PDA

View Full Version : The Game

Lyn
08-12-2006, 06:33 PM
Not very exciting, but Ben looked ready. The rookie receivers looked OK and that rookie safety looks like he might really be something. Omar settled down after a bad first series.

83-Steelers-43
08-12-2006, 06:39 PM
Just to name a few.......

Thought Duce looked good.

Thought both Holmes and Reid looked good. Holmes ended up with what? 4 or 5 catches?

Thought Keisel looked good.

Thought Anthony Smith looked good.

Thought Colclough played solid.

Defense needs to step it up on 3rd downs. This wouldn't be that much of a concern for me if it wasn't our 1st string getting toasted on 3rd downs.

Bottomline: It's preseason.

Dook
08-12-2006, 06:43 PM
Ben looked ok, his internal clock seemed to be working.

The screen pass was working well for us, not sure how long that is going to last.

I didn't get to see as much from Duce as I would have liked. Maybe next game we'll get to see him get some carries with the 1st team OL?

I think Santonio Holmes looked good, one bad play he caused an interception though. They used him on crossing routes instead of post patterns so we didn't get to see his breakaway speed.

Willie Reid looked okay, I like that he goes straight up field when he gets the kickoffs but he didn't break anything today. He looks capable as a WR also.

Quincy had his chance and muffed it. What else is new?

Nate Washington seemed average, some good, some bad.

We really passed the ball a lot today. Kind of makes me worry a bit.

Kurt Warner sure picked apart our first team defense on that first series. He didn't have a lot of time either.

83-Steelers-43
08-12-2006, 06:47 PM
I thought we gave him too much time if anything......

BBC
08-12-2006, 06:48 PM
He didn't have a lot of time either.

Were you and I watching the same game? Kurt had all kinds of time out there today. Give any quarterback that amount of time and he'll be able to pick apart any secondary.

Haiku_Dirtt
08-12-2006, 06:51 PM
SOMEHOW I missed the first hour:dang:

Did I hear Casey got injured!? And was Ike Taylor getting burned or did I see the replays incorrectly?

The second half defensive line took too long to settle down. What was up with the mistackles. Frazier and Vickers finally started to get it going. Smith is a beauty.

Same with the O-line. Some good plays and some bad plays by Colon but I like him. Kemoeatu didn't get a chance to show us his skill blocking downfield because of the broken play but was quick to get into position. He got smoked and nearly gave up the sack but did have good blocks.

Phillips looked a little shaky.

We have a horse race at the receiver position. Reid proved he'll go up, get it and hold on.

Humes is what I think he is. He lacked that extra gear - the play calling got him out there and I was waiting and waiting and waiting. I'd lean towards 3 RBs. Oh yeah. Kuhn proved that the practice squad still can work.

SteelerMurf
08-12-2006, 06:53 PM
I didn't hear about Casey....what happened

SteelShooter
08-12-2006, 07:07 PM
Kurt had waaaaay too much time.

Casey got hurt???? He seemed fine to me, did I miss something?

Midnightwriter07
08-12-2006, 07:13 PM
I didnt hear about Casey getting hurt nor did i see anything on the wire or post game report of it... but you did see " Mr 10 million dollar, I ma one of the best corners in the league cause my agent tells me so" get beat yes.

BlackNGold203
08-12-2006, 07:13 PM
I think Santonio Holmes looked good, one bad play he caused an interception though. They used him on crossing routes instead of post patterns so we didn't get to see his breakaway speed.

LOL....

a 7 yard curl thrown about 137 mph by Boyd.....jerry freakin Rice doesnt catch that ball....

BlackNGold203
08-12-2006, 07:15 PM
I didnt hear about Casey getting hurt nor did i see anything on the wire or post game report of it... but you did see " Mr 10 million dollar, I ma one of the best corners in the league cause my agent tells me so" get beat yes.

Are we gonna be Ike Taylor hatin' after the 1st preseason game???

bratsinmybelly
08-12-2006, 07:32 PM
At this point I'm just glad to be discussing an actual game. Pre-season or not.......FOOTBALL IS BACK!!!! Just to see the Black & Gold out there brings a tear to my eye & a brat to my belly! So who cares if we were a little flat? If I remember right, we always look like crap in the PS anyway. Of course, the heatburn has died down & I'm looking at things through some major beer goggles (11 & counting) but I couldn't possibly be happier!! :toast:

GO STEELERS!!!!!!

BlackNGold203
08-12-2006, 07:39 PM
At this point I'm just glad to be discussing an actual game. Pre-season or not.......FOOTBALL IS BACK!!!! Just to see the Black & Gold out there brings a tear to my eye & a brat to my belly! So who cares if we were a little flat? If I remember right, we always look like crap in the PS anyway. Of course, the heatburn has died down & I'm looking at things through some major beer goggles (11 & counting) but I couldn't possibly be happier!! :toast:

GO STEELERS!!!!!!

Did you take the two Tums???

:cool: :cool:

bratsinmybelly
08-12-2006, 07:45 PM
Did you take the two Tums???

:cool: :cool:

Didn't need 'em. We finally scored a touchdown! I will take them later though!! I don't want them to interfere with the beer buzz!:busted:

Sharkissle29
08-12-2006, 08:03 PM
willie reid suprised me a bit a WR. made some nice grabs

bratsinmybelly
08-12-2006, 08:08 PM
willie reid suprised me a bit a WR. made some nice grabs

Gonna be a gamer! Super speed. I love the speed of this team. They didn't show it today, but man we have some burners.

stlrtruck
08-12-2006, 08:54 PM
Yeah, I wasn't too impressed with the whole output of the game but at least it was football and that was what I needed.

I think the 1st team offense did well until they got inside the 30. I was a little upset they couldn't convert.

I'm a little concerned that 1st team defense gave up the third down plays like they did. But it is the first pre-season game.

I was impressed with Kuhn. I thought Duce could have run better but it's been almost a year for him.

Santonio did good. I think Reid could out do him quickly.

I think Boyd needs to get back to basics and Omar Jacobs I thought looked pretty good. He's a little rough around the edges but he's got potential.

bratsinmybelly
08-12-2006, 09:10 PM
Is it just me or did AZ seem to take this game way too seriously? They played their 1st string deep into the first half, they didn't seem to be rotating their players out very frequently at all. Maybe the most important thing for them is to try and get some momentum of any kind, but I just got the feeling that they were REALLY trying to win this game and not trying to evaluate their talent. I thought it was kind of amusing. Maybe it just looked that way because they outplayed us, but I don't think so.

19ward86
08-12-2006, 09:10 PM
i didnt see the game but with only 1 sack i dont think they pressured the qb enough. big problem.were there any injuries for the steelers?

Indy_Steelers
08-12-2006, 09:19 PM
I think our run defense was by far the best part of the game. James had 2 runs for -2 yards. I thought Holmes had a good KO return. Ben did a good job ducking the first sack. I forgot about Boyd but he looked good. We do need to work on the pass deffense. Hope Porter and Ward are ready for the next game.

bratsinmybelly
08-12-2006, 09:21 PM
i didnt see the game but with only 1 sack i dont think they pressured the qb enough. big problem.were there any injuries for the steelers?

There were some posts earlier about a Casey Hampton injury. I haven't heard or read any more about it so I don't think it's accurate. As far as big problems, I don't think we need to worry about anything just yet. Our 1st teamers played for about 2 series and that's it. At one point I think we called like 12 passes in a row and we were only down by 6 so obviously this game was pure talent evaluation for us. Unfortunately, some of that talent played horribly. But there were some bright spots as well. I'm looking forward to the coming weeks to see how this team develops.

SteelerMurf
08-12-2006, 09:55 PM
We have some big decisions involving the passing game....I think that is why we passed so much.

TheTruestBlackGoldFan
08-12-2006, 10:11 PM
LOL....

a 7 yard curl thrown about 137 mph by Boyd.....jerry freakin Rice doesnt catch that ball....

I wanted to blame Santonio but he jumped a good 4 feet in the air to catch that one, got undercut by some cardinals dude and had broken hands from Boyd throwing a "137mph" pass 7 yards.

Boyd's balls never wobble, they are moving too fast for air to act on them. There was also a point where the ball literally left the screen because the camera couldn't track it.

wiqidjuggalo
08-12-2006, 10:35 PM
There were some posts earlier about a Casey Hampton injury. I haven't heard or read any more about it so I don't think it's accurate.

"We got through the game with really no injuries," Cowher said. "That's the good news, but from an execution standpoint, we've got a long way to go, and I think that was very evident today." <<<nfl.com

Black@Gold Forever32
08-12-2006, 10:47 PM
LOL....

No kidding and the ball was freakin high. People have to remember that Santonio is only 5-11. I thought Santonio and Willie Reid showed that they both can be WR's in this league. If only Boyd had more touch on his down field passes then Willie could have had a bunch of big plays today.

Black@Gold Forever32
08-12-2006, 10:59 PM
People have to remember thats its only pre-season. So really no worries for me. The only thing that matters in a pre-season game is not having anybody lost to injuries. The Steelers came out of this game without any. So to me it was a win.

But some of the things that I wanted to see did happen. I wanted to see Santonio Holmes and Willie Reid show that they can play in this league. Trust me I know its only one pre-season game. But I was really happy with what I seen out of them today.

I wanted to see Ben look like the old Ben and I thought Ben was his old self. The way he moved around in the pocket and escaped the pass rush. Thats the Ben we have come to know and love.

I really thought Brett Keisel looked very good. I loved he stuffed Edge for that 2 yard loss. But Anthony Smith I mean wow what a debut. I know its just pre-season. But the kid looked very good today.

HburgXL06
08-12-2006, 11:00 PM
Overall we looked rough. That is attributed to the fact that we had a mix of different strings and players in on a lot of plays. We made Kurt Warner to Johnson or Fitz look good. We stuffed James a few times which I liked to see.

I could tell that every WR and RB was gunnin for a top spot by how they were playin and goin for the big play which I liked to see as you get to see some good potential for the regular season.

-Washington looked to be competin fierce for a spot on the roster. I saw him dive for a few balls and in general just gave me an impression that he is hungry to be a top receiver.
-Holmes came out and looked promising. After all the bullshit this offseason I liked to see how pumped and ready to go he looked at the beginnin of the game and he made some decent plays in the game.
-Morgan had one pass that he should have caught. He needs to work on his hands and catch the ball before he starts to run.
-Reid seemed to be gettin a lot of opportunities. Had he had a better quarterback throwin to him we would have had at least 14 more on the board.
-Boyd looked to be tryin too hard almost. He did not wait long enough on some plays for a receiver to open up before tryin to run the ball downfield. When he did pass he seemed to only be able to throw bullets. Multiple times he had a receiver have the ball bounce off of him or his fingertips because of the force behind the throw. If Boyd wants to play in the NFL he is goin to have to learn how to pass in more ways than one.
-Roethlisberger and Batch both looked strong and confident. Roethlisberger was able to dodge several sack attempts and showed he was able to take a hit or two. Batch looked smooth and at ease in the time he played.
-Jacobs has potential and will become a strong back-up in time. He showed that he has the ability to throw the ball multiple ways and even helped the Steelers get a touchdown at the end of the game wit a pass that had just a slight amount of loft to it that got it over the D and into the hands of the receiver....who I have no idea who he was.
-Duce looked strong and healthy and with the first string OL in he should be able to make a few dents in some DLs.
-Parker looked mature and ready to become the startin RB. On mulitple plays he was able to break multiple tackles before bein taken down. On a couple occasions it appeared to me that if he had gotten through one more tackle it would have been a sprint to the end zone for him. If he keeps up the footwork + his speed he will be celebratin in the end zone before the DL knows where he went.
-Humes came out as the new rookie but hungry as well (sensing a pattern here?) His first play in the game he made a great tackle after an interception. While this did not give example to his runnin abilities it did show that he was 1) able to think fast on the fly to stop a play after a turnover 2) not afraid to go after and make a big tackle even with his inexperience. Later he caught a pass from Jacobs and made a strong run to the 6 yard line. With experience and tutorin that play will become one where he will make it to the end zone.
-Clark looked comfortable and aggressive in his time on the field and seems to be gellin' (not "gelling" lol) well the Steelers system.
-Polomalu. Troy was Troy. Meaning that he was all over the field and makin the big plays. He took some bullshit heat from a cards OLineman that a lesser man would have started a fight over on the field (anyone else see the replay where he got shoved outta nowhere?). Overall I think that they need to get Troy, Clark, and the DBs all on the same page since today they seemed somewhat disorganized and "doin their own thing" on the field on several occasions.
-Ike Taylor: if you want that cash, then stop that pass! He has tremendous talent and ability, but we didn't see much of it today.
-Anthony Smith was by far the standout player of the day. He had two picks and seemed to be followin the ball in a Troy-esque fashion. If him and Troy do pair up in the future our secondary might cease to be a curtain and just become a straight up wall of Steel!
-Joey Porter, please come back soon. You are an intimidatin force on the field and great at turnin QBs into human grass stains.
-Foote made several big plays and was the strong performer in today's DL. I especially liked his lil celebration variation of Joey Porter's "kick" where he did the "Foote."

That's my breakdown of the game and players' performance. It's all from memory so feel free to comment if I missed anythin. Overall we did look rough but as I said I saw a lot of fire in the eyes of players as they competed for top positions on the roster. I was left wit a positive outlook on the season by this game and look forward to next week to see their progression. I should say that I am not perfect and my comments were just my thoughts about certain players that stood out and showed potential. Feel free to comment on anythin. Peace.

BuFu

Haiku_Dirtt
08-12-2006, 11:52 PM
But it is the first pre-season game.

I was impressed with Kuhn

I think Boyd needs to get back to basics and Omar Jacobs I thought looked pretty good. He's a little rough around the edges but he's got potential.

Yes first preseaon game. That's why I'm chillin' or trying to.

But it seems like Boyd does kinda have the basics - meaning he knew where he wanted to go. He just couldn't get it there. Is it because he'll never have what it takes to be a back-up or can he still evolve??? And is that a job for Whipple?

He's not a college senior. Kuhn proved he deserves more preseason time. He looked quicker than Humes and Humes had the brigade clearing the way.

Haiku_Dirtt
08-12-2006, 11:56 PM
There were some posts earlier about a Casey Hampton injury. I haven't heard or read any more about it so I don't think it's accurate..

That was my error!! :sorry: :bricks:

I heard Casey and injury as I kicked on the TV...cleaning my ears out today.

bratsinmybelly
08-13-2006, 12:18 AM
That was my error!! :sorry: :bricks:

I heard Casey and injury as I kicked on the TV...cleaning my ears out today.

I've had 19 beers and said I was going to bed an hour ago. Pretty much everything I post from this point forward will be a mistake!:chug: :shake01: :freddy:

HburgXL06
08-13-2006, 12:48 AM
I've had 19 beers and said I was going to bed an hour ago. Pretty much everything I post from this point forward will be a mistake!:chug: :shake01: :freddy:

Lol. It's all good man. Just ask a few posters here what I'm like when I post on here "intoxicated."

By the way I sent you a PM. But don't open it until you are sober or you'll never figure it out. I put a warnin on the title of it. Just givin you a heads up. Peace.

BuFu

Haiku_Dirtt
08-13-2006, 02:18 AM
No kidding and the ball was freakin high. People have to remember that Santonio is only 5-11. I thought Santonio and Willie Reid showed that they both can be WR's in this league. If only Boyd had more touch on his down field passes then Willie could have had a bunch of big plays today.

I missed the Keisel stuff.:dang: :dang: :dang: Right on with Willie II. And he topped it off with going up high to craddle one in - announcer called it a good pass and I'm thinking Reid thought it was a great catch. Exposing your rib cage for impact did not make that a good pass just a good play. Santonio too. Hell he had the balls to risk the amputation of his wrists as Boyd launched an RPG at short range.

Smith. Yes it wasn't Troy going flypaper on Manning at close range. But how sweet to see him make that pick with McFadden covering like Gary Payton...glove.

FLY on the wall moment...I don't know if you caught that exchange near the end of the game with McFadden and Cowher. McFadden clearly had his ear. And Cowher was clearly intrigued by what he was saying. Hmmm.

Outside of the first hour that I missed the tackling sucked.

What is up with Kuhn though?

Midnightwriter07
08-13-2006, 03:39 AM
Are we gonna be Ike Taylor hatin' after the 1st preseason game???

nha, just pointing out that he looked bad today, and maybe him and his agent might wanna reconsider there salary demands

HburgXL06
08-13-2006, 03:45 AM
FLY on the wall moment...I don't know if you caught that exchange near the end of the game with McFadden and Cowher. McFadden clearly had his ear. And Cowher was clearly intrigued by what he was saying. Hmmm.

Any thoughts on what he was sayin to Cowher? Just wonderin.

BuFu

Stlrs4Life
08-13-2006, 10:06 AM
Not very exciting, but Ben looked ready. The rookie receivers looked OK and that rookie safety looks like he might really be something. Omar settled down after a bad first series.

I believe they looked pretty good minus our 3rd down Defense. But, I don't think we showed very much. and maybe our 1st string CBs are playin not to get hurt. If Ike wants a bigger payday, he needs to step it up. But I think it was more of him just taking the reps.

LambertIsGod58
08-13-2006, 10:19 AM
I'd hope to think that no one is going all out...it is pre-season. I'm not worried. If they are playing like this in Sept..then I'll worry.

rowedf
08-13-2006, 11:54 AM
Did James Harrison change his number to 97? He started, but the retardo annoucing crew of pompeanni and nelson called him "arnold" Harrison ... and it really didnt look like James Harrison ... this guy seemed taller and lean.

BBC
08-13-2006, 04:34 PM
http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/412364

http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/303162

AZ_Steeler
08-14-2006, 01:21 PM
The bottom line is, it's pre-season and the Steelers didn't want to ruin the Cardinals first ever game in the new stadium. The Steelers played not to get hurt and to really see what the new guys and those on the bubble could do. Plus, when the home team is keeping their starters on the field for the entire first half of the game, you know they are really wanting the win. If anything, the Cardinals should be worried because they weren't really able to put up many points against the Steelers second team.

All in all the Steelers looked good, Ben was getting some preasure but that'll get worked out. Running game was there, passing game wasn't bad defense didn't look all there but first team didn't play a whole lot. We'll see how things are last pre-season game.

SteelerFanInCA
08-14-2006, 01:45 PM
LOL....

Yeah, that thing was a fricking rocket. No way in hell he is catching that ball. I think Santonio was probably surprised the ball was thrown that hard.

SteelerFanInCA
08-14-2006, 01:47 PM
If the 1st string defense is still playing like this during the 4th preseason game I'll worry but for now it's just preseason. Our D will be ready of the Sept. 7th opener.