PDA

View Full Version : Best sports cities... Pgh 21 ...WTF

BlacknGold Bleeder
08-13-2006, 10:48 AM
First off if someone else posted this ,I did not see it.
I can't believe that the Sporting News had the balls to publish this article. PITTSBURGH ranked 21 are they freaking nuts or what? We should be at least top ten , IMO top five. What other city has more dedicated fans? To rank us 21 is an insult , these cities ahead of us,?: Miami, Phoenix, Raliegh, Minneapolis, Freaking Cleveland at 20!! I'll get off my soapbox now...

The top tenlist

Rk. City Last
year Comment
1. Chicago 15 includes Evanston
2. Miami 4
3. Dallas-Fort Worth 8
4. Detroit 3 includes Ann Arbor, Ypsilanti
5. New York 10
6. Denver 13 includes Boulder
7. Boston 1 Don't fret, Beantown -- your reign had to end some time
8. Los Angeles 5 Angels have their way; Anaheim gets its own listing this time.
9. Philadelphia 2
10. Phoenix 12 includes Tempe

here's the link:
http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=113586

Jeremy
08-13-2006, 10:50 AM
Any list that includes Miami and LA in their Top 10 can only be a joke listing.

melroseplace
08-13-2006, 11:43 AM
#21? that's total crap

Steelers
08-13-2006, 12:15 PM
What would you expect from a sports media that hates on us constantly. Just further evidence. A joke...

Jeremy
08-13-2006, 12:29 PM
South Bend ahead of State College is laughable. My wife is a Notre Damw alum and she even laughed at that when I showed it to her.

PisnNapalm
08-13-2006, 12:33 PM
Ok I haven't read the article but... remember this.

1. Our football fan base is HUGE! but it's just 1 of the 4 major sports.
2. Pens hockey hasn't been good in a long time.
3. Pirates haven't been good in a long time. They don't draw the fans like they used ot.
4. There is no pro basketball team.

If this was about a city's football fan base... then yeah... We'd have to rank top 5 easily. But for sports in general... I dunno... :o\

stillers4me
08-13-2006, 12:42 PM
I guess they forgot that Super Bowl XL was the most watched SB since the last time the Steelers played and that the NFL said they sold a record amount of merchandise with a Steeler win. But that's just football.

Sharkissle29
08-13-2006, 12:42 PM
lets face it tho.....steelers are the only big thing in pittsburgh, pirates and penguins? i think not.... i live in chicago and i can tell you baseball is huge here, and the bears and bulls are also very big when they're good. sox, bulls, and bears have been in the postseason in the last few years so the city is goin nuts. and win or lose, cubs will always sell out

if this was the top football cities, pittsburgh #1 hands down

tony hipchest
08-13-2006, 12:45 PM
i'll make an argument for phoenix

nfl
nba
nascar
mlb
nhl
golf

great weather year round and if youre an outdoorsman theres plenty of that too. i think only chicago, detroit, and dallas have the 5 major sports along with phoenix.

Steelers
08-13-2006, 12:51 PM
Pitt BBall is sold out very often. Steelers are everyone's heart and soul. Pens won the cup only 10 or so years ago. Buccos play in the most beautiful park in baseball. NBA sucks. Oh well.

BlackNGold203
08-13-2006, 12:53 PM

3. Pirates haven't been good in a long time. They don't draw the fans like they used ot.

If this was about a city's football fan base... then yeah... We'd have to rank top 5 easily. But for sports in general... I dunno... :o\

Excellent ponts....

People are mistaking "sports" with just "football"

This really isnt THAT surprising...i think we should rank a little higher...but not all that much

83-Steelers-43
08-13-2006, 01:51 PM

Also keep in mind that PNC still packs a nice size crowd for not having a winning season for the last 15 years.

FACT: The Pirates attendance this season is better than the Yankees attendance the last time the Yanks did not make the playoffs. The playoffs!!! When was the last time we sniffed the playoffs? I'm tired of hearing how NYC, Chicago and Boston have the best baseball fans. I'd love to see the inside of Wrigley, Yankee stadium and Fenway after 15 losing seasons. Then I will actually listen to some moron in Boston or NYC talk to me about great baseball fans.

Mellon Arena brought in a nice crowd for having a hockey team that has failed the last four years and an arena that is a complete dump. I'd almost feel safer in downtown Beirut than Mellon Arena.

Overall, I think the list is complete B.S. Also, I didn't even bother mentioning the amount of people living in the cities mentioned above compared to Pittsburgh.

TheTruestBlackGoldFan
08-13-2006, 01:57 PM
Seriously leave it alone. It is Sporting News, the magazine is the size of a regular newspaper and uses one inkjet printer to run off all its magazines. Sporting News is under ESPN the magazine. Anyways it's also got somthing to do with our crappy Baseball team and the crappy but up and coming hockey team. I stll agree that 21 is far to low, I was expecting top 10.

Haiku_Dirtt
08-13-2006, 02:16 PM
It states ticket availibilty...does that mean its good if can get tickets or good if you can't get tickets. That alone would put the Steelers down low...and the Pens and Bucs.

SteelCityMan786
08-13-2006, 02:58 PM
Pittsburgh is the TOP sports city. When we like what our teams are doing we show it, if we hate what they're doing, same deal. Pittsburgh is the best sports city all time. Philly is the worst. A lot of their fans act like total asses.

HburgXL06
08-13-2006, 03:46 PM
It would seem that they classify the greatest sports cities more on the number of different sports and pro sports that are availible to be watched.

BuFu

83-Steelers-43
08-13-2006, 03:55 PM
If in fact they are going by the number of sport franchises in one city, I can see about eight teams that have less if not the same amount of sport teams in their city compared to ours.

Once again, this list is B.S.

Cleveland?

Seattle?

Raleigh?

Anaheim?

Give me a break.

Avoid Lloyd
08-13-2006, 04:57 PM
I don't understand what argument people have here. The Penguins and Pirates have been terrible for a long time and we don't even have a pro basketball team.

If this was a rating for the best football city in the country then Pittsburgh would definitely be #1. Overall however...not very close at this point.

Our fans our the best, but our teams aren't unfortunately.

HometownGal
08-13-2006, 05:19 PM

Exactly. Can't say it any better than you (and Tony) said it PisnNapalm.

Sharkissle29
08-13-2006, 05:20 PM
Also keep in mind that PNC still packs a nice size crowd for not having a winning season for the last 15 years.

FACT: The Pirates attendance this season is better than the Yankees attendance the last time the Yanks did not make the playoffs. The playoffs!!! When was the last time we sniffed the playoffs? I'm tired of hearing how NYC, Chicago and Boston have the best baseball fans. I'd love to see the inside of Wrigley, Yankee stadium and Fenway after 15 losing seasons. Then I will actually listen to some moron in Boston or NYC talk to me about great baseball fans.

Mellon Arena brought in a nice crowd for having a hockey team that has failed the last four years and an arena that is a complete dump. I'd almost feel safer in downtown Beirut than Mellon Arena.

Overall, I think the list is complete B.S. Also, I didn't even bother mentioning the amount of people living in the cities mentioned above compared to Pittsburgh.
Wrigley sells out EVERY single game, no matter what their record is

Jeremy
08-13-2006, 05:27 PM
While the Cubs do draw an impressive number of fans to watch a team which has no hope of winning, they don not sell out every game. Only the Red Sox can make that claim.

83-Steelers-43
08-13-2006, 05:49 PM
First, I find it very hard to believe that Wrigley sells out "EVERY" game.

For what it's worth: http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/attendance?sort=home_avg&year=2001&seasonType=2

Second, after 15 losing seasons I would still like to see what the inside of Wrigley would look like on the attendance front. I'm willing to bet the house that Wrigley would resemble PNC.

I'm not talking about missing the playoffs for one season and hearing the sobs and cries about a goat curse while rolling with a $94,841,167 payroll. I'm talking about having a $40,234,833 payroll and not being able to muster up a winning season in fifteen straight years.

HburgXL06
08-13-2006, 06:09 PM
I'm not talking about missing the playoffs for one season and hearing the sobs and cries about a goat curse while rolling with a $94,841,167 payroll. I'm talking about having a $40,234,833 payroll and not being able to muster up a winning season in fifteen straight years.

For those of us who aren't completely baseball literate could explain that above part for me?

BuFu

83-Steelers-43
08-13-2006, 06:13 PM
For those of us who aren't completely baseball literate could explain that above part for me?

BuFu

The goat curse you mean? If so.......http://cubscurse.knup.net/

It's the whole "feel sorry for us while we have a huge payroll" curse story that ESPN and FOX can run with......

Kind of like the Red Sox curse with Babe Ruth? Yeah, remember we had to hear that little sob story for the last 60 years? Thankfully that's over.

Sharkissle29
08-13-2006, 06:15 PM
First, I find it very hard to believe that Wrigley sells out "EVERY" game.

For what it's worth: http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/attendance?sort=home_avg&year=2001&seasonType=2

Second, after 15 losing seasons I would still like to see what the inside of Wrigley would look like on the attendance front. I'm willing to bet the house that Wrigley would resemble PNC.

well that stat pretty much proved my point...in 2001 Wrigley held about 36,000, before expanding it. and 15 losing seasons? how about not winning the world series in 98 years? i really dont care bc i hate the cubs, and am a sox/pirates/indians fan (really not a big baseball fan bc of no salary cap)..but anyways just proving that the cubs pretty much do sellout every game.....you know not all seats have to be filled for it to be included as a "sellout"

83-Steelers-43
08-13-2006, 06:18 PM
well that stat pretty much proved my point...in 2001 Wrigley held about 36,000, before expanding it. and 15 losing seasons? how about not winning the world series in 98 years? i really dont care bc i hate the cubs, and am a sox/pirates/indians fan (really not a big baseball fan bc of no salary cap)..but anyways just proving that the cubs pretty much do sellout every game.....you know not all seats have to be filled for it to be included as a "sellout"

"Pretty much" selling out every game and selling out "EVERY" game is a tad bit different, but that's cool. Like I said, I find it very hard to believe that they sell out "EVERY" game of every year anyways.

Hell, I'm willing to take 98 years of not winning a World Series in exchange for a 94 million dollar salary (at least gives you hope, hence people go to the games) while also being able to watch baseball above the little league level year in and year out. Maybe that's just me or just the Pittsburgh native frame of mind at this point with this team.

Lyn
08-13-2006, 06:50 PM
Someone doesn't know what they are saying. Detriot is also one of the bigggest sports towns around. Although I did not read the article and therefore do not know the criteria for ranking. The 4 Pro teams in Detriot are heavily attended, win, lose or tie and have been for many years.

Sharkissle29
08-13-2006, 06:56 PM
"Pretty much" selling out every game and selling out "EVERY" game is a tad bit different, but that's cool. Like I said, I find it very hard to believe that they sell out "EVERY" game of every year anyways.

Hell, I'm willing to take 98 years of not winning a World Series in exchange for a 94 million dollar salary (at least gives you hope, hence people go to the games) while also being able to watch baseball above the little league level year in and year out. Maybe that's just me or just the Pittsburgh native frame of mind at this point with this team.
i guess it just depend on your own definition of what a "sellout" really is. for me, a sellout is where you cant visibly see open seats in sections at a time. and i cant remember the last time i saw that on Wrigley....but thats just me, i dont know why we're even arguing bc i hate the cubs.

PS; we're on the topic of seats so i vent this.... at heinz i love the yellow seats, but for instance in the 2004 playoffs i believe when the patriots came in a took us, you could definitely see how many ppl gave up on the steelers with those bright yellow empty seats showing haha. other than that, the yellow, or maybe i should say gold, kick ass

hardwork
08-13-2006, 08:02 PM
There's only one sports town in the world good enough to be called professional. BOSTON. All the rest are amateurs in comparison.

tony hipchest
08-13-2006, 08:06 PM
There's only one sports town in the world good enough to be called professional. BOSTON. All the rest are amateurs in comparison.boston sucks and is full of crybabies. they shoot their fans in the eyes with rubber bullets when they celebrate. plus they dont have any good nascar, golf, or football.

just a bunch of whiny baseball fans *yawn*

hardwork
08-13-2006, 08:12 PM
boston sucks and is full of crybabies. they shoot their fans in the eyes with rubber bullets when they celebrate. plus they dont have any good nascar, golf, or football.

just a bunch of whiny baseball fans *yawn*

What a dumb sh**.

BlackNGold203
08-13-2006, 08:19 PM
What a dumb sh**.

:popcorn: :popcorn:

this should be good.......

Lyn
08-13-2006, 08:20 PM
There's only one sports town in the world good enough to be called professional. BOSTON. All the rest are amateurs in comparison.

Up until a few years ago, Boston was known as a baseball town.

BlackNGold203
08-13-2006, 08:23 PM
Up until a few years ago, Boston was known as a baseball town.

And when the Pats go 7-9 this year..it will again be a baseball town....:cool: :cool:

tony hipchest
08-13-2006, 08:24 PM
What a dumb sh**.

rubber bullets and duckboats dont make a sportstown.

get a clue dude.

i'll eagerly await the bill russell speach :sofunny:

SteelCityMan786
08-13-2006, 08:45 PM
Boston's Amateur town. the REAL SPORTS CITY is Pittsburgh. The only ones close enough is Baltimore(in baseball) Washington/Landover, and Chicago

Jeremy
08-13-2006, 09:03 PM
Boston?

The Patriots are one of the biggest bandwagon teams around right now. The Red Sox probably won't make the playoffs. The Bruins and Celtics are a shadow of what they used to be.

Boston....sure.

hardwork
08-13-2006, 09:18 PM
For Lyn and B&G 203. The other poster, hip something, is too dumb.

You have heard of the Bruins, the Celtics, and the Boston Marathon, haven't you? You do know we have 3 college hockey teams in Boston who all are regularly in the top 10 to top 15 in the country. (Boston College, Boston University, Harvard) With at least one of them often 1st or second. You do know we have one of the best professional Lacrosse teams, and that we have about 1000 high schools and a couple hundred colleges that play Lacrosse. You do know that there practically isn't a sport known to man that you can't participate in, if you're good enough, around Boston. That goes from Rugby, to Curling, to Water Polo, to regular Polo, to Sailing, to Rowing, to............ you name it. You do know there usually at least one or two figure skaters at any given olympics from the Boston area. You do know that both Rocky Marciano and Marvin Hagler, were from, and trained in, Brockton Ma., about 25 minutes out of Boston. You have heard of Ted Williams, Bobby Orr, too many Celtics to mention, Tom Brady, Tom Brady, Tom Brady, and Tom Brady, haven't you?

83-Steelers-43
08-13-2006, 09:22 PM
The Patriots are one of the biggest bandwagon teams around right now.

Shhhh.....stop with the logic...lol.

Jeremy
08-13-2006, 09:23 PM
New York City trumps Boston in every regard and I hate NYC.

hardwork
08-13-2006, 09:27 PM

The only thing NY fans are good at is throwing beer bottles at the Red Sox.

83-Steelers-43
08-13-2006, 09:28 PM

I second that. Although I love the city.

Jeremy
08-13-2006, 09:28 PM
And watching their baseball teams win World Series........

83-Steelers-43
08-13-2006, 09:30 PM
And watching their baseball teams win World Series........

And their hockey team winning Stanley Cups after the year 1972.

BBC
08-13-2006, 09:31 PM
The only thing NY fans are good at is throwing beer bottles at the Red Sox.

I'd say that's a good trait to have :hunch:

hardwork
08-13-2006, 09:43 PM
I'd say that's a good trait to have :hunch:

Your basic Steeler fan.

tony hipchest
08-13-2006, 09:56 PM

You have heard of the Bruins, the Celtics, and the Boston Marathon, haven't you? You do know we have 3 college hockey teams in Boston who all are regularly in the top 10 to top 15 in the country. (Boston College, Boston University, Harvard) With at least one of them often 1st or second. You do know we have one of the best professional Lacrosse teams, and that we have about 1000 high schools and a couple hundred colleges that play Lacrosse. You do know that there practically isn't a sport known to man that you can't participate in, if you're good enough, around Boston. That goes from Rugby, to Curling, to Water Polo, to regular Polo, to Sailing, to Rowing, to............ you name it. You do know there usually at least one or two figure skaters at any given olympics from the Boston area. You do know that both Rocky Marciano and Marvin Hagler, were from, and trained in, Brockton Ma., about 25 minutes out of Boston. You have heard of Ted Williams, Bobby Orr, too many Celtics to mention, Tom Brady, Tom Brady, Tom Brady, and Tom Brady, haven't you?

:toofunny:

boston marathon? lacrosse has pro teams? curling? chess? high school hockey?

the international chutes 'n' ladder competition? "candyland" tournament? lemme guess... the "cornhole toss off" is also held in boston. international darts competition? :rolleyes:

with all those great highschool franchises you would think the nfl hall of fame would be comprised of more bostonians than those from pittsburgh. :cool:

honus wagner, josh gibson, roberto clemente, willie stargel will tell you about pittsburgh baseball and im sure ulf samuelson can remind you about pgh hockey. take your bird and russell and remember that dr. j was the fish that saved pittsburgh.

tony hipchest
08-13-2006, 10:00 PM
lemme guess. kobayashi the hot dog eating champ is from boston :sofunny:

isnt barbaro from boston?

Jeremy
08-13-2006, 10:23 PM
Your basic Steeler fan.

882 posts and that's the best you could come up with?

tony hipchest
08-13-2006, 10:32 PM
the "fart in your hand, and hold it up to your friends face" competition was invented in boston.

what a great sportstown

bratsinmybelly
08-13-2006, 10:35 PM
the "fart in your hand, and hold it up to your friends face" competition was invented in boston.

what a great sportstown

:sofunny: :sofunny: :sofunny: :sofunny: :stirthepot:

Sharkissle29
08-13-2006, 10:43 PM

enough of this ***** shit stuff you call sports....we're talking real sports

tony hipchest
08-13-2006, 10:51 PM
pittsburgh has produced more putt-putt champions :rolleyes: and i dont recall boston ever hosting the bass masters. the "booger rolling into a ball" competition is out of this world.

Sharkissle29
08-13-2006, 10:53 PM
^^see thats the real sports im talkin about.....lololol

HburgXL06
08-13-2006, 11:46 PM
You do know there usually at least one or two figure skaters at any given olympics from the Boston area.

Sara hughes may be from Boston but she was never actually in the same league with Michelle Kwan. Emily Hughes isn't even as good as her sister and mostly gets by on her sister's name. The Boston Figure Skating Club does put out a few decent skaters but they can't compare with the University of Delaware Figure Skating Club. After all, we regularly send a group of around 30 to Nationals and Kimmie Meissner just got 6th at the Olympics at only 16 and is already the Champion of the World in Figure Skating.

As for the rest of the sports you mention....

Baseball: Stop b*tchin about the Yankees salary when yours is just as bad.

Hockey: And the Bruins were last good when?

Basketball: read above

Football: it's the NEW ENGLAND patriots not just Boston so that can't count, besides the pats don't even play in Boston.

Lacrosse: Who gives a damn?

College: When you have students from all over the map that isn't credit to the city but to the students.

Next time stop bein such an instigator and pull that salt block out of your ass!

BuFu

hardwork
08-13-2006, 11:56 PM
......College: When you have students from all over the map that isn't credit to the city but to the students.

BuFu

What, do you think all the Steelers grew up in Pittsburgh? Lol, what's wrong with these fans?

tony hipchest
08-14-2006, 12:03 AM
What, do you think all the Steelers grew up in Pittsburgh? Lol, what's wrong with these fans?whats this have to do with steelers? if you want to talk about football we can count those in the hall of fame from pittsburgh, or those in the hall of fame who have played in pittsburgh. either way pittsburgh clearly kicks bostons ass as far as a football town, (or baseball or hockey for that matter) is concerned. keep your marathon and basketball. if pittsburgh had the nba im sure they would kick bostons ass in that too.

bratsinmybelly
08-14-2006, 12:09 AM
What, do you think all the Steelers grew up in Pittsburgh? Lol, what's wrong with these fans?

If Boston has such great fans, why the hell are you spending so much time on our site? Isn't there some shitty Boston site where you can all get together and talk about Tom Brady's dimples?

HburgXL06
08-14-2006, 12:57 AM

You don't gauge the greatness of a sports town by the players but more by the support the fans give those teams. If you want to talk loyalty and heart.....Pittsburgh's got it.

BuFu

Edit: I should say it's good to see you laughin hardwork. Nice to see you lighthearted. I mean that.

Sharkissle29
08-14-2006, 01:06 AM
ok hardwork you win, you're team does put on a great show

http://timekills.org/gallery/albums/Bills/GayBrady.jpg

HometownGal
08-14-2006, 08:27 AM

what a great sportstown

You've got to get the pronunciation down right, Tony. It's not fart, it's "faaaaaaaaat". :smile:

Hmmm....must be the same beantown schmucks who came up with the blow a gasser and throw the covers over your wife's head maneuver. :mad:

I do believe this little contraption was invented in the town of Boston...

http://www.parm.net/b3ta/bandwagon.jpg

hardwork
08-14-2006, 11:24 AM
You don't gauge the greatness of a sports town by the players but more by the support the fans give those teams. If you want to talk loyalty and heart.....Pittsburgh's got it.

BuFu

Edit: I should say it's good to see you laughin hardwork. Nice to see you lighthearted. I mean that.

Well, BuFu, its a lighthearted subject.

Pretty hard to beat Boston in terms of number of different sporting events going on around and about. We have a college on every corner. Then there's Fenway Park which is world famous. Then, if you want to talk history, the Celtics are one of the 3 greatest sports franchises of all time along with the Yankees, and the Canadians. The Boston Marathon is the historic marathon in this country. I don't see how they can rank cities like Dallas, or Miami, above us.

Sharkissle29
08-14-2006, 11:52 AM
Well, BuFu, its a lighthearted subject.

Pretty hard to beat Boston in terms of number of different sporting events going on around and about. We have a college on every corner. Then there's Fenway Park which is world famous. Then, if you want to talk history, the Celtics are one of the 3 greatest sports franchises of all time along with the Yankees, and the Canadians. The Boston Marathon is the historic marathon in this country. I don't see how they can rank cities like Dallas, or Miami, above us.
Bulls franchise > celtics franchise

forget something?

X-Terminator
08-14-2006, 12:29 PM
I'd dispute that - I believe the Celtics won 8 titles in the 1960s and have won more than any other NBA team. So I'd have to give them the nod.