PDA

View Full Version : Arizona Might be Interested in Todd Haley

GoFor7
12-16-2012, 10:36 PM
From Steelers' Depot:

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2012/12/report-cardinals-might-be-interested-in-todd-haley-if-they-fire-ken-whisenhunt/

Thoughts?

plenewken
12-16-2012, 10:38 PM
They can have him and they can take Tomlin too if they want.

Darkstorm05
12-16-2012, 10:38 PM
GML, not again! Ben actually barely got drilled back there this season, and Heath is lighting it up in this new offense. If we could just stop dropping and fumbling the ball, we'd have a monster offense.

OX1947
12-16-2012, 11:01 PM
I think it would be a mistake to fire Whiz. Whiz's qb situation the last 2 years has been worse I have seen in a long time in the NFL. Whiz is a good coach, he needs a QB.

Millers the sh!t
12-16-2012, 11:03 PM
Yep, if Tomlin can learn to teach these young boys ball security, we'd be good enough on offense to be competitive. All of these losses to sub par teams fall on Tomlins shoulders. He never did and still don't know how to prepare our team for games. Start from the beginning.... Fundamentals Tomlin....fundamentals...

MACH1
12-16-2012, 11:17 PM
I hear Norv's going to be available. Maybe he can whip these obese players into shape.

Hawaii 5-0
12-16-2012, 11:25 PM
I hear Norv's going to be available. Maybe he can whip these obese players into shape.

and turn them into BEASTS! :thumbsup:

GoFor7
12-17-2012, 12:07 AM
I wonder if the Steelers would promote Kirby Wilson to OC. Rumor is that's what they were going to do before he suffered those burns to his body.

nikstar
12-17-2012, 12:12 AM
I would trade Haley for Whiz back in a heartbeat.

fansince'76
12-17-2012, 12:14 AM

I'd much rather have Norv Turner as OC than either of them.

GoFor7
12-17-2012, 12:14 AM
Whoever the OC is next season, Art Rooney needs to fuck off and let him coach to the players' talent.

Hawaii 5-0
12-17-2012, 12:26 AM

Ben doesn't like Whiz either...

GoFor7
12-17-2012, 12:28 AM
Ben doesn't like Whiz either...

Probably has much more respect for Whiz though.

I brought up Kirby Wilson earlier. Yinzer nation would like him because he's a RB coach, and Ben really seems to have a tremendous amount of respect for him. Not sure if it could happen, but it could be a win win for everyone.

TRH
12-17-2012, 12:45 AM
we'll see what happens but it might be even smarter for Haley just to stay put. He's from the area and really wants to be here. He is, and should be, a little gun-shy about just taking "any job" out there, such as Arizona. What happens if that only works out for a year or so? I'd be surprised to see him leave - but we'll surely find someone good to replace him if it happened. Not worried.

teegre
12-17-2012, 01:17 AM
I'd much rather have Norv Turner as OC than either of them.

Agreed.

Norv as a head coach. AGHHHH!!!

Norv as an offensive coordinator: GENIUS.

teegre
12-17-2012, 01:18 AM
Whoever the OC is next season, Art Rooney needs to fuck off and let him coach to the players' talent.

Dude, we get it. You hate The Rooneys. You do not have to post this in EVERY thread.

Hawaii 5-0
12-17-2012, 01:30 AM
Dude, we get it. You hate The Rooneys. You do not have to post this in EVERY thread.

he doesn't hate all of the Rooneys, only Art II...

Fire Arians
12-17-2012, 02:17 AM
they'll probably sign mendenhall

lardlad
12-17-2012, 02:25 AM

Here we go.

lardlad
12-17-2012, 02:29 AM
they'll probably sign mendenhall

Never thought of that. You're right Mendy will be in Pittsburgh east.

Neil-Still-Rules-14
12-17-2012, 03:34 AM
Is there any of the Steelers FA's that won't end up in Arizona next year?

I'm thinking Foote, Foster, Hampton, Mendenhall, Mundy, and Wallace all have at least outside chances of landing in Arizona.

Rick5895
12-17-2012, 06:58 AM
There is nothing wrong with Haley as an OC. Ben hasn't been used as a pinata this season, our OL has been hit by injuries but have managed to play well in spite of that, our RB's arent very good. All of us arm chair coaches criticize the play calling but this team this season has turned the ball over by fumbling at critical times, and way too many dropped passes. You can blame coaches all you want, but these guys are supposed to be professionals making lots of money, too much money to be making or not making plays.We have a player leadership void, that happens when your leaders for years are gone (Ward, Farrior).
My biggest concern (i hope I'm wrong) is that we may be looking at a return to the eighties, our star players getting old, not replacing them properly through the draft, seems a little reminiscent to me.

steelfury02
12-17-2012, 07:22 AM
The OC isn't a major concern. 3 words: Mother Lovin Fumblin

maddog78
12-17-2012, 08:30 AM
Probably has much more respect for Whiz though.

I brought up Kirby Wilson earlier. Yinzer nation would like him because he's a RB coach, and Ben really seems to have a tremendous amount of respect for him. Not sure if it could happen, but it could be a win win for everyone.

What's Wilson's experience, other than being a family friend and terrible running backs coach?

steelfury02
12-17-2012, 10:11 AM
What's Wilson's experience, other than being a family friend and terrible running backs coach?

Yea, we don't need another Roethlisberger buddy to feed his ego and result in more sacks. Ben wants to be a gun-slinger? Fine - I'll just start tuning him out. He obviously thinks he is above having to transform his game to be even better than he is now.

VERY disappointing Steelers team. Hell - I liked the 06' 8-8 squad better than this pile of garbage with bad attitudes and no heart.

GoFor7
12-17-2012, 10:14 AM
There is nothing wrong with Haley as an OC. Ben hasn't been used as a pinata this season, our OL has been hit by injuries but have managed to play well in spite of that, our RB's arent very good. All of us arm chair coaches criticize the play calling but this team this season has turned the ball over by fumbling at critical times, and way too many dropped passes. You can blame coaches all you want, but these guys are supposed to be professionals making lots of money, too much money to be making or not making plays.We have a player leadership void, that happens when your leaders for years are gone (Ward, Farrior).
My biggest concern (i hope I'm wrong) is that we may be looking at a return to the eighties, our star players getting old, not replacing them properly through the draft, seems a little reminiscent to me.

Agreed. I don't remember any point in this season where he had to sit out because of injuries....

:coffee:

FanSince72
12-17-2012, 01:44 PM

Yeah and then maybe we could get that guy from Indy... :applaudit:

SteelersCanada
12-17-2012, 01:58 PM
Tomlin isn't going anywhere so stop saying stupid things.

Here's what I'd like to see, assuming Todd does head off to be the HC of the Cardinals.

Norv Turner as OC

Look, he can't be a head coach in this league - that was made pretty apparent in San Diego. However, he is a pretty good offensive minded guy and would fit well with Roethlisberger. His quiet demeanor is the exact opposite of Haley, and would put a good scheme in to fit with our WRs. Having Mike Wallace run underneath routes has been one of the failures of this offense, but I feel as if Norv would recognize and fix that situation. We have too many options and weapons on offense for us to be ranked 19th in the NFL. This is a top 10, arguably top 5, offense if given the chance. Norv would bring out the best in all of these guys and under Tomlin, would excel as our coordinator.

Raheem Morris as DC

Remember this guy? I always thought he was a scapegoat and fired from Tampa Bay as a way to save other jobs He wasn't a bad coach - far from it - but he was inexperienced. He's also one of the smartest defensive guys in the league and is currently employed well below the quality of his coaching. On top of that, Tomlin worked for him in Tampa Bay so there's an element of trust and experience with these guys together. While I wouldn't necessarily be sold on him bringing in a 4-3 defense, I feel as if he could adjust and improve his defensive strategy to help develop and move on from our zone-blitz scheme. If that doesn't work ...

Rex Ryan as our DC

Now, before I get yelled at, hear me out for a second. Is the guy a clown? Absolutely. Does he open his mouth and talk too much, often not saying anything at all? You bet. He's also a defensive genius and when given a defense like ours - with possible draft picks like Jordan, Mosley, Johnson, McDonald, Lester, etc. - he could do great things here. He'd be on a leash and wouldn't be allowed to talk to media, but I think he could do great things here. Under Tomlin who wouldn't tolerate his bullshit he might finally succeed and would have a team that could compete and beat Belichick - something he seems hell-bent on doing.

BLACK_AND_YELLOW
12-17-2012, 02:01 PM
Tomlin isn't going anywhere so stop saying stupid things.

Here's what I'd like to see, assuming Todd does head off to be the HC of the Cardinals.

Norv Turner as OC

Look, he can't be a head coach in this league - that was made pretty apparent in San Diego. However, he is a pretty good offensive minded guy and would fit well with Roethlisberger. His quiet demeanor is the exact opposite of Haley, and would put a good scheme in to fit with our WRs. Having Mike Wallace run underneath routes has been one of the failures of this offense, but I feel as if Norv would recognize and fix that situation. We have too many options and weapons on offense for us to be ranked 19th in the NFL. This is a top 10, arguably top 5, offense if given the chance. Norv would bring out the best in all of these guys and under Tomlin, would excel as our coordinator.

Raheem Morris as DC

Remember this guy? I always thought he was a scapegoat and fired from Tampa Bay as a way to save other jobs He wasn't a bad coach - far from it - but he was inexperienced. He's also one of the smartest defensive guys in the league and is currently employed well below the quality of his coaching. On top of that, Tomlin worked for him in Tampa Bay so there's an element of trust and experience with these guys together. While I wouldn't necessarily be sold on him bringing in a 4-3 defense, I feel as if he could adjust and improve his defensive strategy to help develop and move on from our zone-blitz scheme. If that doesn't work ...

Rex Ryan as our DC

Now, before I get yelled at, hear me out for a second. Is the guy a clown? Absolutely. Does he open his mouth and talk too much, often not saying anything at all? You bet. He's also a defensive genius and when given a defense like ours - with possible draft picks like Jordan, Mosley, Johnson, McDonald, Lester, etc. - he could do great things here. He'd be on a leash and wouldn't be allowed to talk to media, but I think he could do great things here. Under Tomlin who wouldn't tolerate his bullshit he might finally succeed and would have a team that could compete and beat Belichick - something he seems hell-bent on doing.

Keith Butler will be our next DC, & i cant see Haley leaving next year unless he has a HC job but i dont think it will happen..

SteelersCanada
12-17-2012, 02:08 PM
Keith Butler will be our next DC, & i cant see Haley leaving next year unless he has a HC job but i dont think it will happen..

As plausible as this is, I think we need to move past LeBeau's defensive philosophy and move on to a different line of thinking - one that isn't about containing WRs and giving up the short gains, but attacking at the line, jamming WRs and creating turnovers.

Raheem Morris would bring in a different defensive philosophy and change in ideology for this team - one I think it desperately needs.

steelfury02
12-17-2012, 02:27 PM
As plausible as this is, I think we need to move past LeBeau's defensive philosophy and move on to a different line of thinking - one that isn't about containing WRs and giving up the short gains, but attacking at the line, jamming WRs and creating turnovers.

Raheem Morris would bring in a different defensive philosophy and change in ideology for this team - one I think it desperately needs.

I think Dick has learned about having to adjust - problem is, players aren't executing. Injuries have increased the use of the soft D

BLACK_AND_YELLOW
12-17-2012, 02:27 PM

tbh I think the defense will change when Butler takes over, not to much of a change but like you said I believe we will be more of aggressive defense like how we use to be.(but we really need more playmakers in the secondary for the turnovers to happen)

steeltheone
12-17-2012, 02:57 PM

Norv...No more quiet guys, how about some fire!

Raheem..They called him " Radio " not only for his looks, but some of his coaching decisions.

Rex Ryan...Idiot

Keith Butler...Has never done anything, anywhere to warrant being the new D.C. Never understood the love for this guy.

torpedoshell31
12-17-2012, 03:17 PM
The problem isn't with Haley's offense, it is with the WR's in it. Remember in Arizona, Haley used the short quick slants to the WR's as an extension of the running game. The difference is that their WR's were much more physical than ours. (Fitzgerald and Bolden in particular.)
Our WR's are much smaller, so when they catch the ball and start to run, as soon as there is any contact made on them they fumble the ball.

GoFor7
12-17-2012, 03:22 PM
That Todd Haley! So unpredictable unlike that stupid Air-Head Arians!

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000113032/article/brandon-carr-knowing-haley-helped-me-make-big-play

tony hipchest
12-17-2012, 03:46 PM

I'd much rather have Norv Turner as OC than either of them.ive been hoping for the chargers to fire him for the past 5 years in hopes we would get him. ladainian tomlinson had one of his best years when they were returning a 4-12 team with the most horrible line in football.

GoFor7
12-17-2012, 03:53 PM
ive been hoping for the chargers to fire him for the past 5 years in hopes we would get him. ladainian tomlinson had one of his best years when they were returning a 4-12 team with the most horrible line in football.

But he's no good if he can't "put Ben in his place."

:coffee:

steeltheone
12-17-2012, 05:18 PM
ive been hoping for the chargers to fire him for the past 5 years in hopes we would get him. ladainian tomlinson had one of his best years when they were returning a 4-12 team with the most horrible line in football.

I':applaudit:m glad the Chargers have kept him. Thats one less team we have had to worry about!

SteelBobbleHead
12-17-2012, 05:28 PM
I heard the OC coordinator job for next year is going to be between Mendenhall and Wallace. They are going to have a competition and whoever wins will be offered a player/coach contract.

GoFor7
12-17-2012, 07:46 PM
I':applaudit:m glad the Chargers have kept him. Thats one less team we have had to worry about!

Not last week it wasn't...

jiminpa
12-17-2012, 08:02 PM
Dude, we get it. You hate The Rooneys. You do not have to post this in EVERY thread.He hates the Rooneys, he hates Pittsburghers, he hates LeBeau, but he seems to love Arians. Hmmmmm, I think something doesn't smell right.

Hawaii 5-0
12-17-2012, 08:04 PM
He hates the Rooneys, he hates Pittsburghers, he hates LeBeau, but he seems to love Arians. Hmmmmm, I think something doesn't smell right.

he loves Arians because BEN the demi-God loves Arians...

jiminpa
12-17-2012, 08:10 PM
he loves Arians because BEN the demi-God loves Arians...It smells like something else to me. Like he may have been a fan of that loser Arians from a previous team.

Blackout
12-17-2012, 08:10 PM
How can you be a Steelers fan and hate the Rooneys? Doesn't make much sense to me.

jiminpa
12-17-2012, 08:13 PM
How can you be a Steelers fan and hate the Rooneys? Doesn't make much sense to me.That's the math I'm doing. Now add in being an Arians fan, and I think someone needs to just come out of the closet, (and I'm not talking sexual orientation).

Hawaii 5-0
12-17-2012, 08:22 PM
How can you be a Steelers fan and hate the Rooneys? Doesn't make much sense to me.

a certain poster is convinced that Art II meddled by mandating that the Steelers return to the 70s and run the ball more instead of just letting Ben the Demi-God make the plays to win games.

defence
12-17-2012, 10:10 PM
a certain poster is convinced that Art II meddled by mandating that the Steelers return to the 70s and run the ball more instead of just letting Ben the Demi-God make the plays to win games.

Why don't you guys get real and stop with the demi god shit. Ben is the franchise qb. last time I checked; before Ben we won our last superbowl in 1981. So please with the stupid comments. First off; Haley has done nothing this year to make us forget about Ariens. his playcalling is putrid and predictable. Last time I checked; our most talented rb is being suspended by the coach for being pissed off for sitting behind sieves like Dwyer and Redman. But haley wants to run the ball with 2 guys that wouldn't make another roster in the nfl. Bro; I'm not trying to be an ass here; but have a look around the nfl and look at qb's like Flacco and the other shits out there and all i know is I will take Ben over almost all of them out there. Let's appreciate what we have. And I believe when you have a talent like Ben; you damn well keep him happy:drink:

jiminpa
12-17-2012, 10:19 PM
I don't know what to think of Haley, but I have to give him this much leeway--he is being hindered by Tomlin's littler personality conflict with Mendenhall. There aren't many passing plays that work on a regular basis if the defense doesn't even have to account for you running the ball. Tomlin is setting Haley up to fail, but hopefully Tomlin will succeed in trapping himself instead.

Hawaii 5-0
12-17-2012, 10:20 PM
Why don't you guys get real and stop with the demi god shit. Ben is the franchise qb. last time I checked; before Ben we won our last superbowl in 1981. So please with the stupid comments. First off; Haley has done nothing this year to make us forget about Ariens. his playcalling is putrid and predictable. Last time I checked; our most talented rb is being suspended by the coach for being pissed off for sitting behind sieves like Dwyer and Redman. But haley wants to run the ball with 2 guys that wouldn't make another roster in the nfl. Bro; I'm not trying to be an ass here; but have a look around the nfl and look at qb's like Flacco and the other shits out there and all i know is I will take Ben over almost all of them out there. Let's appreciate what we have. And I believe when you have a talent like Ben; you damn well keep him happy:drink:

you took my reference out of context, I was referring to the opinion of another poster who just doesn't believe that Ben can ever do anything wrong.

defence
12-17-2012, 10:34 PM
you took my reference out of context, I was referring to the opinion of another poster who just doesn't believe that Ben can ever do anything wrong.

Fair enough. But let's be real here. That offence sucks and the main reason is because our coach is in a pissing war with the only rb we have. I frikin can't believe that an educated man; or let's say a man with football sense would start a back like Dwyer. So if Ben wants to sling it; you sling it. Sometimes you win; sometimes you lose. But ben is Ben and he is no demi god. As I said before; you can settle for junk like flacco or as I'm watching right now; sanchez lol !!!!

Hawaii 5-0
12-17-2012, 10:39 PM
Fair enough. But let's be real here. That offence sucks and the main reason is because our coach is in a pissing war with the only rb we have. I frikin can't believe that an educated man; or let's say a man with football sense would start a back like Dwyer. So if Ben wants to sling it; you sling it. Sometimes you win; sometimes you lose. But ben is Ben and he is no demi god. As I said before; you can settle for junk like flacco or as I'm watching right now; sanchez lol !!!!

I actually agree with what you're saying, and this goes back to my earlier reference of why a certain poster dislikes Art II who believes that he is mandating running the ball more and thus taking the ball out of our franchise QB's hands.

GoFor7
12-17-2012, 10:44 PM

You can't pay too much attention to the knee-jerk reactions. If you don't put sole blame of the loss at Dallas at Ben's feet, you're an Arians' lover.

And compared to some other people on this forum, I've been nice to LeBeau. At this rate, you guys are going to have serious knee problems later on in life.

Blackout
12-17-2012, 10:44 PM
Can you really blame Art II (if he is the one that wants to go back to more of a smash mouth style) when it protects your 100 million dollar investment at center? This NFL era doesn't seem to encourage that sort of offensive philosophy. But without a doubt it would be benefical to have a great run game in addition to our passing game.

madtowndrunkard
12-17-2012, 10:48 PM
he doesn't hate all of the Rooneys, only Art II...

I don't think you are the only one. It seemed like Bill Cowher didn't care of him either. No one really knows what went on behind the scenes, but my hunch is Art II wants to be more involved in the team's football decisions. For Art II to have more control Cowher needed to go, so I don't think Art II was sad to see him leave.

Art II obviously has a vision of how this team will be run...and how it will play the game...which is why Arians is gone. He firmly believes to win consistently you need to have a strong running game and a strong defense. That has been the steeler way for many years. It's also probably cheaper to be a team built around the running game, then the passing game.

I have to admit Art II comes across a little bit like a sleazy lawyer type...but I don't know the guy...so who knows. I'm usually correct in my initial judgment of people...but not always.... Shooter McGavin right?

The rooney's own the team... and the Rooney name is as good as the steeler name... so I'm not going to go bashing the family... I've heard nothing but great things about the family. Is Art II as talented as his father in running the team? Time will tell.

Blackout
12-17-2012, 10:56 PM
And add that Art II views the organization as running a business, probably the most profitable one in the league too. I would rather trust the Rooneys than putting the team in the hands of someone else, I believe the tradition needs to be upheld. It wouldn't surprise me if he is pulling Tomlin's strings. In fact I think Tomlin is probably in the worst position in the NFL with the amount of scrutiny and pressure that is one him to deliver results as the most valued team in the NFL

I would hate to have his job. I could only imagine what kind of meeting was held after the 80 yard touchdown Tebow threw. And after this season, who knows what kind of changes Tomlin will have to do to please the owners.

I hope I'm not portraying them as some dark overlords, but the Rooneys don't seem the type to really accept mediocrity and poor play. I'm sure with Tomlin's success at HC he's had some wiggle room to run it how he wants, but that may change after this season.

But who really knows what goes on behind the scenes...

GoFor7
12-17-2012, 11:04 PM
I don't think you are the only one. It seemed like Bill Cowher didn't care of him either. No one really knows what went on behind the scenes, but my hunch is Art II wants to be more involved in the team's football decisions. For Art II to have more control Cowher needed to go, so I don't think Art II was sad to see him leave.

Art II obviously has a vision of how this team will be run...and how it will play the game...which is why Arians is gone. He firmly believes to win consistently you need to have a strong running game and a strong defense. That has been the steeler way for many years. It's also probably cheaper to be a team built around the running game, then the passing game.

I have to admit Art II comes across a little bit like a sleazy lawyer type...but I don't know the guy...so who knows. I'm usually correct in my initial judgment of people...but not always.... Shooter McGavin right?

The rooney's own the team... and the Rooney name is as good as the steeler name... so I'm not going to go bashing the family... I've heard nothing but great things about the family. Is Art II as talented as his father in running the team? Time will tell.

^Is he an Arians lover too? Or is he a Ravens fan?

It's amazing to me that Artie doesn't know his own team's history. Between the 2nd super bowl win and 3rd super bowl win of the 70's, Chuck Noll figured out that defense and time of possession wasn't enough. They won their last two super bowls mostly on Bradshaw's arm. Did Art Rooney Sr get all pissed off because his team showed some finesse and the QB was shining? Or, maybe like a human being with at least an ounce of sense, did he understand it was necessary considering the talent on the team?

Look around the NFL. In the last decade the teams that have been successful are the teams that have treated their QBs well, not teams that try to put the QB "in his place." So yeah, I can understand why Ben would be pissed considering his former OC, despite his faults, was fired in a gutless way by some sleazy lawyer who inherited the team from daddy and never played a down of football in his life. And then that same sleazy lawyer tells him he has to change because apparently his last name is Rooney and he knows everything.

It goes beyond Ben too. Management has made some really bad football decisions in regards to contracts and the draft. They've got older guys signed to contracts that have really put the Steelers in a bad position with the cap, and too many of the players they've drafted haven't shown they can step in. And now there are rumors they are talking with Mendenhall, in the middle of the season, about a new contract? So they suddenly abandon their tradition of not talking contracts mid-season for an underachieving RB who sympathized with Bin Laden? Yup, that makes sense.

Please come back Dan. The football acumen has skipped a generation.

defence
12-17-2012, 11:05 PM
Can you really blame Art II (if he is the one that wants to go back to more of a smash mouth style) when it protects your 100 million dollar investment at center? This NFL era doesn't seem to encourage that sort of offensive philosophy. But without a doubt it would be benefical to have a great run game in addition to our passing game.

I agree a great run game would change everything. But with who?? Dwyer for gods sake? redman!! C'mon!!! Tomlin has really f***** up big time here. Listen; I am not a huge mendy fan; but Tomlin has really put the gears to him after the Cleveland game. But really; all the rb's fumbled that game but he was in the dog house. How many weeks do we have to watch Dwyer rush for 22 yards and average 2 yards a carry?? At the end of it all; it;s Tomlins responsibility to put out the best players to win to get these guys to the playoffs. So far; he hasn't done that!

madtowndrunkard
12-17-2012, 11:10 PM
And add that Art II views the organization as running a business, probably the most profitable one in the league too. I would rather trust the Rooneys than putting the team in the hands of someone else, I believe the tradition needs to be upheld. It wouldn't surprise me if he is pulling Tomlin's strings. In fact I think Tomlin is probably in the worst position in the NFL with the amount of scrutiny and pressure that is one him to deliver results as the most valued team in the NFL

I would hate to have his job. I could only imagine what kind of meeting was held after the 80 yard touchdown Tebow threw. And after this season, who knows what kind of changes Tomlin will have to do to please the owners.

I hope I'm not portraying them as some dark overlords, but the Rooneys don't seem the type to really accept mediocrity and poor play. I'm sure with Tomlin's success at HC he's had some wiggle room to run it how he wants, but that may change after this season.

What kind of changes to please the owners? How about winning a playoff game?

When you are given a superbowl caliber team... it's really not asking much to at least win a playoff game. I have to think that would be a coaches dream job. Take over Ben, a #1 defense, and Dick Lebeau has your assistant!!! The past two seasons are turning out to be total disasters...lets be honest.

madtowndrunkard
12-17-2012, 11:12 PM
I agree a great run game would change everything. But with who?? Dwyer for gods sake? redman!! C'mon!!! Tomlin has really f***** up big time here. Listen; I am not a huge mendy fan; but Tomlin has really put the gears to him after the Cleveland game. But really; all the rb's fumbled that game but he was in the dog house. How many weeks do we have to watch Dwyer rush for 22 yards and average 2 yards a carry?? At the end of it all; it;s Tomlins responsibility to put out the best players to win to get these guys to the playoffs. So far; he hasn't done that!

IMO I think it's difficult to really grade our running backs. IMO our O-line is one of the worst at run blocking in the NFL. ... we struggle to get any push. Yea I don't think we have any HOF running backs...but I think with a good run blocking O-line our opinions might be different. We've got speed backs, we've got power backs... none of them can get anything going.

Blackout
12-17-2012, 11:15 PM
Well how are you going to develop a solid back if you keep rotating them after every play? Tomlin and Haley need to realize that Redman and Dwyer are not cut to be starting backs. Give some more time to Mendy and see how he does. If he still doesn't pan out, then we may need to consider a RB draft. I still think Mendy has a number of years left in his prime, so it doesn't strike me as suprising there are extension talks. Maybe another 3 years.

But if you do extend him, make him more integral to the offense. Don't know why Tomlin makes that position such a hard one to earn as a starter.

zcoop
12-17-2012, 11:19 PM

Are you kidding me? Bill Cowher stayed around quite a while without delivering. I just hope they don't become like JJ in Dal or the former Al Davis in Oak and let the football folks do what they hired them to do.

GoFor7
12-17-2012, 11:24 PM
Are you kidding me? Bill Cowher stayed around quite a while without delivering. I just hope they don't become like JJ in Dal or the former Al Davis in Oak and let the football folks do what they hired them to do.

That's the thing - if this was happening to the Cowboys, Raiders, or Redskins we'd be laughing our asses off at what a joke those organizations are. But when Art wants to meddle, it's okay and anyone that's against it is an Arians lover, a Ravens fan, a Browns fan, a fag, riding Ben's pole, a Lebeau hater, an even bigger fag, etc, etc....

defence
12-17-2012, 11:25 PM
IMO I think it's difficult to really grade our running backs. IMO our O-line is one of the worst at run blocking in the NFL. ... we struggle to get any push. Yea I don't think we have any HOF running backs...but I think with a good run blocking O-line our opinions might be different. We've got speed backs, we've got power backs... none of them can get anything going.

So what do you suggest?? we invest more picks in that o line. No way!! We have a first and second in last years draft that have done shit. Gilbert; nothing!! Pouncey another first rounder has played well. Point is; the steelers have invested heavily into the oline to a point where many other positions were left neglected. So either these guys aren't drafting properly; or the coaches aren't doing there part to get the talent out of the high picks on this oline

zcoop
12-17-2012, 11:26 PM
That's the thing - if this was happening to the Cowboys, Raiders, or Redskins we'd be laughing our asses off at what a joke those organizations are. But when Art wants to meddle, it's okay and anyone that's against it is an Arians lover, a Ravens fan, a Browns fan, a fag, riding Ben's pole, a Lebeau hater, an even bigger fag, etc, etc....

I hear ya bro, just don't believe the hype. Although, it makes for good board drama.:wink02:

madtowndrunkard
12-17-2012, 11:31 PM
So what do you suggest?? we invest more picks in that o line. No way!! We have a first and second in last years draft that have done shit. Gilbert; nothing!! Pouncey another first rounder has played well. Point is; the steelers have invested heavily into the oline to a point where many other positions were left neglected. So either these guys aren't drafting properly; or the coaches aren't doing there part to get the talent out of the high picks on this oline

I think you might be on to something....

Who do we draft in round 1? I'm guessing the most talented player at RB, ILB, DT, OT, or DB. I see no reason to reach... take who falls to us... isn't that how we usually draft?

2nd round... same thing. We've got too many holes to fill to really reach for anyone.

As we've found out this year.. you really cant have too much depth on the O-line. We also really need an upgrade at ILB imo.... Hampton needs a replacement as well... I'd like to see us go to Free Agency to fill a hole this offseason. I know that's not how we do things but I think we may not have a choice.

teegre
12-18-2012, 12:13 AM

Or, they have been injured.

The Colon, DD, Pouncey, Adams, & Gilbert have all missed significant amounts of time.

teegre
12-18-2012, 12:23 AM

1. Yet another thread hijacked with four pages of "I hate the Rooneys." Dude, we get it. We got it fifteen threads ago...

2. From what I've seen, in regards to name-calling...

YOU usually start out by making a statement... and then adding the obligatory "If anyone disagrees with me, then I must be an Arians lover." Has ANYONE actually called you any of the names that you claim to have been called? Or, is it like I said, you are yourself are "claiming" that people are saying these things?

2-a. Better yet, I seem to recall you being the one who habitually calls people "Yinzers" and "drunks."

3. I like Norv as an OC. He did wonders in Dallas, Washington, & Oakland... and even now, when he game-plans effectively in San Diego, they are basically a scoring machine. [The dude just can NOT be a HC.]

defence
12-18-2012, 02:31 PM
I think you might be on to something....

Who do we draft in round 1? I'm guessing the most talented player at RB, ILB, DT, OT, or DB. I see no reason to reach... take who falls to us... isn't that how we usually draft?

2nd round... same thing. We've got too many holes to fill to really reach for anyone.

As we've found out this year.. you really cant have too much depth on the O-line. We also really need an upgrade at ILB imo.... Hampton needs a replacement as well... I'd like to see us go to Free Agency to fill a hole this offseason. I know that's not how we do things but I think we may not have a choice.

Yup madtown I agree with all you said except spending anymore high picks on the o line. We can add depth to that area in the later rounds. We NEED to help out in this order 1. rb . 2 cb. After that; pick your positions. But oline maybe 6th or 7th.:drink:

GoFor7
12-18-2012, 03:07 PM
1. Yet another thread hijacked with four pages of "I hate the Rooneys." Dude, we get it. We got it fifteen threads ago...

Apparently I have to repeat, because I've made clear I think Art is just a rotten apple from the family tree. I'm hoping Dan Rooney comes back and sets things straight.

SteelersCanada
12-18-2012, 03:10 PM
Or, they have been injured.

The Colon, DD, Pouncey, Adams, & Gilbert have all missed significant amounts of time.

Teegre, you didn't honestly assume these guys were going to let fact get in their way of saying ridiculous things without merit, did you?

PhantomJB93
12-18-2012, 03:21 PM
Hey if they hire Haley I'll gladly bring Whiz back to take his spot...

GoFor7
12-18-2012, 03:36 PM
Hey if they hire Haley I'll gladly bring Whiz back to take his spot...

Would Whiz want to work under Tomlin?

teegre
12-18-2012, 03:56 PM
Apparently I have to repeat, because I've made clear I think Art is just a rotten apple from the family tree. I'm hoping Dan Rooney comes back and sets things straight.

And, you know this because... he "looks" like a lawyer. Uh... okay.

Yay, derailing threads via vile, unwarranted hatred!!!

teegre
12-18-2012, 03:58 PM
Teegre, you didn't honestly assume these guys were going to let fact get in their way of saying ridiculous things without merit, did you?

D'oh!!! LOL

teegre
12-18-2012, 03:59 PM
Would Whiz want to work under Tomlin?

He would NEVER work under Tomlin.

He hates that Tomlin got the job that he thought was going to be his.

GoFor7
12-18-2012, 04:07 PM
And, you know this because... he "looks" like a lawyer. Uh... okay.

Yay, derailing threads via vile, unwarranted hatred!!!

Or because he couldn't tell the truth about getting rid of an OC, and looked very gutless.

defence
12-18-2012, 04:12 PM

Sorry. If you actually stop and read maybe you can try and understand what some people are trying to say. We've spent many high picks on the oline and neglected other areas of the team. So when I hear crap about the oline; i laugh. Injuries. AHHH yes. Let me break it down for you. Marcus Gilbert. Playing like shit before he got hurt. Mike Adams. If Heath didn't have to baby sit him; he'd have 100 catches this year. David Decastro. Well he hasn't really played; but with so much expectations; I can honestly say his rookie year was a disappointment due to injury. Pouncey has played well. That was my point. We have spent enough on the oline; time to draft rbs and corners. Skill positions!!:thumbsup:

VictoryFormation
12-18-2012, 04:36 PM
If Arizona takes Todd Haley, the Steelers might as well throw in Tomlin, too. The deal would go, Haley, and Tomlin to the Cardinals in exchange for Ken Whisenhunt, Russ Grimm, and a left handed Closer that will pitch for the league minimum.

SteelersCanada
12-18-2012, 04:50 PM
Sorry. If you actually stop and read maybe you can try and understand what some people are trying to say. We've spent many high picks on the oline and neglected other areas of the team. So when I hear crap about the oline; i laugh. Injuries. AHHH yes. Let me break it down for you. Marcus Gilbert. Playing like shit before he got hurt. Mike Adams. If Heath didn't have to baby sit him; he'd have 100 catches this year. David Decastro. Well he hasn't really played; but with so much expectations; I can honestly say his rookie year was a disappointment due to injury. Pouncey has played well. That was my point. We have spent enough on the oline; time to draft rbs and corners. Skill positions!!:thumbsup:

Let me break down why you're wrong. I think I'm going to get more joy out of this than I should, but hey, here we go.

Marcus Gilbert wasn't playing like shit at all, actually. He was playing very well at RT and people were talking about him as the future of this team on the right side. While I disagree and would say he's the future of this team on the left side, that's just semantics.

Mike Adams did need help in pass protection, you're right. He was also going against Paul Kruger, Ryan Kerrigan and Justin Tuck. Show me a tackle that can one-on-one those guys, let alone a rookie tackle playing on the opposite side he played in college. Use that thing on top of your neck before you criticize the kid - he was flashing potential and excellence during the game. That, and he was an absolute monster in run-blocking.

DeCastro's season has only been a disappointment because he hasn't been able to play. From what he showed on Sunday, he'll be our starting guard for the next decade - no question.

You can't just blow off injuries like they're nothing. This team - more specifically the offensive line - has been ravaged and devastated by injuries. We have a 7th round rookie playing starting at RT and he's playing well and improving every game. The simple fact of the matter is, we don't need to improve CBs. All four of our starting corners went down and we should spend high picks on upgrading them for depth purposes? That's ridiculous and I hope you understand why.

Again, use that thing on top of your neck before you comment.

defence
12-18-2012, 05:16 PM
Let me break down why you're wrong. I think I'm going to get more joy out of this than I should, but hey, here we go.

Marcus Gilbert wasn't playing like shit at all, actually. He was playing very well at RT and people were talking about him as the future of this team on the right side. While I disagree and would say he's the future of this team on the left side, that's just semantics.

Mike Adams did need help in pass protection, you're right. He was also going against Paul Kruger, Ryan Kerrigan and Justin Tuck. Show me a tackle that can one-on-one those guys, let alone a rookie tackle playing on the opposite side he played in college. Use that thing on top of your neck before you criticize the kid - he was flashing potential and excellence during the game. That, and he was an absolute monster in run-blocking.

DeCastro's season has only been a disappointment because he hasn't been able to play. From what he showed on Sunday, he'll be our starting guard for the next decade - no question.

You can't just blow off injuries like they're nothing. This team - more specifically the offensive line - has been ravaged and devastated by injuries. We have a 7th round rookie playing starting at RT and he's playing well and improving every game. The simple fact of the matter is, we don't need to improve CBs. All four of our starting corners went down and we should spend high picks on upgrading them for depth purposes? That's ridiculous and I hope you understand why.

Again, use that thing on top of your neck before you comment.

Hey. Thanks for your input. You have your opinion; I have mine. I don't appreciate your comments about the thing on my neck. Remember something friend; we are all steeler fans here. There is no need to be rude because someone disagrees with you. If we all had the answers; we wouldn't be on here typing but working for the club. Just some advice to you !

SteelersCanada
12-18-2012, 06:44 PM
Hey. Thanks for your input. You have your opinion; I have mine. I don't appreciate your comments about the thing on my neck. Remember something friend; we are all steeler fans here. There is no need to be rude because someone disagrees with you. If we all had the answers; we wouldn't be on here typing but working for the club. Just some advice to you !

I'm rude because everything you said was a) full of shit and meant to get a reaction and b) had absolutely nothing backing it? No, but sometimes the truth can hurt. Instead of being hyper-critical of rookies and second year guys, let's cut them some slack and recognize the good they're doing. It only makes sense.

edit - I'm not going to erase what I said, but I realize I'm coming off dickish - that's on me. People always find a way to bitch about something and I realize this isn't what you were doing necessarily, but I do agree with some of your points here. Again, sorry for coming off as a dick.

steelfury02
12-18-2012, 07:08 PM
I'm rude because everything you said was a) full of shit and meant to get a reaction and b) had absolutely nothing backing it? No, but sometimes the truth can hurt. Instead of being hyper-critical of rookies and second year guys, let's cut them some slack and recognize the good they're doing. It only makes sense.

edit - I'm not going to erase what I said, but I realize I'm coming off dickish - that's on me. People always find a way to bitch about something and I realize this isn't what you were doing necessarily, but I do agree with some of your points here. Again, sorry for coming off as a dick.

come on now you two - don't back down on the message board insults

I was just starting to enjoy this:popcorn:

SteelersCanada
12-18-2012, 07:16 PM
come on now you two - don't back down on the message board insults

I was just starting to enjoy this:popcorn:

I ain't Blaze.

steelfury02
12-18-2012, 07:20 PM
I ain't Blaze.

que drums :toofunny:

teegre
12-18-2012, 07:24 PM
Or because he couldn't tell the truth about getting rid of an OC, and looked very gutless.

That is your take on the situation, and thus, I can comprehend why you think that Art II is such a bad person.

But, on the flip side, as I stated, that is your interpretation... when, in truth, they might have fired him, but he asked them to "let him retire" so that he could save face.

Who REALLY knows what went on behind closed doors? Well, who besides you, that is.

Secondly, regardless of what Art II did, is it truly necessary to announce your disdain in every single thread on here?

THREAD Brown signs new contract
GOFOR7: Art II sucks!!!

THREAD: Steelers play-off chances

THREAD: Who will be at Heinz Field on Sunday?

steelfury02
12-18-2012, 07:29 PM
That is your take on the situation, and thus, I can comprehend why you think that Art II is such a bad person.

But, on the flip side, as I stated, that is your interpretation... when, in truth, they might have fired him, but he asked them to "let him retire" so that he could save face.

Who REALLY knows what went on behind closed doors? Well, who besides you, that is.

Secondly, regardless of what Art II did, is it truly necessary to announce your disdain in every single thread on here?

THREAD Brown signs new contract

THREAD: Steelers play-off chances

THREAD: Who will be at Heinz Field on Sunday?

can't say anything - I dropped some more un-needed Arians hate on the #1 Defense by Smoke and such thread . . .:sofunny:

teegre
12-18-2012, 07:38 PM

Um... well... hm... First of all, I stopped... and I can indeed read... but, I still do not understand what you are trying to say.

DRAFT O-LINE
First, you say that Gilbert, Adams, & DD all suck. But, then, you say that the Steelers do NOT need to draft O-line. Well... uh... if they all three suck, then that leaves TWO good O-lineman: Starks & Pouncey. Hence, drafting O-line would be imperative.

But... you say that the Steelers do NOT need to draft O-line, because they already drafted O-line.

Huh?

If they suck, then they need to be replaced... but, you do not want to replace them. So, does that mean that you think that they are good???

IN OTHER WORDS... what exactly is your point?

SUMMATION:
1. The game of football is won on the line. If the O-line is indeed lacking, then using a high draft pick on it is NEVER a bad idea. A RB can not run through a wall; a RB needs holes. Make sense?

2. Those three kiddos (Gilbert et al) have been injured and/or are very young. Hence, they could indeed develop into very good linemen. I am not one to cut bait this early... especially since I think (opinion) that DD will be like the love-child of Alan Faneca & Steve Hutchinson: dominant.

3. With The Colon not able to stay healhty, and Ramon Foster being good, but not great, I would not mind a LG being drafted (although, either Beachum or Gilbert "could" play LG). Regardless, with that said, I see OLB & S being the top two targets.

teegre
12-18-2012, 07:39 PM
can't say anything - I dropped some more un-needed Arians hate on the #1 Defense by Smoke and such thread . . .:sofunny:

THAT is indeed allowed. LOL

Fire Haley
12-18-2012, 08:24 PM
you people are missing the point

If Ben says fire the bitch, then fire him.

You know they fucked up by firing Arians, Ben, just say it, I'm behind you....

maybe with Old Man Rooney back in the states after that Irish Catholic deal he had overseas he'll come back in and lay down the law and get these arrogant losers back on tract