PDA

View Full Version : ESPN suspends Rob Parker for saying RGIII isn't black enough

Fire Haley
12-14-2012, 12:12 PM
... and because he has a white fiancee, or something like that

ESPN announced Friday morning that commentator and Saturday First Take host Rob Parker has been suspended

http://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2012/12/robparker2-e1355503975521.jpg?w=250

Parker made racially charged remarks about RGIII during a Thursday appearance on First Take. He questioned the rookie quarterback's blackness, asking if RGIII was a "brother or is he a cornball brother."

"He's not really ... OK, he's black, he kinda does the thing, but he's not really down with the cause, he's not one of us. He's kinda black, but he's not really, like, the guy you really wanna hang out with because he's off to something else."

(with video)

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2012/12/14/3766850/espn-suspends-rob-parker-rg3-comments

Vis
12-14-2012, 01:22 PM
... and because he has a white fiancee, or something like that

ESPN announced Friday morning that commentator and Saturday First Take host Rob Parker has been suspended

http://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2012/12/robparker2-e1355503975521.jpg?w=250

Parker made racially charged remarks about RGIII during a Thursday appearance on First Take. He questioned the rookie quarterback's blackness, asking if RGIII was a "brother or is he a cornball brother."

"He's not really ... OK, he's black, he kinda does the thing, but he's not really down with the cause, he's not one of us. He's kinda black, but he's not really, like, the guy you really wanna hang out with because he's off to something else."

(with video)

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2012/12/14/3766850/espn-suspends-rob-parker-rg3-comments

I can't comment on your threads, killer, because you're not Steeler enough

Fire Haley
12-14-2012, 01:29 PM
I'm down with the cause, bro

Fire Arians
12-14-2012, 01:30 PM
rg3 is probably less black than john boehner

Fire Haley
12-14-2012, 01:31 PM
If a white guy said that about RGIII he'd have been fired on the spot.

Fire Arians
12-14-2012, 01:32 PM
unless it was former_rb

Vis
12-14-2012, 01:34 PM
If a white guy said that about RGIII he'd have been fired on the spot.

Yes, and correctly so.

Now, what would happen if this Parker idiot said Luck wasn't white enough? That's the parallel.

Fire Haley
12-14-2012, 01:46 PM
Racist double standard more like it.

but what can you expect from ESPN....the NBA channel

Vis
12-14-2012, 01:51 PM
Racist double standard more like it.

but what can you expect from ESPN....the NBA channel

Talking about your own group is never as bad as talking about someone else's group.

Imagine a raven's fan talking shit about Tomlin yet Steeler fans do it every day here.

Fire Haley
12-14-2012, 01:59 PM
yeah but I took it more as a slam against RGIII because he has a white girlfriend

why even mention it? whatsup with that?

Vis
12-14-2012, 02:16 PM
yeah but I took it more as a slam against RGIII because he has a white girlfriend

why even mention it? whatsup with that?

Don't know what's up with any of it. I'll need a pic of the girlfriend tho

Fire Haley
12-14-2012, 04:01 PM
I coulda found him a better trophy wife...he must be in love

http://www.terezowens.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/RG3.png

silver & black
12-14-2012, 05:09 PM
We want to be treated like any other Amreican, but we wants yall to know we's black too, foos.

Sorry,, but that's just how I view all this equality bullshit.

Vis
12-14-2012, 05:29 PM
We want to be treated like any other Amreican, but we wants yall to know we's black too, foos.

Your point is obscure as Parkers

silver & black
12-14-2012, 05:49 PM
Your point is obscure as Parkers

To some, I'm sure.

PATS16N0
12-14-2012, 06:04 PM
Good riddance. I watched the segment live and wondered when Black Theology has become a part of ESPN programming. He should, of course, be FIRED.

Fire Arians
12-14-2012, 08:37 PM
Yes, and correctly so.

Now, what would happen if this Parker idiot said Luck wasn't white enough? That's the parallel.

there's a big double standard, if he said that about luck people would just laugh it off. it is what it is, and don't know if that will ever change

hl00ER-SAHU

could you imagine the backlash if a white rapper made a 'what if i was black' version of this song? lol. riots, man

Vis
12-14-2012, 09:32 PM
To some, I'm sure.

I could be less polite

SteelersCanada
12-14-2012, 11:00 PM
Someone on ESPN said something stupid and it wasn't Stephen A or Skip? That's sort of refreshing. This of course means, however, Skip is going to have to one-up him in the say-something-stupid-for-a-reaction department.

Anyway, he said something really stupid but shouldn't necessarily get fired over it. There is a double standard - no one is denying that. But, why does he have to be recognized as black? Why can't he just be recognized as a great quarterback and athlete?

silver & black
12-15-2012, 09:15 AM
I could be less polite

You could. Be my guest, if you want to. I'm a big boy, I can take it.

mikegrimey
12-15-2012, 12:56 PM

I think it's fortunate for you people are supposed to be afforded equal rights regardless, you're certainly not distinguishing yourself with wit, insight or comedic capability

silver & black
12-15-2012, 03:36 PM
I think it's fortunate for you people are supposed to be afforded equal rights regardless, you're certainly not distinguishing yourself with wit, insight or comedic capability

I'm sure there are a few people that got the jist of my comment...... just as there are some that didn't. Think what you will, and I'll just leave this alone now.

TRH
12-15-2012, 04:59 PM
suspended?? I'm completely offended he says something like that - and pretty much gets away with it. What if Skip Bayless had said that Andrew Luck isn't "white enough"?? I'll tell you what would happen - he'd be fired before the day was out and EVERY TV, radio and news channel would be calling for his head and what a terrible human being he is.
This disgusts me. Don't give that crap that "he's black and therefore should be allowed some leeway....". BS. We're ALL equal here, period.

Fire Haley
12-15-2012, 05:32 PM
suspended?? I'm completely offended he says something like that - and pretty much gets away with it. What if Skip Bayless had said that Andrew Luck isn't "white enough"?? I'll tell you what would happen - he'd be fired before the day was out and EVERY TV, radio and news channel would be calling for his head and what a terrible human being he is

sounds awfully familiar - did you read post #5?

bawk

steelerchad
12-15-2012, 06:13 PM
Yes, and correctly so.

Luck's about as white as they get.

lloydwoodson
12-17-2012, 11:52 PM
Rob Parker should not be fired for that comment. Yes it is an ignorant comment. Yes he should not be reaffirming to black youth they need to act "black." Why does everyone feel the need to regularly eviscerate the freedom of speech? Sure go ahead and say what you want today but you will not have a job tomorrow.

ESPN probably just doesn't want to get sued. For my part I hope he doesn't lose his job over this. I doubt he should have been hired in the first place with such an adolescent point of view but thats besides the point. Ratings should decide whether radio and tv personalities have a job not political correctness.

beer72
12-20-2012, 06:55 PM
I don't like listening or watching rob parker at all, but im all for freedom of speech! I'm also so tired of the politically correct responses every post game speech is basically the same. when you win or lose. Just look how Ben got ripped for saying basically nothing...

TRH
12-21-2012, 01:29 AM
Rob Parker should not be fired for that comment. Yes it is an ignorant comment. Yes he should not be reaffirming to black youth they need to act "black." Why does everyone feel the need to regularly eviscerate the freedom of speech? Sure go ahead and say what you want today but you will not have a job tomorrow.

ESPN probably just doesn't want to get sued. For my part I hope he doesn't lose his job over this. I doubt he should have been hired in the first place with such an adolescent point of view but thats besides the point. Ratings should decide whether radio and tv personalities have a job not political correctness.

shouldn't be fired?
Can you imagine if someone like Chris Berman (pick any white analyst) said that a white youth or white QB isn't acting "white enough"?
How fast would that firing take place? uh- in about 2.5 seconds.

mikegrimey
12-21-2012, 04:40 AM
shouldn't be fired?
Can you imagine if someone like Chris Berman (pick any white analyst) said that a white youth or white QB isn't acting "white enough"?

Do you have evidence to back that statement up? I don't remember anyone getting fired for a remark to that effect... And even if someone had would that make it right? The poster is defending their right to say stupid shit without being fired, I agree, there are a lot of tyrants on this board apparently hihhihihi

lloydwoodson
12-21-2012, 05:18 AM
shouldn't be fired?

I don't think Berman should be fired for that either.

RGIII is an excellent role model for black youth. He is smart, well-spoken, and seems like a genuine person. Unless he is carrying guns into clubs, selling pot or getting caught with hookers Rob Parker should be worried about the black athletes that are actually poor role models for children.

I am defending Rob Parker's right to be racist. His only criteria for disliking RGIII is that his fiancee has European ancestry. I would rather know what he thinks and be able to change the channel than support a show with a closet racist.

harrison'samonster
12-21-2012, 07:17 AM
he can say and think what he wants. It's still wrong, and he should still lose his job for it.

I agree that if anybody complained that somebody wasn't white enough, they'd be fired in a second.

TRH
12-21-2012, 08:11 AM
I don't think Berman should be fired for that either.

I completely agree. I wouldn't either. What i said was that "he would be". In 2 seconds flat.

SteelCityMom
12-21-2012, 08:17 AM
Do you have evidence to back that statement up? I don't remember anyone getting fired for a remark to that effect... And even if someone had would that make it right? The poster is defending their right to say stupid shit without being fired, I agree, there are a lot of tyrants on this board apparently hihhihihi

The first amendment doesn't protect you from being fired. It protects us and Rob Parker from being thrown in jail and tortured for our speech.

Employers can basically do what they want, to whomever, in regards to hiring and firing...as long as they don't blatantly say it's because of their gender, race, sexuality, etc.

mikegrimey
12-21-2012, 10:01 AM
The first amendment doesn't protect you from being fired. It protects us and Rob Parker from being thrown in jail and tortured for our speech.

Employers can basically do what they want, to whomever, in regards to hiring and firing...as long as they don't blatantly say it's because of their gender, race, sexuality, etc.

Good point, we certainly don't have a "right" to say what we want, carte Blanche, without consequences. Its more of a personal opinion of mine, nothing that could be imposed in writ.

Fire Haley
12-21-2012, 07:08 PM
Hank Williams Jr gets fired. Parker gets suspended.

Have a nice 30 day paid vacation > The NBA Channel

Edman
12-22-2012, 01:02 AM
Rob Parker can say what he wants, even if it is stupid and doesn't make any sense, but that doesn't make him invulnerable to consequences.

I'm all for Freedom of Speech as long as it is not being censored and silenced, just be ready to face whatever potential consequences for what you say.

lloydwoodson
12-26-2012, 03:26 PM
Rob Parker can say what he wants, even if it is stupid and doesn't make any sense, but that doesn't make him invulnerable to consequences.

I'm all for Freedom of Speech as long as it is not being censored and silenced, just be ready to face whatever potential consequences for what you say.

Rob Parker shouldn't be fired; he should be put on Bill Maher opposite Michael Eric Dyson so he can school dat ass yo.

A nation of grownups acting like children "He hurt my feewings give him a timeout!"

You have the freedom to be unemployed as a result of your beliefs!

Fire Haley
12-27-2012, 10:14 AM
He basically called RGIII an Uncle Tom

lloydwoodson
01-07-2013, 02:56 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFY2kJ96jNY

torpedoshell31
01-07-2013, 01:49 PM
Even worse than having a white girlfriend, Parker claimed that RG3 is a (shudder) republican. Why should Parker or anyone else care if RG3 was dating an eskimo and was a member of the Whig party?

Vis
01-07-2013, 03:34 PM
Even worse than having a white girlfriend, Parker claimed that RG3 is a (shudder) republican. Why should Parker or anyone else care if RG3 was dating an eskimo and was a member of the Whig party?

He needs to be dating a rehab nurse

harrison'samonster
01-08-2013, 07:22 PM
ESPN isn't extending Parker's contract into this year, he no longer works for them. Kind of funny they've waited a month and let him go quietly.

OX1947
01-12-2013, 04:58 PM
A lot of black people in this country think like this.