PDA

View Full Version : Mike Wallace not discouraged by booing

Hawaii 5-0
12-14-2012, 04:52 PM
we haven't had a new Mike Wallace thread for at least a day or two now, so...:chuckle:

Steelers notebook: Receiver Wallace not discouraged by booing

By Alan Robinson
Updated: Thursday, December 13, 2012

Mike Wallace wasn‘t surprised at being booed after dropping a downfield pass Sunday, saying he knew he would be under scrutiny all season because of his training-camp holdout.

“Anything I do is going to be magnified, good, bad,” Wallace said. “It‘s doesn‘t really matter. I just got to do what I need to do and handle my business and not give anybody a reason to say anything.”

And a big play will elicit cheering?

“Some (fans) would,” Wallace said. “I think they‘re out to get me a little bit.”

• Are the Steelers in the right frame of mind to shake off a season filled with surprising losses and make the playoffs? Wallace believes they are. A potential unrestricted free agent, Wallace might be playing his last few regular-season games in Pittsburgh, and the receiver doesn‘t want to leave without playing more January games. “We have three games to go hard and a playoff race to make and just try to do what we can,” Wallace said. “If we handle all of our business, all of those things will go away. Winning is the only thing that matters, and it makes everything better. If we win games and make plays, everything else will go out the window.”

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/3118297-85/wallace-roethlisberger-steelers#ixzz2F47x3I4J

Cyphon
12-14-2012, 05:07 PM
And he shouldn't be. You are a grown man and if you have to take things like a man. He is handeling it the right way. If he lets it get to him it will only get worse for him and the team.

That said, as fans I think we should support our players on the field all in the name of winning. Off the field we can grumble all we want.

Edman
12-14-2012, 07:40 PM
I don't take it as a "I can't let the booing get to me", and more like "I'll play like mediocre as much as I want and I don't care what they think".

Riddle_Of_Steel
12-14-2012, 07:59 PM
I don't take it as a "I can't let the booing get to me", and more like "I'll play like mediocre as much as I want and I don't care what they think".

Yeah, the whole "the fans are out to get me" thing is lame and tired. That is not a very humble attitude that a struggling player who wanted more money should be adopting.

The solution to that is easy enough for him-- catch a few balls amd make some plays and the fans' memories can be very short.....

zcoop
12-14-2012, 11:38 PM
Yeah, the whole "the fans are out to get me" thing is lame and tired. That is not a very humble attitude that a struggling player who wanted more money should be adopting.

The solution to that is easy enough for him-- catch a few balls amd make some plays and the fans' memories can be very short.....

Last I checked, he has caught quite a few balls, leads the team in receps, yards and TDs. Yet the drama continues.

OX1947
12-14-2012, 11:55 PM
I'm counting the days when this clown and that other worthless clown at running back no longer wear a Steelers uniform.

Millers the sh!t
12-15-2012, 12:09 AM
Fans aren't booing and scrutinizing you because you held out of camp. Fans are booing you because you are dropping more balls than you are catching. You can't catch a ball with your hands and are completely worthless unless the ball is delivered directly into your chest. Fans are booing you cause you've fumbled balls, dropped at least 4 guaranteed TD passes, dropped at least ten first down passes and your drops have led to a large number of punts, and or turnovers. Fans are booing you because you've created more harm for this team than you have production. Trust me Mike, weather you made camp or not, the lack of dedication and discipline you've displayed this season would still be getting boo'ed.

MACH1
12-15-2012, 12:21 AM
Catch the ball and you don't have to worry about it.

austinfrench76
12-15-2012, 01:02 AM
This dude is a clown anymore. I read things everyday from him that make me wonder where the hell did the old Mike Wallace go?!?!?! It seems like he's changed over night. Or maybe this is the real him and he was puting on a facade? So disappointing!

SteelerEmpire
12-15-2012, 10:19 AM
This dude is a clown anymore. I read things everyday from him that make me wonder where the hell did the old Mike Wallace go?!?!?! It seems like he's changed over night. Or maybe this is the real him and he was puting on a facade? So disappointing!

Or do the Steelers just need to hire Tony Robbins to talk to these guys before games to get them ready to play ?

torpedoshell31
12-15-2012, 11:21 AM
Fans aren't booing and scrutinizing you because you held out of camp. Fans are booing you because you are dropping more balls than you are catching. You can't catch a ball with your hands and are completely worthless unless the ball is delivered directly into your chest. Fans are booing you cause you've fumbled balls, dropped at least 4 guaranteed TD passes, dropped at least ten first down passes and your drops have led to a large number of punts, and or turnovers. Fans are booing you because you've created more harm for this team than you have production. Trust me Mike, weather you made camp or not, the lack of dedication and discipline you've displayed this season would still be getting boo'ed.

This is exactly right. I could care less if Wallace makes 100 million a game or one dollar a game, I just want him to start catching the dang football!

Ricco Suavez
12-15-2012, 12:49 PM
I have defended Wallace at times and raked him across the coals other times. He started down this road by comparing his self to the top 2-3 receivers in the NFL, and by putting a ridiculous price on his services. Hold outs rarely work with the Steelers (if ever) and all he did was come in late and out of the loop with Haleys new plan. More than anything though I believe has been his lack of effort. Even with good games he does not appear to be all out for the team, not laying out for low balls, drops, fumbles. Do not underestimate him though, he is a great talent and worthy of trying to keep. If we can somehow come to an agreement i believe he will be more like he was the first three years. If on the other hand if he feels slighted by not receiving the amount he thinks he deserves then he could be no better than this year. One thing for certain, other teams will line up for him, just may not be as high as he thought going into this year.

steelerchad
12-15-2012, 03:19 PM
Last I checked, he has caught quite a few balls, leads the team in receps, yards and TDs. Yet the drama continues.

Yeah. He was great in mop up time last week. Before that, not so much. Since he's one of the 2 starters and the other starter missed 3 games to injury, I would hope he leads the team in some receiving categories.
Mike Wallace has been a big disappointment this year. He's had a ton of drops and looks like he couldn't give a shit in some games.
His stats are almost identical to Heath's this year. Decent stats, but no where near #1 receiver production needed in today's NFL, nor is it near the $10M+ level payday he's looking for.

zcoop
12-15-2012, 03:33 PM
Yeah. He was great in mop up time last week. Before that, not so much. Since he's one of the 2 starters and the other starter missed 3 games to injury, I would hope he leads the team in some receiving categories.
Mike Wallace has been a big disappointment this year. He's had a ton of drops and looks like he couldn't give a shit in some games.
His stats are almost identical to Heath's this year. Decent stats, but no where near #1 receiver production needed in today's NFL, nor is it near the $10M+ level payday he's looking for.

His stats could be better but the dink and dunk doesn' get it to him, it is perfect for intermediate routes. He has earned the paycheck that the Steelers are paying him this season. If I recall correctly, he caught TD a few passes that compelled his team to victory this year.

You folks can hate on him all you want but the numbers don't lie (his complet history with the team). The guy has been a bargain for the money over the past four years. He has also been a professional throughout the negotiations and while playing for peanuts.

BTW, the whole team has been a disappointment this year, Mike didn't lose the games, the team did.

TRH
12-15-2012, 04:48 PM
one of the problems is that he still keeps talking about his "situation" and getting a contract - instead of talking about winning football games. He's certainly not among favorites such as Peyton Manning and Larry Fitgerald who never go there.

sloppyjoe
12-15-2012, 05:09 PM
His stats could be better but the dink and dunk doesn' get it to him, it is perfect for intermediate routes. He has earned the paycheck that the Steelers are paying him this season. If I recall correctly, he caught TD a few passes that compelled his team to victory this year.

You folks can hate on him all you want but the numbers don't lie (his complet history with the team). The guy has been a bargain for the money over the past four years. He has also been a professional throughout the negotiations and while playing for peanuts.

BTW, the whole team has been a disappointment this year, Mike didn't lose the games, the team did.

peanuts? :rofl:

FYI, if wallass didnt want to play for 'peanuts' all he had to do was sign the huge contract that he was offered. he chose to play for this dollar amount.
he has been a bargain the first 3 years, that's why he was offered a ton of money. he didnt want it.
he would have been a terrible value this year if he did sign it.

pete74
12-15-2012, 06:08 PM
A lot of people seem to dislike Wallace but he is leading our team in yards and touchdowns. Yes he has had more drops then normal but its still less then Megatron and some other top Wr's.

AndyWitmyer
12-15-2012, 06:11 PM
And he shouldn't be. You are a grown man and if you have to take things like a man. He is handeling it the right way. If he lets it get to him it will only get worse for him and the team.

That said, as fans I think we should support our players on the field all in the name of winning. Off the field we can grumble all we want.

I agree. I 100% believe that his 'lackluster' performance this year has been almost purely psychological - that hold out cost him a great deal of respect and when you're under the microscope because of it, the pressure had become a little much. Whether he's with us in the coming years or not, I hope he'll have learned a valuable lesson about greed.

He is talented, but he allowed himself to get talked into believing he was the son of god. His current mindset suggests that he's at least over that a bit of delusion.

OX1947
12-15-2012, 06:54 PM
For those of you who think the animosity is because he dropped a few balls, clearly are not paying attention to when Wallace plays or define playing the game of football differently then most of us. If you need me to explain it, I will. Same with Mendenhall, except Mendenhall is worse. His mouth doesn't know when to shut up, or his twit for a brain on the keyboard. If I wanted to read morons write nonsense I would go buy a subscription to the National Enquirer. Play football and keep your worthless nonsense to yourself.

zcoop
12-15-2012, 10:11 PM
For those of you who think the animosity is because he dropped a few balls, clearly are not paying attention to when Wallace plays or define playing the game of football differently then most of us.If you need me to explain it, I will. Same with Mendenhall, except Mendenhall is worse. His mouth doesn't know when to shut up, or his twit for a brain on the keyboard. If I wanted to read morons write nonsense I would go buy a subscription to the National Enquirer. Play football and keep your worthless nonsense to yourself.

Splain it Lucy, since you volunteered.

AndyWitmyer
12-15-2012, 11:16 PM
For those of you who think the animosity is because he dropped a few balls, clearly are not paying attention to when Wallace plays or define playing the game of football differently then most of us. If you need me to explain it, I will. Same with Mendenhall, except Mendenhall is worse. His mouth doesn't know when to shut up, or his twit for a brain on the keyboard. If I wanted to read morons write nonsense I would go buy a subscription to the National Enquirer. Play football and keep your worthless nonsense to yourself.

Personally, I believe in his right to free speech. Being a football player doesn't exclude him from that right. Of course, that same right allows you call foul on whatever he says as well. Gotta love America!

OX1947
12-16-2012, 12:30 AM
Splain it Lucy, since you volunteered.

Watch how he finishes plays. He is trying his hardest not to get hit, always diving to the ground 2 secs before he is getting hit. Never comes back for the ball. And that cost the Steelers a huge first down in the Baltimore game in Pittsburgh.

He is playing scared, that is why he has been shitty this year. He is thinking so much about his money, he doesn't want to get hurt. That is why he is dropping balls and playing like a dickhead.

He will cost us a play when it matters. That is my fear. Tomlin axed Mendenhall for this and I am very comfortable with it. I would not play Mendenhall the rest of the year. As far as Wallace, throw the ball to him on 1st downs, and on downs that aren't crucial. He is a choker and will drop the ball or not give enough effort on a play if you give it to him on an important play.

Hawaii 5-0
12-16-2012, 12:48 AM
Tomlin axed Mendenhall for this and I am very comfortable with it.

no, Tomlin suspended Mendenhall for not showing up on game day when he had been placed on the inactive list, big difference...

zcoop
12-16-2012, 08:13 AM
Watch how he finishes plays. He is trying his hardest not to get hit, always diving to the ground 2 secs before he is getting hit. Never comes back for the ball. And that cost the Steelers a huge first down in the Baltimore game in Pittsburgh.

He is playing scared, that is why he has been shitty this year. He is thinking so much about his money, he doesn't want to get hurt. That is why he is dropping balls and playing like a dickhead.

He will cost us a play when it matters. That is my fear. Tomlin axed Mendenhall for this and I am very comfortable with it. I would not play Mendenhall the rest of the year. As far as Wallace, throw the ball to him on 1st downs, and on downs that aren't crucial. He is a choker and will drop the ball or not give enough effort on a play if you give it to him on an important play.

Did you miss the winning, almost impossible catch in the end zone? And what about the winning TD 51 yard run against the Giants? Some of you want to cherry pick the negative plays, and ignore the positive ones. The positives far outweigh the negative since Mike has been on this team. If we were to start looking at ALL of our player's mistakes, none would be left standing. They all make errors, yes Ben does too. Stop acting like children and be willing to have straight up dialogue about this.

We can have our own opinions, but facts don't belong to any of us, they are what they are. Wanna talk, lets do it.

OX1947
12-16-2012, 10:12 AM
Did you miss the winning, almost impossible catch in the end zone? And what about the winning TD 51 yard run against the Giants? Some of you want to cherry pick the negative plays, and ignore the positive ones. The positives far outweigh the negative since Mike has been on this team. If we were to start looking at ALL of our player's mistakes, none would be left standing. They all make errors, yes Ben does too. Stop acting like children and be willing to have straight up dialogue about this.

We can have our own opinions, but facts don't belong to any of us, they are what they are. Wanna talk, lets do it.

Wallace and Mendenhall won't be Steelers after this season. So, arguing semantics is a waste of time. Wallace and Mendenhall are selfish players. They can go do their diva acts somewhere else. And it looks like the Rooney's will think the same.

cubanstogie
12-16-2012, 10:18 AM
Wallace and Mendenhall won't be Steelers after this season. So, arguing semantics is a waste of time. Wallace and Mendenhall are selfish players. They can go do their diva acts somewhere else. And it looks like the Rooney's will think the same.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8751797/rashard-mendenhall-pittsburgh-steelers-discuss-deal-sources
shocked when I saw this

zcoop
12-16-2012, 11:37 AM

Okay :noidea:

Again, absent of facts.

ChristianKustomz
12-16-2012, 12:46 PM
I think Walace's comment of "it doesn't really matter" attitude speaks for his look at everything. He's over paid and isn't worth a lick. He plays like garbage and he doesn't care about it. As he says...he doesn't care and that's his take on everything he does and it shows in his horrible playing all season. Let's be done with him and just fire his worthless butt from the team. He can run fast to unemployment but probably won't catch a break. Lol!

SteelersCanada
12-16-2012, 12:55 PM
I'm glad he doesn't have thin skin at least.

OX1947
12-16-2012, 02:28 PM
Okay :noidea:

Again, absent of facts.

The (bleep) do you want? A written letter from Dan Rooney to post on here?

Hawaii 5-0
12-16-2012, 02:28 PM
I think Walace's comment of "it doesn't really matter" attitude speaks for his look at everything. He's over paid and isn't worth a lick.

I don't think Wallace is overpaid at all, in fact he has definitely outperformed his contract.

pete74
12-16-2012, 05:39 PM
I don't think Wallace is overpaid at all, in fact he has definitely outperformed his contract.

Agreed. Wallace is way underpaid and all these members who think he shouldnt be here are nuts. He's the best WR on our team.

lipps83
12-16-2012, 05:47 PM
Agreed. Wallace is way underpaid and all these members who think he shouldnt be here are nuts. He's the best WR on our team.

While I would agree that he has been underpaid for his productivity in his career thus far, I will not agree with you that he is the best receiver on this team. I am starting to wonder if he isn't the 3rd best receiver on this team.

He has the worst hands of the bunch. He runs garbage routes. All he has is his speed and teams have pretty much figured him out. All he can do is run deep or the screen, and that's if he catches the ball.

At this point, he really isn't good for anything else other than a distraction which is why he was demoted.

He is a one trick pony, and that one trick is only good for a play every 3 or 4 games now. I hope he does get paid, he does deserve it. I just hope it isn't here.

pete74
12-16-2012, 05:52 PM
While I would agree that he has been underpaid for his productivity in his career thus far, I will not agree with you that he is the best receiver on this team. I am starting to wonder if he isn't the 3rd best receiver on this team.

He has the worst hands of the bunch. He runs garbage routes. All he has is his speed and teams have pretty much figured him out. All he can do is run deep or the screen, and that's if he catches the ball.

At this point, he really isn't good for anything else other than a distraction which is why he was demoted.

He is a one trick pony, and that one trick is only good for a play every 3 or 4 games now. I hope he does get paid, he does deserve it. I just hope it isn't here.

If he is our 3rd worst we have serious issues. He leads our WR's in yards and touchdowns. Everyone talks about the drops but he is average there and there are a lot more wr's who you consider better who have more drops. A lot of people only loo at his drops instead of all his good plays and every single receiver to ever play this game has numerous drops

austinfrench76
12-16-2012, 10:36 PM
Wallace won't be a Steeler next year regardless.

MasterOfPuppets
12-16-2012, 10:49 PM
great effort by wallace on the OT interception, does he stood there and watched the defender get up and start running before he even thought about trying to tackle him...:mad:

GoFor7
12-16-2012, 11:32 PM
You know, maybe Steelers fans should be more angry at Brown than Wallace. Yeah, Wallace held out, but Brown actually took the money and has underachieved thus far.

Hawaii 5-0
12-16-2012, 11:34 PM
You know, maybe Steelers fans should be more angry at Brown than Wallace. Yeah, Wallace held out, but Brown actually took the money and has underachieved thus far.

Brown was just as glum, just as willing to accept blame. With the Steelers ahead 24-17 and 10 minutes left in the fourth quarter, he returned a punt 22 yards. However, Victor Butler stripped him of the ball, Dallas teammate John Phillips recovered at the Steelers 44 and the Cowboys (8-6) made good on it when DeMarco Murray ran three yards untouched up the middle on third down to knot the game back up with 6:55 left.

Mike Tomlin put the loss squarely on Brown.

"We allowed them to remain in the game, and we lost the game because of it," Tomlin said. "We had a lead, we had a punt return. It was going to be good field position. We put the ball on the ground."

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/dallas-leads-steelers-3-0-after-first-quarter-666629/#ixzz2FHPo6p41

TRH
12-16-2012, 11:38 PM
great effort by wallace on the OT interception, does he stood there and watched the defender get up and start running before he even thought about trying to tackle him...:mad:

yeah - i saw that too and couldn't believe it on replay again. He just stood there and watched the guy run right by with it. The tiny kickers put more effort into it than that trying to tackle somebody.