PDA

View Full Version : King Goodell open to eliminating kickoffs

truesteelerfan
12-06-2012, 04:32 PM
This guy is certainly leaving a legacy on the sport he claims to love. When will he stop ruining the game we all love - it is a contact sport. Eliminating this essential part of the game is a start -what would be next - eliminating QB sacks would be my guess - such as the QB may not be touched unless he has passed the line of scrimmage.

http://nfl.si.com/2012/12/06/roger-goodell-opens-up-on-letting-the-chiefs-play-possible-rule-changes/?sct=hp_t2_a7&eref=sihp

:banging:

GMU Steeler
12-06-2012, 04:39 PM
It's like he's trying to be the worst commissioner the league has ever seen. Really get rid of kickoffs? I thought it was already lame when they move the kickoff spot to the 35. I love the kickoff because it gives you a chance to create your own destiny when it comes to field position. This is just so stupid. What's Goodell gonna propose next? More preseason games?

desertsteel
12-06-2012, 05:02 PM
RETARDED =

a radical rule change proposed by Tampa Bay coach Greg Schiano. Instead of a kickoff, the team that scored would then take the ball on its own 30-yard line in, essentially, a 4th-and-15 situation. In other words, they could attempt to keep their offense on the field and try to pick up 15 yards, at the risk of turning the ball over on downs; or they could punt.

Darkstorm05
12-06-2012, 05:18 PM
Would you rather lose kickoffs, or have him go right into his investigation of the horrors of the three point stance?

WVABE
12-06-2012, 05:35 PM
:kick:

he's a dufus, nothing else to say.

:jawdrop::poop:

jjpro11
12-06-2012, 05:39 PM
Fuck him.. Eliminate the most exciting play in football. Way to fucking go.

stb_steeler
12-06-2012, 05:41 PM
This guy is certainly leaving a legacy on the sport he claims to love. When will he stop ruining the game we all love - it is a contact sport. Eliminating this essential part of the game is a start -what would be next - eliminating QB sacks would be my guess - such as the QB may not be touched unless he has passed the line of scrimmage.

http://nfl.si.com/2012/12/06/roger-goodell-opens-up-on-letting-the-chiefs-play-possible-rule-changes/?sct=hp_t2_a7&eref=sihp

:banging:

Coming soon...
http://i1231.photobucket.com/albums/ee516/funteamjamaica/fagfutball.jpg

Fire Arians
12-06-2012, 05:53 PM
I'm open to eliminating goodell from his job

OX1947
12-06-2012, 05:59 PM
Goodell must be destroyed. Banished from football forever.

StainlessStill
12-06-2012, 06:40 PM
Goodbye NFL! Nice knowing you.

Neil-Still-Rules-14
12-06-2012, 06:41 PM
In a serious thought, I wonder if they have considered the XFL model of opening games?

White_Steel_Wolfe
12-06-2012, 06:44 PM
I'm open to eliminating goodell from his job

I agree- this is so fucking stupid. If you're going to eliminate all that is football then how about you make games free and stop allowing these athletes to make millions. They know what could happen on the football field geez. It's their own risk- this sport is slowly but surely getting ruined and turned into flag football.

The NFL will lose me if they keep this shit up.:noidea:

Rotorhead
12-06-2012, 06:46 PM
Actually, as much as I hate Goddell, it isnt his idea, it is owners idea and came from Tampa's coach. But it is a crappy idea none the less. If you read the actual proposal, it is even more stupid. After you score, you get the ball back at the 35 for a 4th and 15 to try and get a first and continue driving again. Makes no sense.

torpedoshell31
12-06-2012, 06:47 PM
I really hate the idea to eliminate the onside kick and to give the team trailing the ball on their own 30 to try one play to get 15 yards. Why punish the team who has worked to build a lead the whole game and give the team that is losing one more chance? Maybe Goodell will give the team that is behind a 5th down in the 4th quarter to make it "more fair".

Hawaii 5-0
12-06-2012, 07:50 PM
http://troglopundit.files.wordpress.com/2011/12/automotivator_goodell.jpg

OX1947
12-06-2012, 07:50 PM
Rooney's were part of ownerships that helped create the greatest sport in the world. And ironically, Rooney's helped plant a diseased seed(Roger Goodell) in office in 2006 and will be the seed in 20 years that destroyed football. If it even last 20 years.

Hawaii 5-0
12-06-2012, 07:53 PM
http://funnydemotivationalposters.com/uploads/saved_posters/demotivational-poster-auko8gifpw-ROGER-GOODELL.jpg

Riddle_Of_Steel
12-06-2012, 08:58 PM
Dumbest fucking thing I have ever read....

He is trying to make the NFL like one of those old Atari football games where there was no special teams. Goodell has already made it so that I cannot accurately simulate the number of penalties when I play Madden NFL (even with the penalty sliders racked all the way up to 99 for all penalties), now, no kickoffs?

I am going to need to download a mod because I refuse to play a video game that is more like the real thing than the real thing actually is!

torpedoshell31
12-07-2012, 07:23 AM
When we were kids playing 5 on 5 in the back yard, everyone went out for a pass so the QB would count out loud "one thousand one, one thousand two" up until one thousand five. If you reached 5 before passing the ball it was considered a sack. Maybe this is what Goodell would like to turn the NFL into. Why even have an offensive or defensive line? Every team would have a roster full of WR's and DB's.

ChristianKustomz
12-07-2012, 08:00 AM
I personally hope someone tells Goodell to go pound sand. What's next...no running, no contact with another player, no stripping the ball and no tackling. Better yet while they gracefully walk with the ball they are allow to lightly pimp slap the ball but any contact with the player is a flag for unsportsmanlike conduct and an automatic 15 yard penalty. Further more any yelling by the fans will be met with an immediate ejection from the stands due to the fact we don't want to intimidate the other players or give the QB's a headache. In fact they will line the field with pillows and put them all in nighties, replace the football with a cushion and play golden girls on the jumbotron.

Goodell should be....hmmm I probably shouldn't say that here but I think everyone is thinking the same thing. So much for football. I'm going back to hockey!

Rotorhead
12-07-2012, 10:58 AM
Hockey, whats that? They won't wven play this season, msybe we should start promoting rugby!

LVSteelersfan
12-07-2012, 11:41 AM
What hockey will you be watching? All you have this year is the NBA or minor league hockey. Guess it's time to catch up on your reading.

BlaZeQuietly
12-07-2012, 06:03 PM
Im just gonna start watching more college basketball if this shit keeps up, go 'Cuse!

teegre
12-07-2012, 07:16 PM
I really hate the idea to eliminate the onside kick and to give the team trailing the ball on their own 30 to try one play to get 15 yards. Why punish the team who has worked to build a lead the whole game and give the team that is losing one more chance? Maybe Goodell will give the team that is behind a 5th down in the 4th quarter to make it "more fair".

The part that gets me is the on-side kick.

Statistically, converting a 4th & 15 is something like less than 12%. No team would dare attempt it, because if one fails, then the other team would ALREADY be in FG range. Risk reward means that NO ONE would attempt the 4th & 15.

During the first 3 quarters of play (when teams are not expecting it), the on-side kick works about 50% of the time. This rule would essentially eliminate that altogether. 50% versus 12%... again, no one is taking those odds, especially when it puts the opposition in FG range.

Furthermore, at the end of games, the team that is behind would have NO shot at getting the ball back.

Think of it this way. You are down by 14 points. You score a TD, move within 7 points, and then you are forced to attempt a 4th & 15... which you will fail 88% of the time. Thus, the other team gets an easy field goal, and you are now once again down by 10 (two scores). At least with the on-side kick, if you fail to get the ball back (only a 15% conversion rate, in the fourth quarter), the other team still has to go 20 yards before they kick a FG.

That's the part that bothers me: no on-side kick.

Steel Warrior
12-07-2012, 09:25 PM
The part that gets me is the on-side kick.

Statistically, converting a 4th & 15 is something like less than 12%. No team would dare attempt it, because if one fails, then the other team would ALREADY be in FG range. Risk reward means that NO ONE would attempt the 4th & 15.

During the first 3 quarters of play (when teams are not expecting it), the on-side kick works about 50% of the time. This rule would essentially eliminate that altogether. 50% versus 12%... again, no one is taking those odds, especially when it puts the opposition in FG range.

Furthermore, at the end of games, the team that is behind would have NO shot at getting the ball back.

Think of it this way. You are down by 14 points. You score a TD, move within 7 points, and then you are forced to attempt a 4th & 15... which you will fail 88% of the time. Thus, the other team gets an easy field goal, and you are now once again down by 10 (two scores). At least with the on-side kick, if you fail to get the ball back (only a 15% conversion rate, in the fourth quarter), the other team still has to go 20 yards before they kick a FG.

That's the part that bothers me: no on-side kick.

Not sure where you got your percentages, but on Mike and Mike the other morning they stated that a study by someone, forgot his name, that onside kicks had a 21% success (that included "surprise" kicks though), and 4th and 15 also had a 21% success. Thus, the Czar's plans.

What gets me is nobody seems to be discussing his plans to also abolish blocks below the waist which would basically end the running game, turn the NFL into the Arena League.

SteelersCanada
12-07-2012, 09:49 PM
These changes are absolutely ridiculous. There's zero chance these rules ever come into effect.

harrison'samonster
12-07-2012, 09:55 PM
These changes are absolutely ridiculous. There's zero chance these rules ever come into effect.

I hope you're right. I have a bad feeling though that within 10 years football will be a completely different sport.

I remember hearing that in the college level, money that would be going to the football programs are going to start going towards other sports (safer sports). If the money isn't their, athletes will train for something else, and eventually the skilled players won't be in the NFL, but some other sport.

Now it looks like not only will the best athletes not be in the NFL, but the rules are changing as well. I guess only time will tell.

teegre
12-08-2012, 12:40 AM
Not sure where you got your percentages, but on Mike and Mike the other morning they stated that a study by someone, forgot his name, that onside kicks had a 21% success (that included "surprise" kicks though), and 4th and 15 also had a 21% success. Thus, the Czar's plans.

I listen mostly to Colin Cowherd, but I was also listening to a SD station and an LA station (all three stations were talking about it).

The first three quarters had far less attempted on-side kicks, but they listed attempts in those quarters as being around 50% successful. There are far more late-game/fourth quarter attempts, and the percentage drops to 12%... so, if one were to average the entire game, it would likely be about 21%.

They talked about the stat for 4th & 15 being skewed because teams rarely attempt 4th & that long... except for desperate circumstances , and in those desperate times, the opposition is usually playing prevent, and thus, it becomes far more easily converted (than a normal 4th & 15). They said that if one takes out late-game, last-ditch 4th & longs, that the average conversion for "normal" 4th & 15s was about 12%.

But, I was driving/commuting... and avoiding a few multi-car pile-ups while doing so. So, my numbers might be slightly off (but, those are the numbers that I indeed recall hearing).

Also, I remember the two numbers being identical, which I found interesting (12% and 12%). BUT, it could have been a driving/distracted/dyslexic moment... meaning that it could have been 21% and 21%... (although, I remember it as 12%).

4xSBChamps
12-08-2012, 06:12 AM
It's like he's trying to be the worst commissioner the league has ever seen.
as-long-as fans keep shoving money down the pants of the League & it's owners, Ms. Goodell will continue to bastardize this game ~ decisions have consequences

harrison'samonster
12-08-2012, 01:58 PM
just went out to get the mail, and Goodell's on the cover of Time. The words on the cover read, "The Enforcer: How far will NFL comissioner Roger Goodell go to protect the game he loves?"

harrison'samonster
12-08-2012, 02:12 PM
Without reading the article, there is one interesting alternative to kick-offs. After scoring, the scoring team gets a 4th and 15 down from their own 30. They can try to make the 1st down, or punt away.

austinfrench76
12-08-2012, 04:07 PM
This is BS. F Goodell. That's all. And I didn't read the article but where are all the kick off concussions??!!! It happens MUCH more during game action so this again sounds liek the NFL trying to add ammunition to their defense in law suits. He won't be happy until he's altered the game to the point where it isn't recognizable to most of us.

sloppyjoe
12-08-2012, 06:44 PM
so much for the conspiracy that goddell hates the steelers

FanSince72
12-08-2012, 08:45 PM
I would be happy with the following:

Have a kickoff at the beginning of each half, this way each team gets one kickoff.
As for the rest of the game, after a team scores, the other team gets the ball at their 20 yard line and play begins from there.

This way, the kickoff can remain a part of the game and the issue of kickoff-related injuries can be addressed by having only two kickoffs per game instead of after each score.

Oh, and the 4th and 15 idea is just plain asinine. :doh:

VictoryFormation
12-08-2012, 09:29 PM
Under Goodell's proposed rule change, a team, starting the half with 4th, and 15, at their own 30 could, possibly, maintain possession of the ball for that entire half, without letting the opposing offense on the field. The possibility of maintaining possession of the ball at the beginning of a half, or after a score would change the complexion of the game. Teams would be working overtime, coming up with special plays, special players, and strategies to get that 1st down. And, what if, at a crucial point in a game, after a team has just scored, they have 4th, and 15 on their own 30, and there's a defensive penalty that gives them a 1st down. How unfair, and frustrating would that be for the opposing team?
I can understand Goodell's campaign against extreme helmet-to-helmet hits, but this proposed rule change is ridicules