PDA

View Full Version : 2011 Giants

maddog78
12-17-2012, 09:06 AM
These comparisons are going to be coming up all week, and there are some valid similarities to point out.

The Giants were 7-7 last year, losers of 5 of 6 to fall there. The Steelers are 7-7, losers of 4 of 5.

Both teams have franchise QBs from the 2004 draft class.

Both teams have won recent Super Bowls.

That might be where they end, though. That Giants team had 48 sacks and forced 31 turnovers. The Steelers are on pace for 31 sacks and 15 turnovers. For comparison, other recent six seeds to go the distance, the 2005 Steelers had 47 sacks and 30 turnovers, the 2010 Packers had 47 sacks and 32 turnovers. The 2012 Steelers are a small play defense.

That Giants team was 5-3 on the road, the Steelers are 3-5.

Also, the path for the Giants to get to the Super Bowl included a home game against a dome team (Atlanta), an impressive road win at Green Bay, and lucky road win against an offensively challenged San Francisco. In that huge Green Bay win, the Giants sacked Rodgers four times and forced four turnovers. Do you see this Steeler defense pulling off a performance like that?

Barring an upset or two of a top seed, the Steelers road to a Super Bowl will have to go through New England, Denver, and Houston. I just can't see this popgun defense and scattershot, inconsistent offense being enough to pull off three huge upsets. I'd happily eat my share of crow if they did, but I just don't think this team is built for a huge playoff run.

ETL
12-17-2012, 09:11 AM
But no one saw the Giants and their inconsistency being able to make a run to win the SB.

It is a low probability for the Steelers to win the SB but it is zero probability if they don't make the playoffs.

If I want to focus on all the negatives - I would be depressed. I CHOOSE to have hope that the Steelers can make a deep run.

BLACK_AND_YELLOW
12-17-2012, 09:15 AM
If somehow we can get healthy when the playoffs start we have a very good chance, but if we go anywhere our defense has to step up and make plays.

I could see us beating the Texans, and only thing scares me about Denver is not being able to have Clark, Manning dont scare me in the playoffs & the only way we would beat the Pats is if we control the Clock like last years so we can keep Brady off the field but the way our offense looks i dont think its possible smh

The_Joker
12-17-2012, 09:20 AM
Don't you know, this team sucks and there is no positives?

Thank god Tomlin/the players don't act this cynical.

steelfury02
12-17-2012, 09:28 AM

the problem is, they don't act like anything - lifeless.

maddog78
12-17-2012, 09:30 AM
But no one saw the Giants and their inconsistency being able to make a run to win the SB.

It is a low probability for the Steelers to win the SB but it is zero probability if they don't make the playoffs.

If I want to focus on all the negatives - I would be depressed. I CHOOSE to have hope that the Steelers can make a deep run.

I choose to hope they can, too, but that doesn't mean you can ignore the facts.

maddog78
12-17-2012, 09:32 AM

The coach who said he didn't go for two against the Chargers because "it was bleak at that point"?

Did you see Belichick and Brady give up when they were down 31-3?

steelfury02
12-17-2012, 09:36 AM
The coach who said he didn't go for two against the Chargers because "it was bleak at that point"?

Did you see Belichick and Brady give up when they were down 31-3?

As I said above - lifeless. How can the fans have any hope when they clearly have no emotion once they get down? Few of them have any heart left.

SteeleReign
12-17-2012, 09:38 AM
These comparisons are going to be coming up all week, and there are some valid similarities to point out.

The Giants were 7-7 last year, losers of 5 of 6 to fall there. The Steelers are 7-7, losers of 4 of 5.

Both teams have franchise QBs from the 2004 draft class.

Both teams have won recent Super Bowls.

That might be where they end, though. That Giants team had 48 sacks and forced 31 turnovers. The Steelers are on pace for 31 sacks and 15 turnovers. For comparison, other recent six seeds to go the distance, the 2005 Steelers had 47 sacks and 30 turnovers, the 2010 Packers had 47 sacks and 32 turnovers. The 2012 Steelers are a small play defense.

That Giants team was 5-3 on the road, the Steelers are 3-5.

Also, the path for the Giants to get to the Super Bowl included a home game against a dome team (Atlanta), an impressive road win at Green Bay, and lucky road win against an offensively challenged San Francisco. In that huge Green Bay win, the Giants sacked Rodgers four times and forced four turnovers. Do you see this Steeler defense pulling off a performance like that?

Barring an upset or two of a top seed, the Steelers road to a Super Bowl will have to go through New England, Denver, and Houston. I just can't see this popgun defense and scattershot, inconsistent offense being enough to pull off three huge upsets. I'd happily eat my share of crow if they did, but I just don't think this team is built for a huge playoff run.

I agree with all of this. The Giants had the defense to force opposing QBs into mistakes. They had the defense to give their offense a short field. They had the defense to overcome offensive shortcomings.

The Steelers don't. Even with Ike in the secondary. Unless or until the front 7 can get pressure on the pocket the Steelers are unlikely to win a playoff game, let alone a Superbowl.

maddog78
12-17-2012, 09:40 AM
As I said above - lifeless. How can the fans have any hope when they clearly have no emotion once they get down? Few of them have any heart left.

Did you see the team walk to the other end of the field at the end of the first quarter? Completely dead and emotionless. There was a sideline shot of the OL early in the game, too - dead, blank stares and no coaches in sight.

steelfury02
12-17-2012, 09:43 AM
Did you see the team walk to the other end of the field at the end of the first quarter? Completely dead and emotionless. There was a sideline shot of the OL early in the game, too - dead, blank stares and no coaches in sight.

I did in fact - I'm pissed at a lot of the players, and even more pissed that no one, including Ben - has stepped up to take control of the unraveling. You can't force players to want it more - but the lack of determination WITH the attitude (Ben's bitching about the play calling again) is awful. Mendenhall and Wallace's attitude have crept into a lot of other players IMO. The injuries and turnovers have only compounded the disease.

TRH
12-17-2012, 11:05 AM
in fact, the Giants and the Steelers DO have a lot in common.

They both waltz onto the field on many Sunday's, especially games they're heavy favorites in, and just expect the other team to lay down and give them the win. They barely even try, let alone bring any passion to these games.
And both teams are getting a serious wake-up call that other teams not only don't respect them, but they're physically kicking their ass from one side of the field to the other.
This was also discussed this morning on one of the ESPN shows and i completely concur.

steelfury02
12-17-2012, 11:13 AM
in fact, the Giants and the Steelers DO have a lot in common.

They both waltz onto the field on many Sunday's, especially games they're heavy favorites in, and just expect the other team to lay down and give them the win. They barely even try, let alone bring any passion to these games.
And both teams are getting a serious wake-up call that other teams not only don't respect them, but they're physically kicking their ass from one side of the field to the other.
This was also discussed this morning on one of the ESPN shows and i completely concur.

TRH - I agree. Is it really a surprise that the Giants and the Steelers are filled with 1-2x winning SB players and they just might be complacent? The teams that haven't won it yet are proving to be hungrier. The Broncos and the Falcons are two teams that exude: "We're taking it and we're going to do whatever it means to accomplish it - you're not going to out prepare us, and you're not going to stop us"

Keisel said it best. A lot them have pinpointed this issue. You just can't say we're the Steelers and because of that we'll win. They have to carry the torch of what those SB teams did and how they prepared and how they focused, and how they took each and every game as the last stand. I'm gonna sound like a cheesy 80s inspirational song, but you can't reclaim the glory while riding on the past.