PDA

View Full Version : Is it time to start Mendenhall?

Stairway2-7
12-09-2012, 05:36 PM
I have to admit, I was a huge Dwyer fan during his back to back 100+ yard games, but he hasn't done enough to prove himself starter yet. 32 yards isn't gonna cut it. I think were in a real bind at RB.

PhantomJB93
12-09-2012, 05:38 PM
No, we don't have a RB to start. Mendenhall has had his chances. So have Redman and Dwyer. None of them are going to get the job done but Redman and Dwyer do more with their touches so continue to give them the rock.

Somebody needs to be drafted next year.

Fire Arians
12-09-2012, 05:40 PM
why not, if he has a couple more decent game's he'll be good trade bait

sure he pissed away chances, but it's not like dwyer or redman made strong cases to be long-term starters either. we will probably draft a RB in rd. 1-3

Terminator
12-09-2012, 05:42 PM
They all suck. They aren't even close to being in the likes of the league's elite backs.

Such a shame. We haven't had a feature back since Bettis left.

ZoneBlitzer
12-09-2012, 05:44 PM
Can't run if you can't create holes. Their run-blocking is terrible. The way to beat the Steelers O is to stack the box and go right at them. The line can't cope with the rush and Ben can't make the quick read and release. This entire offense is too dependent on the scrambling ability of Ben and the hurry up style of offense.

Terminator
12-09-2012, 05:46 PM
Can't run if you can't create holes. Their run-blocking is terrible. The way to beat the Steelers O is to stack the box and go right at them. The line can't cope with the rush and Ben can't make the quick read and release. This entire offense is too dependent on the scrambling ability of Ben and the hurry up style of offense.

Elite backs make due with what's given to them.

Peterson, Lynch, Rice, Gore.

Do those teams have elite O-Lines? Hardly. They get the job done because they are the best.

ETL
12-09-2012, 05:47 PM
Despite our woes at RB - I would not want us to use a high pick for a RB in the draft

Terminator
12-09-2012, 05:48 PM
Despite our woes at RB - I would not want us to use a high pick for a RB in the draft

Most great running backs aren't ever drafted first round. It's pretty rare.

We need a big back with the footwork and stamina, and above all else, DISCIPLINE.

Fire Arians

I would. right now we are a decent running threat away from becoming a completely balanced offense. maybe not round 1, but in 2 or 3 I'm all about that

JewniorGong
None of our RB's are feature backs. Dwyer and Redman lack explosiveness, Mendy lacks elusiveness and ability to break tackles.. We definitely needed Mendy's speed back there today but in all honesty he stinks so it's not like it woulda turned out any better

WVABE
Well, if the O-Line isn't producing any holes to run thru its kinda hard to get big yardage. With the recievers constantly dropping the ball their D can focus alot more against the rush. And so far its working in our oppents favor.

Fire Arians
12-09-2012, 05:50 PM
None of our RB's are feature backs. Dwyer and Redman lack explosiveness, Mendy lacks elusiveness and ability to break tackles.. We definitely needed Mendy's speed back there today but in all honesty he stinks so it's not like it woulda turned out any better

pretty much. stacking the inside of the box will shut down our running game, because redman or dwyer don't have that explosiveness to bounce out / cut back and make the defense pay for it. mendenhall has it, but ball security / lack of vision to see cutback lanes is an issue

Stairway2-7
12-09-2012, 05:51 PM

We need a big back with the footwork and stamina, and above all else, DISCIPLINE.

def agree on the discipline. I guess we'll just have to run with Dwyer till next season.

defence
12-09-2012, 06:05 PM

Ya; so what you suggest is to keep drafting o line when we have invested 2 picks this year. Honestly; you could put the hogs up front and these 3 backs couldn't run with them blocking. In reality to the op's question. You have no choice but to give mendenhall another chance. Those other 2 are completely useless and they fumbled too in the cleveland game. Tomlin; get off your horse and give the guy a chance; the season depends on it.

Rowland2110
12-09-2012, 06:08 PM

Do those teams have elite O-Lines? Hardly. They get the job done because they are the best.

Setting the bar a bit high there. Dwyer is a good back and could probably start but expecting a elite back is a bit much. If elite backs where so easy to come by then they would be normal. Not elite.

jiminpa
12-09-2012, 06:12 PM
Pittsburgh running backs 0, Arians 2. Mendenhaul had potential, but Arians killed his career. Throw him on the pile with Willie Parker.

Darkstorm05
12-09-2012, 07:09 PM
About time people realize the Dwyer/Redman duo is one dimensional, and not going to cut it. Box stacked, slow fat men are shut down. We need to be able to change it up and make a quick run out around the edge when needed. Watching Dwyer try to do that in past games was painful. It seemed like it took him 30 seconds to waddle out there and was half winded by then.

Gotta have a guy with burst speed. Why would the defense ever respect Dwyer when they know damned well any of them can simply run him down from behind if he happens to break through? If Tomlin is determined to sit Mendenhall, I'd like to see Dwyer or Redman in the backfield with Rainey back there, so we have the option to hand off to either. And actually change it up, not just send in Rainey and make it clear he's the guy just because he trotted on the field. Split backs, keeping them guessing as to who's getting the carry, and mixing in some play action.

Neil-Still-Rules-14
12-09-2012, 07:20 PM

I hate to do this to you, but of the top 30 rushers in NFL History, there are:

23 first-rounders
5 second-rounders
1 third-rounder
1 undrafted

LastRide
12-09-2012, 07:25 PM
Why does Haley have Dwyer lining up 7-8 yards behind the line on a 3rd and a foot ?, maybe it was on the 4th down. ?. Anyways, I knew he wasn't going to make it. Those are the hardest yards to get and your putting your running back in an early hole. I had a coffee and a cigarette by the time Dwyer made it close to the line of scrimmage. I could understand if we had a speedster type back who can cut it outside lining up that far back. Even then its stupid.

harrison'samonster
12-09-2012, 07:27 PM

23 first-rounders
5 second-rounders
1 third-rounder
1 undrafted

who's the one undrafted?

SteelersCanada
12-09-2012, 07:28 PM
About time people realize the Dwyer/Redman duo is one dimensional, and not going to cut it. Box stacked, slow fat men are shut down. We need to be able to change it up and make a quick run out around the edge when needed. Watching Dwyer try to do that in past games was painful. It seemed like it took him 30 seconds to waddle out there and was half winded by then.

This is hitting the nail right on the head.

edit - tonight, Dwyer had 32 yards on 8 carries. Ben had 31 yards on 5 carries. That, my friends, is a problem. 14 yards came on a single run of Dwyers at the end of the game in garbage time. The Chargers were playing pass so Dwyer was able to get some yards. What does that mean? Take away the 14 yard run in garbage time and Dwyer had 7 carries for 14 yards. 2 ypc isn't going to cut it. We had to rely on Ben far too early in this game because Dwyer wasn't getting anything done. Say what you want about Mendenhall, but he was always able to bounce it outside and make something happen on the edges.

Dwyer isn't terrible, but he's mediocre. He's not a franchise running back, and it's time we stop looking for the next Bettis. This isn't 2005, we need someone that has the speed and ability to bounce it outside and make something happen outside the tackles - not an overweight and out of shape running back who can only run up the middle.

Darkstorm05
12-09-2012, 07:32 PM
who's the one undrafted?

Priest Holmes would be my guess.

PhantomJB93
12-09-2012, 07:46 PM
The good thing is that RB is becoming such an undervalued position that players who would have gone top 16 5 years ago are now going in the late first round if not in the second. We can get a stud RB prospect in the second round of this draft or even the third and still use our first pick on a safety or LB or whatever we feel inclined to take.

As this season goes on it's becoming apparent to me that RB needs to be addressed in the second or third round of this draft. We need a real workhorse RB and that's not going to be found on this current roster or through FA.

SoCalFan
12-09-2012, 07:54 PM
Well, if the O-Line isn't producing any holes to run thru its kinda hard to get big yardage. With the recievers constantly dropping the ball their D can focus alot more against the rush. And so far its working in our oppents favor.

THIS^^^

I cant believe most of you are dogging the backs so much, ITS THE O-LINE thats not doing their job opening even the smallest lanes!

I say let Doug back in at center and move Pouncy back out!:thumbsup:

Stairway to 7
12-09-2012, 08:00 PM
The line has not run block well since Colon and Adams went down. but none of these backs are the answer to anything.

BowCatShot
12-09-2012, 08:10 PM
Mendenhall needs to bench Tomlin.

defence
12-09-2012, 08:19 PM
THIS^^^

I cant believe most of you are dogging the backs so much, ITS THE O-LINE thats not doing their job opening even the smallest lanes!

I say let Doug back in at center and move Pouncy back out!:thumbsup:

Sure. Let's spend this years first 2 picks again on the oline while the rest of the team falls apart and when we can't run with the garbage we have running the ball; we will all come on here and talk about our high draft pick busts. Oline had a bad day. Kudos to the chargers for plaing well. But we have absolutely nothing in those running backs that played today. Tomlin has no choice but to give mendy a chance; he's our only choice really right now.

Neil-Still-Rules-14
12-09-2012, 10:22 PM
who's the one undrafted?
That would be Jim Taylor, Hall of Fame fullback for the Green Bay Packers (1958-66) and New Orleans Saints (1967).

casteeler
12-09-2012, 10:26 PM
Dwyer runs like a Steeler. The offensive line needs to get healthy and find some continuity,Mendy not needed.Once Decastro and Colon are back the running game will come around

austinfrench76
12-09-2012, 11:36 PM
No. But he sholdn't be a healthy scratch. IMO.

SteelersCanada
12-10-2012, 12:54 AM
Dwyer runs like a Steeler. The offensive line needs to get healthy and find some continuity,Mendy not needed.Once Decastro and Colon are back the running game will come around

This is everything that's wrong with the Steelers right now. What does this even mean? He's a one-dimensional, smash mouth runner that can only run up the middle and if that's not open he's ineffective? Maybe it's time to branch away from getting "the next Bettis" and move on to a different style of runner. It's time to change our ideology on running backs - let's look to the next AP and not an overweight, ineffective and out of shape running back like Dwyer and Redman are.

Look at the most successful running backs in the NFL right now - Foster, Forte and Peterson. Are they at all smash mouth runners? This isn't 2005. In this new NFL that's pass happy and based on speed and agility, grabbing a running back that can bounce it outside and still have the strength to run through guys is the new norm. We have to stop looking to the past and look to the future in terms of running backs - we don't have another Bettis. We don't want another Bettis.

tony hipchest
12-10-2012, 01:08 AM
adrian peterson is the most smashmouth runner in the league. he'll knock your freaking block off.

the steelers O-Line still cant open holes on a consistant basis.

our last 2 rushing TD's were dwyer and rainey bouncing it to the outside after running into a wall.

its a shame that dwyer needs a blow after every 2 consecutive rushing attempts.

its also a shame that mendenhall appears to be in tomlins doghouse (possible physical and mental toughness issues???)

BLACK_AND_YELLOW
12-10-2012, 01:29 AM
Mendenhall would not do no better & dont blame Dwyer, blame the o-line ever since Mike Adams went down the run game was not the same just wait until adams and DD comes back them will judge

ricardisimo
12-10-2012, 01:40 AM

Most of those guys either have good lines, or they got eased into the league behind awesome lines. Peterson had a Hutchinson-led line, Rice's line his first few years was super solid. Mendehall could have world-beater talent (and I think he does) but he sees a hole about once every three months, so I'm not sure he knows what to do with one. His girlfriend must have similar complaints.

23 first-rounders
5 second-rounders
1 third-rounder
1 undrafted
Thank you . There's way too much silliness floating around this forum. An occasional dose of
http://worldfamousdesignjunkies.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/serie_whap.jpg
is sorely needed, especially after a Steelers loss. It bears mentioning that one of those top-30 - the universally beloved Jerome Bettis - was a... you guessed it!... 1st round pick.

OX1947
12-10-2012, 01:44 AM
Mendenhall will be out of the league in a couple of years and become some left wing columnist on the Huffington Post. I just do not think he cares about football enough. Which just keeps me in amazement because he is a physical specimen. You do not sit a healthy Mendenhall the way Tomlin is without there being a mental issue going on. Mendenhall seems to be one of those guys that may have reached his limit with the rigors of an athletes life. All the meetings, orders, another man telling him what to do all the time. I get it to some degree, it's just unfortunate that all that talent will be wasted.

TheVet
12-10-2012, 02:44 AM
adrian peterson is the most smashmouth runner in the league. he'll knock your freaking block off.

the steelers O-Line still cant open holes on a consistant basis.

our last 2 rushing TD's were dwyer and rainey bouncing it to the outside after running into a wall.

its a shame that dwyer needs a blow after every 2 consecutive rushing attempts.

its also a shame that mendenhall appears to be in tomlins doghouse (possible physical and mental toughness issues???)

I prematurely thanked Tony for this post - 4 out of 5 good points! But then I clicked and saw point #5, LOL, can I unthank? As for point #5, move over Rover, cause Mendy will be sharing your space for quite awhile. By the way, does this doghouse have a TWITter feed? Woof! Don't drop the chew toy Mendy.
:tt04:
As for the running back issue: Wake up people, News Flash! We have an O-line problem.

ricardisimo
12-10-2012, 03:12 AM
I prematurely thanked Tony for this post - 4 out of 5 good points! But then I clicked and saw point #5, LOL, can I unthank? As for point #5, move over Rover, cause Mendy will be sharing your space for quite awhile. By the way, does this doghouse have a TWITter feed? Woof! Don't drop the chew toy Mendy.
:tt04:
As for the running back issue: Wake up people, News Flash! We have an O-line problem.
I think Dulac called it (http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/report-card-steelers-earn-a-f-against-the-chargers-665742/) correctly. Mendenhall's time on the inactive list ended today.

I'm not sure why people hold Rashard's history against him. His OC his first four seasons couldn't be bothered with developing the running game. Then he got hurt. Then he came back in what would have been record time, but for that slacker up in Minnesota. So much for him being mentally soft. Now he has four years of bad coaching to overcome in a hurry.

bornaSteelersfan
12-10-2012, 05:12 AM
Mendy drops the ball.
Dwyer runs twice and needs a rest.
Redman can't fight through for 1 foot on 4th down.
Rainey is too small.
Who's left?
NO ONE!
I think it is obvious, we need to either draft a RB or trade for one. That's how we got Bettis.

TheVet
12-10-2012, 05:32 AM
I'm not sure why people hold Rashard's history against him. His OC his first four seasons couldn't be bothered with developing the running game.

I don't think we can blame the fumbling, the hesitation, the failure to hit the holes when they're there, the yards left on the table to avoid contact, and the general lack of desire and the low level of effort on the old OC. A player needs to make it happen, and at this point we know Mendy can't or won't.

On the other hand, maybe Arians was responsible for teaching him to sympathize with Osama Bin Laden and the 9/11 truther crazies, and also that the NFL is a slave league, but I don't have any evidence for that. I could buy it though. :chuckle:

El-Gonzo Jackson
12-10-2012, 09:31 AM
Yes, the offense could use a RB that has the speed to get to the edge, yet runs strong enough to break arm tackles. Ryan Matthews showed that could be useful yesterday and Mendenhall is the only RB on the roster with those combined talents.

Stairway to 7
12-10-2012, 10:22 AM
I am foursquare behind the idea of drafting the best RB we can, because this RBBC nonsense does not work, we have FOUR RB's which to me tells me we don't have one.

You need balance in the NFL and we don't have it with the run game.

Terminator
12-10-2012, 10:24 AM
we have FOUR RB's which to me tells me we don't have one.

Hit the nail on the head. :hatsoff:

Stairway to 7
12-10-2012, 10:34 AM
Hit the nail on the head. :hatsoff:

My pleasure. It's obvious, same when you have two QB's, or even three like the Jests, they haven't got one QB.

RBBC does not allow on back to get on-track either.

I don't know who the backs are coming out of college this year but the Steelers need to draft one, will they?

If Hailey wants a strong run game, we have to.

ricardisimo
12-10-2012, 12:02 PM
There's a big difference between having multiple quarterbacks (like every team in the league does) and having straight-up shitty QBs, like the Jets, Cards, KC, and about half the league.

I still say Mendenhall - healthy - would pay big dividends if we were ever patient with him.

TheVet
12-10-2012, 03:04 PM
I still say Mendenhall - healthy - would pay big dividends if we were ever patient with him.

If we were ever patient with him??? We've tried being patient with a healthy Mendenhall for years. The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over, and expecting a different result.

The experiment is over. The results are in. Mendy's a bust for a #1 pick - the headliner in a Steeler draft year filled with busts. Because he was our #1, he's been giving every possible second, third and nth chance.

And Bin Laden did mastermind 9/11.

Darkstorm05
12-10-2012, 03:25 PM
If we were ever patient with him??? We've tried being patient with a healthy Mendenhall for years. The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over, and expecting a different result.

The experiment is over. The results are in. Mendy's a bust for a #1 pick - the headliner in a Steeler draft year filled with busts. Because he was our #1, he's been giving every possible second, third and nth chance.

So what exactly did Mendenhall fail to do for you? He was the 20th ranked RB in the league last year for yardage, and #10 for TDs. The year before that he was 7th in yards and 2nd in TDs. He did this behind a line shittier than the one you're all blaming on Dwyers failure, and he did it with no lead blocker under Arians. He did all this with one of the lowest fumble percentages on the list of top running backs.

So, what's your issue with the guy, other than him not having a 50 pound gut like Dwyer?

ricardisimo
12-10-2012, 04:02 PM

Based on how often you bring up the bin Laden spiel, I suspect I know what your real problem is with Rashard. Fortunately for him and us, he needn't concern himself with your definition of patriotism.

TheVet
12-10-2012, 04:53 PM
Based on how often you bring up the bin Laden spiel, I suspect I know what your real problem is with Rashard. Fortunately for him and us, he needn't concern himself with your definition of patriotism.

Your insinuation is off base. I have problems with Mendenhall both as a football player and as a human being. The football failures came first. The public idiocy came later.

torpedoshell31
12-10-2012, 05:34 PM
I don't think there is any question that Mendenhall is our most talented back. He has all the physical tools that you look for in a franchise back. It is attitude and lack of desire that has him sitting on the bench. I think it was in his second year when Tomlin deactivated him for a game or two because his practice habits were so bad.

TRH
12-10-2012, 06:51 PM
I don't think there is any question that Mendenhall is our most talented back. He has all the physical tools that you look for in a franchise back. It is attitude and lack of desire that has him sitting on the bench. I think it was in his second year when Tomlin deactivated him for a game or two because his practice habits were so bad.

He does have most of the tools - however, he still isn't one of the league's premier back's.
I think its clearly a postion where we are still searching for that "someone".

Curtain_of_Steel
12-10-2012, 06:54 PM
He is better suited for Dancing with the Stars.

Still has yet to learn the hit the holes, IF there are holes running forward without dancing to get there.

Steel Peon
12-10-2012, 07:46 PM
Is it time to start Mendenhall?
No.

big pig
12-10-2012, 09:19 PM
Got to agree with most, cause I said it toward the begining of the season, O LINE is beat up and having a rough time, we moved our all pro center to a pulling gaurd cause he was better in that position than the other choice. And I'll also say it again Tomlin still has one of the least prepaired teams, he can come up big against a good team then lay n egg! glad I could nt watch the game
P.S. Start Mendy