PDA

View Full Version : SteelCityMan786's Rant on people whining about Super Bowl Reffing

SteelCityMan786
08-12-2006, 10:41 PM
Tonight I was on my way home from the State College Spikes v.s. Vermont Lake Monsters Game at Medlar Field at Lubrano Park and I'm listening to a radio show and a Washington Redskins fan calls in and wines about the refs in the Super Bowl. The guy goes and say ahhh the refs just gave it to the steelers and the hosts say quit your whining.

Man am I sick and tired of explaining to some people. Just like every Super Bowl Champion from 1-39 They had to EARN THE SUPER BOWL and they EARNED IT. All they are doing is just wanting to hate the champs. That's fine with me. But don't whine about something that's a lie. The Reffing was fair. The Steelers found ways to win the game despite the fact Big Ben has a 22.9 QB Rating If I remember correctly. And what did they do, they won. It's as easy as that. REFS DON'T WIN BALL GAMES. TEAMS DO.

Livinginthe past
08-13-2006, 01:38 AM
I think in the year 2085 Steeler fans will still be whining about other fans whining about the SBXL win.

Really, you got the win, be happy with that - by bringing it up over and over just makes you look guilty.

Time to move on - the Steelers have a Championship to defend.

NM

HburgXL06
08-13-2006, 01:43 AM
I'm not guilty, nor is the rest of the Steeler Nation. We know what we earned. This was just an individual fans rant on his frustration over hearin the idiocy of another fan. There is always some bullshit like this after every super bowl. It's done and over but there just happen to be some crybabies on this occasion who won't let it go. It will fade wit time as the season progresses.

BuFu

Mosca
08-13-2006, 09:05 AM
Ef em, WGAFS?

BBC
08-13-2006, 09:58 AM
I think in the year 2085 Steeler fans will still be whining about other fans whining about the SBXL win.

Really, you got the win, be happy with that - by bringing it up over and over just makes you look guilty.

NM

Couldn't agree more LITP. If you guys expect everyone else to drop it - maybe you should do the same. :hunch:

Tankus_Maximus
08-13-2006, 10:17 AM
I agree with LITP. Patriot fans if anything know how to handle controversy in big games..Brady & the "fumble"? Course this game wasn't as obvious as that one, the Seahawks had PLENTY of opportunities to win that game. The officiating had NOTHING to do with Big Willie's big run. The zebras had NOTHING to do with Randle El's TD pass. Scoreboard says: One for the thumb, and work on the 6th.

LambertIsGod58
08-13-2006, 10:48 AM
I agree that the whole subject needs to go away...that horse is dead, so stop kickin' it.

Tankus_Maximus
08-13-2006, 12:26 PM
I agree Lambert....but NEVER stop kicking the Bengals!! NEVER!!!

SteelCityMan786
08-13-2006, 03:28 PM
I just had to speak out. I'm getting sick of hearing things. It's been a pain in the you know where still hearing about it especially since last year is OVER. It's a new year we're out to defend the title we earned.

Tankus_Maximus
08-13-2006, 05:09 PM
I feel your pain SteelCity. But I take comfort, when I think about the conversations I've had with fans who understand football and it's rules. And the general consensus is, that yeah there were some iffy calls, but comparable to a boxing match, if you're not getting the points, knock your opponent out. The Seahawks didn't, The Steelers did.

The thing that gets me going is everyone elses defense of the holding calls on Seattle. Damn near every single offensive snap Seattle took, I could see Clark Haggans just about in a headlock by the o-line. Oh yeah, and when Ben was "in flight" toward the end zone, the tip of the ball did in fact break the plane, and that's all you need.

I'll get off my soapbox now.

(for this issue at least)

RoethlisBURGHer
08-14-2006, 12:44 PM
You guys know how to get people to shut the hell up about this?

First,we have to stop responding.They want us to respond and get upset.

Second,the Steelers have to come out and kick some major ass,and totally dominate SB XLI.Ben will have to have a good game,Willie will have to show he can get it done without Bettis' help,and the defense will have to kick some real ass.

SteelCityMan786
08-14-2006, 04:35 PM
Hmmmm good purposals RoethlisBURGHer.

Stillers#1
08-22-2006, 05:03 PM

NMMark this on the calendar, I agree with LITP. We won, who cares what they think. I still love going to Seahawks cap with my Porter jersey on. I think Hasselbeck got a little scared when he saw me. lol

Anways, LITP makes a valid point, if we drop it, our boys will show everyone again this year.

silver & black
08-22-2006, 05:30 PM
C'mon guys, who cares? The Steelers have the Lombardi for Superbowl XL... just the Steelers, no one else. There is only one reason the Steelers have that Lombardi... they won the Superbowl!

No amount of whining, crying, or complaining by any fans of any other team is going to change it... just enjoy it. knowledgeable fans from all teams know that the Steelers earned the Championship... don't sweat it.

Tankus_Maximus
08-22-2006, 06:11 PM
Amen.

Lyn
08-23-2006, 11:36 AM
If it were just Tom, Dick & Harry (fans from other NFL teams) saying this it would definitely be a nonissue, however, when you have Michaels & Madden making constant negative remarks regarding the Steeler's SuperBowl win in front of millions of people, you have a real problem.

In the Sunday night game between Seattle and Indy..they are picking up where they left off in the Super Bowl. They mentioned that the league never fined Mike Holmgren for his comments about having to beat the refs and the Steelers too in the SB. So they basically implied that the Seahawks did get jobbed and lost the SB on bad calls.
Later in the game.. after Seattle got a call in their favor in the end zone Michaels said " OH sure. NOW they get the calls!" Ok its just entertainment but we could be seeing the start of a season long "Seattle lost the SB on bad calls, not on their inept play" refrain.
Collinsworth did much the same thing last week when he called out Bettis on the Cincy game saying the Steelers were lucky to win that game.
When a guy in a bar after one too many says it ..its one thing..but these guys reach a huge audience and I hope someone will call them on it on air because I am getting sick of the myth. It tarnishes the Steelers win amongst the general public.

What to do? Nothing I guess...its a little frustrating but I have disliked Madden and Michaels (although I do respect what they have done in years past) for some time as individuals and now that they are together its a little worse...LOL! Still a lot of people will mouth whatever they say the next day at work and that concerns me.

To shut them up we could REPeat, but we should not have to shut them up to begin with. They are supposed professionals who evidently dislike the Steelers so much they cannot even see what all they have accomplished. A 6 seed winning the superbown and knocking off some damn good treams on the way to their win. We get no respect and I for one am getting real sick of it. They have put in more hours talking about that dip TO then talking about real athletic talent.

Sorry this is just the way I feel on this topic.

Tankus_Maximus
08-23-2006, 12:15 PM
I agree whole-heartedly, Lyn. But take solace in this..Madden's an idiot. I never listen to anything that guy says. The most entertaining thing that comes outta his pie-hole is usually started with a "BOOM".

The way to silence the critics is to repeat. The Patriots had the same problem after their 1st Super Bowl victory, remember the "fumble" call?

Lyn
08-23-2006, 01:04 PM
i agree we need to "do it again " but at the same time I seriously doubt we will ever have the repect we deserve and since there is nothing anyone can seemingly do about it, we need to ignore the jerks on tv who are "reminding the Seahawak fans" that they got screwed and the refs had "terrible towels in their pockets" and that they should have won the superbowl.

1. The Refs didn't give up the longest run in SB history...Seattle's
defense did.

2. The Refs didn't bite on a 43 yd trick play, Randle to Ward for a
TD...Seattle's defense did.

3. The Refs didn't allow Ben to scramble around on a 3rd and 28 and
complete a long pass to the 2 yd. line...Seattle's defense did.

4. The Refs didn't miss two field goals, that was Seattle.

5. The Refs didn't fail to step out of bounds late in the 1st half to
stop the clock in Pitt territory in a crunch time
situation...Seattle's offense did.

6. The Refs didn't let the 1st half clock tick down from 48 seconds
all the way down to 13 seconds before finally running their next play
at Pitt's 36 yd line...Seattle's offense did.

7. And on this play, 3rd down, 53 yds away from a FG, it wasn't the
Refs who tried and failed to go deep for a TD rather than a safer 5
yrd play and timeout setting up a much easier FG attempt....that,
again, would be Seattle's offense.

8. The Refs didn't get confused by Pitt's zone defense and throw an
INT...that would be Seattle's QB.

9. The Refs didn't let a little physical contact intimidate them from
catching 4 very catchable passes...that would be the Seattle TE
Jeremy Stevens.

10. With approx. 20 seconds left in the game, knowing they need a TD
and FG, in no particular order, and in easy FG range on 4th down, it
wasn't the Refs who ignored the FG and elected to throw up a prayer
trying for a TD...that AGAIN would be Seattle.

11. The Refs didn't constantly punt deep into the end zone,
repeatedly giving Pitt the ball at the 20 yd line...that of course
was Seattle.Opportunities to pin the Steelers really deep should have
been capitalized.

12. It wasn't the Refs who received a Christmas gift wrapped easy INT
lobbed in perfect position to return deep into Pitt territory...the
lucky beneficiary of that break would be Seattle.

13. It wasn't the Refs who got a break when a Steeler DB dropped an
easy int early in the game...that too would be a break for Seattle.

14. It wasn't the Refs who caught a break when a Steeler WR dropped a
very catchable TD pass...that break again would go to Seattle.

15. It wasn't the scapegoat Refs that received a break when a WR
caught the ball, turned, stepped, was hit hard enough to cause a
fumble, and then ruled INCOMPLETE...that would be of course, another
chance for Seattle.
(this was an interesting call considering that after Troy's famous
overruled Int, the NFL stated that it WAS a catch. If so, than this
definitely WAS a catch)

16. The Refs weren't the ones who caught a break when at the
conclusion of a 2nd qtr play, as a Pitt DE was walking away, the
Seattle Center blindsided the defenseless player, leveling him to the
ground. This mysteriously unseen crime was again another break for
Seattle.

17. It wasn't the Refs who got a break when Pitt QB Big Ben was
blocked in the back as he pursued the DB who he'd tossed an int
to...that again would go to Seattle.

18. It wasn't the Refs who stopped Seattle RB Alexander in a few key
situations.... That would be the Pittsburgh Steelers.

19. It wasn't the Refs who converted many of their 3rd downs yet
stopped their opponent on 3rd downs.The Seahawks had one penalty on
third down.

Tankus_Maximus
08-24-2006, 12:21 AM
Couldn't have said it better myself.

Remind me to hire Lyn as my attorney, the next time I get arrested.

SteelCityMan786
08-24-2006, 08:58 PM
Couldn't have said it better myself.

Remind me to hire Lyn as my attorney, the next time I get arrested.

Either that, or you report someone in.

83-Steelers-43
08-24-2006, 11:42 PM
Tonight I was on my way home from the State College Spikes v.s. Vermont Lake Monsters Game at Medlar Field at Lubrano Park and I'm listening to a radio show and a Washington Redskins fan calls in and wines about the refs in the Super Bowl. The guy goes and say ahhh the refs just gave it to the steelers and the hosts say quit your whining.

Man am I sick and tired of explaining to some people. Just like every Super Bowl Champion from 1-39 They had to EARN THE SUPER BOWL and they EARNED IT. All they are doing is just wanting to hate the champs. That's fine with me. But don't whine about something that's a lie. The Reffing was fair. The Steelers found ways to win the game despite the fact Big Ben has a 22.9 QB Rating If I remember correctly. And what did they do, they won. It's as easy as that. REFS DON'T WIN BALL GAMES. TEAMS DO.

I know how you feel brother. I came to the realization a long time ago that it's simply not worth repeating yourself over and over again. People that know the game of football will realize what truly happend during that game. Simple as that. BLOWN OPPORTUNITIES.

Bottomline in my book.........WE GOT THE RING. :bouncy:

Time to repeat!

Lyn
08-27-2006, 04:34 PM
I agree whole-heartedly, Lyn. But take solace in this..Madden's an idiot. I never listen to anything that guy says. The most entertaining thing that comes outta his pie-hole is usually started with a "BOOM".

The way to silence the critics is to repeat. The Patriots had the same problem after their 1st Super Bowl victory, remember the "fumble" call?

I can do that:)

steelermaniacXL
08-28-2006, 08:58 PM
You can think the officiating was horrible, and still not take anytyhing away from the steelers... hell its not jerrome's fault, its not bill's fault, and its not our faults as fanst that the refs in the NFL make bad calls... remember it has happened to us too.