PDA

View Full Version : Steelers release QB Brian Hoyer, promote CB Josh Victorian

Hawaii 5-0
12-08-2012, 04:58 PM
Steelers make roster moves

The Steelers promoted cornerback Josh Victorian to the active roster, the team announced today. Victorian will wear No. 35.

Victorian spent the first 12 weeks of the 2012 season on the teamís practice squad. He signed with the Steelers on August 3, 2012. He originally signed with the Baltimore Ravens as an undrafted rookie free agent out of Louisiana Tech on July 28, 2011.

To make room for Victorian on the active roster, the Steelers released quarterback Brian Hoyer. Hoyer was signed by the Steelers on November 20, 2012. He served as the backup quarterback for the last two contests (at Cleveland and at Baltimore).

http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Steelers-make-roster-moves/9cc14f21-10c6-42c4-bc2e-ec4b6890e820

Steelerindc
12-08-2012, 05:08 PM
I was hoping that they would actually keep Hoyer, and save a draft pick in the future. If Leftwhich or Batch is on the roster next year or even fighting for a job in training camp I might slit my cats throat.

If you can get rid of Hines Ward when his production fell, then why not these two?

austinfrench76
12-08-2012, 05:39 PM
I don't think Lefty is a bad football player he just CANNOT stay healthy. You're right, cut him and draft another youngster next year. Not sure if Hoyer is any good but couldn't be worse than a guy who cannot stay healthy.

sloppyjoe
12-08-2012, 05:42 PM
what a crock of shit. so lefty is better than hoyer?....please

BLACK_AND_YELLOW
12-08-2012, 05:42 PM
Colin Klein would be a good pickup late in the draft

cubanstogie
12-08-2012, 06:09 PM

one was a starting QB in the league, the other an unknown backup who I would bet most on here have never seen play. So yes Lefty better.

SteelersCanada
12-08-2012, 06:38 PM
Colin Klein would be a good pickup late in the draft

He has a worse throwing motion than Tebow does and lacks the ability to make big plays with his legs that Timmy has. I don't understand the fascination with this guy - he's terrible. He might win the Heisman, but his 'talents' don't translate to NFL success. I'd rather have Hoyer.

Hawaii 5-0
12-08-2012, 07:20 PM
He has a worse throwing motion than Tebow does and lacks the ability to make big plays with his legs that Timmy has. I don't understand the fascination with this guy - he's terrible. He might win the Heisman, but his 'talents' don't translate to NFL success. I'd rather have Hoyer.

he ain't winning the Heisman either, he'll finish behind both Te'o and manziel

Klein just got attention because Kansas St was winning games and were ranked #1 at one point.

VictoryFormation
12-08-2012, 07:31 PM
According to sportrac.com (http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/pittsburgh-steelers), Byron Leftwich will make a base salary of $825,000 this year, and will become an unrestricted free agent at the end of this season. Charlie Batch signed a contract last spring that is paying him a $925,000 base salary, plus signing bonus. I can't understand why the Steelers keep two pricey back up quarterbacks, for what they do.
Brian Hoyer was signed for $615,000. I have never seen Hoyer play, so I can't say whether he is a good fit for the Steelers, or not. But, if I had a say in it, I would be leaning toward keeping only one solid, experienced back up quarterback (Not Byron Leftwich!), and filling the third spot with a talented, young QB. I am not suggesting that the Steelers should use a high draft choice on a young quarterback, right now. There are plenty of good young quarterbacks available out there.

JeromeBetties63
12-08-2012, 10:52 PM

Actually, Yes! By a long shot.

Darkstorm05
12-08-2012, 11:46 PM
It's funny, because everyone seemed to think he would start for Batch, and then be our #2 QB for years. No brand new QB is going to see a snap in Pittsburgh unless at least 3 other QB's go out hurt first. Sorry, but this is the reality on this team.

desertsteel
12-09-2012, 12:00 AM
I have a strong feeling that we will have 1 if not 2 new backups next year. If he's not signed to the practice squad, I'm sure it means that they didn't like what they saw in the kid. I trust them. They watched him practice, not me.

tony hipchest
12-09-2012, 02:37 AM
It's funny, because everyone seemed to think he would start for Batch, and then be our #2 QB for years. No brand new QB is going to see a snap in Pittsburgh unless at least 3 other QB's go out hurt first. Sorry, but this is the reality on this team.

actually it is a reality across the entire nfl.

who was the last qb to come in off the street in the 2nd half of a season and make a start? it just doesnt happen.

brian hoyer probably coulda played for both the jets and the cardinals last weekend and still only managed a 3-3 tie (if he didnt find a way to lose to himself 3-0).

hoyer was a desperation [we hope he never has to become] stop gap, who came with much less league and playing credibility than plexico burress did at wr.

he was on the street for a reason 3 weeks ago, just like he is on the street today (unless some privaleged steelerfans know something 32 professional teams, canadian league, areana leagues, etc. dont know).

desertsteel
12-09-2012, 06:28 AM
actually it is a reality across the entire nfl.

who was the last qb to come in off the street in the 2nd half of a season and make a start? it just doesnt happen.

brian hoyer probably coulda played for both the jets and the cardinals last weekend and still only managed a 3-3 tie (if he didnt find a way to lose to himself 3-0).

hoyer was a desperation [we hope he never has to become] stop gap, who came with much less league and playing credibility than plexico burress did at wr.

he was on the street for a reason 3 weeks ago, just like he is on the street today (unless some privaleged steelerfans know something 32 professional teams, canadian league, areana leagues, etc. dont know).

The reason is that too many NFL coaches fear for their jobs. There are probably other Kurt Warners out there but a couple of coaches would need to be fired in order to find them lol.

Rick5895
12-09-2012, 07:03 AM
The reason is that too many NFL coaches fear for their jobs. There are probably other Kurt Warners out there but a couple of coaches would need to be fired in order to find them lol.

Yes you are right there are likely another Warner or two out there. However he was discovered in a training camp, had time to play in the offense in camp and was the back up to Trent Green. Hoyer was an emergency pick up with our 1st and 2nd team QB's injured. No time for him to really learn the offense. If Hoyer is a "diamond in the rough" then you find this out in training camp not the 2nd half of the season.
Lets see if he comes back to us in camp next season, and see what he can or can't do. He was the logical cut to activate a DB to replace Ike.

Ricco Suavez
12-09-2012, 10:24 AM
A week removed from what may have been Charlie's greatest fill-in role as Steeler QB, yet I am of the opinion that he needs to ride off into the Sunset and take Lefty with him. We need younger and more durable backups for Ben and if one happens to show great promise possibly be the heir apparent in the years to come. Even at CB's age he is still better than Lefty, his slow long delivery leads to many INTs, near INTs, and passes defended/broken up.

PS do not know if Hoyer is/was the answer but the staff did not, so I will concede to their wisdom in this matter, just hope they do not wax nostalgic over the old guys.

Hawaii 5-0
03-22-2013, 02:40 PM
by Ed Bouchette

#Steelers wanted this young quarterback to serve as No. 2; they had him, let him get away, couldn't get him back.

The quarterback the Steelers really wanted was Brian Hoyer and they let him slip through their hands. If Arizona had not put a second-round tender on him as an RFA, the Steelers were going to try to sign him.

However, they had him on their team when they signed him Nov. 20 to the 53-man roster after the injuries to Ben Roethlisberger and Byron Leftwich. They released him on Dec. 8 so they could add josh Victorian from the practice squad. That was a mistake, and they know it. Bruce Arians also must have known how much they wanted him back by placing the second-round tender on him. Hoyer signed that tender this week.

http://sulia.com/channel/pittsburgh-steelers/f/4d2fe802-4363-464b-b001-6dfa7bdd8c1a/?source=twitter

Buddha Bus
03-22-2013, 02:45 PM
by Ed Bouchette

#Steelers wanted this young quarterback to serve as No. 2; they had him, let him get away, couldn't get him back.

The quarterback the Steelers really wanted was Brian Hoyer and they let him slip through their hands. If Arizona had not put a second-round tender on him as an RFA, the Steelers were going to try to sign him.

However, they had him on their team when they signed him Nov. 20 to the 53-man roster after the injuries to Ben Roethlisberger and Byron Leftwich. They released him on Dec. 8 so they could add josh Victorian from the practice squad. That was a mistake, and they know it. Bruce Arians also must have known how much they wanted him back by placing the second-round tender on him. Hoyer signed that tender this week.

http://sulia.com/channel/pittsburgh-steelers/f/4d2fe802-4363-464b-b001-6dfa7bdd8c1a/?source=twitter

I'd still rather have Bruce Gradkowski than Brian Hoyer. :noidea:

TRH
03-22-2013, 04:39 PM
Victorian??? He was the worst player on the team last year. Makes Gay look like Darrell Revis.

sloppyjoe
03-22-2013, 04:46 PM
good thing we kept lefty and batch and released hoyer

Fire Haley
03-22-2013, 05:38 PM
12-08-2012

nice time machine

now fast forward to

03-22-2013

Nobody will beat out John Parker Wilson for 4th spot, he's a bama boy, yaknow

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Parker_Wilson

Hawaii 5-0
03-22-2013, 06:40 PM
good thing we kept lefty and batch and released hoyer

that was my first thought, why couldn't we have just released Charlie Batch? no other team would have signed him...:noidea:

Blacksburg Zach
03-22-2013, 07:09 PM
that was my first thought, why couldn't we have just released Charlie Batch? no other team would have signed him...:noidea:

The Ravens would have just so they could ensure that a team quarterbacked by Batch couldn't beat them again. :chuckle:

Fire Arians
03-22-2013, 09:38 PM
The Ravens would have just so they could ensure that a team quarterbacked by Batch couldn't beat them again. :chuckle:

if we cut him and the 49ers picked him up, they'd be sb champs! :thumbsup:

austinfrench76
03-22-2013, 10:59 PM
Does it really matter. Hoyer or Gradkowski? I mean, can't you really throw a lot of back-up QB names? To me, most are interchangeable. It's not like either are Steve young or Aaron Rodgers. back-ups waiting to have starting opportunities. It's the same guy with a different name!

Hawaii 5-0
03-23-2013, 06:13 PM
Pittsburgh Steelers reportedly pursued Brian Hoyer

By Marc Sessler
Around the League Writer
Published: March 23, 2013

The Pittsburgh Steelers hopped off the rickety Charlie Batch-Byron Leftwich express this month when they landed backup quarterback Bruce Gradkowski, but he reportedly wasn't the team's first choice.

Ed Bouchette of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reported Friday that the Steelers "really wanted" Brian Hoyer, a move that became impossible after the Arizona Cardinals slapped a second-round, $2.023 million tender on the 27-year-old passer, which he signed this week.

The Steelers were planning to sign Hoyer as a free agent after he spent part of last season on Pittsburgh's roster, according to Bouchette. Hoyer was signed in November after Ben Roethlisberger and Leftwich were injured but then released in December when cornerback Josh Victorian was promoted off the practice squad.

Few coaches have a better read on Pittsburgh's thinking than former longtime Steelers aide Bruce Arians, who -- now embedded as the Cardinals' coach -- "must have known how much (the Steelers) wanted (Hoyer) back," according to Bouchette. Hence the second-round tender. Hoyer's stock was on the rise as free agency neared, and it's likely the Steelers would have faced competition.

Bouchette reported the Steelers now are considering taking a signal-caller in the mid-to-later rounds of the 2013 NFL Draft. Team brass dined with Tennessee Titans quarterback Tyler Bray before his pro day last week, and Steelers general manager Kevin Colbert is on record saying a developmental passer is on the agenda as quarterback Ben Roethlisberger delves deeper into his 30s.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000153126/article/pittsburgh-steelers-reportedly-pursued-brian-hoyer

Pentheon
03-23-2013, 06:30 PM
Victorian??? He was the worst player on the team last year. Makes Gay look like Darrell Revis.

ha I guess Im the only other one besides you who thought this. He was horrible, got beat everytime. I remember him getting picked on pretty bad the one game.

smh

Hawaii 5-0
05-13-2013, 02:48 PM
Cardinals release QB Brian Hoyer

By Eye on Football staff
May 13, 2013

The Cardinals released journeyman QB Brian Hoyer on Monday afternoon, freeing up what had suddenly become a crowded position.

At best, Hoyer would've been Arizona's third-string QB after the Cardinals traded for former Raiders QB Carson Palmer and signed Drew Stanton this offseason. Quarterback Ryan Lindley, the Cardinals' 2012 sixth-round pick, was also still on Arizona's depth chart.

Hoyer, who signed late last season with Arizona and saw action in just two games, was slated to make just over $2 million dollars this upcoming season. In his lone start, a 27-13 loss to San Francisco, Hoyer threw for 225 yards on 19-of-34 passing, including one touchdown and one interception.

One potential landing spot for Hoyer, who served as Tom Brady's backup in New England for three years, could be Cleveland.

According to NFL.com's Marc Sessler, the Browns had interest in trading for Hoyer during the draft but were unable to get a deal done. Should Hoyer clear waivers, the Browns could potentially sign the 27-year-old in an effort to challenge Brandon Weeden and Jason Campbell this offseason.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/eye-on-football/22230433/cardinals-release-qb-brian-hoyer

austinfrench76
05-13-2013, 03:06 PM
Exactly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!^^^^^^

pczach
05-13-2013, 03:24 PM
That's the guy everyone wanted to keep around? If he can't find a spot on the Cardinals, he's not finding a spot anywhere.

TRH
05-13-2013, 03:57 PM

doesn't matter. Leftwich is going to be the next to go. We're not keeping 4 QB's on the roster.

Lady Steel
05-13-2013, 04:12 PM
That's the guy everyone wanted to keep around? If he can't find a spot on the Cardinals, he's not finding a spot anywhere.

He's a non-story in Pittsburgh that's for sure.

FrancoLambert
05-13-2013, 05:15 PM
:Victorian at CB.

:banging: :doh: :mad: :screwy:

BKAnthem
05-13-2013, 05:28 PM
Sounds like he got caught in a numbers game....

teegre
05-13-2013, 05:45 PM
In another breaking news story:
Chad Scott was released by the Steelers.

Hawaii 5-0
05-13-2013, 05:49 PM
In another breaking news story:
Chad Scott was released by the Steelers.

thank God, let's hope we release Dewayne Washington next...

teegre
05-13-2013, 05:52 PM
thank God, let's hope we release Dewayne Washington next...

DeWayne would ahve been an All-Pro... if his hands were not made of stone.

Every single season, I watched that guy have no less than ten INTs clang off of his hands.

pczach
05-13-2013, 06:05 PM
DeWayne would ahve been an All-Pro... if his hands were not made of stone.

Every single season, I watched that guy have no less than ten INTs clang off of his hands.

Oh to have a guy like Rod Woodson again. Someone that was a dominant cover guy and had amazing ball skills and hands. They don't come around too often.

teegre
05-13-2013, 06:14 PM
Oh to have a guy like Rod Woodson again. Someone that was a dominant cover guy and had amazing ball skills and hands. They don't come around too often.

Indeed.
Rod was the complete package: cover skills, ball skills, big plays, tackling ability, desire, leadership...

Hawaii 5-0
05-13-2013, 06:16 PM
Indeed.
Rod was the complete package: cover skills, ball skills, big plays, tackling ability, desire, leadership...

good thing we got rid of his ass...

teegre
05-13-2013, 06:18 PM
good thing we got rid of his ass...

Well...
The Steelers begged Rod to play FS. Rod was adamant that he could still play CB. After a failed year in SF, he finally agreed to play FS... for the Ravens. (Ugh)

pczach
05-13-2013, 06:33 PM
Indeed.

Every time I hear people say Deion Sanders is the best cornerback ever, I get sick to my stomach. Woodson had elite cover skills, terrific ball skills, great hands, hit like a truck, great return man, great leader, played multiple positions at All-Pro level, could play with absolute ferocity and affect any game with his physicality and his smarts. Sanders had complete disregard for anything other than coverage skills and interceptions. He was half the player of Woodson. If I could start an all-time dream team secondary, it would start with Mel Blount and Rod Woodson. Throw in Ronnie Lott and Troy and you would have a nearly All-Steeler All-Time secondary. How would you like to be a receiver waiting to see who was going to hit you next. That's if you could even get open once in a while. Deion Sanders........would let ball carriers run by him so he didn't have to hit them, he could just jump on their back or push them out of bounds. Pathetic. :jerkit:

zcoop
05-13-2013, 07:49 PM
Every time I hear people say Deion Sanders is the best cornerback ever, I get sick to my stomach. Woodson had elite cover skills, terrific ball skills, great hands, hit like a truck, great return man, great leader, played multiple positions at All-Pro level, could play with absolute ferocity and affect any game with his physicality and his smarts. Sanders had complete disregard for anything other than coverage skills and interceptions. He was half the player of Woodson. If I could start an all-time dream team secondary, it would start with Mel Blount and Rod Woodson. Throw in Ronnie Lott and Troy and you would have a nearly All-Steeler All-Time secondary. How would you like to be a receiver waiting to see who was going to hit you next. That's if you could even get open once in a while. Deion Sanders........would let ball carriers run by him so he didn't have to hit them, he could just jump on their back or push them out of bounds. Pathetic. :jerkit:

Say what you want but with Prime Time, the ball didn't even get thrown to his side of the field. No other back commanded that kind of respect in the game. Teams didn't even go there with him. If they did there was always a high probability of a pic six from anywhere on the field.

Got to give the dude his props.

pczach
05-14-2013, 01:13 PM
Say what you want but with Prime Time, the ball didn't even get thrown to his side of the field. No other back commanded that kind of respect in the game. Teams didn't even go there with him. If they did there was always a high probability of a pic six from anywhere on the field.

Got to give the dude his props.

He was a great cover guy. I'm not disputing that. He was not a complete football player. The players I list above as my dream secondary would be superstars in any era of football ever played or that will be played. Before 1970, when the running game was 80% of a teams offense, Sanders would not even be a starter in the league. You want the definition of dominant? Have a rule change made exclusively to stop you, because you are basically Superman in the secondary. Mel Blount was so dominant, that the league made a rule change just to limit HIS effectiveness.......and he was still great after the rule that was put in place to stop him. THAT is commanding respect in the game. Receivers were afraid to line up against him, and couldn't get open. He'd hit you so hard, yo momma could feel it!:smack: