PDA

View Full Version : Colon done for season!?

steelfury02
12-10-2012, 11:34 AM
I apologize if someone beat me to it. Here's another tally mark. Crap
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000108743/article/willie-colon-of-steelers-reportedly-done-for-season

Steel_Bus_24
12-10-2012, 11:37 AM
These freaking injuries dash my attempts at staying positive

Man I wish DeCastro could come in and play

SteelersCanada
12-10-2012, 11:39 AM
It's time to put in DeCastro. I have nothing against Legursky, but DeCastro was our first round pick for a reason. Stop fucking around with Pouncey at LG and just put David out there and see what he can do.

steelfury02
12-10-2012, 11:40 AM
this team just needs to go all out now, no matter the outcome - let's see some fuckin spitfire.

steelfury02
12-10-2012, 11:45 AM
It's time to put in DeCastro. I have nothing against Legursky, but DeCastro was our first round pick for a reason. Stop fucking around with Pouncey at LG and just put David out there and see what he can do.

that really is a toss up for me. When the negative cards stack up do you put DeCastro out there, and possibly risk setting back his rehab, save him for next season - or, do you get him healthy for the playoffs (if they make it)

Steel_Bus_24
12-10-2012, 11:46 AM
Expect the A-Gap Pressure with Press Coverage to continue

Im not sure SD lined up their MLBs anywhere else on Sunday.....They had our snap count zero'd in on and were teeing off

Our freaking WRs better get nasty and start making teams pay for that Madden Ball sh**

SteelersCanada
12-10-2012, 11:59 AM
that really is a toss up for me. When the negative cards stack up do you put DeCastro out there, and possibly risk setting back his rehab, save him for next season - or, do you get him healthy for the playoffs (if they make it)

I see what you're saying. But, if Colon's down I don't think we have another option. I mean, I don't think they would have brought David onto the active roster if he wasn't healthy enough to play but they didn't want to disrupt the chemistry that the line had about midway through the season - which is understandable. Now, our offensive line is in shambles (again) and we have a (potentially) Pro Bowl guard just sitting on the bench while Doug Legursky is going in? That doesn't sit right with me.

Let our Pro Bowl Center play Center, and let David go in at Guard. Legursky is a hell'uva backup, but that's all he'll ever be - a backup.

steelfury02
12-10-2012, 12:14 PM
I see what you're saying. But, if Colon's down I don't think we have another option. I mean, I don't think they would have brought David onto the active roster if he wasn't healthy enough to play but they didn't want to disrupt the chemistry that the line had about midway through the season - which is understandable. Now, our offensive line is in shambles (again) and we have a (potentially) Pro Bowl guard just sitting on the bench while Doug Legursky is going in? That doesn't sit right with me.

Let our Pro Bowl Center play Center, and let David go in at Guard. Legursky is a hell'uva backup, but that's all he'll ever be - a backup.

true, now that you said that, I did see him dressed, didn't I?

ZoneBlitzer
12-10-2012, 12:44 PM
Colon has the ferocity and attitude that is needed on that offense. He will be sorely missed.

Fire Arians
12-10-2012, 12:44 PM
not good.

Terminator
12-10-2012, 01:13 PM
All-Pro Center and we move him to fucking guard.

Tomlin is still great, though, right guyz???!!!!

LVSteelersfan
12-10-2012, 01:14 PM
Colon has way too many mental errors out there with the false starts. Not to mention he can't seem to stay on the field. How many games has he managed to play in the past three seasons? Not many.

STEELAMANIA
12-10-2012, 02:16 PM
Colon's false starts will not be missed, and he isn't as effective when he plays hurt anyway.

steelfury02
12-10-2012, 02:25 PM
yea, I've had my beef with Colon being able to stay on the field. I really thought that Cincy game was a turning point for him, and this team, as well as the Giants team.

ChampsOrBust
12-10-2012, 02:29 PM
Decastro was on the field goal team sunday. I remember seeing the number then took another glance and he has been out there. i don't know why they wouldn't put him in he is gonna be great.

teegre
12-10-2012, 02:57 PM
Starks - DD - Pouncey - Foster - Beachum

That is all.

steelfury02
12-10-2012, 02:58 PM

That is all.

funny - most teams have problems with blind side - exact opposite in our sitch

teegre
12-10-2012, 02:59 PM
funny - most teams have problems with blind side - exact opposite in our sitch

So true.

TheVet
12-10-2012, 03:15 PM
Man, I'm conflicted about Colon. I love the aggressiveness and effort, but his stupid penalties really hurt the team, and they don't seem to be going away. He's got all the tools, but he just can't seem to get his head right.

That is all.

With this line, I think it would be Starks - Foster - Pouncey - DD - Beachum. Strategically they're going to want DD at his natural position, and Foster is just a depth player anyway.

teegre
12-10-2012, 03:21 PM
Man, I'm conflicted about Colon. I love the aggressiveness and effort, but his stupid penalties really hurt the team, and they don't seem to be going away. He's got all the tools, but he just can't seem to get his head right.

With this line, I think it would be Starks - Foster - Pouncey - DD - Beachum. Strategically they're going to want DD at his natural position, and Foster is just a depth player anyway.

Good points.

The Colon bugs the crap out of me (puns intended). He'd block the snot out of someone... and then get called for a false start. The holds are what they are (bad hand placement), but the false starts are inexcusable.

DD at RG does make a lot of sense. That said, Foster has played there for two seasosn... But, DD is going to play RG evenetually. Good thing for my brain to gnaw on...

TheVet
12-10-2012, 03:38 PM
DD at RG does make a lot of sense. That said, Foster has played there for two seasosn... But, DD is going to play RG evenetually. Good thing for my brain to gnaw on...
Yeah, I'm thinking that DD is a rookie, and he was 100% focused on RG during the preseason. And in fact, he had won the starting position there - frankly, he was the best looking offensive lineman in the preseason. So that gives him the best chance at success. Meanwhile, as a depth player, Foster has position flexibility.

I'm looking at this lineup, and I see only two players that are part of our future above-the-line OL at their natural positions. Starks and Foster are proven depth players, and Beachum's upside is unknown at this point. OL continues to be our biggest problem, although we've made some strides. But OT is still a big hole, with Gilbert regressing, Adams struggling and Beachum unproven. Amazingly, Starks is still the best we've got, and that's at-the-line journeyman-level.

teegre
12-10-2012, 07:09 PM
Yeah, I'm thinking that DD is a rookie, and he was 100% focused on RG during the preseason. And in fact, he had won the starting position there - frankly, he was the best looking offensive lineman in the preseason. So that gives him the best chance at success. Meanwhile, as a depth player, Foster has position flexibility.

I'm looking at this lineup, and I see only two players that are part of our future above-the-line OL at their natural positions. Starks and Foster are proven depth players, and Beachum's upside is unknown at this point. OL continues to be our biggest problem, although we've made some strides. But OT is still a big hole, with Gilbert regressing, Adams struggling and Beachum unproven. Amazingly, Starks is still the best we've got, and that's at-the-line journeyman-level.

I've always felt that Starks was underappreciated and/or undervalued. He has been a solid LT.

Q: How many years doe she have left? And, will he even be brought back? I hope that Gilbert, Beachum, and/or Adams pan out as the LT & RT.

I was hoping to get a few years out of The Colon, but it appears that LG might become a draft priority. Ugh.

Steel_Bus_24
12-10-2012, 07:21 PM
I've always felt that Starks was underappreciated and/or undervalued. He has been a solid LT.

Q: How many years doe she have left? And, will he even be brought back? I hope that Gilbert, Beachum, and/or Adams pan out as the LT & RT.

I was hoping to get a few years out of The Colon, but it appears that LG might become a draft priority. Ugh.

Yep we're going to need another prognosis of The Colon in the off-season to see if hes ready for the long haul http://forums.steelersfever.com/images/icons/icon12.gif

teegre
12-10-2012, 07:38 PM
Yep we're going to need another prognosis of The Colon in the off-season to see if hes ready for the long haul http://forums.steelersfever.com/images/icons/icon12.gif

I'll leave that up to you.

It's a messy job, but someone has to do it. :wink02:

SteelersCanada
12-10-2012, 07:43 PM
LG shouldn't become a priority. Bring back Foster and throw David at RG - problem solved.

edit - Colon isn't worth 5 million / year, not even close. He won't be brought back next year.

Steel_Bus_24
12-10-2012, 07:46 PM
I'll leave that up to you.

It's a messy job, but someone has to do it. :wink02:

I know some don't want to hear it, but I really hope our Training staff takes a step back looks and sees if theres more they could do to keep the OL on the Field Longer into the Season/Post Season

We can't keep losing 3 of 5 OL every season

SteelersCanada
12-10-2012, 07:50 PM
I know some don't want to hear it, but I really hope our Training staff takes a step back looks and sees if theres more they could do to keep the OL on the Field Longer into the Season/Post Season

We can't keep losing 3 of 5 OL every season

2 of the 3 have been complete freak accidents. There's no amount of training you can have to prevent Gilbert getting pushed on DeCastro and losing him for 13 weeks.

Terminator
12-10-2012, 09:00 PM
2 of the 3 have been complete freak accidents. There's no amount of training you can have to prevent Gilbert getting pushed on DeCastro and losing him for 13 weeks.

The problem with Gilbert is he has done this 3 times now. (falling on a lineman and injuring them)

SteelersCanada
12-10-2012, 09:21 PM
The problem with Gilbert is he has done this 3 times now. (falling on a lineman and injuring them)

Ya, I mean, there's something to be said for that. It could be improper positioning or technique, but it's not conditioning or anything with the training staff. I think that it's just that Gilbert is unaware of his surroundings when he's on the field. This can be fixed, though, which is a good thing.

Fire Haley
12-10-2012, 09:33 PM
Best thing coulda happened to us, IMHO

It was obvious that Legs at center and Pouncey at LG make's for a more efficient and athletic OL...and maybe less false starts

Sorry Willie

austinfrench76
12-10-2012, 10:12 PM
Not sure it matters. Until this team finds an identity, we can put Ponucey at Full Back and they will beat the good teams and lose to the sub 500's. So damn frustrating! But, it does hurt to lose Colon IMO.

Fire Haley
12-10-2012, 10:15 PM
Pouncey at LG and Legs at center gives us the best chance to win >>> Coach Killer

GoFor7
12-10-2012, 10:16 PM
Pouncey at LG and Legs at center gives us the best chance to win >>> Coach Killer

No, Pouncey is one of the better centers in the game. DeCastro is healthy, put him in at guard.

Fire Haley
12-10-2012, 10:19 PM
DeCastro is NOT ready to play, no matter the smokescreen, or else he would be playing

yes, it's that simple

GoFor7
12-10-2012, 10:23 PM
DeCastro is NOT ready to play, no matter the smokescreen, or else he would be playing

yes, it's that simple

Then they should IR him. Otherwise, play him. You don't displace you're best center when you don't have to.

SteelersCanada
12-10-2012, 10:45 PM

yes, it's that simple

I don't think that's it. I think they didn't want to disrupt chemistry with the guys that were playing, but now that chemistry is gone. They didn't know if Colon could go the last two games and was a gametime decision and didn't want to throw DeCastro in after not getting first team reps all week and decided it was best to go with veteran experience over a rookie.

Now that we know Colon can't go and DeCastro can take first team reps all week would help enormously. This could potentially mean he'll be the starting LG this week and I hope he is.

PhantomJB93
12-10-2012, 11:09 PM
I hope they let DD play this week unless he's really not healthy yet. I don't like the Pouncey at guard stuff, not one bit, but until Mike Adams is healthy again I don't like Beachum in at RT, so I'd roll with Starks-Pouncey-Legursky-DD-Foster until we can shift back to Starks-DD-Pouncey-Foster-Adams.

TheVet
12-10-2012, 11:26 PM
If we're worried about continuity of OL chemistry, the coaches can just have the left guard throw in a few false starts. Everyone will feel right at home.

Stairway to 7
12-11-2012, 06:10 AM
How many years is that he's gotten hurt now?

12 games played in the last two years.

Terminator
12-11-2012, 07:14 AM
This is the 3rd season in a row that this slug has not finished a full season. And he's getting paid 5 million?

pete74
12-11-2012, 02:47 PM
Im eager to see DeCastro take his spot this week

Fire Haley
12-11-2012, 03:09 PM
well shiver me timbers

there you have it

DeCastro to start at RG, Foster to LG

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2012/12/decastro-set-to-make-first-career-start-against-cowboys/

Fire Arians
12-11-2012, 03:10 PM

nice, i'm looking forward to seeing him in action this weekend!

hopefully this will spark our running game some

GoFor7
12-11-2012, 03:12 PM
well shiver me timbers

there you have it

DeCastro to start at RG, Foster to LG

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2012/12/decastro-set-to-make-first-career-start-against-cowboys/

Well this won't make the Pouncey to LG, Legursky to center gang happy.

Fire Arians
12-11-2012, 03:13 PM

pouncey sucked at guard, sorry

pete74
12-11-2012, 03:16 PM
pouncey sucked at guard, sorry

Agree. He did look bad. He really hasnt been himself most of the year. Hopefully he steps it up for the playoffs witg DeCastroo next to him.

Fire Haley
12-11-2012, 03:17 PM

that was the best option with the bodies available at the time - if he's healthy, stick him in

can it get any worse?

Riddle_Of_Steel
12-11-2012, 03:18 PM
Agree. He did look bad. He really hasnt been himself most of the year. Hopefully he steps it up for the playoffs witg DeCastroo next to him.

For Pouncey, "stepping it up for the playoffs" means "injure your ankle".

Are we really in such trouble that we are excited about a rookie Olineman coming in to save our season?

Yup.

steelfury02
12-11-2012, 03:24 PM

Are we really in such trouble that we are excited about a rookie Olineman coming in to save our season?

Yup.

lol yes indeedy!:thumbsup:

TRH
12-11-2012, 03:34 PM

god, i hope he doesn't re-injure or aggravate that thing.................

steelfury02
12-11-2012, 03:40 PM
god, i hope he doesn't re-injure or aggravate that thing.................

he will lol

teegre
12-11-2012, 03:42 PM

Yup.

Pouncey's recurring injury to his ankle was surgically repaired in the off-season.

The last player that I was this excited about was BB. Yes, I think that DD is indeed "that good."