PDA

View Full Version : Big Ben says "it’s time to pick it up and go"

Hawaii 5-0
12-13-2012, 12:13 AM
Big Ben says it’s time to go

By F. Dale Lolley
published dec 13, 2012

http://ORweb.SX2.atl.publicus.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?Site=OR&Date=20121213&Category=SPORTS0403&ArtNo=121219726&Ref=AR&q=100&maxw=550&maxh=500

Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger feels as though the team needs to put a multitude of distractions behind it. “It’s time to pick it up and go,” Roethlisberger said.

PITTSBURGH – Between injuries, suspensions and holdouts, the Steelers have had more than their share of potential distractions this season.

The way the Steelers see it, they’ve turned the corner, even if that turn came on just two wheels, and are ready to begin their drive toward the postseason.

“That’s a good way to put it, turning the corner on two wheels,” said quarterback Ben Roethlisberger. “But I think the turn is over. I think we’re going to settle down on four, kick it into four-wheel drive and get going.”

The Steelers (7-6) swear that the latest drama surrounding the team, the suspension of running back Rashard Mendenhall Tuesday for conduct detrimental to the team, won’t be a factor in their preparations for Sunday’s game at Dallas (7-6).

“I think those are reasons (when) you lose,” said Steelers safety Ryan Clark. “If we were three games better, it’s not talked about as much. It’s more about the way we overcame adversity, or drama. I think the words change and the language used about what we’ve been through changes.”

Mendenhall was suspended by head coach Mike Tomlin for one game after not showing up for last Sunday’s loss to San Diego when he learned that he would be inactive.

But it’s not been the lone issue surrounding the Steelers, who have been inconsistent, this season.

Wide receiver Mike Wallace did not report to training camp while in a contract dispute, while rookie nose tackle Alameda Ta’amu was arrested Oct. 14 after he allegedly evaded police while driving intoxicated and struck several parked cars, injuring one person, on Pittsburgh’s South Side, drawing a two-game suspension. He was later waived and signed to the team’s practice squad.

And then there are the injuries.

Pittsburgh’s starters have missed a total of 44 games to injuries this season, not including players such as offensive tackle Mike Adams, who were hurt after replacing other injured players.

“I think more than anything, the most drama we’ve had is injuries, not so much people going on IR, but missing games,” said Clark. “That’s probably been a lot more difficult to overcome than a guy not coming to a football game, or a guy not coming to training camp, or a guy who has never played a snap in a regular game missing time because of something that happened off the field.”

One of the biggest issues surrounding the Steelers coming into this season was how it would respond to a loss of veteran leaders such as Hines Ward, James Farrior and Aaron Smith, who all retired after 2011.

And because of the injury issues the team has had, a number of younger players are being counted upon to play increased roles.

Roethlisberger feels it is incumbent upon the team’s veterans to show the younger guys how to play with an increased sense of urgency and tune out possible distractions, not through words, but through actions.

“I think you’ll see from guys who have been around here a while that it’s that time, you’ll start seeing some leaders step up in how to practice, how to get ready for games,” Roethlisberger said. “Hopefully, young guys will take some cues from that.

“It’s that time of year. I know that me in particular and some guys who have been around here, you’re going to start seeing a different mindset and mentality that it’s that time of year. In years past, nobody has had to say it, because we have had so many guys that have done it before. It’s time to pick it up and go. I think we have some veteran guys who will do that. We’ve got to get the young guys to do the same.”

Odds and end zones

The Steelers on Wednesday released wide receiver David Reed from their practice squad and signed wideouts David Gilreath and Derek Moye and cornerback Isaiah Green. … Linebacker LaMarr Woodley, who has missed the past two games with an ankle injury, was a full participant in practice Wednesday. … Corner Cortez Allen has a groin injury, not a hip flexor injury as reported by Tomlin Tuesday. … In addition to Allen, corners Ike Taylor (anke) and Keenan Lewis (hip), offensive linemen Mike Adams (ankle) and Willie Colon (knee), linebacker James Harrison (illness), safety Troy Polamalu (coach’s decision) and wide receiver Emmanuel Sanders (shoulder) did not practice Wednesday.

http://www.observer-reporter.com/article/20121213/SPORTS0403/121219726#.UMljVM2FEmw

Steel_Bus_24
12-13-2012, 01:10 AM
Its gut check time fellas

Time to find out who really wants it

jiminpa
12-13-2012, 06:23 AM
Its gut check time fellas

Time to find out who really wants it...not Tomlin. Let's see if the coordinators and players have enough to overcome him again.

Vis
12-13-2012, 06:43 AM
See. I think it's past time.

4xSBChamps
12-13-2012, 07:27 AM
"... UNLEASH...

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y272/Glensgages/football/RoethlisbergerandTomlin_zpsdccb750d.png

... the 'pick-it-up and go'!!!"

maddog78
12-13-2012, 08:07 AM
Too much talking this year, not enough doing. Sounds like they're trying to convince themselves of something they don't really believe.

Saw this in 2003, 2006, 2009.

steelfury02
12-13-2012, 08:14 AM
Too much talking this year, not enough doing. Sounds like they're trying to convince themselves of something they don't really believe.

yea - it's all good that we can lose and still beat Cleveland and Cincy - but after a potential loss, who has the confidence that they'll win both of those games?

They need a win, right now. Nothing else matters. The talk means shit. I heard the same stuff backing into the playoffs last season and they weren't ready.

The_Joker
12-13-2012, 08:16 AM
As I said, Sunday is Judgement Day. If this team does not come out and ball HARD, then I have litterly 0 faith in them come January.

steelfury02
12-13-2012, 08:28 AM
As I said, Sunday is Judgement Day. If this team does not come out and ball HARD, then I have litterly 0 faith in them come January.

12-16-12. 4:30 PM, Dallas. The day the Steelers became self-aware and eliminated mankind.
http://digitaljournal.com/img/2/1/0/8/2/9/i/3/9/6/o/terminator_10.jpg

maddog78
12-13-2012, 08:31 AM
yea - it's all good that we can lose and still beat Cleveland and Cincy - but after a potential loss, who has the confidence that they'll win both of those games?

They need a win, right now. Nothing else matters. The talk means shit. I heard the same stuff backing into the playoffs last season and they weren't ready.

Agreed. Nothing will convince me that a team who has lost 4 of 5 (if we lose Sunday) is going to suddenly go on a six-game win streak and bring home a trophy.

This game is the turning point in the season.

steelfury02
12-13-2012, 09:15 AM
Agreed. Nothing will convince me that a team who has lost 4 of 5 (if we lose Sunday) is going to suddenly go on a six-game win streak and bring home a trophy.

they'll have to go on the road every single game to get to the SB. This is THE test. I just hope after this win, and possibly 2 more, that the Steelers don't get too high on themselves for two home wins, that better Steelers teams should win.

Steel Peon
12-13-2012, 09:56 AM
Sounds like they're trying to convince themselves of something they don't really believe.
I have to agree, and I'd say additionally they're trying to convince the fans, one of which (myself), really doesn't believe it.

steelfury02
12-13-2012, 12:01 PM
I have to agree, and I'd say additionally they're trying to convince the fans, one of which (myself), really doesn't believe it.

yup, like i've stated before, lots of talkers and no walkers on this team

Fire Haley
12-13-2012, 12:12 PM
so does that mean abandoning the running game and going with all deep bombs to Wallace?

steelfury02
12-13-2012, 12:22 PM
so does that mean abandoning the running game and going with all deep bombs to Wallace?

HOPEFULLY:chuckle:

desertsteel
12-13-2012, 03:08 PM
...not Tomlin. Let's see if the coordinators and players have enough to overcome him again.

Blah blah blah

Riddle_Of_Steel
12-13-2012, 03:58 PM
...not Tomlin. Let's see if the coordinators and players have enough to overcome him again.

Why do you hate Tomlin so badly? Who would you have rathered for HC?

Just curious, not being argumentative...

Riddle_Of_Steel
12-13-2012, 04:17 PM

I echo that.

Truth be told, not too confident in their chances this year as I was a week or two ago. I have been saying for weeks that they are gonna be turning things around now with getting guys like Polamalu, Mendenhall, DeCastro, Colon back in the lineup, and it really looked like the Steelers were turning a corner, and totally under the radar. I thought they were gearing up for a playoff run.

Then they layed a big, fat, fucking egg at Heinz this weekend to a bottom dweller.....yet again. That game kinda dashed my hopes on the rocks.

Their loss to the Chargers was a perfect representation of everything that went wrong with this season-- injuries, undisciplined play/penalties, aging veterans given too much playing time over fresher guys, broken offensive line, unable to score more than 27 points per game.

I am just holding out hope that with all the guys just returning from injuries; Brown, Polamalu, DeCastro, etc. that maybe it is not too late for them to get it together and gear up for December football.

These guys CAN do it-- it is just a matter of WILL they.

BlaZeQuietly
12-13-2012, 06:23 PM
to whoever is hatin' on Tomlin; SHUT UP! hes a great coach, it's our team that needs to improve, his coaching is fine. He was totally right to suspend selfish mendenhall for now showing up to work.
The Cowboys present a great test this weekend. They are playing good right now and in a playoff race. If we can beat them preferably with out looking like a bunch of clowns) than we have a shot. If we lose(looking like a bunch of clowns) than go ahead and flush us down the toilet, forfeit the next two games, Draft a running back with out 7-9 redcord we might end up getting a chance at a good half back. Hey if we win, lets steam roll the bungles and clowns and keep it going in the play offs. I would be happy ig this team just wins one playoff game, I dont think we are capable of beating the Broncos, Patriots or Texans, sorry. Unless we magically transform into a team that can get control of the ball, and maintain control of the ball, not look like a bunch of clowns that look so pathetic I hear circus music while they are chasing the ball around the field like a bunch of stupid idiots.

austinfrench76
12-13-2012, 10:43 PM
We win and we're in. That's all there is to it. 3 wins gets us in the tournament. That would put all the BS losses behind us and gives us a shot. Here we go...!

steelfury02
12-14-2012, 08:48 AM
We win and we're in. That's all there is to it. 3 wins gets us in the tournament. That would put all the BS losses behind us and gives us a shot. Here we go...!

This^. Time to put up or shut up. There isn't any more chances. The Bengals won last night - the pressure is back on the Steelers to keep this ship floating until the rematch.

Fire Haley
12-14-2012, 11:13 AM
We win and we're in. That's all there is to it. 3 wins gets us in the tournament. .!

Wrong - losing to the Cowboys, doesn't even matter

Beat Cincy and the Browns and we are in

Fire Arians
12-14-2012, 11:41 AM
Wrong - losing to the Cowboys, doesn't even matter

Beat Cincy and the Browns and we are in

yes it does matter a lot. what good will it do for the team's confidence to win it all on the road if they can't even beat the cowboys on the road?

i disagree 1000% that this game doesnt matter. as a matter of fact it's a glimpse into the future of how the team will look in 4 weeks

Hawaii 5-0
12-14-2012, 01:43 PM
yes it does matter a lot. what good will it do for the team's confidence to win it all on the road if they can't even beat the cowboys on the road?

i disagree 1000% that this game doesnt matter. as a matter of fact it's a glimpse into the future of how the team will look in 4 weeks

I agree, it looks like we're definitely going to have to win games on the road if we make it to the playoffs.

Stairway to 7
12-14-2012, 02:09 PM
Over the these last 3 weeks the Steelers (and us) are going to find its too late to just turn it on. It's not going to happen, there's no on/off switch for this team.

They're not good enough.

Steel95
12-14-2012, 02:54 PM
WTF!!! It was gut check time when they lost to Oakland; it was gut check time when they almost lost to K.C. and had to go to OT to win. Too much talking and not enough execution; better yet, I'm sick and tired of Mike Tomlin looking like he is in the land of Happy World, then he goes into his press conferences and look as though he is disturbed because they lost. Go Figure! Many analysts, experts and ex coaches have said numerous of times that a Professional Football Team takes on the personality of their head coach. Well that pretty much explains why the Steelers are 7-6 and on the verge of not making the playoffs.

Ok, I do know and understand injuries has something to do with it as well. I'm still putting much of the blame on the Head Coach; it was his decision to stick with a QB like Leftwitch. Tomlin and Colbert hasn't done too well with picking talent in the middle rounds since 2007. Granted, there are some good players on this 2012 Team, but how many are Play-Makers?

Hawaii 5-0
12-14-2012, 05:01 PM
Roethlisberger, like many quarterbacks coming off an extended injury layoff, wasn‘t spectacular in his return. He went 22 of 42 for 285 yards and three TDs on Sunday, but he missed quite a few throws. He expects to be much better in Dallas. “I think I did come out a little anxious, a little rusty, but we just couldn‘t put it together,” Roethlisberger said. “It wasn‘t like we had any two positions doing the right thing. It was one of those funky things, and I think we‘ve got it corrected.”

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/3118297-85/wallace-roethlisberger-steelers#ixzz2F4AqDceN

Hawaii 5-0
12-14-2012, 05:03 PM
One day after Ben Roethlisberger asserted his leadership by publicly challenging his teammates to play better in Dallas than they did while losing badly to San Diego, tackle Max Starks confirmed the quarterback is the vocal leader of the offense. Until recent seasons, Roethlisberger often deferred to the Steelers‘ numerous veterans. You have guys like Larry Foote, James Harrison and Brett Keisel, those are probably your defensive vocal guys,” Starks said. “I think on offense you have more of a Ben-type. … I don‘t need to give a rah-rah speech. Let your play dictate itself over anything else.

“Heath (Miller) is also one of those guys that is a consummate professional and shows you how to do it; not a lot of words but plays bigger than his voice.”

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/3118463-85/games-season-colon#ixzz2F4BV2vpV

Riddle_Of_Steel
12-14-2012, 07:28 PM
“Heath (Miller) is also one of those guys that is a consummate professional and shows you how to do it; not a lot of words but plays bigger than his voice.”

I would feel inspired to play on the same team as Heath Miller.

AndyWitmyer
12-15-2012, 09:16 PM

The Three-Year-Curse strikes again!

Hawaii 5-0
12-16-2012, 11:32 PM
Ben used to be clutch, when is the last time he led us on a game-winning drive?

GoFor7
12-16-2012, 11:33 PM
Ben used to be clutch, when is the last time he led us on a game-winning drive?

The Giants.

Hawaii 5-0
12-16-2012, 11:44 PM
The Giants.

and how many times did Ben have the opportunity to lead us on a game-winning drive at the end of the game this season but didn't?

GoFor7
12-16-2012, 11:47 PM
and how many times did Ben have the opportunity to lead us on a game-winning drive at the end of the game this season but didn't?

Yeah I know what the fuck? I mean the receivers are making all the tough catches and totally not fumbling and this new offense has kept him upright and healthy!

Oh wait...

Hawaii 5-0
12-19-2012, 12:13 AM
Two words define Steelers loss to Cowboys

By PaVaSteeler on Dec 18

http://cdn1.sbnation.com/uploads/chorus_image/image/5204639/130122086.0_standard_500.0.jpg

There are many words that could be used to describe the ongoing issues that face the Steelers and contributed to their 27-24 overtime loss to the Dallas Cowboys. Two words however, stand out not just for this past game, but for much of the season as well: lackadaisical and lax.

Lackadaisical is an adjective meaning "without interest, vigor, or determination; listless, lethargic". For example: "Antonio Brown appeared lackadaisical given the way he failed to notice the punt was 17 yards short in the last two minutes of regulation".

Lax is an adjective meaning "lacking in rigor, strictness or firmness". For example: Todd Haley was extremely lax in his use of the running game against the Cowboys.

Many of the key Steelers have been in a lackadaisical mind set in four of their last five games. How else to explain the Steelers "coming out flat" against the Chargers and Browns (and before them the Chiefs)? How else to explain more than one player describing a lack of focus, a lack of attention or a lack of determination?

Tomlin brought in Todd Haley to design an offense that would maximize franchise quarterback Ben Roethlisberger's skill sets, but with a "Rooney suggested" emphasis on "running better".

And how well is that "running better" turning out? It's hard for the running game to be better, or even exist when the best back on the team is suspended and the designated lead running back only gets nine touches in an important game.

How else to describe Todd Haley's commitment to the running game against the Cowboys, other than lackadaisical? It seems almost as if while putting together the game plan, Haley thought to himself: "oh, tra la la la la, let's try a run just for fun".

The very first play of the game, Dwyer ran over the left tackle for six yards. He wouldn't touch the ball again until the eighth Steelers play, which came in the second series; Dwyer ran over the left tackle again for four yards but again wouldn't see the ball again until the third series, this time for no gain.

For the entire game, the Steelers only ran the ball 17 times, or barely 30 percent. It is hard to believe Haley felt the Steelers couldn't run on the Cowboys, because in the third quarter he called for Dwyer to run behind rookie RG David DeCastro from the one yard line when the Steelers needed a crucial touchdown to tie the score. If Haley had such concerns over their ability to run, why didn't he call for a fade route to Mike Wallace, even if just to make sure Wallace was paying attention?

Two weeks ago Steelers WR Mike Wallace said: "When I don't get the ball for a certain amount of time, I lose focus sometimes. It hurts me when it's time for me to make a play,"

Last week, Steelers CB Curtis Brown admitted to allowing the victory over the Ravens to cause him not to prepare as he should have for the game against the San Diego Chargers.

Last night, Steelers WR Antonio Brown was quoted as saying: "After the fumble, I got a little lax back there," Brown said.

How else other than lackadaisical can you describe the way Brown has been playing recently? Brown was referring to what he was doing just before Dallas' punt at the 2:11 mark in the fourth quarter, with the score tied and the Steelers' depleted secondary having forced the Cowboys to punt on from their own 17 yard line. Brown was back deep and allowed a 42 yard punt that hit on the Steelers 37, 17 yards in front of him, to bounce its way to him where he side-stepped and watched as the Cowboys downed it on the 20 yard line.

A 17 yard difference in field position in a tied game at the two minute warning in the fourth quarter; how much more of an important point in the game does Brown need to find himself before he's capable of not being "a little lax"? Couldn't he have day-dreamed about the touchdown he scored instead of the fumble he committed?

Lax is how Brown held the ball while returning a punt for 22 yards earlier in the fourth quarter, enabling the Cowboys to easily knock it loose and giving the Cowboys the ball on the Steelers 44 yard line, and ultimately resulting in them tying the score. Lax, as in holding it without firmness, his adherence to proper ball handling lacking in rigor (rigor: an inflexible adherence to something).

This, coming on the heels of last week's lapse where he failed to fall on a loose ball in the end zone and allowed the San Diego Chargers to fall on it for a touchdown.

Lackadaisical is also how best to describe Curtis Brown's obvious mindset after the Ravens game two weeks ago; it's a word he should have used to describe his lack of focus and lack of the proper "spirit" in preparing for the Chargers, who torched him so well.

And lax is a fine word to describe Mike Wallace, from his own confession of "losing focus" during a game. He just can't seem to manage a full 60 minutes of rigorous attention to the game. Wallace played fairly well against the Cowboys, four catches for 95 yards, especially his 60 yard catch setting up Dwyer's touchdown run. Sadly, such effort was for naught as he apparently lost focus again in overtime and only half-heartedly attempted to down Cowboys' LCB Brandon Carr after he intercepted Roethlisberger's slightly errant throw. Wallace hesitated a few too many crucial seconds, which allowed Carr to get to his feet and out-race (?) Wallace down the sideline. Of course, flinching away from a defender approaching from his right to block him didn't show much rigor on Wallace's part either.

This season is already being compared to the Steelers' 2009 fiasco of a year, where they lost five in a row and ultimately missed the playoffs. This year, their streak isn't five consecutive losses, but nonetheless it's four losses out of the last five games, and counting. And while the Steelers still remain mathematically in the hunt for a playoff position, and many fans are thinking "tra la la la la, what's one more loss?", what credible evidence do we have that the Steelers will overcome their listlessness and rediscover the vigor and determination they will need to manage to get to 9-7 and into the playoffs?

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2012/12/18/3778736/steelers-cowboys-week-15-analysis-postgame-recap-summary