PDA

View Full Version : ripping the ball out - forcing fumbles

TRH
12-02-2012, 12:17 PM
watching the Bears game. First drive of the game - Seattle's moving the ball nicely before fumbling it away. Lynch ran the ball and on the way down, the Bears are clawing and trying to rip it away like crazy and Urlacher gets his paws on it, ripping and tearing at it. Bears recover.

Why are we not doing this? 2 teams that i can name right off the top of my head that do this on nearly every play are NE and Chicago.
I've watched this very, very closely for weeks now. We "tackle". Theres very little, if no attempt, to rip the ball away. I see no "clawing", tearing, nothing.
I'm not understanding this.

6RingsAndCounting
12-02-2012, 12:24 PM
To be honest, I don't remember the Steelers ever clawing at the ball in past years. We've always been a very good tackling team under Lebeau, but most fumbles have either came from getting a helmet on the ball or strip sacks (which hasn't happened because there hasn't been much pressure)

I would rather make the sure tackle, but we definitely do need to get back to getting helmets on the football.

Terminator
12-02-2012, 12:33 PM
We are the 2nd worst team in the NFL for turnovers. It apparently is something either not practice or not encouraged.

mikegrimey
12-02-2012, 12:37 PM
Under lovie smith the bears have always been aggressive for the ball. On defense if there's a loose ball, even after the play is dead, you'll see a bears defender jump on it. The patriots are really good at this too now (even though their defense is often porous, they force a lot of turnovers.) it is definitely an area we need to improve on, this year and the last the turnovers just haven't been coming the way they used too.

casteeler
12-02-2012, 12:57 PM
The Steelers will not win this game with out forcing turnovers

GoFor7
12-02-2012, 12:58 PM
Fellow Yinzers, where yunz at? Yinz hear all da AIR-HEAD luvers here say da stiller defense stinks! BOOOOOOO!

Stu Pidasso
12-02-2012, 01:09 PM
I know James Harrison and Woodley always punch for the ball when they get close to the QB, and Ryan Clark on occasion as well. Can't say I have seen anyone else do it. Casey Hampton should be doing it every play.

fer522
12-02-2012, 01:10 PM
:kick::kick:Fellow Yinzers, where yunz at? Yinz hear all da AIR-HEAD luvers here say da stiller defense stinks! BOOOOOOO!

GoFor7
12-02-2012, 01:13 PM
:kick::kick:

YEAH! Yinz kick all dem air-head luvers where it hurt! Dey just want Ben throwin' da ball every down like one a dem sissy teams! Ben ain't even dat good! Da stiller defense wins all da games! How dare dey insult dem! BOOOOOOOO!

Stu Pidasso
12-02-2012, 01:39 PM
JOE RA-SHECKY N'AT

tony hipchest
12-02-2012, 02:56 PM
Fellow Yinzers, where yunz at? Yinz hear all da AIR-HEAD luvers here say da stiller defense stinks! BOOOOOOO!i woiuld expect this post from a raven, bungle or brown troll.

didnt you used to be a pretty good poster who would make salient points in threads on a fairly regular basis?

now it seems the only posting you do is to insult half the fanbase, in true flaming troll fashion.

funny how people will turn when other people completely disagree with them.

i follow the bears very closely ever since they drafted urlacher, and get to see their games just about every week. the players say they practice the returns religiously, not only on turnovers but special teams.

every time they get a return you will see a convoy like james harrison did for his 100 yd return in the SB (something tomlin emphasized that week in prectice).

devin hester is an amazing athelete, but half of his returns are more due to the execution of scheme and practice rather than just raw talent on his part.

everyone should watch the sports science feature of how peanut tillman doesnt claw or grab at the ball, but punches it at such force, its nearly impossible to hold onto if he gets a direct hit.

unfortunately this is the only clip-

l_4R90lgaV4

GoFor7
12-02-2012, 03:07 PM
i woiuld expect this post from a raven, bungle or brown troll.

didnt you used to be a pretty good poster who would make salient points in threads on a fairly regular basis?

now it seems the only posting you do is to insult half the fanbase, in true flaming troll fashion.

funny how people will turn when other people completely disagree with them.

But..... but....... I learned from you Tony that it's okay to insult people when you disagree with them. :noidea:

My thoughts on the defense are simple: they are very good when it comes to limiting yards and points, but they need to start forcing turnovers and giving the offense a shorter field. Those thoughts, in knee-jerkish fashion, get twisted by some on this forum as me saying the defense stinks. Apparently, I'm not the only one who feels the same way about the defense. Otherwise, I don't think this thread would exist.

steelerchad
12-02-2012, 03:15 PM
watching the Bears game. First drive of the game - Seattle's moving the ball nicely before fumbling it away. Lynch ran the ball and on the way down, the Bears are clawing and trying to rip it away like crazy and Urlacher gets his paws on it, ripping and tearing at it. Bears recover.

Why are we not doing this? 2 teams that i can name right off the top of my head that do this on nearly every play are NE and Chicago.
I've watched this very, very closely for weeks now. We "tackle". Theres very little, if no attempt, to rip the ball away. I see no "clawing", tearing, nothing.
I'm not understanding this.

there was a couple of years where Harrison lead the league in Forced Fumbles, but those were mostly from hits and pressure. He's not really been getting pressure or had the motor to get him in position for the big hits with his knee.

tony hipchest
12-02-2012, 03:29 PM
But..... but....... I learned from you Tony that it's okay to insult people when you disagree with them. :noidea:

.so you admit being insulted anytime someone disagrees with you, and now wanna blame me for your appearant trolling and downhill slide as a poster?

laughable.

i dont mean to hurt your feelings, but sack up and get over it.

GoFor7
12-03-2012, 09:01 PM
so you admit being insulted anytime someone disagrees with you, and now wanna blame me for your appearant trolling and downhill slide as a poster?

laughable.

i dont mean to hurt your feelings, but sack up and get over it.

Okay okay, I got it now. Tony can be as big as a bully on these forums as he wants. Everyone else shut up and let your opinions be twisted around by knee-jerk reactions.

Darkstorm05
12-03-2012, 09:42 PM
everyone should watch the sports science feature of how peanut tillman doesnt claw or grab at the ball, but punches it at such force, its nearly impossible to hold onto if he gets a direct hit.

unfortunately this is the only clip-

There's a rather nice Youtube video showing him stripping the ball in a few different scenarios. He constantly leads in with his fist coming to the ball...

iNAbVdCuCE0

Stu Pidasso
12-03-2012, 09:47 PM
Mr. James Harrison had a really nice strip sack last week. Looked good, felt good. He's back!

Hawaii 5-0
12-04-2012, 07:22 PM
maybe we could force more fumbles if other teams' RBs would just carry the ball like this...

http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=716&d=1354664998