PDA

View Full Version : Any updates on Sean Spence?

RuHappy69
12-16-2012, 06:00 PM
How is he doing in his rehab? I def see him replacing Foote next year

Rotorhead
12-16-2012, 06:56 PM
Why, Foote actually showed up today.

RuHappy69
12-16-2012, 08:03 PM
Foote is old and slow and not the answer. Everyone knows that. Watch him in coverage. Pathetic.

uclkyle
12-16-2012, 11:32 PM
The only time I noticed Foote today was when he got ran over and carried for 8 yards by D. Murray.

TRH
12-16-2012, 11:39 PM
The only time I noticed Foote today was when he got ran over and carried for 8 yards by D. Murray.

+ 1.

Foote got bulldozed almost 10 yards. It was embarrssing. I'll give Foote "great effort" though for his play. But the sad fact is that he is a bit slow, the youth a bit gone. It's not going to cut it. He'll definitely be gone at the end of the year.

GoFor7
12-17-2012, 12:09 AM
Keep one thing in mind: in 2010 James Farrior played well. Came back in 2011 and clearly wasn't the same. It's better to let someone go one year too early than one year too late. Then again, maybe they'll have no choice but to keep him.

JVip
12-17-2012, 12:17 AM
Almost have to keep Foote around for depth, I hope Spence is more than a camp phenom.

SteelersCanada
12-17-2012, 12:17 AM
How many times did Foote have a clear shot on Romo and he eluded him easily and Foote, due to his age and lack of quickness, wasn't able to recover? On the flip side, Timmons had one clear shot on Romo and, unsurprisingly, sat his ass down. I've said it on here before but it's relevant again - Timmons makes Foote look much better than he's actually playing. If you give Timmons a legitimate ILB to play with that's fast enough to cover and quick enough to make plays, this allows Timmons to blitz and get to the quarterback. Sadly, Foote isn't capable of doing either of those things and they've had to switch roles.

As for any news on Spence, I unfortunately haven't seen any. I'd like news one way or the other and it doesn't necessarily have to be anything definitive, just updates.

Fire Arians
12-17-2012, 01:00 AM

correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't that stiff arm illegsl if he grabbed and held he face mask? looked obvious to me

kent
12-17-2012, 01:03 AM
How many times did Foote have a clear shot on Romo and he eluded him easily and Foote, due to his age and lack of quickness, wasn't able to recover? On the flip side, Timmons had one clear shot on Romo and, unsurprisingly, sat his ass down. I've said it on here before but it's relevant again - Timmons makes Foote look much better than he's actually playing. If you give Timmons a legitimate ILB to play with that's fast enough to cover and quick enough to make plays, this allows Timmons to blitz and get to the quarterback. Sadly, Foote isn't capable of doing either of those things and they've had to switch roles.

As for any news on Spence, I unfortunately haven't seen any. I'd like news one way or the other and it doesn't necessarily have to be anything definitive, just updates.

Sounds like you played a little LB in your day.

teegre
12-17-2012, 01:04 AM
correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't that stiff arm illegsl if he grabbed and held he face mask? looked obvious to me

Not at all. Ball carriers can do that... they are the only ones who can.

Fire Arians
12-17-2012, 01:05 AM
weird I got flagged for a face mask in HS once doing the same thing as a wr once

teegre
12-17-2012, 01:10 AM
weird I got flagged for a face mask in HS once doing the same thing as a wr once

The ref was paid off. :wink02:

Fire Arians
12-17-2012, 01:16 AM
The ref was paid off. :wink02:

could be just different rules I guess, there's some rules in the hs leagues that are way different especially overtime. ah well

teegre
12-17-2012, 01:19 AM
could be just different rules I guess, there's some rules in the hs leagues that are way different especially overtime. ah well

They try to keep the younger players safer... so, my guess is that, in high school, ANY touching of the facemask is prohibited.

Fire Arians
12-17-2012, 01:28 AM
They try to keep the younger players safer... so, my guess is that, in high school, ANY touching of the facemask is prohibited.

when I played stiff arms were totally legal but you weren't allowed to grab and hold the face mask (just like defenders can't)

in that particular play I grsbbed the defenders mask and threw him down, guess that could have been s player safety issue

lloydwoodson
12-18-2012, 11:13 PM
Criticism of Foote is unfair. His weakness is openfield tackling and coverage. He has done a great job this year. Foote is an intelligent player who gets to the ball. On the D Murray run he got blocked backwards by Witten and this forced his center of gravity to be too high. Shit happens.

IowaSteeler927
12-19-2012, 04:46 AM

Yeah Murray definitely had his hands inside Foote's facemask. It was blatant and should of easily been seen by the officials on the field. I was screaming at the TV after that one. Pretty sure a facemask is a facemask.

lardlad
12-19-2012, 05:04 AM
Yeah Murray definitely had his hands inside Foote's facemask. It was blatant and should of easily been seen by the officials on the field. I was screaming at the TV after that one. Pretty sure a facemask is a facemask.

At least hands to the face no?

VaDave
12-19-2012, 06:18 AM
If you recall, Ward had a pretty good handful of facemask in the AFCCG vs Indianapolis that went un called. When the DB grabed Ward's on the same play, he drew a flag...... It is very rare that this is called on an offensive player in the NFL.

As for Spence, unless we can get our DL to control their gaps, something glaringly apparent we lack the skills to do lately, unfortunately, Spence is going to be trucked by Olineman on a regular basis.

RE: Foote missing Romo in the back field

Romo makes a lot of guy miss and may be the hardest QB in the NFL to bring down in the pocket next to Ben. Eli Manning isn't any too shabby at this either.

IowaSteeler927
12-19-2012, 06:58 AM
At least hands to the face no?

Could've called that as well, I think. Don't quote me on it.

El-Gonzo Jackson
12-19-2012, 07:49 PM
Funny how that around week 8 or 9 everybody was on Foote's jock for being "the leading tackler on the #1 defense in the NFL.............now they think he is playing below average.

Fact is, that he was always getting pushed around and avoiding taking on blockers in the run game, while being OK in zone pass coverage. Watch the games, not just the stat sheet and you will see we really need Spence to take the starting job next season.

Rotorhead
12-19-2012, 08:12 PM
I certainly agree that Spence would be a great asset, especially in coverage, but saying Foote is pathetic is just wrong, he always plays 100% and improves our def (unless he is covering a good TE). He is just not built for todays needs of coverage like Spence would be and Timmons are. Foote is a solid tackler and good run stuffer which is what we needed in the past.

cubanstogie
12-19-2012, 08:54 PM
Funny how that around week 8 or 9 everybody was on Foote's jock for being "the leading tackler on the #1 defense in the NFL.............now they think he is playing below average.

Fact is, that he was always getting pushed around and avoiding taking on blockers in the run game, while being OK in zone pass coverage. Watch the games, not just the stat sheet and you will see we really need Spence to take the starting job next season.

At least Foote as old as he is makes it onto the playing field every week. Foote is literally on his last leg though. Problem is, we don't have anyone better.

Riddle_Of_Steel
12-20-2012, 02:25 PM
Criticism of Foote is unfair. His weakness is openfield tackling and coverage. He has done a great job this year. Foote is an intelligent player who gets to the ball. On the D Murray run he got blocked backwards by Witten and this forced his center of gravity to be too high. Shit happens.

^^^^ This.

I started a thread on this before-- I cannot understand why Foote has never cozied up with the Steelers fanbase. He has never gotten the respect he is due around here.

He has only been a solid ILB for the league's best defense the last 10 years and helped us to get to and win 2 Superbowls.

He is still our best run-stuffer, our of the many LBers on our roster. Timmons is great in coverage, and has stepped up his game this year, but he used to get bulldozed like that routinely.

Foote also had to take over Potsie's playcalling duties-- which is HUGE. And we are still the #1 defense by a margin.

mikegrimey
12-20-2012, 05:21 PM
At least Foote as old as he is makes it onto the playing field every week. Foote is literally on his last leg though. Problem is, we don't have anyone better.

Foote is LITERALLY on his last leg? I didn't know he lost a limb... Makes his efforts on the field all that more meaningful, how can the steelers fans here so callously chastise a one legged linebacker?

Fire Arians
12-21-2012, 12:47 AM
http://www.steelersdepot.com/2012/12/cowboys-lb-demarcus-ware-rb-demarco-murray-both-fined-for-infractions-against-steelers/

2 cowboys fined for actions on sunday's game. demarcus ware for his blow to the head on roethlisberger which looked 100% intentional (he clenched the fist half a second before impact, dirty play).

murray actually got fined for his stiff arm and grabbing the mask, i knew that shit had to be illegal. or is it something that the refs won't call but goodell will still assess fines in the name of player safety?

steeltheone
12-21-2012, 05:33 AM
^^^^ This.

I started a thread on this before-- I cannot understand why Foote has never cozied up with the Steelers fanbase. He has never gotten the respect he is due around here.

He has only been a solid ILB for the league's best defense the last 10 years and helped us to get to and win 2 Superbowls.

He is still our best run-stuffer, our of the many LBers on our roster. Timmons is great in coverage, and has stepped up his game this year, but he used to get bulldozed like that routinely.

Foote also had to take over Potsie's playcalling duties-- which is HUGE. And we are still the #1 defense by a margin. I believe Foote has never gotten respect because he was the weakest link in a very good defense. He has always been a lunch pail carrying, show up everyday, give 100% type of player, but he is not a pro bowler and has weaknesses that can be seen by the average fan.

The Foote type of player is valuable on any NFL roster. you can't win without that type of player!

VaDave
12-21-2012, 07:54 AM
http://www.steelersdepot.com/2012/12/cowboys-lb-demarcus-ware-rb-demarco-murray-both-fined-for-infractions-against-steelers/

2 cowboys fined for actions on sunday's game. demarcus ware for his blow to the head on roethlisberger which looked 100% intentional (he clenched the fist half a second before impact, dirty play).

murray actually got fined for his stiff arm and grabbing the mask, i knew that shit had to be illegal. or is it something that the refs won't call but goodell will still assess fines in the name of player safety?

So there is some justice @ NFL Headquarters after all....

Rotorhead
12-21-2012, 09:40 AM
Is justice after the fact really justice, i would rather have the penalty flag on game day then a fine after the fact. The flag negates a first down, the fine does nothing.

VaDave
12-21-2012, 10:07 AM
I dunno Rotorhead... I can't ever recall a ball carrier in the NFL ever get flagged for this.

Fire Arians
12-21-2012, 10:37 AM
I dunno Rotorhead... I can't ever recall a ball carrier in the NFL ever get flagged for this.

marion barber im sure has

Dalarin
12-21-2012, 11:12 AM
Not at all. Ball carriers can do that... they are the only ones who can.

Ball carriers can't grasp but that's one of those "we can call it if we don't like the direction of the game" rules.

Riddle_Of_Steel
12-21-2012, 12:37 PM
I believe Foote has never gotten respect because he was the weakest link in a very good defense. He has always been a lunch pail carrying, show up everyday, give 100% type of player, but he is not a pro bowler and has weaknesses that can be seen by the average fan.

The Foote type of player is valuable on any NFL roster. you can't win without that type of player!

I am not so sure about him being any weak link in our defense-- that has been our CBs for a decade or more now.

For as long as I have been watching the guy, in my 15 or so years of serious football watching as an 'average fan", I am not seeing any glaring weaknesses that the other three guys who made up our LB corps had.

He is a bit slow in coverage, but then again, so was Clark Haggans, so is Woodley, so is Harrison for that matter.

Timmons is faster in coverage, but is hot and cold in run support. Foote has been stuffing opposing ballcarriers behind the LoS for our defense for years now.

Riddle_Of_Steel
12-21-2012, 12:37 PM
So....any updates on Sean Spence?

steeltheone
12-21-2012, 09:21 PM
I am not so sure about him being any weak link in our defense-- that has been our CBs for a decade or more now.

For as long as I have been watching the guy, in my 15 or so years of serious football watching as an 'average fan", I am not seeing any glaring weaknesses that the other three guys who made up our LB corps had.

He is a bit slow in coverage, but then again, so was Clark Haggans, so is Woodley, so is Harrison for that matter.

Timmons is faster in coverage, but is hot and cold in run support. Foote has been stuffing opposing ballcarriers behind the LoS for our defense for years now.

I meant the weak link in the defense a few years back when we were loaded with play makers.

I don't think that could be said now.

Steeldude
12-23-2012, 01:13 AM

Exactly.

Steeldude
12-23-2012, 01:17 AM
Foote has been stuffing opposing ballcarriers behind the LoS for our defense for years now.

Are there two players on the Steelers named Foote? The Foote I have watched for years gets pushed back too often by ball carriers. He also takes bad angles and has a habit of waiting for the ball carrier to come to him rather than attacking. The only thing worse is his pass coverage. The guy is basically a backup. Unfortunately, the Steelers will probably re-sign him and start him again, depending on Spence's knee.

El-Gonzo Jackson
12-23-2012, 07:55 AM
Are there two players on the Steelers named Foote? The Foote I have watched for years gets pushed back too often by ball carriers. He also takes bad angles and has a habit of waiting for the ball carrier to come to him rather than attacking. The only thing worse is his pass coverage. The guy is basically a backup. Unfortunately, the Steelers will probably re-sign him and start him again, depending on Spence's knee.

I remember Foote playing well as the "other " ILB back in the middle of last decade.

I dont remember Foote "stuffing players behind the LOS" for years. 2008 seems to be the first year Tackle for Loss stat was kept in the NFL and Foote had 3 (2 of them were sacks). In the last 5 seasons in the NFL, Larry Foote has had 22 tackles for loss, with 12 of them being sacks.

So over the past 5 seasons, Foote averages 2 tackles per season behind the line of scrimmage.................simply outstanding. :rolleyes: