PDA

View Full Version : What do you guys think of the beat writers?

desertsteel
12-03-2012, 06:33 AM
What do you guys think of the beat writers for the Trib and Post Gazette? Who is your favorite and who don't you like?

I think Bouchette is pretty good. He emailed me during a game against TN a few years back about how the Steelers were playing that day. That was kind of cool. Overall, he's usually on target. I have read a few guys who don't know their facts though and that always bugs me.

Whodis
12-03-2012, 09:28 AM
Ed Bouchette is one of the better ones, but he comes off really arrogant in his chats. Ron Cook is the worse and seems to write whatever the front office wants, with no real opinion. I use to like the guy from a web site (I cant remember his user name) that would write some really cool stories. "Still" something??

austinfrench76
12-03-2012, 06:15 PM
Bouchette is good, just ask him.

desertsteel
12-03-2012, 06:22 PM
Bouchette is good, just ask him.

Lol. He is a little cocky.

Hawaii 5-0
12-03-2012, 06:26 PM
I use to like the guy from a web site (I cant remember his user name) that would write some really cool stories.

Jim Wexell?

GoFor7
12-03-2012, 09:04 PM
Jim Wexell?

"Mike Wallace signed 5yrs/$42 million." :chuckle:

Atlanta Dan
12-04-2012, 06:46 AM
The Trib-Review writers try harder than Dulac and Ed.B. of the P-G.

I like Bouchette but Alan Robinson at thew Trib-Review is a former national writer for AP and Mark Kaboly is much better at Twitter updates than the old guys at the P-G

The P-G columnists Ron Cook and Gene Collier are horrible

zcoop
12-04-2012, 06:33 PM
Don't have much use for them. I consider them, talking heads with a keyboard. They are responsible for stirring up a lot of shit with half truths just to get readership.

SteelersCanada
12-04-2012, 07:29 PM
I don't really like Bouchette. He comes off as arrogant and talks down to guys that don't know the intricacies of the game like the rest of us do. If you follow him on twitter, you'll see guys ask him general questions and the answers he gives back are mostly unnecessary sarcasm. Dave Bryan is also guilty of this, but at least he responds with humor most of the time.

There's very few I like - maybe it's because I'm from Canada. What I like the most - by far - are the columns written by the players. Taylor has one on Triblive, and there's a couple other ones written by players that aren't necessarily about individual games, but provide a general view of how the team is doing.

Hawaii 5-0
12-04-2012, 07:37 PM
"Mike Wallace signed 5yrs/$42 million." :chuckle:

yeah, that was a major faux pas by Wexell...:chuckle:

tony hipchest
12-04-2012, 07:42 PM
they provide the neccessary steelers information i desire.

writers can be wrong and thats fine, but i general i really enjoy the articles by bouchette, kaboly, robinson, kovacevic, wexell, bires.

i enjoy following them on twitter as well.

although there are some that suck like cook, madden, prisco (on a national level) i dont really understand the wide disdain for the media.

desertsteel
12-04-2012, 07:53 PM
For me, I like opinions, even if I disagree with them. On the other hand, I can't stand a guy who doesn't know his facts, like what round a player was drafted or where he went to school. It's like, I know this stuff as a fan and you get paid to know it and don't.

Dino 6 Rings
12-04-2012, 10:43 PM
Cook can kiss my ass.

I listen to the Trib Live guys on a podcast all the time. They might not be 'writers' but those guys are good plus I get to hear some Mike Logan.

TheVet
12-04-2012, 10:45 PM
What do you get when you combine ignorance with hyperactivity and narcissism? Cook is the worst. Absolutely the worst.

Bouchette has some good stuff.

Hard to respect Dulac when I outpick him almost every week ... for years running ... and I'm just some random guy ...

VaDave
12-06-2012, 07:30 AM
they provide the neccessary steelers information i desire.

writers can be wrong and thats fine, but i general i really enjoy the articles by bouchette, kaboly, robinson, kovacevic, wexell, bires.

i enjoy following them on twitter as well.

although there are some that suck like cook, madden, prisco (on a national level) i dont really understand the wide disdain for the media.

I enjoy reading just about all of these guys, but I take them for what they are really trying to do, and that is to sell ad space. If you take anything in the media for gospel, you are going to be let down sooner or later, because the truth is not the primary objective, it's how can we attract readers.to drive revenue.