PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone recall a Steeler team this bad at tackling?

maddog78
12-16-2012, 09:32 PM
Defense and special teams. This team is just plain soft. That comes from the top.

casteeler
12-16-2012, 09:38 PM
The Defense is bad at everything. Under Tomlin I don't think it will get much better

GoFor7
12-16-2012, 09:42 PM
I've been noticing that instead of wrapping up, guys are just launching themselves into other players. They either bounce right off, or they wiff. I wonder if they get so enamored with hitting hard they forget fundamental football. Hell, Troy has injured himself tackling like that.

plenewken
12-16-2012, 09:43 PM
Tacking was awful. Some players have definitely nothing to do in a Steelers jersey. Victorian for example.

Steel_Bus_24
12-16-2012, 09:44 PM
Lack of Practices/hitting in Practice under the new CBA has hurt this team big time

ZoneBlitzer
12-16-2012, 09:46 PM
Troy and 35 were horrible today.

tanda10506
The Defense is bad at everything. Under Tomlin I don't think it will get much better

This^. There is no more Steeler heart. That went out with Cowher and Porter. In 2008 the team was so good that they got pumped up and played with heart on their own, these new guys are just football players. They don't seem to bleed black and gold like the teams did in the Cowher era. Now that more vets have retired and the ones that are playing have really dropped off, there is no more "Steeler mentality". ST is worse then the defense though. The defense played really well vs BAL twice and vs the Giants and Bengals, there's just too many injuries in the secondary now to even be a decent pass defending team. If our CB's get back then LeBeau will have the defense playing like it did a few weeks ago, but I think we need a new HC soon. I'm sure some on here disagree, but we are out-coached often and Tomlin does not light a fire under this team.

MillerMania83
NO...Tackling on this team is PISS POOR and just all around BAD...This is the NFL, you are a prof, there is NO EXCUSE for this BAD tackling game after game, NO EXCUSE.

steelersfan299
I hope Dick LeBeau dosen't retire after this season because we need some help on defense for next year.

GoFor7
Lack of Practices/hitting in Practice under the new CBA has hurt this team big time

That excuse is becoming sort of lame. Other teams have to adhear to the same rules, and not all of them are as bad at tackling.

ChristianKustomz
12-16-2012, 09:48 PM
They call them special teams for a reason and our team redefines special this year.

Fire Arians
12-16-2012, 09:49 PM
that #17 from dallas was quick

Drizztbob
12-16-2012, 09:49 PM
The problem starts with our veterans on the field. This is how Clark and Troy have ALWAYS tackled and until recently, it has been effective because they are/were good at it and accurate. Now the younger guys come in, watch them and think they can duplicate that success, but instead it is poorly executed and they look like Pop Warner kids bouncing off the huge growth spurt kid.

eafratitpm3
12-16-2012, 09:50 PM
This team is BAD at everything. How can you just say tackling? Can you tell me any part of this team that is good because I haven't seen it yet.

ChristianKustomz
12-16-2012, 09:53 PM
Right? How the hell can 5+ more people miss tackles?

That was the worst display of football tackling I have ever seen! It was Dallas for Gods sake! Not one of our guys could make a tackle? Really?

Steel_Bus_24
12-16-2012, 09:54 PM
I think the tackling around the league has definitely dropped off.......

The new rules are doing an effective job at changing the game
Defense is now built around sacking and creating Turnovers.......more then ever.....I see a lot of Fantasy League Stat building between the 20s

Fire Arians
12-16-2012, 09:55 PM
I think the tackling around the league has definitely dropped off.......

The new rules are doing an effective job at changing the game
Defense is now built around sacking and creating Turnovers.......more then ever.....I see a lot of Fantasy League Stat building between the 20s

this. not just the steelers but defenses in general

defenses are less aggressive when they always think in the back of their mind that they're gonna get fined for hitting someone too hard

casteeler
12-16-2012, 10:02 PM
In order to play LeBeau defense the Steelers need great cover/Tackle CBs because the safeties play up or blitz often, the Steelers don't have good CBs with their starters. If the Steelers want to get back to that style of defense multiple things have to happen

1.Troy retires and the team drafts a proper replacement
2. Clark still has some time and wisdom (keep Clark)
3. Draft or trade for CBs that can cover and tackle "on an island"

defence
12-16-2012, 10:02 PM
I don't know if we can throw the whole team under the bus. Football is a team game. But i cannot strees enough that even though our d gave up alot of yards in the first half; our offence was not able to get any first downs at the beginning of the game leaving our d on the field way too long. Giving dallas momentum. We had three chances to close off this game and the offence shit there pants. To me ; that's where there problem is. I give the d credit for having to play corner with a guy who was probably selling cars last week. We lost this game with our offence and the coaches. Too many this year have come on Tomlin and his coaching staff. Hopefully the Rooneys are watching; because we are as fans.

Terminator
12-16-2012, 10:03 PM
I don't know if we can throw the whole team under the bus. Football is a team game. But i cannot strees enough that even though our d gave up alot of yards in the first half; our offence was not able to get any first downs at the beginning of the game leaving our d on the field way too long. Giving dallas momentum. We had three chances to close off this game and the offence shit there pants. To me ; that's where there problem is. I give the d credit for having to play corner with a guy who was probably selling cars last week. We lost this game with our offence and the coaches. Too many this year have come on Tomlin and his coaching staff. Hopefully the Rooneys are watching; because we are as fans.

Rooney just stepped down as Ambassador to Ireland and said he wants to take a more active role with the Steelers again. I hope this means firing Tomlin's ass.

maddog78
12-16-2012, 10:05 PM
This team is BAD at everything. How can you just say tackling? Can you tell me any part of this team that is good because I haven't seen it yet.

One thread at a time.

:hatsoff:

casteeler
12-16-2012, 10:13 PM
Rooney just stepped down as Ambassador to Ireland and said he wants to take a more active role with the Steelers again. I hope this means firing Tomlin's ass.

That's great news. The coaching staff(Tomlin included) are failing at their jobs.Something has to be done and if that means firing guys then so be it.

defence
12-16-2012, 10:13 PM

I really hope so too. Believe me; I'm not talking with emotions but with reality. This guy has been horrible all year. It's obvious his players are not ready to play week in week out. And the hiring of Haley has been a disaster. I hated Ariens but I can't believe what I'm about to say; i think Haley is worse. This offence is as shit as I've seen. Heck the Browns look more dangerous than the Steelers. With the people we have on offence; that's a joke. I don't care if we win the next 2 games or not; If i were Rooney; Tomlin would be gone!!

TRH
12-16-2012, 10:23 PM
the tackling start off good this year. We were "tackling" extremely well - HOWEVER, we weren't (and still are not) producing turnovers, clawing at the ball, etc.

This trend has worsened in the last few games though, as not only are we STILL not producing turnovers - but now we're starting to tackle very poorly as well. Not good.

Darkstorm05
12-16-2012, 10:35 PM
The problem starts with our veterans on the field. This is how Clark and Troy have ALWAYS tackled and until recently, it has been effective because they are/were good at it and accurate. Now the younger guys come in, watch them and think they can duplicate that success, but instead it is poorly executed and they look like Pop Warner kids bouncing off the huge growth spurt kid.

I kind of wish it weren't so, but this may be accurate. IMO, everyone in the secondary but Clark should have their "Big Hit" license revoked. It's silly to see professional NFL athletes running with a full head of steam and launching themselves, only to either hit a guy and have zero effect, or miss by a 2 foot margin and fly off the field.

Troy doesn't get a pass on that. He was diving today and missed a couple big shots that really gouged us. I'm sure a lot of people will rage at me for this, but does Troy even know how to play Safety? When they kept the leash on him to help our clusterfuck noob corners cope with getting smoked back there, sometimes it looked like he didn't know what to do with himself. There was one play where a guy fell down and slid and went by troy, who looked like he had just been standing there gawking.

OliverPoop
12-16-2012, 11:03 PM
That's great news. The coaching staff(Tomlin included) are failing at their jobs.Something has to be done and if that means firing guys then so be it.

You really think Dan Rooney is going to fire the man who he championed to get the job years ago? Get a clue. We are stuck with Tomlin for at least three more years.

fansince'76
12-16-2012, 11:40 PM
You really think Dan Rooney is going to fire the man who he championed to get the job years ago? Get a clue. We are stuck with Tomlin for at least three more years.

:rolleyes:

Yeah, well, it might actually help the "cause" if he posted, you know, a losing season, which he still has yet to do.

GoFor7
12-17-2012, 12:19 AM

I doubt he'd fire Tomlin, but I would like to see him haul ass and put some humility in this team. Also, I wouldn't mind seeing him make Art go stand in a corner.

CanuckCurtain
12-17-2012, 12:24 AM
:rofl:I doubt he'd fire Tomlin, but I would like to see him haul ass and put some humility in this team. Also, I wouldn't mind seeing him make Art go stand in a corner.

fansince'76
12-17-2012, 12:27 AM

Seeing as how he didn't fire Cowher's ass when he turned in 3 LOSING records and 4 non-playoff seasons in a six-year stretch from 1998-2003, doubtful.

Thankfully, the Rooneys, unlike the fanbase, don't knee-jerk and overreact.

uclkyle
12-17-2012, 12:28 AM
This team is so bad at so many things, I didn't notice the tackling.

GoFor7
12-17-2012, 12:30 AM
Seeing as how he didn't fire Cowher's ass when he turned in 3 LOSING records and 4 non-playoff seasons in a six-year stretch from 1998-2003, doubtful.

Art does!

Note: I don't hate the Rooneys, I just think Art is the rotten apple in the family tree.

Hawaii 5-0
12-17-2012, 01:01 AM
Art does!

Note: I don't hate the Rooneys, I just think Art is the rotten apple in the family tree.

yeah, Art is just a two-bit lawyer who only got into this position of power because of who his Daddy is, huh?

GoFor7
12-17-2012, 01:06 AM
yeah, Art is just a two-bit lawyer who only got into this position of power because of who his Daddy is, huh?

Pretty much. Honestly I would've thought Pittsburgh would be a little more wary of Art. Many Pittsburghers take pride in the city being hard-nosed and hard-working, and here you have a guy who was privileged all his life and got the team because of daddy. I guess because of his last name he must be a football genius and should never be questioned.

teegre
12-17-2012, 02:15 AM
The NFL as a whole is horrible at tackling.

Everyone wants that SprtsCenter HIT... but, no one tackles.

It is akin to the dunk in the NBA. Everyone wants the slam dunk; no one can hit a mid-range jump shot.

Tackling wins championships... and so does any NBA team that can take advantage of the 15-20 foot area of the court.

FanSince72
12-17-2012, 01:45 PM

It won't get any better under LeBeau either.

stiller39
12-17-2012, 01:54 PM
If these young guys were watching how Polamalu tackles they will have short careers... # 43 needs to get back to basic wrap up tackling instead of the flying kamikaze technique that makes all the highlight reels.... just saying

FanSince72
12-17-2012, 02:09 PM
The NFL as a whole is horrible at tackling.

Everyone wants that SprtsCenter HIT... but, no one tackles.

It is akin to the dunk in the NBA. Everyone wants the slam dunk; no one can hit a mid-range jump shot.

Tackling wins championships... and so does any NBA team that can take advantage of the 15-20 foot area of the court.

Maybe so, but when a defense (such as ours) has an opponent in First (or Second and even Third) -and-a-Zip-Code as many times as we did and somehow allows that opponent to manage a First Down, there's a lot more going on than just bad tackling.

sloppyjoe
12-17-2012, 05:07 PM

our opponents have the same practice rules as us

Danny136200
12-17-2012, 05:42 PM
Missed tackles were problematic yesterday, but I really did not see any problems with our tackling in games past.

Since Ike has gotten injured, out secondary has become unglued. But the players that were playing on sunday are only a temporary fix, we will get our regulars back, we will be fine.

Danny136200
12-17-2012, 05:44 PM

This is just a typical emotional overreaction. Exactly how was Sunday's loss Tomlin's fault?

WVABE
12-17-2012, 05:47 PM
I normally don't laugh at one of our guys, but when Murray (or whatever his name is, Dallas RB) ran over Victoria, I laughed and thought, now that's a running back.
I hope Mr. Rooney see's what the fans are seeing too, cause it aint pretty.

GoFor7
12-17-2012, 05:49 PM
I normally don't laugh at one of our guys, but when Murray (or whatever his name is, Dallas RB) ran over Victoria, I laughed and thought, now that's a running back.
I hope Mr. Rooney see's what the fans are seeing too, cause it aint pretty.

The front office has gotten more and more fucked up since Dan left. Hopefully that'll change over the course of the next few months with him coming back as chairman.

cowherpower
12-17-2012, 06:39 PM
If these young guys were watching how Polamalu tackles they will have short careers... # 43 needs to get back to basic wrap up tackling instead of the flying kamikaze technique that makes all the highlight reels.... just saying

For awhile, maybe a few years now, whether due to injury or age, Troy is average at best. He is actually a liability now. I know...blasphemy! But watching him stroll around out there, playing way off his man, taking poor angles and bad tackling one can almost forget he used to be one of the best in the game. It's yet another position that needs to be addressed on top of LT, CB, RB, OLB, NT. Things are not looking good on the defensive side of the ball as we have failed to really draft a stud since...hmm...when was the last great D player we drafted. Timmons? Woodley? Damn!

Danny136200
12-17-2012, 08:26 PM
For awhile, maybe a few years now, whether due to injury or age, Troy is average at best. He is actually a liability now. I know...blasphemy! But watching him stroll around out there, playing way off his man, taking poor angles and bad tackling one can almost forget he used to be one of the best in the game. It's yet another position that needs to be addressed on top of LT, CB, RB, OLB, NT. Things are not looking good on the defensive side of the ball as we have failed to really draft a stud since...hmm...when was the last great D player we drafted. Timmons? Woodley? Damn!

Timmons has been the best player on defense this whole year, but Woodley, I do not know what has happened to him this year, but he has not stepped up when needed.

jiminpa
12-17-2012, 08:28 PM
They call them special teams for a reason and our team redefines special this year.Been like this for the last six years. The only difference is we have guys who can return the ball when they don't get called back because some interchangable practice squad scrub realized that the only way his number would ever be heard in an NFL stadium was if a referee called it.

Atlanta Dan
12-17-2012, 08:29 PM
But the players that were playing on sunday are only a temporary fix, we will get our regulars back, we will be fine.

A comforting thought for the 2013 season

VictoryFormation
12-18-2012, 11:45 PM
Does anyone recall a Steeler team this bad at tackling?
Ahh... Back in the 60's they had a coach named Bill Austin... but No, that was before my time.

IowaSteeler927
12-19-2012, 05:44 AM
Troy used to be able to get away with the jumping around stuff because he could make the play. He's lost a step and needs to instead rely on his knowledge of the game and return to playing strong, fundamentally sound football.

EbonySteel86
12-19-2012, 06:32 AM
We don't have any "DOGS" on D, anymore! The days on J Pezzy are gone. Not many playmakers on D, besides Timmons.

VaDave
12-19-2012, 07:31 AM
Woodley is a load and always has been. Check out his career stats. The only thing that kept him around all these years was that one sack every other game he's played. That said, most of the other 400 and some odd plays a year, he does didly squat.

RE: Palamalu

During Troy's second year I posted on a fan site that Troy should learn how to make a form tackle and was laughed off the board.....

That said, he's been a great player for a long time. This season, Troy is giving a ton of deep help, and has not been as visable.

Rowland2110
12-19-2012, 11:35 AM

I dont recall a Cowher team EVER being this bad on a consistent basis. Sure he has some terrible games and some average seasons all coaches do. But this season is absolutely unacceptable. Itis the WAY THEY ARE LOSING GAMES that makes it so bad.

I dont expect tomlin to be fired this year after an extension but if next season is a repeat of this, you had better believe Tomlins ass will be on the line in 2014.

cowherpower
12-20-2012, 09:16 PM
I dont recall a Cowher team EVER being this bad on a consistent basis. Sure he has some terrible games and some average seasons all coaches do. But this season is absolutely unacceptable. Itis the WAY THEY ARE LOSING GAMES that makes it so bad.

I dont expect tomlin to be fired this year after an extension but if next season is a repeat of this, you had better believe Tomlins ass will be on the line in 2014.

I am no Tomlin fan whatsoever but wasting an otherwise SB caliber team by starting Kordell for so long still eats at me. Also, several times he stuck with veterans one year too long when their better replacements were ready to take over. But, unlike Tomlin, at least he drafted enough good players for that to be a problem. There is NOBODY behind Troy, Ike, ANY of our bad linemen, Ben, Mendenhall or Heath. That is a lot of positions where they have failed to draft and develop replacements. It is unacceptable.