PDA

View Full Version : AFC North tie breakers

madtowndrunkard
12-17-2012, 11:26 PM
How do the tie breakers work out? Lets say the Ravens, Bengals, and Steelers all finish 9-7? Bengals are out correct? Who wins the division?

remaining schedules:

Ravens: Giants , Bengals

Bengals: Steelers, Ravens

Steelers: Bengals, Browns

TheVet
12-17-2012, 11:50 PM
I don't have the heart to think about tie breakers. Fortunately, there are more AFC playoff slots than deserving teams this year, so we do have a shot. If we make it, we make it, and that will be great. But my logical side says that maybe a higher draft pick and a lucky draft would be better for next year ...

Neil-Still-Rules-14
12-18-2012, 12:04 AM
If all three finish at 9-7, the Steelers win the division and the Bengals miss the playoffs.

FrancoLambert
12-18-2012, 12:06 AM
Big deal, we'll be one and done.

Cyphon
12-18-2012, 07:46 AM
Can someone point out what I am missing here. I have seen people say if the Ravens lose out and we win out that we win the division but I can't figure out how so I know I am overlooking something or missing part of the rules:

1. Head to head is the first thing they look at and we split the series with the Ravens and assuming a win over the Bengals we have swept them. So that puts us in over the Bengals but we have to go to step 2 to determine vs the Ravens.

2. The 2nd thing they look at if the first doesn't clear it up is division record. Again, assuming the 9-7 scenario both us and the Ravens would finish 4-2 in the division. Meaning we have to look further.

3. This step is record vs common opponents. Right now our record vs opponents the Ravens have played or will play is 4-4 while their record is 4-3. A loss to the Giants would put them at 4-4. Add in division record and that puts us both at 7-5.

4. Next is conference record and the Ravens would be 8-4 while we are at 6-6. So doesn't that put the Ravens as the division winner?

WVABE
12-18-2012, 08:16 AM
We're 3-1 against nfc, that's gotta fit in somewhere.

SlackerCSB
12-18-2012, 08:29 AM
Pretty simple...

We win twice and the Ravens lose twice and we win the division.
We win the next two weeks and we get a wild card spot.
We win against Cincy, and lose in week 17 and Cincy losses in week 17 we get a wild card.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/playoffscenario?algorithm=WinningPct

maddog78
12-18-2012, 08:47 AM
We must win in the 3rd tie-breaker if Balt, Cincy, and Pitt all finish 9-7.

Three or More Clubs

(Note: If two clubs remain tied after third or other clubs are eliminated during any step, tie breaker reverts to step 1 of the two-club format).

Head-to-head (best won-lost-tied percentage in games among the clubs).
Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the division.
Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games.
Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference.
Strength of victory.
Strength of schedule.
Best combined ranking among conference teams in points scored and points allowed.
Best combined ranking among all teams in points scored and points allowed.
Best net points in common games.
Best net points in all games.
Best net touchdowns in all games.
Coin toss

rickpeterman
12-18-2012, 02:10 PM
I think the Ravens win the division if there is a three-way tie or a two-way tie with any team.

They win on division record versus CIN

and they beat out the Steelers on conference record.

Rotorhead
12-18-2012, 02:46 PM
Well they havent locked up the Div yet, so there is at least one scenario where they dont win, but they are assured a playoff spot, so it must be a three way or cincy still has a shot at the div title

Terminator
12-18-2012, 02:56 PM
We will be tied all the way down to conference record, which we got smoked on. It is impossible to win the division. Only Cincy can win it if they win out.

steelerchad
12-18-2012, 03:01 PM
We must win in the 3rd tie-breaker if Balt, Cincy, and Pitt all finish 9-7.

Three or More Clubs

(Note: If two clubs remain tied after third or other clubs are eliminated during any step, tie breaker reverts to step 1 of the two-club format).

Head-to-head (best won-lost-tied percentage in games among the clubs).
Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the division.
Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games.
Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference.
Strength of victory.
Strength of schedule.
Best combined ranking among conference teams in points scored and points allowed.
Best combined ranking among all teams in points scored and points allowed.
Best net points in common games.
Best net points in all games.
Best net touchdowns in all games.
Coin toss

It's actually the first tie-breaker we win in a 3 way tie. The head to head would be our record vs. the Ravens and Bengals. In this scenario we would be 3-1, with a split with the Ravens and a sweep of the Bengals. The Ravens are 2-2 with 2 splits and the Bengals are 1-3.
We take the North in this scenario.

We need a win and a Giants win this upcoming week and then things get fun. If that happens, depending on wk 17 outcomes, we could be:
1. out of the playoffs if the Bengals win and we lose.
2. a Wilcard #6 seed if we win and the Bengals lose or if we lose and the Bengals lose, and the Dolphins lose one of their last 2 games.
3. a AFC N champ and #4 seed if we win and the Ravens lose.
4. there is a way we could end up being the #5 seed if the Colts drop both, the Ravens split, and we win both.

steelfury02
12-18-2012, 03:01 PM
Well they havent locked up the Div yet, so there is at least one scenario where they dont win, but they are assured a playoff spot, so it must be a three way or cincy still has a shot at the div title

If neither get up, it's considered a draw, and Creed will retain the title automatically.

e-dub5912
12-18-2012, 03:12 PM
It's actually the first tie-breaker we win in a 3 way tie. The head to head would be our record vs. the Ravens and Bengals. In this scenario we would be 3-1, with a split with the Ravens and a sweep of the Bengals. The Ravens are 2-2 with 2 splits and the Bengals are 1-3.
We take the North in this scenario.

We need a win and a Giants win this upcoming week and then things get fun. If that happens, depending on wk 17 outcomes, we could be:
1. out of the playoffs if the Bengals win and we lose.
2. a Wilcard #6 seed if we win and the Bengals lose or if we lose and the Bengals lose, and the Dolphins lose one of their last 2 games.
3. a AFC N champ and #4 seed if we win and the Ravens lose.
4. there is a way we could end up being the #5 seed if the Colts drop both, the Ravens split, and we win both.

Exactly right. Just spent 10 minutes playing with the Playoff Scenario Generator on Yahoo. We could host the Colts (best case), or a whole lot of other scenarios. One thing is certain. We must win this week. People are quick to point out the games we lost, well the Bungles lost to the sorry ass Steelers this year :hatsoff:

steelerchad
12-18-2012, 03:17 PM
Exactly right. Just spent 10 minutes playing with the Playoff Scenario Generator on Yahoo. We could host the Colts (best case), or a whole lot of other scenarios. One thing is certain. We must win this week. People are quick to point out the games we lost, well the Bungles lost to the sorry ass Steelers this year :hatsoff:

and they blew the Dallas game at home also. Cincy isn't exactly rolling. The Browns may be the tougher test. I could see us winning both, losing both, or splitting. Nothing would surprise me.

I hate that we're in this position, but we haven't really been over matched all season until the Chargers game. You could have almost flipped a coin in the others with all of them coming down to the 4th quarter or overtime.

Neil-Still-Rules-14
12-18-2012, 03:36 PM
We will be tied all the way down to conference record, which we got smoked on. It is impossible to win the division. Only Cincy can win it if they win out.

Wrong. 2 Steelers wins + 2 Ravens losses = Steelers division title.

steelfury02
12-18-2012, 03:47 PM
I wouldn't want to win the division.

Bruce Arians will surely out coach Haley. :blah:

Terminator
12-18-2012, 05:07 PM
Wrong. 2 Steelers wins + 2 Ravens losses = Steelers division title.

Prove it and I'll eat my words. Cause at the stats I'm looking at now, I am failing to see that at all.

The_Joker
12-18-2012, 05:10 PM
Prove it and I'll eat my words. Cause at the stats I'm looking at now, I am failing to see that at all.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/machine/_/results/321223023~1~321223033~2~321230004~1~321230023~1

In this situation;

Steelers- 3-1 against Ravens/Bengals
Ravens- 2-2 against Steelers/Bengals
Bengals 1-3 against Steelers/Ravens

Rotorhead
12-18-2012, 05:13 PM
Lol, how do they taste?

Hawaii 5-0
12-19-2012, 01:06 AM
Jets eliminated from playoff contention, it'll either be Pittsburgh, Cincinnati or Baltimore as the sixth seed

By Neal Coolong on Dec 18

http://cdn0.sbnation.com/uploads/chorus_image/image/5207399/20121216_mje_sh2_216.0_standard_500.0.jpg

The AFC's last wild card team will be one of three AFC North teams, and there's still a chance Cincinnati or Pittsburgh can win the division if Baltimore continues its epic collapse.

It doesn't take the business's best analyst to determine the most glaring problem with the Steelers in their second half swoon of 2012.

Pittsburgh has managed to turn the ball over 21 times in losing four of their last five games. They've only taken it away six times. They're at -14 in turnover differential this season.

What happened to the ball control team that wasn't turning it over early in the season?

They weren't getting turnovers - and haven't been over their last 31 games, dating back to the start of the 2011 season - but as a team they're displaying as much care and concern for the ball as they do useless ATM receipts.

In the pocket, eventually to the trash, don't mind if it hits the ground at some point in between.

The Jets, a team the Steelers clobbered in Week 2, were eliminated from playoff contention with a 14-10 loss to Tennessee on Monday Night Football in Week 15. Their loss means the three remaining seeds in the playoffs will go to Baltimore (either AFC North division champions or one of the wild card teams), Indianapolis, Pittsburgh or Cincinnati.

Last year, the AFC North became the first team in the league since 2007 to put three of its four teams in the post-season. It's still mathematically possible for that to happen, but it isn't likely.

What also isn't likely is the Steelers advancing to January football if they continue to turn the ball over at the epic rate they're currently suffering. Fumbles as well as interceptions, starting quarterbacks as well as back-ups. They're getting beat on time of possession - which didn't used to happen - consistently, and it's killing the ability of an offense that doesn't score often.

That in turn is putting too much stress on a defense that's decimated by injuries in its secondary and was picked apart by Cowboys quarterback Tony Romo.

Fortunately for the defense, Bengals QB Andy Dalton is no Tony Romo, but the play will be the same; underneath crossing routes, challenge the inexperienced cornerbacks on the outside, and wait for a big play to develop.

They may even take a risk or two (something Dalton is well known for) considering the lack of consistency in which the Steelers offense is mired at this point in the season.

If they can protect the ball, they can beat the Bengals as well as the Browns.

But asking whether they can do that is perfectly valid, even after a start that saw them as one of the least turnover-prone teams in the NFL.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2012/12/18/3779778/afc-playoff-picture-steelers-north-wild-card-scenarios-title