PDA

View Full Version : We don't deserve the playoffs

Fire Arians
12-09-2012, 03:49 PM
Not only getting beat, but getting BLOWN OUT at home against a below average team? Did we just expect to steamroll this game because big mighty ben is back and we made a statement game against the ravens? surely the chargers would just come down and lay down for us, right?

Judging by the play of both offensive lines, if I had to guess one team was losing 3 starters, it would be us, not them.

Tomlin getting out-coached by Norv Turner, who doesn't deserve to be an NFL head coach (which is why he's getting fired), and led the biggest team of under-achievers in the last decade, of course, not to be outdone by us today.

5 games on the schedule after baltimore that we 'should win', of course, that made me nervous, because we 'should have' beaten oakland, tennessee, cleveland, and 'should have' won against KC easily, but did we?

Ever since Tomlin took over, does it seem like we always never win the easy ones? Who takes the blame for not getting the team ready in games we should win? That falls on the HC imo.

I can't even say I'm that disappointed about this game, as our team seems to be predictable in allowing these letdown games to happen against weaker competition. Who knows though, maybe if we manage to squeak into the playoffs, we don't have to worry about 'trap' games since they're all good teams? :chuckle:

but hey it could be worse, at least we didn't get swept by baltimore again.

maddog78
12-09-2012, 03:52 PM
Agreed. Four bad losses to tomato cans, which makes the Steelers a tomato can.

I'm officially rooting for 7-9 and a roster overhaul now. This team is full of fat cats that need to be put out to pasture.

fer522
12-09-2012, 03:56 PM
Man you better don't criticize tomlin here or youre gonna get eaten alive

Fire Arians
12-09-2012, 03:57 PM
Agreed. Four bad losses to tomato cans, which makes the Steelers a tomato can.

I'm officially rooting for 7-9 and a roster overhaul now. This team is full of fat cats that need to be put out to pasture.

I won't ever root for 7-9, but this team has some major issues with discipline. under cowher i definitely didn't fear playing weaker teams like I've done since tomlin took over. It seems like we only have good seasons when playing a tough schedule

Fire Arians
12-09-2012, 03:59 PM

bring it on, it is what it is. fact is ever since he took over we fall in these trap games a lot more frequently.

and he DID get outcoached by norv today, you guys seen the same game I was watching.

not saying he's a failure as a head coach, but he needs to get the troops ready to play against teams we should be putting away by the first half

I usually hate when the home crowd boos the team, but they deserved every bit of it. the play of the team just screamed 'unprepared' to me

Steel_Bus_24
12-09-2012, 04:02 PM
Yep..Its ffffing frustrating as hell to have to edure

This is like a straight up Bane(TDKR Reference) style Torture we have going here

It seems Tomlin and Steelers want to give the fans just enough hope to make the pain feel that much worse when they fold

SteelersCanada
12-09-2012, 04:02 PM

Blindly saying he should be fired is the dumbest thing anyone could say. The fact of the matter is, the Steelers aren't letting him go anywhere and talking about him being fired is ridiculous.

Saying we don't deserve the playoffs is also ridiculous. The Giants lost to below average teams and often looked average themselves early on in the season last year. Ben needs a week, and we need DeCastro playing - not Doug Legursky. Shit happens and we overlook opponents. This shouldn't be new to you as this is something we've always done and will continue to do. This can be dated back to Cowher, but don't dare criticize Coach Bill, because Tomlin won with his players!

We're not out of this thing, and if we get in, we're going to be dangerous. Ben just needs a week to come back and get back in groove.

fer522
12-09-2012, 04:04 PM
I agree with you (fire Arians)1000% but it seems like there's some people here that don't watch the same games we watch:noidea:

MACH1
12-09-2012, 04:05 PM
Not only getting beat, but getting BLOWN OUT at home against a below average team? Did we just expect to steamroll this game because big mighty ben is back and we made a statement game against the ravens? surely the chargers would just come down and lay down for us, right?

Judging by the play of both offensive lines, if I had to guess one team was losing 3 starters, it would be us, not them.

Tomlin getting out-coached by Norv Turner, who doesn't deserve to be an NFL head coach (which is why he's getting fired), and led the biggest team of under-achievers in the last decade, of course, not to be outdone by us today.

5 games on the schedule after baltimore that we 'should win', of course, that made me nervous, because we 'should have' beaten oakland, tennessee, cleveland, and 'should have' won against KC easily, but did we?

Ever since Tomlin took over, does it seem like we always never win the easy ones? Who takes the blame for not getting the team ready in games we should win? That falls on the HC imo.

I can't even say I'm that disappointed about this game, as our team seems to be predictable in allowing these letdown games to happen against weaker competition. Who knows though, maybe if we manage to squeak into the playoffs, we don't have to worry about 'trap' games since they're all good teams? :chuckle:

It could be worse, getting swept by the clowns.

But yeah this goes squarely on Tomlin. IMO

Fire Arians
12-09-2012, 04:08 PM
Blindly saying he should be fired is the dumbest thing anyone could say. The fact of the matter is, the Steelers aren't letting him go anywhere and talking about him being fired is ridiculous.

Saying we don't deserve the playoffs is also ridiculous. The Giants lost to below average teams and often looked average themselves early on in the season last year. Ben needs a week, and we need DeCastro playing - not Doug Legursky. Shit happens and we overlook opponents. This shouldn't be new to you as this is something we've always done and will continue to do. This can be dated back to Cowher, but don't dare criticize Coach Bill, because Tomlin won with his players!

We're not out of this thing, and if we get in, we're going to be dangerous. Ben just needs a week to come back and get back in groove.

yeah everything is fine and dandy, we lost to the titans, chargers, browns, and raiders. playoffs here we come? yeah, unfortunately, we have to play more crappy teams like dallas and cleveland (uh oh) again, lol

the giants dropped some games against bad teams, but we literally lost every one against a bad team this year, except the chiefs, who we needed OT to beat, and we were aided by some lucky tickytack penalties in that one

losing in a hard fought battle against a team with nothing to lose, sure I guess that would be acceptable, but you absolutely cannot defend today's debacle. we were destroyed by a bad team at home, what's the excuse for that? time to unleash hell on our opponents? :chuckle:

AndyWitmyer
12-09-2012, 04:18 PM
Right now, Ben and Co. have to look at this is as a kind of a practice. Which is not what they (or the fans) were hoping for. This last quarter, they were playing for pride and pride only. Two positives have come out this (even if they no longer matter in terms of winning):

That last punt (which would have ordinarily been awesome) was the longest punt in Steelers since the 40's.

Mike Wallace is finally starting to get his mojo back.

Again, it's not enough. They were playing a team that has nothing left to play for aside from playing for Norv, and to play the part of spoiler for teams like the Steelers. Today, the Chargers managed to do both.

btaylor179
12-09-2012, 04:19 PM
i agree 1000% tomlin was out coached by norv turner!!!!!!!! we aren't that good......once again like ive said all year we play down to our competition and its our sorry ass coachs fault......we go for it on 4th down before the half when our offense hasnt moved the ball all game.......and then norv calls the fake punt and we are not aware at all...plain and simple we are not tthat good.......atleast the bengals lost .

AndyWitmyer
12-09-2012, 04:21 PM
Bengals lose.

Rowland2110
12-09-2012, 04:24 PM

Im not sure Tomlin sympathizers would have much ammo after today. It is very obvious this is the same team it was at the beginning of the season and nothing has changed.

Unprepared. Undisciplined. As usual.

The difference the team is not great anymore and cant recover from its mistakes. So it has to play clean disciplined football. But it just DOES NOT on a consistent bases.

Fire Arians
12-09-2012, 04:24 PM
bengals lose today which is good for our chances, but it doesn't make me feel any better about today's effort

SteelersCanada
12-09-2012, 04:26 PM
Oh, look. The Bengals and Ravens lost. So, this game meant exactly 0 in terms of us losing. Would it have been better to win? Absolutely. Are we all Steelers fans again and be very optimistic? Some of you guys are unreal.

Ben threw a pick - cut him. Everything bad that has happened to the Steelers in the history of the organization is Tomlin's fault, and Dwyer is a legitimate running back. Sounds about right.

xbroughneck
12-09-2012, 04:31 PM
Deserving or not...Steelers still control their own destiny even after today.

What's sad is that a loss at home to team with a losing record isn't a shock to me. Nor is poor use of timeouts (because they are wasted to stop penalties).

I like Mike Tomlin, but this is one very unorganized franchise.

Oh, and Pouncey at center looked bad today. I was actually glad to see Legursky take the center spot and Pouncey move to guard.

Rowland2110
12-09-2012, 04:33 PM
Oh, look. The Bengals and Ravens lost. So, this game meant exactly 0 in terms of us losing. Would it have been better to win? Absolutely. Are we all Steelers fans again and be very optimistic? Some of you guys are unreal.

Ben threw a pick - cut him. Everything bad that has happened to the Steelers in the history of the organization is Tomlin's fault, and Dwyer is a legitimate running back. Sounds about right.

Care factor ZERO. When you are counting on other teams to lose to help you get into the play offs this early you are already done. This team will get destroyed by the Texans, new england and probably Denver or any real SB contender. They might be able to compete and maybe even win 1 game with those teams but never two in a row. Forget it, it aint happening.

Stangboy06
12-09-2012, 04:34 PM
Bengals lose.

ratbirds lose Got lucky today Wondering if there going to play football next week

ETL
12-09-2012, 04:35 PM
This is a stupid post. Are you insinuating that if we make the playoffs we should not show up because we don't "deserve" it?

GMU Steeler
12-09-2012, 04:37 PM
You could say Cincy doesn't "deserve" it either because they did everything possible to give Dallas that victory. Really, I hate "deserve the playoffs" posts, if you want to say we played like shit today, go for it, I'm right there with you but "don't deserve the playoffs" is silly when every team makes or misses the playoffs by the same rules.

Steelerindc
12-09-2012, 04:38 PM
I'm not a Tomlin sympathizer and I have questioned him many times this year (especially 3&2 against B'more), but is there a coach you would rather have coaching this team?

This has not been his best year as the Steelers HC, for some reason I feel like the relationship between him and Haley is not a good one.

Most of you might disagree, but I believe the relationship between HC and OC is very important and I don't think these two mesh with each other right now.

AndyWitmyer
12-09-2012, 04:43 PM
If a team gets into the playoffs - then, going strictly by the rules of the game...I mean, like it or not...that team deserves to be there.

We haven't been ruled out - with the Bengals and Ravens both losing, it kind of makes the loss more palatable - but holy hell, had they beaten the Chargers, it would have gone a long way towards strengthening their 6th seed position.

PhantomJB93
12-09-2012, 04:45 PM
Yeah the Tomlin hate is starting to remind me of the Suisham hate last year. Yeah, he makes some boneheaded decisions sometimes, but I guarantee if anyone else not named Belichick, Coughlin, Payton, or McCarthy were coaching this team, you'd be even more fed up.

Yes we can still make it to the playoffs, especially with Cincy losing today, but the way we played was ridiculously disheartening. This is the stretch of the season where you're supposed to turn it into high gear and really start on a roll and build momentum into the playoffs. We did the opposite.

AndyWitmyer
12-09-2012, 04:48 PM
Yeah the Tomlin hate is starting to remind me of the Suisham hate last year. Yeah, he makes some boneheaded decisions sometimes, but I guarantee if anyone else not named Belichick, Coughlin, Payton, or McCarthy were coaching this team, you'd be even more fed up.

Yes we can still make it to the playoffs, especially with Cincy losing today, but the way we played was ridiculously disheartening. This is the stretch of the season where you're supposed to turn it into high gear and really start on a roll and build momentum into the playoffs. We did the opposite.

We were playing a desperate team with a horrible record that was definitely playing to keep their coach from losing his job. They had nothing left to lose - except for their price, and their coach. I don't care what our record is (or anyone else's): that makes a 4-10 a very dangerous team to play.

Combine with a rusty first half performance from Ben and you get the game that we got. Classic trap game.

Lady Steel
12-09-2012, 04:52 PM
We were playing a desperate team with a horrible record that was definitely playing to keep their coach from losing his job. They had nothing left to lose - except for their price, and their coach. I don't care what our record is (or anyone else's): that makes a 4-10 a very dangerous team to play.

Combine with a rusty first half performance from Ben and you get the game that we got. Classic trap game.

Yep, and we have an uphill battle playing the Cowboys next week, too, who will be a team to be reckoned with given the events that happened with their team this week. The Steelers need to get their heads out of their butts and be prepared for Dallas.

ChristianKustomz
12-09-2012, 04:56 PM
I have had enough of this Steelers franchise, coaches and players.

I do blame Tomlin for quite a bit here. The buck stops with him. I'm tired of the same interviews "well we take responsibility for this game. It's our bad. Ummm you know the standard is the standard and we'll just have to go back to basics because ummm well the standard is the standard" etc.!

Fire Todd Haley, get rid of that worthless, overpaid spider monkey Wallace who couldn't even catch a cold, fire Mendenhall, fire Leftwich and possibly keep Batch. As much as I can't stand the guy he played a hell of a lot better then Big Ben.

Do we deserve the playoffs? I agree with the OP. It would be nice to be champs again but I dont see that happening with our team playing like a bunch of retards eating an icecreme cone. We do not deserve it the way they have been playing. You can win championships with turnover after turnover after turnover; or penalties; or fumbles; or dropped passes; or special teams lost yards etc.

I live Ben but I think he just needs to sit these out.

AndyWitmyer
12-09-2012, 04:59 PM

I do blame Tomlin for quite a bit here. The buck stops with him. I'm tired of the same interviews "well we take responsibility for this game. It's our bad. Ummm you know the standard is the standard and we'll just have to go back to basics because ummm well the standard is the standard" etc.!

Fire Todd Haley, get rid of that worthless, overpaid spider monkey Wallace who couldn't even catch a cold, fire Mendenhall, fire Leftwich and possibly keep Batch. As much as I can't stand the guy he played a hell of a lot better then Big Ben.

Do we deserve the playoffs? I agree with the OP. It would be nice to be champs again but I dont see that happening with our team playing like a bunch of retards eating an icecreme cone. We do not deserve it the way they have been playing. You can win championships with turnover after turnover after turnover; or penalties; or fumbles; or dropped passes; or special teams lost yards etc.

:blah:

Would like some whine with your cheese? They played a bad game in a mediocre season. Believe it or not, every team in the league will have a disappointing. And if you think the buck stops at Haley or Tomlin, you're entirely deluded.

AndyWitmyer
12-09-2012, 05:02 PM
And, I dunno - this was Wallace's best game all season. He'll need to keep this up if he's sincerely interested in keeping his job here in Pittsburgh. The team may have lost, but he was one of the brighter spots (in that he's shown some definite improvement) - so why all of the hate? Wallace has been disappointing, but we've still got a few more games left for him to exorcise the demons.

fansince'76
12-09-2012, 05:09 PM

How the fuck does Ben get back up to game speed by continuing to sit out?

Think, then post.

OX1947
12-09-2012, 05:11 PM
Before 7 years ago, I would have said the same thing. But in this NFL, teams can suck balls all year, squeak in the playoffs and win it all. Only one 1 seed has won the super bowl in the last 7 years. And 4 of the 7 were wild card teams.

Lady Steel
12-09-2012, 05:14 PM

Congratulations! You've officially lost your mind. :chuckle:

fer522
12-09-2012, 05:21 PM

Dude how many coronas did you have :doh: and you forgot FIRE the water boy!!!

Fire Arians
12-09-2012, 05:22 PM
Before 7 years ago, I would have said the same thing. But in this NFL, teams can suck balls all year, squeak in the playoffs and win it all. Only one 1 seed has won the super bowl in the last 7 years. And 4 of the 7 were wild card teams.

more power to you for being optimistic, but as many mental lapses this season i've seen from the team, this isn't one that's going to run the table in the playoffs, I'm just being realistic here. Sure we got a better than average team, but this team doesn't have the same feeling as the 2005 steelers did.

if someone made a bet with you that the steelers weren't going to the super bowl, would you have enough confidence in the team to take that bet?

casteeler
12-09-2012, 05:27 PM
more power to you for being optimistic, but as many mental lapses this season i've seen from the team, this isn't one that's going to run the table in the playoffs, I'm just being realistic here. Sure we got a better than average team, but this team doesn't have the same feeling as the 2005 steelers did.

if someone made a bet with you that the steelers weren't going to the super bowl, would you have enough confidence in the team to take that bet?

It's good to see that other people realize this team has problems. Optimism is nice but open your eyes and see that these problems won't disappear before next Sunday @Dallas

SteelCurtain5643
12-09-2012, 05:27 PM
Ok so I didnt watch today but THE FUCKING CHARGERS?? Really? How the hell does this team continue to lose to such shit teams? I dont get it, they play their heart out last week against Baltimore with Charlie Batch then lose to this shit team with big ben back.

btaylor179
12-09-2012, 05:33 PM
tomlin isnt very good as a coach....im over his ass....he doesn't seem to keep the guys very motivated

pancake
12-09-2012, 05:38 PM
I don't understand why we play bad against bad teams. Is it bad coaching or a players issue? I think a little of both.

Lady Steel
12-09-2012, 05:39 PM
I don't understand why we play bad against bad teams. Is it bad coaching or a players issue? I think a little of both.

Kryptonite.

OX1947
12-09-2012, 05:44 PM

The Giants were pathetic last year and only got into the playoffs because the NFC East was terrible, and they worked everyone the last 4 games. It doesn't make sense but if the steelers are only going to dominate good teams, then the playoffs this year will be good.

GoFor7
12-09-2012, 05:45 PM
tomlin isnt very good as a coach....im over his ass....he doesn't seem to keep the guys very motivated

He does against the good teams like the Giants and Ravens. Against crappy, sub-.500 teams though, not so much...

Jt20042
12-09-2012, 05:46 PM
I think it's both because I blame the coach for not having his players motivated. Yes, you are gonna have bad days and not play well every single week during the regular season, but this is a recurring issue with the Steelers. They should've blown away a team like the Chargers today, especially at home.
My disappointment was eased a bit with the Bengal and Ravens losses, but this could've been the Steelers chance to gain on both of those teams and they blew it!! Nobody's fault but their own.:banging:

fansince'76
The Giants were pathetic last year and only got into the playoffs because the NFC East was terrible, and they worked everyone the last 4 games. It doesn't make sense but if the steelers are only going to dominate good teams, then the playoffs this year will be good.

Exactly. The Giants were 7-7, a game behind the Cowboys and left for dead with 2 games remaining last season.

The fact of the matter is there are NO dominant teams in this league anymore. Any team can beat any other team on any given week.

Danny136200

shut up

Fire Arians
12-09-2012, 05:47 PM
shut up

make me :chuckle:

maddog78
12-09-2012, 05:48 PM
Exactly. The Giants were 7-7, a game behind the Cowboys and left for dead with 2 games remaining last season.

The fact of the matter is there are NO dominant teams in this league anymore. Any team can beat any other team on any given week.

Maybe this year we'll be the shittiest playoff team and won't have anyone to overlook, like Tebow and Denver.

SteeleReign
12-09-2012, 05:51 PM
Maybe this year we'll be the shittiest playoff team and won't have anyone to overlook, like Tebow and Denver.

Hey, you know what....that could work!!

SteelCurtain5643
12-09-2012, 05:51 PM
at least cinci and baltimore both lost today, makes me feel a little better, hopefully we beat the fuck out of tony homo and the cowgirls next week

Fire Arians
12-09-2012, 05:53 PM

hey you got a point there :chuckle:

is it a bad thing that I'm more worried about playing dallas and cleveland than cincy?

NSMaster56
'Deserve's got nothin' to do with it.'
-Snoop Pearson, The Wire

Ricco Suavez
Cowher had something going for him Tomlin has not had since his hire. A legit OL and power RB. We have a run game that is very inconsistent, SD stacked the line and did not fear the big hitter that might bust a long run. The line looked as poor today as it looked improving last week. The defense let Rivers have too much time especially with that makeshift OL they fielded. Lets not forget Cowher teams were not immune to losses to bad teams, 2-14 Oakland in 2006 , 5-11 Cleveland, 6-10 Jets, 7-9 SF in 2004, (skipped Bens rookie season of 15-1, we just did not lose that season) Houston 4-12 in 2003. Every team loses to teams that have less than stellar records even Cowher led teams.

With all that said Tomlin has his work cut out for him, some tough moves need to be made,(and I thought last year was tough as far as cutting some old favorites). Coaches are going to have to be held accountable including his self. I thought Haley did as poor of job with the offense today as he has all year, the run was not working and we continued to try running early and leaving Ben in passing situation where the line succumbed to the rush. The defense had to stay on the field today more and their age showed for the only the second time this season.

As far as not deserving, if we make it in we deserve, just like every team's record reflects their season. Giants were 7-7 with 2 games left last year, did they deserve to make it, did they deserve to play in the post season. I know we all were disgusted by the play of the Steelers today, I have been disgusted at times this year even in wins. I felt before Ben went down that we were starting to jell and come together as a unit both on defense and offense. WE STILL CAN. But its going to take some hard looks by the players and coaches at themselves. I would like to see us handle our motivation behind closed doors and man up in the locker room, no rah rah talk on TV , just get it done. WE were given a reprieve by the Cowboys in their win over Cincy , now we need to pay them back by beating them next week at their home.

pete74
12-09-2012, 05:54 PM
Who are these bad teams the giants lost to last season? Besides The Saints and 49'ers who were awesome I only remember them losing division games which are always tough

fansince'76
12-09-2012, 06:02 PM
Who are these bad teams the giants lost to last season? Besides The Saints and 49'ers who were awesome I only remember them losing division games which are always tough

They were swept by the 5-11 Redskins by double digits in both games. They lost at home to the 7-9 Seahawks. Rationalize it any way you want, but their regular season performance was simply not that impressive. And nobody in their right mind gave them a snowball's chance in hell of doing anything at the beginning of the postseason last year.

Ricco Suavez
12-09-2012, 06:04 PM

Division game or not they lost to Wash twice and they finished 5-11, lost to Seattle 7-9 and the Eagles who collapsed last year and finished 8-8. We have lost to a Cleveland team that whether any Steeler wants to give credit to or not is a quality opponent and young and improving. Losses to Oak and Tenn hurt as much as any, but there is history with both those teams much like divisional teams. San Diego was blowing Denver out and then went stone cold and they are now 5-8 and Norv Turner while not being able to win, has a stellar record in December games. (Plus they were due). We had a rusty QB who either you throw him out there and hope he gets his game back or you continue to sit him on the bench and that makes no sense at all.

desertsteel
12-09-2012, 06:05 PM
I'm ready for the bench Ben and start Batch threads............

The Curtain's Crusader
12-09-2012, 06:22 PM
hey you got a point there :chuckle:

is it a bad thing that I'm more worried about playing dallas and cleveland than cincy?

Shouldn't be worried about Dallas...they have a winning record now.

LVSteelersfan
12-09-2012, 06:23 PM
Bottom line is the players play with no heart and no fire. Doesn't matter what the coaching staff does if the players just go through the motions. We should have eaten that Oline for dinner and knocked RIvers on his butt all day long. Giving up third down after third down after third down and then fourth down is just pathetic and shows lack of focus big time. Maybe the coaching staff is not instilling that fire. Maybe not. But bottom line is the players need to want to win. And they can't wait for the second half to get the fire going. It has to start on the first play of the game. I live and breathe Steelers football and this lack of concern on the players' parts is disturbing.

pete74
12-09-2012, 06:28 PM
They were swept by the 5-11 Redskins by double digits in both games. They lost at home to the 7-9 Seahawks. Rationalize it any way you want, but their regular season performance was simply not that impressive. And nobody in their right mind gave them a snowball's chance in hell of doing anything at the beginning of the postseason last year.

So the seahawks who had a top run game and decent defense is the only bad team they lostt to out of there division?

TRH
12-09-2012, 06:40 PM
Bottom line is the players play with no heart and no fire. Doesn't matter what the coaching staff does if the players just go through the motions. We should have eaten that Oline for dinner and knocked RIvers on his butt all day long. Giving up third down after third down after third down and then fourth down is just pathetic and shows lack of focus big time. Maybe the coaching staff is not instilling that fire. Maybe not. But bottom line is the players need to want to win. And they can't wait for the second half to get the fire going. It has to start on the first play of the game. I live and breathe Steelers football and this lack of concern on the players' parts is disturbing.

To me - Timmons was the only one who appeared to be giving his all on every play. Everybody else seemingly looked like they were "just hanging out"

Fire Arians
12-09-2012, 06:42 PM
So the seahawks who had a top run game and decent defense is the only bad team they lostt to out of there division?

that seattle team last year was still pretty good compared to any of the teams we lost to this year, except denver and baltimore

AndyWitmyer
12-09-2012, 06:52 PM

Arrogance. Sometimes its justified - this year it wasn't. But, ultimately...that's what it comes down to. And I would personally put most of the blame on the players. I don't care who's coaching, they should know how to catch the damn ball without dropping and/or fumbling it.

AndyWitmyer
12-09-2012, 06:58 PM
We have lost to a Cleveland team that whether any Steeler wants to give credit to or not is a quality opponent and young and improving..

I'm willing to admit it - and have done so already. They're an up and coming team. In a couple of years, I predict that they'll surpass the Bengals, and in terms of divisional success, will give the Steelers and Baltimore a run for their money.

Just as the Ravens suck far worse than their record would suggest...the Browns having been playing at a level much greater much better than their win-loss ratio would have us believe.

Steel_Bus_24
12-09-2012, 07:01 PM
Arrogance. Sometimes its justified - this year it wasn't. But, ultimately...that's what it comes down to. And I would personally put most of the blame on the players. I don't care who's coaching, they should know how to catch the damn ball without dropping and/or fumbling it.

How the hell can they be arrogant having lost to the Raiders Titans Browns

and giving up 8 TOs in one those fffing game

Watching this team this year has just been truly maddening.....Its like Im cranking one of those stupid Jack in the boxes

Sometimes a hot woman pops out gives me a nice kiss and lets me get in a quick feel of the goods

and other times out pops a Prime Mike Tyson Hook

AndyWitmyer
12-09-2012, 07:02 PM
Yep, and we have an uphill battle playing the Cowboys next week, too, who will be a team to be reckoned with given the events that happened with their team this week. The Steelers need to get their heads out of their butts and be prepared for Dallas.

We'll win this game against Dallas. Put your money on it. :drink:

ZoneBlitzer
12-09-2012, 07:03 PM

I think it's leadership on the team, particularly on offense. Do you think Brady would let this happen on his watch? No way. I'm getting tired of seeing Ben standing on the sideline with a smug look. At least Rivers shows a pulse and gets a bit fired up. The Steelers lack the leadership needed to pull the guys up when things aren't going their way. I thought for a second on the pass to Plax who made a great catch but then after that he never saw the light of day again. There's no Bus no more and now no Hines. Somebody has to step up and lead this offense. Ben's method is to scramble around on nearly every passing down. Admirable as it is, it's not going to cut it in the long run. They need to respect their opponent and play sharp efficient football. You can see your accountable all you like but if guys don't perform, that shows their true colors.

AndyWitmyer
12-09-2012, 07:08 PM
How the hell can they be arrogant having lost to the Raiders Titans Browns...

Three Super Bowl appearances in the last 10 years, with two wins...and more trophies than any other team in the league. I firmly believe that (regardless of the coach) that sort of thing can make teams lax - teams like the Steelers expect to win year in and year out.

That sort of thinking can be dangerous bc not only will it make players "less hungry", but opposing teams who are less fortunate than the Steelers seem to think of a game against the Steelers is their own little Super Bowl. If the Steelers rest on their (well-deserved) laurels, then you're going to get games like this - *especially* against shitty teams.

Ricco Suavez
12-09-2012, 08:33 PM
Hell lets just blow this team up. I mean we not dominating anyone like video games, we are not Cowher's team anymore, we can't even run the ball anymore either. Yea lets jus blow it up, fire the Coach, the front office too, might as well get rid of Ben too. I mean we can be just like Dallas then hip hip hooray. Me personally,I hate losing, but more than anything I hate the hate on this board after most losses.

GoFor7
12-09-2012, 08:38 PM
I think it's leadership on the team, particularly on offense. Do you think Brady would let this happen on his watch? No way. I'm getting tired of seeing Ben standing on the sideline with a smug look. At least Rivers shows a pulse and gets a bit fired up. The Steelers lack the leadership needed to pull the guys up when things aren't going their way. I thought for a second on the pass to Plax who made a great catch but then after that he never saw the light of day again. There's no Bus no more and now no Hines. Somebody has to step up and lead this offense. Ben's method is to scramble around on nearly every passing down. Admirable as it is, it's not going to cut it in the long run. They need to respect their opponent and play sharp efficient football. You can see your accountable all you like but if guys don't perform, that shows their true colors.

Wow, you really look for every opportunity to bash Ben don't you? You're right though, it is Ben's fault the WRs keep dropping catchable balls. Therefore Haley should yell at Ben and bench him for the WRs incompetence. :coffee:

steelfury02
12-09-2012, 08:39 PM
ok. but the "everything is gunna be ok after losin to a bottom feedur yet again fer da 4th time, da Giants went on a run yer gunna see cause we can too, yer an idiot for feelin that way" is more obnoxious.

At this point in the season, they have 3 games left to fix a ton of mistakes. Ben comes back, and now the defense decides to show how it can be beat. The injuries, lack of focus far outweigh any positives. You can keep sugar coating it all you want. I'll take a spoonful of said sugar when proven wrong. Until then, they are a mediocre team, and no one HAS to keep blindly saying it'll be ok. I applaud you for keeping positive, but what exactly are you trying to prove by saying "I hate the hate." Well, "Ok then."

Steel Warrior
12-09-2012, 08:59 PM
I think we need to get real, this team is nothing more than a 0.500 football team. Today showed it, while the rats and bungles were battling to the end we were blown out by a 4-8 team. They dominated on the lines the entire game game, even with a bunch of backups. We'll lose next week at Dallas, count on it.

Fire Arians
12-09-2012, 09:10 PM
I think we need to get real, this team is nothing more than a 0.500 football team. Today showed it, while the rats and bungles were battling to the end we were blown out by a 4-8 team. They dominated on the lines the entire game game, even with a bunch of backups. We'll lose next week at Dallas, count on it.

actually might have a good chance against dallas, since they're now above .500, we're 5-2 against teams with winning records :chuckle:

i'll take those odds over 2-4 vs shitty teams

Ricco Suavez
12-09-2012, 09:14 PM

And we have beaten both of those battling teams this year. So we dont have a chance but they do?

BTW both times on the road, just like the playoffs if we can make it.

desertsteel
12-09-2012, 09:16 PM
We'll lose next week at Dallas, count on it.Yeah? I'm gonna call you out when we don't. Count on it.

TheVet
12-10-2012, 03:43 AM
Of course we don't deserve the playoffs, but there aren't six true playoff caliber teams in the AFC this year. Some undeserving team needs to take the 6th seed, so it might as well be us. After that, who knows? We still have some of the necessary components to make a serious run. Remember the dirty truth about how shaky our last SB-winning team was!

At this point, it's hard to deny that one characteristic of Tomlin's teams is complacency and lack of effort vs. weak competition. He doesn't seem to know how to motivate the players for those situations. And Tomlin has other problems, as well - game planning, clock management - we all can see them. However, all coaches have flaws, and we could certainly do worse. I'd love to have an A coach, but Tomlin is good enough at B or B-, and the Rooneys certainly aren't firing him. So lets just hope he improves.

bornaSteelersfan
12-10-2012, 05:26 AM
In the last 3 weeks, we have seen the 2 weakest games the Steelers have played all season. This defeat made me even more sick than the 8 TO's to the Browns. DISCIPLINE (or the lack thereof) is why we lost this game.

Catch the ball!
Kick the ball out of bounds for a safety instead of TD for the opposition!
Stop making stupid penalties on ST's!
Wrap up and tackle!
Don't throw the ball to the other team!
Watch for a fake punt!

The Steelers looked like a bunch of unmotivated, and undisciplined underachievers. Right now they are unworthy of a playoff birth and unlikely to get one at this rate.

The_Joker
12-10-2012, 06:00 AM
If we can get Tebowed in Denver, what will Peyton Manning do to us?!

TURN ON THE FUCKING JETS STEELERS, WE AIN'T GONNA DO SHIT IF PLAY LIKE THIS!

steeltheone
12-10-2012, 07:09 AM
Of course we don't deserve the playoffs, but there aren't six true playoff caliber teams in the AFC this year. Some undeserving team needs to take the 6th seed, so it might as well be us. After that, who knows? We still have some of the necessary components to make a serious run. Remember the dirty truth about how shaky our last SB-winning team was!

At this point, it's hard to deny that one characteristic of Tomlin's teams is complacency and lack of effort vs. weak competition. He doesn't seem to know how to motivate the players for those situations. And Tomlin has other problems, as well - game planning, clock management - we all can see them. However, all coaches have flaws, and we could certainly do worse. I'd love to have an A coach, but Tomlin is good enough at B or B-, and the Rooneys certainly aren't firing him. So lets just hope he improves.

There is just no way this team is good enough to make a SB run on the road. It just isn't .

steelerschik
12-10-2012, 07:13 AM
I love this team with all my heart and have been a fan since I could open my eyes and nothing will change that. You can be a fan and still know this is not a good football team this year. Not even a little bit. Good teams know how to beat the Titans, Browns, etc., the Steelers can't and didn't. I know we're gonna have seasons like this, just praying it won't last as long as the 80s. Why anyone would want to see this year's team in the POs is beyond me. They're not a PO team. not even close. Everyone keeps saying they lost to bottom feeders, I'm not so sure the Steelers aren't bottom feeders this year. This criticism doesn't mean I love them any less and I look forward to next season, but this year isn't our year, and I'd rather them not make the POs at all than watch, get my hopes up only to be disappointed.

4xSBChamps
12-10-2012, 07:13 AM
Did we just expect to steamroll this game because big mighty ben is back and we made a statement game against the ravens?

... hang-over from the parade???

Terminator
12-10-2012, 07:48 AM
All I can say this morning:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pBi69gqVO0&feature=youtu.be

desertsteel
12-10-2012, 08:07 AM
Somebody point out the difference between our season and the Giants' season... other than the fact we beat them. I don't think anyone is counting the Giants out... And Coughlin seems to be as "bad" of a coach as Tomlin for that matter.

maddog78
12-10-2012, 08:40 AM
Blindly saying he should be fired is the dumbest thing anyone could say. The fact of the matter is, the Steelers aren't letting him go anywhere and talking about him being fired is ridiculous..

Agree, his resume to date does not warrant firing.

But, if they screw up this gimme of a wildcard berth and miss the playoffs? Next year there is going to be a cap purge. In 2014, if he's coming off two straight non-playoff years, he's coaching for his job.

steelfury02
12-10-2012, 08:44 AM
The Giants are 8-5, and in the division lead. They have a shot at hosting a playoff game. They won 2 out of the last 3, and the loss was only by 1 point on the road. We have lost 2 out of 3, and have been absolutely embarrassed in those two games. Absolutely undisciplined - there are a lot of tangibles and intangibles that contribute to that description:

1. Dropping balls
2. Penalties
3. Fumbling
4. And, the coaching in situational football has been suspect, and I am Tomlin supporter.
5. The quotes from Keisel are extremely troubling. If he is that vocal about their focus, or lack of, this team is in real trouble. You confident they are gonna go 3-0? They can't even protect Heinz right now. They are 7-6. They had momentum on their side and absolutely blew it. If they go 10-6, or 9-7 and get in, then great, they were able to make it in despite their issues. They will have to overcome some enormous hurdles. More than anything, some NEW LEADERS NEED TO EMERGE, and N_O_W. Someone has to help right this ship.

The injuries and shuffling of personnel doesn't help matters either. Giants are making some strides, while we are taking a half step back at the wrong time. We have 3 games to correct it - I hope we do. I just don't have faith that this team will be able to overcome a lot of deficiencies, and especially against superior teams.

For all of those that say they aren't scared of the Texans, or the Patriots - I want what you are smokin. You think this team has what it takes to win in their house? I applaud you. :applaudit:

Terminator
12-10-2012, 08:46 AM
Agree, his resume to date does not warrant firing.

But, if they screw up this gimme of a wildcard berth and miss the playoffs? Next year there is going to be a cap purge. In 2014, if he's coming off two straight non-playoff years, he's coaching for his job.

Doubtful. Look how long Rooney let Chuck Noll stay past his prime.

What someone did in the past holds too much weight compared to what they do in the present.

Darkstorm05
12-10-2012, 08:58 AM
Did everyone REALLY think we weren't going to lose another game? That was an unrealistic outlook, IMO. If you were looking at the last games on the schedule and thinking reasonably, you should have been looking to either lose this one, or Dallas.

I'd have preferred to drop the Dallas game and win this, but oh well. We're still on track for a WC spot, and that's pretty much all we ever had a realistic shot at anyway once we lost that first Ravens game. We do deserve a playoff slot if we take it. Seattle went into the playoffs a lot worse than we are, and proceeded to kick the living shit out of the Saints, who were being worshiped by everyone in the media. So, you want to spend the rest of the season sobbing under the covers, or suck it up and take care of business next weekend?

JeromeBetties63
12-10-2012, 09:24 AM

Take a hike. We are currently the sixth seed for the playoffs. Which means, we deserve the playoffs. Go cry somewhere else.

lipps83
12-10-2012, 09:25 AM
Did everyone REALLY think we weren't going to lose another game? That was an unrealistic outlook, IMO. If you were looking at the last games on the schedule and thinking reasonably, you should have been looking to either lose this one, or Dallas.

I'd have preferred to drop the Dallas game and win this, but oh well. We're still on track for a WC spot, and that's pretty much all we ever had a realistic shot at anyway once we lost that first Ravens game. We do deserve a playoff slot if we take it. Seattle went into the playoffs a lot worse than we are, and proceeded to kick the living shit out of the Saints, who were being worshiped by everyone in the media. So, you want to spend the rest of the season sobbing under the covers, or suck it up and take care of business next weekend?

I don't think anyone expected another loss to a bottomfeeder team. This team was looking poised to be a serious contender until another lame duck attempt against an inferior team.

Serious contenders normally steamroll inferior teams, albeit upsets do happen but not 4 or 5 times in one season. The Steelers historically (even before Tomlin) have rough games against the bottom feeders in the NFL.

Why?

JeromeBetties63
12-10-2012, 09:27 AM
Fluke. Fluke. Fluke. FLUKE. Fluke. Fluke.....it's the NFL, it happens. This team will make the playoffs and when they do, they have a chance to make a run. Week to week over reaction is nauseating.

steelerschik
12-10-2012, 09:41 AM
Fluke. Fluke. Fluke. FLUKE. Fluke. Fluke.....it's the NFL, it happens. This team will make the playoffs and when they do, they have a chance to make a run. Week to week over reaction is nauseating.

Saying this isn't a good team this year isn't an over reaction because they aren't. It's not a big deal, they're not going to be in the POs every year. You see them making the POs, I don't and I'm not so sure I would want to see them in the POs. It's not an over reaction, it's just the way it is.

JeromeBetties63
12-10-2012, 09:50 AM
Saying this isn't a good team this year isn't an over reaction because they aren't. It's not a big deal, they're not going to be in the POs every year. You see them making the POs, I don't and I'm not so sure I would want to see them in the POs. It's not an over reaction, it's just the way it is.

Look at this way. Take some of their best offensive performances, some of their best defensive performances...some of their overall good games...base your evaluation on that and what would you decide? My point is this, they have the players, the scheme, the chemistry and the ability to play some very high level games. There are enough players on this team who have achieved in the post season. Therefore, they have the potential to put a run together. Could they tank? Sure, it's possible, but not likely. The Steelers will make the playoffs. If they put it together and play up to their full potential, they have the ability to beat any team in the league.

TRH
12-10-2012, 09:50 AM
I don't think anyone expected another loss to a bottomfeeder team. This team was looking poised to be a serious contender until another lame duck attempt against an inferior team.

Serious contenders normally steamroll inferior teams, albeit upsets do happen but not 4 or 5 times in one season. The Steelers historically (even before Tomlin) have rough games against the bottom feeders in the NFL.

Why?

I think at this point everybody should be expecting a loss to each and every bottomfeeder team we play.
It happens almost every time. In fact, we've become very consistent at it.

desertsteel
12-10-2012, 09:57 AM
The Giants are 8-5, and in the division lead. They have a shot at hosting a playoff game. They won 2 out of the last 3, and the loss was only by 1 point on the road. We have lost 2 out of 3, and have been absolutely embarrassed in those two games.
Have you even watched the Giants play this year. They have looked absolutely horrible at times. Yeah they are 8-5 which is ONE game better than us. They lost the opener to the Cowboys. They got BLOWN OUT by both the 49ers and the Bengals. And by the way lost to the Steelers recently. There's not much difference between us and them. Btw, the Giants looked even worse last year in the regular season.

Whether the Steelers turn it around or not I can't say, but to conclude that they won't just because they don't look good has proven to be a false notion in today's NFL. We have the talent and just need momentum.

And for the person who said they hope we don't make the playoffs, that's retarded and I doubt that you are a true Steelers fan.

ebsteelers
12-10-2012, 10:06 AM
dont think chargers are as bad as their record should of beat bengals and chargers.

and btw we still control our destiny, win and get in.

nows the time to get hot

Steelerfreak58
12-10-2012, 10:11 AM
We should.... "UNLEASH HELL!" these next few weeks... if you will...

We have a mediocre team this year it sucks but it really is just that.

ebsteelers
12-10-2012, 10:12 AM
one more thing..

even if we lose this week.

we still control our destiny..

the bengals is the must win game.. and one other one.

9-7 gets in the playoffs if you beat the bengals.... we got the head to head on the jets

dont jump off the ledge just

steelerschik
12-10-2012, 10:12 AM
Look at this way. Take some of their best offensive performances, some of their best defensive performances...some of their overall good games...base your evaluation on that and what would you decide? My point is this, they have the players, the scheme, the chemistry and the ability to play some very high level games. There are enough players on this team who have achieved in the post season. Therefore, they have the potential to put a run together. Could they tank? Sure, it's possible, but not likely. The Steelers will make the playoffs. If they put it together and play up to their full potential, they have the ability to beat any team in the league.

They absolutely have the players without a doubt. That's what makes it all the more frustrating. I would love to take their best offensive games and combine them with their best defensive games, the problem is they're just not doing that. They haven't played to their full potential yet. I'm sure some of that has to do with the amount of injuries they've had this year, but we all know they're making too many stupid mistakes. I would love to see the Steelers make a run every single year, but realistically that just doesn't happen. And yeah they DO have the potential to beat any team in the league (did Carolina really beat Atlanta yesterday????), but I can't see them beating the likes of the Pats, Houston, Denver in Denver and I'd even add the Colts at this point. Just not this year, next year different story.

Mind you if it happens and you're correct, I'd be the first one to say YAY I was wrong, but I'm kinda not optimistic enough to say that just yet.

Stairway to 7
12-10-2012, 10:16 AM

It is just a mediocre team, that was the last chance saloon to show me they could beat up on a lesser opponent and they got beat up themselves.

The team is flat far too often, the defense keeps on keeping on but the offense is spotty at best.

Add to that mix a coach who clearly cannot manage a game, and brings no table.

ebsteelers
12-10-2012, 10:19 AM
look at the last few super bowl wins.

all looked like dog poop till the last few games..

got in and made magic happen..

Pitt can do it, gotta BELIEVE

steelfury02
12-10-2012, 10:22 AM
Have you even watched the Giants play this year. They have looked absolutely horrible at times. Yeah they are 8-5 which is ONE game better than us. They lost the opener to the Cowboys. They got BLOWN OUT by both the 49ers and the Bengals. And by the way lost to the Steelers recently. There's not much difference between us and them. Btw, the Giants looked even worse last year in the regular season.

Whether the Steelers turn it around or not I can't say, but to conclude that they won't just because they don't look good has proven to be a false notion in today's NFL. We have the talent and just need momentum.

And for the person who said they hope we don't make the playoffs, that's retarded and I doubt that you are a true Steelers fan.

Not that it should matter, but a third of the guys I watch football with (family) are from Jersey/NYC and are huge Giants fans, the other third being Ravens fans, and then my gang. They don't look any more horrible than the Steelers. In a game of almosts and inches, 1 game is huge. I'm sure a lot of the optimists would argue that all it takes is 1 game for the Steelers to turn it around, or can attribute a huge win to 1 play. With only 16 games, 1 game I'd say is pretty big. We beat them, so what? We beat the Ravens, so what? What does that mean exactly other than we are capable of pulling out a win. I think that both of those wins have been negated by some pretty bad losses. Injuries aside, every time this version of the Steelers get a big win, they take a step back. I'm still holding out hope, but I can't keep hoping for something that just isn't there (or at least proven not to be there, so far) If they correct all the mistakes, great - they also have to get up for these games, which is apparently a problem for them.

Sorry, I just don't see the positives after they had every reason to be able to take a step in the right direction after pulling a W out of their ass in Bmore. 2 god-awful losses in 3 weeks. I hope for 3 wins. I also hope that in those 3 wins I see some changes in their energy and discipline. A win is a win, but we all know what an eye test is - and last year's 12-4 Steelers were frauds, much like this year's Ravens.

Stairway to 7
12-10-2012, 10:50 AM
This team has thrown in far too many shitty performances to take seriously as a SB contender.

How many times have they played a complete game of good football on all 3 teams for a whole game?

There have been less real good performances than clunkers like last night.

We have lost games to: Cleveland, The Titans, Oakland, and now SD and we looked like shit against KC too.

JeromeBetties63
12-10-2012, 10:54 AM
look at the last few super bowl wins.

all looked like dog poop till the last few games..

got in and made magic happen..

Pitt can do it, gotta BELIEVE

^This!^:tt04::tt::tt02::tt03:

steelerschik
12-10-2012, 11:01 AM

If you were referring to me, you can doubt that all you want. I've been watching this team since the early 1970s and have season tickets and never missed a game until I handed my ticket over to my 15-year-old son. I've stayed true to this team through thick and thin and the 80s, and it's no different this time. This isn't the first time I haven't wanted to see them in the POs and it won't be the last. Just because someone doesn't share your opinion/insight or whatever doesn't make them retarded. Grow up.

JeromeBetties63
12-10-2012, 11:08 AM
If you were referring to me, you can doubt that all you want. I've been watching this team since the early 1970s and have season tickets and never missed a game until I handed my ticket over to my 15-year-old son. I've stayed true to this team through thick and thin and the 80s, and it's no different this time. This isn't the first time I haven't wanted to see them in the POs and it won't be the last. Just because someone doesn't share your opinion/insight or whatever doesn't make them retarded. Grow up.

Why would you not want your team to make the Play Offs? If you make the dance, you can win it all....especially a team like the Steelers. If you are one of 12 out of 32 to get into the post season, you have a shot. Plus, the young guys get some playoff experience which they can put to use in the future. This whole, "I don't want to make the playoffs" is not something that makes sense to me. Maybe if you were a Browns or Rams fan, you wouldn't take a trip to the tournament so lightly. :banging:

JeromeBetties63
12-10-2012, 11:10 AM

Mediocre that gets hot can win the SB in the current NFL. Lets just get in baby....whoo hoooo....cmon, dude, get your towel out: :tt02:

steelerschik
12-10-2012, 11:13 AM
Why would you not want your team to make the Play Offs? If you make the dance, you can win it all....especially a team like the Steelers. If you are one of 12 out of 32 to get into the post season, you have a shot. Plus, the young guys get some playoff experience which they can put to use in the future. This whole, "I don't want to make the playoffs" is not something that makes sense to me. Maybe if you were a Browns or Rams fan, you wouldn't take a trip to the tournament so lightly. :banging:

Again I'll say this team has the talent, I haven't seen anything that makes me think this team this year stands a chance in the POs, at all. The "if you make the dance...." quote is true if there are signs of a good team. Remember last year's POs? I feel the same way about this year's. Again if someone doesn't share your optimism, I'm sorry, but I'm realistic about this team. Just I have (or anyone else for that matter) has a different outlook on that doesn't make them any less of a fan, just one who doesn't want to get there to be let down...again. Whether or not this is a PO team doesn't matter, they're not playing like one.

JeromeBetties63
12-10-2012, 11:24 AM
Again I'll say this team has the talent, I haven't seen anything that makes me think this team this year stands a chance in the POs, at all. The "if you make the dance...." quote is true if there are signs of a good team. Remember last year's POs? I feel the same way about this year's. Again if someone doesn't share your optimism, I'm sorry, but I'm realistic about this team. Just I have (or anyone else for that matter) has a different outlook on that doesn't make them any less of a fan, just one who doesn't want to get there to be let down...again. Whether or not this is a PO team doesn't matter, they're not playing like one.

Last year we limped into the playoffs with a lot of injuries. We seem to be getting healthy as we head toward the post season. (Especially if we get Ike back.) Was Ben's QB rating this high last year? Was the defense playing as well as this D has most of the season? There are signs that this is a better team than we fielded at the end of last season. I know you are not going to change your mind, but I leave you with these two things:

1. What do we gain by not making the playoffs? How does this really help our team in any way? A couple spots higher in the draft? Not enough to make it worth it to miss the Playoffs.

2. If they make the playoffs...then they are a playoff team. It's as simple as that. Only 6 AFC teams get in...six. If they are one of them, then they deserve to be there.

steelerschik
12-10-2012, 11:36 AM
Last year we limped into the playoffs with a lot of injuries. We seem to be getting healthy as we head toward the post season. (Especially if we get Ike back.) Was Ben's QB rating this high last year? Was the defense playing as well as this D has most of the season? There are signs that this is a better team than we fielded at the end of last season. I know you are not going to change your mind, but I leave you with these two things:

1. What do we gain by not making the playoffs? How does this really help our team in any way? A couple spots higher in the draft? Not enough to make it worth it to miss the Playoffs.

2. If they make the playoffs...then they are a playoff team. It's as simple as that. Only 6 AFC teams get in...six. If they are one of them, then they deserve to be there.

No, you're right, I won't change my mind. By not getting there hopefully will spark a fire in this team they don't have or seem to have lost. They went from going to a SB and winning to losing a SB to one and done in the POs to possibly not making it at all. This downward trend isn't something I want to see continue. Something obviously needs addressed. And yes some higher draft picks would be nice, not that they'll make a difference right away, but there are positions on this team that need addressed and even a draft pick a few picks higher up could help.

If they make the POs, yes they're a PO team, but in the AFC, that's not saying much. I never said they don't deserve to be there, I said I'd rather them not get there playing the ball that they're playing than to go one and done again. It's a personal heartbreak I'd rather not endure again. Again, I'm seeing them play bad, sloppy ball, not "getting hot in December" ball like they should be.

Lady Steel
12-10-2012, 11:49 AM
I want the Steelers in the playoffs. If they get there, will they disappoint me? Maybe. But what if they win? It's all a part of being a fan. Ya gotta take the bad with the good.

desertsteel
12-10-2012, 12:39 PM

Yeah I was talking to you and being a "fan" of a team and not wanting them to make the playoffs is pretty stupid in the books of most people.

Did it make you feel better for them to go 12-4 last year and get ousted in the first round?

SteelersCanada
12-10-2012, 12:53 PM
Having a first round bye doesn't mean a whole lot anymore to be completely honest with you. Sure, it helps heal up injured guys but the guys we have injured right now aren't coming back. Colon went down and he's probably done for the season. Gilbert's in IR. Ben showed yesterday that he's capable of making plays, but just needed a week to get back into rhythm. Did they play absolute terrible football yesterday? No question - but it's understandable. That Chargers defense isn't a slouch, especially that front 7.

Regarding playoffs, we'll get there. We're going to win out and get to 10-6 - I'm very confident in saying so. When we get to the playoffs we play our best football and there's definitely reason for optimism for this team and what they're capable of. Saying we don't deserve to get into the playoffs because we lost to bad teams is ridiculous - if we're there, we're there.

There's also a lot of "what if we play Denver with Peyton!?" and "I'm scared of Houston with Matt Schaub!" and it's laughable. If you're scared of Houston, you're doing something wrong. The Texans shouldn't scare anyone. Why? Matt Schaub is their starting quarterback. They don't have an "elite" defense - they have an elite front 7 and a terrible, terrible secondary. The Packers showed everyone - in primetime - that if you make Schaub throw to win, the Texans lose. He's an average quarterback with a truly outstanding supporting cast. Shut down Foster and make Schaub throw and the Texans lose. Obviously shutting down Foster is easier said than done, but that should be our number one goal if we do in fact have to play Houston.

Regarding Denver with Manning - two things. One, he's 9-10 in the postseason and generally folds when the games truly matter. Two, comparing our loss last year to Tebow and (potentially) Manning this year is absurd. We had a special gameplan for Timmy and it didn't work effectively. We stuffed the box and we made him beat us with his arm, which he was unfortunately able to do. If you're sitting there and telling me with a straight face we'd go into Denver with the same gameplan, you don't know football. Plain and simple.

The amount of negativity is saddening. We're all Steelers diehards here and we're acting like a bunch of tweenie girls. The "we fucking suck! we don't deserve the playoffs! fire Tomlin!" is such a ridiculous overreaction to losing it's almost comical. How about we take a collective breath and step back and look at this thing objectively. With our defense keeping us in games for the most part, it'll only be a matter of time before this team returns to the one we saw beat the Giants. Ben just needed a week to get back to playing like Roethlisberger and I think next week, you'll see Ben just being Ben.

This team is still great, guys. A couple bad games here and there isn't going to change it. Remember, this is the same team we were all excited about after going into the Meadowlands and cleaning up the Giants and beating the Ravens in Baltimore. We just need our offense to get back into rhythm and clicking once again. Over the next three games, you'll see why the Steelers are still the class of the AFC.

steelerschik
12-10-2012, 01:11 PM
Yeah I was talking to you and being a "fan" of a team and not wanting them to make the playoffs is pretty stupid in the books of most people.

Did it make you feel better for them to go 12-4 last year and get ousted in the first round?

Considering I don't know you from any other person on the planet, your opinion is yours and doesn't much matter to me. To question someone's fanhood based on a personal feeling is what's stupid. This is a forum, personal feelings are allowed to be expressed. Don't share mine, oh well, don't care.

lasvegasguy
12-10-2012, 01:22 PM
Right now, Ben and Co. have to look at this is as a kind of a practice. Which is not what they (or the fans) were hoping for. This last quarter, they were playing for pride and pride only. Two positives have come out this (even if they no longer matter in terms of winning):

That last punt (which would have ordinarily been awesome) was the longest punt in Steelers since the 40's.

Mike Wallace is finally starting to get his mojo back.

Again, it's not enough. They were playing a team that has nothing left to play for aside from playing for Norv, and to play the part of spoiler for teams like the Steelers. Today, the Chargers managed to do both.

If mojo means "mop up yards and TD's when the defense is playing prevent" then yes his mojo is back.

lasvegasguy
12-10-2012, 01:29 PM

Really this your defense of Tomlin? We have to hope other teams lose? Fuck that! Our coach has been beat by 3 teams run by guys who will be coordinators next year. (Raiders, Browns and Chargers). And he needed a miracle to get past another (Chiefs). Tomlin is so out of his league it's not even funny. If it wasn't for the Rooney Rule his ass would probably be gone. I'm at the point I would rather see Rex Ryan on our sidelines instead of this ass clown and that is just fucked up.

ZoneBlitzer
12-10-2012, 01:38 PM
I don't see them making the playoffs. The offense has been very inconsistent and at times terrible. The short passing game and ball control style of play has disappeared. It's near the end of the year and they still don't have a running game to rely on. They also can't stop shooting themselves in the foot. Turnovers plague this team. They have to have a complete 180 and correct all their myriad of issues at once. The only way I can see them getting out of this is if they play with emotion. They aren't good enough to play the game straight up. They have to play with emotion and a sense of urgency. Unfortunate for them is that they have a mannequin for a coach who stands stone faced refusing to make adjustments.

steelfury02
12-10-2012, 01:41 PM
Steelers Canada, I've butted heads with you a couple of times now, especially over the bright spots and cause for optimism with this team - I still can't agree with you, however, I will take a step back and explain how I think the Steelers can become a contender over the next 3 weeks. Some are pretty obvious, but still - are a cause for concern with this team and need to be rectified, as of like a million years ago (even when we beat the Giants)

1. At all costs, keep the other team's O off the field. Focus on moving the chains. Also - with the running game, time to start running some off-balance run plays and counters. Running to the outside and passing to the flat is a real possibility I think. They need to get back to taking what the D gives them. Teams know we can't run consistently, yet, we are trying to keep running guys right into a shit pile. Now would be a real nice time to start pulling out some other ideas - cause, whaddya got to lose with this run game. With only 3 games left, now is the time to start pulling out the stops.

2. Whoever is on Ike's side, needs all the help they can get. This will become the D's undoing - I'm really convinced of that. It only took 1 week for the Chargers to identify the glaring weakness. Imagine all the tape that will pile up on this weakness over the next month. Also, on D - if you are going to go down, go down swinging. I'm not for Blitzburgh 2.0 - but they have to be able to wreak more havoc than this. The D is showing predictability again IMO. This will be even more of a problem now that Ike is out. How are we going to create pressure when there is a glaring issue on that side that will require more attention? We need the line to start blowing people off the ball. They got man handled in 2 of the last 3 games.

3. HELP OUT YOUR QB. The wide receivers are absolutely pitiful right now. That includes every last one of them. Outside of Miller, who do you trust to be a difference maker for this offense? I'm not seeing anyone.

desertsteel
12-10-2012, 02:03 PM
Considering I don't know you from any other person on the planet, your opinion is yours and doesn't much matter to me. To question someone's fanhood based on a personal feeling is what's stupid. This is a forum, personal feelings are allowed to be expressed. Don't share mine, oh well, don't care.
Exactly. That's why I share my feelings. Don't be so thin skinned. Especially since you can dole out the criticism.

The only way to win the super bowl is to make the playoffs. Recent history has proven that 9-7 teams can win the super bowl. I will celebrate it if it happens and I guess people like you will anguish that we didn't do it after going 14-2. So be it.

Terminator
12-10-2012, 02:07 PM
This team is still great, guys.

When you consistently lose to bad teams, you are not great.

You are bad. And you should feel bad.

desertsteel
12-10-2012, 02:11 PM
When you consistently lose to bad teams, you are not great.

You are bad. And you should feel bad.

The margin between good and bad in the NFL is a week-to-week proposition.

steelerschik
12-10-2012, 02:23 PM
Exactly. That's why I share my feelings. Don't be so thin skinned. Especially since you can dole out the criticism.

The only way to win the super bowl is to make the playoffs. Recent history has proven that 9-7 teams can win the super bowl. I will celebrate it if it happens and I guess people like you will anguish that we didn't do it after going 14-2. So be it.

LOL, I don't know where I was thin skinned. Everyone on here is nothing more than a faceless keyboard, I have no personal feelings either which way. And where was I "doling" out any criticism? You called me a nonfan. I simply stated you don't know me and you're entitled to your opinion, but it means nothing to me. Where is that criticism? It's just the truth. Like I said before, I've been watching this team since I can remember, I don't need anyone telling me what kind of fan I am. I do not think this is a good team this year. This team has not shown me any reason to think otherwise. I'd rather not be humiliated this year, i.e. last year's Tebow-fest and I've seen nothing from this team this year to say anything better will happen. I'm not on a ledge and It's not the end of the world, I know this team enough to know while they may be down this year, they're never down for long. Nothing wrong in admitting this ain't their year.

Christ people on this board want to hang someone for not breaking out the pom-poms or sharing the same enthusiasm for the POs.

pete74
12-10-2012, 02:40 PM
As long as we can win out we will have a healthy team for the playoffs and can definitely go the entire way. We played a bad game, so what. It sucks but lets just look forward

desertsteel
12-10-2012, 02:55 PM
LOL, I don't know where I was thin skinned. Everyone on here is nothing more than a faceless keyboard, I have no personal feelings either which way. And where was I "doling" out any criticism? You called me a nonfan. I simply stated you don't know me and you're entitled to your opinion, but it means nothing to me. Where is that criticism? It's just the truth. Like I said before, I've been watching this team since I can remember, I don't need anyone telling me what kind of fan I am. I do not think this is a good team this year. This team has not shown me any reason to think otherwise. I'd rather not be humiliated this year, i.e. last year's Tebow-fest and I've seen nothing from this team this year to say anything better will happen. I'm not on a ledge and It's not the end of the world, I know this team enough to know while they may be down this year, they're never down for long. Nothing wrong in admitting this ain't their year.

Christ people on this board want to hang someone for not breaking out the pom-poms or sharing the same enthusiasm for the POs.

If you are worried about being humiliated when we go to the playoffs, simple fix: don't watch. You said that you didn't care about my comments so quit responding to them. I have no pom poms. They sucked yesterday, but they could be great next Sunday. And recent history has proven, multiple times, that teams with average regular season records can get hot and win it all.

steelerschik
12-10-2012, 03:01 PM
If you are worried about being humiliated when we go to the playoffs, simple fix: don't watch. You said that you didn't care about my comments so quit responding to them. I have no pom poms. They sucked yesterday, but they could be great next Sunday. And recent history has proven, multiple times, that teams with average regular season records can get hot and win it all.

Mmmm-k, agree to disagree.

AndyWitmyer
12-10-2012, 03:07 PM
Doubtful. Look how long Rooney let Chuck Noll stay past his prime.

What someone did in the past holds too much weight compared to what they do in the present.

Not to mention Cowher...it took him how long to win a Super Bowl? He had how many shitty seasons as coach? Yet it seems like everyone around here thinks he was just terrific, every single game...every single year. Just as Noll and Cowher did before him, Tomlin will experience some mediocre-to-shitty seasons. It's going to happen folks - I'm not sure where this delusional "off-with-his-head" mentality comes from - it's really not the Steelers way, and all of us should know that by now.

lasvegasguy
12-10-2012, 03:16 PM
Not to mention Cowher...it took him how long to win a Super Bowl? He had how many shitty seasons as coach? Yet it seems like everyone around here thinks he was just terrific, every single game...every single year. Just as Noll and Cowher did before him, Tomlin will experience some mediocre-to-shitty seasons. It's going to happen folks - I'm not sure where this delusional "off-with-his-head" mentality comes from - it's really not the Steelers way, and all of us should know that by now.

3 in 15 years and he never had less than 6 wins in those 3 losing seasons. And that is with the likes of Kordell Stewart, Mike Tomczak, Kent Graham, Tommy Maddox leading the way. That in itself is pretty remarkable. You must have become a fan in 2007.

steelerchad
12-10-2012, 03:16 PM
Crazy as it is, 2 out of 3 with 1 of the wins against Cincy and we're in. If we lose to Cincy and win the other 2, Cincy would need to lose the last game to the Ravens and we'd be in.

As crazy as it sounds there are also a lot of ways we get in at 8-8 if we beat Cincy.

lasvegasguy
12-10-2012, 03:24 PM
Crazy as it is, 2 out of 3 with 1 of the wins against Cincy and we're in. If we lose to Cincy and win the other 2, Cincy would need to lose the last game to the Ravens and we'd be in.

As crazy as it sounds there are also a lot of ways we get in at 8-8 if we beat Cincy.

Since neither of us are a threat to the pathetic Ravens winning the North. They will be pretty much the 4th seed come hell or high water going into the last week of the season. I could see Harbaugh playing absolutely nobody and giving the Bengals the 6th seed over the Steelers. No way does he want us anywhere near the playoffs especially after getting the cold shoulder from Tomlin.

steelfury02
12-10-2012, 03:28 PM
I dunno - not sure I would be scared of the Steelers right now.

ChampsOrBust
12-10-2012, 03:43 PM
I figure once Ben got back into shaking all the rust off, our offense would do things again. the o-line wouldn't let ben do anything though. it's because we praise them all week last week for what they did to baltimore and kept batch up. I believe they thought this would be an easy one i think ben and ryan clark were the only one's with there head's in the whole game. Wallace gets half a game IMO after he got booed he stepped it up. I still believe we can do damage if we get in the playoffs. As long as we don't get The broncos D. Thomas is the steeler killer. he has torched us twice. other than them i like our chances.

steelerchad
12-10-2012, 04:37 PM
3 in 15 years and he never had less than 6 wins in those 3 losing seasons. And that is with the likes of Kordell Stewart, Mike Tomczak, Kent Graham, Tommy Maddox leading the way. That in itself is pretty remarkable. You must have become a fan in 2007.

Well. Cowher had 3 losing seasons and 1 8-8 year. 2 of those losing seasons were in years 7 and 8, followed by a 9-7 season and missing the playoffs for the 3rd straight year. This is Tomlin's 6th year and I don't see a losing season here. Comparing the 2 so far they are very similar. Here's a little breakdown.

Through first 6 seasons.

regular season
Cowher 64-32 .667%
Tomlin 62-31 .667%

post season
Cowher 5-6 in 6 seasons. 1 SB appearance.
Tomlin 5-3 in 5 season. TBD in 2012. 2 SB appearances. 1 SB win

Total career for Cowher.
149-90-1 .621% regular season
8-9 playoffs with 1 SB win and another appearance.

Many will say he did it with no QB, but he had O'Donnell for the first 4 years and Ben for the last 3. The middle was ugly, but his starters were either Kordell, Tomczak, or Maddox. He didn't win the big one until Ben.
If Tomlin keeps on his current pace, he will surpass Cowher's totals and the Steelers are the kind of organization that will have the patience to do it.

BrandonCarr39
12-10-2012, 05:11 PM

Well, the Falcons looked horrible against a bad, injury-riddled Carolina team yesterday.

Honestly, the Texans don't impress me much either.

Just wait until how all the games play out week to week - remember last year when we all thought the Giants were finished after they got swept by the lowly Redskins in week 15.

AndyWitmyer
12-10-2012, 09:10 PM
You must have become a fan in 2007.

:toofunny:

Riiiiiight. That's a good one. *high five*