PDA

View Full Version : Should Ben play hurt against the Chargers?

ETL
12-03-2012, 12:42 AM
San Diego is out of the playoff picture with eight losses.

With a win against the Ravens, we have a loss to "give" in that we can still make the playoffs if we win our final 3 games against the Cowboys, Bengals and Browns - no matter what the Bengals do.

And seeing a rejuvinated Charlie Batch out there - I think we have a good chance to beat the Chargers at home with Batch.

If Ben is still hurt - I would recommend that he sit out the Chargers game as well. Again, I do not see us going anywhere in the post season without a healthy Ben and that is why I am advocating sitting him unless he is 100%.

As I see it, the only argument for Ben playing is a small possibility of taking the division championship over the Raven - but I think that is too slim of a chance and most likely, it would not earn us a bye.

StainlessStill
12-03-2012, 12:47 AM
Rest Ben until he's healthy! No matter the circumstances!

I expected him to be back @ Dallas anyhow but make no mistake, Ben's gonna try his hardest this week....

SteelBobbleHead
12-03-2012, 12:55 AM
I hope the coaches start whoever they feel gives the team the best chance to win. Whether that be a Big Ben at 80% or Charlie.

I am not sure winning the division is as far as a stretch as you believe. The ravens have a fairly tough schedule the rest of the way.
redskins this week. The ravens are weak against the run. redskins pound it as good as anyone between RG3 and Morris.
Manning brothers back to back (luckily they get to playt them at home) then off to cinci to finish the season.

I do agree that all that winning the division will do is get the a home game in the wild card round.

OX1947
12-03-2012, 12:58 AM
Maybe have Ben be the back up and use him just in case. You know how the Steelers love to play against crap teams.

SoCalFan
12-03-2012, 01:17 AM
I say rest him, BUT Ben knows his body best and most likely he will try his hardest to play! Im not familiar with the pass rush of the bolts, any good?

It may be a good thing to play him to knock some rust off (doubt he really has any) in a pound the ball short pass game!?

PhantomJB93
12-03-2012, 01:34 AM
After this week, we can afford the risk of Charlie again. Another week of practice can only make Batch more comfortable in the offense. Not exactly that we can AFFORD to lose, it's still a tight race, but most people expected us to be coming into this game 6-6 and behind the Bungals in the WC race. We can win with Charlie, and if we don't, we can still make the playoffs as long as we don't lose again.

Had we lost to Baltimore, I would be arguing for Ben to play no matter what, even if he wasn't at 100% yet. With a TINY bit of breathing room at 7-5, and Batch only getting more comfortable filling in at QB each day, I think the risk of playing Ben hurt outweighs the risk of playing Charlie healthy and losing because of it.

I do think if he's close to returning, Ben should dress just in case we need him, but not play unless Charlie get's hurt or is UNBELIEVABLY awful, the latter of which I'm not expecting.

dez09231
12-03-2012, 01:41 AM
The end goal is a ring. I don't care abou merely making the playoffs, and we saw what happens if Ben is too hurt last year.

Rest him. A hurt Ben isn't going to take us into the belly of the beast 3 weeks in a row and get a W anyway.

bornaSteelersfan
12-03-2012, 02:56 AM
If Ben is healthy enough to play, then he should play. Batch played a great game today, but even Ben can lose to inferior teams on any given Sunday. There really is no breathing room. We don't want the pressure of having to "win out". We still need Charlie as our backup and he took a lot of hard hits today. I am ready for Ben and maybe Batch is, too.

BlaZeQuietly
12-03-2012, 08:35 PM
This is a rhetorical question. It all depends on if hes healthy! Batch has proved to be good enough to fill in for him, so if hes still in pain and cant perform well then obviously he needs to sit. We are starting to approach that time frame where we might have to worry about him getting rusty, i think its important that he get him back in the flow for as many regular season games as possible so he can shake the rust off.

steelerchad
12-03-2012, 08:47 PM
I don't want to push our luck with Batch. Thanks for the win Charlie, but if Ben can play, take a seat.

ChristianKustomz
12-03-2012, 08:49 PM
It's not worth his life. It's just a game...no matter how bad I want us to win. I am curious who the one person was that voted for Bens funeral?

GoFor7
12-03-2012, 09:06 PM
Isn't this thread a little premature considering no one here is his doctor and can't possibly know his medical status?

BlaZeQuietly
12-03-2012, 09:26 PM
Isn't this thread a little premature considering no one here is his doctor and can't possibly know his medical status?

Exactly, I've been under the impression he would be back for this game, general consensus was 2-3 weeks, so he will probably be ready to play.

teegre
12-03-2012, 09:30 PM

Well... I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

StainlessStill
12-03-2012, 09:34 PM
Here's what Norv said about the Steelers:

"Obviously we've been in two close games," said head coach Norv Turner, referring to the Chargers losses to Baltimore and Cincinnati. "We're playing a team this weekend that I think is probably better than both those teams, and more physical than both those teams."

BlaZeQuietly
12-03-2012, 09:39 PM
Here's what Norv said about the Steelers:

Of course were better than baltimore an cinci:tt02:

kent
12-03-2012, 09:43 PM
It's not worth his life. It's just a game...no matter how bad I want us to win. I am curious who the one person was that voted for Bens funeral?

The doctors wont let him play unless the rib is fully healed and is in no life threatening danger. If he wants to go out there and play with a bum shoulder than thats his choice. FYI i voted for him to rest cause I dont want to see him hobbled in the playoffs like last year.

Fire Arians
12-03-2012, 09:44 PM
if ben is healthy enough to go he should. if not, in batch we trust!

ETL
12-03-2012, 09:59 PM

It takes about 6 weeks for that separated shoulder to heal. Ben will not be close to 100% until the Browns game - last regular season game.

The more time Ben has to heal, the LOWER his risk of having another injury in that area.

The opposing team knows where Ben is hurting and will hit him deliberately in those areas to aggravate the injury.

So, my point with this poll is - DO WE NEED TO RISK BEN DURING THIS WEEK? I already pointed out that even if we lose to the Chargers, we will still make the playoffs if we win our final 3 games.

In my view, if there is no reason to risk any injury to Ben, there is no reason to play him.

Fire Arians
12-03-2012, 10:16 PM
ben shouldn't be rushed back, batch proved he could manage the game and win against a good team.

defense is playing lights out, our offense just needs to not give the game away and i feel good about our chances against any of the remaining games.

Goldsteel86
12-03-2012, 10:37 PM
Ben was medically cleared to play this week against the Ravens, the decision was on him whether to play or not. I say if he is healthy enough to play then let him play, the Chargers always play the Steelers tough, each week is starting to matter. I would like to see Ben get at least some reps getting closer to the playoffs, also Baltimore has a tough game in Washington this week, a possible loss could mean the Steelers get one game closer as the Ravens are starting to become more one dimensional with all the injuries they have sustained defensively.

Lady Steel
12-04-2012, 12:23 AM
No.

Hawaii 5-0
12-04-2012, 12:27 AM
No.

of course not...

Lady Steel
12-04-2012, 12:41 AM
See how we finish each other's sentences? :laughing:

Fire Arians
12-04-2012, 12:57 AM
should he play hurt? only if the pain doesn't prohibit the playing

should he play injured? NO

Hawaii 5-0
12-04-2012, 01:00 AM
See how we finish each other's sentences? :laughing:

:hug: :drink:

Quackjack
12-04-2012, 03:52 AM
If he feels he needs more time, let him rest.

steelfury02
12-04-2012, 08:20 AM
its a toss up for me - there's the risk argument, rust argument, and all hands on deck argument - I don't know which to pick.

How about the - "let's have him go harder in practice this week and dress" ?

Terminator
12-04-2012, 08:46 AM
If he can throw the ball without anything affecting his ability, then yes, he should play.

If not, then start Leftwhich, and cycle in Batch if Lefty can't do it.

Chargers suck ass and have nothing left to play for.

We absolutely must have Ben back for Dallas, though. They are desperately trying to make the playoffs and will be bringing their A game.

WVABE
12-04-2012, 10:36 AM
Ben needs to heal, no ifs ands or buts about it,
why risk any further delays, make him our 3rd qb and let it be.

steelfury02
12-04-2012, 10:59 AM
Ben needs to heal, no ifs ands or buts about it,
why risk any further delays, make him our 3rd qb and let it be.

that Dallas game is gonna be tough as hell - I have confidence that our D can frustrate Tony Schlomo

Hawaii 5-0
12-05-2012, 12:22 AM
Roethlisberger tries to pass practice test

By F. Dale Lolley
published dec 4, 2012

http://ORweb.SX2.atl.publicus.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?Site=OR&Date=20121204&Category=SPORTS0403&ArtNo=121209736&Ref=AR&q=100&maxw=550&maxh=500

Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger watches the action from the sidelines during the first half of Sunday’s game against the Ravens.

PITTSBURGH – If Ben Roethlisberger is going to play for the Steelers this weekend, then he has to show head coach Mike Tomlin that he’s healthy enough to be effective.

Tomlin said Tuesday that Roethlisberger successfully threw again Monday as he attempts to return from rib and shoulder injuries that have sidelined him the last three games.

But the true test for Pittsburgh’s starting quarterback will be completing practices as the Steelers (7-5) prepare to play the Chargers (4-8) Sunday at Heinz Field.

“We’ll see what it looks like on the football field,” said Tomlin. “He’ll be given an opportunity to prove he is healthy. In the meanwhile, Charlie (Batch) is our guy. We’ll prepare and plan with that in mind, just like we did a week ago.”

Roethlisberger was cleared to resume throwing last week, but wasn’t ready to play in the Steelers’ 23-20 win at Baltimore. The Steelers expect that Roethlisberger to play against San Diego, but are making contingency plans for Batch as well.

Batch made his second consecutive start Sunday. The Steelers were beaten, 20-14 at Cleveland Nov. 25, in Batch’s first start in place of Roethlisberger. Batch threw three interceptions and the Steelers lost five fumbles at Cleveland. But the 15-year-veteran, who celebrates his 38th birthday today, rebounded against the Ravens, passing for 276 yards and a touchdown in leading Pittsburgh in a fourth-quarter comeback.

“We’re happy for and proud of Charlie,” said Tomlin. “He made all of the necessary plays for us not only physically, but emotionally. He was solid throughout (and) did an awesome job communicating.”

If Roethlisberger shows he is ready to play, then he will start against the Chargers. Tomlin said there is an opportunity for Batch to start.

“It depends on what the week tells us,” said Tomlin. “It would be premature to make those judgments until we see what (Roethlisberger) looks like throwing the football in 11-on-11 or 7-on-7 settings.

“Obviously, Ben is our quarterback and if he’s capable of playing, then we’re going to play him.”

The news was not as good for Ike Taylor, who was injured on the second play of the game against the Ravens. Taylor suffered a hairline fracture in his right ankle that will end his consecutive games played streak at 135, the longest current streak for any NFL cornerback.

“You can say a lot of things about Ike, and a lot of positive things, but probably the thing that sticks out the most is his durability and availability,” said Tomlin. “This guy hasn’t missed practices, let alone football games, since I’ve been here. We’re in a unique territory in that regard.”

With Taylor out, the Steelers will turn to Cortez Allen to replace him, as they did in Baltimore, with fellow second-year cornerback Curtis Brown playing on passing downs in the nickel defense.

“They’re both talented young guys who are continuing to improve and prove that the stage isn’t too big for them,” Tomlin said. “Obviously, we need them to answer the bell as we continue to push into a territory that we haven’t been in since I’ve been here.”

Odds and end zones

Fullback Will Johnson suffered a concussion against the Ravens but has passed preliminary tests and is expected to play against the Chargers. … In addition to Taylor, right tackle Mike Adams (ankle) is expected to miss the game. … The Steelers expect to have guard Willie Colon and wide receiver Jerricho Cotchery back this week. Both players have missed the last two games with injuries. … Linebacker LaMarr Woodley (ankle) is questionable to play. ... Tomlin said he expected to use the same running back rotation this week, with Jonathan Dwyer starting and Isaac Redmanas the backup. Former starter Rashard Mendenhall was inactive Sunday despite being healthy.

http://www.observer-reporter.com/article/20121204/SPORTS0403/121209736#.UL7Z_c2FEmw

maddog78
12-05-2012, 07:56 AM
He's not going to be 100% for the rest of the year. Neither is Troy, Harrison, Woodley, Brown, Sanders, and most other players.

Maybe we should just forfeit the season and rest them all until everyone is 100%. Then do it again after the first game they play.

ETL
12-05-2012, 08:07 AM
He's not going to be 100% for the rest of the year. Neither is Troy, Harrison, Woodley, Brown, Sanders, and most other players.

Maybe we should just forfeit the season and rest them all until everyone is 100%. Then do it again after the first game they play.

As usual, another fan has totally missed the point and gone off the deep end . If u can read, we are talking about giving our team the best chance to win the Super Bowl. Does resting Ben give our Steelers the best chance to win in the playoffs and the championship.

maddog78
12-05-2012, 08:26 AM
As usual, another fan has totally missed the point and gone off the deep end . If u can read, we are talking about giving our team the best chance to win the Super Bowl. Does resting Ben give our Steelers the best chance to win in the playoffs and the championship.

That question is unanswerable. If Batch plays like he did in Cleveland against SD's 9th ranked defense, the Steelers could fall a game behind the Bengals and miss the playoffs altogether.

None of the last four games are guaranteed. If Ben is deemed healthy to play and not at greater than normal risk to re-injure himself, he should play and give us the best chance to win.

ETL
12-05-2012, 10:38 AM
That question is unanswerable. If Batch plays like he did in Cleveland against SD's 9th ranked defense, the Steelers could fall a game behind the Bengals and miss the playoffs altogether.

None of the last four games are guaranteed. If Ben is deemed healthy to play and not at greater than normal risk to re-injure himself, he should play and give us the best chance to win.

Well guess what? Tomlin has to answer that question and he gets paid to answer it. If he is right - accolades to him. If he is wrong, he has to face the criticism.

As fans, we can discuss this as we are doing now. If you are telling me that questions are not worth talking about then you don't need to be here. What the hell is a message board anyways for.

maddog78
12-05-2012, 10:43 AM
Well guess what? Tomlin has to answer that question and he gets paid to answer it. If he is right - accolades to him. If he is wrong, he has to face the criticism.

As fans, we can discuss this as we are doing now. If you are telling me that questions are not worth talking about then you don't need to be here. What the hell is a message board anyways for.

Let's try it this way. Why would resting your best player during an intense playoff race help your chances of winning the Super Bowl?

maddog78
12-05-2012, 10:49 AM

Winner.

maddog78
12-05-2012, 10:51 AM
Ben was medically cleared to play this week against the

No he wasn't. The PG squashed La Canfora's rumor like a little bug.

SoCalFan
12-05-2012, 10:53 AM
All I know is, a 75% Ben is better than a 100% Batch!

The game plan with Ben in is key! Hand the ball off and GET RID OF THE BALL QUICKLY!!! Also the fact the O-line is playing really well will be a factor!!!

jrompola
12-05-2012, 11:55 AM
That should be the gameplan most games, but do you really think Ben won't try and extend the play? I know he'll play the same way he always does which is why we love what he does on the field

All I know is, a 75% Ben is better than a 100% Batch!

The game plan with Ben in is key! Hand the ball off and GET RID OF THE BALL QUICKLY!!! Also the fact the O-line is playing really well will be a factor!!!

SoCalFan
12-05-2012, 12:01 PM
That should be the gameplan most games, but do you really think Ben won't try and extend the play? I know he'll play the same way he always does which is why we love what he does on the field

If the line gives him the time they gave Batch, he wont need to extend many plays but yes of course, if the pocket breaks down, he will do what he does best! Good thing is, SDs D is 26th in the league against the pass!:tt03: