PDA

View Full Version : Now, aren't you happy Ben didn't play

ETL
12-02-2012, 11:14 PM
I will confess, after last week's poor performance, I did not think we would win today against the Ravens on their home field with Batch at QB.

Still, I believed it was more important to have a healthy Ben than win this particular game. Getting this win however, was one of the sweetest thing that I have experienced as a Steeler fan. Thank you Charlie.

Thank you for beating our most hated rival, thank you for getting us a win when we didn't expect one and thank you for allowing Ben to rest.

Now ... on to the Super Bowl

Hawaii 5-0
12-02-2012, 11:30 PM
Batch aces second chance

By Mike Prisuta

BALTIMORE – Charlie Batch knew he’d have to play better than he had in Cleveland.

His steadfast belief that he could and that he would was what had Batch longing for the chance to do so against the Baltimore Ravens last Sunday afternoon at M&T Bank Stadium.

“I’ve been in this league for 15 years,” Batch reminded the media after quarterbacking the Steelers to an improbable, come-from-behind, 23-20 triumph. “I’ve been a starter in the league.

“One thing that you can’t do is dwell on the past. No matter what, all you can ask for is another opportunity. I was very appreciative that Coach (Mike) Tomlin) gave me that opportunity.”

Batch made the most of it by completing 25 of 36 passes for 276 yards, with one touchdown and one interception. It was the most passing yards for Batch since he threw for 436 for Detroit on Nov. 18, 2001 at Arizona.

His numbers in the second half, during which the Steelers rallied from a 13-6 deficit, included 16 completions on 20 attempts for 219 of his passing yards.

Batch’s stats on the Steelers’ final two possessions of the game – a four-play, 27-yard march to the touchdown that tied things up at 20-20, and a 12-play, 61-yard matriculation down the field that ended with Shaun Suisham’s last-play, game-winning field goal – were a perfect 8-for-8 for 72 yards and a touchdown.

The interception Batch threw in the Ravens’ end zone with just over 11 minutes left in the fourth quarter turned out to be the last play Batch didn’t make.

“This is big,” Batch said. “To do something that nobody outside our locker room thought we could do, this is big. I wanted this opportunity because I had played poorly (on Nov. 25 in Cleveland). I wanted an opportunity to come out and prove it and lead this team. I knew going into it I had to play better. The receivers did a great job getting open. The offensive line did a great job protecting.

“I was able to set my feet and just go out there and play ball and have fun.”

Batch’s most unlikely contribution may have been the block he threw after getting out in front of running back Jonathan Dwyer on what became a 16-yard touchdown run that tied the game at 13-13 early in the third quarter.

Batch saved his most clutch throws for the drive on which the Steelers closed out the game as regulation time was expiring.

The Steelers took over at their 15-yard line with 6:14 left in the fourth quarter.

Batch’s 5-for-5 effort on the drive included a 15-yard completion to wide receiver Mike Wallace that converted a third-and-7 from the Pittsburgh 18-yard line, a 9-yard completion to wide receiver Antonio Brown that moved the chains on second-and-6 from the Steelers’ 47-yard line, and a 10-yard hookup with Wallace that, coupled with a tacked-on, 15-yard penalty for roughing the passer, positioned Suisham to end it.

“We talked about a 60-minute game,” said Batch, who improved to 6-3 as a starter for the Steelers. “The way this series goes it’s always whoever has the ball last pretty much wins.

“We didn’t want to put our defense back on the field.”

http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Batch-aces-second-chance/7e126ae6-78c9-4dbc-b4fd-99650a0da186

tony hipchest
12-02-2012, 11:45 PM
we held the ball for the final 6 minutes of the game before winning it with a FG.

i commend the job bruce arians is doing in indy, but if he were still here, we lose today, either by not scoring at all, or by not being able to put together some 4 minute offense.

GMU Steeler
12-02-2012, 11:47 PM
we held the ball for the final 6 minutes of the game before winning it with a FG.

i commend the job bruce arians is doing in indy, but if he were still here, we lose today, either by not scoring at all, or by not being able to put together some 4 minute offense.
True. Haley is much better at closing a game than Arians ever was. I'll give him props on the job he's doing in Indy but I'm very happy we have Haley coaching the offense now.

LambertWardSteel
12-02-2012, 11:50 PM
Great game, Charlie!

OX1947
12-02-2012, 11:50 PM
True. Haley is much better at closing a game than Arians ever was. I'll give him props on the job he's doing in Indy but I'm very happy we have Haley coaching the offense now.

Haley called a near flawless game. If he wasn't a psychopath and had a franchise Qb, he would be able to be a head coach in the NFL for a long time.

teegre
12-02-2012, 11:57 PM
Haley called a near flawless game. If he wasn't a psychopath and had a franchise Qb, he would be able to be a head coach in the NFL for a long time.

Some dudes are just better coordinators than head coaches: LeBeau for one... Norv Turner is another.

Both of those guys are great coordinators... but, made/make terrible head coaches.

OX1947
12-03-2012, 12:08 AM
Some dudes are just better coordinators than head coaches: LeBeau for one... Norv Turner is another.

Both of those guys are great coordinators... but, made/make terrible head coaches.

Lebeau had horrible teams in Cincy and Haley had horrible teams in KC and still won a division title. Haley could be a great coach, he needs a Tom Brady or Big Ben type to sustain.

teegre
12-03-2012, 12:14 AM
Lebeau had horrible teams in Cincy and Haley had horrible teams in KC and still won a division title. Haley could be a great coach, he needs a Tom Brady or Big Ben type to sustain.

KC was & still in loaded with talent. But, you hit the nail on the head: QB.

Belichick without Brady: sucks.
Belchick with Brady: HOFer.

Fire Haley
12-03-2012, 08:03 AM
Charlie Batch outplayed Joe Flacco.

That's a game I will never forget

casteeler
12-03-2012, 08:30 AM
My Liver's not happy Ben didn't start:alcoholic

steelerchad
12-03-2012, 08:43 AM

You are right about that. No way we manage the clock down like that and win at the end with Bruce "I think I just out thunk myself" Arians.

desertsteel
12-03-2012, 09:11 AM

Both of those guys are great coordinators... but, made/make terrible head coaches.I think Haley will be a HC again, as early as next year. No HC is good without a franchise QB. And he certainly didn't have that in KC.

torpedoshell31
12-03-2012, 11:31 AM
If we go on to win #7 this year, a big thank you has to go to Charlie for his gutsy performance. That being said let's get Ben back in the lineup and run the table the rest of the year.

steelfury02
12-03-2012, 01:13 PM
If we go on to win #7 this year, a big thank you has to go to Charlie for his gutsy performance. That being said let's get Ben back in the lineup and run the table the rest of the year.

yup - and from the sounds of it, the players aren't by any means satisfied, unlike our purple counterparts - who still act like they won the Super Bowl after they lost lol

SteelersCanada
12-03-2012, 01:43 PM
I think Haley will be a HC again, as early as next year. No HC is good without a franchise QB. And he certainly didn't have that in KC.

The real question here is, would Haley want to leave? He's coaching for a team that is a perennial contender and where he grew up. I can't think of a more perfect situation for him.

GMU Steeler
12-03-2012, 01:52 PM
The real question here is, would Haley want to leave? He's coaching for a team that is a perennial contender and where he grew up. I can't think of a more perfect situation for him.

Depends on the offer and where it would be I guess. I do remember Whisenhunt turning down a HC spot in Oakland after Super Bowl XL.

Hawaii 5-0
12-03-2012, 01:56 PM
My Liver's not happy Ben didn't start:alcoholic

:chuckle: :drink:

OX1947
12-03-2012, 03:24 PM
Technically and mathematically, the Steelers only need to win the next 3 games to guarantee at least the 6th seed. So, if you can win the next 3, you can rest starters for week 17 before going into the playoffs.