PDA

View Full Version : Division Not Out of Reach?

RichardCullinanForever
12-05-2012, 12:29 PM
Now, this doesn't make as big of a difference as last year (with a bye at stake), but if I'm calculating this correctly, the Steelers winning the division isn't completely out of the picture. In fact, I think our chances are better than people are giving us credit for (even though they are obviously below 50-50)

With 4 to play, the Ravens will play the Redskins, Giants, Broncos, and Bengals

Washington is playing for a division, and is never a team to be overlooked.

The Giants are the Giants, also playing for a playoff spot

The Broncos, I imagine, will be fighting with the Patriots for the two seed (even though the Pats have a far harder schedule remaining)

The Bengals will likely be playing for the 6th wild card spot, at home, last week of the season.

My point being, none of these are going to be easy games. And we know that the Ravens like to keep things close (take the Cowboys and Chargers game).

Okay, I'll try to keep this short.

The Steelers are getting healthy (except for Ike, but honestly, I'm not too too worried about that - our back up corners are capable, as Tomlin would say).

Our schedule is not too difficult, playing 3 of the 4 games at home. With Ben back, turnovers down, and motivation high, I think we can run the table. Sure, I could see us fucking up like we did in Oakland against the Cowboys or something, but our D has been playing with a chip on their shoulder since the midway point of this season. Honestly remind me of the defenses of past (our 12-4 defense last year wasn't intimidating at all, regardless of what stats show)

Okay, all that being said, this is where things get interesting - If we win out, and the Ravens lose two of the remaining 4 (which I think is entirely likely), we COULD have the tiebreaker over them. It first looks at head to head (tie), then at division record (Bengals need to beat the Ravens, and we need to beat the Browns and Bengals), and THEN at record in common games. I tallied it up, and since we've beaten every team the Ravens will play except the Broncos, I think this is where we can win the tiebreaker.

Anyone that made it through this shit show of a post deserves a beer, on me. :drink: Comments?

RichardCullinanForever
12-05-2012, 12:33 PM
All of that being said, if we were to take the division, we would still be a 4th seed, and the Ravens would probably be a 5th seed, so all that would change is we would play the Rats in our house instead of theirs. Either way, we aint fucking losing to that team in the postseason. They do not scare me - or anyone in our locker room - one bit... Now the teams that do scare me are New England and Denver. And even the Texans, simply because of Arian Foster (Schaub won't make this D flinch).

lipps83
12-05-2012, 12:35 PM
I would just rather see us win out and the Ravens lose 4 more and there not be any question.

Darkstorm05
12-05-2012, 12:40 PM
IMO, we shouldn't be back to overlooking opponents again. San Diego is my only worry. I'll consider what the Ravens are doing sometime after Christmas, maybe.

steelerchad
12-05-2012, 12:56 PM
Now, this doesn't make as big of a difference as last year (with a bye at stake), but if I'm calculating this correctly, the Steelers winning the division isn't completely out of the picture. In fact, I think our chances are better than people are giving us credit for (even though they are obviously below 50-50)

With 4 to play, the Ravens will play the Redskins, Giants, Broncos, and Bengals

Washington is playing for a division, and is never a team to be overlooked.

The Giants are the Giants, also playing for a playoff spot

The Broncos, I imagine, will be fighting with the Patriots for the two seed (even though the Pats have a far harder schedule remaining)

The Bengals will likely be playing for the 6th wild card spot, at home, last week of the season.

My point being, none of these are going to be easy games. And we know that the Ravens like to keep things close (take the Cowboys and Chargers game).

Okay, I'll try to keep this short.

The Steelers are getting healthy (except for Ike, but honestly, I'm not too too worried about that - our back up corners are capable, as Tomlin would say).

Our schedule is not too difficult, playing 3 of the 4 games at home. With Ben back, turnovers down, and motivation high, I think we can run the table. Sure, I could see us fucking up like we did in Oakland against the Cowboys or something, but our D has been playing with a chip on their shoulder since the midway point of this season. Honestly remind me of the defenses of past (our 12-4 defense last year wasn't intimidating at all, regardless of what stats show)

Okay, all that being said, this is where things get interesting - If we win out, and the Ravens lose two of the remaining 4 (which I think is entirely likely), we COULD have the tiebreaker over them. It first looks at head to head (tie), then at division record (Bengals need to beat the Ravens, and we need to beat the Browns and Bengals), and THEN at record in common games. I tallied it up, and since we've beaten every team the Ravens will play except the Broncos, I think this is where we can win the tiebreaker.

Anyone that made it through this shit show of a post deserves a beer, on me. :drink: Comments?

unfortunately your calculation is not correct. In your scenario, the tie-breaker would go head to head, which is split, then division record, which would be 4-2 each, then common opponents. This is where we would lose any tie-breaker with the Ravens. If they go 2-2 with losses to the Bengals and one of the other 3 teams (all of which we've played) that would give them a 9-3 common opponent record, which is what we could have if we win out. This would push it the the 4th tie breaker, conference record, which we would lose. They've lost to Philly and us running the table would give us an undefeated record against the NFC, and one additional loss in the AFC.

They need to go 1-3 and we need to win out. Only way.

The Oakland game is a common opponent loss for us and win for them.

StainlessStill
12-05-2012, 12:56 PM
F*ck the division. LETS GET THAT LOMBARDI!

maddog78
12-05-2012, 12:57 PM
Dallas, Cincy, and Cleveland are all playing their best ball of the year right now. SD isn't, but they're also in games until the end.

Don't see any layups, especially the way this team has played most of the year.

StainlessStill
12-05-2012, 01:00 PM
I expect us to handle Cleveland in round deuce and it could get out of hand for S.D coming into here. MIGHT be the first slaughter we've put on a team in awhile this weekend. S.D is as vulnerable as ever and we're due to kill.

Other than that, I expect Dallas and Cincy to be tight and close.

4xSBChamps
12-05-2012, 01:03 PM
... and we know that the Ravens like to keep things close...

while the Steelers (who have played up-or-down to the level of their competition for the last year) can't overlook any opponent, you have to wonder how the Purple-Browns will react, after having blown a 10-point lead at-home in their most recent Super Bowl

Steelers>NFL
12-05-2012, 01:05 PM
Ha! Steelers need to take care of their business first! Forget division. Win against SD first. We all know, Steelers play DOWN to level of their competition. So, I expect this game against SD be a nail biter. Win or lose.

austinfrench76
12-05-2012, 01:06 PM
If there's an avenue that keeps us out of Denver, I'm in. Not because of Manning, he sucks in the post season, but because Ryan Clark cannot playa nd that seems to hurt us worse than Troy. Thats said, we can still win the division but we just need in the tournament as they say!

RichardCullinanForever
12-05-2012, 01:08 PM
At this point in the season, I just don't see our D letting sub-elite QB's pass on us. Honestly, Romo? Are you serious. That guy throws like 4 picks a half. Yes, we are on the road, but Dallas isn't a playoff team. If we are who we think we are, which is a championship contender, we should have no problem with Dallas, SD, or Cleveland. The only game that slightly worries me is Cinci, but we have them at home and I doubt we let them beat us in our house with Ben playing.

Perhaps I'm overconfident.

But I do agree, all that matters is we make the damn playoffs with a healthy QB. The rest will fall into place come January. Go Stillers.

But on a side note, I have more confidence in this team at 7-5 than I did last year when we were sitting at 9-3. Anyone else agree? (that is, if Ben can come back close to full strength)

JeromeBetties63
12-05-2012, 02:54 PM
IMO, we shouldn't be back to overlooking opponents again. San Diego is my only worry. I'll consider what the Ravens are doing sometime after Christmas, maybe.

We are not the players, we are the fans. This Steeler team is mentally tough. I think they can win out...the Ravens could very well lose 1-4 of these games. Yes We Can....win the division! :tt: :tt03: :tt04: :tt02:

Quackjack
12-05-2012, 02:55 PM
At this point in the season, I just don't see our D letting sub-elite QB's pass on us. Honestly, Romo? Are you serious. That guy throws like 4 picks a half. Yes, we are on the road, but Dallas isn't a playoff team. If we are who we think we are, which is a championship contender, we should have no problem with Dallas, SD, or Cleveland. The only game that slightly worries me is Cinci, but we have them at home and I doubt we let them beat us in our house with Ben playing.

Perhaps I'm overconfident.

But I do agree, all that matters is we make the damn playoffs with a healthy QB. The rest will fall into place come January. Go Stillers.

But on a side note, I have more confidence in this team at 7-5 than I did last year when we were sitting at 9-3. Anyone else agree? (that is, if Ben can come back close to full strength)

This! I am truly thinking SB if we look sharp come January!

FrancoLambert
12-05-2012, 04:38 PM
Take em one at a time....no pushovers in today's NFL.
We all know too well how we play against teams "we should beat."
I'd sign for being a healthy wild card team right now.

VictoryFormation
12-05-2012, 05:51 PM
Yeah, I could see the Ravens losing to the Giants, and Broncos. It's a real possibility. The Steelers got to win out and hope things go their way.

VaDave
12-06-2012, 07:59 AM
Two things I'll comment on. One, if the Ravens play their next 4 game like they did against us, they will lose all four of them.

As for Romo and his four piuck a game, I realize that having Ike on the bench might increase our potential to have an intercepotion, it is hard for me to imagine us having 4 picks in this match-up.

One other point, BIg Daddy Jerry Jones is about to cut off the checks for this team, they are going to be playing about as hard as they ever have in teir lives, and we'd better be ready for it. Hopefully they implode before we get to them.

steelerchad
12-06-2012, 08:03 AM
Two things I'll comment on. One, if the Ravens play their next 4 game like they did against us, they will lose all four of them.

As for Romo and his four piuck a game, I realize that having Ike on the bench might increase our potential to have an intercepotion, it is hard for me to imagine us having 4 picks in this match-up.

One other point, BIg Daddy Jerry Jones is about to cut off the checks for this team, they are going to be playing about as hard as they ever have in teir lives, and we'd better be ready for it. Hopefully they implode before we get to them.

Hopefully they don't. They only have one game before we play them and that's against the Bengals. We could use a Dallas win over the Bengals and then we need to go there and take care of business. We need to prove we can win consistently on the road.

JeromeBetties63
12-06-2012, 08:09 AM
Dallas, Cincy, and Cleveland are all playing their best ball of the year right now. SD isn't, but they're also in games until the end.

Don't see any layups, especially the way this team has played most of the year.

There is rarely a lay-up in the NFL for any team, any time, any year....but there are certainly games which teams are heavily favored.

steelfury02
12-06-2012, 09:28 AM
I enjoy the speculating as much as the next person, but I really want a win, and I really want to come out of it as healthy as possible. For the love of god, a win, and NO MORE INJURIES.