PDA

View Full Version : "Why can't we be like the Pats...."

ETL
12-10-2012, 11:20 PM
Admit it - don't you wish our offense and team was like the Pats? They go up 42-7 on teams like Houston, routinely score 40+ points and blow out the weak teams like they should. . In short, they act and behave as a dominant team should.

In contrast, the Steelers lose to teams with losing records such as the Chargers, Browns, Raiders and Titans. They are "Jekyll and Hyde", "bipolar", they "do not have an identity" and they wimper to wins over lowly teams like KC. They never seem to blow out an opponent and rarely score 40+ points.

So don't you wish we were like the Pats? If you deny it - just look at what you posted in the past 24 hrs. It sure sounds like you wish the Steelers won like the Patriots. Wouldn't rooting for a team that plays and wins like the Pats cure all your Steeler angst?

Before you think of me as a traitor - let me tell you why I like the Steelers just the way they are. The Pats are good and just like the Steelers, they give their fans the opportunity to win the Super Bowl year in and year out - which is all we fans can realistically ask for. However, the Steelers have a better defense and generally play football that allows their defense to be be on the field less than they have to. The Steelers generally win the time of possession battle and they do this by being dedicated to running the ball and winding down the clock. This means that we air it out less, play more ball control and score less.

Have we been successful? You bet. Since 2005, the Steelers have gone to 3 Super Bowls and won 2. The Pats have gone to 2 Super Bowls and won 0. When it comes to crunch time, teams seem to be able to stop the Pats high powered offense and find ways to score on their defense.

Do you think the Pats fans are eternally happy because their team "dominates"? Wrong. Just like any other team's message board - there are always things to gripe about. Calls to fire Belichick and sit Brady were rampant after the loss to the Cardinals and the Pat's 1-2 start. See its not always greener on the other side.

Do the Pats have a chance to win the SB this year? Absolutely! They are a good team - but I like our Steelers just fine, thank you, and recent history seems to favor how the Steelers like to play football. It may be boring, inconsistent and anger / anxiety provoking at times but every now and then, they put it all together and reward us fans with a SB win.

Go Steelers.

StainlessStill
12-10-2012, 11:23 PM
Traitor? Are you kidding? I may be a Steelers diehard, but there's NOTHING wrong in wanting to beat teams the way New England does on a weekly basis, which is kick the absolute living DOGSHIT out of you!

I'm still trying to wrap my fucking head around what I witnessed in front of me yesterday, against a West Coast team, traveling to Pittsburgh, in the elements, their head coach practically fired with nothing to play for and completely dismantling us while Tom Brady continues to scorch the #1 team in the AFC Conference with his eyes closed by 30+ points!

StainlessStill
12-10-2012, 11:29 PM
Meanwhile, our franchise QB is coming off his yearly 3-game stretch with injury and is greeted by RAPID fuckin' FIRE. It's ridiculous.

GoFor7
12-10-2012, 11:30 PM
Because scoring too many points is classless. Honestly whenever the Steelers would win by more than 17 points I would be ashamed. To me that just shows that Ben only cares about his stats. I mean why keep pouring it on another team's defense when you could just sit on the ball and put more pressure on your defense?

:coffee:

ETL
12-10-2012, 11:31 PM
Meanwhile, our franchise QB is coming off his yearly 3-game stretch with injury and is greeted by RAPID fuckin' FIRE. It's ridiculous.

So do you think that Brady's success is mostly based on his OL play?

ZoneBlitzer
12-10-2012, 11:32 PM
They're better coached that's for sure. Their execution is consistently excellent and their game planning is often second to none. They are absolutely destroying the Texans in every phase the game. Even their so called weak defense has completely dominated. I can see them reaching the SB again. They are perennial contenders it seems.

Steel_Bus_24
12-10-2012, 11:33 PM
I want to see progress as the season goes on......what exactly have we gotten better at over the course of this season???

The Steelers need to quit FFFing around and start acting like they want what all the fans want

We have 3 games left to get into shape with whatever we have left....Go out there and show some discipline and build into the next week

ETL
12-10-2012, 11:34 PM
Because scoring too many points is classless. Honestly whenever the Steelers would win by more than 17 points I would be ashamed. To me that just shows that Ben only cares about his stats. I mean why keep pouring it on another team's defense when you could just sit on the ball and put more pressure on your defense?

I think its like Daniel Day-Lewis when he's acting. Did you know that he stays in character even off the set. He was annoying the shit out of people dragging his body around while shooting "My Left Foot" and actually broke two ribs in the process. However, I don't think he knows any other way. He does it because he believes it makes him the best actor.

I think the Pats try to score because it is what they do. I don't think they are trying to rub it in - its just what they do.

GoFor7
12-10-2012, 11:34 PM

You know, for all the shit Ben gets for holding onto the ball too long (which to be fair he does at times), guys like Brady and Manning aren't always throwing quick releases. There are times they hold onto the ball while their lines give them time for WRs to get open.

Blacksburg Zach
12-10-2012, 11:36 PM
I want to see progress as the season goes on......what exactly have we gotten better at over the course of this season???

The Steelers need to quick FFFing around and start acting like they want what all the fans want

We have 3 games left to get into shape with whatever we have left....Go out there and show some discipline and build into the next week

They have gotten better at giving fans a false sense of hope by beating a good team on the road one week, before laying at egg at home against a bottom feeder the very next week. Other than that, I got nothing.

GoFor7
12-10-2012, 11:37 PM
I think its like Daniel Day-Lewis when he's acting. Did you know that he stays in character even off the set. He was annoying the shit out of people dragging his body around while shooting "My Left Foot" and actually broke two ribs in the process. However, I don't think he knows any other way. He does it because he believes it makes him the best actor.

I think the Pats try to score because it is what they do. I don't think they are trying to rub it in - its just what they do.

That, and the Patriots actually acknowledge that Brady is their best player, while the Steelers try to minimize Ben's impact because god forbid someone is bigger than the Steeler logo.

ETL
12-10-2012, 11:38 PM
You know, for all the shit Ben gets for holding onto the ball too long (which to be fair he does at times), guys like Brady and Manning aren't always throwing quick releases. There are times they hold onto the ball while their lines give them time for WRs to get open.

I thought Charlie Batch had some decent time to throw against the Ravens in that win. I think this OL just didn't play as well yesterday but they have the potential.

Maybe the Pouncey to guard and Legs at center for this year may be the best combo. Hell, we won a SB with Hartwig at center and Stapelton at guard.

SteelerEmpire
12-11-2012, 12:11 AM
The Pats have the talent to take a bunch of average players and make them "think" their above average, thus they play harder... that's the ONLY difference !!!

StainlessStill
12-11-2012, 12:19 AM

No. The success is never settling for anything less but perfection. I've heard if Brady even throws an incomplete pass in practice, he wigs the fuck out. They run their offensive system absolutley flawlessly. No mistakes. Nada. Zip. It's NOT just Brady.

The WR's and TE's and the separation these dudes get off the line of scrimmage is incredible. The Pats have actually had makeshifts o-line this season but you wouldn't even know it as Brady ever-so-slightly steps to his left and puts a dart right into the chest of his buffet of receivers.

Us, on the other hand, are fumbling, bumbling and stumbling with every RB on the roster losing the ball 5 times in Cleveland.

Our QB can't even complete a simple, routine WR screen as our backup rookie 7th round TE completely gets DESTROYED in the backfield and our highest paid receiver isn't even intelligent enough to knock the ball out of the endzone. I don't get it.

ETL
12-11-2012, 12:25 AM
No. The success is never settling for anything less but perfection. I've heard if Brady even throws an incomplete pass in practice, he wigs the fuck out. They run their offensive system absolutley flawlessly. No mistakes. Nada. Zip. It's NOT just Brady.

The WR's and TE's and the separation these dudes get off the line of scrimmage is incredible. The Pats have actually had makeshifts o-line this season but you wouldn't even know it as Brady ever-so-slightly steps to his left and puts a dart right into the chest of his buffet of receivers.

Us, on the other hand, are fumbling, bumbling and stumbling with every RB on the roster losing the ball 5 times in Cleveland.

Our QB can't even complete a simple, routine WR screen as our backup rookie 7th round TE completely gets DESTROYED in the backfield and our highest paid receiver isn't even intelligent enough to knock the ball out of the endzone. I don't get it.

I like your analysis. Here's the problem - there's only 1 Brady and he's on a different team.

You have three options:

1. Become a Pats fan
2. Continue being a Steelers fan and learn to accept that our QB / Team will not deliver Brady / Pats like performances and not get so upset as your expectations should be lower
3. Shoot Brady

GoFor7
12-11-2012, 12:30 AM
I like your analysis. Here's the problem - there's only 1 Brady and he's on a different team.

You have three options:

1. Become a Pats fan
2. Continue being a Steelers fan and learn to accept that our QB / Team will not deliver Brady / Pats like performances and not get so upset as your expectations should be lower
3. Shoot Brady

That's true there's only one Brady, and maybe the Steelers will never be like that, but they can do a hell of a lot better than they've been doing this season. This team has no focus and lacks discipline. That all starts with Tomlin. They also do not play to their strengths on offense. Instead of using the WRs speed and Ben's big play ability, they minimize that and resort to bubble screens. Like I said, god forbid Ben becomes bigger than the Steeler logo.

OX1947
12-11-2012, 12:34 AM
because while Tomlin is hip hopping with everyone and patting butts after mistakes, Belichick is planning and telling everyone to do their jobs or he'll ship them to the Raiders.

NoFieldFive
12-11-2012, 12:39 AM
once last year we came out againstt the Pats and the offense had tempo, Ben got rid of the ball quickly, lots of short quick passes and Miller was very much in the game (at least in the first half he was). it worked great and then you never see it again....or at least not for any length of time.

oh and the D that game - played tight man to man coverage and did not give up the easy 10 yard plays like they often do.

ETL
12-11-2012, 12:40 AM
because while Tomlin is hip hopping with everyone and patting butts after mistakes, Belichick is planning and telling everyone to do their jobs or he'll ship them to the Raiders.

I betcha if the Steelers win - Tomlin's "hip-hopping" ways will be lauded and Belichick's will be labeled as too serious.

Its just the same old story - if we win, all is good; if we lose, all is bad

StainlessStill
12-11-2012, 12:40 AM
Don't insult me like that ETL. Even though I may be sucking off the Patriots at the current moment, it ALL stems from our lousy ass performance against the Chargers. I've seen this team lose with dignity, but yesterday was the FIRST time, quite possibly ever, where they looked completely LOST.

That said. I'm over it. The Patriots, Tom Brady, Bill Bellichick and that nauseating Elvis logo can all eat shit for all I care.

I've said it over and over, time and time again. Give me ROETHLISBERGER over any QB in this league! I'm going to war with this dude. He's my/our QB.

TIME TO PUT A HURTIN ON THOSE DALLAS BOYS!

ETL
12-11-2012, 12:41 AM
once last year we came out againstt the Pats and the offense had tempo, Ben got rid of the ball quickly, lots of short quick passes and Miller was very much in the game (at least in the first half he was). it worked great and then you never see it again....or at least not for any length of time.

oh and the D that game - played tight man to man coverage and did not give up the easy 10 yard plays like they often do.

I think Haley's offense is all about short passes. If anything, there is a lot of criticism for all these short passes.

NoFieldFive
12-11-2012, 12:42 AM

and why are we even calling that wide receiver screen play at our own 5 yard line? that play is more dangerous than potential for good. against the Packers in SB we got lucky and had a fumbled screen called an incomplete pass. then Suggs should have ran one back for a TD last year.

it's a high risk/low reward play. it needs to be scrapped and not ran 8 times a game

SteelersCanada
12-11-2012, 12:44 AM
We can't be like the Patriots because we aren't anything like the Patriots in terms of offensive ideology or defensive success. We don't run a spread offense and air it out to wide receivers and we don't have two All Pro TE's that are arguably 1 and 2 as the best in the NFL.

NoFieldFive
12-11-2012, 12:45 AM
I think Haley's offense is all about short passes. If anything, there is a lot of criticism for all these short passes.

the new england game last year was different. they were short passes but hitting guys in stride (not standing behind the line of scrimmage flat footed) and passes were quick with no time for pressure. this year it's short passes that take a long time to develop

ETL
12-11-2012, 12:47 AM
Don't insult me like that ETL. Even though I may be sucking off the Patriots at the current moment, it ALL stems from our lousy ass performance against the Chargers. I've seen this team lose with dignity, but yesterday was the FIRST time, quite possibly ever, where they looked completely LOST.

That said. I'm over it. The Patriots, Tom Brady, Bill Bellichick can all eat shit for all I care.

I've said it over and over, time and time again. Give me ROETHLISBERGER over any QB in this league! I'm going to war with this dude. He's my/our QB.

TIME TO PUT A HURTIN ON THOSE DALLAS BOYS!

No insult. Just thought what you said about Brady was right on. I'm just pointing out that as a Steeler fan - we will go through more valleys and anxious / anger provoking moments. God, I almost broke the TV when Cowher was coaching.

I know you can't change your loyalty to the Steelers. Its in our blood.

ETL
12-11-2012, 12:49 AM
the new england game last year was different. they were short passes but hitting guys in stride (not standing behind the line of scrimmage flat footed) and passes were quick with no time for pressure. this year it's short passes that take a long time to develop

yea, agree with you. this sunday looked pretty ugly. I'm hoping its just rust

GoFor7
12-11-2012, 12:49 AM

Because 1) The run the same bubble screens that everyone hates, and 2) with the speed at WR they should be taking more shots downfield.

ETL
12-11-2012, 12:54 AM
Because 1) The run the same bubble screens that everyone hates, and 2) with the speed at WR they should be taking more shots downfield.

I don't know about you but i find the offense very ... predictable. Even the long passes downfield seem predictable. I remember a game in which the Steelers were playing the Eagles and basically toying with them offensively. Even Phil Simms was praising the Steelers for how "off-balanced" they had the Eagles.

I don't mind the bubble screens or the short passes as long as they are not so predictable.

Edman
12-11-2012, 12:58 AM
Ask New England where driving up the score on teams has gotten them. They haven't won a Super Bowl since the beginning of Bush's second term and came up empty twice since then.

But hey, they sure blow out teams in the regular season, though. Go be a Pats fan if you want that garbage, OP.

Hawaii 5-0
12-11-2012, 01:00 AM
you mean you want us to start cheating? :noidea:

http://www.faniq.com/images/blog/Pats_Cheaters-398x224.jpg

GoFor7
12-11-2012, 01:05 AM
Ask New England where driving up the score on teams has gotten them. They haven't won a Super Bowl since the beginning of Bush's second term and came up empty twice since then.

But hey, they sure blow out teams in the regular season, though. Go be a Pats fan if you want that garbage, OP.

That's all true. But at least they've been putting themselves in good position come playoff time. Does this Steeler team look like one that can win 3 road games in a row?

StainlessStill
12-11-2012, 01:06 AM
I think my main issue and PROBLEM with this team is coming to a forefront when looking back. Injuries, ESPECIALLY. Mike Wallace's holdout was tough to stomach to begin with.

It seriously does feel like an entire voo-doo has been performed on us. Not only was our 1,000 yard rusher Mendenhall nursing a ACL injury, not to be ready until well into the season, It all started with our #1 draft pick, DeCastro, a mauler that was supposed to cure all angst on our line, dislocate his knee cap in the 3rd preseason game.

Then it continued when one of my FAVORITE linebackers in this years draft, Sean Spence, jacked up his leg in pre-season. This all came after our starting fullback on the year David Johnson bit the dust in pre-season in like, the first offensive snap for 2012.

Then our fierce pass-rushing, All-Pro OLB, who we missed heavily last season in James Harrison, decided to have surgery on his knee in freakin' August. His backup, Chris Carter, who started for Harrison, is on IR now with an Abdomen injury.

Then our All-Pro strong safety, Troy Polamalu, injures his calf in game number 1 and practically misses the entire season. Then Pouncey is out with an ankle. Then Gilbert finally fell on his own leg and put himself on IR. Not to be outdone, rookie Mike Adams did his best impersonation of Gilbert and he hasn't been seen since. Our "meanest" lineman, Willie Colon, will be put on IR for what seems to be the 1 millionth straight season.

Antonio Brown missed a few games with an ankle injury. Our "Hines Ward" player, Jericho Cotchery broke his ribs and missed a few. Byron Leftwhich THRILLED the Heinz Field crowd and gave us hope with an amazing 31 yard TD run on our first series VS Balty, only to trip on his 11 left feet, breaking his ribs in the process.

Redman then injured himself somehow, paving the way for Dwyer, who, after an impressive 100 yard game himself, hurt his quadriceps in the Washington game. Then LaMarr Woodley decided not to douche and injured his ankle this time so fat-slob Jason Worlids can get playing time.

Our best cover corner who is as UNDER APPRECIATED as it comes in Ike Taylor, has broken his leg.

Then...

I'm exhausted. GO STEELERS!

JewniorGong
12-11-2012, 01:09 AM
I'd like to combine the Pats ability to dominate and run up the score in the regular season with our ability to close and step it up in the playoffs and Super Bowl.. how's that? :-p

ETL
12-11-2012, 01:11 AM
I'd like to combine the Pats ability to dominate and run up the score in the regular season with our ability to close and step it up in the playoffs and Super Bowl.. how's that? :-p

LOL. Basically u want ... Everything. Nothing wrong with that

Steel_Bus_24
12-11-2012, 01:23 AM
Then LaMarr Woodley decided not to douche and injured his ankle this time so fat-slob Jason Worlids can get playing time.

Harrison and Woodley must have it written in their contracts somewhere that they can't be on the same field together for more then a couple of games at a time

desertsteel
12-11-2012, 01:28 AM
It bugs me that we can't put points on the board with the skill position talent we have.

I mean, we rarely see 30 point outputs from the O. I looked at wins where we scored 30+ points the past 3 seasons and this is what I found:

2010 = 3
2011 = 3
2012 = 0

ZERO... that's right... ZERO

Steel_Bus_24
12-11-2012, 01:30 AM
I don't want to be like those fffing cheaters either

sure it would be nice to get one of those total blowout scores occasionally....but what we need is

A running game that is good enough to salt away a couple games for us in the 4th

and for our Pass Rush to get back up to Steeler standards and create some Turnovers

Ben will handle the rest

Suisham has gotten better this year, thats one plus....hope it continues

SteelBobbleHead
12-11-2012, 01:45 AM
It bugs me that we can't put points on the board with the skill position talent we have.

I mean, we rarely see 30 point outputs from the O. I looked at wins where we scored 30+ points the past 3 seasons and this is what I found:

2010 = 3
2011 = 3
2012 = 0

ZERO... that's right... ZERO

If I'm not mistaken, Haley was brought in to improve the redone efficiency and scoring. I think the only thing he has improved, until the last game, is how often Ben has had to run for his life.
I really don't mind the dink and dunk ball control offense. We do have the receivers for a quick strike attack as well. Is it asking too much to want to utilize both during a game?
Wouldn't you think that you could occasionally throw the deep ball after you have set them up with the dink and dunk?

PATS16N0
12-11-2012, 03:10 AM
My two cents:

The Patriots are an amazing football team and an incredible organization. Football season in Massachusetts has been an absolute blast since the dawn of the Belichick and Brady era. That said, the Patriots are the Patriots and, despite the current state of Pittsburgh, the Steelers are the Steelers. If every great organization was exactly the same it would be boring. Super-elite offenses are fun to watch but if every great football organization was built on a Super-Elite offense then every football game would just be a sling-fest and the game would be sort of boring. It's only exciting to watch now because it's unique, like the Steelers hard-nosed defense and grid-iron style is (was?) exciting to watch when they swarm over an offensive line and Harrison starts suplexing people.

Like in Mixed Martial Arts, styles make fights, and it's the same for football.

Each football team has its own identity and this leads to each fan base having its own identity and that's the character of the NFL. That's better than everyone being clones of one another. If you were smashing everyone '85 Bears style this season you wouldn't be thinking that you wish you were a Patriots clone.

But with all that said.... 42-14 over the Texans. Hot damn! Brady ring #4 incoming.

PATS16N0
12-11-2012, 03:15 AM
One of my favorite thing about the Patriots, though, and the Patriot identity (the Patriot way), is how they never say anything to the media, never talk trash (overtly), always praise their upcoming opponents even if they're so horribly bad the praise is clearly being condescending, and then on the field they ruthlessly wrap 59 points around their throats and don't stop until the game is over. More over, after the game is over and the final score is 937 to 3 Belichick gives his same routine speech. "We need to improve in all three phases in the game, blah blah blah." It's a stealth arrogance and disdain for our opponents that's just incredible when contrasted with the circus shenanigans of other organizations. It's who the Patriots are and I absolutely LOVE them for it.

PATS16N0
12-11-2012, 03:19 AM
Thinking it over....
Yeah, you should all just become Patriot fans.

BLACK_AND_YELLOW
12-11-2012, 03:30 AM
Thinking it over....

:screwy:

pitt0wns
12-11-2012, 04:13 AM
Well the PATs run the hurry up offense when they get down by 10-14 PTS to change the pace of the game. The Steelers wait until there is 5 minutes left when they're down by 21.

Tomlin trys his best to make bad decisions and give the other opposing team awesome field position and easy points.

Oh yeah, we have people in there 40s or 10-15+ years in the league as starters since Tomlin is still living off of Cowher's players.

That pretty much sums it up.

FrancoLambert
12-11-2012, 06:42 AM
Responding to the title of this thread.......
"Because we don't have Belichick."

I know many of us hate him, but when you remove the emotion you clearly realize he is the best coach in football. By far.

Stairway to 7
12-11-2012, 06:54 AM
Admit it - don't you wish our offense and team was like the Pats? They go up 42-7 on teams like Houston, routinely score 40+ points and blow out the weak teams like they should. . In short, they act and behave as a dominant team should.

In contrast, the Steelers lose to teams with losing records such as the Chargers, Browns, Raiders and Titans. They are "Jekyll and Hyde", "bipolar", they "do not have an identity" and they wimper to wins over lowly teams like KC. They never seem to blow out an opponent and rarely score 40+ points.

So don't you wish we were like the Pats? If you deny it - just look at what you posted in the past 24 hrs. It sure sounds like you wish the Steelers won like the Patriots. Wouldn't rooting for a team that plays and wins like the Pats cure all your Steeler angst?

Before you think of me as a traitor - let me tell you why I like the Steelers just the way they are. The Pats are good and just like the Steelers, they give their fans the opportunity to win the Super Bowl year in and year out - which is all we fans can realistically ask for. However, the Steelers have a better defense and generally play football that allows their defense to be be on the field less than they have to. The Steelers generally win the time of possession battle and they do this by being dedicated to running the ball and winding down the clock. This means that we air it out less, play more ball control and score less.

Have we been successful? You bet. Since 2005, the Steelers have gone to 3 Super Bowls and won 2. The Pats have gone to 2 Super Bowls and won 0. When it comes to crunch time, teams seem to be able to stop the Pats high powered offense and find ways to score on their defense.

Do you think the Pats fans are eternally happy because their team "dominates"? Wrong. Just like any other team's message board - there are always things to gripe about. Calls to fire Belichick and sit Brady were rampant after the loss to the Cardinals and the Pat's 1-2 start. See its not always greener on the other side.

Do the Pats have a chance to win the SB this year? Absolutely! They are a good team - but I like our Steelers just fine, thank you, and recent history seems to favor how the Steelers like to play football. It may be boring, inconsistent and anger / anxiety provoking at times but every now and then, they put it all together and reward us fans with a SB win.

Go Steelers.

Crock of shit.

Stairway to 7
12-11-2012, 06:57 AM
]I betcha if the Steelers win - Tomlin's "hip-hopping" ways will be lauded and Belichick's will be labeled as too serious. [/B]

Its just the same old story - if we win, all is good; if we lose, all is bad

I don't think so, Tomlin will still be a moron who needs an abacus and can't manage a game, and much as I hate the Pats they will still be far better coached and prepared than Captain Cliche's teams.

The real issue here is that you cannot stand anyone who is critical of the team.

Stairway to 7
12-11-2012, 07:11 AM
Thinking it over....

Thinking it over go fuck yourself.

maddog78
12-11-2012, 07:43 AM
All things considered, I'd rather we play like them. A miracle play won our last Super Bowl, and two miracle plays cost them their last two. It's not like they have a flawed formula and ours is etched in gold. And let's face it, the only reason we played Green Bay was because the Jets took out NE. They housed the Steelers in Pittsburgh that year.

There's nothing that says you can't dominate on offense AND defense. It's not just about TOP. They possessed the ball plenty. Their defense does give up yards, but not points and they force a lot of turnovers.

I'm not a traitor, either, but I'm not going to pretend we're just as good as them when we're not. If we sneak into the playoffs, I hope we don't travel to Foxboro.

torpedoshell31
12-11-2012, 07:43 AM
I can't imagine Chuck Noll, Tom Landry or Vince Lombardi running onto the field, leaping into the air and chest bumping one of their players. Belechik reminds me of those coaches from back in the day. They weren't "one of the guys" they were coaches that when they walked in at halftime and slammed down their clipboards 40 guys crapped their pants.

maddog78
12-11-2012, 07:47 AM
Responding to the title of this thread.......
"Because we don't have Belichick."

I know many of us hate him, but when you remove the emotion you clearly realize he is the best coach in football. By far.

And Brady's the best QB. I can't wait til he retires. They're a perfect match. Fierce competitors and never stop getting better. Love Ben, but he's more like the athletically gifted frat boy who gets by mostly only his skills. Brady makes it look easy because he sees and understands everything on the other side of the ball and almost always makes the right decision.

That's six teams they've beaten into submission this year. We pulled away from the Jets to beat them 27-10 at home and played all other bottom feeders to the wire, losing four times.

maddog78
12-11-2012, 07:48 AM
Thinking it over....

No need to get snarky - we're paying a compliment to your team. Enjoy it while #12 is still playing.

Stairway to 7
12-11-2012, 07:49 AM
And Brady's the best QB. I can't wait til he retires. They're a perfect match. Fierce competitors and never stop getting better. Love Ben, but he's more like the athletically gifted frat boy who gets by mostly only his skills. Brady makes it look easy because he sees and understands everything on the other side of the ball and almost always makes the right decision.

That's six teams they've beaten into submission this year. We pulled away from the Jets to beat them 27-10 at home and played all other bottom feeders to the wire, losing four times.

Brady has an o-line that gives him all day every season, big difference when has Ben EVER had that?

No doubt though that the AFC will be represented by NE IMO, and then they'll lose.

AGAIN.

:chuckle:

Stairway to 7
12-11-2012, 07:53 AM
No need to get snarky - we're paying a compliment to your team. Enjoy it while #12 is still playing.

Typical NE cry-baby, if you don't worship them unconditionally they get upset, they're the same the World over, Boston didn't even know it had a football team until it started winning...trolling boards screaming and crying if you don't kiss their feet.

The Pats 'fans' will drop them as soon as BB and Marcia have gone, all back on the Red Sox bandwagon...

maddog78
12-11-2012, 07:53 AM

You have three options:

1. Become a Pats fan
3. Shoot Brady

4. Hope my team models itself after the best and doesn't just shrug its shoulders and lower expectations. Kraft runs a much tighter ship than Rooney, who believes it's more of a family than a team. You think the Pats would hand jobs to old friends like Leftwich and Batch?

maddog78
12-11-2012, 07:56 AM

:applaudit:

Not only that, but most of our offense has been together for years. When is the last time you heard someone talking about the Pats needed to play several games to "determine their identity"? We hear that every year as the offense starts, stops, sputters, chokes, and jerks up and down the road all season.

Why the fuck can't these guys get it together after all these years?

maddog78
12-11-2012, 07:58 AM
Brady has an o-line that gives him all day every season, big difference when has Ben EVER had that?

No doubt though that the AFC will be represented by NE IMO, and then they'll lose.

AGAIN.

:chuckle:

They do have a better line. Or maybe better line coaches. They lose guys and plug guys in all the time and don't miss a beat.

They work together as a unit. Our guys routinely let blitzers through while doubling the guy next to them.

Wouldn't be so sure about them losing it this year. I'm not impressed by anyone in the NFC. Alas, it's still December and they look great every December. Two years ago they were rolling along like this and lost to Mark Sanchez in the playoffs.

steelerschik
12-11-2012, 08:23 AM
They do have a better line. Or maybe better line coaches. They lose guys and plug guys in all the time and don't miss a beat.

They work together as a unit. Our guys routinely let blitzers through while doubling the guy next to them.

Wouldn't be so sure about them losing it this year. I'm not impressed by anyone in the NFC. Alas, it's still December and they look great every December. Two years ago they were rolling along like this and lost to Mark Sanchez in the playoffs.

Really? I don't know, I know Atlanta lost to Carolina and 49ers lost to the Rams, but I can actually see those 2 teams and Green Bay giving NE a run for their money. Naturally I would HATE to see the 49res in the SB not only for their possible 6th SB win, but anyone with the name Harbaugh just shouldn't be there...at all....ever.

maddog78
12-11-2012, 08:27 AM
Really? I don't know, I know Atlanta lost to Carolina and 49ers lost to the Rams, but I can actually see those 2 teams and Green Bay giving NE a run for their money. Naturally I would HATE to see the 49res in the SB not only for their possible 6th SB win, but anyone with the name Harbaugh just shouldn't be there...at all....ever.

Atlanta is a fraud. Houston looked to have been exposed last night, too. SF at NE next week. We'll see how good they are.

GB is interesting, but their offensive line is miserable. Maybe Eli will save the day again.

Edman
12-11-2012, 08:47 AM
Then go be a Pats fan, OP.

Ask New England where their great regular season success of blowing out teams, and superior preparation has gotten them. They haven't won a Super Bowl in 8-9 years and came out flat in both of their losses. To the same team.

Fire Haley
12-11-2012, 08:52 AM
Why can't we ban all Pats threads?

steelerschik
12-11-2012, 08:52 AM
Atlanta is a fraud. Houston looked to have been exposed last night, too. SF at NE next week. We'll see how good they are.

GB is interesting, but their offensive line is miserable. Maybe Eli will save the day again.

LOL, I think Pats fans would be on suicide watch if Eli beat them again! Of course everyone else in the world would love it. The only reasons I have my doubts about Atlanta and Houston are their QBs. And I know it's possible those teams peaked too early, I don't know. The mere thought of the Pats in another SB is almost too much to bear, so I'd rather see Houston and maybe they could pull it off since the Pats would have to go there to play. And really watching GB possibly win another SB, :thud: I guess if it's not the Steelers in the SB, I don't want anyone in it let alone win, lol. The pickins are slim.

Stairway to 7
12-11-2012, 08:55 AM

Things do change so fast though.

Right now, they're the best team in the NFL, simple as that. I watched SFG destroy Chicago and I thought they were the best team, turns out Chicago are yet again, just an also-ran team.

Never thought ATL were good. Houston - exposed now.

I know it's obvious but right now I'm looking at NE, SFG and GB as potential SB winners and that's it.

Steelers>NFL
12-11-2012, 08:57 AM
The big part where I wished the Steelers would be like the Pat*: is starting rookies on defense. The Pat* started 3 rookies on defense this year. And they are flying around getting after the ball, creating turnovers etc...
Plus by the time they are in their 3rd season they will by then be great ball players. and know the defense very well. Basically learning on the job. Whereas the Steeler way is, play so sparingly as a rookis, second year play more like 30-50%. By third season start. So basically you just lost 2 years of a young players talent and hunger, because he needs to learn and overly complicated defense. Frustrating to wait and see approach.
Play the kids. Let them learn the hard way. Yes there will be mistakes. But should be nothing that team can not overcome...

TRH
12-11-2012, 08:58 AM

Atlanta and Houston are both frauds. I'd be surprised to see them go far in the playoffs.

ETL
12-11-2012, 08:59 AM
Thinking it over....

Thanks but no thanks. We would like to win Super Bowls. :tt02:

TRH
12-11-2012, 09:00 AM
The big part where I wished the Steelers would be like the Pat*: is starting rookies on defense. The Pat* started 3 rookies on defense this year. And they are flying around getting after the ball, creating turnovers etc...
Plus by the time they are in their 3rd season they will by then be great ball players. and know the defense very well. Basically learning on the job. Whereas the Steeler way is, play so sparingly as a rookis, second year play more like 30-50%. By third season start. So basically you just lost 2 years of a young players talent and hunger, because he needs to learn and overly complicated defense. Frustrating to wait and see approach.
Play the kids. Let them learn the hard way. Yes there will be mistakes. But should be nothing that team can not overcome...

I agree.
I always hear around here "oh he can't start yet..doesn't matter if we drafted him 1 or 2 or whatever...he has to sit around the sidelines "and learn for a couple of years"......

Funny....Dante Hightower has been starting for them right out of the gate (and he's not the only one) and he's been a monster out there at LB.
I wish we had taken him like we were supposed to (although i still have high hopes for DeCastro).

ETL
12-11-2012, 09:01 AM
Crock of shit.

???? - so you want the Steelers to lose their identity and become like the Pats?

(I don't think you read the post)

ETL
12-11-2012, 09:04 AM
I don't think so, Tomlin will still be a moron who needs an abacus and can't manage a game, and much as I hate the Pats they will still be far better coached and prepared than Captain Cliche's teams.

The real issue here is that you cannot stand anyone who is critical of the team.

You're wrong. I am critical of the team - I call it out when they play poorly. The difference between you and me is that I don't jump overboard when something bad happens.

Its as if you get so passionately angry over a loss that you want EVERYONE to express just as much anger and disgust and when that does not happen -you then vent your anger on people like me who are upset about the loss but know that in the big picture, the Steelers are still a good football team.

FanSince72
12-11-2012, 09:04 AM

Go Steelers.

People can say what they want about Belichick and they can make fun of videotape scandals or preferential treatment of Brady but the fact is that New England puts out a consistently great product year in and year out. This year, for example, marks the tenth year in a row that New England has won at least ten games.

I've always said that the smartest thing any coach could do would be to try to follow Belichick's methods. He prepares for games based upon the pluses and minuses of each team he faces and then adjusts his game plan to suit the situation. New England isn't a "passing team" or a "running team" or a "defensive team" but rather they are whatever they need to be based upon the opponent.

Another thing that Belichick does (and in my opinion is the most important thing) is that he prepares his 2nd and 3rd string players as he does his starters and is thus able to overcome injury without missing a beat. I've often thought of him as the Henry Ford of the NFL in the way that his teams consist more of interchangeable parts rather than superstars.

You can hate the Pats all you want, but as a model for how to field a consistently winning team, you couldn't find a better example than New England and Bill Belichick.

ETL
12-11-2012, 09:06 AM
All things considered, I'd rather we play like them. A miracle play won our last Super Bowl, and two miracle plays cost them their last two. It's not like they have a flawed formula and ours is etched in gold. And let's face it, the only reason we played Green Bay was because the Jets took out NE. They housed the Steelers in Pittsburgh that year.

There's nothing that says you can't dominate on offense AND defense. It's not just about TOP. They possessed the ball plenty. Their defense does give up yards, but not points and they force a lot of turnovers.

I'm not a traitor, either, but I'm not going to pretend we're just as good as them when we're not. If we sneak into the playoffs, I hope we don't travel to Foxboro.

You are right. Both teams give their fans a chance to win the SB and a few plays went the Steelers way and a few went against the Pats. And you are correct in pointing out how NE has had the Steelers number - especially in the playoffs.

Basically, they are a team with a good coach and a good QB

DoctorCAD
12-11-2012, 09:09 AM
I can't stand to watch the Pats*.

I think they are arrogant and act like a high-school bully. Kicking you when you are down.

I'd rather win by 7 or 14...

ETL
12-11-2012, 09:11 AM
Then go be a Pats fan, OP.

Ask New England where their great regular season success of blowing out teams, and superior preparation has gotten them. They haven't won a Super Bowl in 8-9 years and came out flat in both of their losses. To the same team.

Read EVERYTHING in what I wrote so you don't make this mistake again

ETL
12-11-2012, 09:15 AM

I think they are arrogant and act like a high-school bully. Kicking you when you are down.

I agree with you. Hell, I don't care if we win every game by 1 point.

I was just trying to point out how there are so many people on this board whining about how we don't blow out all the "bad" teams

Steel_Bus_24
12-11-2012, 09:20 AM

I was just trying to point out how there are so many people on this board whining about how we don't blow out all the "bad" teams

The Steelers don't have to blow them out......but they need to be in more control late in the game against some of them

Remember when we could all look forward to seeing guys like Verron Haynes come in for clean up duty and run out the clock

steelfury02
12-11-2012, 09:21 AM
I admit, I'd at least like to go back to bullying the lesser teams, and by that I mean - I know when we get up by 10-17 points in the second half of the third or start of the fourth quarter - that's it, time to start shutting it down and melting that clock away.

When we were heading into that KC game, I thought "ok, this team is starting to put things together after enduring some injuries and bad performances - they've done what they've had to do now to put themselves in a better position."

I thought that after the Tenn and Oak games they learned - nope- Cleveland happened - the worst performance of the season. Then nope, we didn't learn our lesson again, and now we can't put our shit together at home. It's a really bad trend - and not signs of a team capable of contending. Sure - we've beaten some good teams and the Pats schedule was cake again - but, c'mon - I think we can all agree that this team should have at least gotten 1-2 out of those 4 awful games.

I dunno, usually when the Pats steamroll people they either continue to do so in the comforts of their own house, or, end up in a game where the other team out-physicals them. We aren't going to put the after-burners on against any of the competition - but maybe, being more physical and not turning the ball over is the key. Hell if I know - somethings gotta be more dynamic

GoFor7
12-11-2012, 09:31 AM

Wow. I hope that's sarcasm. Only in Pittsburgh the fans get angry at the team if they win by what is perceived as "too much." Here's an idea for the opposing team's defense: STOP THEM.

This is where Steelers fans complain out of both sides of their asses. They want the offense to stop putting so much pressure to win a game on the defense, but they don't want the offense to score too much because that's "classless." Can't have it both ways. The best way to take pressure off of a defense is to score more points.

maddog78
12-11-2012, 09:32 AM

Yeah, right. Classic sour grapes. If the Steelers were putting 40-burgers up on teams and blowing them out every other week, you'd be upset?

You must have been miserable during the historic 1976 run.

maddog78
12-11-2012, 09:33 AM

We not only don't blow them out, we lose to them. Like four times this season.

We win half of those and we're playing for the AFC North title.

GMU Steeler
12-11-2012, 09:34 AM
Nothing traitorous about it. I hate the Patriots man probably more than any other team not named the Yankees in all of sports but I'd like to win like that once in a while. I mean win by 30+ and 1 means the same in the grand scheme of things but I do like having some non-stressful games. Maybe next year and beyond.

maddog78
12-11-2012, 09:38 AM
And if anyone thinks this jealousy is traitorous, let me remind you that none other than Joe Greene echoed the same sentiments in 1974 after watching Miami systematically dismantle the Bengals on a Monday Night. He complained "why can't we be like them?", obviously frustrated by the herby-jerky offense.

When the team finally got their offense together in the late 70s, they were unbeatable.

Steelerindc
12-11-2012, 09:39 AM
This not scoring and not embarrassing your opponent argument is crazy to me. If you go for a fake FG when your up 20 something I would agree, but just because you're up doesn't mean you shouldn't score. You play 60 min and if they stop you they stop you, if they don't it's not your problem.

They're paid professionals not ankle biters who's feelings might get hurt and parents go complain to the league.

SoCalFan
12-11-2012, 10:19 AM

I agree with this! Far too many times you see teams making come backs because teams like our Steelers decide to play conservative and end up losing! Fock that, full throttle til the end!

I CANT STAND the cheats but must admit, the envy bug gets the best of me at times! I hope its eating our players and coaching staff as well........Come on fellas, wake the fock up and show the world we are a championship caliber team!!!!!!!!!!!:tt03:

steelfury02
12-11-2012, 10:24 AM
the funny thing is - the Steelers don't even need to be a top 3-5 offense in the league, and averaging 30+ to win the big one. If the offense can Score 3 TDs and a couple of field goals, that's all it really takes. The physicality on D and TOP on O(when they feel like showing up) is a great equalizer, and slows the game down. What does 24-27 points per game from the O, winning TOP and not turning the ball over on a consistent basis and just a solid bend but don't break D sound?

GoFor7
12-11-2012, 10:28 AM
Another thing I commonly hear from Steelers fans is that players will get hurt if they are left in the game to "run up" the score. So they can't get hurt at any other time in the game? Really? Wow! All these injuries have happened because the Steelers are being classless! How dare the offense puts up 10 points against KC! Had they only put up 7 points Ben wouldn't have gotten hurt!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kanata-Steeler
12-11-2012, 10:28 AM
Why can't our "Offense", and YES, you especially, BEN, NOT be the pathetic useless bums that they have been this last Sunday.
We would have been much better off playing Charlie Batch ! -remeber him?! -that old fish that beat the RATBIRDS', becuase well, Ben couldn't ?!
Geezus, our "O" single-handedly EMPTIED the Pittsburgh stadium. by the 3rd Quarter. ! Forget the "team" loss crap, this was a FAIL BEN, with a FAIL Offense, big time.
If that doesn't say what?, I dunno.

Ok, now we have the Cowboys, comon' pick it up already.

steelfury02
12-11-2012, 10:34 AM
Alright. That's it then. I'm getting so sick and tired of hearing about the Patriots, the Texans, the Broncos. Who do you play for? WHAT TEAM ARE YOU ON!? That's right. You are the Pittsburgh Steelers. They say the Patriots are the best - well, I say different. You better come together as a team, RIGHT NOW, and figure this thing out.
http://images4.fanpop.com/image/photos/18500000/Miracle-kurt-russell-18538616-720-540.jpg

GoFor7
12-11-2012, 10:35 AM
Why can't our "Offense", and YES, you especially, BEN, NOT be the pathetic useless bums that they have been this last Sunday.
We would have been much better off playing Charlie Batch ! -remeber him?! -that old fish that beat the RATBIRDS', becuase well, Ben couldn't ?!
Geezus, our "O" single-handedly EMPTIED the Pittsburgh stadium. by the 3rd Quarter. ! Forget the "team" loss crap, this was a FAIL BEN, with a FAIL Offense, big time.
If that doesn't say what?, I dunno.

Ok, now we have the Cowboys, comon' pick it up already.

Yinzer nation when Haley was hired: Ben ain't gotta throw da ball! Yinz gotta run da ball an' play like da stillers n'at!

Yinzer nation when the Steelers lose: BEN WHY AIN'T YINZ DO MORE!? YINZ GOTTA LEAD DA STILLERS TA VICTORY! QUIT STANDIN' AROUND N'AT!

Edman
12-11-2012, 10:37 AM
The Patriots lost at home to a Cardinals team who just got swamped 58-0 Sunday.

Sure you wanna be like them?

GoFor7
12-11-2012, 10:42 AM

Perhaps good teams get better after 12 weeks of football have passed. Not a very good point you're making.

steelfury02
12-11-2012, 10:44 AM
Yea, and look at the Patriots now. They just destroyed the Texans. The Steelers looked like the class of the AFC going into Cincy and NY, pulling out mentally tough games. Now look at them. Past games mean squat.

TRH
12-11-2012, 10:45 AM

I don't want to "be like them". But right now they certainly look light years better than our team - so its hard to open our mouths and start yappin'.

Vincent
12-11-2012, 10:45 AM
You have to admire the cheats. They put a similar high quality product on the field year in and year out, and have won 10+ games each season for more than a decade. They pick good players, not always the best, and they develop them. They get the most out of their investment on the field.

That last TD drive last night was typical of them. It was just runs up the gut against a proud defense that they had gassed. Their backs are journeymen at best. None of the Caucasians are particularly remarkable. They just show up and play like a team. Willfork "articulated" that surprisingly well in his post game comments. We've seen this movie more times than I care to remember.

Frankly, we have much better talent. We haven't developed it. We manage it poorly in terms of development, preparation and motivation. We can beat the cheats when everything aligns, but we repeatedly lose to inferior talent. Witness 3 losses to the woeful AFC West this year. There's no excuse for that. But there is a reason that needs to be corrected if this team is going to challenge during the remainder of our $100M franchise QB's career.

Hate on the cheats, but they do deserve some respect. I will say however, I got all excited during Eli's two Super Bowl appearances.

Edman
12-11-2012, 10:53 AM
I don't want to "be like them". But right now they certainly look light years better than our team - so its hard to open our mouths and start yappin'.

Every year for the past couple of years they've looked "light years" better than the rest of the league and it was always another team who walked away with the Lombardi...except them. Every now and then you have to start questioning the "Patriots are so awesome" hype.

You can give credit where it's due, but go be a Pats fan if you want to be awestruck by their pretty regular seasons and minimal championship success, and you'll find out the grass isn't so greener on the other side.

GoFor7
12-11-2012, 10:53 AM
Was looking at the schedule for the 1979 Steelers. Just look at how CLASSLESS that Steeler team was:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1979_Pittsburgh_Steelers_season#Schedule

ZoneBlitzer
12-11-2012, 11:00 AM
You have to admire the cheats. They put a similar high quality product on the field year in and year out, and have won 10+ games each season for more than a decade. They pick good players, not always the best, and they develop them. They get the most out of their investment on the field.

That last TD drive last night was typical of them. It was just runs up the gut against a proud defense that they had gassed. Their backs are journeymen at best. None of the Caucasians are particularly remarkable. They just show up and play like a team. Willfork "articulated" that surprisingly well in his post game comments. We've seen this movie more times than I care to remember.

Frankly, we have much better talent. We haven't developed it. We manage it poorly in terms of development, preparation and motivation. We can beat the cheats when everything aligns, but we repeatedly lose to inferior talent. Witness 3 losses to the woeful AFC West this year. There's no excuse for that. But there is a reason that needs to be corrected if this team is going to challenge during the remainder of our $100M franchise QB's career.

Hate on the cheats, but they do deserve some respect. I will say however, I got all excited during Eli's two Super Bowl appearances.

Spot on.

Edman
12-11-2012, 11:16 AM
Read EVERYTHING in what I wrote so you don't make this mistake again

Don't ever make a garbage topic like this again if you don't like what you're going to hear.

"Wahh, we don't blow teams out!"

"We don't score a ton of points!"

"We don't look like the Patriots!"

Guess what? The Steelers are not the Patriots and they're never going to be the Patriots. If you wanna go watch the Patriots, go be a Patriots fan. This topic is a pathetic pity-party crap demonstration of a loser mentality and it's sickening.

Steelers>NFL
12-11-2012, 11:38 AM

Nice post! :applaudit:

steelfury02
12-11-2012, 11:48 AM
Was looking at the schedule for the 1979 Steelers. Just look at how CLASSLESS that Steeler team was:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1979_Pittsburgh_Steelers_season#Schedule

Things I think of when I see the results of that schedule:
1. The 12-4 record. Currently, we are hoping for 10-6.
2. The fact that the team didn't lose two in a row.
3. They averaged 26 points a game. Right now, we are HOPING for 3 TDs.
4. They never lost at home
5. They did however, have a couple of embarrassing losses. In general though - just a much more mentally tough and focused team.

Right now, our Steelers are fighting for a 6th seed at 7-6 - we are looking like the least capable of the playoff teams right now. The jury is still out as to which Steeler team is going to show up the next 3 games, and hopefully, into the post season. Do we back in with only winning 1-2 of the next 3, or start looking like we are on a mission and puttin it together? We could see the team that lost 4 games they never had any business losing (or at least winning 1 of those - inexcusable) or the team that beat Cincy, NY, and the Ravens without Ben? Who the hell knows.

Dino 6 Rings
12-11-2012, 11:49 AM
because the Steelers don't cheat.

fansince'76
12-11-2012, 11:53 AM
Things I think of when I see the results of that schedule:
1. The 12-4 record. Currently, we are hoping for 10-6.
2. The fact that the team didn't lose two in a row.
3. They averaged 26 points a game. Right now, we are HOPING for 3 TDs.
4. They never lost at home
5. They did however, have a couple of embarrassing losses. In general though - just a much more mentally tough and focused team.

With 9 future hall of famers on the roster, and another one who should have been in there years ago (Greenwood). The only potential hall of famers we have right now are Polamalu and Roethlisberger. That's it. Nobody else we currently have will sniff Canton unless they buy a ticket (Harrison's body of work was too small) or SERIOUSLY steps up their play and sustains it . Well, maybe Pouncey if he keeps it up for another decade.

I can't believe this comparison is even being made.

plenewken
12-11-2012, 12:18 PM
Every year for the past couple of years they've looked "light years" better than the rest of the league and it was always another team who walked away with the Lombardi...except them. Every now and then you have to start questioning the "Patriots are so awesome" hype.

You can give credit where it's due, but go be a Pats fan if you want to be awestruck by their pretty regular seasons and minimal championship success, and you'll find out the grass isn't so greener on the other side.

The Pats' record since 2000 is definitely better than us, in W/L, in number of playoffs games, in number of SB appearances and in numer of Lombardis. Let's be objective.
I'd have a different opinion if we were talking about the 70s and 80s

plenewken
12-11-2012, 12:19 PM
Duplicate.

Fire Arians
12-11-2012, 12:21 PM
they beat the bad teams the way they should be beaten, convincingly. i wish we could do that.

Stairway to 7
12-11-2012, 12:22 PM
they beat the bad teams the way they should be beaten, convincingly. i wish we could do that.

Every game is a struggle and i'm sick and tired of it.

Fire Arians
12-11-2012, 12:25 PM
Every game is a struggle and i'm sick and tired of it.

I'm no tired of close games or struggles, but I WOULD like to see some consistency out of our team.

Sometimes they come out on fire, sometimes they play flat. You never know which steelers team you're going to get. You can almost bet that whenever we're favored to crush a 'lowly' team, the 'flat' team comes out. When we are playing a good team, they're ready.

As much as I dislike Belichick, what makes him good is that he somehow manages to get his team ready for every game, lowly opponent or not, you know which Patriots* team is going to show up.

Edman
12-11-2012, 12:32 PM
The Pats' record since 2000 is definitely better than us, in W/L, in number of playoffs games, in number of SB appearances and in numer of Lombardis. Oh and the show on the field is more entertaining too. Let's be objective.
I'd have a different opinion if we were talking about the 70s and 80s

So?

I am the one who is being objective with sense. You are the one who is jumping on another team's bandwagon just because ours doesn't look so pretty at moment. I am a Steelers fan and I couldn't care less about the Patriots. The Patriots Fan Forum is thataway. You're perfectly free to quit rooting for this team if you wish.

The Steelers were terrible in the 80's, by the way.

It's fine if you want the Steelers to play better, I certainly do, but to say you want them to be like the Patriots is ridiculous. It simply isn't happening.

wootawnee
12-11-2012, 12:57 PM

Go Steelers.

What , and lose 2 SB's to the G-men?.......Be careful what you wish for......

plenewken
12-11-2012, 01:16 PM
So?

I am the one who is being objective with sense. You are the one who is jumping on another team's bandwagon just because ours doesn't look so pretty at moment. I am a Steelers fan and I couldn't care less about the Patriots. The Patriots Fan Forum is thataway. You're perfectly free to quit rooting for this team if you wish.

The Steelers were terrible in the 80's, by the way.

It's fine if you want the Steelers to play better, I certainly do, but to say you want them to be like the Patriots is ridiculous. It simply isn't happening.

I'm not jumping on the Pats' bandwagon, I'm stating facts which show that not only their record is stronger than ours since 2000 but they don't lay eggs as frequently as we do, especially against weak teams and they're winning convincingly more often than we do.
So I hope our FO and our coaching staff look at the root causes and fix the problems.
That's all.

ZoneBlitzer
12-11-2012, 01:33 PM
Don't ever make a garbage topic like this again if you don't like what you're going to hear.

Guess what? The Steelers are not the Patriots and they're never going to be the Patriots. If you wanna go watch the Patriots, go be a Patriots fan. This topic is a pathetic pity-party crap demonstration of a loser mentality and it's sickening.

I think you're missing the point. I believe that what the OP was making reference was the Pats level of execution and efficiency. Is it so much to ask for that level of professionalism from the Steelers? I am sick and tired of seeing a sputtering offense and turnovers galore. I am also fed up of seeing them struggle and lose against lesser opponents. It's understandable if it occurs every once in awhile but what is occurring with this club has gone for some time now.

ETL
12-11-2012, 01:37 PM

Hey idiot - I am saying the same thing as you in the original post. I like our Steelers as is and point out that all these people complaining about the steelers may as well be pats fans.

Read the god damn post. Moron!

FanSince72
12-11-2012, 01:40 PM
because the Steelers don't cheat.

Well you know what they say...

...if you're not cheating, you're not trying. :applaudit:

FanSince72
12-11-2012, 01:44 PM

Could be worse.

We could still have Arians and be 9-4.

Who'd want that, right? :sofunny:

ETL
12-11-2012, 01:49 PM
I think you're missing the point. I believe that what the OP was making reference was the Pats level of execution and efficiency. Is it so much to ask for that level of professionalism from the Steelers? I am sick and tired of seeing a sputtering offense and turnovers galore. I am also fed up of seeing them struggle and lose against lesser opponents. It's understandable if it occurs every once in awhile but what is occurring with this club has gone for some time now.

Thank you. I respect what the Pats do but as I said in the original post, I think the Steelers formula is better when it comes to crunch time

FanSince72
12-11-2012, 01:51 PM
Thank you. I respect what the Pats do but as I said in the original post, I think the Steelers formula is better when it comes to crunch time

Yeah but when you consistently put 40 or 50 points on the board, there really IS no "crunch time" is there?

ETL
12-11-2012, 02:07 PM
Yeah but when you consistently put 40 or 50 points on the board, there really IS no "crunch time" is there?

Playoffs / Super Bowl = crunch time

FanSince72
12-11-2012, 02:12 PM
Playoffs / Super Bowl = crunch time

Well they've been to Five Super Bowls in 11 years and were a play or two away from winning all of them, so I'd say they're pretty good in crunch time.

ETL
12-11-2012, 02:53 PM
Well they've been to Five Super Bowls in 11 years and were a play or two away from winning all of them, so I'd say they're pretty good in crunch time.

Thanks but no thanks. I'll keep my Steelers

zcoop
12-11-2012, 03:24 PM

I'll keep my Steelers too, but the guy makes a valid point. I think he got you there.

GoFor7
12-11-2012, 03:26 PM
They may have choked in the playoffs before last year, but at least they put themselves in good position come playoff time.

ZoneBlitzer
12-11-2012, 03:33 PM
It's getting pretty damn close to crunch time now and I still see nothing resembling an "A" game from the Steelers. They've limped along all year long showing little improvement save for the adjustments Lebeau made to save the season.

Stairway to 7
12-11-2012, 03:52 PM
It's getting pretty damn close to crunch time now and I still see nothing resembling an "A" game from the Steelers. They've limped along all year long showing little improvement save for the adjustments Lebeau made to save the season.

Me neither, as a fan you watch the team for 3 months and you want to believe its better than it looks, but at what point do you stop kidding yourself?

If the lose Sunday, the season will just completely fizzle out. It's pretty close to that already.

ETL
12-11-2012, 03:54 PM
I'll keep my Steelers too, but the guy makes a valid point. I think he got you there.

It's not a valid point. Why can't both teams be good teams? Why does it have to be black or white to you folks. You guys act like my 8 year old kids having to need things to be so concrete. Things can be gray

In past 11 yrs - steelers go to 3 Super Bowls and win 2. The pats go to 5 and win 3. I'll keep my steelers thank you.

FanSince72
12-11-2012, 04:24 PM

So will I.

But it IS OK to compliment other teams (and maybe even learn from them). :hatsoff:

Ricco Suavez
12-11-2012, 05:03 PM
Bellichek is a mastermind at picking another teams defensive weaknesses. Brady usually makes quick decision and his hot route receivers Welker , Woodhead, Gronk, and Hernadez ALL more sure handed than all recievers except Heath. His small recievers catch balls in traffic and his big TE can't be covered effectively by LBers, plus did I mention they catch nearly everything. Throw in a quality OL and some timely run plays and they have the recipe for an explosive offense. They have spent most of their cap on Offense and the Defense has lacked for it the last few years. Come playoff time when the better teams line up with this offense and like the Giants slow it down they can't count on their Defense to hold serve and they have not won since they won the last of their three Superbowls. On top of that they have not won the big game since Spygate, they play in a weak divison, play consistently the weakest schedule even though they are suppose to play one of the tougher ones. Receive dubious calls that are even named for them remember"tuck rule" Brady is protected like Goodell's baby, and they are the media darlings and the poster child of what Goodell wants the NFL to become. So for me I want my Steelers to continue to play defense, have a somewhat balanced attack, make less errors both mental and physical, win with class and not with fake punts, kicks, or fouty down plays when up by 21 in the 4th qtr. So my answer would be HELL to the NO I dont want the Steelers to be like the Patriots.

BLACK_AND_YELLOW
12-11-2012, 06:06 PM
It's not a valid point. Why can't both teams be good teams? Why does it have to be black or white to you folks. You guys act like my 8 year old kids having to need things to be so concrete. Things can be gray

In past 11 yrs - steelers go to 3 Super Bowls and win 2. The pats go to 5 and win 3. I'll keep my steelers thank you.

Dont forget losing to the same team twice lmao

ETL
12-11-2012, 06:13 PM
So will I.

But it IS OK to compliment other teams (and maybe even learn from them). :hatsoff:

I don't understand. Where is our conflict? Have you not heard me compliment the pats throughout the post? I called them good and capable of winning the Super Bowl. Where is our conflict?

ETL
12-11-2012, 06:14 PM
Bellichek is a mastermind at picking another teams defensive weaknesses. Brady usually makes quick decision and his hot route receivers Welker , Woodhead, Gronk, and Hernadez ALL more sure handed than all recievers except Heath. His small recievers catch balls in traffic and his big TE can't be covered effectively by LBers, plus did I mention they catch nearly everything. Throw in a quality OL and some timely run plays and they have the recipe for an explosive offense. They have spent most of their cap on Offense and the Defense has lacked for it the last few years. Come playoff time when the better teams line up with this offense and like the Giants slow it down they can't count on their Defense to hold serve and they have not won since they won the last of their three Superbowls. On top of that they have not won the big game since Spygate, they play in a weak divison, play consistently the weakest schedule even though they are suppose to play one of the tougher ones. Receive dubious calls that are even named for them remember"tuck rule" Brady is protected like Goodell's baby, and they are the media darlings and the poster child of what Goodell wants the NFL to become. So for me I want my Steelers to continue to play defense, have a somewhat balanced attack, make less errors both mental and physical, win with class and not with fake punts, kicks, or fouty down plays when up by 21 in the 4th qtr. So my answer would be HELL to the NO I dont want the Steelers to be like the Patriots.

I agree. My thoughts exactly!

BrandonCarr39
12-11-2012, 06:26 PM
Brian Cushing's injury is starting to take its toll on Houston - the Texans will likely get that #1 seed, but could make an early exit in the playoffs b/c his absense has hurt their pass defense.

jiminpa
12-11-2012, 06:45 PM
They cheat. Period! The rulebook is rewritten for them in the middle of games, and that isn't enough. They cheat beyond that, and still how many championships do they have? I'd rather be a fan of a team that is hated for playing real football, and has rules written specifically to hinder it, and still manages to win championships.

jiminpa
12-11-2012, 06:47 PM
Bellichek is a mastermind at picking another teams defensive weaknesses. Brady usually makes quick decision and his hot route receivers Welker , Woodhead, Gronk, and Hernadez ALL more sure handed than all recievers except Heath. His small recievers catch balls in traffic and his big TE can't be covered effectively by LBers, plus did I mention they catch nearly everything. Throw in a quality OL and some timely run plays and they have the recipe for an explosive offense. They have spent most of their cap on Offense and the Defense has lacked for it the last few years. Come playoff time when the better teams line up with this offense and like the Giants slow it down they can't count on their Defense to hold serve and they have not won since they won the last of their three Superbowls. On top of that they have not won the big game since Spygate, they play in a weak divison, play consistently the weakest schedule even though they are suppose to play one of the tougher ones. Receive dubious calls that are even named for them remember"tuck rule" Brady is protected like Goodell's baby, and they are the media darlings and the poster child of what Goodell wants the NFL to become. So for me I want my Steelers to continue to play defense, have a somewhat balanced attack, make less errors both mental and physical, win with class and not with fake punts, kicks, or fouty down plays when up by 21 in the 4th qtr. So my answer would be HELL to the NO I dont want the Steelers to be like the Patriots.It's easy to appear to be a mastermind when you are monitoring the other teams calls.

FanSince72
12-11-2012, 06:55 PM
I don't understand. Where is our conflict? Have you not heard me compliment the pats throughout the post? I called them good and capable of winning the Super Bowl. Where is our conflict?

What conflict are you referring to? :noidea:

I said I'm a Steeler fan but I admire the Pats.

And that's a problem because...?

Ricco Suavez
12-11-2012, 07:19 PM
I have always said there was more to Spygate than the league let on. With that said though Bellichek is a top notch coach, the Patriots have benefited from drafting a little know QB named Brady who has blossomed into one of the two best QBs to have played in the last 20 years, IMO. Do I like him or the Patriots, no freaking way, but they are good and they have had a mental toughness that reflects Belichek. Too bad I think they benefited from some shady dealings also.

teegre
12-11-2012, 07:22 PM
They cheat. Period! The rulebook is rewritten for them in the middle of games, and that isn't enough. They cheat beyond that, and still how many championships do they have?

Tuck rule... cha-ching.
Argh!!!

Spy-gate... uh... slap on the wrist... but, ultimately, NO more Lombardis.
Ha, ha!!!

I'd rather be a fan of a team that is hated for playing real football, and has rules written specifically to hinder it, and still manages to win championships.

Mel Blount rule... NFL scowls at Steelers... Steelers proceed to win the next two SuperBowls.
Mu-ha-ha-ha!!!

rich4eagle
12-11-2012, 07:57 PM

Go Steelers.

Simple why! Because Tomlin is too Fing conservative unless the Steelers are behind. Belichick gets it, Tomlin needs to get it:tt04:

ETL
12-11-2012, 07:59 PM
What conflict are you referring to? :noidea:

I said I'm a Steeler fan but I admire the Pats.

And that's a problem because...?

Dude you posted a statement starting with the word "but". I don't know what part of the country you learned English but when you use the word "but" you mean to contradict what someone has previously said

"But it IS OK to compliment other teams (and maybe even learn from them). "

I agree with you. The Pats are good. It is ok to compliment them. That is why I am confused. Why would you use "but" as if I disagreed with that statement?

That's what I mean by "conflict"

zcoop
12-11-2012, 08:48 PM

You need to to cut the shit buddy. Three is more than two, I don't care what dressing you put on them. Quit trying to obfuscate on the topic. You got your ass handled by the guy, man up.

maddog78
12-11-2012, 08:50 PM
Simple why! Because Tomlin is too Fing conservative unless the Steelers are behind. Belichick gets it, Tomlin needs to get it:tt04:

Not just Tomlin. This team hasn't had a dynamic offense since the late 70s. For all the talent, they're always outside of the top 10 in scoring.

ETL
12-11-2012, 09:01 PM
You need to to cut the shit buddy. Three is more than two, I don't care what dressing you put on them. Quit trying to obfuscate on the topic. You got your ass handled by the guy, man up.

Who are you? His ass buddy? Get a life.

zcoop
12-11-2012, 09:06 PM
Who are you? His ass buddy? Get a life.

Just stating some facts. You spend more time on these boards that I ever will. I have a life.

ETL
12-11-2012, 09:07 PM
Not just Tomlin. This team hasn't had a dynamic offense since the late 70s. For all the talent, they're always outside of the top 10 in scoring.

Which is a part of my original point. There have been many teams with a dynamic offenses such as the old run and gun oilers, falcons and lions and the greatest show on turf rams but they rarely win the Super Bowl. I know it's fun to watch and less stressful for a fan to follow if the team has a big lead but defenses seem to win championships.

However - I must confess that may be a thing of the past as there have been a lot of rule changes to favor the offense and make scoring easier and harder to intimidate the offense. Defense winning championships may no longer hold.

steelfury02
12-11-2012, 09:42 PM
Which is a part of my original point. There have been many teams with a dynamic offenses such as the old run and gun oilers, falcons and lions and the greatest show on turf rams but they rarely win the Super Bowl. I know it's fun to watch and less stressful for a fan to follow if the team has a big lead but defenses seem to win championships.

However - I must confess that may be a thing of the past as there have been a lot of rule changes to favor the offense and make scoring easier and harder to intimidate the offense. Defense winning championships may no longer hold.

if there were ever a team to buck trends, its the Steelers. I really believe being able to score 24-27 points a game, winning TOP, not turning the ball over, and just having a bend but not break D is all it will take. They have to play mistake free and put together at least 3 to 4 TD drives with a couple more field goals every game. I don't believe they need to drop 35-50 some points to win it all. I think this team could be 9-4 or 10-3 without the fumbling. I think they have turned it over 16 times in the past 4 games, and we haven't even gotten into the dumb ass penalties!

JeromeBetties63
12-11-2012, 10:45 PM
Because we are not coached by Satan.

desertsteel
12-11-2012, 11:09 PM
Thinking it over....

Why, so the Patriots could have some real fans? No thanks.

FanSince72
12-11-2012, 11:36 PM
Dude you posted a statement starting with the word "but". I don't know what part of the country you learned English but when you use the word "but" you mean to contradict what someone has previously said

"But it IS OK to compliment other teams (and maybe even learn from them). "

I agree with you. The Pats are good. It is ok to compliment them. That is why I am confused. Why would you use "but" as if I disagreed with that statement?

That's what I mean by "conflict"

First of all, let me point out that if you wish to identify someone's deficiencies in the usage of a language, you should first make sure that your own usage is correct otherwise the veracity of your criticism diminishes considerably. I trust that you have the ability to identify that to which I am referring, so I'll not bother to dwell on this particular issue.

That said, a linguist such as yourself must surely know that there are many uses of the word, "but".

My particular usage of this word, as referenced in your critique, is as an intensifier to introduce an exclamatory expression, an example of which might be: "But you said we were going to the movies."

Ergo, my statement; "But it IS OK to compliment other teams (and maybe even learn from them)", is not used in disagreement but is rather used simply as a means of emphasizing my assertion that one can admire and quite possibly learn from the play of other teams participating in the National Football League despite proclaiming dedication to a different team.

I hope that this will serve to clarify any misunderstanding.

But it's OK with me if it doesn't. :sofunny:

ETL
12-11-2012, 11:46 PM
First of all, let me point out that if you wish to identify someone's deficiencies in the usage of a language, you should first make sure that your own usage is correct otherwise the veracity of your criticism diminishes considerably. I trust that you have the ability to identify that to which I am referring, so I'll not bother to dwell on this particular issue.

That said, a linguist such as yourself must surely know that there are many uses of the word, "but".

My particular usage of this word, as referenced in your critique, is as an intensifier to introduce an exclamatory expression, an example of which might be: "But you said we were going to the movies."

Ergo, my statement; "But it IS OK to compliment other teams (and maybe even learn from them). " is not used in disagreement but is rather used simply as a means of emphasizing my assertion that one can admire and quite possibly learn from the play of other teams participating in the National Football League despite proclaiming dedication to a particular team.

I hope that this will serve to clarify any misunderstanding. :sofunny:

Sure - clarification received but still confusing. To me, its like saying ... "But, the sky is blue."

Using a "but" to say something in agreement as an "intensifier" on a message board where the receiver cannot hear your tone or cadence can easily lend to this confusion so I recommend that you do not use it in the future ... unless of course you type out this "clarification" every time you use it.

FanSince72
12-11-2012, 11:53 PM
Sure - clarification received but still confusing. To me, its like saying ... "But, the sky is blue."

Using a "but" to say something in agreement as an "intensifier" on a message board where the receiver cannot hear your tone or cadence can easily lend to this confusion so I recommend that you do not use it in the future ... unless of course you type out this "clarification" every time you use it.

Or the reader could simply remove the stick from his ass and move on.

ETL
12-11-2012, 11:56 PM
Or the reader could simply remove the stick from his ass and move on.

BUT should I remove the stick or is the stick in your BUT

FanSince72
12-11-2012, 11:57 PM
BUT should I remove the stick or is the stick in your BUT

I can't speak for you, but MY Butt has two "T's" (and a few pimples).

ETL
12-11-2012, 11:59 PM
I can't speak for you, but MY Butt has two "T's" (and a few pimples).

Love your self - deprecation. :chuckle: Ok - peace. (I was trying to go for the double entendre BUTT I guess it didn't work)

FanSince72
12-12-2012, 12:02 AM
Love your self - deprecation. :chuckle: Ok - peace. (I was trying to go for the double entendre BUTT I guess it didn't work)

And I was going to ask if this was the five-minute argument or the full half-hour...

BUT it's getting late (couldn't resist).

Cheers :drink:

Lady Steel
12-12-2012, 12:35 AM
I guess if it's not the Steelers in the SB, I don't want anyone in it let alone win, lol.

But I thought you didn't want the Steelers in the playoffs because you didn't want to be disappointed. And to get to the Super Bowl the Steelers have to make the playoffs. Color me confused.

OliverPoop
12-12-2012, 12:44 AM

So let me get this straight it's not because the Steelers suck it's because they don't want to put too many points on the board and risk being classless. Now I see.

And seriously can we please stop with this arrogant notion that the Pittsburgh Steelers are this "classy" organization who always do the right thing and have no troubled players. Ta'amu anyone?

steelers33
12-12-2012, 12:46 AM
Funny feeling, but we are going to beat the Patriots in the playoffs. With Ike back, i think our secondary can handle their receivers. And their defense, while they may be good against the run, I still doubt their team speed severely and I think our weapons can exploit that. We would have to go through Denver first however, but I think we would be able to run the ball against them and Manning has never been known as a playoff performer. Yes I know I am looking way ahead, but the Steelers are a good football team and I think they'll prove it.

OliverPoop
12-12-2012, 01:00 AM
Funny feeling, but we are going to beat the Patriots in the playoffs. With Ike back, i think our secondary can handle their receivers. And their defense, while they may be good against the run, I still doubt their team speed severely and I think our weapons can exploit that. We would have to go through Denver first however, but I think we would be able to run the ball against them and Manning has never been known as a playoff performer. Yes I know I am looking way ahead, but the Steelers are a good football team and I think they'll prove it.

Put down the crack pipe!
You apparently don't remember Steelers playoff performance against the Brady led Pats.

fansince'76
12-12-2012, 01:09 AM
Put down the crack pipe!
You apparently don't remember Steelers playoff performance against the Brady led Pats.

Dude - that was EIGHT years ago with a rookie QB.

teegre
12-12-2012, 01:10 AM
Dude - that was EIGHT years ago with a rookie QB.

...and videotapes of the practices.

SteelersCanada
12-12-2012, 01:19 AM
Are people forgetting the complete and total ass whipping we gave them last year? Keep in mind, this is a Patriots team with largely the same roster in place. Great, they added Talib, but he's by no means a shut down corner and struggles with speedy WRs - something we have an abundance of.

I'll take Brown / Sanders on Kyle Arrington all day, please and thanks.

steelerschik
12-12-2012, 07:00 AM
But I thought you didn't want the Steelers in the playoffs because you didn't want to be disappointed. And to get to the Super Bowl the Steelers have to make the playoffs. Color me confused.

Get over it already. Of course I only want to see the Steelers in the SB EVERY YEAR. They aren't playing like a PO team THIS YEAR, this ain't their year which isn't the end of the world. Maybe they should sit at home and watch the POs instead of getting in just to play shitty half assed ball. Some people like to be realistic about their teams issues, others like to be delusional. It's not really that difficult to figure out.

steelfury02
12-12-2012, 09:36 AM
Get over it already. Of course I only want to see the Steelers in the SB EVERY YEAR. They aren't playing like a PO team THIS YEAR, this ain't their year which isn't the end of the world. Maybe they should sit at home and watch the POs instead of getting in just to play shitty half assed ball. Some people like to be realistic about their teams issues, others like to be delusional. It's not really that difficult to figure out.

the comparisons to the XL squad when we reached 7-5 without Ben @ M&T were warranted. We all thought that outcome would be the thing that galvanized the team, then they come out and think they'll show up and they blow it. Records aside (if we end up at 10-6 or 9-7 and in) - the lack of leadership right now and the responsibility it brings, however intangible, is an obstacle that the 05 Steelers didn't have. Who is going to be the Jerome and Joey Porter in the locker room to rally the troops - to instill fear in the opposition, and help convince this team that they should have nothing to fear, and to play balls to the wall every single snap? This team has to gather every last thread of determination and heart that it has left and do what seems to be highly unlikely. It can be done - but for the realists, this will be not only the hardest path to the SB, but the largest collection of self-inflicted obstacles to overcome, not even counting injuries

steelerschik
12-12-2012, 09:52 AM
the comparisons to the XL squad when we reached 7-5 without Ben @ M&T were warranted. We all thought that outcome would be the thing that galvanized the team, then they come out and think they'll show up and they blow it. Records aside (if we end up at 10-6 or 9-7 and in) - the lack of leadership right now and the responsibility it brings, however intangible, is an obstacle that the 05 Steelers didn't have. Who is going to be the Jerome and Joey Porter in the locker room to rally the troops - to instill fear in the opposition, and help convince this team that they should have nothing to fear, and to play balls to the wall every single snap? This team has to gather every last thread of determination and heart that it has left and do what seems to be highly unlikely. It can be done - but for the realists, this will be not only the hardest path to the SB, but the largest collection of self-inflicted obstacles to overcome, not even counting injuries

I would love to believe Ben is that kind of motivator in the locker room or Woodley or Wallace, etc. They should all be motivators especially after that performance against SD. Funny thing, I didn't feel like they were that bad of a team in 2005, they had glimmers. I'm not feeling that this season, I haven't seen them play in a fashion where I could say to myself "gee if they play like that in the POs...." Not gonna happen every year. Isn't this like the every 3 year thing the Steelers go through? Don't know. Can't wait to see which team shows up to play in Dallas. I know the Cincy/Cleveland games are more important to us, but I don't loathe them the way I despise Dallas so a win by 1, 2 or 3 would not only complete the NFC East sweep, but make this season more pleasurable.

steelfury02
12-12-2012, 10:03 AM
The Cincy and NYG game were the two shining moments for this team. I haven't seen it since, except in the Baltimore game.

I dunno - seems like these guys are more interested in posting contests to their face book pages and marketing themselves rather than being football players. They are human beings - but, how about get down to business from September to February!?

steelerschik
12-12-2012, 10:09 AM
The Cincy and NYG game were the two shining moments for this team. I haven't seen it since, except in the Baltimore game.

I dunno - seems like these guys are more interested in posting contests to their face book pages and marketing themselves rather than being football players. They are human beings - but, how about get down to business from September to February!?

Yeah, those 2 games were by far the best this season; maybe even add the second half of the Jets game and MAYBE. The Baltimore game was played with heart and emotion, and that's something I haven't seen enough of this year. Two to 3 good games out of a season isn't acceptable if you want to be considered a PO team. I can't get past Tenn, Oakland, Cleveland, SD and even KC. They need to play with that heart and emotion they played in Baltimore for these next 3 games then hopefully they can save themselves from....themselves.

i82much
12-13-2012, 11:09 AM
Ravens fan here. I hate this thread, because I know it's true. The NFL has become a watered-down arena league. Yeah I still watch. But it makes me sick to see all the drive-sustaining calls the offenses get these days. I think it is a result of a conscious decision by the NFL to bring in money by elevating idols like Manning and, worst of all, Brady. Defensive-oriented teams have tried to adjust but at the end of the day playing good old-school football doesn't get it done anymore.

I have no doubt that with 1970's rules and referees the last decade of football would have turned out very, very differently.

steelfury02
12-13-2012, 12:57 PM
Ravens fan here. I hate this thread, because I know it's true. The NFL has become a watered-down arena league. Yeah I still watch. But it makes me sick to see all the drive-sustaining calls the offenses get these days. I think it is a result of a conscious decision by the NFL to bring in money by elevating idols like Manning and, worst of all, Brady. Defensive-oriented teams have tried to adjust but at the end of the day playing good old-school football doesn't get it done anymore.

I have no doubt that with 1970's rules and referees the last decade of football would have turned out very, very differently.

you're right - just the way civilization is going in general. People just aren't goin to accept the brutal effects in the nation's most popular sport. what's weird to me anyways, is that Boxing and UFC are far more violent - UFC is gaining in popularity, but isn't getting much attention in terms of zeroing in on the brutal hits, because it isn't mainstream.

Does anyone have an article or quote to show if concussions have actually gone down since the increase in discipline for head hits? My guess is that the number of concussions are the same, or only very slightly less. I just don't see, unless you eliminate sacking the QB or tackling altogether, concussions being limited that much.

6RingsAndCounting
12-13-2012, 01:14 PM
you're right - just the way civilization is going in general. People just aren't goin to accept the brutal effects in the nation's most popular sport. what's weird to me anyways, is that Boxing and UFC are far more violent - UFC is gaining in popularity, but isn't getting much attention in terms of zeroing in on the brutal hits, because it isn't mainstream.

Does anyone have an article or quote to show if concussions have actually gone down since the increase in discipline for head hits? My guess is that the number of concussions are the same, or only very slightly less. I just don't see, unless you eliminate sacking the QB or tackling altogether, concussions being limited that much.

Honestly concussions reported have probably went up. Players are actually forced to report to trainers now instead of hiding it.

steelfury02
12-13-2012, 01:33 PM
Honestly concussions reported have probably went up. Players are actually forced to report to trainers now instead of hiding it.

didn't think of that - very true - so then it might be hard to actually have concrete evidence since so much of it went un reported. I guess the research should just look into the past 2-3 seasons?

6RingsAndCounting
12-13-2012, 01:59 PM
didn't think of that - very true - so then it might be hard to actually have concrete evidence since so much of it went un reported. I guess the research should just look into the past 2-3 seasons?

It will probably take a few years before they can get actual proof that what dictator Goodell did helped.

i82much
12-13-2012, 04:21 PM

I think concussions have actually increased as a result of the rules to help offenses. Think about 20 years ago - how did you play coverage? You blanket your man down the field, jostling for position on the ball.

Now, they throw a flag for the slightest bit of contact. So how do you play coverage? You see a lot more zone, and you see a lot more coverage playing "off" of the receiver so you don't get the flag. So instead, what do you do? You wait for the exact instant the ball gets there and nail the guy. Result? More touchdowns, more flags, and more concussions.

The_Joker
12-13-2012, 04:33 PM
Eh, the NFL ain't doomed, but it sure has been softened. It ain't awful, the players won't let become awful... I think.

ETL
12-13-2012, 06:10 PM
I think concussions have actually increased as a result of the rules to help offenses. Think about 20 years ago - how did you play coverage? You blanket your man down the field, jostling for position on the ball.

Now, they throw a flag for the slightest bit of contact. So how do you play coverage? You see a lot more zone, and you see a lot more coverage playing "off" of the receiver so you don't get the flag. So instead, what do you do? You wait for the exact instant the ball gets there and nail the guy. Result? More touchdowns, more flags, and more concussions.

Good Point! Zone defense is more prevalent now and that means the defenders get a running start to hit the receiver.

BKAnthem
12-13-2012, 06:12 PM

WTF??? Dude this is pro football, you don't wanna get blown out...then stop the other team from scoring, you play to the final whistle bottom line...you want a mercy rule go watch pop warner

6RingsAndCounting
12-13-2012, 06:35 PM
WTF??? Dude this is pro football, you don't wanna get blown out...then stop the other team from scoring, you play to the final whistle bottom line...you want a mercy rule go watch pop warner

I'm gonna guess that he was being sarcastic.

Ricco Suavez
12-13-2012, 06:57 PM
Why can't we be like Superman, or maybe Spiderman. While we at it why can't I be more like Brad Pitt and my wife AnJolie. A person can obsess too much on what they don't have and lose sight of what we DO HAVE.

teegre
12-13-2012, 08:12 PM

Inetersting point.

BlaZeQuietly
12-13-2012, 08:40 PM
Why can't we be like Superman, or maybe Spiderman. While we at it why can't I be more like Brad Pitt and my wife AnJolie. A person can obsess too much on what they don't have and lose sight of what we DO HAVE.

We ain't got shit budday:chuckle:

btaylor179
12-13-2012, 08:56 PM
yea i wish we were as good as pats.......coach is alot better

IowaSteeler927
12-14-2012, 03:36 AM
I think a lot of guys just need to step up their game. We have quite a few goats on this team that are getting paid a shit ton of money to play the game of football. Mike Wallace is a prime example of everything that's been wrong with our offense. His play has been below average for a guy that touts himself as a #1 type of receiver and was whining in the off season for Larry Fitz money. He drops passes (easy ones), takes plays off, and is at best a mediocre blocker. I honestly thought Plax put out a better effort than Wallace. Mendenhall is another goat. Numbnuts didn't even show up because he knew he was on the inactive list by his own admission. I don't know but I'm pretty sure Troy was on the sideline supporting his teammates when he was hurt. Mendenhall is selfish and doesn't give a damn about his teammates or the fans and he showed that when he got himself suspended. He's had opportunities to take control of the running game and to show of his alleged starting talent and has done nothing. He should be trying to step up and be a leader, instead he's a goat just like Wallace.

The offensive line also seems to have lost the mean streak it had with a healthy Willie Colon. Since he injured his knee the o-line play overall has gone downhill. It's amazing Ben wasn't carted off the field last Sunday. He took an absolute pounding. Sometimes it was because his style of play but for the most part it was because of the o-line's inability to properly protect him. The running game has been also been non-existent for the past few weeks. Our running backs are nothing spectacular in my personal opinion but they've played well when the o-line has played well. If the o-line can get better the running game will get better as well.

My biggest gripe though is with the offensive playcalling. Haley impressed me early on in the season but his playcalling has steadily worsened. We are becoming predictable. Ben seems to be at his best when he's calling the plays and running the no huddle offense. Haley's offense seems to rely heavily on utilizing the run game to open up the passing game via play action. This would be fine if our running game was a factor but it hasn't been and yet they still try to reestablish it week after week and run, run, run when it just plain isn't working. Let Ben do his thing, that's when the offense is at it's best.

The defense has been the bright spot over the past couple of games but against the Chargers they got exposed. I think it was mostly because Ike Taylor wasn't on the field. For all the Ike Taylor naysayers this game should've shown you just how well this guy has played, and just how much he means to this defense. We've been #1 against the pass for a reason and that's due mostly to Ike and Keenan holding it down in the secondary. The ineffective play of the secondary against the Chargers allowed them to establish their running game in the second half which ultimately killed any chances we had to come back and win the game.

Ziggy Hood is another guy that has pissed me off this season. Hood and Timmons were two guys at the beginning of the season that to me, needed to step up and prove they are worthy of the Steelers uniform. Timmons has undoubtedly proven that, Hood on the other hand has not. At times Hood will make a play here and there but for the most part I see teams specifically running the ball right at him because they know he's questionable in run defense. He has got to pull his head out of his ass and start playing up to his potential. The guy is a physical specimen and there's no excuse for him not performing up to his talent.

Rick5895
12-14-2012, 05:25 AM
I haven't posted on this thread, until now, simply because I find there are too many threads that pop up here similar to this one. Why can't we be like...., lets go get free agent so and so....
Here's a thought....Why cant we be more like .......wait for it.....THE PITTSBURGH STEELERS!!!!!!!! Be the QB sacking, Turnover forcing defense that most of us know and love!!! Why can't we be the run the ball down your throat, big pass play offense we know is in there!!!
That is the team I want to see, not the friggin Patriots!

The_Joker
12-14-2012, 05:31 AM
Here's a thought....Why cant we be more like .......wait for it.....THE PITTSBURGH STEELERS!!!!!!!! Be the QB sacking, Turnover forcing defense that most of us know and love!!! Why can't we be the run the ball down your throat, big pass play offense we know is in there!!!

:drink:

steelfury02
12-14-2012, 09:03 AM
I hope they have it in them to do all of the above.

Lady Steel
12-14-2012, 12:55 PM
I haven't posted on this thread, until now, simply because I find there are too many threads that pop up here similar to this one. Why can't we be like...., lets go get free agent so and so....

Totally agree with you. Who the heck wants to be like the Patriots? They're so, um, gay. :laughing:

I just want my Steelers back, dammit! :tt: