PDA

View Full Version : The Steelers, playoff caliber?

plenewken
12-09-2012, 02:46 PM
You must be kidding.
Tomlin being outcoached by Norv Turner says it all.

madtowndrunkard
12-09-2012, 02:51 PM
uh yea... the fat lady is singing. Even if by some miracle we made the playoffs...we'd get killed. We have so many issues... from coaching to lack of playmakers... we just aren't that good.

We desperately need a playmaker on both sides of the ball. Our defense is great actually...but it lacks a big play maker. I'm not blaming the defense at all... our offense failed us again. I guess a new OC wasn't the solution after all.

Fire Arians
12-09-2012, 02:56 PM
offensive line couldn't open holes in the running game, and ben was getting killed back there. wallace dropped a sure TD that might have made the game look very different at the time.

they just weren't ready to play today, plain and simple. it's like they expect he bad teams to just roll over and die without a fight, it doesn't work that way

SteelersCanada
12-09-2012, 03:05 PM
Belichick was outcoached by Ken Whisenhunt.

Playoff caliber? You have to be kidding me.

Mike Smith was outcoached by Ron Rivera.

Steel_Bus_24
12-09-2012, 03:12 PM
Im not saying fire Tomlin but come on

give it up guys

Tomlin and the coaching staff deserve to get chewed out for not preparing the team in these so called Trap games

This sh** is happening way too much now.

I never count out the Steelers but something has to be done about their lack of consistency and discipline

Rowland2110
12-09-2012, 03:29 PM
Belichick was outcoached by Ken Whisenhunt.

Mike Smith was outcoached by Ron Rivera.

This isnt a one time thing. Its a pattern. Tomlins teams have lacked discipline even the year we went to the SB again GB. How we even got there still amazing me. I NEVER thought the steelers played clean enough football to get there and it is the reason why we lost..

The jury is still out but right how i can say things look good for Tomlin as a coach. The undisciplined and unprepared football started to creep into this team after SB 43 and it has only gone down hill since then.

ZoneBlitzer
12-09-2012, 03:35 PM

give it up guys

Tomlin and the coaching staff deserve to get chewed out for not preparing the team in these so called Trap games

I never count out the Steelers but something has to be done about their lack of consistency and discipline

You got to coach 'em up. You know your team struggles against below .500 teams so maybe you should adjust? Play more up tempo on O and get them going. Ben is comfortable with it. That's what good coaching does. It puts the players in a situation where they have a better chance to succeed.

ZoneBlitzer
12-09-2012, 03:39 PM
This isnt a one time thing. Its a pattern. Tomlins teams have lacked discipline even the year we went to the SB again GB. How we even got there still amazing me. I NEVER thought the steelers played clean enough football to get there and it is the reason why we lost..

The jury is still out but right how i can say things look good for Tomlin as a coach. The undisciplined and unprepared football started to creep into this team after SB 43 and it has only gone down hill since then.

That is spot on. I've noticed the same thing. Bad teams turn the ball over. I'm pretty sure Pitt is at the top of the league for TOs.

Lady Steel
12-09-2012, 04:25 PM
One thing I have learned after watching this team for so many years is that you can never count them out. Can they get to the playoffs? Yep. Can they get to the big dance? Yep. Can they win the Super Bowl? Yep. I never, ever count them out until or unless, as someone posted in another thread, they are mathematically eliminated. And then I go shopping.

fansince'76
12-09-2012, 04:32 PM

You'll be waiting for a while if a change in head coach is what you're waiting for. If they kept Cowher after that 1998-2003 stretch (3 losing seasons, and 4 non-playoff seasons in six years), do you really think they'll shitcan Tomlin when he hasn't even posted a losing season yet?

Get real.

And if they did decide to replace him, what "proven commodity" do they go after? Reid? Turner? Gruden?

Again, get real.

pancake
12-09-2012, 04:33 PM
wow, we stunk it up today...

ETL
12-09-2012, 04:36 PM

Explain how Tomlin the dumb coach got his team to beat the Ravens with a 3rd string Qb.?

ETL
12-09-2012, 04:37 PM
wow, we stunk it up today...

Agree. 100%

JewniorGong
12-09-2012, 05:02 PM
Of course we can win the Super Bowl.. there are only good teams in the playoffs

What I want to know is when the adjustments will be made to actually come out prepared to play bad teams. I see the teams we struggle against get slaughtered on a week to week basis and just bury my head in my hands

WVABE
12-09-2012, 05:05 PM
Back to back neutral zone infractions don't happen to play off caliber teams.
Losing on a consistant basis to sub 500 teams instant play off caliber team.
Bragged up wide recievers constantly dropping catchable balls arnt worthy of being part of a playoff team.

FacemeIke
12-09-2012, 05:08 PM
There isn't a huge difference between good teams and bad teams in the NFL. A few plays here and there will change most any game unless you're an elite team. We are not an "elite" team this year. We are a good/average team. So it doesn't surprise me that we can beat the Giants but lose to the Raiders. Every game can go either way pretty much.

With that said, I like Tomlin, but I'm really bothered that TWICE he kicked the extra point when we were down by 18. Even if the possiblity of winning was remote, anyone with any football IQ knows to go for 2 in that situation to make it a two score game. It really bothers me that he missed something so basic TWICE. And, if you're going to say that he had already given up, I'd except that argument, but then why is Ben still in there risking injury after missing three weeks with injury!?

Ricco Suavez
12-09-2012, 05:13 PM
The only way Tomlin leaves this team in the next 3-5 years is if he steps down on his own. Just not going to happen with this organization. One reason is there is a lot to be said for continuity in the NFL, Steelers FO does not make rash and knee jerk decisions. We let other teams make those kind of snap judgments. Second they have been around the league long enough to know you are not going to win every game, or make the playoffs every year. This team has some guys who are past their prime, and we have young guys that we have not even had a chance to see what they can do (DeCastro and Spence come to mind) we have guys that are just getting their chance and are looking very promising (Lewis and Cortez) Lets play out the season and see what they can do and still hope they can hot, not going to be easy, but it could happen.

Ricco Suavez
12-09-2012, 05:15 PM
[QUOTE=FacemeIke;1061062]There isn't a huge difference between good teams and bad teams in the NFL. A few plays here and there will change most any game unless you're an elite team. We are not an "elite" team this year. We are a good/average team. So it doesn't surprise me that we can beat the Giants but lose to the Raiders. Every game can go either way pretty much.

This statement here is the most honest and fair appraisal of this and many other teams in todays NFL. As Steeler Fans we expect more and are spoiled to a certain extent.

desertsteel
12-09-2012, 05:16 PM

give it up guys

I never count out the Steelers but something has to be done about their lack of consistency and disciplineGive us your master plan..... we're waiting....

JewniorGong
12-09-2012, 05:16 PM
I don't want Tomlin fired.. I want him to not get complacent and allow the team to get complacent for teams with bad records. You can just tell they have this relaxed, fat-and-happy attitude in these games.. on some "well we beat Baltimore we can take these guys" just hoping to get by because they know they're better. Well no, you're better partially because you're MENTALLY tougher, but if you concede the mental edge to the opponent, allowing them to be the hungrier, more urgent team, you're setting yourself up to fail. I feel it is on Tomlin to maintain the attitude of hunger and urgency that keeps the players at their peak performance

ZoneBlitzer
12-09-2012, 05:50 PM
Without this D, the Steelers would be well below .500. There's a clear blueprint to beating them and it's relatively easy.

SteelersCanada
12-09-2012, 06:16 PM
Without this D, the Steelers would be well below .500. There's a clear blueprint to beating them and it's relatively easy.

Alright, football genius. Please, tell me what this blueprint is as I'd love to hear it. I also think the rest of the NFL would love to have it, because whatever they're doing isn't working. This was a team that was 6-3 and had the ball for 35 minutes a game before Ben was injured.

Please, tell me what this "clear blueprint" is and how it's "relatively easy" to discover. When you're done, you'd better be sending a resume to all the NFL teams because they could use someone like you.

SH-Rock
12-09-2012, 06:21 PM

Pretty sure Giants, Redskins, Ravens wanted to know this blueprint.

harrison'samonster
12-09-2012, 06:26 PM
from what I've seen, the teams that have beaten us this year have beaten our O-line at the line of scrimmage. When our O-line starts pushing through people, we're playing the game we want.

I know that's just saying I want to see more "Steeler football", but it's the way I see it.

JVip
12-09-2012, 06:44 PM
I think they are on the line, people forget that Rivers is a good qb. Anytime you face a franchise qb that team has a chance, especially with all the parity in the NFL.

Besides, only good teams make the playoffs, and we play well against good teams.

JVip
12-09-2012, 06:45 PM
The loss of Adams and Colon has taken the attitude away from our OL too.
Also...
The blue print to beating the Steelers is being below 500.

ebsteelers
12-10-2012, 09:13 AM
whether playoff caliber or not,

steelers control their destiny..

beat the cowboys
beat the bengals get in

lose cowboys
beat bengals
beat browns

in.

the bengals is a must win cause if it goes to tie breakers and junk, who knows if they get in.

if we beat bengals and win one more
thats 9-7
and in over jets and bengals based off head to heads.

if anything else happens who the hell knows

JUST FRIGGIN WIN

Stairway to 7
12-10-2012, 09:19 AM
The loss of Adams and Colon has taken the attitude away from our OL too.
Also...
The blue print to beating the Steelers is being below 500.

Ding ding Adams and Colon were road grading in the run game.

Terminator
12-10-2012, 09:28 AM
steelers control their destiny..

Mike Tomlin, is that you? :noidea:

"THE STANDARD IS THE STANDARD IS THE STANDARD."

"WE OWN IT"

Stairway to 7
12-10-2012, 09:39 AM
Mike Tomlin, is that you? :noidea:

"THE STANDARD IS THE STANDARD IS THE STANDARD."

"WE OWN IT"

Sick and tired of Mr. Cliche, can someone tell me what Tomlin brings to the table because he's not a defensive mind, he sure as shit 'aint an offensive mind either, and he cannot manage a game. His teams regularly come out flat against lesser opponents (all 5 times this year)

So what does he bring?

steelfury02
12-10-2012, 09:43 AM
the problem is, the fire and brimstone doesn't really work either with this bunch of guys - there is a sense of complacency, especially after a huge win. It's like they think they've done something and that they'll just have to show up. The quotes from Keisel are really alarming. They've been in so many tough situations, won huge games - why on earth isn't someone stepping up to get their minds right? Well, that won't work. Nobody can make anybody want it badly enough to sacrifice. A lot of these players have a ton of soul searching to do IMO.

Atlanta Dan
12-10-2012, 09:52 AM

Steelers got to the Super Bowl against Green Bay because Rex Ryan outcoached Belichick and Sanchez outplayed Brady when the Steelers escaped having to go to New England and a likely playoff loss the next week - which probably had something to do with the Pats having absolutely smoked the Jets about a month before in a Monday night game - there is no excuse for a team looking past an opponent but it happens to teams other than the Steelers

Steelers have not had all hands on deck for a game all year - that is not an excuse but is a fact - Colon going down again hurts but if Taylor does not return sooner rather than later the season is officially screwed

For anyone who thought this team was Super Bowl quality going into the season, remember that Sports Illustrated predicted an 8-8 season and a third place finish in the AFC North

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/football/nfl/09/04/nfl-division-predictions-2012-peter-king/index.html

SteeleReign
12-10-2012, 12:34 PM
Steelers got to the Super Bowl against Green Bay because Rex Ryan outcoached Belichick and Sanchez outplayed Brady when the Steelers escaped having to go to New England and a likely playoff loss the next week - which probably had something to do with the Pats having absolutely smoked the Jets about a month before in a Monday night game - there is no excuse for a team looking past an opponent but it happens to teams other than the Steelers

Steelers have not had all hands on deck for a game all year - that is not an excuse but is a fact - Colon going down again hurts but if Taylor does not return sooner rather than later the season is officially screwed

For anyone who thought this team was Super Bowl quality going into the season, remember that Sports Illustrated predicted an 8-8 season and a third place finish in the AFC North

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/football/nfl/09/04/nfl-division-predictions-2012-peter-king/index.html

This team has been trending downward for three years now. The key playmakers on defense are getting old. The playmakers on offense are young. The older players are losing a step, and the younger players are making young player mistakes.

Unfortunately, this recent draft class has been decimated. So, if the Steelers are to avoid a 2-3 year "re-building" phase I believe they need to make a splash or two in the FA market...a la Farrior a few years back.

A veteran, proven leader at LB, DE, or CB would go a long way toward keeping the Steelers in the playoff picture over the next couple of years. Otherwise, we may see this defense lose a lot of ground next year.

Steelerforever77
12-10-2012, 05:32 PM

I totally agree. I noticed that as well, and I'm sure other teams have noticed it when they are preparing for the Steelers. There is now a "blueprint" on how to beat this team and that blueprint began when Arizona almost pulled off an upset in the Super Bowl.

Fire Haley
12-10-2012, 05:41 PM
I see a lazy team.

One week it's the defense that looks like shit, one week it's the running backs, one week it's the WR's, one week it's the OL that shits the bed.

Everybody seems to be looking for a week off from work.

TRH
12-10-2012, 05:41 PM
I totally agree. I noticed that as well, and I'm sure other teams have noticed it when they are preparing for the Steelers. There is now a "blueprint" on how to beat this team and that blueprint began when Arizona almost pulled off an upset in the Super Bowl.

and Rivers exposed another part of that "blueprint" as well. Pass to the OUTside - not inside.
We defend fairly well against passes thrown to the middle of the field - not outstanding - but fairly well.
But we get KILLED when QB's use those outside passes and routes when receivers turn to the sideline instead of to the middle. Thats what Rivers kept doing yesterday.
And Romo loves throwing to the sidelines, especially to Dez Bryant so next week will surely be interesting as you'll know they study this SD/Pitts game intensely.
Better figure out a way to stop it.

Steelerforever77
12-10-2012, 05:44 PM
Of course we can win the Super Bowl.. there are only good teams in the playoffs

What I want to know is when the adjustments will be made to actually come out prepared to play bad teams. I see the teams we struggle against get slaughtered on a week to week basis and just bury my head in my hands

Just because a team makes the playoffs does not mean they are good. It sometimes means they backed their way in, in a weak conference. The Steelers may make the playoffs but it will be a quick exit like last year unless things change. It is a slap in the face as a fan when certain players on the team do not "show up" or try hard in certain games or admittedly are not focused. This is not the Steeler team we are used to. They are almost like imposters. They lack focus, dicipline, and veteran leadership. Someone needs to step up and say "Enough of this, it's not how we do things around here." So far the only one to do that was Brett Keisel. I normally think Big Ben says all the right things interviews but he was dead wrong in being an enabler for Mike Wallace. If a player says or does things that appear they are not giving their best effort, they deserve to get booed. These guys are grown men in a tough game and here they are whining because they are being booed. Get over it guys, play better ball, and don't make dumb comments to the media.

TRH
12-10-2012, 05:45 PM
I see a lazy team.

One week it's the defense that looks like shit, one week it's the running backs, one week it's the WR's, one week it's the OL that shits the bed.

Everybody seems to be looking for a week off from work.

I've noticed the exact same thing...going on 2 years now. At times it looks like the defense just got out of bed and are looking for their morning coffee - practically yawning.
Its equally frustrating when you watch the opponents just about foaming at the mouth, yelling, high-fiving, growling, and we're "just standing around". I haven't seen any of that on this side...since....well....Joey Porter days.
We desperately need that loud, boisterous, "ray lewis" leader of men type of guy (or a couple of them). I'm not a big fan of this "quiet leadership committee".

Steel Peon
12-10-2012, 06:16 PM
Playoffs? Are you kidding me? Don't talk about the playoffs.......the playoffs? Seriously, we are not a playoff caliber team.

Fire Haley
12-10-2012, 09:56 PM
Playoffs? Are you kidding me? Don't talk about the playoffs.......the playoffs?

Yo hippie

that lame quote jumped the shark, like, 2 years ago

Fire Haley
12-10-2012, 09:59 PM
I've noticed the exact same thing...going on 2 years now. At times it looks like the defense just got out of bed and are looking for their morning coffee - practically yawning.

maybe Hardass Mike is wearing them out in no-pads practice

tony hipchest
12-10-2012, 10:08 PM
and Rivers exposed another part of that "blueprint" as well. Pass to the OUTside - not inside.

actually brandon weeden and the browns can get credit for this.

i believe it was pat kirwan, the day after the browns loss, who pointed out how the browns made a concerted effort to target the outside and to expect all other teams who faced the steelers #1 pass defense for the remainder of the season, to do so as well.

the chargers did so. (ravens were too dumb to, and probably a main reason cam cameron was fired today).

dallas and the bungles will look at this as well, so you know lebeau and the secondary coach are going back to the drawing board, especially with taylor out.

Fire Haley
12-10-2012, 10:22 PM
a confession

maybe I was too high on Worilds, bring back the 295 lb run stuffer, Woodley

StainlessStill
12-10-2012, 11:00 PM
Playoff caliber? Of course and we ALL should thank Ben Roethlisberger for that! This dude is a downright TERMINATOR. Too bad he has to run for his damn life while doing it but nonetheless, Big Ben is our only hope!

Stairway to 7
12-11-2012, 06:24 AM
Team in transition, simple as that. The offense is young and improving, the defense needs a dominant pass rusher, and a little help elsewhere.

The offense is new and needs time to bed in. The talent is there on the o-line it's just never healthy.

I think the two things this team needs most clearly are a real every down type back, because this RBBC will never get it done week in week out. We need a feature back, simple as. We also need someone who can actually get to the QB, our sacks are all really coverage sacks, Harrison is too slow now, and Woodley is far too fat/hurt all the time, to get consistent pressure.

Get a feature back, get a pass rusher and we're good to go.

maddog78
12-11-2012, 07:10 AM
Team in transition, simple as that. The offense is young and improving, the defense needs a dominant pass rusher, and a little help elsewhere.

The offense is new and needs time to bed in. The talent is there on the o-line it's just never healthy.

I think the two things this team needs most clearly are a real every down type back, because this RBBC will never get it done week in week out. We need a feature back, simple as. We also need someone who can actually get to the QB, our sacks are all really coverage sacks, Harrison is too slow now, and Woodley is far too fat/hurt all the time, to get consistent pressure.

Get a feature back, get a pass rusher and we're good to go.

Unfortunately, we're way over the cap next year and will have to flush a ton of vets that are still playing. That's going to be a blessing or a curse, depending on how well Tomlin and Colbert have drafted recently, especially on defense.

Quite possible that Hampton, Keisel, Harrison, Foote, and Taylor are all gone next year. If they were all hurt now, are you comfortable with their backups?

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2012/08/an-early-look-at-the-steelers-2013-salary-cap-situation/

Atlanta Dan
12-11-2012, 07:14 AM
Ed.B. of the P-G shares his thoughts

They have consistently lost to bad teams, as they did in 2009. If they do not make the playoffs this season, that will be twice in four seasons, and also leave just one season in the past four in which they’ve won a playoff game. Maybe they’re just not that good and many of us overrated them.

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/pro-sports/steelers/119181-ed-just-send-the-lombardi-to-new-england

Stairway to 7
12-11-2012, 07:38 AM
Unfortunately, we're way over the cap next year and will have to flush a ton of vets that are still playing. That's going to be a blessing or a curse, depending on how well Tomlin and Colbert have drafted recently, especially on defense.

Quite possible that Hampton, Keisel, Harrison, Foote, and Taylor are all gone next year. If they were all hurt now, are you comfortable with their backups?

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2012/08/an-early-look-at-the-steelers-2013-salary-cap-situation/

I think there's guys we can get rid of, Harrison for one. Probably Hasmpton too. But I know the cap situation will be bad again, and we don;t sign FA's anyway. I never even get interested in FA because I know we will do nothing.

Who was the last major FA we signed?

I'm probably not comfortable with their backups, but what do you do? keep overpaying past it veterans?

We could resolve the Wallace situation, we could dump Redman who serves no purpose, and of course Spinthenfall should be gone. I'm in favour of getting a RB who can do it all, I can't stand this RBBC nonsense.

To me the bigger issue is the clown in the sunglasses, no-one can tell me what he brings to the table, and as if that were not enough, he cannot manage a game. His team comes out way too flat way too often. We have all seen it.

But I know he will be back.

I like the offense, it just needs a feature back, FWP looks like AP to me right now. There's a ton of good YOUNG talent on the line, they just need to gel and stay healthy, Starks is the oldest guy at 31.

teegre
12-11-2012, 08:03 AM
I think there's guys we can get rid of, Harrison for one. Probably Hasmpton too. But I know the cap situation will be bad again, and we don;t sign FA's anyway. I never even get interested in FA because I know we will do nothing.

Who was the last major FA we signed?

I'm probably not comfortable with their backups, but what do you do? keep overpaying past it veterans?

We could resolve the Wallace situation, we could dump Redman who serves no purpose, and of course Spinthenfall should be gone. I'm in favour of getting a RB who can do it all, I can't stand this RBBC nonsense.

To me the bigger issue is the clown in the sunglasses, no-one can tell me what he brings to the table, and as if that were not enough, he cannot manage a game. His team comes out way too flat way too often. We have all seen it.

But I know he will be back.

I like the offense, it just needs a feature back, FWP looks like AP to me right now. There's a ton of good YOUNG talent on the line, they just need to gel and stay healthy, Starks is the oldest guy at 31.

After Starks (31) & The Colon (27), the rest if them are yoooung.

Adams, DD: 22
Beachum, Gilbert, Pouncey: 23

Stairway to 7
12-11-2012, 09:04 AM
After Starks (31) & The Colon (27), the rest if them are yoooung.

Adams, DD: 22
Beachum, Gilbert, Pouncey: 23

And 27 is not old. If he could stay healthy Colon could play 5 more years minimum.

Even Legursky who can play a bit is only about 26-27.

They don't actually need help, they need health.

The defense is more of a WIP, but even in transition it's as good as a defense is allowed to be these days, just lacks TO's and QB pressure.

We need a feature back so badly IMO, if the Rooney's want a strong ground game, then get us a real back.

Steel_Bus_24
12-11-2012, 10:05 AM
And 27 is not old. If he could stay healthy Colon could play 5 more years minimum.

Even Legursky who can play a bit is only about 26-27.

They don't actually need help, they need health.

The defense is more of a WIP, but even in transition it's as good as a defense is allowed to be these days, just lacks TO's and QB pressure.

We need a feature back so badly IMO, if the Rooney's want a strong ground game, then get us a real back.

We'll be 1 and done in the Playoffs until that changes