PDA

View Full Version : Jerome Debut (After game thoughts)

TheTruestBlackGoldFan
08-13-2006, 09:31 PM
Jerome was absolutely great. He did a very very good job. I love when he put the ring on. :rolleyes:

pitt
08-13-2006, 10:47 PM
GRRRRRRRRR I missed him .

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
08-13-2006, 10:58 PM
I missed him.....Cant wait to watch him this year, i think he will do a fine job...Hes has a great personality.....Does he do any steelers games this year?

nicesteel4life
08-13-2006, 11:09 PM
Not sure how Cowher liked his debut after all the questions he is gonna get out of it by Bettis saying it's his last year. Wonder what the first question Bill is gonna have to answer at camp tommorrow? HMMMMMM
But other than that Bettis showing his ring off to the Bungals was GREAT! He also spoke well and his was looking like a groomed analyst

Haiku_Dirtt
08-14-2006, 12:11 AM
Not sure how Cowher liked his debut after all the questions he is gonna get out of it by Bettis saying it's his last year. Wonder what the first question Bill is gonna have to answer at camp tommorrow? HMMMMMM
But other than that Bettis showing his ring off to the Bungals was GREAT! He also spoke well and his was looking like a groomed analyst

Jerome of all people should know where to keep the fuel and where to leave the fire.

Mamaduck43
08-14-2006, 12:31 AM
I thought that Jerome did a wonderful job and I was thrilled to see him and realize that I will be able to see him every week.....

Now if I can just get over the fact that I have to put up with Madden and Collingsworth in order to get my weekly 'Bus' fix, I will be fine..... They are disgusting.....

Elvis
08-14-2006, 06:56 AM
Haiku... I agree with you.. but Mamaduck43 I dont agree with you.
I agree that the Bus should not be starting the things that he just started about our coach and I bet ya that the network will tone him down for those comments.
I dont agree that Madden is discusting. The man is so football smart and has so much knowledge of the game that you and everyone else should respect that. These are just my opinions so dont get ticked at me. I know that John can get kind of long talking about certain things but he is very smart about the game so give him a little credit please.

Atlanta Dan
08-14-2006, 07:00 AM
The comments about Cowher are exactly what the network wants out of The Bus.

Rather than tone him down, NBC will encourage Bettis to make candid comments about the NFL in general and the Steelers in particular. One of the raps against ex-players is that they pull their punches when it comes to commenting on former teammates. Saying Cowher is on his way out certainly is contrary to that allegation.

Midnightwriter07
08-14-2006, 07:28 AM
Yesi s what Network wants cause in the papers or interviews it wil all say .. Jerome Bettis, of NBC .....

IS a legit question and is a reasonable response by Bettis. Bettis isnt the only commentator who thinks Cowher is leaving and who has stated so. Just seems more official coming from Bettis since he is an ex player of his. I dont truely think the Rooneys know, and i dont the Cowher himself knows what he wants to do. He has been honest about it and said he wants to take it year to year and see before making another contract .. He stil have two years left mind you. I dont read anything into what Bettis says about it or any other commentator. That is their job ( is one that is no different than any of us giving our opinion on this board day after day . ) It surely doesnt make bettis or anyone else right because they say it.

tony hipchest
08-14-2006, 09:48 AM
from peter kings si "monday morning qb":

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writers/peter_king/08/13/morning/3.html

1. I think Jerome Bettis really upset the apple cart Sunday night on NBC, didn't he? I was with the NBC crew as part of the halftime show and Bettis' statement about feeling that this is Bill Cowher's last year coaching the Steelers really took me by surprise. Not that he thinks this way; I think a lot of people do. But that Bettis, in his first TV experience, had the guts right out of the box on national TV to say he felt Cowher was in his last season with the Steelers. We sat in the NBC production trailer in the fourth quarter, talking about it, when NBC Sports president Dick Ebersol walked in. "Jerome Bettis, journalist!'' Ebersol said. Bettis smiled. He said, "I think Bill's retiring. He talked to me about spending more time with his family and taking some time off from the game. I really think this is his last year in Pittsburgh.'' I asked him if it was tough for him to say it on national TV. And he said he wondered if Cowher would view this as a violation of their relationship, that maybe he shouldn't have revealed what he thought from their conversation. But he said he thought Cowher would be fine with it. Well, I'm going to Steelers camp later on Monday, and I'll be interested to hear how Cowher addresses it. Briefly, Cowher's wife and daughter, a sophomore in high school, have moved to Raleigh, N.C., where the family intends to live. Cowher will stay in Pittsburgh this season, and the family will be reunited at various points during the season. And there has been rampant speculation that Cowher will join them at the end of this season, with the stress of the NFL sideline wearing on him. Let's see how Cowher addresses it today. My guess is he soft-pedals it and says he's made no decision.

BB2W
08-14-2006, 04:35 PM
My friend went to the game and sat in the area that they had the commentators and he said Jerome got alot of heckling from Bengals fans... everything from chanting to name calling and cursing. He's a Bengals fan and said it was pretty sad and he should have called that 1-800-JERK... or whatever.

HometownGal
08-14-2006, 05:51 PM
Ooooo - The Chin isn't too happy with Jerome's comments last night about his possible retirement. Cowher was interviewed after camp (on KDKA just a few minutes ago) and he expressed his unhappiness over those comments and said that he has talked to Jerome about it. He also stated that it put him in a very uncomfortable position. I don't blame him at all for being upset, as much as I love da Bus.

Lyn
08-14-2006, 06:10 PM
The comments about Cowher are exactly what the network wants out of The Bus.

Rather than tone him down, NBC will encourage Bettis to make candid comments about the NFL in general and the Steelers in particular. One of the raps against ex-players is that they pull their punches when it comes to commenting on former teammates. Saying Cowher is on his way out certainly is contrary to that allegation.

You are absolutely 100% correct. Bettis' role has changed, Bettis has a new role now. It is his "job" to bring things to the forefront. Also, it was scripted for him to do. I think that "wondering" about what Bill Cowher is going to do or not going to do is counterproductive and definitely overshadows what the Steelers are suppose to be doing as well as devalues the Super Bowl win. Drop it! If he leaves...he leaves and I, for one, wish him well. The Rooney's will not leave the team without a capable coach.
If he stays... he stays. Didn't say it is wrong, didn't say it was right. It is just how it is. :)

In a perfect world, NBC (to improve their ratings) would like to know all the dirt on all the players that maybe only Bettis knows.

tony hipchest
08-14-2006, 06:19 PM
Ooooo - The Chin isn't too happy with Jerome's comments last night about his possible retirement. Cowher was interviewed after camp (on KDKA just a few minutes ago) and he expressed his unhappiness over those comments and said that he has talked to Jerome about it. He also stated that it put him in a very uncomfortable position. I don't blame him at all for being upset, as much as I love da Bus.from the conversation peter king had with bettis it seemed he may have second guessed putting his thoughts out to the public and hanging his coach out to dry so to speak.

it seems most steelerfans hate analists like shannon sharpe or deionne sanders (even though they really suck) and collinsworth, aikman, esiason, jaworski, m. irvin for gushing over their ex teams. it kinda seems jerome is determined not to be one of those guys.

unfortunately for him i think some fans may be a little put off if he isnt as big of a steelers homer as merril hoge is.

personally i think jerome may have put his new career and landing the scoop, ahead of past loyalties. it seems like cowher spoke to him as jerome the beloved friend and steeler, and not jerome the reporter and analyst. i cant take blame from cowher from speaking freeley though. hes gotta know jerome wants to be the best at no matter what hes doing.

Atlanta Dan
08-14-2006, 06:33 PM
Ooooo - The Chin isn't too happy with Jerome's comments last night about his possible retirement. Cowher was interviewed after camp (on KDKA just a few minutes ago) and he expressed his unhappiness over those comments and said that he has talked to Jerome about it. He also stated that it put him in a very uncomfortable position. I don't blame him at all for being upset, as much as I love da Bus.

The comments on NBC last night were actually milder than the quote attributed to Bettis in a column by Ron Cook in the P-G last week

Bettis still talks to many of the Steelers -- Porter almost every day -- and keeps his finger on the team's pulse. He predicted this will be Bill Cowher's final season as coach. "I think so. I think he wants to recharge his batteries a little and be with his family. His marriage is a big issue with him. He also knows if he retires and teams try to lure him out of retirement, that's when he'll really get the big money. He knows he's not going to get $5 million or $6 million from Pittsburgh. Believe me, he understands the dynamics of the situation." And Cowher's replacement? "I think it will be Whiz [Ken Whisenhunt]," Bettis said. "That's one of the reasons he didn't leave [to take the Oakland Raiders' job]."

http://www.postgazette.com/pg/06218/711452-87.stm

At least last night Bettis did not claim Cowher will never get top dollar as long as he stays in Pittsburgh.

Cowher has every right to step down and announce it when he wants to, but with his wife and remaining live at home daughter moving to Raleigh while he stays in Pittsburgh this season there is definite cause to assume he is heading out.

This story is not going to go away, especially since he has not reciprocated the Rooneys agreement to extend his contract 2 years prior to expiration after a bad season (2003) by doing an extension 2 years prior to the current expiration.

Atlanta Dan
08-14-2006, 06:41 PM
from the conversation peter king had with bettis it seemed he may have second guessed putting his thoughts out to the public and hanging his coach out to dry so to speak.

it seems most steelerfans hate analists like shannon sharpe or deionne sanders (even though they really suck) and collinsworth, aikman, esiason, jaworski, m. irvin for gushing over their ex teams. it kinda seems jerome is determined not to be one of those guys.

unfortunately for him i think some fans may be a little put off if he isnt as big of a steelers homer as merril hoge is.

personally i think jerome may have put his new career and landing the scoop, ahead of past loyalties. it seems like cowher spoke to him as jerome the beloved friend and steeler, and not jerome the reporter and analyst. i cant take blame from cowher from speaking freeley though. hes gotta know jerome wants to be the best at no matter what hes doing.

As far as past loyalties go, Cowher replaced Bettis with Zeroue and then brought in Duce while the Steelers told Bettis to take major cuts on his contract if he wanted to stay on the team. That was fine with me, but it was not as if Bettis was overpaid for old times' sake during his last years with the Steelers.

It clearly all worked out for the best for everyone that Bettis did stay and get the ring, but this is and always has been strictly business - NBC is signing the checks now, not the Rooneys. If Bettis wants a long term TV gig he needs to deliver to NBC and not do what is best for the Steelers in general and Bill Cowher's feelings in particular.

Of course you can bust up long term friendships that way, but what else is new in the world of high paying jobs?

Jeremy
08-14-2006, 06:44 PM
There is a balance between doing your job and staying loyal to the organization which put you in the Hall Of Fame. Terry Bradshaw knows how to walk that line. It remains to be seen if Jerome Bettis can do the same thing.

tony hipchest
08-14-2006, 06:57 PM
but atlanta dan is right. this is a business and jerome is not gonna tip toe around, or come out as the steelers lap dog.

thats not to say if i were jerome i woulda said the same thing. jerome will do just fine without this as his first bit of scoop.

83-Steelers-43
08-15-2006, 05:49 AM
Bettis' comments bother Cowher
Tuesday, August 15, 2006

By Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Jerome Bettis isn't in training camp anymore, but he is still delivering big hits that reverberate through Saint Vincent College in Latrobe.

In his first appearance in his new role as a studio analyst for NBC Sports, Bettis said he believes coach Bill Cowher will retire at the end of the 2006 season, based on a conversation he had with Cowher after the Steelers won the Super Bowl.

Bettis made the comment before Sunday night's nationally televised preseason game between the Cincinnati Bengals and Washington Redskins.

The comments did not sit well with Cowher, who phoned Bettis yesterday and told his former running back he is "very disappointed" about what he said.

"He understands my position and I wanted to make sure he understood it," Cowher said. "I think a lot of people thought he and I have been speaking [a lot]. We haven't been speaking. That was one conversation we had and there was nothing confidential given to him at the time."

In a conversation with studio host Bob Costas during his network TV debut, Bettis said about Cowher's future:

"I really think this is the last year for coach Cowher in Pittsburgh, and I say that because I got the opportunity to talk to him after the season was over, when everything really settled down, and he was a different coach, he was a different guy.

"He was very reflective, talked about his family, talked about spending more time ... after that he bought a house down in Raleigh [N.C.], his daughter enrolled in school there. All that leads to coach not coming back after the season."

Cowher, though, said the conversation took place in March, about a month after the Super Bowl, and that he has "refocused" since then.

Bettis could not be reached for comment.

Cowher has typically received an extension whenever he has two years remaining on his contract, but the Steelers have stopped talking to his agent, Phil DePicciotto, about a new deal. Sources close to the situation have told the Post-Gazette that Cowher has told associates he is considering retirement at the end of the season.

"Jerome and I talked in March, which is about a month after the Super Bowl, and there was no confidential information given," Cowher said. "We were both very reflective at the time. ... We have not talked since then. He has to understand, like anything, this has been a long year, but as you get closer to training camp time has a way of refocusing people.

"Last year was a special year, and you probably do, like anyone normal would do, you reflect. I think, as the time came off, as I got closer to training camp, we had about five weeks off, and by the end of that fifth week I was ready for training camp.

"I've been very focused on getting this football team back this year, and that's where my focus is. I don't like talking about anything other than that, anything personal, because it's about our football team."

Cowher said this is the last time he will publicly discuss his future with the Steelers.

"I think there's been a lot of speculation about my future. I'm here to say once again it's purely that -- speculation. I don't like talking about the contract because we're in camp. I love coaching football. I love coaching here ... and I'm going to leave it at that."

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06227/713550-66.stm

83-Steelers-43
08-15-2006, 06:23 AM
IMO, to keep it short.....

"I'd rather not speculate" would have been the better way to go.

BlackNGold203
08-15-2006, 06:24 AM
Hmmmm...

Jerome trying to start his new gig with a bang maybe????

:cool: :cool:

HometownGal
08-15-2006, 09:51 AM
IMO, to keep it short.....

"I'd rather not speculate" would have been the better way to go.

Agreed.

I tend to liken this to an employee leaving a company and taking on a new job with a "competitor" or a company with the same interests. You don't reveal "trade secrets" with the new company - that, imho, is a bit unprofessional. While I do not believe that Jerome in any way made these comments with any malice, I simply think he could have used better judgment here and could have chosen his words more carefully. It didn't hurt Jerome's relationship with Cowher in the long run and they talked it out, which was the best thing to do in this situation.