ZoneBlitzer
12-11-2012, 05:34 PM
What??? Source? What for?

SteelCurtain5643
12-11-2012, 05:34 PM
Rotoworld and the Steelers facebook just put it up as well

Darkstorm05
12-11-2012, 05:35 PM
Yea, it's on the official site, but no real reason is given. Not that it matters, as he would just be a scratch anyway. They brought Batch back up to the active roster.

OX1947
12-11-2012, 05:41 PM
Maybe he still thinks Bid laden is alive and 'Merica is hiding something.

desertsteel
12-11-2012, 05:43 PM
surely one of our less notable losses... we move on...

I see a back getting drafted around R3-4 though.

SteelCurtain5643
12-11-2012, 05:45 PM
Kinda sucks because I bought a Mendenhall jersey 2 xmas's ago, oh well

ZoneBlitzer
12-11-2012, 05:46 PM
For poor conduct apparently. Maybe he questioned out loud why Tomlin didn't go for two.

steeltheone
12-11-2012, 05:46 PM
surely one of our less notable losses... we move on...

I see a back getting drafted around R3-4 though.

Well, a healthy Mendenhall is much better than we have now....He was not a first round pick though, thats for sure!

Fire Arians
12-11-2012, 05:48 PM
For poor conduct apparently. Maybe he questioned out loud why Tomlin didn't go for two.

knew there was a reason why he was demoted, something behind the scenes we didn't know about

SteelCurtain5643
12-11-2012, 05:48 PM
Well, a healthy Mendenhall is much better than we have now....He was not a first round pick though, thats for sure!

Are you high? Dwyer is clearly a better back

Fire Arians
12-11-2012, 05:49 PM

talent wise, not by a long shot. shame that mendy could never live up to his potential though

SteelCurtain5643
12-11-2012, 05:51 PM
talent wise, not by a long shot. shame that mendy could never live up to his potential though

I know, I liked it when we drafted him, thought he'd be a great replacement for Bettis, but just like Holmes, I soured on him after a while

Fire Arians
12-11-2012, 05:52 PM
we shoulda drafted former_RB instead. WE NEED A THUGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG

SteelersCanada
12-11-2012, 05:52 PM
Ed Bouchette ‏@EdBouchette

#Steelers suspended Mendenhall bec after they told him he wd not dress vs. Chargers, he did not show up at Heinz Field, source says.

Would explain it.

steeltheone
12-11-2012, 05:53 PM

#Steelers suspended Mendenhall bec after they told him he wd not dress vs. Chargers, he did not show up at Heinz Field, source says.

Would explain it.

MIA...To the Brig he goes!

steeltheone
12-11-2012, 05:56 PM

Dwyer has not amounted to anything yet...Mendy has over 3000 yards rushing....I'm not a big Mendy fan, but c'mon.

Dwyer is a big back who gets arm tackled and can't be trusted on short yardage. I really believe he is better off the bench.

FanSince72
12-11-2012, 05:57 PM
http://i1297.photobucket.com/albums/ag37/JPsuff/keelhaul_zps1d8ed966.jpg

Frankly, if someone told me not to dress for a game I don't think I'd show up either.

I mean, what is he supposed to do, stand there all "Rah, rah" after he was told not to bother to put his uniform on?

SteelCurtain5643
12-11-2012, 05:58 PM
Dwyer has not amounted to anything yet...Mendy has over 3000 yards rushing....I'm not a big Mendy fan, but c'mon.

Dwyer is a big back who gets arm tackled and can't be trusted on short yardage. I really believe he is better off the bench.

idk I think Dwyer is starting to show he's more than capable of being the lead back, esp because he's getting more playing time now. And Dwyer also did something Mendy never did, have back to back 100 yd games. I think with more time Dwyer will develop into a good lead back.

SteelersCanada
12-11-2012, 06:01 PM

Dwyer has 122 carries for 510 yards, which on face value seems very, very respectable. I mean, 4.2 YPC is beating out guys like Arian Foster, so obviously he's having a very good year.

Digging a little deeper, if you take away the two 100 yard games because at this point, they seem like complete anomalies, his numbers drastically change.

Subtracting those games in which he flashed brilliance and hasn't done anything since, his numbers are ...

88 carries for 281 yards for 3.1 YPC.

3.1 YPC isn't going to cut it in the NFL. Again, this is just taking away those two games in which he played very well but hadn't done anything before or after those games even worth mentioning. He's a mediocre, one dimensional back that at this point needs to be given his walking papers after the season. We need a legitimate running back for this offense to flourish once again but sadly, we don't have one of those on the roster right now.

SteelCity4Life
12-11-2012, 06:02 PM
I agree with Steel Curtain, but I feel like the LINE itself is the problem. We've seen explosive plays from all the guys, haven't we? Three 100 yd rushing games in a row was nothing short of a miracle for this offense.

The difference is that Dwyer doesn't dance in the backfield, and racks up SERIOUS yardage after contact. Anybody missing that is blind. Even the announcers bring it up every time he plays. Mendy is just good in space; Something this line almost never creates.

FanSince72
12-11-2012, 06:05 PM
I agree with Steel Curtain, but I feel like the LINE itself is the problem. We've seen explosive plays from all the guys, haven't we? Three 100 yd rushing games in a row was nothing short of a miracle for this offense.

The difference is that Dwyer doesn't dance in the backfield, and racks up SERIOUS yardage after contact. Anybody missing that is blind. Even the announcers bring it up every time he plays. Mendy is just good in space; Something this line almost never creates.

Which is why I've always said that Mendy should be catching passes out of the backfield where he'd already be "in space" and has already proven himself to be effective. That whole concept is a staple of the West Coast offense and something I really thought Haley would feature.

SteelCity4Life
12-11-2012, 06:10 PM
Which is why I've always said that Mendy should be catching passes out of the backfield where he'd already be "in space" and has already proven himself to be effective. That whole concept is a staple of the West Coast offense and something I really thought Haley would feature.

Maybe that has something to do with the fact that Heath Miller is being targeted so much more??

Who, BTW, is having a GODLY season thanks to Haley.

IDK, those short screen to the WR don't work too well. Dwyer HAS gotten thrown to on the other hand. But as if it matters. I can't see Mendy getting many more chances, esp. if we don't win in Dallas this weekend.

teegre
12-11-2012, 06:14 PM
I mean, what is he supposed to do, stand there all "Rah, rah" after he was told not to bother to put his uniform on?

Uh... YES.

SteelCityScotty
12-11-2012, 06:15 PM
http://i1297.photobucket.com/albums/ag37/JPsuff/keelhaul_zps1d8ed966.jpg

Frankly, if someone told me not to dress for a game I don't think I'd show up either.

I'm no longer a fan of Mendenhall, and he's my least favorite RB on the team. But...I have to agree with this logic.

It's very tough to suck it up and be a "team player" when your coach tells you the team is better without you in uniform, especially after all you've done to help win games over the course of the past few years.

I personally don't have the personality to make such a bold statement as to not show up to the stadium. But, Steelers' management has basically made it clear that Mendenhall is no longer a member of this team. They're sending a message by inactivating him each week, when most teams have 3-4 RBs suited up for a game.

I don't blame him for finding something better to do on Sunday.

teegre
12-11-2012, 06:18 PM
I don't blame him for finding something better to do on Sunday.

And, in turn, he shall not be paid. :applaudit:

Mendy did the Steelers a solid with that one.

He could have sat & earned $253,000 per game (or whatever he makes)... but, he decided that he'd rather not dress AND not get paid. Socrotes Mendenspin strieks again.

FanSince72
12-11-2012, 06:18 PM
Maybe that has something to do with the fact that Heath Miller is being targeted so much more??

Who, BTW, is having a GODLY season thanks to Haley.

IDK, those short screen to the WR don't work too well. Dwyer HAS gotten thrown to on the other hand. But as if it matters. I can't see Mendy getting many more chances, esp. if we don't win in Dallas this weekend.

Heath Miller would have a great season playing for the Jets - that's just who he is.

But seriously, we have RB's who each have talent in certain areas and we need to use those talents. But instead we seem to be trying to use ALL of our backs as power backs trying to see who works out best that way and we're missing the opportunity to exploit the talent they have doing different things.

Mendy will NEVER be a power back, so stop trying to use him as one.
Dwyer CAN be a power back as can Redman and they just need time to develop.

But there has to be a way to use ALL of our backs in different ways - ways that best utilize their individual talents rather than using all of them the same way.

Ricco Suavez
12-11-2012, 06:24 PM
Wow 2008 draft is likely one of the worst in Steeler history. Mendenhall and Mundy are all thats left if I am correct

SteelCity4Life
12-11-2012, 06:24 PM
Heath Miller would have a great season playing for the Jets - that's just who he is.

But seriously, we have RB's who each have talent in certain areas and we need to use those talents. But instead we seem to be trying to use ALL of our backs as power backs trying to see who works out best that way and we're missing the opportunity to exploit the talent they have doing different things.

But there has to be a way to use ALL of our backs in different ways - ways that best utilize their individual talents rather than using all of them the same way.

Pretty much agreed, but how often did Miller get the ball under airhead Arians? People made a good point. He seemed to be non existent.

teegre
12-11-2012, 06:26 PM
Wow 2008 draft is likely one of the worst in Steeler history. Mendenhall and Mundy are all thats left if I am correct

Bling, bling, bling!!!

The 2008 redraft alarm has sounded!!!

R1 - Spinny Mendenspin ::: DeSean Jackson

R2 - Limas Sweed ::: Ray Rice

R3 - Bruce Davis ::: Cliff Avril, Jermichael Finley, Mario Manningham, Philip Wheeler

R4: - Tony Hills ::: Carl Nicks

Darkstorm05
12-11-2012, 06:26 PM

How about you post some sources on this yardage? Last I checked, Dwyer was the "#1 Guy" our last 3 games and only came up with 100 yards total for all 3 combined. Half his rushes were for zero or negative gains.

TheDude
12-11-2012, 06:29 PM

You know who got in the way from plays like that being featured? Why Mendy of course.

This guy still carries the ball like a Pop Warner player. Cant be trusted with the ball. Period

As far as not coming to the game...the ultimate sign of disrespect for your own teammates

I hope Silverback shoots him......then blames the gun :sofunny:

SteelCurtain5643
12-11-2012, 06:30 PM
How about you post some sources on this yardage? Last I checked, Dwyer was the "#1 Guy" our last 3 games and only came up with 100 yards total for all 3 combined. Half his rushes were for zero or negative gains.

If our O-line didnt suck it'd be a different story

FanSince72
12-11-2012, 06:30 PM
Uh... YES.

Uh...NO!

Sorry, but I think there's a lot more to this than meets the eye and I think that Mendy has been calling out some of the decision makers for what he sees as bad decisions and they're getting even with him for doing that.

I'd rather have a guy on the sidelines who WANTS to be there than someone who feels he's being FORCED to be there. I think Mendy has probably been criticizing the way things are being done (because he seems to be that type of person) and that isn't going over too well. And I'd also bet that he's probably right in many ways and they like that even less.

As a coach, I think I'd rather have a player say what's on his mind than to have a player kissing my ass. We might not exchange Christmas cards, but at least I know I'd be dealing with someone who's not afraid to speak out and that - to me - is worth more than fealty.

teegre
12-11-2012, 06:34 PM
Uh...NO!

Sorry, but I think there's a lot more to this than meets the eye and I think that Mendy has been calling out some of the decision makers for what he sees as bad decisions and they're getting even with him for doing that.

I'd rather have a guy on the sidelines who WANTS to be there than someone who feels he's being FORCED to be there. I think Mendy has probably been criticizing the way things are being done (because he seems to be that type of person) and that isn't going over too well. And I'd also bet that he's probably right in many ways and they like that even less.

As a coach, I think I'd rather have a player say what's on his mind than to have a player kissing my ass. We might not exchange Christmas cards, but at least I know I'd be dealing with someone who's not afraid to speak out and that - to me - is worth more than fealty.

1. Putting one's own interests before the team's... not good.

2. Quitting... not good.

3. Spinny giving back his game-day check, that would have been paid to him for merely sitting out (which 7-8 players HAVE to do each & every game, due to the practice numbers ebing more than game-day numbers); because, now, he is sitting out AND not having to be paid... a altruistic move on his part.

SteelCity4Life
12-11-2012, 06:37 PM

I didn't mention actual stats, now did I???

I'm talking about the stretch in which we had 3 100 yard rushing games :doh:, but I believe that was before Ben went down. Redman had 1 game and Dwyer had the other 2.

Yes, I caught those losses. But when was the last time Mendy actually saw the freaking field?? The Browns game? Mr fumbles twice for the team.

Question is, if Mendy had been playing, what would the results be???

teegre
12-11-2012, 06:40 PM
I remember Jim rome going on a rant... something like this:

When life gives you lemons... QUIT.

When the going gets tough... QUIT.

When the chips are down... QUIT.

When facing a fourth & 15, with a full-court press... QUIT.

When benched... QUIT.

rich4eagle
12-11-2012, 06:45 PM
he was never a game breaker player since he came here, easily replaced. Of course unless Haley figures out how to run the ball doesn't matter whom the backs are

Darkstorm05
12-11-2012, 06:47 PM
I didn't mention actual stats, now did I???

I'm talking about the stretch in which we had 3 100 yard rushing games :doh:, but I believe that was before Ben went down. Redman had 1 game and Dwyer had the other 2.

Yes, I caught those losses. But when was the last time Mendy actually saw the freaking field?? The Browns game? Mr fumbles twice for the team.

Question is, if Mendy had been playing, what would the results be???

No, I was fully aware it was made up. We had a streak of 4 100+ yard rushing games, not 3. The first one was on Mendenhalls back, though, so I see why you left it out, though. I can't say what the games would have been like if Mendy had been the starter all year. But if it's anything like the past 3 seasons, he would have had over 1000 yards rushing and 10 or so TDs.

Dwyer is a backup trying to be a starter, and not doing enough to get it done. If he gets so many yards after carry, why do his fan boys need to keep blaming the line? Surely he would hit that D at the line of scrimmage then go on for a gain every run? Or at least hit 50 yards a game from time to time? Seriously, Haley called the guy out for not having the guts and conditioning to be the starter. His ass was benched earlier this year for...wait for it...fumbling, and just sucking in general. Then he had 2 good games against two teams that are shit, and has done NOTHING since. He's only #1 because there's no other choice. We'll draft someone in the offseason, and that'll be it for Dwyer.

jiminpa
12-11-2012, 06:50 PM
Mendenhall played his heart out with an OC trying to get him injured, and succeeding, yet how many years was Mewelde Moore on the team and getting legacy carries, (and costing games), for old-times' sake from Tomlin's past teams? The difference, Mendenhall had potential to contribute to the Steelers. Mendy wasn't the only one to fumble twice in that game, and Ben has had games, this year, where he was in a contest with himself to see which way he could turn the ball over the most, but Tomlin likes him so it's okay. This isn't about football, it's personal, it's Tomlin and it has already hurt the team.

TRH
12-11-2012, 06:50 PM
wow....i wasn't even aware that he didn't show Sunday.

This relationship went sour very quickly between Mendenhall, this team, and the fans. Even more-so than Wallace.

tanda10506
12-11-2012, 06:53 PM

I disagree with that one. Mendy has the most talent, but he sure doesn't use it. I re-watched the entire 2010 season this off season and Mendy was a big part of the offense and basically was our entire offense in the AFC Championship game. Since then he's became a dancer. Last year I blamed it on the O line because it was terrible, this year he was running behind a good O line and was still dancing around. Dwyer is a good fit for us. Lately the O line hasn't blocked worth a s*** and Dwyer has struggled a bit due to it, but when the O line even gets a bit of an opening Dwyer puts his head down and hits it hard. We don't need the "take it to the house" type back that Mendy has potential to be. We have Big Ben, Wallace (if he can hang on to anything), Brown, Miller, and Rainey for that, we just need a powerful back that always picks up positive yardage and runs like the bus. That's exactly what Dwyer does, he gets positive yardage on nearly every carry, often times 4 yards +, and he runs people over which should pump up the team (and does pump up the home crowd). Rainey is a great contrast to Dwyer also, and if he gets a few blocks he will take it to the house. I just don't see Mendy being that best we got, neither do the coach's.

ZoneBlitzer
12-11-2012, 07:06 PM
Sounds like he wasn't drinking the kool-aid. Mendy is a smart, articulate kid who can ball. If he's not buying into the leadership, then what does that say? There's just something wrong with this team. How else can you explain the lazy, sloppy, ignorant and undisciplined play? It almost makes you think that they are tuning Tomlin out.

Jahodac
12-11-2012, 07:09 PM
Well, I don't blame Mendenhall because Tomlin obviously doesn't want him. I'm assuming he won't be back and if that's the case, I really hope he finds a team that does want him. Dwyer is getting so overrated that it's starting to get ridiculous. He is no Jerome Bettis and never will be and without the o-line playing at the top of their game, he is absolutely useless. I guess next year we will see a Dwyer/Rainey duo assuming Rainey is rewarded for his play this year. I would really like to see us grab a running back in the draft.

Riddle_Of_Steel
12-11-2012, 07:10 PM
Dwyer gets WAYYYYYYY too much love around here.

The guy had a couple of 100-yard games against sub-par competition. Besides that, he gets winded after 2 carries and has yet to show that he is any better than Mendenhall at all. He's more of a north-south runner, which suits out Oline better (maybe), but he really has not produced anything for us that Mendy has not as well.

Mendy is proven and has multiple 1000-yard seasons ins a pass-first offense with no Oline. Dwyer has.....wait for it......a pair of 100 yard games.

There was more going on than just Mendy's fumbles. He was one of 4 RBs that put the rock on the ground that day.

Darkstorm05
12-11-2012, 07:14 PM
We don't need the "take it to the house" type back that Mendy has potential to be. We have Big Ben, Wallace (if he can hang on to anything), Brown, Miller, and Rainey for that,

Disagree on that. If you aren't a threat with the run and pass, you won't do as well. Speed is the name of the new NFL. Look at the teams with the most rushing TD's this year...NE, Giants, San Fran, and Houston...they're also the teams everyone is using as the measuring stick for the playoffs this year. Their backs are consistently have longest carries of 15, 20, even 40 yards in a game. They're quick, and will hit the middle or bounce it out. If all you can do is gain 3 yards up the gut, the box gets stacked and the D forgets about your run game. We're living the reality of this right now.

Riddle_Of_Steel
12-11-2012, 07:17 PM
Tomlin does not like dissenting opinions-- that much is obvious.

Back in 2009, when Willie Parker had the balls to speak up and say we weren't running the ball enough (which we most certainly were not-- he was correct), he went into Tomlin's doghouse and slowly faded away after Tomlin ran him til the wheels fell off the year before.

Now, Mendy probably spoke up and is being shown the door, when he is clearly, still the most talented back on our roster. if we were serious about revitalizing the ground game-- you don't bench your starting RB in favor of some no-name scrubs that had one or two good games before pulling a disappearing act against some of the worst run defenses in the league.

Mendy was coming back in 12 months from an injury that takes 18 months to heal from. Instead of burning another draft pick on a RB, when our team has so many other needs, I think we would be better off this offseason rehabbing Mendy and geting him back to 100%. We have no RBs right now that can break one around the edges at all (maybe Rainey with some more playing time), while Mendy has shown us that ability time and again under numbnuts' offense.

Riddle_Of_Steel
12-11-2012, 07:20 PM
Well, I don't blame Mendenhall because Tomlin obviously doesn't want him. I'm assuming he won't be back and if that's the case, I really hope he finds a team that does want him. Dwyer is getting so overrated that it's starting to get ridiculous. He is no Jerome Bettis and never will be and without the o-line playing at the top of their game, he is absolutely useless. I guess next year we will see a Dwyer/Rainey duo assuming Rainey is rewarded for his play this year. I would really like to see us grab a running back in the draft.

I am kinda torn on this one.

On the one hand-- I have a pretty fierce sense of duty-- and I don't like it when highly paid professionals shirk their duties.

But, on the other hand, no matter how much they pay-- if my employer does not even value me enough to want me to show up to work on Monday-- I would tell them to go eff tehmselves too.

I think we just have to reserve judgement unless we find out more.

jiminpa
12-11-2012, 07:20 PM
Dwyer gets WAYYYYYYY too much love around here.

The guy had a couple of 100-yard games against sub-par competition. Besides that, he gets winded after 2 carries and has yet to show that he is any better than Mendenhall at all. He's more of a north-south runner, which suits out Oline better (maybe), but he really has not produced anything for us that Mendy has not as well.

Mendy is proven and has multiple 1000-yard seasons ins a pass-first offense with no Oline. Dwyer has.....wait for it......a pair of 100 yard games.

There was more going on than just Mendy's fumbles. He was one of 4 RBs that put the rock on the ground that day.Thank you! I'll say it again, because it got buried at the page change. Tomlin kept Moore around and gave him game losing carries for what he contributed to Tomlin's previous teams, but Mendenhaul has an equally bad game as the whole rest of the offense and gets singled out. Tomlin is blatantly putting personality over team on this one, and it has already cost games and altered the offense's mindset for the worse.

plenewken
12-11-2012, 07:22 PM
Bling, bling, bling!!!

The 2008 redraft alarm has sounded!!!

R1 - Spinny Mendenspin ::: DeSean Jackson

R2 - Limas Sweed ::: Ray Rice

Sad but true.

jiminpa
12-11-2012, 07:24 PM
After this I hope for a showdown between Coach Clique and the Rooneys, in the offseason and I hope it gets ugly.

Riddle_Of_Steel
12-11-2012, 07:34 PM
After this I hope for a showdown between Coach Clique and the Rooneys, in the offseason and I hope it gets ugly.

I do, but only with the hopes that some positive changes are made. I am a big Tomlin fan, but I also won't overlook his mistakes.

StainlessStill
12-11-2012, 07:38 PM
Good God.

jiminpa
12-11-2012, 07:40 PM
I meant Coach Cliche, but you know, I think Coach Clique is far more appropriate.

lardlad
12-11-2012, 07:41 PM
:coffee:Heath Miller would have a great season playing for the Jets - that's just who he is.

Maybe they think Rainy will fill mendys position?

I can't say I am a fan of mendehalls play, but I feel there is a lot of talent going to waste. I was really hoping he'd come back and tear it up.

maddog78
12-11-2012, 07:43 PM
This team better win Sunday or it's about to unravel. Wallace talks of losing focus, Keisel and others say they weren't ready to play last week, and now this.

All we need is Bobby Shaw and his Superman shirt.

maddog78
12-11-2012, 07:44 PM
Maybe they think Rainy will fill mendys position?

I've been wondering what they think of Rainey all year and I still don't know. This guy needs touches in space. Haley has failed in that regard.

Atlanta Dan
12-11-2012, 07:52 PM

Would explain it.

Prior to the announcement of the suspension Ed.B. had indicated earlier today Mendenhall was having issues

Ed, has the coaching staff completely forgotten Mendenhall's career stats and performance against Philly earlier this year? He's by far their most talented back with big-play ability. Can't say that about the other guys...

Ed Bouchette: He hasn't shown it much, and they don't believe his head is in the right place....

What is the deal with Mendenhall's "head being in the right place?" Is it just an effort/interest thing or is there more at play, like an anxiety disorder, for example?

Ed Bouchette: I can't tell you exactly, just what I was told.

Meanwhile the agent spins away:chuckle:

Mike McCartney, Mendenhall's agent, said the player will serve his suspension and then return to them next Monday in good spirits.

The suspension will cost Mendenhall $41,176, which is one week's (1/17th) worth of his $700,000 salary.

"What's happened, happened," McCartney told the Post-Gazette. "When I spoke to Rashard, I know he is very excited next Monday to rejoin his teammates. He's going to come back with great energy to do everything he can to help the Pittsburgh Steelers win football games."

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/steelers-suspend-rb-mendenhall-for-one-game-665918/

tony hipchest
12-11-2012, 07:52 PM
I've been wondering what they think of Rainey all year and I still don't know. This guy needs touches in space. Haley has failed in that regard.

he is a fumble or broken bone waiting to happen.

thats not saying much in regards to our other backs (or team) but atleast the other players arent a few biscuits shy of 170 lbs and able to protect themselves somewhat.

Atlanta Dan
12-11-2012, 07:53 PM
All we need is Bobby Shaw and his Superman shirt.

LOL - I thought Cowher might lose his job after that game against Tennessee

maddog78
12-11-2012, 07:54 PM

thats not saying much in regards to our other backs (or team) but atleast the other players arent a few biscuits shy of 170 lbs and able to protect themselves somewhat.

He's not missed a game, has he? He's returning kicks and not getting blown up, too. Perfect example - that wheel route they tried in Baltimore.

To Dwyer, of all people. Even if uncovered, I doubt that Bettis Lite would have come down with it.

Free Chris Rainey.

jiminpa
12-11-2012, 07:57 PM

thats not saying much in regards to our other backs (or team) but atleast the other players arent a few biscuits shy of 170 lbs and able to protect themselves somewhat.I think so too.

Riddle_Of_Steel
12-11-2012, 07:59 PM
He's not missed a game, has he? He's returning kicks and not getting blown up, too. Perfect example - that wheel route they tried in Baltimore.

Free Chris Rainey.

Gotta agree with Tony on this one. Everytime I see Rainye get hit, I flinch, thinking it will be a career ender. Some RBs know how to shield their bodies when gettig tackled-- Rainey just looks to land in a heap when he gets tackled.

I think the jury is still out on Rainey. He has had a few chances, but not really produced much.

Darkstorm05
12-11-2012, 08:01 PM

To Dwyer, of all people. Even if uncovered, I doubt that Bettis Lite would have come down with it.

Free Chris Rainey.

You are aware he's been scraped off the field in two games with injuries this year, right? The guys only got 20 carries and he's already been squashed like a bug twice. Cracked ribs the first time, and that hit when he fumbled it looked like he might be dead.

jiminpa
12-11-2012, 08:04 PM
You are aware he's been scraped off the field in two games with injuries this year, right? The guys only got 20 carries and he's already been squashed like a bug twice. Cracked ribs the first time, and that hit when he fumbled it looked like he might be dead.Exactly, I'm a Steelers fan, but it's not worth getting a guy with that much heart literally broken in half over.

Let him return kicks where he can run for the sidelines and see what's coming at him.

Terminator
12-11-2012, 08:15 PM
I think the bigger question is why does it seem more and more like Tomlin doesn't have complete control of this team?

Respect?

steelfury02
12-11-2012, 08:23 PM
I think the bigger question is why does it seem more and more like Tomlin doesn't have complete control of this team?

Respect?

trust me - and I'm not sure how far back you can remember - there were plenty of Cowher squads where the defense got absolutely sick and tired of carrying the offense, and made it be known, loud and clear to Cowher, and in front of the world to the media. I remember plenty of shit fits over Neil O' Donnel and Kordell Stewart and wondering what exactly the offense was going to do to carry their weight.

This team has a bunch of talkers but no walkers IMO that haven't really achieved jack shit. The ones that have, seem satisfied with just being a Steeler. 4 really, really bad losses to swallow. Each of the losses to the "lesser team" was worse than the last one. Again, the Keisel quotes are really, really alarming. I believe that not having a running game, Mendy on his way out, as well as Wallace halfway out the door, is messing with the chemistry. It almost seems like some of them have accepted that its just too much change that's happend, and going to take place to even bother trying to come together.

jiminpa
12-11-2012, 08:31 PM

Respect?At this point what's to respect? Four running backs and a receiver fumbled, each less times than BB in an earlier game. The best of the four gets to watch the other three prove why none of them beat him out no matter how hobbled he was and know that there was still no way he would ever see the field as a Steeler again. Tomlin wanted to send a message and he succeeded, but it wasn't the message he intended. Maybe it's time to "unleash Hell," again. Or maybe it's time for the Rooney's to explain to Tomlin what happens to an employee who repeatedly refuses to do what the employer says. Starting a personality conflict with your only qualified running back is not the way to get better at running the football. Mendy looks like a fumble waiting to happen, but his numbers don't reflect it, and considering how many times in his career he was supposed to carry the ball into an unblocked hole, it should be the other way.

austinfrench76
12-11-2012, 08:45 PM
Mendenhall is a dummy. In more ways than one. He thinks his tweets show he is a "deep thinker" when in reality they show ignorance. He acts and speaks like he is better than everyone else and the reality is he is a RB in teh NFL. That's all. He seems to forget that and think that people give a shit about hwat he thinks or feels. I'm sorry but when you make that much money you are paid to do WHATEVER THE HELL the team tells you to as mong as it's not illegal. Even then, for that kind of mney, I probably would! No disrespect to him as a human being but this is just another instance that he shows ignorance not intelligence.

steelfury02
12-11-2012, 08:51 PM
Mendenhall is a dummy. In more ways than one. He thinks his tweets show he is a "deep thinker" when in reality they show ignorance. He acts and speaks like he is better than everyone else and the reality is he is a RB in teh NFL. That's all. He seems to forget that and think that people give a shit about hwat he thinks or feels. I'm sorry but when you make that much money you are paid to do WHATEVER THE HELL the team tells you to as mong as it's not illegal. Even then, for that kind of mney, I probably would! No disrespect to him as a human being but this is just another instance that he shows ignorance not intelligence.

it'll be our luck, Coach Father Flanagan (Arians) will have him picked up, him and Mendy will have makeup sex, Mendy will have a 1000 yard season, and then the Arians supporters will simply point to our O-line as being the problem, completely forgetting about the number of times we can all count on one hand where Mendy was given the ball in open space. Then, we'll hear from Bruce: "See, I wasn't allowed to do this in Pitts because Rooney insisted we run it up the middle. It isn't possibly my fault - gotta be someone else's. See, when I'm in my first season, I have some new toys to play with and I gotta take advantage of them before the same plays get stale and before I have to 'retire.'"

jiminpa
12-11-2012, 09:08 PM
Mendenhall is a dummy. In more ways than one. He thinks his tweets show he is a "deep thinker" when in reality they show ignorance. He acts and speaks like he is better than everyone else and the reality is he is a RB in teh NFL. That's all. He seems to forget that and think that people give a shit about hwat he thinks or feels. I'm sorry but when you make that much money you are paid to do WHATEVER THE HELL the team tells you to as mong as it's not illegal. Even then, for that kind of mney, I probably would! No disrespect to him as a human being but this is just another instance that he shows ignorance not intelligence.Wallace and Burress are competing with each other in a dumber than dirt contest, and dirt is looking pretty intelligent by comparison, and until it showed on the field it wasn't important to the game. Mendenhall can join them for all I care if it doesn't hurt his play, and it hasn't, but Tomlin is starting to look like he has them all beat by letting personality trump performance like this after being specifically told to improve the running game by the owners of the team. They stopped listening to Arians's excuses, I'm hoping that was a shot across Tomlin's bow.

OX1947
12-11-2012, 09:12 PM
"Talent is only as good as its execution".

-Me

MasterOfPuppets
12-11-2012, 10:17 PM
so you punish a guy for not showing up to work.....by giving him another day off?
wish my employer would adopt that policy...:doh:

Terminator
12-11-2012, 10:34 PM
so you punish a guy for not showing up to work.....by giving him another day off?

I'm gonna start holding out from my job during the summer so they will renegotiate my salary.

Fire Arians
12-11-2012, 10:45 PM
he soff, he ain't no thug, we need a THUG, ya feel me?

the only rollin' he be doin' in my hood is eatin egg rolls at tha chinese restaurant, ya dig?

Fire Arians
12-11-2012, 10:46 PM

correct me if im wrong, but i believe players don't get paid when suspended, he won't be getting a check for the next game

ETL
12-11-2012, 10:47 PM

yep a day off .... that cost him $41,000

StainlessStill
12-11-2012, 10:48 PM
Prior to the announcement of the suspension Ed.B. had indicated earlier today Mendenhall was having issues

Ed, has the coaching staff completely forgotten Mendenhall's career stats and performance against Philly earlier this year? He's by far their most talented back with big-play ability. Can't say that about the other guys...

Ed Bouchette: He hasn't shown it much, and they don't believe his head is in the right place....

What is the deal with Mendenhall's "head being in the right place?" Is it just an effort/interest thing or is there more at play, like an anxiety disorder, for example?

Ed Bouchette: I can't tell you exactly, just what I was told.

Meanwhile the agent spins away:chuckle:

Mike McCartney, Mendenhall's agent, said the player will serve his suspension and then return to them next Monday in good spirits.

The suspension will cost Mendenhall $41,176, which is one week's (1/17th) worth of his $700,000 salary.

"What's happened, happened," McCartney told the Post-Gazette. "When I spoke to Rashard, I know he is very excited next Monday to rejoin his teammates. He's going to come back with great energy to do everything he can to help the Pittsburgh Steelers win football games."

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/steelers-suspend-rb-mendenhall-for-one-game-665918/

This season is turning into the fucking TWILIGHT ZONE!

BA's "retirement."
Ben not happy.
Haley hired.
Ben not calling Haley.
Haley not calling Ben.
New offense.
Rosetta Stone.
Wallace holdout.
Money going to Brown.
Losing to bottom-feeders.
Beating good teams.
Ben hugs Charlie.
Dismal performance against Chargers.
Keisel admitting team lost focus.
Mendenhall suspended.

Quite a year.

FanSince72
12-11-2012, 10:52 PM
This season is turning into the fucking TWILIGHT ZONE!

BA's "retirement."
Ben not happy.
Haley hired.
Ben not calling Haley.
Haley not calling Ben.
New offense.
Rosetta Stone.
Wallace holdout.
Money going to Brown.
Losing to bottom-feeders.
Beating good teams.
Ben hugs Charlie.
Dismal performance against Chargers.
Keisel admitting team lost focus.
Mendenhall suspended.

Quite a year.

You forgot Plaxico V2.0

TheVet
12-11-2012, 11:14 PM
Mendenhall came in with a bad attitude, and he leaves with a bad attitude. In the middle, he gave us a lot of disappointing performances and a lack of effort. Such a shame to see natural talent squandered, potential unfulfilled.

And he's also a public idiot with the 9/11 truther stuff, the Bin Laden support, and the comparison of his very privileged position in the NFL with slavery. Embarrassing.

At least Tomlin is finally manning up. Way overdue.

Lady Steel
12-11-2012, 11:25 PM
http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/23724_10151412941425809_5912533_n.jpg

Mendy does have a bad attitude. And he has a big mouth.

TheVet
12-11-2012, 11:44 PM

Whenever I see someone make this statement, it drives me crazy. Come on man, THINK.

Did you know that when Big Ben came into the league, Kordell Stewart already had roughly 15,000 yards passing ? Meanwhile, Ben only had 2,600 in his rookie year! He hadn't amounted to anything yet!!! I mean, c'mon, how can you go with that guy?

Hopefully that sounds really silly to you - because it's exactly what you're saying right now, and silly is the only word for it.

teegre
12-11-2012, 11:45 PM
correct me if im wrong, but i believe players don't get paid when suspended, he won't be getting a check for the next game

Bing! Bing! Bing!!!

Mendenspin was going to be sitting out anyway... but now, because of his suspension, he will be sitting out AND not getting paid.

TheVet
12-12-2012, 12:24 AM
Bing! Bing! Bing!!!

Mendenspin was going to be sitting out anyway... but now, because of his suspension, he will be sitting out AND not getting paid.

I like "Mendelspin." Other nicknames that come to mind: Mendelpause, Mendelhalt, and Fumblehall. Edit: A few others too, but let I'll try to exercise some restraint.

:banging: Head banging at this botched #1 draft pick.

SteelersCanada
12-12-2012, 12:38 AM
It's unfortunate that he hasn't exactly panned out as our number one back, but it's more unfortunate that we're going to have to use another high pick (2 - 3 in this draft) to get another one. Either that, or trade a couple picks away for a guy like Ben Tate.

A legitimate running back makes this offense the most explosive in the NFL. Sadly, we don't have one right now.

Lady Steel
12-12-2012, 12:47 AM
If Mendy wasn't at Heinz on Sunday, where was he? The Middle East?

Fire Haley
12-12-2012, 12:55 AM
We shoulda kept Mewelde Moore

oops too late, Colts just signed him

Stairway2-7
12-12-2012, 02:30 AM
I like "Mendelspin." Other nicknames that come to mind: Mendelpause, Mendelhalt, and Fumblehall. Edit: A few others too, but let I'll try to exercise some restraint.

:banging: Head banging at this botched #1 draft pick.

I prefer Spinthenfall.

BritishSteel
12-12-2012, 03:52 AM
Given the needs at other positions, the Cap situation and the fact that Mendenhall is out of contract next season, I always thought he might end up in free agency next year anyway. The fact that none of the other RBs have really seperated from the pack and made the position their own might mean the front office gives pause about releasing him, but I still think he was gonna be gone come January anyway. Perhaps he thinks that too, which might explain why he did what he did - knowing the writing was on the wall.

steeltheone
12-12-2012, 06:16 AM

Time to develop? It's year 3 and 4 ... They will be free agents soon.

steeltheone
12-12-2012, 06:26 AM
Mendenhall came in with a bad attitude, and he leaves with a bad attitude. In the middle, he gave us a lot of disappointing performances and a lack of effort. Such a shame to see natural talent squandered, potential unfulfilled.

And he's also a public idiot with the 9/11 truther stuff, the Bin Laden support, and the comparison of his very privileged position in the NFL with slavery. Embarrassing.

At least Tomlin is finally manning up. Way overdue.

Mendy will be a free agent, that makes " manning up" much easier.

GMU Steeler
12-12-2012, 06:40 AM
He's gone after this season I have no doubt. It's too bad he never worked out because I really thought we had a steal with him at the 24th pick. And as I recall he was considered the second best RB going into that draft. Just a waste of talent. Probably Colbert's worst first round pick which tells you a lot about how good Colbert is at finding first rounders though.

ricardisimo
12-12-2012, 08:02 AM
Maybe, like Tomlin said, he'll get a chance to redeem himself. It's not like anyone else on the roster has been setting the world on fire.

Stairway to 7
12-12-2012, 08:29 AM
as if it matters, but i think his days in Pitt are numbered

conduct detrimental to the team apparently

Goodbye loser, Stillers need to get Deangelo Williams.

torpedoshell31
12-12-2012, 08:38 AM
If you look at the last 2 Super Bowl winners, the Giants and Packers, they both had an anemic running game. In fact the Giants last year were dead last in rushing finishing 32nd of 32 teams. Is it really necessary any more to have a franchise back?
Jacksonville led the NFL in rushing last year and were one of the worst teams in football. This year the 2-11 Chiefs lead the AFC in rushing. The Vikings and Redskins are leading in the NFC and both teams wouldn't make the playoffs if the season ended today.
For better or worse, the NFL is all about the passing game now.

steelfury02
12-12-2012, 08:45 AM
yea, but Bradshaw averaged 4.3 yds in the playoffs, 272 yards rushing, and 114 receiving yards. That's 96,5 yards of production per gamefrom your RB during a playoff run - that's pretty damn good period, and pretty damn good considering they had Cruz, Hicks, Manningham.

I agree on the Packers example though. They just absolutely had their best game ever against us. The back shoulder throws were the most accurate throws I've ever witnessed by a QB.

Darkstorm05
12-12-2012, 08:50 AM
Regardless of your opinion on Mendenhall and his performance as a back, the question has to be asked, why the hell isn't Wallace getting this kind of treatment? He's screwed us over and taken more plays off this year than all our fumbling RB's combined. If Mendy did give up backtalk, maybe it was something like "Why are RB's benched for a fumble but that clown drops balls and causes interceptions every other game?".

steelfury02
12-12-2012, 09:14 AM
Regardless of your opinion on Mendenhall and his performance as a back, the question has to be asked, why the hell isn't Wallace getting this kind of treatment? He's screwed us over and taken more plays off this year than all our fumbling RB's combined. If Mendy did give up backtalk, maybe it was something like "Why are RB's benched for a fumble but that clown drops balls and causes interceptions every other game?".

I'm just guessing but - Mendy probably knew his chances of remaining on the team diminished when he got re-injured. Then, he really didn't help his cause by coming back and being a liability. He got put in the dog house (for the 2nd time) - Tomlin probably has had a lot of talks with him about what he expects and what it would mean if he didn't meet those expectations. His work habits in practice are known to be below average. Then, he just flat out doesn't show up, on top of his comments? If the guy just played and made mistakes, but was humble about the situation - he might have gotten his last chance after the Cleveland debacle - but now, Tomlin had to put him out of his misery.

SteelCityMom
12-12-2012, 09:44 AM

Yup, agree with steelfury. Probably comes down to attitude during practice and meetings and whatnot. You can't be shitting the bed AND have a shitty attitude (see Jeff Reed) and not expect to get some kind of discipline for it.

I had a feeling there was something more going on when he got benched the second time. You have to know that wasn't just because of poor performance.

TRH
12-12-2012, 09:53 AM
it will likely be a case just like Arians. A parting that will be good for both sides.

Although, look for Wallace to be in greater demand by other teams. Running backs are starting to be extremely expendable nowadays.

steelfury02
12-12-2012, 09:54 AM
Yup, agree with steelfury. Probably comes down to attitude during practice and meetings and whatnot. You can't be shitting the bed AND have a shitty attitude (see Jeff Reed) and not expect to get some kind of discipline for it.

I had a feeling there was something more going on when he got benched the second time. You have to know that wasn't just because of poor performance.

and believe me, I don't ever want to hate on a player just to hate - I'm still a little pissed at Father Flanagan (Bruce Arians) for effing up Mendy's confidence and psyche. Mendy was Arians' goat for far too long IMO. That said, and I think you're spot on. Haley coming in was his chance for a fresh start, and regardless of injury, he could have dropped all the attitude, opinions, and just worked towards becoming a better professional. Even if he was struggling, you would have seen the effort on the field and heard more teammates speak out on his behalf. There is a reason no one is going to bat for him.

Darkstorm05
12-12-2012, 10:04 AM
and believe me, I don't ever want to hate on a player just to hate - I'm still a little pissed at Father Flanagan (Bruce Arians) for effing up Mendy's confidence and psyche. Mendy was Arians' goat for far too long IMO. That said, and I think you're spot on. Haley coming in was his chance for a fresh start, and regardless of injury, he could have dropped all the attitude, opinions, and just worked towards becoming a better professional. Even if he was struggling, you would have seen the effort on the field and heard more teammates speak out on his behalf. There is a reason no one is going to bat for him.

Yea, I have no doubt he was in a pissy mood. Watching him leave the field after the 2nd fumble I had a feeling that was his last carry in Pittsburgh. He looked like he just didn't give a shit anymore.

SoCalFan
12-12-2012, 10:32 AM
We needz a class A citizen at running back, lets bring back Bam Morris!

Mendy needs to stop acting like a whiny little beatch and start acting more like a THUG while running the ball...Come on G, take your frustrations out on the other team! Im calling it now, come playoffs he will be the solid starter!

Quackjack
12-12-2012, 10:47 AM
If I could have ANY RB in the league, it would be Alfred Morris of the Redskins.

Dude is a machine!

Blackout
12-12-2012, 10:51 AM
I don't blame him if he got angry, it's bullshit. Seriously Dwyer and Redman are terrible backs. But to bench who should be your starting RB over two fumbles and then not even get dressed for the next game is retarded. Yet Wallace gets to play with all his drops. Why the double standard when it comes to RBs?

Mendy hasn't had many touches since coming off his injury and sure he's going to be rusty. but this methodology of rotating RBs all the time just doesn't make sense to me. Focus on one starting RB and develop him, which should be Mendy because the other two are half assed running backs.

big pig
12-12-2012, 11:00 AM
Mendy will get picked up by a decent team with a O line and run all over us by next season, my guess is Indy. Tomlin needs to go!

steelfury02
12-12-2012, 11:00 AM
Dwyer def has conditioning issues - Redman has really just got lost in the shuffle

Mendy has been in the dog house before, so he should've known better than to fumble and proceed to act like a child.

SteelCityMom
12-12-2012, 11:05 AM
I don't blame him if he got angry, it's bullshit. Seriously Dwyer and Redman are terrible backs. But to bench who should be your starting RB over two fumbles and then not even get dressed for the next game is retarded. Yet Wallace gets to play with all his drops. Why the double standard when it comes to RBs?

Mendy hasn't had many touches since coming off his injury and sure he's going to be rusty. but this methodology of rotating RBs all the time just doesn't make sense to me. Focus on one starting RB and develop him, which should be Mendy because the other two are half assed running backs.

Again, most likely it had more to do with attitude than with his play. You can screw up during games, but if your attitude is shit on top of that, then it's going to be a problem. I guarantee that the first time he was benched, it wasn't for his play alone. I don't remember Tomlin ever making someone a healthy scratch just for play on the field (last I can remember him making a starter a healthy scratch was Holmes for the drug stuff).

You can screw up, but your work ethic and attitude in practice afterwards make a big difference. I have a feeling Mendy wasn't putting in the necessary work at practice and probably had a bad attitude at meetings and stuff as well. It's the only thing that makes sense to me. There's a lot of stuff that could be going on behind the scenes that we just aren't aware of.

Fire Haley
12-12-2012, 11:16 AM
Mendy will get picked up by a decent team with a O line and run all over us by next season, my guess is Indy.

my guess he goes to the Cards and gets added to the Steelers refuse pile there.....if The Whiz doesn't get fired first

Cards claim Brian Hoyer off waivers

steelfury02
12-12-2012, 11:22 AM
Jesus Cardinals. I swear they have the front office mic'd up.

Darkstorm05
12-12-2012, 12:29 PM
Jesus Cardinals. I swear they have the front office mic'd up.

They did grab up Hoyer. Everyone will get to see just how he does soon.

Blackout
12-12-2012, 01:03 PM
Again, most likely it had more to do with attitude than with his play. You can screw up during games, but if your attitude is shit on top of that, then it's going to be a problem. I guarantee that the first time he was benched, it wasn't for his play alone. I don't remember Tomlin ever making someone a healthy scratch just for play on the field (last I can remember him making a starter a healthy scratch was Holmes for the drug stuff).

You can screw up, but your work ethic and attitude in practice afterwards make a big difference. I have a feeling Mendy wasn't putting in the necessary work at practice and probably had a bad attitude at meetings and stuff as well. It's the only thing that makes sense to me. There's a lot of stuff that could be going on behind the scenes that we just aren't aware of.

I agree with you. My post was based off what we do know. However Mendy not showing up to Heinz Field is more an attitude problem.

Atlanta Dan
12-12-2012, 01:43 PM
This from Gerry Dulac of the P-G:banging:

Which is worse for Rashard Mendenhall: Not showing up for the Chargers game or saying he didn’t think he had to?

Apparently, that’s what Mendenhall told Coach Mike Tomlin when he was summoned to the Steelers office yesterday afternoon and informed he was being suspended – that he didn’t think he was required to show up for the game because he was inactive.

That answer further points up the lack of “team” commitment the Steelers think Mendenhall displays – an attitude that probably doesn’t go over big with the rest of his teammates.

It is one thing for a player on injured reserve to not be on the sidelines for a game. But, in nearly every circumstance, any player who is on the 53-man roster and has been deemed inactive still stands on the sidelines with his teammates during the game.

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/pro-sports/steelers/119195-gerry-mendenhall-told-steelers-he-didnt-think-he-was-required-to-be-at-game-

Wonder what Mendy did Sunday afternoon

Go to the movies? Christmas shopping? Went to a sports bar to watch the Ravens-Redskins game that was on the same time as Steelers-Chargers?:noidea:

teegre
12-12-2012, 02:03 PM
If I could have ANY RB in the league, it would be Alfred Morris of the Redskins.

Dude is a machine!

I would.. uh... take AP. Just sayin'...

Riddle_Of_Steel
12-12-2012, 02:23 PM

^^^^ This.

Riddle_Of_Steel
12-12-2012, 02:32 PM

While I can never accept Mendenhall's conspiracy theory crap, I am sorry to say this post was probably one of the dumbest things I have ever read on the internet to date.

He never said what he "thinks his tweets show"-- that was the message board posters on the internet making assumptions.

You speak like being a RB in the NFL is no small honor. What do you do for a living?

No matter how much money a person makes, they are NOT an indentured servant. Good to know that you would perform illegal acts for a little bit of money though.

What does being disgruntled with your employer have to do with a person's intellignce?

:doh::doh::doh::doh:

Atlanta Dan
12-12-2012, 04:09 PM
Tomlin speaks

"Last Sunday he was not at the game,'' Tomlin said after practice. "I deemed those actions a detriment to our efforts. I stated as such when I met with him and there were going to be repercussions of it.

"We had a good visit, he accepted it. He looks forward to coming back and rejoining this team on Monday and being a positive contribution to our efforts the rest of the way.

"Obviously there's frustration with his situation understandably but we all have a job to do, I require that all guys remain professional regardless of personal circumstance. He didn't meet the standard in that regard and accepted the consequences of it. So, hopefully this will be a lesson learned not only for him but for everyone and we'll be able to move on from it."

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/tomlin-speaks-on-suspension-of-mendenhall-666023/

So let the word go forth - the standard includes showing up on the sidelines for games even if you only get to wear a gray hoodie rather than a plastic hat

ricardisimo
12-12-2012, 04:43 PM

Agreed, but it would make more sense to me if what happened was something like mouthing off about the benching or the RB rotation.

I still feel for Mendenhall. I don't think he's ever gotten a square deal during his tenure, first an injury, then dealing with Arians' nonsense, then another injury and now this. i don't know... maybe he's an ass and I'm just not seeing it. He seems like a bright, talented dude.

Edman
12-12-2012, 04:53 PM

Yeah, Mendenhall really got a bad rap in Pittsburgh. It's not like he's been given loads of opportunities to succeed and has continually let the "terrible backs" outperform him. If Redman and Dwyer are so terrible, it doesn't fare well on Mendenhall that he does not cannot amongst the RB committee, depsite being better than Redman and Dwyer.

All through this year and last season, How many times has he been handed the keys to the car as the big-time back and flubbed it up?

Blackout
12-12-2012, 05:31 PM
I still feel for Mendenhall. I don't think he's ever gotten a square deal during his tenure, first an injury, then dealing with Arians' nonsense, then another injury and now this. i don't know... maybe he's an ass and I'm just not seeing it. He seems like a bright, talented dude.

I feel for him as well. And to add to the above, throw in a bad O-line and it's a recipe for failure for whoever would be starting as an RB, sadly that happened to Mendy.

I actually commended him on the tweets about the death of Osama. It was the perfect time to expose such ideology from folks. People need to stop being so reactionary.

I don't see why that continually still gets brought up. It was a long time ago and to detract Mendy over a bunch of tweets and his HuffPo blog is a bad argument about him as an NFL athelete.

I'm not trying to be a Mendy apologist here, but I'm getting tired of hearing the criticsm leveled against him which I don't think is good based on the circumstances of his career performance..

TRH
12-12-2012, 05:36 PM
hey...I saw a whole bunch of "inactive" players for other teams on their sidelines just this week.....in hoodies, jackets, holding clipboards, whatever.
There's definitely a lack of commitment here...not matter if your against or "pro" Mendenhall.

Steel95
12-12-2012, 08:47 PM

So true; but when is the last time we saw a healthy Mendenhall? The guy's attitude is just not good; he opens his mouth and the wrong thing constantly comes out. You're a Professional Mendy! Just because you didn't dress doesn't excuse you from reporting to a game. C'mon! You don't need me to tell you that.

Mendy will be gone next year along with Wallace; time to get rid of all that dead weight. Woodley better get his head out of his A$$ as well, he hasn't done too much of anything the past two seasons. "Oh wait, this just in, Woodley just pulled something." :rofl:

teegre
12-12-2012, 10:12 PM
hey...I saw a whole bunch of "inactive" players for other teams on their sidelines just this week.....in hoodies, jackets, holding clipboards, whatever.
There's definitely a lack of commitment here...not matter if your against or "pro" Mendenhall.

True.

7 or 8 players HAVE to inactive for games. The teams can have extra players for practices, but can only dress 53 of them. SOMEONE will always be in sweats.

VictoryFormation
12-13-2012, 02:35 AM
Right, or wrong, Mendenhall is disgusted with the team, because he is not getting the opportunity to suit-up and play. He wants out, so he didn't show up for the game. Coach Tomlin has every right to be pissed, but playing it up in the media is unprofessional. This is not high school, this is the NFL.

Cyphon
12-13-2012, 02:40 AM
Personally I could care less. I have wanted him gone for a long time now and it is good to see him on his way down/out. Not that I wish ill on people but he just isn't a good running back for our team.

IowaSteeler927
12-13-2012, 03:03 AM
Never liked Mendenhall. Really started disliking him after his fumble in the Super Bowl, and started despising him after his 9/11 conspiracy theory, tinfoil cap comments that were completely and totally out of line. He had his opportunity to put up or shut up and come back again against the Browns and he literally and figuratively "fumbled" said opportunity away. I wouldn't mind if they plainly cut him, and if another team is stupid enough to take on the cancer that is Rashard Mendenhall and trade us even a late round draft pick for him then good riddance.

StainlessStill
12-13-2012, 04:55 AM
Judging by what I'm reading, we should cut him now. Release him, whatever we need to do. His mouth has gone overboard. Dude just doesn't fit here. ByeBye.

ricardisimo
12-13-2012, 09:11 PM
Judging by what I'm reading, we should cut him now. Release him, whatever we need to do. His mouth has gone overboard. Dude just doesn't fit here. ByeBye.
His mouth? Do you have more info? Links, please.

Hawaii 5-0
12-14-2012, 12:30 AM

guess we could look at some of Mendy's quotes he has put out on his twitter account...

IowaSteeler927
12-14-2012, 02:03 AM

Just read his comments on 9/11. Absolutely asinine.

Millers the sh!t
12-14-2012, 05:42 AM
I don't think mendy was ever given a fair chance. It sounds to me like narrow minded Steelers fans don't like him cause he has an opinion that is not part of the majority. I bet IF HE CHOSES to sign elsewhere, he is a top back. Rashard don't seem to be the person that wants to be part of the NFL scene cause he knows there is way more politics/business involved that takes the fun out of the game. Rashard has too much self respect for this league.

IowaSteeler927
12-14-2012, 06:46 AM
I don't think mendy was ever given a fair chance. It sounds to me like narrow minded Steelers fans don't like him cause he has an opinion that is not part of the majority. I bet IF HE CHOSES to sign elsewhere, he is a top back. Rashard don't seem to be the person that wants to be part of the NFL scene cause he knows there is way more politics/business involved that takes the fun out of the game. Rashard has too much self respect for this league.

His "opinion" on 9/11 was inflammatory and conspiracy theorist in nature. He put his opinion on Twitter a social media site out for the world to read. It was stupid to put it on there in the first place. He knows fully well that everyone was going to read it and what the backlash would be from people in general, the fans, and the media for that matter. Those kinds of opinions are best kept to yourself, especially when you're a professional football player in the public eye.

As for his performance he has done absolutely nothing to inspire confidence. He is injury prone, and the past couple of seasons even when he has played he has been inconsistent. He killed a good drive in the Super Bowl against the Packers with his fumbling issues as well. He has had fumbling issues off an on throughout his playing career.

This year he's had his chances to take the reigns at the HB position and he once again got hurt. Even when he did play he was incredibly inconsistent, hesitant, and his fumbling problems reared their ugly head once again. To top it off he was listed inactive for the Chargers game and decided that was an excuse to just not show up and support his team. Players like Polamalu, or Roethlisberger set an example and lead from the sidelines when they are hurt. Mendenhall would rather shun his teammates and the fans by staying at home. He was suspended for a reason. He's been given a fair shake far too many times and it's high time they booted his sorry ass to the curb.

Your own sig says "Screw Wallace, throw it to Heath". Wallace sadly has been a more consistent player for us than Mendenhall.

steelfury02
12-14-2012, 08:27 AM
His "opinion" on 9/11 was inflammatory and conspiracy theorist in nature. He put his opinion on Twitter a social media site out for the world to read. It was stupid to put it on there in the first place. He knows fully well that everyone was going to read it and what the backlash would be from people in general, the fans, and the media for that matter. Those kinds of opinions are best kept to yourself, especially when you're a professional football player in the public eye.

As for his performance he has done absolutely nothing to inspire confidence. He is injury prone, and the past couple of seasons even when he has played he has been inconsistent. He killed a good drive in the Super Bowl against the Packers with his fumbling issues as well. He has had fumbling issues off an on throughout his playing career.

This year he's had his chances to take the reigns at the HB position and he once again got hurt. Even when he did play he was incredibly inconsistent, hesitant, and his fumbling problems reared their ugly head once again. To top it off he was listed inactive for the Chargers game and decided that was an excuse to just not show up and support his team. Players like Polamalu, or Roethlisberger set an example and lead from the sidelines when they are hurt. Mendenhall would rather shun his teammates and the fans by staying at home. He was suspended for a reason. He's been given a fair shake far too many times and it's high time they booted his sorry ass to the curb.

Your own sig says "Screw Wallace, throw it to Heath". Wallace sadly has been a more consistent player for us than Mendenhall.

I agree on the 9/11 comments - but not on the fumble in the SB - sure it was awful, AWFUL momentum changing timing. But, his blocker completely stunk it up that play and he didn't have a chance from the moment the ball was snapped. He got completely blown up by Matthews on what should have been at worst, a stop for a loss. I'm still wondering how 85 ever made the active roster. The dropped 5 yard passes are still haunting me. Ugh Bruce Arians product.

Also - just my two cents - Ben really didn't become that great of a teammate or leader until after he almost got traded to Siberia after the 2nd allegation. I agree on Troy though.

Lady Steel
12-14-2012, 11:50 AM
Rashard has too much self respect for this league.

The way I see it, if Mendy has so much respect for the league, he would have shown up for work.

Cyphon
12-14-2012, 01:02 PM
But, his blocker completely stunk it up that play and he didn't have a chance from the moment the ball was snapped. He got completely blown up by Matthews on what should have been at worst, a stop for a loss.

The fumble isn't completely his fault and you make a fair point but he is still a pretty consistent fumbler. On top of that if you ever watch how he carries the ball it is about as bad as it gets. There is a 5 point technique that players are taught and practice. Mendenahll covers maybe 2 of those points when he carries the ball.

I honestly can't even watch him run without expecting a fumble almost every time. I believe he even fumbled when nobody touched him because of the way he carried the ball.

Beyond the fumble problems though, he just isn't that good. He seems scared to get hit and runs more side to side and backwards than forward. Our team is a team with a reputation for toughness and he just doesn't fit.

Hawaii 5-0
12-14-2012, 04:57 PM
http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT-8-oFxCKcJL7dyL0OyDMD1GkvwuGhBCc03n8CkMHGICFDSkvV

Clark, the Steelers‘ players union representative, understands why coach Mike Tomlin is upset that Rashard Mendenhall was a no-show Sunday, even though he knew he wasn‘t playing. As Clark said, what if the circumstances change on game day? “I‘m an inactive player and I know I‘m not playing because I‘m a healthy scratch. But what if Troy (Polamalu) wakes up in the morning and his foot swells? You can be put up (to play). So that‘s why you want a guy at the game, from my perspective.”

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/3118297-85/wallace-roethlisberger-steelers#ixzz2F4A0XzR3

Hawaii 5-0
12-14-2012, 10:58 PM
Rashard Mendenhall believes Steelers still want him

By Gregg Rosenthal
Published: Dec. 12, 2012

Rashard Mendenhall knew he would be inactive for the Pittsburgh Steelers' Week 14 game against the San Diego Chargers, so he decided not to show up for it, according to NFL.com's Aditi Kinkhabwala.

Now Mendenhall has been suspended for a week, the Steelers announced Tuesday.

With just three weeks left in the season and his contract running out, it wouldn't be surprising if Mendenhall doesn't play for the Steelers ever again. But Mendenhall, who believed the team gave up on him before the suspension, now believes he's still in the Steelers' plans.

Kinkhabwala reports, citing a source close to the player, that the suspension led to "a lot of positive conversation" between the Steelers and Mendenhall, and he now believes he will be a factor down the stretch.

"I really believe Rashard is going to come back with great energy and great excitement," Mendenhall's agent, Mike McCartney, told Kinkhabwala. "He's going to embrace his teammates and his team, and he could be a huge part of a playoff run."

Mendenhall figures to be one of the more interesting free-agent running backs on the market this offseason. McCartney knows as well as anyone that this act of petulance in the middle of a playoff run isn't going to help his client.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000109988/article/rashard-mendenhall-believes-steelers-still-want-him?akmobile=android-tablet&campaign=Ext_Email_NL_15_PIT&cvosrc=Ext.Email.NL.15.PIT

Lady Steel
12-14-2012, 11:46 PM
Mendy needs to put up or shut up.

TheVet
12-14-2012, 11:55 PM
Mendy needs to find his life's work.

ricardisimo
12-15-2012, 01:09 AM
The fumble isn't completely his fault and you make a fair point but he is still a pretty consistent fumbler. On top of that if you ever watch how he carries the ball it is about as bad as it gets. There is a 5 point technique that players are taught and practice. Mendenahll covers maybe 2 of those points when he carries the ball.

I honestly can't even watch him run without expecting a fumble almost every time. I believe he even fumbled when nobody touched him because of the way he carried the ball.

Beyond the fumble problems though, he just isn't that good. He seems scared to get hit and runs more side to side and backwards than forward. Our team is a team with a reputation for toughness and he just doesn't fit.
No he's not. He's actually exceedingly sure-handed. Ironically enough, I'd prefer people criticize him for his tweets (which he actually wrote) than for his fumbles, which are fairly low. He's had two, maybe three bad games in his career that are skewing his numbers a bit, but skewing people's opinion of him even worse.

Short version: dislike him all you want. He's not a fumbler.

Cyphon
12-15-2012, 01:39 AM
No he's not. He's actually exceedingly sure-handed. Ironically enough, I'd prefer people criticize him for his tweets (which he actually wrote) than for his fumbles, which are fairly low. He's had two, maybe three bad games in his career that are skewing his numbers a bit, but skewing people's opinion of him even worse.

In 34 attempts he has 3 fumbles this year.

4 fumbles in 2010 including 1 in a playoff game and 1 in the Superbowl.

3 fumbles in 2009 (242 attempts).

I don't know how that compares to other running backs so I won't tell you I am fully confident in my argument but that looks bad. I am especially looking at 2010. Not only did he fumble but look at the games he did it in. That is bad news.

ricardisimo
12-15-2012, 02:39 AM
He has 9 fumbles in over 900 touches (less than 1%). Jerome Bettis, universally lauded for his lack of fumbles, had 41 fumbles in 3,679 touches... over 1%. The point being that Rashard is more reliable than the running back for whom all of his critics have a boner. And if you remove just two or three particularly bad games from his resume, he's stellar, in Curtis Martin territory.

I would suggest to you and to Coach Tomlin that he has those 3 fumbles because he has only 34 attempts. The Steelers need to pick a running back and stick with him, whether or not it is Mendenhall.

Cyphon
12-15-2012, 02:58 AM
The point being that Rashard is more reliable than the running back for whom all of his critics have a boner. And if you remove just two or three particularly bad games from his resume, he's stellar, in Curtis Martin territory.

Again, I am looking not only at amounts but when he did it. Big game failure on his part. I remember Bus did the same shit vs the Colts and Ben bailed him out.

I would suggest to you and to Coach Tomlin that he has those 3 fumbles because he has only 34 attempts. The Steelers need to pick a running back and stick with him, whether or not it is Mendenhall.

From the beginning of the season and even moreso now I have been saying Redman is the guy. He is better than the other 2 and has proven that he can carry the load in games as the feature back. Including big games. Yes, he hasn't done it for a full season but that is because we haven't started him for a full season.

teegre
12-15-2012, 10:08 AM

Agreed: Mendenspin does not fumble often. That said...

A certain "un-named" QB was insanely good at not throwing INTs. But, he had TWO in SuperBowl XXX.

Likewise, I don't think that Ernest Byner fumbled very often... but, he has a play named after him, called The Fumble.

In other words, totals are less important than timing.

TheVet
12-15-2012, 07:59 PM
He has 9 fumbles in over 900 touches (less than 1%). Jerome Bettis, universally lauded for his lack of fumbles, had 41 fumbles in 3,679 touches... over 1%. The point being that Rashard is more reliable than the running back for whom all of his critics have a boner. And if you remove just two or three particularly bad games from his resume, he's stellar, in Curtis Martin territory.

It's so easy to miss the important information in a sea of statistics. Mendenhall dangles that ball out there needlessly, and in the big games the opponents won't let him get away with it - and in fact, they haven't. He's an accident waiting to happen - as Harrison said, "a fumbling machine" (when it counts).

And that's not all. He has a history of giving the minimum effort, and he's always displayed his "me before the team" attitude. That's a real problem on a team. He's a disappointing, indecisive runner, especially given his amazing physical tools. It comes down to desire and attitude. Toe make it worse, he's an embarrassing idiot in public.

Look beyond the stats, look at what's happening on the field! This man damages the team. It's ludicrous to compare him to a true leader like Bettis, a man who always gave his best and inspired others around him. Seriously, that's just an insulting comparison.

Hawaii 5-0
12-15-2012, 11:35 PM
It's so easy to miss the important information in a sea of statistics. Mendenhall dangles that ball out there needlessly, and in the big games the opponents won't let him get away with it - and in fact, they haven't. He's an accident waiting to happen - as Harrison said, "a fumbling machine" (when it counts).

the way Mendenhall carries the ball it's amazing he doesn't fumble more often, but you're right...he's an accident waiting to happen.

http://cdn3.sbnation.com/uploads/chorus_image/image/3479271/20121009_jel_al8_464.0_standard_352.0.jpghttp://a.espncdn.com/photo/2009/1004/nfl_u_mendenhall03_480.jpg

Hawaii 5-0
12-16-2012, 11:54 AM
What are Steelers thinking with Mendenhall?

December, 16, 2012
By Jamison Hensley | ESPN.com

The Steelers suspended running back Rashard Mendenhall earlier this week. Now, there's word that the team is committed to meaningful contractual conversation with Mendenhall this offseason, sources told ESPN's Adam Schefter.

This is a mistake and it goes beyond the suspension. Mendenhall, who is an unrestricted free agent at the end of the season, has been banged-up this season and his play was declining last season even before his severe knee injury. The Steelers lost faith in him after he fumbled twice on four carries in Cleveland, which is why he was been inactive for two games prior to the suspension.

So, why are the Steelers thinking of re-signing Mendenhall? Honestly, I'm confused. The Steelers will bring back Jonathan Dwyer and Isaac Redman, both of whom are restricted free agents. This is also a prime time to get younger at this position and take a running back early in the draft. Teams have been able to have success with rookie running backs, and you don't have to take one in the top five like Trent Richardson. Doug Martin, David Wilson and Alfred Morris have been instant producers in their first season in the league.

There has been talk that the Steelers aren't furious with Mendenhall for him not showing up for last Sunday's game, which led to his suspension. In fact, the Steelers could've suspended Mendenhall four games. So, sitting him for one game is a slap on the wrist in comparison.

But it's a bad idea to bring back Mendenhall, and this is about what everyone has seen on the field. He doesn't run in between the tackles. He is too quick to bounce the ball to the outside, which has upset the Steelers' offensive linemen.

The Steelers usually make sound decisions in the offseason. Keeping Mendenhall wouldn't be one of them.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/61371/what-are-steelers-thinking-with-mendenhall

PhantomJB93
12-16-2012, 02:06 PM
Can't believe they're actually talking about an extension, unless they plan on trading him.

Blackout
12-16-2012, 02:13 PM
Can't believe they're actually talking about an extension, unless they plan on trading him.

He might have a few more years in the tank. I'm sure the FO recognizes that their RB situation doesn't look good. Redman and Dwyer are not consistent enough to be a starting back.

Darkstorm05
12-16-2012, 02:14 PM

I'd be more inclined to say they realize that Dwyer and Redman as the only choices simply won't work, and they want to leave their options open in case the draft doesn't pan out for them.

ricardisimo
12-16-2012, 03:23 PM
They're going to get Mendy on the cheap, and he will do fine. Don't know what Hensley's talking about "getting younger". Mendenhall's still a puppy.

Atlanta Dan
12-19-2012, 05:23 PM
IMO Mendenhall could care less if he plays another down this season as long as he gets paid

Ben sorry, Rashard not, as Steelers' soap drama continues

Ben Roethlisberger offered an apology but Rashard Mendenhall did not in the latest episode of 'As The Steelers Turn'.

The soap opera that has been the 2012 season took another twist when Roethlisberger apologized, not necessarily for what he said after Sunday's game that some took as criticism of coordinator Todd Haley, but for his words being misinterpreted and causing a "storm."...

Mendenhall made no apologies for skipping the game at Heinz Field Dec. 9, an action that drew a one-week suspension (and loss of $41,000 in salary) from Tomlin that ended Monday.

"I'm really not trying to go back into that," Mendenhall said at first. "It's good to be back."

But when told that Tomlin used the word "frustration" to describe how Mendenhall felt, the halfback disputed that.

"I wouldn't use that word," Mendenhall said about his reasons for not attending the game. "There's a lot of thought that goes into everything that I do." :toofunny:

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/local/breaking/ben-sorry-rashard-not-as-steelers-soap-drama-continues-666988/

ricardisimo
12-20-2012, 12:28 AM
I don't know... smells like a non-story to me. If I were any of the Steeler's running backs this year I would be pIssed and skipping games as well.

lloydwoodson
12-20-2012, 01:28 AM
Tomlin can bench who he wants. Ultimately it is his responsibility more than anyone else that the team succeeds. Running backs are a dime a dozen. Mendenhall really hasn't gotten a good deal from the Steelers either financially or in play-calling. On the other hand he thinks way too much. Steelers have always wanted downhill runners that rely on pure determination. Stop waiting for a hole to open and RUN SOMEONE OVER!

Millers the sh!t
12-20-2012, 06:34 PM
The way I see it, if Mendy has so much respect for the league, he would have shown up for work.

Re read it....