PDA

View Full Version : preparing to start

67 calsteel
12-11-2012, 06:44 PM
espn is reporting that decastro is preparing to start maybe sunday.tomlin and the staff feel that he is ready to take the next step.if practice goes well the line could look like this Starks,Foster,pouncey,dd and beachum.

steeltheone
12-11-2012, 06:47 PM
espn is reporting that decastro is preparing to start maybe sunday.tomlin and the staff feel that he is ready to take the next step.if practice goes well the line could look like this Starks,Foster,pouncey,dd and beachum.

It's a shame they have to use him, id feel better if he was brought along slow after his injury.

67 calsteel
12-11-2012, 06:53 PM
IF we were smart (i see my problem) we would have him on a snap count.See how he is doing during the game.

pete74
12-11-2012, 06:56 PM
He has practiced for a while and is ready to play. Its a good thing

SteelCity4Life
12-11-2012, 06:58 PM
He was activated what, 2 weeks ago? Sounds like he's ready, and with Colon gone we may need him. I say for sure give him a chance after seeing what happens this week.

FanSince72
12-11-2012, 07:01 PM
It's a shame they have to use him, id feel better if he was brought along slow after his injury.

Which is exactly what should have been done with Ben as well and probably had much to do with why we lost to San Diego.

SteelCity4Life
12-11-2012, 07:06 PM
Which is exactly what should have been done with Ben as well and probably had much to do with why we lost to San Diego.

Losing to San Diego was almost squarely on the defense for not creating any pressure, leaving guys wide open, and ultimately allowing them to score.

Yes, Ben WAS rusty, but didn't you notice him hitting his stride towards the end? If the defense would have prevented the scoring, maybe we'd all be here celebrating one for the W category??:noidea:

Ricco Suavez
12-11-2012, 07:13 PM
Players do you no good on the bench. If cleared by Doctors and if the Coaches feel he can help then you play him. Does he get any better sitting out, how would you know? These guys play through injuries all year long, and at this time DeCastro is one of the healthiest OL men we have.

VaDave
12-11-2012, 07:25 PM
I'm pretty excited to see this kid in action. The problem is, we brought him in to pull and trap, which means Beachum has to either control the gap that DeCastro vacates, or really set the edge to provide the gap. I hope he's up to the task.

RE: Defense in the San Diego game

It's pretty obvious the Charger game plan was a steady diet of short passes, which negates a strong pass rush. Where the breakdown was, wasn't so much the front 7, it was the play of the secondary. No Ike, a diminished
Troy, Allen and Lewis playing with Hip flexors, and Brown playing with his head up his butt. Clark had to leave the game too.

RE: The O

When your starting LG goes down forcing your center to move to LG, and brining in a scrubeenie to play center, and you are already playing your 3rd best RT......... Add to that, your "best" wideout is trying to play his way out of town, your second best has a bum wheel, and your third best has a bum shoulder, your forth best is recovering from fractured ribs, your 5th best was didn't clear waivers on a roster move, our 6th best was picked of the practice squad, so we are now playing the tth in Burress who hasn't played in how many years???

Still, with all this going on, the vast majority of Steeler Nation thinks we still should have beat the Chargers 55-0. Truely amazing.

SteelCity4Life
12-11-2012, 07:31 PM
I'm pretty excited to see this kid in action. The problem is, we brought him in to pull and trap, which means Beachum has to either control the gap that DeCastro vacates, or really set the edge to provide the gap. I hope he's up to the task.

RE: Defense in the San Diego game

It's pretty obvious the Charger game plan was a steady diet of short passes, which negates a strong pass rush. Where the breakdown was, wasn't so much the front 7, it was the play of the secondary. No Ike, a diminished
Troy, Allen and Lewis playing with Hip flexors, and Brown playing with his head up his butt. Clark had to leave the game too.

RE: The O

When your starting LG goes down forcing your center to move to LG, and brining in a scrubeenie to play center, and you are already playing your 3rd best RT......... Add to that, your "best" wideout is trying to play his way out of town, your second best has a bum wheel, and your third best has a bum shoulder, your forth best is recovering from fractured ribs, your 5th best was didn't clear waivers on a roster move, our 6th best was picked of the practice squad, so we are now playing the tth in Burress who hasn't played in how many years???

Still, with all this going on, the vast majority of Steeler Nation thinks we still should have beat the Chargers 55-0. Truely amazing.

I'm certainly not saying we should have went 55-0. Ben JUST got back. Besides, we can't even score 30 with this lackluster offense.

But we SHOULD HAVE WON. Wining a HUGE game against your division rival with a 3rd string QB and then blowing it at your home field was the most pathetic and idiotic thing ever. I blame the coaches for not preparing the players both physically and mentally.

Now we're one loss from being done for the season. Tomlin's "I/we take responsibility" is a load of crap. If you took responsibility, you wouldn't have 8 turnovers against the Cleveland Browns of all people, and you wouldn't have lost To Oakland, Tennessee, etc.

It's painful being a fan right now.

El-Gonzo Jackson
12-11-2012, 07:40 PM
The question becomes if they put DeCastro at RG and Foster at RT. I think that puts your 5 best linemen on the field, but not sure if he has the quickness to handle edge rushers better than Beechum. Put the brace on Decastro and its good to go.

teegre
12-11-2012, 07:43 PM
The question becomes if they put DeCastro at RG and Foster at RT. I think that puts your 5 best linemen on the field, but not sure if he has the quickness to handle edge rushers better than Beechum. Put the brace on Decastro and its good to go.

Who & how aligned would your "top five" be?

To me, it's:

Starks - Foster - Pouncey - DD - Beachum/Adams

Are you suggesting (I am reading between the lines, but please, correct me if I got the wrong impression):

Starks - Pouncey - Legursky - DD - Foster

VaDave
12-11-2012, 07:48 PM
I was just joking about the 55-0 quip. As for the reality check, I'm dead serious. Most teams in this league can't even field 22 competitive players, let alone going as deep as we have been forced to in our depth chart.

My gosh man, your expectations are just a little high my friend. Look, I want them to win just as badly as you do, but we played this game with a a severly crippled OL, and secondary. Just because they are wearing black and gold, doesn't make them automatically championship players.

There is a reason starters are starters. The reason is they are better players.Then logic should tell you that each time Next Man Up happens, your team gets weaker. Eventually, you are playing in a confused state as positions and duties change each time a man goes down. When it happens during the game to 4 or more players, it's over. IMO, there was no logical reason for this team to have won this game.

vasteeler
12-11-2012, 07:52 PM
Losing to San Diego was almost squarely on the defense for not creating any pressure, leaving guys wide open, and ultimately allowing them to score.

Yes, Ben WAS rusty, but didn't you notice him hitting his stride towards the end? If the defense would have prevented the scoring, maybe we'd all be here celebrating one for the W category??:noidea:

agreed, plus coaching.....ben certainly wasnt the reason we lost

rich4eagle
12-11-2012, 07:54 PM

I feel pretty strongly the Steelers are better than their last three opponents. Win OUT! Ben will play hard, and the D will top, it is about game management and the referees and the bounces, the refs which are known to blow calls always and determine outcome and bounces which cement referee blunders or neutralize or counter them, I strongly believe the Steelers can win out.

We need to pick a running back instead of making them all tentative

We need to blitz more and be aggressive on defense

we need to have ONE game where the referess do not screw us. That fumble pass against SD was forward

Go Steelers 2006 deja vu :tt::tt04::tt03::wave::popcorn::applaudit::hatsoff :

JewniorGong
12-11-2012, 08:04 PM
Why bother with the "We should bring him along slowly" stuff? He has missed 13 games. He was activated weeks ago, and has been practicing. He's not a China doll, he's a football player. If he can play and is better than what we have, let him loose

btaylor179
12-11-2012, 08:45 PM
o line has to play better than last week....that was sad

maddog78
12-11-2012, 08:46 PM

He was. He's been training and preparing for weeks since being reactivated.

lardlad
12-11-2012, 09:02 PM

Yeah but come on. What like 3 first downs the first half with one trip over the fifty?

If you want to blame the D special teams has to be mentioned because of the short filed SD had all day. And the offense basically gave up 14. The D wasn't the sharpest but the offense was terrible and except Suisham, ST's was worse. Coaching was at the bottom of the pile too.

steelfury02
12-11-2012, 09:34 PM
the defense isn't going to hold every team they face to only 1 or 2 TDs - just not realistic nowadays. The injuries are pilling up again, and again, and again, and oh yea, two of our play makers don't give a shit. the best weapon on O (Brown) decides to play like garbage now too.

We need to go on a winning streak in the worst way. Can you imagine if the meltdown continues? This team has some intangibles they don't currently have - 1 being another leader on offense besides Ben. Also, need someone vocal on defense. Also - we need to see them be accountable and actually have an identity.

Every single one of these players are professionals, but they aren't playing like a Steeler is expected to play. Think Franco Harris feels that these guys have heart? Hell no.

austinfrench76
12-11-2012, 09:49 PM
Looking forward to watching DD play. Can't be worse than last week. Wait, YEs it could! Let's just win the game!