PDA

View Full Version : Roethlisberger expected back on Sunday but cornerback Taylor out (broken leg)

Fire Haley
12-04-2012, 11:35 AM
The Pittsburgh Steelers expect Ben Roethlisberger to return and start at quarterback against the San Diego Chargers on Sunday, but they will be without cornerback Ike Taylor for at least two games and possibly longer, the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette has learned.

Taylor has some form of hairline fracture in his lower right leg, an injury that occurred on the second play in Baltimore when he broke up a deep pass for Ravens receiver Torrey Smith.

He will be replaced by nickel back Cortez Allen, who had three passes defensed but also gave up two long passes, including a touchdown, against the Ravens.

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelernation/roethlisberger-expected-back-on-sunday-but-cornerback-tayalor-out-664868/#ixzz2E6N0vKSi

---------------------

good and bad news, I guess

SoCalFan
12-04-2012, 11:40 AM
Im thinking the running backs are going to get a lot of work! Also ecpect to see quick release short yardage passes! Im not worried about Allen filling in for Taylor!

jrompola
12-04-2012, 11:52 AM
It'd be nice if we got the run game working for 150+ yards and limiting Ben to 20 passes like his rookie season

teegre
12-04-2012, 11:56 AM
It'd be nice if we got the run game working for 150+ yards and limiting Ben to 20 passes like his rookie season

I'd prefer a repeat of his SOPHOMORE season. :wink02:

LVSteelersfan
12-04-2012, 12:18 PM
Having Troy back helps a lot. The QB has to worry about where he is at on the field which takes a couple more seconds to give Harrison time to get to the QB. the question is where is Woodley? Is he ready to come back? Haven't heard. That is a big loss although Worilds has been playing fairly well in his absence.

Fire Arians
12-04-2012, 12:23 PM
Having Troy back helps a lot. The QB has to worry about where he is at on the field which takes a couple more seconds to give Harrison time to get to the QB. the question is where is Woodley? Is he ready to come back? Haven't heard. That is a big loss although Worilds has been playing fairly well in his absence.

i wouldnt worry about rushing woodley back, worilds is kicking some ass. troy coming back is HUGE.

Ben back, we'll see how healthy he is but I think he will be A-OK. The coaching staff has to be smarter than last year to have him on the field barely functional.. right? especially after Batch just having a big performance, I would think that the staff doesn't feel the need to rush him back in, so if they say he's ready, I believe em.

Fire Haley
12-04-2012, 12:25 PM
Bolts inj report

- San Diego Chargers head coach Norv Turner said OG Tyronne Green (hamstring, OT Michael Harris (ankle) and OT Jeromey Clary (knee) are not expected to play Week 14.

eat em up

Steel_Bus_24
12-04-2012, 12:26 PM
Not having Ike is going to hurt....

A few matchups off the top of my head that are really going to sting is

A.J. Green and Wes Welker. What allowed us to beat NE last time was the added speed/ Size of allen being able to Cover NE's TEs an Ike shadowing Welker

Hopefully our O gets rolling a little better with Ben back and Troy/SIlverback start creating some "splash" plays to help offset

Millers the sh!t
12-04-2012, 12:33 PM
Bolts inj report

- San Diego Chargers head coach Norv Turner said OG Tyronne Green (hamstring, OT Michael Harris (ankle) and OT Jeromey Clary (knee) are not expected to play Week 14.

eat em up

De Verdad? Yo Espero ellos tienen hambre........

Terminator
12-04-2012, 12:35 PM
Considering Taylor is out, does that make Keenan Lewis #1 CB on Depth? If so, I assume he will now be covering all opposing team's #1?

steelfury02
12-04-2012, 12:36 PM

this^ Not only when will Woodley will be back - but - as per his coach - will his hammys even hold up for that long? I love Woodley, but the man needs to see the field - we need him to ramp it up to match what Harrison is starting to bring to the table.

Is it me, or is Worilds getting to the QB, but waving his arms around, just missing the wrap up? It was looking really awkward to me on a couple occasions. No expert - just seem like he was flailing a lot lol I dunno - call me crazy

Fire Haley
12-04-2012, 12:40 PM
De Verdad? Yo Espero ellos tienen hambre........

Casey is always hongrey

kent
12-04-2012, 01:21 PM
Considering Taylor is out, does that make Keenan Lewis #1 CB on Depth? If so, I assume he will now be covering all opposing team's #1?

I would assume so and I dont have a problem with that the way hes been playing. I havent watch Cortez enough to really make a determination on him. Ike has great cover skills but lacks the ball skills for big interceptions.

Fire Haley
12-04-2012, 01:30 PM
Im thinking the running backs are going to get a lot of work! !

Tomlin isn't buying it that Ben will play, no matter what the "papers" say

“Ben will be given an opportunity to prove whether or not he is healthy,” Tomlin said at his press conference today. “Obviously Charlie Batch is our guy game planning right now.”

austinfrench76
12-04-2012, 01:42 PM
That's funny, Tomlin always talks in coach speak! Worlids is playing great. Not a permanant upgrade but for some reason lately he has been. Ike will hurt but I have all the confidence in the world in Allen and Brown playing the nickel. Lewis is the #1 now, time to put up or shut up! I would only play Ben if he is 100% cleared from his current injury. I know that they all talk about "no one is ever 100%" in the NFL and that's proabably true but the injury that put him out is all I'm talking about. Troy needs a couple fo gamesto get his feet underneath of him and he should be back to form. That's good because we will need him in Dallas! Here's to getting healthy!!!!!!!!!

SoCalFan
12-04-2012, 02:04 PM
Tomlin isn't buying it that Ben will play, no matter what the "papers" say

“Ben will be given an opportunity to prove whether or not he is healthy,” Tomlin said at his press conference today. “Obviously Charlie Batch is our guy game planning right now.”

So he wants the bolts game plan to think!

wootawnee
12-04-2012, 02:16 PM
Im Stoked.....I feel Cortez Allen is a very physical cb.....He needs to be on the field to develop, and now is his time.....He could be a force if he studies hard.....He got the skills.....He has to study.... Im liking our Identity.....We are getting tough again and our overall age is dropping every week with new guys stepping up...... We are looking fresh and Hungry

Ya Gotta Be Hungry ......

BlaZeQuietly
12-05-2012, 01:03 AM
I really hope bens back, no disrespect to Batch but I think big ben learned as much as wee did, that he is the glue that holds this team together

figg
12-05-2012, 03:53 PM
"Tomlin: I saw him make the necessary throws today."

https://mobile.twitter.com/EdBouchette

jrompola
12-05-2012, 04:11 PM
I've been listening since 4...sure sounds like he's ready and is going to play

"Tomlin: I saw him make the necessary throws today."

https://mobile.twitter.com/EdBouchette

BlaZeQuietly
12-05-2012, 05:07 PM
By Gregg Rosenthal
Around The League editor
Published: Dec. 5, 2012 at 04:16 p.m. Updated: Dec. 5, 2012 at 04:43 p.m.
All signs point to Ben Roesthlisberger returning to the field this week for the Pittsburgh Steelers. That's the only takeaway possible after listening to coach Mike Tomlin's comments on Wednesday.

Charlie Batch
"I saw him make the necessary throws today," Tomlin said, via the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, calling the performance "positive."

Roethlisberger, suffering from a sprained right shoulder and dislocated rib, practiced fully Wednesday. Tomlin indicated that the next test was to see how Roethlisberger responds and feels on Thursday. Barring a setback, it sure sounds like Big Ben will be back in the lineup against the San Diego Chargers on Sunday.

Kinkhabwala: Steelers turning corner
The Steelers have forged through injuries. Now, they could be rounding into form. Aditi Kinkhabwala reports. More ...
The margin for error in the AFC wild-card race remains small, but we love the Steelers' chances of making the playoffs with a healthy Roethlisberger. Their defense is playing better than it has all season, in large part because James Harrison is playing closer to his old self.

When we look back on the season, Charlie Batch's performance against the Baltimore Ravens might be the difference in Pittsburgh making it to January.

Follow Gregg Rosenthal on Twitter @greggrosenthal.

copired and pased from mlb .com

heres a direct link

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000106363/article/ben-roethlisberger-practices-with-pittsburgh-steelers :tt03:

BlaZeQuietly
12-05-2012, 05:14 PM
oops i double posted, heres an article
All signs point to Ben Roesthlisberger returning to the field this week for the Pittsburgh Steelers. That's the only takeaway possible after listening to coach Mike Tomlin's comments on Wednesday.

Charlie Batch
"I saw him make the necessary throws today," Tomlin said, via the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, calling the performance "positive."

Roethlisberger, suffering from a sprained right shoulder and dislocated rib, practiced fully Wednesday. Tomlin indicated that the next test was to see how Roethlisberger responds and feels on Thursday. Barring a setback, it sure sounds like Big Ben will be back in the lineup against the San Diego Chargers on Sunday.

Kinkhabwala: Steelers turning corner
The Steelers have forged through injuries. Now, they could be rounding into form. Aditi Kinkhabwala reports. More ...
The margin for error in the AFC wild-card race remains small, but we love the Steelers' chances of making the playoffs with a healthy Roethlisberger. Their defense is playing better than it has all season, in large part because James Harrison is playing closer to his old self.

When we look back on the season, Charlie Batch's performance against the Baltimore Ravens might be the difference in Pittsburgh making it to January.

link http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000106363/article/ben-roethlisberger-practices-with-pittsburgh-steelers

LayingTheWoodley56
12-05-2012, 05:33 PM
It is strange to see Ike injured; one of his biggest strengths has always been that he plays every week, year in and year out, and that kind of stability is extremely valuable in such an injury-racked league.

That being said, we should be able to handle the next couple of games without #24, although his play has improved markedly since the beginning of the season. Keenan Lewis has been one of the most pleasant surprises of the season, and he will do just fine in the #1 role for a couple of weeks. It will be interesting to see how Cortez and Curtis Brown step up in Ike's absence.

PhantomJB93
12-05-2012, 05:44 PM
It speaks volumes how at ease I am with Keenan and Cortez starting. If you told me two years ago we were looking at the final quarter of the season with Keenan Lewis, Cortez Allen, and Curtis Brown as our top 3 CBs, fighting for a playoff spot, I would have completely expected us to go 0-4 and miss the playoffs. They've come a long way.

Hawaii 5-0
12-05-2012, 06:05 PM
Mike Tomlin: Roethlisberger made all the necessary throws

Posted by Josh Alper on December 5, 2012

http://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2012/12/350x-34.jpg?w=250

On Tuesday, Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said that quarterback Ben Roethlisberger would get a chance to prove he was healthy enough to do everything the Steelers expect from their quarterback during practices this week.

Based on what Tomlin had to say after practice on Wednesday, Roethlisberger was awfully close to meeting that goal. Roethlisberger took the majority of the snaps with the first team during the session and Tomlin liked what he saw when Roethlisberger put the ball in the air.

“I’ll see how his body responds in the morning and we’ll go from there,” Tomlin said, via the team’s website. “But it was a positive day today. He made all the necessary throws.”

Tomlin didn’t go much farther than calling it a positive day and “a good step,” although it’s hard to imagine that Roethlisberger won’t be the starter if he comes back to work on Thursday without suffering any downturn in his condition.

Once the Roethlisberger question is settled, the Steelers can turn their full attention to the rest of their injured players. Linebacker LaMarr Woodley, wide receiver Antonio Brown and safeties Ryan Clark and Troy Polamalu all missed practice on Wednesday, making their conditions something to watch as the week unfolds before the Steelers host the Chargers.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/12/05/mike-tomlin-roethlisberger-made-all-the-necessary-throws/

Fire Haley
12-05-2012, 07:04 PM
Roethlisberger to start Sunday vs. Chargers

Ben Roethlisberger will start at quarterback Sunday for the Steelers unless he has an unexpected setback in the next two days.

Roethlisberger took a majority of the snaps with the starters Wednesday in practice, and Tomlin said afterward, “We’ll see how his body responds (Thursday), and we’ll go from there, but it was a positive day today. He made all the necessary throws.”

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/3077271-85/roethlisberger-tomlin-steelers#axzz2ECMLVe92

Hawaii 5-0
12-05-2012, 07:40 PM
It's a green light for Ben Roethlisberger

Jim Corbett, USA TODAY
December 5. 2012

PITTSBURGH -- Ben Roethlisberger sat at his locker before going out to test his injured throwing shoulder and healing ribs during Wednesday's practice, confident he's healed enough to play Sunday against the San Diego Chargers.

"I'm hoping,'' Roethlisberger told USA TODAY Sports. "I can play with pain. I'll give it everything I've got. Pain is not an issue for me. It's about performance and how hard can I throw the ball? How far can I throw the ball?

"I feel a lot better. We'll see how it goes. "

Apparently, it went pretty well. Offensive coordinator Todd Haley said Roethlisberger took plenty of reps with first team.

"It's exciting, as long as there's no setbacks, to have him back,'' Haley told USA TODAY Sports. "He's obviously such a big, big part of this team.''

Coach Mike Tomlin called it "a positive day," and added, "He made all the necessary throws.''

Roethlisberger's dislocated rib has healed enough where it is no longer a threat to puncture his aorta as was the case initially after he sustained a hit in a Nov. 12 win against the Kansas City Chiefs.

Three weeks ago, Roethlisberger told Baltimore Ravens linebacker Ray Lewis before Pittsburgh's 13-10 loss to the Ravens that it was "killing'' him not to be able to play. Thing is, it could have killed him -- literally -- to have played the past three games.

"From what I understand, the rib was, it was stable in the back, but in the front, if I took the wrong shot, it could puncture the wrong way,'' Roethlisberger said.

"According to the training personnel staff, doctors, they don't feel the stability is an issue. I'm sure that first time I hit the ground it's going to be a little -- I may lay there for a second or so to make sure I can feel everything in my chest. According to them, everything is stable.

"I can play with pain.''

It seems fitting that Roethlisberger's return to practice coincided with the return to practice of Lewis from a torn triceps suffered in October. Roethlisberger and Lewis had a heart-to-heart conversation about missing the fierce Baltimore-Pittsburgh rivalry for the first time during their careers three weeks ago.

"Ray came up to me before the game and we had a long conversation on the field,'' Roethlisberger said, referencing that Nov. 18 loss. "I have a lot of respect for that guy. I gave him a hug and he goes, 'Who would have ever thought that, this game, neither one of us would play?' I said, 'I know. It's not the same.' Just acknowledging the admiration we have for each other. It's great to see him back out there (practicing today).''

There's a reason Roethlisberger wants to be back Sunday. The Steelers (7-5) own the same record they did in 2005, when they won their last four regular season games, then ran the table in the playoffs to win Super Bowl XL against Seattle in Detroit -- the first of two Super Bowls with Roethlisberger.

"It's about when you get hot and come together as a team,'' Roethlisberger said. "Our defense is starting to get hot and click in. We're starting to put it together. All it takes is one win and then you just roll with it.''

Charlie Batch, who turned 38 Wednesday, delivered a 23-20 win against Baltimore -- but all the talk around the league is about the rookie crop, led by Robert Griffin III and Andrew Luck.

"It makes me laugh a little bit because people are talking about these rookie quarterbacks and they should be talked about, they're great players,'' Roethlisberger said. "My thing has always been, 'Let's wait for two or three years to see if they're great yet. They've done some great things. And they have all the potential in the world to do it.

"I'm sure if you go ask Tom Brady, Peyton Manning or myself, any of those veteran guys, we'll say we're going to keep doing what we do. Let all the press go to those guys and we'll just try and win games."

He then warned the rookie quarterbacks: "No question about it, it is a completely different ballgame when you get to the playoffs."

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/steelers/2012/12/05/pittsburgh-steelers-ben-roethlisberger-ready-to-return-vs-san-diego-chargers-rib-aorta/1748875/