PDA

View Full Version : Steelers OL Coach Sean Kugler Leaving for Head Coaching Job at UTEP

Hawaii 5-0
12-08-2012, 12:15 AM
Steelers Offensive Line Coach Sean Kugler will be the Next Head Coach at UTEP

By Kyle Curry on December 7, 2012

The Steelers offensive line coach Sean Kugler has taken the head coaching job at UTEP, his alma-mater. This means Kugler will be leaving the Steelers at some point either this season or after the season to take over.

Kugler went to UTEP and this is a big opportunity for him to return as head coach. Kugler attended the University of Texas at El Paso (UTEP) from 1984 to 1988, earning letterman honors in football for all four years. The 1988 team played in the Independence Bowl. His positional coach at UTEP was, now Eagles head coach, Andy Reid.

Kugler was signed by the Steelers in 1989, but was released after suffering a concussion during training camp. He began coaching in 1990 and this will be his first head coaching job.

The Steelers signed Kugler away from the Buffalo Bills in 2010. They knew that Kugler would be able to help improve their offensive line play and it has been much improved during his time with the Steelers.

Pittsburgh will have a hard time replacing Kugler, but you have to feel happy for him.

http://steelblitz.com/steelers-offensive-line-coach-sean-kugler-will-be-the-next-head-coach-at-utep/2328/2012/12/07

pete74
12-08-2012, 05:05 AM
Good for him.

El-Gonzo Jackson
12-08-2012, 11:45 AM
good for him. Nobody really appreciates an O line coach until he leaves the team for a promotion like this.

Got a good group of young talent around now, but need to find another guy to continue to teach the young guys to play physical, but technical.

Atlanta Dan
12-08-2012, 12:14 PM
Hopefully he is not leaving immediately to get out on the recruiting trail

Anyone recall whether O'Brien stayed with the Patriots through the Super Bowl before taking over as Penn State HC last season?

Hawaii 5-0
12-08-2012, 01:41 PM
Hopefully he is not leaving immediately to get out on the recruiting trail

Anyone recall whether O'Brien stayed with the Patriots through the Super Bowl before taking over as Penn State HC last season?

yes, O'Brien stayed with the Patriots* all the way through the Super Bowl and my hunch is that Kugler will remain with us until our season is finished also.

tanda10506
12-08-2012, 01:59 PM
DeCastro getting up to speed quickly, Adams playing like crap and then getting pretty good at RT in just a 2 game span, Beachum went from looking like he may not make the team to a starting quality RT against a good pass rushing defense (Baltimore), all the patchwork and moving around yet the O line is still kicking ass, Foster playing way better then 2 years ago, these are all things that he has done for us. The O line has been a mess for years yet he still managed to get them playing good enough to win a SB in 2008 and go to one in 2010, and in both of those years we had severe O line injuries and no real depth. I hope we end up with somebody good because this year has really shown how much he has contributed. As Gonzo said, you don't appreciate an O line coach till he leaves. Good luck to him.

AgentGold007
12-08-2012, 02:23 PM
:tt03: He's done a good job for the Steelers, figures a head coaching gig would come along. Maybe Jeff Hartings, Dermontti Dawson, or Tunch Ilkin gets a call for the opening.

tony hipchest
12-08-2012, 02:43 PM
cool. i'll get to see him 1-2 times a year. My brother graduated there and currently teaches and is curator of the art museum which is adjacent to the Sun Bowl so we get 1st row parking :thumbsup:

i wonder if it has been kugler who has been helping us scout UTEP, Las Cruces, and Arizona players the last few years?

this article says jeff hartings is a possible replacement. maybe el gonzo should get his application in :applaudit:

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2012/12/8/3743452/steelers-offensive-line-coach-search-replacement-candidates-options-sean-kugler

Immediate questions abounded about who Kugler's replacement would be, especially should he leave before the end of the Steelers 2012 season. In an effort to restore some of that lost continuity, the Steelers will most likely look inward when selecting a new, and possibly immediate, replacement. The process of hiring outside of the organization is a time-consuming process best dealt with during the off-season.

Back in February of 2012, the Steelers hired Shaun Sarrett as their new offensive assistant/quality control coach. He had served in the same role for the Duke University Blue Devils since 2008. Prior to Duke, he also spent time at Marshall University; and also as a high school offensive line coach, in Streetsboro, Ohio. Sarrett played guard for Kent State, lettering 3 seasons. He could be an emergency interim decision based on his experience both as a coach and positionally, should Kugler leave sooner rather than later.

If the Steelers go outside the organization, they still have another "inside" choice. Former Steelers center Jeff Hartings is currently coaching offensive line for Avonworth High School, coincidentally with former Steelers defensive tackle Chris Hoke. While Hartings speaks fondly of his experience coaching younger players, and being involved in the school community, which his children are a part of; he does leave the door open on returning to the NFL to coach.

While Sarrett is the most likely choice, Hartings staying active in football and coaching make him a viable option to consider through the future.

yes, O'Brien stayed with the Patriots* all the way through the Super Bowl and my hunch is that Kugler will remain with us until our season is finished also.of course the patriots also brought in josh mcdaniels as a special assistant to begin taking over for him.

austinfrench76
12-08-2012, 02:56 PM
Helluva coach, good for him! Gonna miss him but I would love to see a young bad ass like Hartings step in! We DO finally have some talent so at least we have that going for us.

desertsteel
12-08-2012, 03:04 PM
yes, O'Brien stayed with the Patriots* all the way through the Super Bowl and my hunch is that Kugler will remain with us until our season is finished also.However, O' Brien was hired on Jan 7 and not Dec 7, with 4 games left. It may be too much time for him to stick around... especially since we are going to the super bowl :D

JewniorGong
12-08-2012, 04:13 PM
What's ol' Rusty Grimm up to these days? :mad:

El-Gonzo Jackson
12-08-2012, 06:12 PM
cool. i'll get to see him 1-2 times a year. My brother graduated there and currently teaches and is curator of the art museum which is adjacent to the Sun Bowl so we get 1st row parking :thumbsup:

i wonder if it has been kugler who has been helping us scout UTEP, Las Cruces, and Arizona players the last few years?

this article says jeff hartings is a possible replacement. maybe el gonzo should get his application in :applaudit:

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2012/12/8/3743452/steelers-offensive-line-coach-search-replacement-candidates-options-sean-kugler

of course the patriots also brought in josh mcdaniels as a special assistant to begin taking over for him.

Interesting.....I would like to see somebody other than Hartings come in and then have Hartings work as quality control for them. Not really sure how that would transition from a guy that played for the Steelers not too long ago, but for sure a guy who was a pro bowl center like Hartings would definately get the respect of his players.

El-Gonzo Jackson
12-08-2012, 06:21 PM
What's ol' Rusty Grimm up to these days? :mad:

He's coaching the Arizona O line on how to give up the most sacks in the NFL (48) this season.

I think they have a legit shot to give up 60 sacks this year. :doh:

BKAnthem
12-09-2012, 11:26 AM
I would love to see it go to Hartiings or Dawson...look at what Lake has done for the DB's

Hawaii 5-0
12-10-2012, 11:52 PM
Steelers’ o-line loses Kugler, Colon

By F. Dale Lolley
dec 11, 2012

http://ORweb.SX2.atl.publicus.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?Site=OR&Date=20121211&Category=SPORTS0403&ArtNo=121219921&Ref=AR&q=100&maxw=550&maxh=500

Steelers center Maurkice Pouncey has been one of the few healthy linemen for the Steelers.

PITTSBURGH – Steelers offensive line coach Sean Kugler was officially hired as the new head football coach at the University of Texas-El Paso Monday, a day after his unit played perhaps its worst game of the season in a 34-24 loss to the San Diego Chargers at Heinz Field.

News of Kugler’s hiring broke over the weekend and might have been a distraction for a group that had been playing well this season – until Sunday.

Though none of the offensive linemen would use the eventual loss of Kugler – who will finish out the season with the Steelers - as an excuse, the results from Sunday’s defeat, which dropped Pittsburgh to 7-6, are hard to deny.

Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, making a return from a three-game absence because of shoulder and rib injuries, was pressured, hit or sacked on 19 of 48 passing plays. Taking out the five Roethlisberger scrambles for 31 yards, the running game produced 38 yards on 12 carries. The Steelers scored just three points in the first 40 minutes before producing three touchdowns after the game’s outcome had been decided.

“Hat’s off to (the Chargers),” said Pro Bowl center Maurkice Pouncey. “They were bringing a lot of different looks at us, and we didn’t do a good job of blocking it.”

Things won’t get easier.

Already missing right tackles Marcus Gilbert, who was placed on injured reserve with an ankle injury; and Mike Adams, who sat out his second consecutive game with an ankle injury; the Steelers lost left guard Willie Colon to a major knee injury in the first half.

Colon, who will likely be placed on season-ending injured reserve, had missed the previous two games with a knee injury and was attempting to come back from that against the Chargers when he went down again.

It marks a continuing trend for Colon, who missed all but one game in the previous two seasons with an Achilles’ tendon injury and torn biceps.

“It’s terrible for him,” Pouncey said. “For him to be dealing with that for the last couple of years, and now we don’t know how this thing is going to turn out ... I feel terrible for him.”

With Colon out, the Steelers slid Pouncey to left guard and inserted Doug Legursky at center, just as they did two weeks ago in a 23-20 win at Baltimore.

Moving forward, however, the Steelers could try to insert first-round draft pick David DeCastro into the starting lineup.

DeCastro, who was activated from injured reserve Nov. 26 after suffering a preseason knee injury, did not play against the Ravens, but saw action on special teams against the Chargers as the Steelers ease him back into the lineup.

That plan could now be accelerated with Colon out, though DeCastro was used strictly at right guard in the preseason.

Ramon Foster was inserted into the starting lineup at right guard when DeCastro was injured in the third preseason game and has played well, but the Steelers could put Foster or DeCastro at left guard in an effort to put their best five linemen on the field.

Whatever alignment the Steelers decide upon, they know they must play better on the offensive front if they are going to make the playoffs.

The Steelers currently hold the sixth, and final, playoff spot in the AFC, but need two wins in their final three games – including one over Cincinnati in two weeks – to assure a spot in the postseason.

“We are in control, but we can’t go out there and play like we did (Sunday) in the last three games,” said Pouncey. “That can’t happen if we want to be where we want to be at the end of the season. I think we did a poor job, but we have to go back to work and turn this thing around.”

http://www.observer-reporter.com/article/20121211/SPORTS0403/121219921/-1/sports#.UMa7cM2FEmw

Hawaii 5-0
12-14-2012, 04:55 PM
• When Steelers offensive line coach Sean Kugler interviewed for the UTEP head coaching job with athletic director Bob Stull, one of his first comments was, “I‘m not leaving the team. If that keeps me from getting the job, it keeps me from getting the job,” Kugler said. It didn‘t, and now Kugler must do two jobs until the Steelers‘ season ends. “Right now the only thing I‘m thinking about is getting these guys ready to play in Dallas,” he said Wednesday.

Read more: http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/3118297-85/wallace-roethlisberger-steelers#ixzz2F49OD3Vi

Riddle_Of_Steel
12-14-2012, 07:32 PM
this article says jeff hartings is a possible replacement.

Words cannot even begin to describe how effing AWESOME that would be!
:tt04::tt04::tt04::tt04:

I don't know how good a coach/assistant he would be, but he would get some improvement out of the Oline on just the grounds of basic respect alone.

Hawaii 5-0
12-14-2012, 08:58 PM
When Kugler says jump, his players ask 'how high?'

December 9, 2012
By Ron Cook / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

First, there was former Pitt line coach Joe Moore, perhaps Pittsburgh's most revered football coach. "There are levels of goodness and levels of greatness," former Pitt tackle Jim Sweeney said after Moore's death in 2003. "Then, there's the level just below God. That's where I put coach Moore."

Then, there is Steelers defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau. His players adore him. "If he tells us to jump off a cliff, I believe we would do it," former Steelers defensive end Aaron Smith once said. "If he tells us to do anything, we do it because we know it's the right thing."

Now, there is Steelers offensive line coach Sean Kugler. He doesn't have Moore-status here just yet or LeBeau-status. But he was well on his way. "Every one of us would run through a wall for him," guard Willie Colon said last week.

Kugler shares a common trait with Moore and LeBeau. That is a big reason Texas-El Paso -- his alma mater -- reached out to him late last week to make him its head coach. Steelers coach Mike Tomlin sees it in Kugler, who will finish his season with the Steelers.

"The players know he's doing everything he can to make them better. When guys are trying to be the very best they can be and they want to stay in this business for as long as they can, they're going to respect any coach who works that hard trying to extend their career."

It takes most coaches years to build the relationship that Kugler has with his players, if they ever do. Kugler is in just his third season with the Steelers. He doesn't waste time.

Tomlin talked about Kugler's "demeanor and disposition being assets. ... His glass is always half-full." Colon talked about Kugler's willingness to "chop your head off when you aren't doing right, but he never does it in a way that embarrasses you. And he's always the first guy to pick you up." Kugler said it's just a matter of "being honest and upfront" with the players. "They want to be told what they have to do to be successful. If you are consistent with them, they're going to respond. I'm lucky. I never have a bad day with this group. They never complain, no matter what I ask them to do. And they always give me their best. I never have any doubts about that."

The latest example happened before the game Sunday against the Baltimore Ravens. Kugler asked All-Pro center Maurkice Pouncey to leave his comfort zone and move to left guard in place of the injured Colon. Backup Doug Legursky could have played left guard, but he is much better at center. "He never hesitated," Kugler said of Pouncey.

"He said, 'Whatever you need for the team, coach.' I knew that's what he was going to say. That's the type of player he is. That's the type of person."

Somehow, the Steelers were able to beat the Ravens with Pouncey at left guard, Legursky at center and rookie Kelvin Beachum making his first NFL start at right tackle. Beachum became the third man to start at the position this season after injuries to Marcus Gilbert and Mike Adams. It didn't matter. He and the other linemen played a strong game, maybe their best of the season.

Juggling players is nothing new to Kugler. Last season, the Steelers started a different offensive line in each of the first seven games because of injuries or ineffectiveness.

In 2010, they made it to Super Bowl XLV despite having only three linemen -- left guard Chris Kemoeatu, Pouncey and right tackle Flozell Adams -- play exclusively at one position. The projected line Kugler inherited before that season had left tackle Max Starks, left guard Kemoeatu, center Justin Hartwig, right guard Trai Essex and right tackle Colon. The line that started in the Super Bowl six months later was, from left to right, Jonathan Scott, Kemoeatu, Legursky, Foster and Adams.
That's some serious juggling.

"Nothing stops. The game goes on," Kugler said. "You've got to prepare and you've got to win. You've got to answer the challenge."

Starks said Kugler "makes the game simple" for the linemen. Tomlin talked of Kugler being a "very fluid communicator ... a great educator." Colon merely gushed. "[Kugler] prepares us like no coach I've ever been around. I've never gone into a game, asking, 'Is this the right scheme against this defense?' We believe in him and he believes in us."

Colon might be closer to Kugler than the other linemen. He called Kugler "my rock" when he missed all but the first game last season and all of the 2010 season with injuries. "He had the other guys to get ready and worry about, but he never turned his back on me. I would call him in the wee hours of the morning when I was feeling down. It was like he was my 24-hour hotline. He kept me going. He was my inspiration."

Kugler still is.

"He gives you everything he's got to make you better," Colon said. "He expects the same out of you. He demands so much."

Kugler gets it from his players, all of it. Since he's been with the Steelers, their line has been better collectively than the individual parts indicate it should be.

Moore got the same results from his linemen. "He could make you believe you were better than you were," former Pitt offensive tackle Mark May said.
Sound familiar?

Moore wasn't just respected by his linemen at each of his coaching stops. He was worshiped.

Kugler is getting there. Quickly.

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/ron-cook/when-kugler-says-jump-his-players-ask-how-high-665593/#ixzz2F57wwk7d