PDA

View Full Version : Please come off the ledge

ETL
12-09-2012, 03:52 PM
Fellow Steeler fans, please hear me out.

Today's game sucked. We played poorly. We coached poorly and we had plays (incomplete pass / fumble going for a TD) that went against out way and yes, you are absolutely correct to be pissed about what happened today.

But don't lose hope. Here's why:

1. We control our own destiny. We win and we're in. The chargers or jets or dolphins can't say that. And once we're in the playoffs, it's a new game

2. We have a good defense. Please just don't use the last game to base your opinion on this but look at the whole season body of work. I would argue that our defense is better than all other defenses in the AFC other than Houston. And that means we have a chance in the playoffs

3. Ben is back. He was rusty today but his legs looked fresh. We could have lost him for the season with that injury but his arm strength looked good. Having him back means that we have a chance with any team

4. Cincy lost. Believe it or not - EVEN IF WE LOSE NEXT WEEK AGAINST THE COWBOYS - we can still make the playoffs if we beat the Bengals at home the following week and Browns the week after. And once we are in - its a new ball game.

Think of it this way. If I were an AFC division champ, the last team I would want to play is a Steeler team that has nothing to lose and gets no respect.

Have hope. I think we will be rewarded.

Lady Steel
12-09-2012, 03:54 PM
I never lose hope, my Steelers brother. :tt:

Bayz101
12-09-2012, 03:54 PM
Nice post. THESE are the threads I don't mind keeping. No, not because they're positive, but because it's well-written, well thought out and intelligent. Thanks ETL.

SteeleReign
12-09-2012, 04:06 PM
Totally agree. I always old out hope. I just HOPE that the team is done with playing down to the opponent.

OX1947
12-09-2012, 04:14 PM
I've lost Hope. Damn dog ran out after I screamed after that last TD the chargers scored.

ETL
12-09-2012, 04:15 PM
Totally agree. I always old out hope. I just HOPE that the team is done with playing down to the opponent.

I think you've been a fan long enough to know that we rarely blow out a team - especially a "bad" team. Yes, we seem to play down to our opponents and we get burned.

I have never played professional football so I don't know what it's like week in and week out mentally. It seems that when we get a chip on our shoulder we play well and when we are expected to win, we get lazy and expect other players to make plays.

I suspect a big emotional let down happened today after the big emotional win last week and players on a high with Ben returning.

I actually expect us to beat the Cowboys solidly next week

Fire Arians
and with the 19th pick in the 2013 nfl draft, the steelers pick.....

Rowland2110
And it was completely predictable . Any and all steeler fans should have seen it coming.

ETL
12-09-2012, 04:16 PM
I've lost Hope. Damn dog ran out after I screamed after that last TD the chargers scored.

Your poor dog.

The_Joker
12-09-2012, 04:17 PM

Get out. I'm serious, get the hell out.

ETL
12-09-2012, 04:18 PM
and with the 19th pick in the 2013 nfl draft, the steelers pick.....

I would go DL. Getting spence and decastro back is like having 2 free draft picks

SteeleReign
12-09-2012, 04:19 PM
I think you've been a fan long enough to know that we rarely blow out a team - especially a "bad" team. Yes, we seem to play down to our opponents and we get burned.

I have never played professional football so I don't know what it's like week in and week out mentally. It seems that when we get a chip on our shoulder we play well and when we are expected to win, we get lazy and expect other players to make plays.

I suspect a big emotional let down happened today after the big emotional win last week and players on a high with Ben returning.

I actually expect us to beat the Cowboys solidly next week

I hear what you're saying. I guess I just hate making concessions to that type of play or attitude. Just because we've rarely been a team that blows out opponents doesn't mean we should be okay with lackluster play, and piss-poor preparation.

But, I will be in front of my TV with my jersey on and rooting for the boys next week as usual. :tt04:

SteeleReign
12-09-2012, 04:20 PM
I would go DL. Getting spence and decastro back is like having 2 free draft picks

I'd go OLB or DB.

Lady Steel
12-09-2012, 04:20 PM

If it's name is Tico, let it goooo. :chuckle:

Seriously, stop traumatizing your dog. :wink: I hope it comes home soon. :hug:

Terminator
12-09-2012, 04:23 PM
Just because you pride yourself some Steelers fan that "never gives up hope", a lot of us have a right to be pissed off.

Pittsburgh looked like dogshit today against a team that literally has nothing to play for. Complete pathetic excuse for a game.

If we by some miracle make the playoffs, we are going to get decimated by the like of Denver, Houston, or New England.

ETL
12-09-2012, 04:24 PM
I hear what you're saying. I guess I just hate making concessions to that type of play or attitude. Just because we've rarely been a team that blows out opponents doesn't mean we should be okay with lackluster play, and piss-poor preparation.

But, I will be in front of my TV with my jersey on and rooting for the boys next week as usual. :tt04:

I remember a defensive coach (Tim ?) used to make up stories to get his players fired up before the game. ("Did you know that Houshmanzedah called your mom a *****")

Again I don't know what it takes to get up for a game but must be a lot

Steel_Bus_24
12-09-2012, 04:24 PM
https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ8QhxN0G7MwGHNwDZT9Z3qsaLvyZx39 pH49Ql-ze_6EsaRsb6S

mWyB447vNjg

WAKE THE F*** UP STEELERS....

Its so freaking hard for me to see them squandering opportunities

I mean why the hell fight so hard last week if you don't want to go all the way

ETL
12-09-2012, 04:31 PM
Just because you pride yourself some Steelers fan that "never gives up hope", a lot of us have a right to be pissed off.

Pittsburgh looked like dogshit today against a team that literally has nothing to play for. Complete pathetic excuse for a game.

If we by some miracle make the playoffs, we are going to get decimated by the like of Denver, Houston, or New England.

I agree that you have the right to be pissed off. Heck I'm pissed as today was a great opportunity lost to make ground on he ravens and put distance on the bengals.

But I disagree with your "decimation" expectation. If I were you and truly believe is what you said, I would stop watching football for he rest of the season.

But you will continue to watch because even if you deny it, you watch because you have hope. Still you have every right to be upset today

( and I don't take pride in being just a blind faith-ed fan - I truly believe that we will do well if we make the playoffs)

SteeleReign
12-09-2012, 04:32 PM
I remember a defensive coach (Tim ?) used to make up stories to get his players fired up before the game. ("Did you know that Houshmanzedah called your mom a *****")

Again I don't know what it takes to get up for a game but must be a lot

Whatever it takes to fire up the troops I guess.

jim brown
12-09-2012, 04:32 PM
I don't say much, but , that post was well written and recieved!!!!! tku Jim

SteelersCanada
12-09-2012, 04:33 PM
Mikey had 7 catches for 112 yards and 2 touchdowns and people are still bitching at him. He had a drop, and it was a big one, but it was a poorly placed ball. Should he have had it? Absolutely. But, if it was placed in front of him in a way that he could run underneath it and make a play, it would have been a touchdown. However, he made up for this with two touchdown grabs and a couple of key third down catches. Say what you want, but Wallace had a great game today. One drop shouldn't define a game, but people are looking to scapegoat the shit out of Mike and this is the result.

Once again, however, people are conveniently leaving out the fact that Dwyer played like absolute shit and had one more rush yard than Roethlisberger did. He's not the answer at running back and we need to acquire one via free agency, draft or trade for one. He's not cutting it and we should have the door open for him out of Pittsburgh at the end of the season.

On top of that, Brown had more drops than Wallace. The guy that everyone else loves on this board, had more drops and more key plays lost than Wallace did. He dropped the long ball when being defended by Weddle. He dropped another one coming over the middle. He couldn't get two feet in bounds at the end of the game and it resulted in 2nd-and-20. Brown didn't have a good game, but Wallace had a good enough one to forget about all of that.

The entire team, top to bottom, played like absolute shit. Everyone (save for Mike). However, the good news is this doesn't happen often. When was the last time Troy and James took penalties consecutively? Everything we saw out there can be and will be fixed against Dallas. We're jumping off a ledge for no reason, and it's a little ridiculous.

I understand frustration in losing to bad teams. I get it. Saying stupid fucking things like 'sit Ben! fire Tomlin! this team sucks!' gets us nowhere. We need to take a collective breath and relax - we still control our own destiny. Two of the remaining three games are at Heinz Field and we (typically) don't lose those.

Relax, Steeler Nation. We're still in good shape, especially with the Ravens playing the Broncos and Giants over the next two weeks. We could potentially be in first place in the AFC North in two weeks time and that's something we all have to think about. There's reason for optimism and yet we're all acting like a bunch of 12 year old bi-polar girls.

btaylor179
12-09-2012, 04:36 PM
yep exactley.......any fan knows we play down to our competition

SteeleReign
12-09-2012, 04:38 PM
Mikey had 7 catches for 112 yards and 2 touchdowns and people are still bitching at him. He had a drop, and it was a big one, but it was a poorly placed ball. Should he have had it? Absolutely. But, if it was placed in front of him in a way that he could run underneath it and make a play, it would have been a touchdown. However, he made up for this with two touchdown grabs and a couple of key third down catches. Say what you want, but Wallace had a great game today. One drop shouldn't define a game, but people are looking to scapegoat the shit out of Mike and this is the result.

Once again, however, people are conveniently leaving out the fact that Dwyer played like absolute shit and had one more rush yard than Roethlisberger did. He's not the answer at running back and we need to acquire one via free agency, draft or trade for one. He's not cutting it and we should have the door open for him out of Pittsburgh at the end of the season.

On top of that, Brown had more drops than Wallace. The guy that everyone else loves on this board, had more drops and more key plays lost than Wallace did. He dropped the long ball when being defended by Weddle. He dropped another one coming over the middle. He couldn't get two feet in bounds at the end of the game and it resulted in 2nd-and-20. Brown didn't have a good game, but Wallace had a good enough one to forget about all of that.

The entire team, top to bottom, played like absolute shit. Everyone (save for Mike). However, the good news is this doesn't happen often. When was the last time Troy and James took penalties consecutively? Everything we saw out there can be and will be fixed against Dallas. We're jumping off a ledge for no reason, and it's a little ridiculous.

I understand frustration in losing to bad teams. I get it. Saying stupid fucking things like 'sit Ben! fire Tomlin! this team sucks!' gets us nowhere. We need to take a collective breath and relax - we still control our own destiny. Two of the remaining three games are at Heinz Field and we (typically) don't lose those.

Relax, Steeler Nation. We're still in good shape, especially with the Ravens playing the Broncos and Giants over the next two weeks. We could potentially be in first place in the AFC North in two weeks time and that's something we all have to think about. There's reason for optimism and yet we're all acting like a bunch of 12 year old bi-polar girls.

Didn't have time to read the book, but I read the last line.

I have to disagree - the Steelers are the one's playing like a bunch of 12 year old bi-polar girls. They can't decide who they are or for what they are playing.

ETL
12-09-2012, 04:42 PM

I have to disagree - the Steelers are the one's playing like a bunch of 12 year old bi-polar girls. They can't decide who they are or for what they are playing.

But this happens to every team. The falcons lost today to the panthers and the bucs to the eagles.

Name a team that has thorough out the years (not just this one season you narrow minded pea brain) that had not played "bi-polar"

Terminator
12-09-2012, 04:43 PM

Riddle me this:

We make the playoffs. We have to play Denver, Houston, or New England.

What happens then? We magically become awesome? :rofl::sofunny::toofunny:

Lady Steel
12-09-2012, 04:45 PM
Riddle me this:

Yes! :thumbsup:

Steel_Bus_24
12-09-2012, 04:45 PM
But this happens to every team. The falcons lost today to the panthers and the bucs to the eagles.

Name a team that has thorough out the years (not just this one season you narrow minded pea brain) that had not played "bi-polar"

Raiders, Titans,Browns, Chargers

No way should we lose to all 4.......1 or 2 maybe.....but all fffing 4 means theres a problem there that they have to correct....

SteeleReign
12-09-2012, 04:47 PM

Give me a break. I could give a shit about the Bucs or the Falcons. But, if you want to talk Falcons - they are 11-2 and should have home field throughout the playoffs. Why? Because they had ONE shitty loss. We've had FOUR.

And FUCK YOU, by the way, for the personal cheap shot. Asshole.

SteeleReign
12-09-2012, 04:48 PM
Riddle me this:

Apparently. According to our resident Pollyanna.

Danny136200
12-09-2012, 04:48 PM

Today's game sucked. We played poorly. We coached poorly and we had plays (incomplete pass / fumble going for a TD) that went against out way and yes, you are absolutely correct to be pissed about what happened today.

1. We control our own destiny. We win and we're in. The chargers or jets or dolphins can't say that. And once we're in the playoffs, it's a new game

2. We have a good defense. Please just don't use the last game to base your opinion on this but look at the whole season body of work. I would argue that our defense is better than all other defenses in the AFC other than Houston. And that means we have a chance in the playoffs

3. Ben is back. He was rusty today but his legs looked fresh. We could have lost him for the season with that injury but his arm strength looked good. Having him back means that we have a chance with any team

4. Cincy lost. Believe it or not - EVEN IF WE LOSE NEXT WEEK AGAINST THE COWBOYS - we can still make the playoffs if we beat the Bengals at home the following week and Browns the week after. And once we are in - its a new ball game.

Think of it this way. If I were an AFC division champ, the last team I would want to play is a Steeler team that has nothing to lose and gets no respect.

This while message board is going to be on suicide watch.

steelax04
12-09-2012, 04:56 PM

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-Ak9D32f0zMs/UE_UJhgltqI/AAAAAAAABSU/yWXUQUcaNoM/s1600/2307890-anchorman-well-that-escalated-quickly_super.jpg

ETL
12-09-2012, 05:00 PM
Give me a break. I could give a shit about the Bucs or the Falcons. But, if you want to talk Falcons - they are 11-2 and should have home field throughout the playoffs. Why? Because they had ONE shitty loss. We've had FOUR.

I don't think the team is bipolar. I just think they are playing against other professional teams and the phrase "any given Sunday" isn't a phrase by accident

I think you are the one being bipolar. Steelers are great last week and they suck this week? To me, they have been the same team all year: an above average team that had a chance to make a deep run in the playoffs.

As for the "cheap shot" - I apologize. I meant to write that just pointing out teams that did well for this year only is a pea brained thing to do and did not mean to call u pea brained

Stairway2-7
12-09-2012, 05:02 PM
I will always support the Steelers, but losing to a team we should not have always hurts. :tt02:

maddog78
12-09-2012, 05:02 PM
This is the 2009 team all over again. Can't beat the bad teams, which means you're a bad team. They're going to lose out, which is what the team needs. They're too comfortable.

The coming salary cap purge will be great in the long run. Get rid of fat cats who don't want to work anymore and are grossly overpaid, and get some fresh, young, hungry players in the fold. Ben still wants to win rings. I'm not sure many of his teammates are as interested.

ETL
12-09-2012, 05:06 PM
This is the 2009 team all over again. Can't beat the bad teams, which means you're a bad team. They're going to lose out, which is what the team needs. They're too comfortable.

Are you a Ravens fan?

desertsteel
12-09-2012, 05:09 PM
I'm going to say it the simplest way possible:

DON'T LET THE HIGHS GET YOU TOO HIGH AND DON'T LET THE LOWS GET YOU TOO LOW.

The NFL is a week to week game. We all just need to deal with it. And if a team goes 15-1 or 16-0, it means squat-diddly once the playoffs start.

Stairway2-7
12-09-2012, 05:09 PM
Mikey had 7 catches for 112 yards and 2 touchdowns and people are still bitching at him. He had a drop, and it was a big one

whoa whoa slow down. Yes he had a good game. but the point is, he DROPS BALLS in key moments, all season long. I cheered like heck for his 2 td passes, but I still dont believe he has what it takes. Hes a true one trick pony!

desertsteel
12-09-2012, 05:10 PM

The coming salary cap purge will be great in the long run. Get rid of fat cats who don't want to work anymore and are grossly overpaid, and get some fresh, young, hungry players in the fold. Ben still wants to win rings. I'm not sure many of his teammates are as interested.

Are you a Ravens fan?

Me thinks he is ETL

steelfury02
12-09-2012, 05:12 PM
I'm convinced after tonight that this team will do just enough to get in. Meaning, we'll stay on pace with Bengals, and just squeek in by winning the next meeting with them. I really have nothing left to hang my hat on with this team. You can put all the stats up about Wallace that you want. The entire offense didn't effin wake up until the game was all but lost. Way to emphasize garbage time stats on Wallace.

The guy finally does what he is supposed to do when the game is out of hand? That's BS. Yea, I'm pissed at Brown now too. This whole WR and RB corp absolutely sucks balls and no one seems to have the fire. They muster enough for a game, and then they go back to not caring the next - or at least that is what it seems like.

WHERE THE FUCK ARE THE STEELERS THAT BEAT THE GIANTS? HELLO??? This team isn't even as good as 05's. They can catch lightning in a bottle, or just continue to do what they've shown they can do - win one week, lose the next. They're 7-6 for a reason.

SteelersCanada
12-09-2012, 05:17 PM

So, are you illiterate? It was less than 200 words and it's considered a 'book' because it goes against the doomsday 'the season is over! we fucking suck!' mantra that is so common after a loss?

Next time, post constructively or don't post at all. Thanks for comin' out though.

Riddle me this:

Denver and Houston scare you? Really?

Schaub hasn't won a playoff game and that Texans secondary is truly bad. Shut down Foster and make Schaub throw, and the Texans fold. The Packers already showed the rest of the league how to beat the Texans - they just haven't been playing good teams. Peyton, on the other hand, is 9-10 in the playoffs. The Broncos have already shown - in primetime - they can't beat elite football teams. He tends to pack it in come postseason time, anyway, and none of us should be scared of those two teams.

However, I'd be a little antsy playing the Patriots in Foxboro. I don't like going into Tom's house of pain.

TRH
12-09-2012, 05:22 PM
I'm convinced after tonight that this team will do just enough to get in. Meaning, we'll stay on pace with Bengals, and just squeek in by winning the next meeting with them. I really have nothing left to hang my hat on with this team. You can put all the stats up about Wallace that you want. The entire offense didn't effin wake up until the game was all but lost. Way to emphasize garbage time stats on Wallace.

The guy finally does what he is supposed to do when the game is out of hand? That's BS. Yea, I'm pissed at Brown now too. This whole WR and RB corp absolutely sucks balls and no one seems to have the fire. They muster enough for a game, and then they go back to not caring the next - or at least that is what it seems like.

WHERE THE FUCK ARE THE STEELERS THAT BEAT THE GIANTS? HELLO??? This team isn't even as good as 05's. They can catch lightning in a bottle, or just continue to do what they've shown they can do - win one week, lose the next. They're 7-6 for a reason.

actually...i'm thinking we'll fall just a little short this year.

As stated earlier in this thread. We have a good defense. But thats it. Good. It's not great. Or even excellent.
As well as injuries, poor special teams management (the stupid gaffe penalties just don't stop do they??), and a "good" defense that JUST WILL NOT produce turnovers.
I'm actually looking forward to a few spots that need filled better -- and a little old baggage to be let go --- and i think we'll be much, much better off.

Lady Steel
12-09-2012, 05:32 PM
http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/45109_10151409474120809_464631221_n.jpg

TRH
12-09-2012, 05:38 PM
this isn't about the Ravens losing. Its about us continually playing extremely poorly.

ETL
12-09-2012, 05:45 PM
actually...i'm thinking we'll fall just a little short this year.

As stated earlier in this thread. We have a good defense. But thats it. Good. It's not great. Or even excellent.
As well as injuries, poor special teams management (the stupid gaffe penalties just don't stop do they??), and a "good" defense that JUST WILL NOT produce turnovers.
I'm actually looking forward to a few spots that need filled better -- and a little old baggage to be let go --- and i think we'll be much, much better off.

It wouldn't surprise me if you are correct.

I give the Steelers 55% chance to beat the cowboys, 75% chance to beat the Bengals and 80% chance to beat the Browns but obviously it is not impossible for the Steelers to lose all 3

grward
12-09-2012, 05:46 PM
I'm going to say it the simplest way possible:

DON'T LET THE HIGHS GET YOU TOO HIGH AND DON'T LET THE LOWS GET YOU TOO LOW.

The NFL is a week to week game. We all just need to deal with it. And if a team goes 15-1 or 16-0, it means squat-diddly once the playoffs start.

THIS!

Thank you for saying it. We win a game and everyone is pumped and thinks we'll win the Super Bowl. We lose a game and the sky is falling! The posts here are just as wishy washy as the Steelers performances.

Lady Steel
12-09-2012, 05:48 PM
this isn't about the Ravens losing. Its about us continually playing extremely poorly.

Actually, you might want to take a look at the title of this thread. kthx.

TRH
12-09-2012, 05:49 PM

I give the Steelers 55% chance to beat the cowboys, 75% chance to beat the Bengals and 80% chance to beat the Browns but obviously it is not impossible for the Steelers to lose all 3

its as if the more a team sucks - the greater our chances of our losing (can't forget we also almost blew that one in KC too) :sofunny:

teegre
12-09-2012, 05:52 PM
This only counted as one loss? Check.

Is BB playing? Check.

Is it possible for the Steelers to still make the play-offs? Check.

Summation:
Until officially eliminated or until BB is declared medically dead, I am not giving up hope.

LVSteelersfan
12-09-2012, 06:03 PM
The disturbing thing is we have a good team when they want to play as a unit. We suck mightily on days when they don't seem to give a crap. All these stupid penalties are just mental errors and lack of focus. Holding penalties at the worst times keep pushing us back. We never seem to have good field position due to stupid penalties. Someone needs to running some serious crushers up and down the field for full practices. I guarantee that worked for us back in my high school days. At least it made you think a bit about lackadaisical play.

ZoneBlitzer
12-09-2012, 06:05 PM

Those are insane numbers. I say 50% to beat the cowboys. 50% to beat the Bengals and a 20% chance to beat the Browns.

ETL
12-09-2012, 06:09 PM
Those are insane numbers. I say 50% to beat the cowboys. 50% to beat the Bengals and a 20% chance to beat the Browns.

20 % to beat Browns?.... In Pittsburgh?.... With Ben?....

And you think I'M insane?

SteelersCanada
12-09-2012, 06:11 PM
Why do the losses bring out the stupidity in our fanbase? It's sad to look at.

casteeler
12-09-2012, 06:25 PM
Why do the losses bring out the stupidity in our fanbase? It's sad to look at.

? You obviously missed today's game.

casteeler
12-09-2012, 06:27 PM
20 % to beat Browns?.... In Pittsburgh?.... With Ben?....

And you think I'M insane?

I'm confused,who did the Steelers just get beat up by at home? Oh yeah it was the 4-8 Chargers

ETL
12-09-2012, 06:34 PM
I'm confused,who did the Steelers just get beat up by at home? Oh yeah it was the 4-8 Chargers

So are you saying that you expect the Steelers to lose to each and every team with a better record than 4-8?

You guys throw out whatever words you want to and have no idea what the implications are? At the very least, it means that I don't pay any attention to anything that you write in the future because its all about "the sky is falling" when we lose - nothing of substance - all just negative emotion - just like my 3 year old.

Even with todays game - i would have given the steelers an 80% chance of winning. I wouldn't have said 100%

But you guys are so black and white, so all or none and that is such a juvenile way to think.

SteelersCanada
12-09-2012, 06:37 PM

The Patriots lost to a 4-9 (then 4-0) Cardinals team by John Skelton and they didn't miss a beat. The same Cardinal team that is currently giving up 58 points while scoring 0 as I type this.

Shit happens in the NFL and that's why it's as exciting as it is. Unfortunately, we came out flat and lost at home. People are acting like this is a regular occurrence and bitching and complaining about it. Again, all the mistakes and errors made today are fixable ones. How many times have James and Troy both jumped offside consecutively? How many games has Pouncey had where his snaps were this off target?

This is fixable and it will be fixed. Freaking out and calling for heads isn't a way to fix it, contrary to what people believe.

The_Joker
12-09-2012, 06:39 PM
The Patriots lost to a 4-9 (then 4-0) Cardinals team by John Skelton and they didn't miss a beat. The same Cardinal team that is currently giving up 58 points while scoring 0 as I type this.

Shit happens in the NFL and that's why it's as exciting as it is. Unfortunately, we came out flat and lost at home. People are acting like this is a regular occurrence and bitching and complaining about it. Again, all the mistakes and errors made today are fixable ones. How many times have James and Troy both jumped offside consecutively? How many games has Pouncey had where his snaps were this off target?

This is fixable and it will be fixed. Freaking out and calling for heads isn't a way to fix it, contrary to what people believe.

No, people just feel powerful if they call for heads 24/7

Listen to this guy folks...

casteeler
12-09-2012, 06:44 PM
So are you saying that you expect the Steelers to lose to each and every team with a better record than 4-8?

You guys throw out whatever words you want to and have no idea what the implications are? At the very least, it means that I don't pay any attention to anything that you write in the future because its all about "the sky is falling" when we lose - nothing of substance - all just negative emotion - just like my 3 year old.

Even with todays game - i would have given the steelers an 80% chance of winning. I wouldn't have said 100%

But you guys are so black and white, so all or none and that is such a juvenile way to think.

No,I'm expecting this team to play with some intensity.Play like you wanna make the playoffs. I enjoy writing on this forum because of reactions to my posts like yours,I have a different view on what this loss means and we all can't agree that losing a game at Home that means a heck of a lot is not a big deal. Respect other people's posts,without guys like me on these forums everyone could agree that the Steelers will turn it around 100% and beat the Cowboys next week

Raw Steel
12-09-2012, 06:51 PM

That's fine to lose one or maybe even two of those type of games in a season, but the Steelers have lost to the Raiders (3-10), Titans (4-9), Browns (5-8) and Chargers (5-8). Either team, the coaches or a combination of both aren't doing their jobs. There is something definitely wrong and to criticize the people who see it as wacky or overreacting isn't really watching what is going on.

SteelBobbleHead
12-09-2012, 07:03 PM
This Steeler team has shown the potential to win every game all the way to a 7th SB title and also the potential to lose the last 3 of the regular season. I am hoping for a 7 game winning streak. Stay tuned to find out which team shows up.

Fire Arians
12-09-2012, 07:06 PM

cause it isn't? dropping 4 out of 6 games (66%) against sub .500 teams isn't a regular occurence? coulda fooled me.

steelfury02
12-09-2012, 07:33 PM
They are 7-6. They are mediocre. We have 3 weeks left to correct all mistakes - they will need to play their A+ game from here on out. There is no margin of error left. All of you apologists are starting to run out of reasons why they will turn it around. Not much time left.

Ricco Suavez
12-09-2012, 07:47 PM
This team can still be good come playoff time. That is unless they give up like some of the fans have already. I know people hate the homers, but honestly after losses all you read is how can we lose and really it matters not if the opponent is the best of the league or cellar dwellars. I fell that half of the doomsdayers are glad we lost and the other half are truly pissed cause they have to take crap from friends or fellow workers or internet chat rooms about the lost. Guys put these losses in perspective, if you have your health and someone who loves you then its not the end of the world. And remember to live without hope is not really living.

ETL
12-09-2012, 07:58 PM
No,I'm expecting this team to play with some intensity.Play like you wanna make the playoffs. I enjoy writing on this forum because of reactions to my posts like yours,I have a different view on what this loss means and we all can't agree that losing a game at Home that means a heck of a lot is not a big deal. Respect other people's posts,without guys like me on these forums everyone could agree that the Steelers will turn it around 100% and beat the Cowboys next week

If you want the Steelers to play with intensity - then post THAT!

Don't post "we're going to lose to the Browns so we may as well pack it in" - I'm paraphrasing but that is the jist of what you said. How is that saying that you want this team to play with intensity.

Also - you enjoy getting a "reaction" ? Did you know that Jeffrey Dahmer would torture animals and people to get a "reaction"

Finally, I posted that we have a 50% chance to beat the cowboys. You are battling fictional people if you think if you weren't here - we would all think 100% of beating the Cowboys.

In fact, you are not the contrarian that you think you are. You are basically the king of the bandwagon thinkers if you post all your negative things after a loss (which is basically what you do) Its actually somewhat cowardly.

Again, I respect that you want the Steelers to play with more intensity - but can't stand the "teenage moping" posts.

ETL
12-09-2012, 08:03 PM
This team can still be good come playoff time. That is unless they give up like some of the fans have already. I know people hate the homers, but honestly after losses all you read is how can we lose and really it matters not if the opponent is the best of the league or cellar dwellars. I fell that half of the doomsdayers are glad we lost and the other half are truly pissed cause they have to take crap from friends or fellow workers or internet chat rooms about the lost. Guys put these losses in perspective, if you have your health and someone who loves you then its not the end of the world. And remember to live without hope is not really living.

Agree 100%. Can you imagine if we were in the trenches with some of these Steeler fans. They would give up and surrender with the first negative event.

And after we win the war - they will come out of their bunkers and celebrate.

Ricco Suavez
12-09-2012, 08:07 PM
The year we beat the Cardinals in the Superbowl, there was a consensus to start Leftwich over Ben after he had a very good game against the Redskins. Can you imagine how that strategy would worked.

Atlanta Dan
12-09-2012, 08:14 PM
A team that can beat the Giants (who have their own issues about mailing it in sometimes) and the Ravens on the road obviously has the talent to win

But something is off - the OL was awful (OL coach distracted by job interview?) and teh inability to get turnovers or sacks is baffling

I will watch and cheer every Sunday but the repeated lapses agsinst trash teams are maddening - other than at Baltimore I cannot see this team winning on the road in the playoffs - Manning or Brady will make most of the throws Rivers was missing today

I put this one on the team leaders and coaches for the team being flat - even during the 2009 crash the team did not get blown out like today - IMO the most embarassing loss during Tomlin's 6 years as HC

Steel_Bus_24
12-09-2012, 08:16 PM
The year we beat the Cardinals in the Superbowl, there was a consensus to start Leftwich over Ben after he had a very good game against the Redskins. Can you imagine how that strategy would worked.

Ben threw game changing INTs the week before against the Colts that lost us that game due to a shoulder injury......Then he got hurt again early agaisnt the Redskins

No one was saying they wanted Leftwich in there any longer then it would take for Ben to get healthy enough to where a repeat of that Colts game performance wasn't assured

ETL
12-09-2012, 08:18 PM

I bet those people calling for Leftwich have selectively forgotton about that.

Just as these folks will if we go all the way.

Now the reality is that we have a less than 15% chance to go all the way. But unlike many other teams - we have a chance and that is good enough for me.
:tt04:

ETL
12-09-2012, 08:23 PM
A team that can beat the Giants (who have their own issues about mailing it in sometimes) and the Ravens on the road obviously has the talent to win

But something is off - the OL was awful (OL coach distracted by job interview?) and teh inability to get turnovers or sacks is baffling

I will watch and cheer every Sunday but the repeated lapses agsinst trash teams are maddening - other than at Baltimore I cannot see this team winning on the road in the playoffs - Manning or Brady will make most of the throws Rivers was missing today

I put this one on the team leaders and coaches for the team being flat - even during the 2009 crash the team did not get blown out like today - IMO the most embarassing loss during Tomlin's 6 years as HC

Agree with you. I don;t think the players had any emotional energy today. if anything, they were expecting Ben to singlehandly win the game because he was back.

The players played with more urgency with Batch in there. I don't know if its the coaches job or the players job to get up emotionally for the game.

Steel Warrior
12-09-2012, 08:23 PM
To the optimists, did you actually watch today's game? This team is NOT making the playoffs, nor should they. They're a middle of the road team at best. We'd be killed by the Pats, Texans, or Broncos. Better to go out quitely.

ETL
12-09-2012, 08:29 PM
To the optimists, did you actually watch today's game? This team is NOT making the playoffs, nor should they. They're a middle of the road team at best. We'd be killed by the Pats, Texans, or Broncos. Better to go out quitely.

Would you like to buy some stock? I will only sell you stocks that have gone up a lot last week. And I will sell it for you if the stock goes down. that way, I will always have you BUY HIGH and SELL LOW. Isn't that great?!?

FrancoLambert
12-09-2012, 08:30 PM
The extremes rule here.
If you criticize the Steelers you're giving up and not supporting the team.
If you drink enough Black and Gold Kool-Aid you give it the "we control our own destiny" slant.
Like winning all of our remaining games is such a sure thing.

"If we make the playoffs teams like Denver and Houston won't be a problem."
Sure, we only lose to teams like Oakland, Tennessee, San Diego, and Cleveland.

I'd rather be a realist than a cockeyed optimist.

Atlanta Dan
12-09-2012, 08:31 PM
To the optimists, did you actually watch today's game? This team is NOT making the playoffs, nor should they.

Steelers win tiebreakers with Bengals and Jets if they win home games against Cincy and Cleveland

Bengals lost at home today to a Dallas team where Dallas players literally were sobbing during pregame warm-ups

Steelers are mediocre but do you really think the Bengals are going to beat them at Heinz?

njsteeler87v2
12-09-2012, 08:33 PM

After venting about that ineptitude of a game today, Thanks for the encouragement, ETL..
I needed that...

Steel_Bus_24
12-09-2012, 08:34 PM
Agree 100%. Can you imagine if we were in the trenches with some of these Steeler fans. They would give up and surrender with the first negative event.

And after we win the war - they will come out of their bunkers and celebrate.

Ok thats stretching it a bit

This isn't the first occurrence either.....this is 4th loss to a .500 or below team

Denying that there is a problem won't help either.

I thought they flipped on the switch last week and something changed in them, but here we are again baffled by another charity win given out to an inferior opponent

Someone better get these guys thinking its going to take everything they have and then some to beat 3 big boy teams in a row, on the road to get to the SB

Because this sloppy undisciplined play isn't going to get them anywhere

lardlad
12-09-2012, 08:34 PM

That is not very reassuring. They cannot take care of business. This is two years now they cannot beat, or have extreme difficulty beating <500 teams.

Man what a difference a week makes.

lardlad
12-09-2012, 08:36 PM
Steelers are mediocre but do you really think the Bengals are going to beat them at Heinz?

Heh, hehe.

ETL
12-09-2012, 08:37 PM
The extremes rule here.
If you criticize the Steelers you're giving up and not supporting the team.
If you drink enough Black and Gold Kool-Aid you give it the "we control our own destiny" slant.
Like winning all of our remaining games is such a sure thing.

"If we make the playoffs teams like Denver and Houston won't be a problem."
Sure, we only lose to teams like Oakland, Tennessee, San Diego, and Cleveland.

I'd rather be a realist than a cockeyed optimist.

Why is my view "extreme"? I think the Steelers have a good chance to beat the Bengals and Browns at home and if they do that - they have a good chance of making the playoffs. Is that extreme?

Also, I don't mind people criticizing the team but to say that we should fire the head coach or just forget about watching the rest of the season - well that to me is the definition of a fair weather fan.

and the reason i hate fair weather fans is because they have no depth, they are shallow, never own up to their words, cowardly and just annoying in general.

I don't mind you criticizing the steelers - just do it with some intelligence

Fire Arians
12-09-2012, 08:42 PM

if we play like we did today, that's very possible.

on the bright side for playoff hopes, the bengals looked just as shitty as we did today

ETL
12-09-2012, 08:42 PM
Ok thats stretching it a bit

This isn't the first occurrence either.....this is 4th loss to a .500 or below team

Denying that there is a problem won't help either.

I thought they flipped on the switch last week and something changed in them, but here we are again baffled by another charity win given out to an inferior opponent

Someone better get these guys thinking its going to take everything they have and then some to beat 3 big boy teams in a row, on the road to get to the SB

Because this sloppy undisciplined play is isn't going to get them anywhere

I am hearing this a lot - "4th loss to a .500 or below team"

I think this is bugging the fandom a lot. It bugs them more than wins again 9-4 Baltimore or 8-5 Giants, 7-6 Washington, 7-6 Cincy.

I just think that the Steelers had low energy and the Chargers had a lot more energy than they normal have and things went their way.

Drizztbob
12-09-2012, 08:43 PM
We have a good shot of getting into the playoffs, but not by playing the way we did today. I was thinking we would win out and Baltimore would lose out, but it simply feels like we constantly overlook the sub par teams. Even the veteran players agree that it feels like the younger guys expect to win these games and don't put forth the effort. See quotes from Clark and Kiesel.

Hopefully we step up next week, right the ship with Ben back, get into a rhythm and drive hard into the playoffs. I'm not ready to throw in the towel yet, but today had me throwing my yellow one into the ground.

Cherinko
12-09-2012, 08:44 PM
forums.steelersfever.com always bursts into hysteria following a loss. I wonder if other teams and web forums follow the same pattern..

Steel Warrior
12-09-2012, 08:48 PM
Would you like to buy some stock? I will only sell you stocks that have gone up a lot last week. And I will sell it for you if the stock goes down. that way, I will always have you BUY HIGH and SELL LOW. Isn't that great?!?

What's your point, yeah, you're great! How about you go fu*k yourself and when you're done, fu*k somebody that looks just like you! Isn't that great!! Fuckin moron.

Drizztbob
12-09-2012, 08:51 PM
Meh getting a little of topic here guys. Everyone's pissed about the game, but its not the end of the world. We will regroup, and hopefully get better the last 3 games.

SteelBobbleHead
12-09-2012, 08:56 PM
I keep seeing complaints about losing to 4 sub 500 teams. While I don't like it, parity is a bitch.I'll give you the raiders and titans suck but all but 3 of the chargers and browns losses have been within one score. I honestly don't believe there is a dominant teasm in the AFC. Every team in the AFC has its flaws. The Steelers happen to be a defense that doesn't create turnovers and an offense that is sluggish right now.

torpedoshell31
12-09-2012, 08:58 PM
Even if we lose to the Cowboys next week, we still control our own destiny. If we beat the Bengals and Browns at home the last 2 weeks we make the playoffs.

Atlanta Dan
12-09-2012, 09:02 PM
What's your point, yeah, you're great! How about you go fu*k yourself and when you're done, fu*k somebody that looks just like you! Isn't that great!! Fuckin moron.

Helpful hint - if you are too drunk to drive you are probably too drunk to post

harrison'samonster
12-09-2012, 09:03 PM
I keep seeing complaints about losing to 4 sub 500 teams. While I don't like it, parity is a bitch.I'll give you the raiders and titans suck but all but 3 of the chargers and browns losses have been within one score. I honestly don't believe there is a dominant teasm in the AFC. Every team in the AFC has its flaws. The Steelers happen to be a defense that doesn't create turnovers and an offense that is sluggish right now.

very good point. I live closer to Cleveland, so I see a lot of their games, and they aren't as bad as their record would lead you to believe. They have been in just about every game this year.

They are a young, aggressive team that's only getting better.

casteeler
12-09-2012, 09:05 PM
If you want the Steelers to play with intensity - then post THAT!

Don't post "we're going to lose to the Browns so we may as well pack it in" - I'm paraphrasing but that is the jist of what you said. How is that saying that you want this team to play with intensity.

Also - you enjoy getting a "reaction" ? Did you know that Jeffrey Dahmer would torture animals and people to get a "reaction"

Finally, I posted that we have a 50% chance to beat the cowboys. You are battling fictional people if you think if you weren't here - we would all think 100% of beating the Cowboys.

In fact, you are not the contrarian that you think you are. You are basically the king of the bandwagon thinkers if you post all your negative things after a loss (which is basically what you do) Its actually somewhat cowardly.

Again, I respect that you want the Steelers to play with more intensity - but can't stand the "teenage moping" posts.

So, because I said I like to Argue you compare me to Jeffery Dahmer? Seems to me you like to insult people who don't share your views.Were all Steeler fans on this Forum and its disappointing to me that your allowed to insult fellow posters

Steel Warrior
12-09-2012, 09:07 PM
Helpful hint - if you are too drunk to drive you are probably too drunk to post

Really, who insulted who first, been a member a long time, just don't post much, but don't take crap from jerks either.

Atlanta Dan
12-09-2012, 09:11 PM
Really, who insulted who first, been a member a long time, just don't post much, but don't take crap from jerks either.

I gave you the benefit of the doubt that you were drunk when posting that moronic response - if you were sober you really need to consider taking off the rest of the evening from the forum to cool down

:drink:

btaylor179
12-09-2012, 09:14 PM
not the end of the world but that was poorly coached game as well......goin for it on 4th down when we havent moved the ball at all.......any one coach these guys to kick the ball out of endzone? this aint pee wee

harrison'samonster
12-09-2012, 09:16 PM
not the end of the world but that was poorly coached game as well......goin for it on 4th down when we havent moved the ball at all.......any one coach these guys to kick the ball out of endzone? this aint pee wee

yeah, I don't know what AB was thinking. He obviously was smart enough to hustle after the ball even when it looked like an incomplete pass, but c'mon, kick the stinking thing out of the endzone!

ETL
12-09-2012, 09:17 PM

my point is that you used today's game (the latest piece of information) and only that information to predict what would happen for the next 4 weeks and onwards

you are quick to judge and resign

and as far as your maturity ... well, you proved my point

ETL
12-09-2012, 09:20 PM
So, because I said I like to Argue you compare me to Jeffery Dahmer? Seems to me you like to insult people who don't share your views.Were all Steeler fans on this Forum and its disappointing to me that your allowed to insult fellow posters

no - arguing is fine. you posted that you want to get a reaction.

that's like saying anything and doing anything - because the reaction is the desired result

if you "argue" then you are trying to make a point - i will respect any point that you make - but I will go after whatever you use to support your point - especially if your supporting evidence is weak

Atlanta Dan
12-09-2012, 09:20 PM

Agreed - it was as if Tomlin thought being stubborn could will the team to a first down

But the killer was the 9 minute drive for most of the 3rd quarter - Tom Brady or Peyton Manning can only hope they get a shot at Curtis Brown in the playoffs

Ricco Suavez
12-09-2012, 09:21 PM
Ben threw game changing INTs the week before against the Colts that lost us that game due to a shoulder injury......Then he got hurt again early agaisnt the Redskins

No one was saying they wanted Leftwich in there any longer then it would take for Ben to get healthy enough to where a repeat of that Colts game performance wasn't assured

Hate to disagree with you but I had many a post on just those thoughts. People were on here wanting to bench Ben I saved a PM from one disgruntled Ben hater for a long time after the Superbowl telling me how Ben did nothing to win that game even after taking over on the 10-15 yard line after the Cardinals took the lead. There was many on here calling for Ben to be replaced because we were struggling to score points and Lefty had a great game against the Redskins.

Ricco Suavez
12-09-2012, 09:30 PM
I do not begrudge anyone 's opinion, but if you going to bitch and bemoan every loss than why even come on here. Save yourself the ulcers, switch teams, watch Andy Griffith reruns and stay away from the ESPN and NFL channels. The same ones who were pounding their chests last Sunday night are the same ones wanting to fight anyone who still has a shred of faith. Someone said the key is not getting too high or too low and this is exactly what some do. We win an emotional game and suddenly Ben is cleared to play, Ravens look fallible and we looking like Superbowl here we come. Ben comes out rusty, no running room, defense plays either their worse or at least their second worse game of the year and BOOM we horsecrap again. Whats it going to be next week if we win, or the next if we beat Cincy, or even the next and beat Cleveland, then will we be Superbowl bound again. If history has taught us anything it is not an advantage to peak early, a three game winning streak going into the playoffs could cure a lot of ill will on this board. I dont always see sunshine but like Annie sang it will come out again and like Daddy said "the sun shines on a dogs ass sometimes".

ETL
12-09-2012, 09:37 PM

Do you know what you posted?

here it is:

First - you think today's game, just ONE game should deter us "optimists" from thinking how we think. Forget about the fact that Ben is our QB, forget that we can beat the Ravens and Giants on their field. Forget that we have gone to 3 of the last 7 Super Bowls. No, let's just use ONE game - to judge the rest of the season.

Second - you come to a Steelers message board and tell us that the Steelers should not make the playoff. Again, just based on this ONE game - we are not going to make the playoffs and even add that we should not DESERVE to make the playoffs - meaning that in your judgment base on ONE game, we should forfeit a playoff spot or any desires to make the playoffs.

Third - you elevate other opponents - the Pats - who lost to the cardinals at home this year (hmm, why aren't you using that ONE game), the Texans - who have not won anything ever and the Broncos - who are basically a new team with Manning - and guess what - the Steelers have beaten Manning in the playoff and beaten the Broncos in the playoffs as well.

Fourth - you think we will get "killed" by these opponents. Why would you think that? Maybe its all based on ONE game.

Finally - you say that we should go out "quietly." I think that just blew my mind. I can't even believe you are a fan of the Steelers when you say something like that. "Go out quietly" Why would you root for anything that goes out quietly.

I'm sorry but the sum of your statements deserved a strong response saying how reactionary you were - based on ONE game. I just chose to use the stock market to make my point.

Stlrs4Life
12-09-2012, 09:40 PM
And it was completely predictable . Any and all steeler fans should have seen it coming.

I never, ever see the Steelers playing that terrible ever! That was very pathetic. You don't just get better over night. I am not, and will not make excuses for them. They should be very ashamed, and embarassed. Heck, I'm embarassed for them!

As far as the original post, very good post and read. This is reality though. This team shows no consistency what ever. Another stat for ya. Any time a team wins a very emotional game, bet against them the following week. You will win that bet every time.

ETL
12-09-2012, 09:43 PM
Another stat for ya. Any time a team wins a very emotional game, bet against them the following week. You will win that bet every time.

I think that's what was "predictable"

I agree with you that the Steelers are not as "reliable" as they should be but they are good enough to beat the Bengals and Browns and they get to play them at home.

That is where I am basing my optimism for making the playoffs.

Steel_Bus_24
12-09-2012, 09:45 PM
I do not begrudge anyone 's opinion, but if you going to bitch and bemoan every loss than why even come on here. Save yourself the ulcers, switch teams, watch Andy Griffith reruns and stay away from the ESPN and NFL channels. The same ones who were pounding their chests last Sunday night are the same ones wanting to fight anyone who still has a shred of faith. Someone said the key is not getting too high or too low and this is exactly what some do. We win an emotional game and suddenly Ben is cleared to play, Ravens look fallible and we looking like Superbowl here we come. Ben comes out rusty, no running room, defense plays either their worse or at least their second worse game of the year and BOOM we horsecrap again. Whats it going to be next week if we win, or the next if we beat Cincy, or even the next and beat Cleveland, then will we be Superbowl bound again. If history has taught us anything it is not an advantage to peak early, a three game winning streak going into the playoffs could cure a lot of ill will on this board. I dont always see sunshine but like Annie sang it will come out again and like Daddy said "the sun shines on a dogs ass sometimes".

Not Me

I wanted to see us build off of last week and show what we haven't shown all year...some consistency

In that "Who Should Worry Us" thread my response of "they all should worry us"....was met with a "Its them who should fear us"

casteeler
12-09-2012, 10:07 PM
no - arguing is fine. you posted that you want to get a reaction.

that's like saying anything and doing anything - because the reaction is the desired result

if you "argue" then you are trying to make a point - i will respect any point that you make - but I will go after whatever you use to support your point - especially if your supporting evidence is weak

No you didn't compare me to Jeffery Dahmer? We disagree and you don't see my point of view

SteeleReign
12-09-2012, 10:19 PM
I don't think the team is bipolar. I just think they are playing against other professional teams and the phrase "any given Sunday" isn't a phrase by accident

I think you are the one being bipolar. Steelers are great last week and they suck this week? To me, they have been the same team all year: an above average team that had a chance to make a deep run in the playoffs.

As for the "cheap shot" - I apologize. I meant to write that just pointing out teams that did well for this year only is a pea brained thing to do and did not mean to call u pea brained

It's all good then. And I appreciate your optimism in trying to paint the Steelers current status as "normal" and a result of the "any given Sunday" parity of the NFL.

However, my stance in not that the sky is falling or that the team sucks or that the entire coaching staff and half the players need to find new jobs. I'm simply stating that this team is under-performing given the quality of the roster, the high number of veterans, and the supposed top-notch coaching.

To be honest, the team has created their own high expectations and therefore, their own disappointment. If I were a Bengals or Redskins fan, for example, I wouldn't expect more from this team. But, as a fan of the 6-time champs, I can't accept today's effort as just "one of those things that happen to every team from time to time." Sorry.

Steelers17
12-09-2012, 10:20 PM
How much better should we feel after reviewing which of our favorites will be hot tubing it again? :banging:

http://tinyurl.com/abdmwv6

austinfrench76
12-09-2012, 10:34 PM
I for one did not see this coming. Who would of??? After a HUGE team win last week and the way the line had played both O and D. No one was thinking we were going to lose this game. Some may have cautioned that SD was no push over, and their not, but no on saw this coming. No excuses for this effort today. Sucked.

ETL
12-09-2012, 10:45 PM
It's all good then. And I appreciate your optimism in trying to paint the Steelers current status as "normal" and a result of the "any given Sunday" parity of the NFL.

However, my stance in not that the sky is falling or that the team sucks or that the entire coaching staff and half the players need to find new jobs. I'm simply stating that this team is under-performing given the quality of the roster, the high number of veterans, and the supposed top-notch coaching.

To be honest, the team has created their own high expectations and therefore, their own disappointment. If I were a Bengals or Redskins fan, for example, I wouldn't expect more from this team. But, as a fan of the 6-time champs, I can't accept today's effort as just "one of those things that happen to every team from time to time." Sorry.

Thanks for accepting my apology. My bad.

As for underperforming and "quality of the roster" - i don't know. I don't think we have one ProBowl player in the defense (maybe ryan clark) and maybe Heath Miller on offense. Let's face it, Ben is why we even have a chance or any hope.

I think we are as good as Ben plays or as good as Ben can play (OL, injuries, WR dropping balls) so to be 7-6 with Ben out three games so far is not all that surprising to me.

I am not blindly optimistic. If we had to beat Cincy and Cleveland away to get into the playoffs - then I wouldn't be so optimistic. But familiar foes at home with a healthy Ben - I like our chances.

ETL
12-09-2012, 10:48 PM
No you didn't compare me to Jeffery Dahmer? We disagree and you don't see my point of view

provocateur

[pruh-vok-uh-tur, -too r; French praw-vaw-ka-túr]

noun, plural pro∑vo∑ca∑teurs [-turz, -too rz; French -túr].

a person who provokes trouble, causes dissension, or the like; agitator.

having fun yet?

SteeleReign
12-09-2012, 10:54 PM
Thanks for accepting my apology. My bad.

As for underperforming and "quality of the roster" - i don't know. I don't think we have one ProBowl player in the defense (maybe ryan clark) and maybe Heath Miller on offense. Let's face it, Ben is why we even have a chance or any hope.

I think we are as good as Ben plays or as good as Ben can play (OL, injuries, WR dropping balls) so to be 7-6 with Ben out three games so far is not all that surprising to me.

I am not blindly optimistic. If we had to beat Cincy and Cleveland away to get into the playoffs - then I wouldn't be so optimistic. But familiar foes at home with a healthy Ben - I like our chances.

I respect that opinion. But, why don't we have more Pro Bowlers? Generally speaking, winning teams supply the most Pro Bowlers. Why can't Mike Wallace be a Pro Bowler? Or Pouncey? Or Ziggy? Or Keenan Lewis? I guess I'm just saying that winning breeds success. If we had beaten Tennessee, Oakland, KC, and San Diego like we should have, then I'm willing to bet, at 10-3, we'd have a handful more Pro Bowlers.

Like you said, though, we still have the drivers seat for the playoffs and you just never know what happens in the playoffs. :tt03:

SteelBobbleHead
12-09-2012, 11:01 PM
I hope you are correct about the bengals. Being a common opponent should help but the bengals will have 10 days to rest and get ready for the Steelers since they play Thursday this week.

ETL
12-09-2012, 11:15 PM
I hope you are correct about the bengals. Being a common opponent should help but the bengals will have 10 days to rest and get ready for the Steelers since they play Thursday this week.

There are several scenarios that can carry us into the playoffs even if we lose to the bengals but then we will have to depend on the Ravens to beat the Bengals which I don't think will happen as they will want the Bengals in the playoffs before the Steelers.

beating the bengals will be the easiest way and the right way - as whoever wins - should deserve to go to the playoffs

casteeler
12-09-2012, 11:36 PM
provocateur

[pruh-vok-uh-tur, -too r; French praw-vaw-ka-túr]

noun, plural pro∑vo∑ca∑teurs [-turz, -too rz; French -túr].

a person who provokes trouble, causes dissension, or the like; agitator.

having fun yet?

Ahhh,Google search is fun!

nj1923steelgirl
12-10-2012, 10:15 AM
I will not lose hope!

torpedoshell31
12-10-2012, 10:37 AM
Rich Eisen on the NFL network called the Steelers the "Sybil" of the NFL. He said you never know week from week what your going to get from this team.

Drizztbob
12-10-2012, 07:10 PM
That's what makes this season so frustrating...

jiminpa
12-10-2012, 09:02 PM
They just came from a game that they had to put everything they had into, and where emotionally spent. The QB was out of sync to start, (two of his first three passes stuck to his gloves, and he is usually better with the gloves). We where without our best CB, and brought in a guy who was on the practice squad for a reason and another guy who was out of work for a reason. Godell's zebras just gave San Diego a touchdown free of charge. Our status quo HC refuses to fix special teams.

Oddly enough, I still like Tomlin's tendency to go for 4th and short. We usually make them.

ETL
12-10-2012, 09:38 PM
Rich Eisen on the NFL network called the Steelers the "Sybil" of the NFL. He said you never know week from week what your going to get from this team.

You can call the Charger, Cowboys and the Ravens "sybil" - it just means that there is parity. But the NFL head want there to be a dominant team like the 'Yankees" of baseball of "Manchester United" in the EPL as they sell more tickets and commercials.