HometownGal
08-11-2006, 05:20 PM
Very good read on Pennsylvania's next governor! :smile: :jammin:

http://www.swannforgovernor.com/news/Read.aspx?ID=178

Swann Rising
Monday, August 07, 2006
By Jay Nordlinger
National Review

Lynn Swann is in motion, pushing a gray-haired lady in a wheel?chair to her poker game. When she gets there, she asks the young man his name. He says, ?I?m Lynn Swann.? She says, ?No, you?re not, you?re sh**tin? me.? I?m given to understand that this is the way grannies talk in western Pennsylvania.

We?re in Castle Shannon, a community outside Pittsburgh, at a summer festival. Swann is running for governor, on the Republican ticket. Very few people have to ask his name. He shows up ? anywhere in the state, by all accounts ? and they come running to him. Swann is a football hero, particularly in this area. He played for the Pittsburgh Steelers from 1974 to 1983, helping to win four Super Bowls, winding up in the Hall of Fame. (Swann was a wide receiver.) He still looks like he could suit up, too, fit as he is.

About a half-hour later, we?re at another summer festival, in South Park (not to be confused with the South Park of television notoriety). A polka band plays on the stage. And the candidate is being showered with ?Lynn love,? as his staff calls it. People receive him ecstatically, their faces all alight. Men want to jaw with him, women want to hug him. After meeting Swann, a man looks at me wonderingly and says, ?I shook his hand.? Almost everyone wants a picture and an autograph. Swann will pose for any picture ? and answer any question, at length ? but he won?t sign an autograph. He?d never make it out of any campaign event, he explains. It would be nonstop signing.

When he enters the bingo tent, the players cheer and squeal, like bobbysoxers at Sinatra. He is privileged to call out the next number. ?S-88,? he says, to a roar of laughter. (Eighty-eight was his Steelers number, and S, of course, is his initial.) He then says he can?t read the real number without his glasses ? ?like a lot of you,? he adds, to more appreciative laughter. Swann is a bit of a teaser, but of a gentle, charming type.

Many athletes have run for office. These include Bill Bradley (basketball), Jim Bunning (baseball), Steve Largent (football), and Jim Ryun (the miler) ? and I have named only political winners. Athletic celebrity aside, Swann is one of three black Republicans running in prominent races this year. The others are Michael Steele, the Senate candidate in Maryland, and Kenneth Blackwell, the gubernatorial candidate in Ohio.

Swann is a conservative, and a classic Reagan conservative. (So are Steele and Blackwell, incidentally.) He?s against high taxation, big spending, and heavy regulation. He is pro-life, pro-enterprise, and pro-reform. He?s pushing all sorts of reform, in welfare policy, tort law, and so on. In fact, his campaign bus is called ?Reform One.? Swann talks a lot about ?standing on your own two feet,? in part so you can help others, who have more difficulty standing. And he believes that political leaders should have the guts to say no.

Swann?s opponent is the incumbent governor, Ed Rendell. Before being sent to Harrisburg, he was mayor of Philadelphia and chairman of the Democratic National Committee. Rendell is a canny politician, not ostentatiously left-wing. He knows how to employ a populist touch ? more bowling and beer than windsurfing and ?Why can?t I have my water??

The political pros say that Rendell will beat Swann, for a number of reasons. First, Pennsylvanians have never ? never ? ousted an incumbent governor, odd as that may seem. Second, the state has been trending Democratic, becoming ever ?bluer.? Third, the electoral ducks are in Philadelphia and environs, Rendell territory. Fourth, this is a lousy Republican year ? for one thing, President Bush is unpopular.

Fifth, Swann is a novice, starry as he may be. And he?s up against a tough, bruising veteran. But Swann scoffs at any suggestion of unreadiness, certainly when it comes to governing. He mentions several politicians whose maiden office was governor: Bush, Reagan, Mitt Romney, Arnold. (Somehow he neglects to mention Jesse Ventura.) Swann does not lack for confidence. But it?s not a ****y confidence ? more serene.

The morning after those festivals, in his Pittsburgh campaign office, we talk about his life and views. Swann was born in 1952, in Alcoa, Tenn. (home of the aluminum company). His father was a jan?itor. When Lynn was quite young, the family moved to San Mateo, Calif. They attended a Baptist church, where Lynn preached on Children?s Day, at least once. He re?mains a devoted Baptist, and is joined in that faith by his wife, Charena. They have two sons, ten and eight.

Lynn was elected president of his eighth-grade class (and says now that he is running for a lower office). But he had little time for politics after that; he was too busy being a sports star. It?s helpful to bear in mind that we are talking about someone who has been famous, pretty much, since he was in college. His fav?orite sport was basketball, and he was recruited by John Wooden, the legendary coach at UCLA. But he went to USC to play football.

As Swann tells it, he wasn?t especially talented, in relation to others. But he worked very hard, and was very, very competitive. He also had what he de?scribes as ?gamesmanship?: ?I understood how to play the game ? whatever game it was ? and paid attention to the nuances. I learned how to position myself against an opponent. I just found a way to win.? And does that ability transfer to politics? ?We?ll see,? says Swann.

After his professional football career, he engaged in a package of activities. He was a broadcaster for ABC Sports. He toured the country as a speaker, and sat on several corporate boards. He hosted a game show for a while (To Tell the Truth). He was an important player in the Big Brothers/Big Sisters organization. From 2002 to 2005, he was chairman of the President?s Coun?cil on Physical Fitness and Sports. All the while, he has been making political contacts, preparing, in a way, for the new career.

Swann was ?born? a Democrat, but be?came a Republican in the 1970s, thinking for himself, coming into his own. He was a friend of Pennsylvania senator John Heinz, who died in a plane crash in 1991. And what did he think of the senator?s wife? ?I?ve always liked Teresa,? he says.

Asked whether he has any political models, he says no. (I?ve never heard a politician give that answer to this question, by the way.) He philosophizes a bit, touching on the ?Freudian? and ?Jungian? aspects of the human animal. He says that people can change how they think and how they live; they need not be trapped by their (temporary) circumstances. ?We have choices, we have freedoms.?

He also talks about suffering and its uses, citing Job in particular. I remark that, to the outsider, he himself seems not to have suffered much. He was a golden child, blessed with looks, smarts, charisma, and gobs of talent (no matter what he says). He has been a champ in virtually everything he has ever tried. You would think that he?d never broken a sweat. Not so?

?Not so,? says Swann, smilingly. He then reflects on race and racism. He mentions four hugely successful black Americans: the CEO of American Ex?press, the CEO of Time Warner, the sec?retary of state, and her immediate predecessor. None of them whooshed his way to the top. But Swann is adamant on the need to ?get away from excuses and start executing a plan.? He likes to say, ?Never let anyone make you less than who you are, or what you can be.? He also says, ?Don?t live in the gutter.? And, ?Your greatest obstacle is the person who looks at you in the mirror? ? we all have choices.

Obviously, Swann takes some heat from his fellow blacks, for his party affiliation and his beliefs. But he doesn?t mind the heat, and says that many black Dem?ocrats are supporting him (some publicly, some quietly). And he doesn?t need the vote of every citizen: ?This is not a perfect world ? 51 percent would be just fine.? I ask whether he ever faces open resentment from black men, in particular. He answers, simply and straightforwardly, ?Yes.? And how does he deal with that? Does he try to reach such people, or does he merely slough it off? ?I go case by case,? Swann says.

At this point in the campaign, he?s behind Ed Rendell in fundraising, but President Bush is coming in soon, to make up some of the difference. This year, a lot of Republicans are running away from Bush, but Swann is upfront in his admiration. He says, ?I think he?s done a tremendous job,? with challenges of an extraordinary nature. History will credit him, says Swann, if written fairly.

Swann won?t contemplate life after a November loss, because he won?t contemplate a loss. He?s going all out, from early morning to late at night, executing his plan, making adjustments as necessary. The latest polls have him between 10 and 15 points down. His staff points out that Rendell has been spending his money, airing TV ads, which have been unanswered by Swann. The Republican?s own ads won?t go up until after Labor Day. And then it will be a whole new ballgame, they say.

Leaving Swann?s headquarters, I jump into a cab, driven by a man in a Steelers jersey. I tell him I?ve just been with ol? No. 88, who looks like he could still play today. The driver ? a rough-talking, left-leaning political analyst ? says, ?Well, he might as well start running pass routes, because he sure as hell won?t be governor of this state.? That is, indeed, the conventional wisdom. I myself am not so sure. We might want to check back in, round about the end of October.

Steel Warrior
08-11-2006, 08:36 PM
Blah, blah, blah, blah. That said, hoping the best for him.

:wink:

LambertIsGod58
08-12-2006, 08:46 AM
I hope Swann loses....and I don't care about any of his political views...One year they had a benefit for Mike Webster when he was still alive. Remember, he was homeless for a while....many of his former teammates got together for a public signing to raise money for Webby. Swann declined b/c he said he wouldn't do it for free. Now, if he won't do that for a teammate that he played with for 10 yrs....what's he gonna do for the citizens of Pennsylvannia? F*ck Lynn Swann...If I ever get the chance, I'd love to spat in his face!

BlackNGold203
08-12-2006, 09:04 AM
I think Lynn may have an unclimbable hill in front of him.....

I'm sure he will hold his own in Pittsburgh...on name alone if nothing else....

But Fast Eddie OWNS Philly....

I'm certainly not a Rendell fan by any means...I'm just saying....this is gonna be a hard one for him to win

SteelCityMan786
08-12-2006, 01:41 PM
Ok some reasons why Dead Spendell will LOSE the race

1. Education- Class levels have not gotten ANY SMALLER in any class room that I have stepped in Hollidaysburg and he promised smaller class sizes. Count that up as 1 busted promise

2. The State Budget- He has bloated the budget WAY too much. He has put more into the emergency funds then has to the more important reasons.

3. Taxes- where are the lower taxes Ed? Everyone seems to be paying just as much as they did when you took over for Schweiker

4. Jobs- Where are they Ed? We are losing as many jobs as we are gaining. at least in the Republican Counties.

5. Where is the help in the Republican Counties? Your not just the governor of 1 specific area. Your the governor of a STATE. if you want to be in charge of a specific area, GO BACK TO BEING THE F'in Mayor Of Philadelphia dumbass.

6. The Gambling Law is a JOKE. The Gambling licenses are not going to those who could help an area benefit most. Example IOC and the Penguins Plan to help with Slots license in Pittsburgh will help an ENTIRE PART OF PITTSBURGH redevelop into what it was before Mellon Arena Made its way into town 46 years ago. And a Sports team helps bring in Dollar After Dollar worth of income for the state of PA.

7. THE LEGISTLATIVE PAY RAISE!- The Biggest Reason of them all. Why would you raise the Pay raise when he should have been aware of something. 1 It was AGAINST THE STATE CONSTITUTION TO DO SO WHEN A FISCAL YEAR IS IN EFFECT! 2 he would lose some of the most valuable members to the State Senate which have helped greatly such as Robert Jubelier. And he was classy enough to repeal the vote as well as appologize for taking the pay raise. But he still lost. They almost cleaned house in the May elections.

HometownGal
08-12-2006, 01:45 PM
I think Lynn may have an unclimbable hill in front of him.....

I'm sure he will hold his own in Pittsburgh...on name alone if nothing else....

But Fast Eddie OWNS Philly....

I'm certainly not a Rendell fan by any means...I'm just saying....this is gonna be a hard one for him to win

Lynn will also hold his own in Central PA. Erie is heavily Democrat, as is Philly, but if Lynn can take 30% of the Philly vote, I think he has a pretty good shot to unseat Rendell.

Philly is heavily populated by African-Americans and it has been my experience through working with various campaigns over the years that when all is said and done, the brothas will still vote for a brotha just because he IS a brotha.

LambertIsGod58
08-13-2006, 10:24 AM
If Swann wanted something like this...he should have a better public demeanor. He thinks all the counts is what he shows on TV...I wouldn't piss on Swann if he was on fire!!

X-Terminator
08-13-2006, 04:51 PM
If Swann wanted something like this...he should have a better public demeanor. He thinks all the counts is what he shows on TV...I wouldn't piss on Swann if he was on fire!!

You seem to be the only one who has a problem with him outside of his political views, or brought up this fundraiser that he didn't attend. Nobody else in PA has said a word about it. Not only that, how do you know Swann didn't do anything behind the scenes to help Mike Webster? As for his public demeanor, all you have to do is go over to his site and see all of the places he's been and people he's met. Do you honestly think he would have so much support if he was as you say he is, or was angry at him over not attending that fundraiser? People support Swann because they believe in his political agenda and plans for the state. Besides, if he was this horrible person as you say, you'd think that would be something that Rendell would use against him in the campaign to try and sway voters since the race is tightening up, but he hasn't, not even in Philadelphia. Even he doesn't have the balls to attack Swann's character (or lack thereof, according to you).

You have your view, and I have mine, and that's fine - my intention isn't to get into some long, drawn out verbal war that ultimately won't change anyone's mind. I'm just speaking up and stating how I feel.

HometownGal
08-13-2006, 05:10 PM
But the polls look bad for Swann.

According to the Rasmussan poll performed on August 3rd, Lynn is only 10 points behind Rendell (50-40) with 10% undecided.

http://www.rasmussenreports.com/2006/State%20Polls/July%202006/pennsylvaniaGovernor.htm

With 2-1/2 months left and Lynn out each and every day working the campaign trail, I believe he can bridge that gap and overtake Do Nothing Rendell. Fat Eddie has a bigger war chest than Lynn and has his mug spread all over television, but Lynn is actually getting out to meet the people of Pennsylvania. I'm not voting for him because he is a former Steeler great - I am voting for him because I like his platform, his ideas, and his very realistic goals for Pennsylvania's future. Some voters feel that he is "green" and not a politician. I think that works in his favor because people are growing weary of politics getting in the way of sound judgment.

LambertIsGod58
08-13-2006, 07:59 PM
You seem to be the only one who has a problem with him outside of his political views, or brought up this fundraiser that he didn't attend. Nobody else in PA has said a word about it. Not only that, how do you know Swann didn't do anything behind the scenes to help Mike Webster? As for his public demeanor, all you have to do is go over to his site and see all of the places he's been and people he's met. Do you honestly think he would have so much support if he was as you say he is, or was angry at him over not attending that fundraiser? People support Swann because they believe in his political agenda and plans for the state. Besides, if he was this horrible person as you say, you'd think that would be something that Rendell would use against him in the campaign to try and sway voters since the race is tightening up, but he hasn't, not even in Philadelphia. Even he doesn't have the balls to attack Swann's character (or lack thereof, according to you).

You have your view, and I have mine, and that's fine - my intention isn't to get into some long, drawn out verbal war that ultimately won't change anyone's mind. I'm just speaking up and stating how I feel.

You ever met Swann?

LambertIsGod58
08-13-2006, 08:01 PM
On top of that...his political views don't mean shit...Are you ignorant enough to believe they do? They tell you what they want to get in office!!

Steel Warrior
08-13-2006, 08:06 PM
I met Lynn Swann once at a football card show. I'm a bigtime collector of Steelers FB cards and have some of the rarest cards in terms of quality from the 70's. For example, I have 2 of the 3 71 Mean Joe cards graded PSA 9, had the third one, also but sold it on ebay for $3,500 recently.

Anyhow, several years ago I'm at a card show at the NJ Convention Center, big show, all the big names. I usually get the 70's guys to sign their rookie card, a card in about a PSA 7 or 8 condition as the auto actually devalues the card of the stars.

I bought a ticket for a Swann auto months in advance and while I'm waiting in line a guy asks me what am I gonna have signed. I show him a really nice 75 Swann RC, about a PSA 8, and he says "he won't sign it". Swann and Topps had a fallout in the late 70's and Swann only had 3 FB card years, 75, 76, & 77. For example, Lambert had cards from 76 to 85.

This guy and other guys around me now say he won't sign it, never has. I don't know what to do as I don't have anything else for him to sign. It's my turn, give the card to his handler and the handler gives me a wierd look. He gives the card to Lynn, Lynn looks at the card, looks at me, and I said "thanks for the SB's", he says "I wish I could of got you a few more", and signs the card. We shake hands, take a pic , and that was that.

I'm not a big guy, and maybe those other guys were full of crap, but he treated me with respect, and that's all I know.

Stlrs4Life
08-13-2006, 09:22 PM
I hope Swann loses....and I don't care about any of his political views...One year they had a benefit for Mike Webster when he was still alive. Remember, he was homeless for a while....many of his former teammates got together for a public signing to raise money for Webby. Swann declined b/c he said he wouldn't do it for free. Now, if he won't do that for a teammate that he played with for 10 yrs....what's he gonna do for the citizens of Pennsylvannia? F*ck Lynn Swann...If I ever get the chance, I'd love to spat in his face!

That's pathetic. And agree, what would he do for us? And what does Lynn Swann know about Pennsylvania? I'm niot a big Eddie fan either.

X-Terminator
08-13-2006, 10:10 PM
On top of that...his political views don't mean shit...Are you ignorant enough to believe they do? They tell you what they want to get in office!!

Your point? I never even hinted that I was even thinking of voting for him - like I said, I was only stating my opinion on the matter.

HometownGal
08-13-2006, 10:11 PM
Remember, he was homeless for a while....many of his former teammates got together for a public signing to raise money for Webby. Swann declined b/c he said he wouldn't do it for free.

Would it be too much to ask you to provide a link to that story, Lambert? Seriously, I've never heard that story and I've lived here most of my life. You live in New York, am I correct? Knowing how sneaky Rendell is, surely he would use this against Swann if the story was valid, don't you agree?

In any event, whether I agree with you or not, I respect your opinion.

EDIT: If you live in NY, you couldn't vote for either candidate regardless. (sorry)

Hawk Believer
08-13-2006, 11:01 PM
So as an outsider looking in on this discussion, I am curious to know if Lynn Swann was universally (or close to universally) loved by Pittsburgh fans prior to his entrance into politics. I would like to know if people who were fans of him when he was "just" a player now dislike because they disagree with his politics.

Of course he is polarizing now as a politcal candidate. But I kinda assumed that a Black Republican candidate that was a Steeler hero would almost be a shoe in for Gov. of PA since he would probably take some of the base from Philly. But I obviously don't know jack about PA politics.

Lyn
08-13-2006, 11:48 PM
So as an outsider looking in on this discussion, I am curious to know if Lynn Swann was universally (or close to universally) loved by Pittsburgh fans prior to his entrance into politics. I would like to know if people who were fans of him when he was "just" a player now dislike because they disagree with his politics.

Of course he is polarizing now as a politcal candidate. But I kinda assumed that a Black Republican candidate that was a Steeler hero would almost be a shoe in for Gov. of PA since he would probably take some of the base from Philly. But I obviously don't know jack about PA politics.

Actually, you do not have to live in Pittsburgh to follow Swanny's campaign. Every Steeler fan is watching while few would vote for him. Yes he played football but just how capable would he be as governor of PA?

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/opinion/columnists/mcnickle/s_464788.html

X-Terminator
08-14-2006, 07:57 AM
Every Steeler fan is watching while few would vote for him.

Not according to the Rasmussen poll that HG posted above, showing Swann just 10 points down as of 8/3:

http://www.rasmussenreports.com/2006/State%20Polls/July%202006/pennsylvaniaGovernor.htm

So it seems that plenty of Steelers fans would vote for him.

HometownGal
08-14-2006, 08:38 AM
Looks like he made up some ground. That's good news.

There are very few incumbents in the country who deserve to be re-elected.

A lot of voters will vote along party lines, but if you look at Rendell's 3-1/2 plus years as Governor - other than eat, get parking tickets and keep his shady pals in AC and his Philly homers happy, what really has he done?

SteelCityMan786
08-14-2006, 03:38 PM
He has done nothing. Taxes are just as bad. Class sizes are just as bad. Altoona is building a brand new jr. high. They're merging Roosevelt and Keith which is a DUMB idea since both schools have grudges from their sports rivalry. The schools have at least 1000+. It will be interesting how they can handle 2000+ in one building.

LambertIsGod58
08-14-2006, 07:27 PM
Would it be too much to ask you to provide a link to that story, Lambert? Seriously, I've never heard that story and I've lived here most of my life. You live in New York, am I correct? Knowing how sneaky Rendell is, surely he would use this against Swann if the story was valid, don't you agree?

EDIT: If you live in NY, you couldn't vote for either candidate regardless. (sorry)

It's in a book of mine by Jim O'brien...The Steelers Historian....I'll get it out and scan the page/s with the story. It's not based on just that. I've met Swann twice...And he treated everyone like crap that I stood there for. NO PICS...his words "you are paying for my signature, nothing more". That's a way to endear yourself to fans. And it's not that he said no. It's the way he did. Homer fans can defend him/have their opinion....that's cool and I understand it. But I call it how it is...Steeler or not.

By the way...are you implying that because you live in Pennsylvania..that you are a more knowledgable fan? What does where I live have to do with anything?

HometownGal
08-14-2006, 09:17 PM
It's in a book of mine by Jim O'brien...The Steelers Historian....I'll get it out and scan the page/s with the story. It's not based on just that. I've met Swann twice...And he treated everyone like crap that I stood there for. NO PICS...his words "you are paying for my signature, nothing more". That's a way to endear yourself to fans. And it's not that he said no. It's the way he did. Homer fans can defend him/have their opinion....that's cool and I understand it. But I call it how it is...Steeler or not.

By the way...are you implying that because you live in Pennsylvania..that you are a more knowledgable fan? What does where I live have to do with anything?

No need to scan those pages and post them, Lambert. If you say that's what the author wrote, that's what the author wrote. As I said, though, I would think if that were indeed true, Rendell would have a field day with it and then some.

Please pull your boxers out of your behind - that is NOT what I was implying at all. I was simply a little surprised that you would take an interest in this topic which is all about Lynn Swann's campaign when you, as a NY resident, have no real stake in it, that's all. No disrespect intended. I have no problem at all with you calling it as you see it. Different strokes for different folks, as they say.

SteelerzGirl
08-15-2006, 05:15 AM
I think it's great that people in other states are taking an interest in the race for Governor in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, as they have every right to do so. I keep my eye on political races in other states, as well, not just in Pennsylvania.

BlackNGold203
08-15-2006, 07:02 AM
I think it's great that people in other states are taking an interest in the race for Governor in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, as they have every right to do so. I keep my eye on political races in other states, as well, not just in Pennsylvania.

it is certainly every persons right to take an interest in whatever they want...but please...lets be real here...

If Lynn Swann never played for the Steelers...do you REALLY think anyone outside of Pennsylvania would care???

LOL...for that matter...most people outside of Pennsylvania STILL dont care....

The voters will decide....eventually....

VERY well stated HometownGal......"Different strokes for different folks"

keep the opinions coming...It's always healthy and a potential learning experience to hear all sides and opinions...

SteelerzGirl
08-15-2006, 07:05 AM
it is certainly every persons right to take an interest in whatever they want...but please...lets be real here...

If Lynn Swann never played for the Steelers...do you REALLY think anyone outside of Pennsylvania would care???

LOL...for that matter...most people outside of Pennsylvania STILL dont care....

The voters will decide....eventually....

VERY well stated HometownGal......"Different strokes for different folks"

keep the opinions coming...It's always healthy and a potential learning experience to hear all sides and opinions...

I'm being quite real here. Maybe some others should, as well. I personally do keep an eye on other politics outside of my own state. Don't you? You weren't previously keeping an eye on the Governors race out in Cali between the two Arnolds a few years ago, or the race for the Senate up in New York w/Hillary, or any other political race anywhere else for that matter? I also don't believe that a poster should be discredited because he/she may be pro-Swann and/or pro-Rendell and/or have different views than someone else, and that is exactly what is happening in this thread. Whether or not you choose to keep it real and only about your little clique is up to you, however, I choose to do just that. Thank you.

BlackNGold203
08-15-2006, 07:16 AM
I'm being quite real here. Maybe some others should, as well. I personally do keep an eye on other politics outside of my own state. Don't you? You weren't previously keeping an eye on the Governors race out in Cali between the two Arnolds a few years ago, or the race for the Senate up in New York w/Hillary, or any other political race anywhere else for that matter? I also don't believe that a poster should be discredited because he/she may be pro-Swann and/or pro-Rendell and/or have different views than someone else, and that is exactly what is happening in this thread. Whether or not you choose to keep it real and only about your little clique is up to you, however, I choose to do just that. Thank you.

Well...a couple things here....

First of all...unless its affecting my taxes...or my children's schools....or my community...I really dont care...California??...New York???....whatever...doesnt affect me in the least...so no..I dont follow it...if other people do...then more power to them....as stated above...different strokes...

I saw no one discredited in this thread...understand...when discussing politics....things will get polarized very quickly...anything that may have been taken out of context in this thread..in my humble...have been clarified nicely...

if you notice in my last post...I encouraged MORE opinions...thats how people learn...by observing and absorbing information...then coming to their own conclusions...

God Bless America.....:cool: :cool:

SteelerzGirl
08-15-2006, 07:17 AM
I know what the deal is in this thread, believe me. Everyone has the right to their views and opinions. :smile:

HometownGal
08-15-2006, 07:21 AM

See sentence in bold above. Enough said.

X-Terminator
08-15-2006, 07:27 AM
Yeah, I was having a really hard time trying to figure out where anyone's opinion was being discredited in this thread. Asking for clarification of someone's opinion is disrespect? That's news to me.

SteelerzGirl
08-15-2006, 08:01 AM
Please pull your boxers out of your behind - that is NOT what I was implying at all. I was simply a little surprised that you would take an interest in this topic which is all about Lynn Swann's campaign when you, as a NY resident, have no real stake in it, that's all.

See sentences in bold above. Enough said.

Yeah, I was having a really hard time trying to figure out where anyone's opinion was being discredited in this thread. Asking for clarification of someone's opinion is disrespect? That's news to me.

And so it continues... :sofunny:

Lyn
08-15-2006, 08:33 AM
There are a lot of reasons Rendell SHOULD lose. But the polls look bad for Swann.

The star power might be working against him...too many people want to talk about the Steelers instead of his platform, plus Jesse and Ahnuld both sucked.

There is a huge difference between Lynn Swann the football player and Lynn Swann the politician. Swann was my favorite favorite player. He would not get my vote because I don't like his conservative forum.

Football and politics. Two areas that don't mix.

LambertIsGod58
08-15-2006, 10:31 AM
I have three fairly big books written by Jim O'brien...I will be looking for the entry pertaining to what I said. It's there...I just have to find it. All I'm saying is that everything I've read, which doesn't mean it's true, and everything I've seen of Lynn Swann seem to corroborate each other.

LambertIsGod58
08-15-2006, 10:33 AM
And considering that you are part of his campaign, you seem to have something to stake here. I don't...The only reason I still had my two items was b/c I needed them to complete team signed pieces. If wasn't for that...I would have tried to get my money refunded.

LambertIsGod58
08-15-2006, 10:35 AM
One last thing...all his public image honors don't impress me...And of course he may be different now....now that he's running for public office. He will do whatever it takes to get in....that's what politicians do.

LambertIsGod58
08-15-2006, 10:40 AM
on a side note...does it interest you that Swann is dead last in the current thread of favorite All-Time Steelers? Swann is well-known around the collectors circuit for being less than cordial. When people spend their hard earned money and walk away getting what they get from Swann...it doesn't make them happy. It's not just Swann either...Bradshaw, Blount and Stallworth aren't much better.

Hawk Believer
08-15-2006, 11:33 AM
I think there are two factors that make Swann's canidacy news outside of PA.

The first is that people are just about ready to declare the celebrity/sports canidate trend as dead following the experiences of Jesse Ventura, Steve Largent, and apparent decline of Schwarzeneger (but who knows if he is done- CA is a wierd place). A decisive victory or defeat by Swann would say a lot about this trend.

The other and perhaps more important factor is that the Republican party is desperate to have more African American's who hold prominant positions. With JC Watts out of congress, I think Condi Rice is the only standard bearer,and she wasn't elected. A Swann governership would be a gigantic victory for the GOP and he would be thrust onto a national stage as a face of the republican party. And it would signal a weakness in the Dems strnglehold on the black vote.

Anyway, thats why I am interested even though I am way over in "Southern Alaska"

HometownGal
08-15-2006, 11:58 AM
on a side note...does it interest you that Swann is dead last in the current thread of favorite All-Time Steelers? Swann is well-known around the collectors circuit for being less than cordial. When people spend their hard earned money and walk away getting what they get from Swann...it doesn't make them happy. It's not just Swann either...Bradshaw, Blount and Stallworth aren't much better.

I do understand your anger towards Lynn and how he reacted to you - if put in the same position, I would have been PO'd too. I have met him several times over the last 8 months and I found him to be a gentleman, extremely intelligent and articulate, as well as very cordial. Having worked within the political circle (circus is a more proper description - LOL) for a number of years, I know the routine and how politicians maneuver around to get that all important vote - some would sell their first-born (an exaggeration, of course, but you know what I mean).

This thread is more of a political thread and that was my sole intention in posting it. I know there are several members here who also support Lynn and it was kind of a heads up for them on what Lynn is out and about doing. I am looking at him right now as Lynn the candidate and not Lynn the former Steeler great who at one time, seemed to have an inflated ego and a chip on his shoulder, which a vast number of pro athletes develop, as undesirable as that is.

I am interested in what Lynn can do to move the state of PA forward and I like his platform thus far. I wouldn't care if it was Joe Schmo, Punxsutawney Phil or even Kent Graham running - I'm looking at the candidate as just that - a candidate. I am not happy about the direction in which our state is headed and I think it's time for a change. Pennsylvania has been "in limbo" over the past 3-1/2 years on many very important issues and it's time to move ahead, not lag behind in the dark ages, imho.

On a final note - again - I do respect and appreciate your opinion and those of everyone else. If everyone agreed with each other 100% of the time, what a boring world this would be. :smile:

LambertIsGod58
08-15-2006, 05:32 PM
we agree to disagree...that's what makes this country great!! I've never denied Swann's intelligence. He was a great player as well. I use to have an old label from a Hi-C can from when he played...

HometownGal
08-16-2006, 09:49 AM
we agree to disagree...that's what makes this country great!! I've never denied Swann's intelligence. He was a great player as well. I use to have an old label from a Hi-C can from when he played...

Well said, Lambert. :smile:

Lyn
08-16-2006, 09:59 AM

I do not know where I heard this but I also heard the same thing. It may have been through Garrett (Mike Webster's son) he is a member of my club. I will have to ask him.

HometownGal
08-16-2006, 11:48 AM
I do not know where I heard this but I also heard the same thing. It may have been through Garrett (Mike Webster's son) he is a member of my club. I will have to ask him.

If that statement is true, I think that is atrocious, but it still doesn't change my opinion of Lynn Swann - the candidate. I don't think there is a one of us out there who can say with an honest mind and heart that we haven't said or done something in our lives that down the road, we've regretted.

Hawk Believer
08-16-2006, 02:15 PM
From the article Godfather linked to:
All year, Mr. Rendell has consistently held a large lead over Mr. Swann, sometimes over 20 points, in large part because many voters don't know much about the former Pittsburgh Steelers star and because he hasn't been able to raise enough campaign funds to start running TV ads.

I found this paragraph to be interesting. Seems like the journalist is blantanly crossing a line between reporting facts and editorializing when he says that the reason Swann is behind by so much is just because the people don't know him. They could very well be right for all I know, but it seems like a highly subjective presumption to make is a regular article that is not supposed to be an opinion piece.