PDA

View Full Version : Is this a reach?

SteelManiac7
08-11-2006, 09:59 PM
Okobi may not be the same after this surgery (we can only hope the opposite), but does it seem logical to maybe see if Simmons can handle the C spot? An offensive line of Marvel/Faneca/Simmons/Kemoeatu/Starks seems reasonable for next season. From what I recall, Simmons is known as a guy the could possibly convert to C. I also recall that Hartings did the same thing. I think Simmons is a very capable lineman that has battled so hard to keep a spot. It seems like Kemoeatu is a guy that is held with very high regards amongst the coaching staff.

That seems like quite a talented offensive line, especially if Kemoeatu pans out.

19ward86
08-11-2006, 10:46 PM
maybe, i think Kemoeatu would convert before simmons would.

Stlrs4Life
08-11-2006, 10:52 PM
Yeahg that would work. But having Okobi back also gives us depth where we are going to need it. Plus, it is too hard to tell how much recovery time is needed for the surgery.

Midnightwriter07
08-12-2006, 12:18 AM
Alot could depend on how Phillip pans out as well

tony hipchest
08-12-2006, 12:26 AM
i would just as soon see them cut simmons, use his $$$ to retain, i. taylor, and have either okolbi or philips start at center.

TasmanianTroy271
08-12-2006, 12:49 AM
Simmons will probably be gone after the 2007 season, when both he and Faneca are up. I have a feeling that Faneca will want to stay here and won't ask for huge money, and with Chris Kemoeatu waiting in the wings, Simmons will be gone.

Haiku_Dirtt
08-12-2006, 03:09 AM
i would just as soon see them cut simmons, use his $$$ to retain, i. taylor, and have either okolbi or philips start at center.

That really hurts to say but I would agree. Perhaps Marvel was just giving kind words about Simmons when asked about him when he praised. After what he has been through...but this is not non-profit.

Atlanta Dan
08-12-2006, 07:22 AM

My impression has been that the Steelers do not pull $$$ from one segment of the team to sign a specific player on another unit (as opposed to such teams as the Colts, where the defense gets paid only after Peyton & Company finish eating).

If Taylor is to be re-signed I am afraid it will need to come out of the budget for the defense - even if Porter is let go I do not see a $10+ million signing bonus for a CB with one year as a starter, especially with Troy's contract coming up.

If the O-line budget is cut, it will be to start a savings account to re-sign Ben.