PDA

View Full Version : jerome bettis's NBC debut

tony hipchest
08-13-2006, 02:53 PM
anyone hyped? as good as it was to see the steelers play yesterday it will be good to see jerome at his new job. seeing him once a week every week will definitely take some of the sting out of his retirement. i think im almost anticipating jerome in action more than the bengals/ redskins game itself.

Black@Gold Forever32
08-13-2006, 03:17 PM
I think Jerome will do very well in his new job. I can't wait to see how he does. Plus he is the only one in the studio with a Super Bowl ring. So he can rub it Collinworth's face and the others.

TheTruestBlackGoldFan
08-13-2006, 03:31 PM
I'd really love to be nice...but i cant. He says um between every word, I love jerome as a player just dont know about speaking on T.V. It's probably me being too Analytical im sure he will get over that.

GO JEROME!!!

83-Steelers-43
08-13-2006, 03:48 PM
Bettis won't be shy with his words

Jerome Bettis, debuting on NBC's NFL coverage Sunday, knows the trick for TV rookies is to be candid about ex-compatriots.

With his take on his old team, the Pittsburgh Steelers, the studio analyst seems promising: "The Ben Roethlisberger (injury) issue I'm not concerned about. I'm concerned about coach (Bill) Cowher and his ability to stay focused. Is this a lame-duck year? He's the glue. If he's not motivated the same type of way, it will be difficult for this team to stay together."

If you can question whether the coach who led you to a Super Bowl win can "stay focused," put on the TV pancake makeup. "I talked to (ESPN's) Stephen A. Smith, and he said don't be afraid to call it like it like you see it," Bettis says. "If a guy's playing bad, he's playing bad." - USA Today

stillers4me
08-13-2006, 04:12 PM
I don't think I can stomach Chris Collinsworth even to watch Jemrome Bettis.............major puke. I'd rather listen to someones fingernails slide down a chalkboard than listen to Collinsworth.

CantStop85
08-13-2006, 04:15 PM
Bettis is a stand-up guy...he should do a good job. I'm just glad I'll only be watching him on the sidelines from now on.

83-Steelers-43
08-13-2006, 04:15 PM
For away games as usual.........TV on mute. I'll take Tunch (even though I'm not a huge fan) and Hillgrove.

83-Steelers-43
08-13-2006, 07:32 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong here.

Bettis is supposed to be on tonight during the Bungals and Deadskins game right? I have not seen or heard him yet.

Jeremy
08-13-2006, 07:35 PM
CC has always been right there with John Madden on the list of biggest Steelers haters.

tony hipchest
08-13-2006, 07:40 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong here.

Bettis is supposed to be on tonight during the Bungals and Deadskins game right? I have not seen or heard him yet.i guess nbc dont have a pre game show for the pre season games. wtf? i just assumed they would have a pregame show like fox and cbs does especially with all the big names they assimilated. pretty bogus to tune into a crappy assed bengals game without jerome there to reiterate how much they suck!

Atlanta Dan
08-13-2006, 08:00 PM
Once the real games start on Sunday nights I understand NBC will have a 1 hour pregame show called Football America Tonight or something like that, which will feature Jerome, Costas, and (ugh!) Collinsworth.

Hard to justify that for pre-season games, since I assume that 1 hour pre-game will focus on game highlights from games earlier that day.

I am glad Jerome got a job, but after 20 years I will miss ESPN doing the 1 hour highlights show on Sunday nights before the Sunday night game. NFL told ESPN that has to go to protect NBC's ratings. I understand Berman and T. Jackson will pretty much take over Sunday night SportsCenter and run their (late) highlights show from there.

Will tune in NBC around half time to catch the Bus tonite.

WWIIOwheelz
08-13-2006, 08:04 PM
There were ads for the telecast on during the NASCAR race on NBC..... Bettis was featured a few times on 2 different spots. Sounds like a natural.

BigSteelThrill
08-13-2006, 08:48 PM
Bettis said he believes this is Cowhers last season as coach.

Atlanta Dan
08-13-2006, 08:50 PM
NBC needs to lose this outside in the stands format for the Costas/Bettis/Collinsworth show - it is like ESPN College GameDay where nobody can be heard over the crowd and the broadcast crew ends up playing to the crowd rather than being able to be heard by the viewers.

OTOH it was great to see the Bus flash his SB ring to the howling mob in Cincy. Also glad to see Collinsworth continues the garbage about the Bengals losing in the playoffs only becuase Palmer got hurt - Collinsworth again confirmed my opinion he is a pompous tool.

The Cowher prediction was a repeat of what Jerome was quoted as saying earlier this week. I believe Jerome is right that Cowher is gone - I read contract negotiations with Cowher have halted until "after the season."

dSharp
08-13-2006, 08:53 PM
I wonder how far Coach Cowher's chin jutted out when he watched the Bus tell the world this was Coach's last year.

:)

Jeremy
08-13-2006, 09:02 PM
CC has always been a jackass. He was a jackass on HBO and he's a jackass now.

He falls into the same category as Ron Jaworksi.

Lyn
08-13-2006, 09:14 PM
NBC needs to lose this outside in the stands format for the Costas/Bettis/Collinsworth show - it is like ESPN College GameDay where nobody can be heard over the crowd and the broadcast crew ends up playing to the crowd rather than being able to be heard by the viewers.OTOH it was great to see the Bus flash his SB ring to the howling mob in Cincy. Also glad to see Collinsworth continues the garbage about the Bengals losing in the playoffs only becuase Palmer got hurt - Collinsworth again confirmed my opinion he is a pompous tool.

The Cowher prediction was a repeat of what Jerome was quoted as saying earlier this week. I believe Jerome is right that Cowher is gone - I read contract negotiations with Cowher have halted until "after the season."

Who is that blonde guy on ESPN who does the pregames? He was qb of one of our rivals and he hates the Steelers. Long story short, the AFCC game in 2004 he was with Marino and company in that exact same setting Bettis was in. The Steeler fans called him everything you can possible think of. I was sitting within a stone throw of this circus. He hates the Steelers and the Steeler fans hate him..........name please? LOL

Stlrs4Life
08-13-2006, 09:15 PM
Sissynati fans booed him, Bus just raises the ring! LOL! Classic!

steelcity984
08-13-2006, 09:16 PM
Boomer Esiason

tony hipchest
08-13-2006, 09:18 PM
I am glad Jerome got a job, but after 20 years I will miss ESPN doing the 1 hour highlights show on Sunday nights before the Sunday night game. NFL told ESPN that has to go to protect NBC's ratings. I understand Berman and T. Jackson will pretty much take over Sunday night SportsCenter and run their (late) highlights show from there.

you mean theyre getting rid of nfl primetime???? i dont care if anyone here hates c. berman or t. jackson (bronco). primetime is my favorite show.

Lyn
08-13-2006, 09:19 PM
Boomer Esiason

Boomer how could I have have forgotten! thanks and rep to you!~

SteelersHoss
08-13-2006, 09:24 PM
Man, they sure have mixed up football this year. You have to study all the changes to make sure you know who is having what game.. Primetime is History? Will they not do it before the Monday night games??? ESPN has the rights to MNF do they not???

BBC
08-13-2006, 09:28 PM
Who is that blonde guy on ESPN who does the pregames? He was qb of one of our rivals and he hates the Steelers. Long story short, the AFCC game in 2004 he was with Marino and company in that exact same setting Bettis was in. The Steeler fans called him everything you can possible think of. I was sitting within a stone throw of this circus. He hates the Steelers and the Steeler fans hate him..........name please? LOL

"He's a knucklehead. He's a wide receiver in the NFL. Not everybody can be Hines Ward. If I could have 100 Hines Wards on my team, we would never lose a game. The bottom line is that (Ward) is the quintessential, unselfish, tremendous football player that every wide receiver should be like. He never complains. He blocks downfield. He understands his role in the offense and he just loves winning."

Boomer on Chad

"Pittsburgh is their measuring stick because Pittsburgh runs the team much like the Bengals run their team," he said. "It's family owned, but yet Pittsburgh for all these years has owned them and basically has been a more competitive franchise.

Boomer on the Bengals and Steelers

Lyn
08-13-2006, 09:31 PM
In his defense I have to say that when we did get into the Superbowl he did support the Steelers. But the entire season and throughout the playoffs he knocked the Steelers constantly.

Lyn
08-13-2006, 09:33 PM
Man, they sure have mixed up football this year. You have to study all the changes to make sure you know who is having what game.. Primetime is History? Will they not do it before the Monday night games??? ESPN has the rights to MNF do they not???

Yes, MNF will be on ESPN

BBC
08-13-2006, 09:36 PM
In his defense I have to say that when we did get into the Superbowl he did support the Steelers. But the entire season and throughout the playoffs he knocked the Steelers constantly.

I never really liked him all that much, but I couldn't help but to do so after those quotes. They were just so priceless coming from a former Bengal.

83-Steelers-43
08-13-2006, 09:40 PM
After Boomer's "Chad Johnson rant", I can't help but look at Boomer in a different light. It's about time somebody in that city spoke some sense when dealing with football.

Atlanta Dan
08-14-2006, 07:07 AM
you mean theyre getting rid of nfl primetime???? i dont care if anyone here hates c. berman or t. jackson (bronco). primetime is my favorite show.

Yep - The Sunday night PrimeTime highlights show with Berman and Jackson at 7:30-8:30 is history - it will run (sort of) as part of the Sunday Night SportsCenter after the Sunday night game is over.

ESPN was told to clear out Sunday evening for NBC and its pregame/highlights show, which I believe will start at 7:00 (although that will run over the end of the 4:00 games).
ESPN will be focusing on Monday night, where it will be running PTI from the game site and running a loooong pregame prior to the Monday night game.

HometownGal
08-14-2006, 07:30 AM
CC has always been right there with John Madden on the list of biggest Steelers haters.

Collinsworth hates the Steelers because he spent most of the games he played against them on his ass. Those aren't visions of sugarplums dancing in his head - they're black and gold Mack trucks. He reminds me of an oversized malnourished rat. Give him a garbage can and he'll be happy as a clam.

stlrtruck
08-14-2006, 07:33 AM
From what I saw of THE BUS last night, he did a good job. I loved it when he put on THE RING and waved to crowd. They weren't too pleased with it but hey, he's got every right.

I didn't like Chris "I don't know football" Collinsworth talking about how the Steelers season would have ended in Cincinnati if it weren't for C.P. going down. What a homer!

Midnightwriter07
08-14-2006, 07:39 AM
I too will Miss Sunday Night Football on ESPN and i dont get really excited over NBC taking the games over. IF you look at the early season schedule, NBC has all the good games on Sunday and ESPN Monday Football got a bunch of snoozers .... also, towards the end of the year, NBC Sunday night will get the playoff contender games that they move to the night-time slot when the current game may not host playoff contenders.

I would just assume turn the volume down on Sundays... hate Collinsworth and dont really care much for Madden either.