PDA

View Full Version : Manti Te'o

PhantomJB93
12-16-2012, 11:20 PM
Serious question: If this team does indeed go on to lose again next week, and finishes 8-8 or 7-9, should we consider trading A LOT (as in a first in 2014 or both our second and third round picks this year) to move up and select Manti Te'o in the draft?

We need a replacement for Foote and he could bring the playmaking and leadership this defense has missed for too long now. I think if we draft within the top 20 and Manti slides out of the top 5 we should strongly consider it. Still hoping we can sneak in the playoffs and this isn't a remote possibility, but in a worst case scenario if we're drafting that high (top 20) I think we should go all in and get him.

SteelersCanada
12-17-2012, 12:05 AM
No. Nico Johnson showed he was a better ILB last year than Te'o - he made more plays and was more impressive. This year he fell off, but he's going to be a fourth round pick this year because his production fell off for whatever reason. We shouldn't trade up for anyone in this draft because, if we are picking anywhere between 16 - 20, guys like Jordan and Mosley will be on the board. Our lack of pressure on the quarterback is one of the most glaring needs for this team right now.

cbrunn
12-17-2012, 12:17 AM
Yeah I'm liking Anthony Barr right now ... but definitely not a trade up ... cost to much and have to many positions to fill

teegre
12-18-2012, 12:33 AM
No. Nico Johnson showed he was a better ILB last year than Te'o - he made more plays and was more impressive. This year he fell off, but he's going to be a fourth round pick this year because his production fell off for whatever reason. We shouldn't trade up for anyone in this draft because, if we are picking anywhere between 16 - 20, guys like Jordan and Mosley will be on the board. Our lack of pressure on the quarterback is one of the most glaring needs for this team right now.

I like Nico Johnson a lot... a lot.

We think alike, brother.

R1 - Elam**
R4 - Johnson

Now, all we need to do is square away R2 & R3.

**[Unless the go OLB: Dion Jordan, et al.]

Steel Glory
01-08-2013, 04:26 PM
Serious question: If this team does indeed go on to lose again next week, and finishes 8-8 or 7-9, should we consider trading A LOT (as in a first in 2014 or both our second and third round picks this year) to move up and select Manti Te'o in the draft?

We need a replacement for Foote and he could bring the playmaking and leadership this defense has missed for too long now. I think if we draft within the top 20 and Manti slides out of the top 5 we should strongly consider it. Still hoping we can sneak in the playoffs and this isn't a remote possibility, but in a worst case scenario if we're drafting that high (top 20) I think we should go all in and get him.

He may fall to 17 now. I don't know anyone that really needs an inside linebacker above us. Detroit does, but they have much more pressing needs.

teegre
01-12-2013, 11:22 PM
He may fall to 17 now. I don't know anyone that really needs an inside linebacker above us. Detroit does, but they have much more pressing needs.

Da Bolts

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-19-2013, 11:39 PM
Interesting theory floating around is that Te'o is gay and the whole story of a girlfriend was fabricated to protect his image in a world of jocks. Could be true.?

PhantomJB93
01-19-2013, 11:46 PM
Interesting theory floating around is that Te'o is gay and the whole story of a girlfriend was fabricated to protect his image in a world of jocks. Could be true.?

I don't know that I believe it, but it would certainly explain this whole thing. It's really the only explanation that could give him a legitimate reason to lie about everything (Mormons and Notre Dame are obviously not very Gay-friendly communities, let alone being a high-caliber football player and leader) and not make him look like a complete gullible idiot. But if that were indeed the case, he's still stupid for perpetuating a huge lie like that instead of just lying low when it came to his sexuality/relationships. Would have been way easier to just pretend he was a single straight dude like tons of college football players are anyway.

I feel if he came out it would take him off a lot of draft boards or really lower his stock, not necessarily because of homophobia or anti-gay sentiments around the league, but just because of the HUGE media circus that will come with drafting the first openly-gay NFL player.

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-20-2013, 11:07 AM
Te'o has lived most of his life at the nexus of some of the most homophobic corners of society. Growing up Mormon isn't easy for any gay person. And if he is gay, he has been pelted all his life with messages telling him he is less than human. In 2008, as he was selecting which college to attend, the Mormon Church mounted a multi-million-dollar campaign to kill same-sex marriage rights in California. They succeeded. These are powerful messages he has heard from the most respected people in his life. It's hard to get out from under that, as people like Dustin Lance Black will tell you.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/cyd-zeigler/manti-teo-gay-speculation_b_2500436.html