PDA

View Full Version : could chris gardocki be gone?

tony hipchest
08-11-2006, 05:37 PM
Free-agent Mike Barr will be given a chance to unseat veteran punter Chris Gardocki. Cowher said Barr will get chances to hold for kicker Jeff Reed.

"I like Mike; he has a very strong leg, a very powerful leg," Cowher said. "No question, he's a guy we're going to take a strong look at."

Gardocki will cost $1.3 million against the salary cap, while Barr would make the NFL minimum of $275,000.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ike taylor can be retained. but it would mean several moves like this to do it. d. staley and c. wilson would probably have to go also. is it worth it to give up a veteran punter? he was just average in distance and hangtime. what the team likes is that he gets the ball off in 1.1 seconds (and of course has never had one blocked). yesterday barr said he gets it off in about 1.3.

remember last year when we dumped our veteran longsnapper making vet minimum for an u.f.a. who made $275,000?

19ward86
08-11-2006, 05:40 PM
that sucks, gardocki is one of the best punters in history.

BlackNGold203
08-11-2006, 05:40 PM
Yeah...Gardocki could be a cost saving move...it could happen

19ward86
08-11-2006, 05:48 PM
i definitaly can see it happen i just dont want it to, unless we got to keep porter.

j-dawg
08-11-2006, 06:48 PM
i think dumping gardocki would be a bad move. when davis signed frost over gardocki, a lot of browns fans were pissed! (and rightfully so) field position is a big part of the game, and chris is an efficient punter, he may not put up stellar numbers, but he won't have any accidental 11 yard punts.... who's to say barr will be as consistent?

plus...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8Tb4cKweEo

OX1947
08-11-2006, 07:56 PM
Chris Gardocki was HUGE in the playoffs. If you go back and watch his punts, He is a major part of why we had good situations in the game. I'm talking about alot more then not when it came to good position.

Ambridge
08-11-2006, 08:04 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v294/VaPa_Steeler/gardockifinger.bmp

I think this is what Chris thinks about this topic. :grin:

lilyoder6
08-11-2006, 08:22 PM
they will prob ask a vet to take a pay cut...

I-Want-Troy's-Hair
08-11-2006, 08:36 PM
Free-agent Mike Barr will be given a chance to unseat veteran punter Chris Gardocki. Cowher said Barr will get chances to hold for kicker Jeff Reed.

Would Mike Barr and chris Barr happen to be related? :scratchchin:

section514
08-11-2006, 10:14 PM
if everyone who goes to the games buys an extra beer, that will eventually pay for Gardocki's salary. Who's with me?

tony hipchest
08-11-2006, 10:20 PM
if everyone who goes to the games buys an extra beer, that will eventually pay for Gardocki's salary. Who's with me?

salary cap.

ike taylor
willie parker
max starks
troy polamalu
ben roethlisberger

paying a kicker 1.3 mil doesnt make much sense when these guys loom and theres someone out there for $275,000. its not like hes a kicker who has won 2 playoff games and 3 superbowls for us.

WWIIOwheelz
08-11-2006, 10:28 PM
Sad truth. I loved hearing them talk about never having a kick blocked EVERYTIME he kicked..... I kept waiting for the jinx! That's quite a cap hit for a punter, as much as I like him. It's a business.

I-Want-Troy's-Hair
08-11-2006, 10:39 PM
Sad truth. I loved hearing them talk about never having a kick blocked EVERYTIME he kicked..... I kept waiting for the jinx! That's quite a cap hit for a punter, as much as I like him. It's a business.

If he's gotta go I'm glad he's going with a SB ring.

WWIIOwheelz
08-11-2006, 10:43 PM
Amen!

:) I liked Josh Miller, too. I'm not too hard to please when it comes to punters, Cowher keeps them straight.

Stlrs4Life
08-11-2006, 10:57 PM
salary cap.

ike taylor
willie parker
max starks
troy polamalu
ben roethlisberger

paying a kicker 1.3 mil doesnt make much sense when these guys loom and theres someone out there for $275,000. its not like hes a kicker who has won 2 playoff games and 3 superbowls for us.

I don't know, outta that list not everyone of them are UFA the same year. I believe we can sign every one of them guys.

Midnightwriter07
08-12-2006, 12:17 AM
Well we are fine under the cap this year so that is already factored in so keeping him or Barr is going to be who is better

tony hipchest
08-12-2006, 12:49 AM
Well we are fine under the cap this year so that is already factored in so keeping him or Barr is going to be who is bettergreat point. its not like the steelers are the patriots and looking to get rid of a proven player just to pocket$500,000.

but when i comes to next year, giving up a gardocki/staley/wilson may be beneficial in regards to keeping an i. taylor. unless an extension with taylor is reached in the next month, these are the questions the steelers f.o. are trying to answer. otherwise the 4 mentionned players will answer that themselves with their play on the field this season.

for all i know, colclough could break out this year and make ike expendable, or he could completely suck and make taylor a necessity.

Haiku_Dirtt
08-12-2006, 03:02 AM
Without question Gardocki is the one player that has been taken for granted. To say he has made an impact on field position is a major understatement. The problem is that you don't know how much you miss a kicker until you see the pigskin bouncing in the endzone.

That being said Cowher knows football.

HometownGal
08-12-2006, 07:11 AM
its not like hes a kicker who has won 2 playoff games and 3 superbowls for us.

While I agree that his foot hasn't actually WON a game outright for the Steelers, he is an extraordinary punter and no one can place 'em inside the 10 like Gardocki, imho. He was directly responsible for pinning opponents back behind the 20 many times last season which resulted in them going nowhere but back to the bench after the Steelers D shut them down. Field position is extremely important and quite frankly, I feel it would be a terrible mistake to choose an unproven rookie over a seasoned veteran at the top of his game, especially in a repeat quest.

BlackNGold203
08-12-2006, 07:22 AM
While I agree that his foot hasn't actually WON a game outright for the Steelers, he is an extraordinary punter and no one can place 'em inside the 10 like Gardocki, imho. He was directly responsible for pinning opponents back behind the 20 many times last season which resulted in them going nowhere but back to the bench after the Steelers D shut them down. Field position is extremely important and quite frankly, I feel it would be a terrible mistake to choose an unproven rookie over a seasoned veteran at the top of his game, especially in a repeat quest.

Excellent points....his punting in the Denver game was amazing.....

the true question is...is it worth a million dollars in cap room????

With the Steelers in the position they are...with a true chance to repeat...perhaps it is this year...maybe not next year....

HometownGal
08-12-2006, 07:30 AM
the true question is...is it worth a million dollars in cap room????

My thoughts? Yes, most definitely. It isn't like The Finger is some run-of-the-mill punter who are a dime a dozen. He's a proven asset to this team and I hope they can work something out to keep him on the roster.

That being said, the Steelers will do what they feel is best overall for the organization and though I wouldn't be all too happy if they let Gardocki go, I understand the reasoning behind it.

melroseplace
08-12-2006, 11:11 AM
I have mixed feelings on this...Gardocki is most definitely underrated and contributed so much to our successful run last year, but a million dollars? I don't know. I'd also like to see Barr get a chance, just because I feel bad that he's at camp all the time and never makes the team. lol but keeping the best interest of the team in mind...I say wait and see what happens next year when it comes to signing the big boys then go from there

Black@Gold Forever32
08-12-2006, 11:58 AM
I think Chris Gardocki earns his keep and is a very good punter. But if you can save cap room anyway you can I think thats huge as well. I'm not saying we should just cut Gardocki now. But if this young kid proves to punt well during the pre-season. Then I say why not. You save some money and Gardocki isn't getting any younger. He won't be punting forever. So we will have to find a replacement sometime down the road anyway. The Cards game will be the first test for the young punter.

Midnightwriter07
08-12-2006, 01:24 PM
Well the thing is ... I know a Millions seems like alot .. but unless we are gonna go after a rookie who doesnt have much experience ... then we are only gonna save 500, 000 after we pay someone elses salary and that persons salary is gonna go up each year with an annual increase. Plus, you dont really know what you have with an unproven player which in my mind makes Gardocki worth it. He can always take a small pay cut if we needed to be under a cap that badly or do something.

like i said, If barr outperforms Gardocki this year it wont be because of a cap situation.. but because he outplayed him in camp and the Steelers feel barr would be a better alternative. But next year pending on where the salary cap is at and the what the Steelers will do as far as some of the peoplethey need to resign and what direction they are going to go will prolly help in determining Gardocki's fate.

tony hipchest
08-12-2006, 01:35 PM
Well the thing is ... I know a Millions seems like alot .. but unless we are gonna go after a rookie who doesnt have much experience ... then we are only gonna save 500, 000 after we pay someone elses salary and that persons salary is gonna go up each year with an annual increase. Plus, you dont really know what you have with an unproven player which in my mind makes Gardocki worth it. He can always take a small pay cut if we needed to be under a cap that badly or do something.

like i said, If barr outperforms Gardocki this year it wont be because of a cap situation.. but because he outplayed him in camp and the Steelers feel barr would be a better alternative. But next year pending on where the salary cap is at and the what the Steelers will do as far as some of the peoplethey need to resign and what direction they are going to go will prolly help in determining Gardocki's fate.going off your idea of trading morgan for tj duckett (who has kind of a high cap number, which is one of the drawbacks) im wondering if someone like gardocki would have to be cut to fit duckett under the cap, or give someone like ike taylor an extension?

nicesteel4life
08-12-2006, 02:01 PM
Barr has a very strong leg and he ability to be a GREAT PUNTER. I think you might just see it happen, truthfully. Youth is taking over the entire NFL. I sorta like the idea myself if it helps us to save a more valuable position on our team. Remember Barr has been in our camp for 3 years, there has got to be a reason we keep him around.