PDA

View Full Version : More injuries in secondary

Atlanta Dan
12-11-2012, 01:25 PM
This is just great

Coach Mike Tomlin will have to do more than juggle his offensive line for Sunday's game in Dallas; he will have to do much the same with his secondary because of the possibility of losing another cornerback.

Guard Willie Colon, who aggravated a left knee injury against the San Diego Chargers, had surgery Monday and will miss at least the next two games and probably the rest of the regular season.

Tomlin said they will wait to see how Colon's knee responds to the surgery before making a determination if he can play again this season.

Also, cornerback Cortez Allen, who has replaced injured starter Ike Taylor, has a hip flexor injury that Tomlin said could keep him out of the game against the Cowboys. Taylor will miss his second game in a row with a hairline fracture of his right ankle.

Cornerback Keenan Lewis also sustained a hip flexor injury against the Chargers, but Tomlin indicated his injury is not as severe.

He said Allen's injury will force the Steelers to get Curtis Brown, Josh Victorian and DeMarcus Van Dyke ready to play in the secondary. Brown, who moved up to nickel back with Taylor's injury, was eventually benched against the Chargers because he struggled in coverage, especially on third down.

Tomlin said the Steelers might have to simplify their defense to make sure his inexperienced cornerbacks don't struggle as they did against the Chargers, who converted 12 of 22 third downs.

"It's not about what we call; it's about what they can execute," Tomlin said.

With Colon out, Tomlin indicated it is possible that rookie No. 1 David DeCastro could play at right guard and Ramon Foster would switch to left guard against the Cowboys

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/tomlin-outlines-more-injuries-to-steelers-665884/

Hopefully things get better for the Cincinnati game:banging:

austinfrench76
12-11-2012, 01:32 PM
This would be a killer. The only thing that helps is Dex Bryant will probably be out, even with that - WE NEED A PASS RUSH OR WE ARE TOAST.

ZoneBlitzer
12-11-2012, 01:40 PM
This is why losses to lesser opponents will end up doing them in. It has left them with very little wiggle room and contingency. That is why you must beat the opponents you are supposed to beat and you must beat them convincingly. If they lose or something controversial happens like a blown call or injury, the Steelers will have no one to blame but themselves.

Fire Haley
12-11-2012, 01:48 PM
Allen's injury will force the Steelers to get Curtis Brown, Josh Victorian and DeMarcus Van Dyke ready to play in the secondary

can it get any worse?

tburhans
12-11-2012, 02:09 PM
Victorian was atleast near the receiver when he caught the ball. Brown was trying to catch up so he could grab anything to get his hands on. Victorian was decent in preseason which is nothing special but I am optimistic that he will be serviceable for atleast one game

Fire Arians
12-11-2012, 02:11 PM
Allen's injury will force the Steelers to get Curtis Brown, Josh Victorian and DeMarcus Van Dyke ready to play in the secondary

can it get any worse?

yes :chuckle:

Riddle_Of_Steel
12-11-2012, 02:16 PM
Where's HIPCHEST? Are you still sure that the only reasons behind why the Steelers have been the most injured team is because:

* The players are lazy and don't condition enough?
* The Steelers play so much more physical football than the other 31 teams?

Are you absolutely SURE the Steelers don't need to look at revising their offseason workout program at all?

Just this season alone, we lost games due to:

* Missing QB
* Missing backup QB
* Missing 3 of 5 starters on Oline
* Missing 1st, 2nd, 3rd round picks
* Missing 3 of 4 CBs in the secondary
* Missing Polamalu (the 2008 version, not the oft-injured 2010 - 2012 version)
* Missing Woodley
* Kinda having James Harrison back
* Most of Dline on shakey knees
* Can't keep any RB healthy for more than 2 weeks at a time

The list is long and keeps growing...

StainlessStill
12-11-2012, 02:22 PM

can it get any worse?

No. It can't.

steelfury02
12-11-2012, 02:42 PM
sure it can. Ben or Troy will get re-injured.

Eff it man. What a joke these injuries are. Way too much to overcome. No one, not even the XLV Fudgers can overcome this.

Stairway to 7
12-11-2012, 02:45 PM
I'm not buying the injury excuse any longer, as they have played down to AND lost to, 4 terrible opponents and looked awful against the Chefs, conversely they have played very well vs Cinn, Balti rats twice, NYG, WASH and did ok in Denver on opening night.

Whoever is in or out makes no difference, the team plays up or down to its opponent week in and week out.

That's on Captain Cliche, the coaching staff AND the players.

Steelerfan81
12-11-2012, 02:48 PM
Someone needs to call Ron Bartell up or put a waiver claim in. Whatever it takes. We need someone cause Brown has shown nothing. If Allen can't go we're in big trouble. ESPN reporting Dez wants to play.

steelfury02
12-11-2012, 02:48 PM
I'm with you on the injury excuse, but seriously - all O-line injuries aside since 07 season, WHAT THE EFF!?!? Someone on this team or coaching staff has to be bringing some awful Karma to the table.

casteeler
12-11-2012, 02:55 PM
This is where Tomlin's in house fixes are hurting this team. The Steelers needed a CB to replace Gay when he left and instead of trading or drafting a CB the Steelers decided to ignore the need. I realize the offensive line took center stage but the CB issue should have been aggressively addressed.

StainlessStill
12-11-2012, 03:17 PM
Ike Taylor was playing at a Pro Bowl level. Keenan Lewis was also. We did address corner. That's why you see guys such as Lewis, Brown, Allen and now Victorian out there.

I don't know. This could turn ugly.

jjpro11
12-11-2012, 03:31 PM
2011 all over again.. I mean, are you fucking kidding me with the injuries again? This season is turning into a mirror image of last season and will likely end in Denver again.. If we make it there this time.

ZoneBlitzer
12-11-2012, 03:42 PM
Where's HIPCHEST? Are you still sure that the only reasons behind why the Steelers have been the most injured team is because:

* The players are lazy and don't condition enough?
* The Steelers play so much more physical football than the other 31 teams?

Are you absolutely SURE the Steelers don't need to look at revising their offseason workout program at all?

Just this season alone, we lost games due to:

* Missing QB
* Missing backup QB
* Missing 3 of 5 starters on Oline
* Missing 1st, 2nd, 3rd round picks
* Missing 3 of 4 CBs in the secondary
* Missing Polamalu (the 2008 version, not the oft-injured 2010 - 2012 version)

* Missing Woodley
* Kinda having James Harrison back
* Most of Dline on shakey knees
* Can't keep any RB healthy for more than 2 weeks at a time

The list is long and keeps growing...

Woodley is horribly conditioned. Even his conditioning coach spoke out about he needs to work on his hamstrings.

Stairway to 7
12-11-2012, 03:46 PM
Woodley is horribly conditioned. Even his conditioning coach spoke out about he needs to work on his hamstrings.

Woodley is gonna replace Casey Hampton next season, that's the plan.

Another guy that got paid and got fat, he's gotta be over 300lbs the fat fuck.

teegre
12-11-2012, 04:20 PM
Woodley is gonna replace Casey Hampton next season, that's the plan.

OMG!!! That made my day.

Best post of the season.

steelfury02
12-11-2012, 04:21 PM
I think Woodley needs to do something about this:
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lowwgvETsx1qc65ofo1_500.jpg

Riddle_Of_Steel
12-11-2012, 04:23 PM

Evidently-- he injures that thing every season around this time. He is getting paid way too much money to only be around for 5 games a season.

Pouncey's annual twisted ankle, and Colon's yearly visit to IR are becoming pretty repetitive as well.

Maybe Tomlin needs to crank up the heat for next year's OTAs and camp? The "camp cupcake" thing is NOT working. These guys are WELL-PAID professionals-- nobody should be "playing their way back to health".

steelfury02
12-11-2012, 04:26 PM
Evidently-- he injures that thing every season around this time. He is getting paid way too much money to only be around for 5 games a season.

Pouncey's annual twisted ankle, and Colon's yearly visit to IR are becoming pretty repetitive as well.

Maybe Tomlin needs to crank up the heat for next year's OTAs and camp? The "camp cupcake" thing is NOT working. These guys are WELL-PAID professionals-- nobody should be "playing their way back to health".

yea, the fat-fudgeness needs to stop

GoFor7
12-11-2012, 04:27 PM

The coaches can only do what the CBA allows in that regard. Besides, these guys, as professional football players should know well enough that they need to stay in shape in the offseason without someone telling them to.

Fire Haley
12-11-2012, 04:33 PM
can't you hicks keep at least one thread on-topic?

Ike says he'll be back - sometime

“The movement is better, the pain has gone down, the swelling went down, but we can‘t forget that I still have a fracture,” Taylor said during his weekly show on TribLive Radio. “I am still going to take my time, but I am feeling a lot better than a week ago. We are going to see what‘s going on next week with it and take it from there.

http://sulia.com/channel/pittsburgh-steelers/f/9132dea7-4792-483f-9613-0e018294c166/?source=twitter

fansince'76
12-11-2012, 04:38 PM
Maybe Tomlin needs to crank up the heat for next year's OTAs and camp? The "camp cupcake" thing is NOT working.

You mean like he did for his first training camp in 2007 when the entire team hit the wall in December and was just as much of a MASH unit as it is now?

steelfury02
12-11-2012, 04:41 PM
can't you hicks keep at least one thread on-topic?

Ike says he'll be back - sometime

“The movement is better, the pain has gone down, the swelling went down, but we can‘t forget that I still have a fracture,” Taylor said during his weekly show on TribLive Radio. “I am still going to take my time, but I am feeling a lot better than a week ago. We are going to see what‘s going on next week with it and take it from there.

http://sulia.com/channel/pittsburgh-steelers/f/9132dea7-4792-483f-9613-0e018294c166/?source=twitter

it is on topic - concerning injuries, hell a CB could probably make more impact from the D-line than Woodley can lol

fansince'76
12-11-2012, 05:02 PM
This is where Tomlin's in house fixes are hurting this team. The Steelers needed a CB to replace Gay when he left and instead of trading or drafting a CB the Steelers decided to ignore the need. I realize the offensive line took center stage but the CB issue should have been aggressively addressed.

They did. In 2011, when they took CBs in the third and fourth round...

tony hipchest
12-11-2012, 05:49 PM

can it get any worse?william gay? mcfadden?

steelerfans HATED those guys....

casteeler
12-11-2012, 07:27 PM
[QUOTE=fansince'76;1062310]They did. In 2011, when they took CBs in the third and fourth round...[

Gay left in 2012, I know they took 2 CBs in 2011.

Riddle_Of_Steel
12-11-2012, 08:29 PM
You mean like he did for his first training camp in 2007 when the entire team hit the wall in December and was just as much of a MASH unit as it is now?

Beg to differ. Who were we missing by the time our playoff game against the Jags rolled around?

That year, Ben had a career season (32 TDs, 7 INTs), Parker was leading the NFL in yards rushing, and our defense was playing LIGHTS OUT from day 1 instead of "playing their way back to shape" midseason.

We did not hit a wall-- Aaron Smith got hurt and we did not have a suitable replacement at he time. Polamalu got hurt (yearly occurance, regardless of conditioning), but we kept our Oline mostly intact throughout the year and didn't have a different set of guys in te esecondary week to week.

maddog78
12-11-2012, 08:48 PM
Can't win for losing this year. Never seen an injury bug like this. Can't blame it all on age, young guys going down.

By the way, if Woodley suits up this week, it will be the first time since December 4, 2011, that Woodley, Harrison, Polamalu, and Clark have played together.

Fire Haley
12-12-2012, 02:08 AM
it is on topic - concerning injuries

jibber jabber jibber jabber jibber jabber

just the facts ma'am

Fire Haley
12-12-2012, 11:48 AM
In case you were wondering...

Dez Bryant meeting w/ doctor, not practicing

http://www.rotoworld.com/sports/nfl/football

steelfury02
12-12-2012, 11:51 AM
jibber jabber jibber jabber jibber jabber

just the facts ma'am

http://assets.diylol.com/hfs/065/ec1/d96/resized/randy-marsh-meme-generator-im-sorry-i-thought-this-was-an-off-topic-forum-900dea.jpg

Fire Haley
12-12-2012, 01:44 PM
see what I mean?

jibber jabber

Looks like Keenan Lewis will play at least

An opportunity for young corners

The Steelers beat up secondary could mean more playing time for some young players this week.

Cornerback Ike Taylor has already been ruled out with an ankle injury, and his replacement Cortez Allen suffered a hip flexor against the Chargers that will limit him in practice this week and has his game time availability in question. Keenan Lewis also has a hip flexor, but he is expected to play on Sunday.

http://blog.steelers.com/2012/12/11/an-opportunity-for-young-corners/

jjpro11
12-12-2012, 05:05 PM
Beg to differ. Who were we missing by the time our playoff game against the Jags rolled around?

That year, Ben had a career season (32 TDs, 7 INTs), Parker was leading the NFL in yards rushing, and our defense was playing LIGHTS OUT from day 1 instead of "playing their way back to shape" midseason.

We did not hit a wall-- Aaron Smith got hurt and we did not have a suitable replacement at he time. Polamalu got hurt (yearly occurance, regardless of conditioning), but we kept our Oline mostly intact throughout the year and didn't have a different set of guys in te esecondary week to week.

We were also missing Parker (our Offensive MVP) and I am almost certain Starks or someone else important on the oline was out too. We were the walking dead heading into that game.

Hawaii 5-0
12-14-2012, 06:08 PM
Steelers to field thin secondary at Dallas

By Alan Robinson
Published: Thursday, December 13, 2012

http://triblive.com/csp/mediapool/sites/dt.common.streams.StreamServer.cls?STREAMOID=rxxdR N3OilkKYbuNNXHRcM$daE2N3K4ZzOUsqbU5sYv3Ms51MxRS2ga 95nB68ardWCsjLu883Ygn4B49Lvm9bPe2QeMKQdVeZmXF$9l$4 uCZ8QDXhaHEp3rvzXRJFdy0KqPHLoMevcTLo3h8xh70Y6N_U_C ryOsw6FTOdKL_jpQ-&CONTENTTYPE=image/jpeg

Chargers receiver Danario Alexander catches a touchdown pass as the Steelers' Josh Victorian defends during the fourth quarter Sunday, Dec. 9, 2012, at Heinz Field

Steelers cornerbacks coverage statistics (completions/times targeted):

Ike Taylor 30/68 445 yards 5 TDs

Keenan Lewis 46/91 511 yards 2 TDs

Cortez Allen 32/56 327 yards 1 TD

Curtis Brown 9/12 116 yards 1 TD

Josh Victorian 1/2 15 yards 1 TD

Source: Pro Football Focus

Josh Victorian went from being on the street to covering the streak in a few days‘ time.

It doesn‘t sound easy, and it wasn‘t.

The Steelers cornerback was on the practice squad, then was released. A week later he was brought back and added to the 53-man roster. Then on the second NFL pass he defended, Chargers receiver Danario Alexander went high above him Sunday for a touchdown.

Just like that, Victorian — who was with four teams before getting into a game — went from being a mostly anonymous, undrafted free agent from Louisiana Tech to being the subject of intense scrutiny.

“A roller coaster, huh?” he said Thursday while contemplating his possible matchups Sunday against the receiver-deep Dallas Cowboys. “One week you can be Joe Blow, and then tomorrow everyone knows you. One day you can be at home, and they give you a call and you have to play on Sunday.”

Rarely have the Steelers (7-6) gone into such an important late-season game as thin at such a vital position as they will Sunday.

Ike Taylor, their top cover corner, is expected to miss another couple of games with a fractured ankle. Cortez Allen (groin), normally the nickel back and Taylor‘s replacement against the Chargers, hasn‘t practiced this week.

If Allen can‘t play, Curtis Brown will start. In the nickel package, Victorian goes outside and Brown slides into the nickel back role.

“It‘s not a surprise that these guys will be taking a significant amount if snaps,” defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau said, noting the injuries all teams endure. “Hopefully they‘ll be prepared and answer the challenge.”

Chargers quarterback Philip Rivers took advantage of the inexperience on the NFL‘s top-ranked pass defense. Rivers was 6 of 6 for 84 yards while throwing against Brown, 6 of 7 for 46 yards against Allen and 1 of 2 for 15 yards and a touchdown against Victorian. He beat Lewis only three times in nine attempts for 10 yards.

“Last week it was a tough task for us, but this week, with game experience, you‘re going to get better,” Lewis said. “Those guys are very talented, and they‘re ready for the challenge. You‘ve got to have a short-term memory in this league. Every game isn‘t going to be perfect.”

Here‘s that challenge: Cowboys quarterback Tony Romo has 11 touchdown passes and just three interceptions in the past six games and averages a league-best 347.3 yards passing at home.

The Cowboys also have two productive receiving targets in Dez Bryant (75 catches for 1,028 yards), who is expected to play despite a broken index finger, and 6-foot-6 tight end Jason Witten, who has 92 receptions.

“I‘ve heard how talented he was, but I never watched him play — this is the first time I‘ve seen him play,” Polamalu said of Bryant. “His reputation is definitely worthy of his talent.”

Complicating matters, the Steelers‘ starting safeties aren‘t 100 percent. Polamalu isn‘t practicing as he heals from a calf injury, and Ryan Clark has a sore hip.

Asked how he expects the young corners to play, Polamalu said, “We‘ll find out afterward what my thoughts are. But it‘s just as critical that any position on our team plays well. It‘s no more important for the corners than it is for the outside ‘backers or the offensive line. The way we win games around here is that it‘s never really put on one position.”

The Steelers just hope one thin position doesn‘t lose it.

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/3118460-85/yards-steelers-victorian#ixzz2F4CDK3q7

67 calsteel
12-14-2012, 07:37 PM
With all the injuries in the secondary why are we not give Robert Golden.I though tooked good in preseason.He also has Experience playing cornerback.
What about Will Alllen a cornerback.It took a while but played well at ss with troy out.In the past he has said the he has reps at cb for the steelers

Hawaii 5-0
12-16-2012, 12:44 AM
Steelers secondary concerns turn into prime issue

December 15, 2012
By Ray Fittipaldo / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

http://d4493f2df0d1b95cfc62-773cd17a86049dd672fafb96394debed.r5.cf2.rackcdn.co m/2012/349/024/alexander_420.jpg

The Chargers' Danario Alexander pulls down a touchdown against the Josh Victorian in the fourth quarter Sunday at Heinz Field.

Under normal circumstances, Steelers safety Ryan Clark said he would have taken a couple of days off this week to rest his sore midsection.

But the Steelers secondary has been ravaged by injuries recently, and Clark said Thursday he felt like he had to practice because the young cornerbacks who will play Sunday against Dallas needed guidance as they prepared to face the Cowboys.

Josh Victorian and Robert Golden are not household names, even among the most die-hard of Steelers fans, but they will be on center stage against quarterback Tony Romo and wider receiver Dez Bryant because two of the team's top three cornerbacks are injured.

The Steelers will be without starting cornerback Ike Taylor for a second consecutive week because of a leg injury. Cortez Allen, his replacement, likely will miss the game because of a groin injury. Allen did not practice all week and is listed as doubtful.

The injuries mean either Victorian or second-year player Curtis Brown will make his first NFL start with Golden or DeMarcus VanDyke playing in the nickel package.

"I don't know if it changes my role, but it magnifies it a little bit," Clark said. "I just need to be deep and be very vocal as far as communicating to those guys and helping them understand what the offense may be trying to do to attack us and what we need to do as a defense in each and every call. For me, it's a situation where I need to be protective of those guys and help them out as much as possible."

Brown, a second-year player from Texas, moved into the role of third cornerback Sunday against the Chargers, but he was ineffective and Victorian replaced him in the second half.

Victorian, signed to the active roster a few days before the Chargers game, appears to be the player defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau has identified as his top choice to replace Allen in the starting lineup.

"He made a play, and I thought he knew his assignments well," LeBeau said of Victorian's performance against the Chargers. "We've had him since training camp, and he's always impressed us as a playmaker. I think he'll make a good account of himself in there."

Victorian was signed to the practice squad in August after spending last season on the practice squads of the Baltimore Ravens and New England Patriots. He was with the New Orleans Saints briefly in the spring before being invited to training camp with the Steelers.

"Sunday is a great opportunity not only for me but for our entire young secondary group to show that we can play," said Victorian, who played at Louisiana Tech. "I think it will be great for us."

Golden has been on the active roster longer than Victorian, but he hasn't played a snap on defense all season. Golden, a rookie from the University of Arizona, made the team because of his ability to play cornerback and safety. That versatility is something the coaches would like to utilize against Dallas.

"I just have to be ready for wherever they want to put me in," Golden said. "I can play nickel, I play corner and I also play safety. When they call my number, I just need to be ready to go out there and perform. I feel like I had a great week of preparation. I just want to go out there and play well for the team."

The Cowboys have won three of their past four games to get back into the NFC playoff picture. They made their surge behind a passing attack that is third in the NFL in passing yards per game (292). Romo has thrown seven touchdown passes in the past three games.Even though his young players don't have a lot of game experience, LeBeau is hopeful they can step in and help the team.

"We try to develop the depth at every position," LeBeau said. "We try to teach these young players like they're going to be starting because we know someday they will be starting. Unfortunately, we have a couple of hits at the same spot this week. Generally speaking, throughout the course of the season this happens, so it's not a surprise that some of these guys will be starting and taking a significant amount of snaps. Hopefully, they'll be prepared and answer the challenge."We have some quality depth there. It's a challenge for us. One thing is for sure, they're not going to cancel the game. We think we have a plan. We have some people, and they'll have to step in there and pick it up. The game is still tackling, keying and knocking down passes. We're going to show up. We know we have a challenge, but I feel these young guys will make a good account of themselves."

NOTES -- Outside linebacker James Harrison returned to practice after missing two days with an illness and is listed as probable. ... Three other players missed practice Friday with illnesses -- wide receiver Antonio Brown, inside linebacker Stevenson Sylvester and long snapper Greg Warren. All three were listed as probable. ... The three players who are out for the game are offensive tackle Mike Adams, offensive guard Willie Colon and cornerback Ike Taylor.

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/steelers-secondary-concerns-turn-into-prime-issue-666411/#ixzz2FBeJ3F3s