PDA

View Full Version : Jacobs

Lyn
08-11-2006, 02:43 PM
The Trib and P-G are both making me wonder just how much of Omar Jacobs we'll see. Both have reported that he's having a tough time grasping the offense and operating as a drop back passer. That's disappointing to read, but maybe the light will click on for him
soon. Then again...

BlackNGold203
08-11-2006, 02:44 PM
tough to tell with young QB's Lyn....they didnt waste a draft pick on this guy for nothing...

83-Steelers-43
08-11-2006, 02:50 PM
At the same time I have not heard many good things pertaining to Boyd either. Gerry Dulac pointed out last night on Sports Beat what I noticed this past Saturday at camp (EDIT: Pertaining to Jacobs). He has a strong arm and his accuracy is solid but he's struggling with the basics.

Lyn
08-11-2006, 02:54 PM
At the same time I have not heard many good things pertaining to Boyd either. Gerry Dulac pointed out last night on Sports Beat what I noticed this past Saturday at camp. He has a strong arm and his accuracy is solid but he's struggling with the basics.

Yes I heard that too, guess we will have to wait and see!~

Elvis
08-11-2006, 04:06 PM
If Shane Boyd is so accurate and has a strong arm then he should be the man to be our no.3 right now. Omar must prove that he is gonna be comfortable in the regular formations or he will Never stay in the NFL. Shane has always been a scrambler and that may be his best asset.

83-Steelers-43
08-11-2006, 04:14 PM
If Shane Boyd is so accurate and has a strong arm then he should be the man to be our no.3 right now.

I'm sorry. I did not word my response very well. When I stated that all reports from camp and from what I saw in person last Saturday was that he showed a strong arm and solid accuracy I was pertaining to Jacobs and not Boyd. My apologies once again wedo, my wording was horrible....lol. I edited my first response.

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
08-11-2006, 04:31 PM
i cant wait to see him play

SteelCzar76
08-11-2006, 04:36 PM
Boyd's not going to beat Omar out for the third Qb spot. Omar will be okay,....he's got all the tools and intellect to get it done in the League. It's just a matter of him getting comfortable and gaining the confidence that only comes when your certain that you know the playbook front to back. He reminds me alot of Ben in certain aspects,....(with the exception of his release point),.....given a little time he should be fine.

"Hail Caesar,.....Hail the Black and Gold"

83-Steelers-43
08-12-2006, 05:21 PM
Well, point proven in this thread.....lol.

nicesteel4life
08-12-2006, 05:26 PM
Well, point proven in this thread.....lol.
AGREE 100% Boyd just hurt himself today

SteelerMurf
08-12-2006, 05:28 PM
Maybe we will find Jacobs is one of those gamers.

I have watched Boyd play in NFL Europe and 2 quarters with the STeelers. I am pretty confident he sucks. No way he makes the team.

I think Cowher wanted Jacobs to have another week to digest before he throws him in against 2nd string opposing team talent.

Ambridge
08-12-2006, 06:17 PM
After one preseason game my opinion of Jacobs thusfar is that he sucks.
No arm strength or zip on the ball and he doesn't look very comfortable out there.

SteelerMurf
08-12-2006, 06:21 PM
No arm strength or zip on the ball and he doesn't look very comfortable out there.

I thought he looked good. He moved when he had to and of course put the touch on the ball where only his TE could catch it.

He went a long way on beating out Boyd today.

bratsinmybelly
08-12-2006, 06:23 PM

That's a pretty tough assesment if you ask me, I remember Ben stinking it up pretty bad during the pre-season last year and he turned out O.K.!

Haiku_Dirtt
08-12-2006, 06:26 PM
The Trib and P-G are both making me wonder just how much of Omar Jacobs we'll see. Both have reported that he's having a tough time grasping the offense and operating as a drop back passer. That's disappointing to read, but maybe the light will click on for him
soon. Then again...

He probably should still be a senior. But then again the sooner you start to learn...but it's very rare when lights just 'click'. Ben probably made it look too easy to a lot of college players. As 83 points out Boyd doesn't give us more. And if that's the case I'd go with the rookie. He made a couple good passes today.

83-Steelers-43
08-12-2006, 06:31 PM
I thought he looked good. He moved when he had to and of course put the touch on the ball where only his TE could catch it.

Same here. He at least got us in the endzone. I think some feel this kid is fighting for our number two spot instead of number three. After this first game, I think I'll take Jacobs over Boyd.

Ambridge
08-12-2006, 06:36 PM
That's a pretty tough assesment if you ask me, I remember Ben stinking it up pretty bad during the pre-season last year and he turned out O.K.!

Ben was a known quantity coming off the '04 season.

tony hipchest
08-12-2006, 06:39 PM
Same here. He at least got us in the endzone. I think some feel this kid is fighting for our number two spot instead of number three. After this first game, I think I'll take Jacobs over Boyd. i think he was drafted as a project with lots of potential. the steelers must think a year with qb coach m. whipple can do him good.

Ambridge
08-12-2006, 06:44 PM

Jacobs looked pretty stiff against the last of the Cards rookies and free agents while Boyd was up against the Phoenix second and third teams.
If you notice as well the Steelers had enough confidence in Boyd to spread the ball around and would have been better than 8-16 for 67yds if some receivers hadn't dropped some very catchable balls that were right in their hands.

The Steelers spoonfed Jacobs with some easy screen and out passes and I wouldn't get all giddy over a push pass for a TD that the TE made look better than it was.

SteelerMurf
08-12-2006, 06:49 PM
Jacobs looked pretty stiff against the last of the Cards rookies and free agents while Boyd was up against the Phoenix second and third teams.
If you notice as well the Steelers had enough confidence in Boyd to spread the ball around and would have been better than 8-16 for 67yds if some receivers hadn't dropped some very catchable balls that were right in their hands.

The Steelers spoonfed Jacobs with some easy screen and out passes and I wouldn't get all giddy over a push pass for a TD that the TE made look better than it was.

I can tell by your spinning you are a Boyd fan and I can tell you are a Jacobs hater.

I find nothing promising out of Boyd. Boyd was around the NFL last year and played in NFL Europe just a couple of months ago. He shouldn't look as raw as Jacobs that is for certain.

bratsinmybelly
08-12-2006, 06:51 PM
Ben was a known quantity coming off the '04 season.

It was known only that his last game had been dreadful. there was alot of pressure on him to perform during those games. I'm just saying that it's a little harsh to say that he sucks after what we've seen. There is lots more to look at before that can be determined.

Ambridge
08-12-2006, 07:15 PM
I can tell by your spinning you are a Boyd fan and I can tell you are a Jacobs hater.

I find nothing promising out of Boyd. Boyd was around the NFL last year and played in NFL Europe just a couple of months ago. He shouldn't look as raw as Jacobs that is for certain.

I'm not a fan or hater of either one and today was the first time I've seen either one of them play.
Unless Jacobs improves his arm strength I don't see him sticking around in the NFL very long. The first thing that came to mind when I seen Jacobs throw was Brian St. Pierre.

I think Boyd makes the final roster and Jacobs gets the practice squad. :cool:

BlackNGold203
08-12-2006, 07:19 PM
I think Boyd makes the final roster and Jacobs gets the practice squad. :cool:

Uhhhhh......no

:cool:

SteelCzar76
08-12-2006, 07:36 PM
Uhhhhh......no

:cool:

LOLOL

"Hail Caesar,.....Hail the Black and Gold"

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
08-12-2006, 07:38 PM
At the same time I have not heard many good things pertaining to Boyd either. Gerry Dulac pointed out last night on Sports Beat what I noticed this past Saturday at camp (EDIT: Pertaining to Jacobs). He has a strong arm and his accuracy is solid but he's struggling with the basics.

I think he will end up being a fine QB.....

swearangen
08-13-2006, 03:56 PM
I'm a BG alum and went to a game last year. I must say Omar throws a nice ball, adjusting to a standard offense will take time but he could be special.

redst3
08-13-2006, 04:16 PM
i think he was drafted as a project with lots of potential. the steelers must think a year with qb coach m. whipple can do him good.

Seems to be the consensus...all we need him to be is a decent 3rd stringer. At this point he is hands down better than Boyd.