PDA

View Full Version : My boy Anthony Smith

LambertIsGod58
08-12-2006, 07:00 PM
my hometown boy looked good today....I told y'all:bouncy:

SteelShooter
08-12-2006, 07:01 PM
You're right Bro........................I was well impressed!

nicesteel4life
08-12-2006, 07:04 PM
Yes very very impressed with his performance today. He seemed to always be around the ball. Sure did help his cause today with his play.

Haiku_Dirtt
08-12-2006, 07:06 PM
He sure didn't play like a rookie. That speaks volume.

SteelerMurf
08-12-2006, 07:23 PM
:thmbup: He was a human highlight reel today. His hits were hard too. He looked just like his highlight reel from college.

And I love how people cried during the draft that we passed on the guy from USC and Ko Simpson, etc.

tony hipchest
08-12-2006, 07:28 PM
:thmbup: He was a human highlight reel today. His hits were hard too. He looked just like his highlight reel from college.

And I love how people cried during the draft that we passed on the guy from USC and Ko Simpson, etc.

we dont draft football players. we draft steelers.

Midnightwriter07
08-12-2006, 08:16 PM
He did look good today ... I dont know of anyone that cried ( at least not my Steelers friends from here anyway .. I didnt know there was any outrage about him being selected.

melroseplace
08-12-2006, 08:20 PM
definitely looking forward to seeing him play some more

BlackNGold203
08-12-2006, 08:21 PM
He did look good today ... I dont know of anyone that cried ( at least not my Steelers friends from here anyway .. I didnt know there was any outrage about him being selected.

:iagree:

tony hipchest
08-12-2006, 08:22 PM
He did look good today ... I dont know of anyone that cried ( at least not my Steelers friends from here anyway .. I didnt know there was any outrage about him being selected.i think he was just more of an under the radar sleeper pick cause not many knew about him coming from a poor program like syracuse last year. kind of like willie ried being drafted while alot more high profile wr's were still on the board like stovall or nance.

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
08-12-2006, 08:31 PM
I hope he contributes all year long....He was the most impressive player on the team today....He really looked good...

Haiku_Dirtt
08-12-2006, 08:45 PM

Darnell Bing. I'm an SC fan and I didn't want Bing...not a Steeler. We got our guy:bouncy:

Sharkissle29
08-12-2006, 08:54 PM
anthony smith was a stud

I-Want-Troy's-Hair
08-12-2006, 09:21 PM
my hometown boy looked good today....I told y'all:bouncy:

Taz junior. .... a mini-me.

19ward86
08-12-2006, 10:07 PM
i think if he can back that performance up he could be in for a starting job, 12 more tackles and 2 more interceptions might just do it.

TheTruestBlackGoldFan
08-12-2006, 11:04 PM
We finally have a D-back with hands. HORRAY BEER!!!! He deff has a nose for the ball. I like what I saw.

pittsburgh$teelersfan
08-12-2006, 11:18 PM
I agree He is a totally ball hawk.He has great hands.Does anyone have a picture of him when he int those passes.

OX1947
08-12-2006, 11:39 PM
Anthony Smith is a true Free Safety. CHris Hope played out of position, he was really a SS playing FS. But Smith is a true Ballhawk, which is exactly what we need out of him. This will free up Troy to be even more aggressive if he's covering the deep ball and securing the middle of the field. As good as our DBs were in the 90's with Woodson and Lake, this team this year might be the best, depth wise I have seen....

Black@Gold Forever32
08-12-2006, 11:43 PM
I liked the Anthony Smith picked. I loved the fact he blocked six kicks in his college. After today...granted it was just one pre-season game. But he really looked good out there. He made plays on the ball and had some really nice hits. Hey this kid holds onto the INT's unlike Mr. 10 million dollar man Ike Taylor. I like Ike and all but I still think thats way to much to pay Ike.

SteelCzar76
08-13-2006, 12:15 AM
I hope he contributes all year long....He was the most impressive player on the team today....He really looked good...

Smith's play was very impressive. I certainly would like to see him get some practice (and perhaps) preseason game reps with the first unit. It's not that big a stretch to see him winning the starting job if he continues to play the way he did today. I mean sure,... he has to learn the playbook,....but so does Clark.

"Hail Caesar,.....Hail the Black and Gold"

tony hipchest
08-13-2006, 12:23 AM
not even polamalu won the starting job in his 1st year. lebeaus defense isnt the average defense to learn in the nfl. smith can be great (just in time for him to earn a huge payday) probably not this year though. i still remember brady burning polamalu in 2004 for a huge td. i dont wanna see that with smith

SteelCzar76
08-13-2006, 01:37 AM
not even polamalu won the starting job in his 1st year. lebeaus defense isnt the average defense to learn in the nfl. smith can be great (just in time for him to earn a huge payday) probably not this year though. i still remember brady burning polamalu in 2004 for a huge td. i dont wanna see that with smith

I feel you Tone,....lebeau's system is complex. But if Smith is simply just an outright better player,...i think it put's us in a "pick your poison scenario". Because on one hand you'd have a veteran (albeit not elite) player with very little knowledge of our system. And on the other a player whom lacks that same knowledge,....but is younger, more instinctive, hit's harder and is a cerebral ballhawk that creates turnovers. To me they both can be beaten at time's,...... as anyone can,..but Clark isn't exactly Brian Dawkins. And if the Smith outperforms him throughout the remainder of Camp and preseason,.....i say give the kid a shot.

"Hail Caesar,......Hail the Black and Gold"

dSharp
08-13-2006, 07:49 AM
To me there's a couple of things to keep in mind. 1, didn't the defensive players say last week that most of the defense was installed, and they were just honing and teaching the new guys the system? That would mean they've had a good week of rep's in practice to start getting things down, and I would be shocked to know that Lebeau was calling anything that would be considered overly complex in the first pre-season game.

Point being...

Ryan Clark was caught way out of position on a couple plays, one in the redzone. By comparison, later on in the redzone, when that Card's running back ran off tackle, Smith came all the way across from the other side to put a hit on the dude before he got in, while the SS and the CB on that side were getting pushed around.

Living 30 minutes from Syracuse, I've seen a ton of Smith. He definetly has what it takes to beat out Ty Carter, but I want to see Ryan Clark, at the very least, understand where he's supposed to be. If all three guys can at least show the ability to be in the right spot, then it comes down to playmaking, and I don't know enough about Clark (given that scenario) to say Smith will beat him out. But it sure looks like he's got a chance right now.

I was excited about Smith's showing, but I'm trying to keep myself level headed, heh. As everyone has already said, not even Troy cracked the starting lineup as a rookie.

HometownGal
08-13-2006, 09:07 AM
I was very impressed with Anthony Smith's play and his aggressiveness towards the ball. I think this kid has a plethora of talent and you could tell from watching him that he just loved being out there. I don't see him as a starter this season, but I think he will see a lot of playing time if he keeps on playing like he did yesterday. Great start for our secret weapon! :bouncy:

LambertIsGod58
08-13-2006, 10:02 AM
Here is the man of the hour...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v46/Lambert58/smith1.jpg

Black@Gold Forever32
08-13-2006, 01:00 PM
About Anthony Smith starting. Back in 1992 a rookie named Darren Perry started as a rookie. We all know how Perry's career ended up. Perry had a very good career as a Steeler. I never thought he got the full credit he deserved. One thing to remember also about Darren Perry. He was a 8th round pick. We picked Anthony Smith in the third round. I just think if Anthony Smith continues to show he is the better player out there. Then we might just have to live with his growing pains as the starter. Now I'm not ready to throw dirt on top of Ryan Clark just yet. But it was nice to see Smith show case his talent yesterday.

BB2W
08-13-2006, 01:32 PM
He looked great!... I am not suprised. :cool:

redst3
08-13-2006, 05:35 PM
i still remember brady burning polamalu in 2004 for a huge td. i dont wanna see that with smith

I well remember watching troy get better and better that first year. I think it was at about the midway point when he let an interception go right through his hands. I think they were playing the rams if i remember correctly. Then as the games went by, you could literally see him learning from week to week.

I think Smith had a good game, but it was just a first game, and you are right that it will take time and effort for him to develop.

redst3
08-13-2006, 05:37 PM
To me there's a couple of things to keep in mind. 1, didn't the defensive players say last week that most of the defense was installed, and they were just honing and teaching the new guys the system? .

Now that you mention it, there was a noticeable lack of blizting, etc...

Avoid Lloyd
08-13-2006, 05:48 PM
Now that you mention it, there was a noticeable lack of blizting, etc...

Lebeau always hides his hand during the preseason.

dSharp
08-13-2006, 07:25 PM
Which is exactly my point. If they were running a majority of base defenses, then you could obviously see that Clark wasn't in the right spots a few times, which gave up decent gains and/or scores.

A classic picture of Perry talking directly to Clark is on the front page of the Steelers website. If that doesn't prove they were a little worried about his performance and where he's at right now versus where they might've expected him to be, I don't know what is.

Smith will outplay Ty Carter, as he should, IMHO. It'll be between Clark and Smith, so we'll see what happens next game with both of them. I kind of think Clark will get it a little more, but, if Smith already has a little confidence.......

redst3
08-13-2006, 07:36 PM
Maybe he was talking to him about a particular coverage or something. It may not mean too much. I think you are right though that probably something was amiss.

Lyn
08-13-2006, 11:44 PM
My impression re: Smith

1. He looked BIG. I don't know how big he's supposed to be, but he seemed
bigger than Hope or Clark or certainly that smurf.

2. He was around the ball. I think he missed a tackle once, and he may have
been lucky on at least one of the interceptions, but he just seemed to be in and around the ball all the time which is a good thing to me.

3. It's hard to judge speed during the game, but he seemed to be moving plenty
fast at game speed relative to the other players. To me at least.

I was impressed!~

SteelerFanInCA
08-14-2006, 04:23 PM
Smith looked great. I guess nobody really told him that he wasn't competing for a starting job. He should have a bright future with us.

He showed some great athleticism on the interceptions he made.

tony hipchest
08-14-2006, 06:57 PM
I feel you Tone,....lebeau's system is complex. But if Smith is simply just an outright better player,...i think it put's us in a "pick your poison scenario". Because on one hand you'd have a veteran (albeit not elite) player with very little knowledge of our system. And on the other a player whom lacks that same knowledge,....but is younger, more instinctive, hit's harder and is a cerebral ballhawk that creates turnovers. To me they both can be beaten at time's,...... as anyone can,..but Clark isn't exactly Brian Dawkins. And if the Smith outperforms him throughout the remainder of Camp and preseason,.....i say give the kid a shot.

"Hail Caesar,......Hail the Black and Gold"it seems lebeau himself agrees with you:

LeBeau refuses to rule Smith out of the competition to replace Chris Hope. Veterans Ryan Clark and Tyrone Carter are the leading candidates, and the coaching staff apparently has confidence in both.

"I don't think (Smith starting) should be eliminated as a possibility, especially when you can show up and make plays like that," LeBeau said Saturday. "It's good to have the veteran guys there, too. We'll need 'em all. But, yeah, I think (Smith) kind of threw his hat in the ring."

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_465958.html

(great article give several other coaches viewpoint on smith.