PDA

View Full Version : If you could bring back one former Steeler in his prime...

desertsteel
12-19-2012, 11:43 PM
If you could bring back one former Steeler great in his prime and put him on this team, who would it be? Consider all things, like current defensive system, how well the player would do with today's rules, etc.

I think I'd have to go with Jack Lambert.

Hawaii 5-0
12-19-2012, 11:57 PM
If you could bring back one former Steeler great in his prime and put him on this team, who would it be? Consider all things, like current defensive system, how well the player would do with today's rules, etc.

I think I'd have to go with Jack Lambert.

http://sconboy91.files.wordpress.com/2009/11/recently-updated2-2.jpg?w=500

MACH1
12-20-2012, 12:03 AM
Right now today either Rod Woodson or Mel blount

desertsteel
12-20-2012, 12:08 AM
On second thought, maybe I would go with Troy Polamalu in his prime.

teegre
12-20-2012, 12:12 AM
Joe Greene

I remember hearing a story, on Mike & Mike, where Golic was talking about a practice in Miami. Greene was the DL coach, and at some point, the D-linemen pissed off Greene, and Greene lined up across from each of them & knocked them back on their asses, saying "Next!" after each & every one.

As Golic said: if a 45 year old man without pads can knock over a bunch of fully-pasded 25 year olds in their prime... well... I can only imagine how truly dominant Joe Green was in his prime.

[Rod Woodson & Mel Blount are a close second.]

teegre
12-20-2012, 12:13 AM
On second thought, maybe I would go with Troy Polamalu in his prime.

Oh, good one. I was thinking the same thing (although, I'd still take Greene).

Steel Peon
12-20-2012, 12:15 AM
Rod Woodson:thumbsup:
Troy Polamalu:rofl: agree

Can I get a Hines Ward too? :drink:

Fire Arians
12-20-2012, 12:26 AM
rod woodson, no doubt about it, especially with our situation. and if we make the playoffs, im all for having rod as the #1 corner, and ike as #2, what better tandem could be possible?

Lady Steel
12-20-2012, 12:30 AM
1. Jack Lambert

2. John Stallworth/Lynn Swann (they could actually catch the ball :laughing: )

3. Rocky Bleier

Hell, just bring back the entire 70's team. :chuckle:

teegre
12-20-2012, 12:34 AM
what better tandem could be possible?

Rod Woodson & Mel Blount. :wink02:

Fire Arians
12-20-2012, 12:35 AM
Rod Woodson & Mel Blount. :wink02:

blount would be ejected in the 1st quarter, woodson would still be able to play his way and be effective in this era

besides we were bringing back 1 former steeler, not 2

teegre
12-20-2012, 12:38 AM
blount would be ejected in the 1st quarter, woodson would still be able to play his way and be effective in this era

besides we were bringing back 1 former steeler, not 2

True... but, that would still be a great tandem.

Fire Arians
12-20-2012, 12:39 AM
True... but, that would still be a great tandem.

no doubt, i agree 100%

ETL
12-20-2012, 01:17 AM
Weegie Thompson

(No doubt about it)

Hawaii 5-0
12-20-2012, 01:31 AM
Weegie Thompson

(No doubt about it)

I was thinking Jamain Stephens, Huey Richardson, Ricardo Colclough or Scott Shields...:tt03:

bornaSteelersfan
12-20-2012, 01:58 AM
Jerome Bettis

Fire Arians
12-20-2012, 02:01 AM
I was thinking Jamain Stephens, Huey Richardson, Ricardo Colclough or Scott Shields...:tt03:

TIM WORELY!

Fire Arians
12-20-2012, 02:02 AM
actually wait, if i pick heath miller, does that mean we can have 2 of them? if that's the case i might reconsider my pick lol

Hawaii 5-0
12-20-2012, 02:02 AM
Jerome Bettis

that's a great choice! :drink: :thumbsup:

ZoneBlitzer
12-20-2012, 02:55 AM
Rod Woodson. They need someone who can pick off the ball ATM.

Bayz101
12-20-2012, 03:09 AM
Greatest defensive lineman of all-time, Mean Joe Greene.

TRH
12-20-2012, 03:40 AM
I'd like to have Greg Lloyd around - just for the sheer intensity. We're completely missing that right now. I don't think anyone would want to f**k up or they'd have to answer to him!

Rick5895
12-20-2012, 04:48 AM
At first thought I would have said wither Greene or Lambert, but considering our secondary woes, I would pick Mel Blount. Remember they changed the rules because of him, in the middle of his career. He still went to pro bowls and made all pro after the changed the rules. In my mind, no greater Steeler DB ( sorry Rod, you were great but Mel was the best)

WVABE
12-20-2012, 06:24 AM
One of the Jax, either one doesn't matter.

FrancoLambert
12-20-2012, 06:35 AM
Joe Greene.
We need a lineman who can dominate up front, demand double-teaming, and rush the QB.

Millers the sh!t
12-20-2012, 06:52 AM
The bus, Woodson, or Kevin green.

Not sure if lambert would be effective in today's NFL.

steelfury02
12-20-2012, 07:31 AM
Jack Ham would fit nicely. Read plays extremely well, speed (big one for today's game) and made some huge defensive plays over his career - could use some more of that. The fact that he started as a rookie and only missed 4 games in 10 seasons means durability (something I'd love to see more of - although the size of players now I think has a huge impact on that compared to the 70s Steelers who at least to me, seemed more lean than "big".)

steeltheone
12-20-2012, 08:51 AM
Darmonti Dawson .... Not of our lineman are even in the same league as this guy.

Rod Woodson or Greg Lloyd

Darkstorm05
12-20-2012, 08:53 AM
Joe Greene

I remember hearing a story, on Mike & Mike, where Golic was talking about a practice in Miami. Greene was the DL coach, and at some point, the D-linemen pissed off Greene, and Greene lined up across from each of them & knocked them back on their asses, saying "Next!" after each & every one.

As Golic said: if a 45 year old man without pads can knock over a bunch of fully-pasded 25 year olds in their prime... well... I can only imagine how truly dominant Joe Green was in his prime.

Greene was a beast. I've been watching games from the 70's for the last week, and it's crazy how dominant Mean Joe was. There's quite a few snaps where he lines up working against a double team, and simply explodes out of his stance and pancakes both of his guys, and sometimes pushes back a 3rd as well. Seeing him consistently drive the center into the guard and tackle both, single handedly crushing the entire side of the pocket is crazy.

Atlanta Dan
12-20-2012, 08:55 AM
Jack Ham

lipps83
12-20-2012, 08:57 AM
Joe Greene without a doubt. He was the turning point for a pitiful franchise and while the Steelers have had unsurpassed success since then, he could turn this thing around again.

Steelerindc
12-20-2012, 09:08 AM
I would like to see:

1) Rod Woodson

2) Greg Loyd

3) Jerome Bettis

maddog78
12-20-2012, 09:14 AM
Joe Greene. The front four made the LBs look better than they were. They were always clean.

sloppyjoe
12-20-2012, 09:48 AM
joey porter

Men of Steel
12-20-2012, 09:52 AM
Mean Joe Greene.

He alone is the reason the Steelers fortunes turned around in the 70's. I honestly believe the havoc he created up front made every single other player on that team, much better.
The toughness and mentality he brough spread through the team.

And I truly believe he could do the same with our team today.

4xSBChamps
12-20-2012, 09:58 AM
Joe Greene without a doubt. He was the turning point for a pitiful franchise and while the Steelers have had unsurpassed success since then, he could turn this thing around again.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y272/Glensgages/football/JoeGreenerookieyear.jpg

he simply would not allow the stupid, lackadaisical, and under-achieving play
we've seen from this talented group the last 2 seasons to exist in his locker-room

SteelersCanada
12-20-2012, 10:05 AM
All the obvious ones have been said, so I'll go in a different direction.

Give me Joey Porter or LaMarr Woodley before his hammy injury against the Patriots. Remember him before that injury? I'd love for him to return to that form.

desertsteel
12-20-2012, 10:20 AM
Are we going to line Joe up on the inside or on the edge?

4xSBChamps
12-20-2012, 10:38 AM
Are we going to line Joe up on the inside or on the edge?

inside ~ he would threaten the center of the pocket & tie-up a pair of blockers on every pass-play, and his speed would allow him to range sideline-to-sideline on the rare rushing attempt

4xSBChamps
12-20-2012, 11:59 AM
I forwarded this topic to Pittsburgh sports-talk icon Stan Savran, who thought this would be worthy of his discussion on the show Friday 21 December, 10:00 AM - noon EST

http://www.iheart.com/#/live/2013/?autoplay=true

although he gave 'me' credit for the idea, I supplied him with the link to this thread

casteeler
12-20-2012, 12:11 PM
Hines. This Recieving Group the Steelers have now need leadership plus I loved to watch Hines destroy guys

madtowndrunkard
12-20-2012, 12:28 PM
The obvious choice would be a number of players from the 70's teams... I just don't think most of them could stand up physically against the players of today. I'm not hacking on their abilities..it's all relative...they were for sure of of the best players to ever play the game... but for today's game My choice in order:

Rod Woodson - the thought of Troy, Hope, Ike, and Rod in our secondary...WOW!

Jerome Bettis - He alone would turn our offense around... with out a doubt

Hines Ward - We have no clutch players other then Ben on offense... Ward would fill that HUGE need...and he's also a much needed leader with a physical presence that can break defense...he's the Bettis of WR's.

cbrunn
12-20-2012, 12:52 PM
The obvious choice would be a number of players from the 70's teams... I just don't think most of them could stand up physically against the players of today. I'm not hacking on their abilities..it's all relative...they were for sure of of the best players to ever play the game... but for today's game My choice in order:

:thumbsup: ...

PPL love to live in the golden days ... now they were great when they played but the game has evolved

my choice would be Joey Porter ... I just love the attitude and the bad boy you aint going to fuck with us swagger he brought ... oh man I miss that and I think the D misses that

the story where he wanted to fight Ray Lewis :tt02:

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/ron-cook/porters-loyalty-teamwork-memorable-645468/

#2 would be Rod Woodson ... obvious reasons ... not saying Joey Porter is better then Rob , just saying I think this team is missing that attitude

steelfury02
12-20-2012, 01:11 PM

Rod Woodson - the thought of Troy, Hope, Ike, and Rod in our secondary...WOW!

Jerome Bettis - He alone would turn our offense around... with out a doubt

Hines Ward - We have no clutch players other then Ben on offense... Ward would fill that HUGE need...and he's also a much needed leader with a physical presence that can break defense...he's the Bettis of WR's.

Hines circa 2001 - 2009, possession receivers are hard to come by these days

Stu Pidasso
12-20-2012, 01:37 PM
JOHN KUHN

JeromeBetties63
12-20-2012, 01:46 PM
This should be an offseason thread.

Hawaii 5-0
12-20-2012, 01:56 PM
I would like to see:

1) Rod Woodson

2) Greg Loyd

3) Jerome Bettis

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_R57vNVIRmpg/SonKEqdKMVI/AAAAAAAAADc/YTiVMw8nPW0/s400/Lloyd2.jpg

desertsteel
12-20-2012, 02:00 PM
This should be an offseason thread.

You're probably right, but with so much going wrong with the team right now and so many wannabe GMs on this board I thought it would be fun to try to fix the team with one guy from the past....

BowCatShot
12-20-2012, 02:05 PM
You didn't specify Steeler Player, you just said Steeler, therefore I'd bring back Chuck Noll.

desertsteel
12-20-2012, 02:06 PM
I agree that Joey in his prime would do wonders for this defense, physically and emotionally.

And a few have named the Bus since we lack in the running game, but no one has named Franco. Is it a consensus on here the Bus is above Franco as the all-time Steeler great at RB? That would be a tough call for me. I would like to have either on this team right now. Dwyer looked good a couple of times but I don't know what's up with his happy feet dance moves as he hits the line. We need a back with conviction, cut and burst.

steeltheone
12-20-2012, 02:07 PM
Hines. This Recieving Group the Steelers have now need leadership plus I loved to watch Hines destroy guys

We have a team full of vets and that's what coaches get paid for, leadership. Paying a wideout 42 million, plus another one who wants more, you would hope they are leaders by themselves.

Hines was an animal and played to his full potential since day 1!

desertsteel
12-20-2012, 02:07 PM
You didn't specify Steeler Player, you just said Steeler, therefore I'd bring back Chuck Noll.

Yeah? What changes would Noll make to the lineup (as a starting point)?

steeltheone
12-20-2012, 02:13 PM

It would start in the offseason, players would tow the line!

wootawnee
12-20-2012, 02:37 PM
Joe or Franco....

RichardCullinanForever
12-20-2012, 02:47 PM
Troy, no doubt.

eafratitpm3
12-20-2012, 03:02 PM
Chuck Noll, too much talent on this team. Two things this team needs is to play every snap with passion, not take plays off and leave it up to the other guy. Discipline is a huge problem with this group, too many penalties and way to many turnovers. NUFF SAID!!!!!!!

Cyphon
12-20-2012, 03:09 PM
My top choices would be Troy P and Hines Ward.

Troy P

I probably take him overall because a healthy Troy playing at the top of his game is not only one of the greatest players we have ever had but maybe one of the greatest overall talents in the history of the NFL. With him you get a great run stopper, pretty good cover guy and one of the best we could have for the splash plays our team is missing. INT's and causing fumbles as well as breaking up plays. There is nobody all around better for sure.

On top of it all there is proof of the difference he made on our team from back in his prime time. You can look at our record and turnover differential from when he was healtyh compared to when he was out. He made a world of difference for our team.

Hines

Hines I take for slightly different reasons than Troy. Yeah he was a great player and our best receiver ever. What I want him for though, is his leadership, attitude and the spark he brings to the team. We severely lack the effort or spark that he had and he could certainly provide it. With his impact blocks and knocking people out. He just brings something more. Of course there is the playoff experience as well and things like that. He was also a fan favorite and get an extra boost from them.

I thought about this pretty quickly but I am not sure there is 1 I would consider over either of those 2. I think Troy is my main choice though.

Fire Arians
12-20-2012, 03:13 PM
bubby brister

Riddle_Of_Steel
12-20-2012, 03:18 PM
bubby brister

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Actually, I guess he was never as bad as some made him out to be, but....he was the Steelers QB when I was just getting old enough to understand the game, and what a disappointing era in Steelers football that was.

Riddle_Of_Steel
12-20-2012, 03:19 PM
With all of our Cornerback woes-- Rod Woodson without a doubt.

Polamalu at a close second.

ZIGGY0246
12-20-2012, 03:55 PM
HOW ABOUT DICK LE BEAU AND PUT HIM OUT ON THE FIELD NEVER PLAYED HERE BUT WITH HIS INSIDE KNOWLEDGE OF THE DEFENSE WE MIGHT PICK OFF A FEW INT'S

teegre
12-20-2012, 04:02 PM
The obvious choice would be a number of players from the 70's teams... I just don't think most of them could stand up physically against the players of today. I'm not hacking on their abilities..it's all relative...they were for sure of of the best players to ever play the game...

I hear what you are saying. Modern medicine and weight training and such have made today's athletes phenominal... and light-years beyond the 70s.

BUT...

I still say that Joe Green could play today (maybe DE instead of DT). I am confident in this, because of what I posted on the first page (about the 45 year old coach, in Miami, knocking the snot out of his players).

Also, I think that Jack Ham would excel in the pass-oriented NFL. Ray Lewis just this season passed Jack Ham for "all-time INT by a LB." It took Ray Lewis 16 years ot accomplish what Ham did in 10 years... and there were far, far less opportunities for Ham ot make those INTs (less passing in the 70s).

Lastly, Mel Blount could play with anybody... but, as Fire Arians said, he'd probably get kicked out, or fined, or suspended (for being too physical).

Stlrs4Life
12-20-2012, 04:15 PM
Easy one, Jack Lambert!

Steel_Bus_24
12-20-2012, 04:33 PM
right now rod woodson would help out a ton

VictoryFormation
12-20-2012, 05:13 PM
This is a good thread.
I see that there are a lot of votes to bring Jack Lambert back. In the early 1980’s, after most of the, Hall of Fame, members of the original Steel Curtain were past their prime, or were retired, Jack Lambert was the anchor of the Steeler defense. He was in on nearly every play, and he moved the entire defense into giving 100% on every down. When Lambert had ongoing problems with his Turf Toe injury, and he would miss games, the play of the defense dropped off. When Lambert came back, and played for a game, or two, it was like a different team out there. There is no doubt that the Steelers of today would benefit from a player like Jack Lambert.

On offense, Franco Harris would be a fine addition at running back. He is a man that shared carries with the half-back, but still rushed for over a thousand yards in eight straight seasons. Franco would probably get the job done better than anybody they have, right now.
A wide receiver with the pass catching abilities of Lynn Swann, or the sure hands, and break away ability of John Stallworth, catching passes from Ben Roethlisberger, could have turned this season around.

pittpete
12-20-2012, 05:22 PM
Joe Greene

yupp, MJG

tanda10506
12-20-2012, 05:32 PM
I hear what you are saying. Modern medicine and weight training and such have made today's athletes phenominal... and light-years beyond the 70s.

BUT...

I still say that Joe Green could play today (maybe DE instead of DT). I am confident in this, because of what I posted on the first page (about the 45 year old coach, in Miami, knocking the snot out of his players).

Also, I think that Jack Ham would excel in the pass-oriented NFL. Ray Lewis just this season passed Jack Ham for "all-time INT by a LB." It took Ray Lewis 16 years ot accomplish what Ham did in 10 years... and there were far, far less opportunities for Ham ot make those INTs (less passing in the 70s).

Lastly, Mel Blount could play with anybody... but, as Fire Arians said, he'd probably get kicked out, or fined, or suspended (for being too physical).

I agree that Mean Joe, Lambert, and Mel Blount could definitely hold up in today's game. Also, to add another angle to it, if Lambert or Mean Joe were in there prime now, that would put them at a young age, which would mean that they would be bigger and stronger due to the extra weight lifting and modern medicine.

Sticking with the way the question was intended, I would likely say Polamalu. Wow has he dropped off. Not that he's not a good player now, but he may be the biggest play maker EVER at SS. Maybe not the best SS all around, but who made as many plays from the SS position as Troy? I don't know how we are doing statistically with turnover's but it doesn't look good, and last year we were last place. Having Lambert or Mean Joe back in their prime would be great and would definitely help, but if Troy was making the plays like he was in 2006-2010, we probably would have won a few more games this year and overall we would be a better team.

4xSBChamps
12-20-2012, 06:37 PM
not-only that, but Stabby Stabberson's entire career has been played with 16 regular season games, while half of Ham's days were spent playing 14 per year

from what I can find on-line, Ham had 32 picks in 162 games (every 5th game), while the Shank has 31 in 228, one every 7th game

teegre
12-20-2012, 06:45 PM
not-only that, but Stabby Stabberson's entire career has been played with 16 regular season games, while half of Ham's days were spent playing 14 per year

from what I can find on-line, Ham had 32 picks in 162 games (every 5th game), while the Shank has 31 in 228, one every 7th game

That part made me laugh.

For a friend's wedding, I got them a set a knives, and on each one, I had engraved: "Proprty of Ray Lewis."

Really though, it is amazing how good Jack Ham was... when juxtaposed with how great people consider The Stabber.

zcoop
12-20-2012, 07:22 PM
<------------------------------------------------------- Donnie Shell

Or Levon Kirkland

teegre
12-20-2012, 07:30 PM

Or Levon Kirkland

Interesting & original.

Why? and Why?

zcoop
12-20-2012, 07:47 PM
Interesting & original.

Why? and Why?

B4 Woodson, Donnie was our premiere Safety. This cat had the nerve to challange Earl Campbell head on. Mike Haynes and Lester Hayes didn't even do that.

Kirkland just played lights out football.

Fire Arians
12-20-2012, 07:50 PM

Or Levon Kirkland

forgot about levon, that's a good choice. him & timmons would be beastly

teegre
12-20-2012, 08:26 PM
B4 Woodson, Donnie was our premiere Safety. This cat had the nerve to challange Earl Campbell head on. Mike Haynes and Lester Hayes didn't even do that.

Kirkland just played lights out football.

I still have my Kirkland jersey. Man, I loved that guy.

Lizard72
12-20-2012, 09:44 PM
Woodson probably would be most useful right now. He was a playmaker at Safety and Corner. With him on the field it would seriously impact the defense and what they could do against opposing offenses.

I do love Kirkland though. Was my first jersey purchase and still have that faded thing! Man that guy was a beast!

Hell any of those linebackers from the 90's (Lloyd, Kirkland, Greene, Porter in his prime) Those guys had fire and intensity to get the rest of the defense up!

BowCatShot
12-20-2012, 09:55 PM

All I know is this. When Noll took over he inherited a lackadaizical bunch of slovenly loser dunderheads and turned them into 4 time superbowl champions. I'm not as smart as he is so I don't know exactly what he'd do but what a record he has. The Steelers today aren't as bad as what he started with but they're close.

desertsteel
12-20-2012, 11:38 PM
All I know is this. When Noll took over he inherited a lackadaizical bunch of slovenly loser dunderheads and turned them into 4 time superbowl champions. I'm not as smart as he is so I don't know exactly what he'd do but what a record he has. The Steelers today aren't as bad as what he started with but they're close.
According to one guy in this thread, having a great record with an extremely talented team doesn't mean anything (his knock on Tomlin). The Steelers of the 70s were immensely more talented than this team.

Noll went 1-13, 5-9 and 6-8 his first 3 seasons and didn't get to the Super Bowl until his 6th season. I'm sure that lots of fans were saying that he couldn't get it done just like they do Tomlin now. And Noll didn't have the legacy of the past to live up to. Tomlin has taken this team to 2 Super Bowls. I refuse to discredit that. The only thing I'll say against Tomlin at this point is that his rhetoric is getting old. Tired of hearing it. Just get it done and stop worrying about how eloquent you sound.

SteelersCanada
12-21-2012, 12:16 AM
According to one guy in this thread, having a great record with an extremely talented team doesn't mean anything (his knock on Tomlin). The Steelers of the 70s were immensely more talented than this team.

I agree with everything else you said about Tomlin. People need to realize he's not going anywhere and nor should he.

However, regarding the 70s team - are they really immensely better than this team? On defense, sure, I'll give that to you. On offense? No - definitely not. We have a better quarterback and now - arguably with DD and our tackles healthy - better offensive line. On top of that, we have a better overall offensive threat. Sure, Harris + Stallworth and Swann was a three-headed beast, but our offense has better weapons when their heads aren't up their asses. Miller, Brown, Sanders, Wallace, Mendenhall and Roethlisberger make up for a pretty scary offense when it's clicking. Unfortunately it hasn't been for a while now and 7-7 is the end result.

I'd say this team on offense is better than the one we had in the 70s, and with the right draft picks addressing the correct needs, our D could be too.

Hawaii 5-0
12-21-2012, 12:53 AM
I'd say this team on offense is better than the one we had in the 70s

you can't possibly be serious, saying that this offense is better than the ones we had in the 70s?

Bradshaw, Harris, Fuqua, Bleier, Grossman, Swann, Stallworth and Shanklin vs Ben, Mendenhall, Dwyer, Will Johson, Miller, Wallace, Brown and Sanders?

and the OL combination of Larry Brown,Steve Courson, Mike Webster Sam Davis, Gerry Mullins and Jon Kolb is way better than whatever combination of OL we've put on the field this season.

steeltheone
12-21-2012, 06:14 AM
you can't possibly be serious, saying that this offense is better than the ones we had in the 70s?

Bradshaw, Harris, Fuqua, Bleier, Grossman, Swann, Stallworth and Shanklin vs Ben, Mendenhall, Dwyer, Will Johson, Miller, Wallace, Brown and Sanders?

and the OL combination of Larry Brown,Steve Courson, Mike Webster Sam Davis, Gerry Mullins and Jon Kolb is way better than whatever combination of OL we've put on the field this season.

Don't forget Bennie Cunningham! To think this team is better in any phase of the game is just crazy.

lardlad
12-21-2012, 06:51 AM
The way things are now. I'd say the Bus. If we had the bus right now, we win out.

teegre
12-21-2012, 08:27 AM
AVOID LLOYD
I'm surprised that only one person has mentioned Greg Lloyd.

I might be biased, because he was/is my all-time favorite player, but I think that he was better than Joey Porter, Levon Kirkland, & Kevin Greene.

Heck, I'd say that he's on par with the Jacks (and, personally, I'd say better).

Teams game-planned specifically against him.

I hear a lot about needing Joey's passion... and maybe Greg was a little "too" passionate (Greg was crazy), but he would definitely whip this team into shape.

I remember once, when the offense was struggling, Greg ran into the offensive huddle (which drew a 12 men penalty), told the entire offense "Score the f*ckin' ball!!!", and then walked to the end of the field, standing alone, for the remainder of that drive. Passionate indeed (crazy, too).

BELL
No one has mentioned Kendrell Bell. In his prime (for one season), he was phenomenal. Imagine him alongside of Timmons.

STILL...
Gotta go with Mean Joe... (or, possibly Woodson or Blount).

I was bringing up some players for discussion.

VaDave
12-21-2012, 09:13 AM
As much as we love our 70's players, with the exception Ham, Bradshaw, Greene, Blount, very few would make it today in the position they played mainly because most of them would be way too small, and slow.

Greene undoubtedly would be a DE today, Bradshaw, with his 50% or there about completion rate, might get in a game or two. Ham would be a weak side OLB. Blount would play, but might be relegated to safety.

Now if we are going to add current training and nutritional advances to this hypothetical, maybe a few more may make the list like Lambert. At at his playing weight at 210 LBS ( and I'm being generous here, look at some pictures with him and Blount standing together) would get squashed @ ILB.

Ah yes, my choice. Woodson, I still say the best athlete-player we ever had. But if you want a guy who would be useful with the team today, Gerry Mullins, the man that made our traps legendary.

BowCatShot
12-21-2012, 09:16 AM

Noll went 1-13, 5-9 and 6-8 his first 3 seasons and didn't get to the Super Bowl until his 6th season. I'm sure that lots of fans were saying that he couldn't get it done just like they do Tomlin now. And Noll didn't have the legacy of the past to live up to. Tomlin has taken this team to 2 Super Bowls. I refuse to discredit that. The only thing I'll say against Tomlin at this point is that his rhetoric is getting old. Tired of hearing it. Just get it done and stop worrying about how eloquent you sound.

You could clearly see the progress that Noll was making during his building process. The only thing that you can clearly see in the Tomlin process is the increase in disarray, confusion, malaise and underachievement. You can clearly see this that is unless you just refuse to admit that the (current) emperor has no clothes. Vince Lombardi was heard to say "Chuck Noll is putting together one hell of a football team in Pittsburgh". You heard anyone say that about Tomlin? No you haven't and you won't. This guy (Tomlin) is a big fat fraud.

4xSBChamps
12-21-2012, 09:45 AM
You could clearly see the progress that Noll was making during his building process. The only thing that you can clearly see in the Tomlin process is the increase in disarray, confusion, malaise and underachievement. You can clearly see this that is unless you just refuse to admit that the (current) emperor has no clothes. Vince Lombardi was heard to say "Chuck Noll is putting together one hell of a football team in Pittsburgh". You heard anyone say that about Tomlin? No you haven't and you won't. This guy (Tomlin) is a big fat fraud.
I'm as big a Noll-supporter as you will find, as he is clearly the most-important man in changing the franchise's fortunes(I spent many Summer days at Latrobe, watching practices, long-before the team qualified for the playoffs in 1972), but I question if today's game (pass-n-tab ~ OL with little technique ~ finesse, speed & fluidity over brawn, intelligence & discipline, etc.) has passed his ways by:
would he still be drafting smallish, quick-footed OL to run his trap-blocking offensive systems, when the 'slob-sweep' is in favor, when a team does decide to run the ball?

Noll relied on people & players who were motivated from-inside (something many current players lack), then coaching them to become better players
today's coaches must be equal-parts cheer-leader, ego-stroker, head-shrinker before they begin to discuss X's & O's

desertsteel
12-21-2012, 01:31 PM

Chuck Noll also had the luxary of being able to "build" a team without free agency dismantling it. Noll is the greatest coach in Steelers history but let's not forget how the game has changed.

And 90% of teams would jump at the "disarray" we've had the past few years.

steeltheone
12-21-2012, 01:31 PM
Hines circa 2001 - 2009, possession receivers are hard to come by these days

Sad part is, even in 2010 Hines put up as good of numbers as the young money punks we got now.

desertsteel
12-21-2012, 01:56 PM
This guy (Tomlin) is a big fat fraud.

That's your opinion. Just for fun, let's take a look at how the rest of the football world ranks him.

NFL .com Head Coach Power Rankings (April 2012)
1. Belichick
2. Coughlin
3. McCarthy
4. Tomlin

Sporting News (May 2012)
1. Coughlin
2. Belichick
3. McCarthy
4. Tomlin

Athlon Sports (Sept 2012)
1. Belichick
2. Jim Harbaugh
3. McCarthy
4. Coughlin
5. Payton
6. Tomlin

ESPN (Apr 2011)
1. Belichick
2. Tomlin
3. Reid
4. McCarthy
5. Payton

Obviously, the panel of experts that these outlets used thought a little higher of Tomlin than you.

FrancoLambert
12-21-2012, 03:50 PM
Teegre,

Lloyd is equal to the 2 Jacks or BETTER? :doh:

Fire Arians
12-21-2012, 04:07 PM
possible, if lloyd played in the 70's he would have murdered people

teegre
12-21-2012, 04:12 PM
Teegre,

Lloyd is equal to the 2 Jacks or BETTER? :doh:

Remember, I prefaced that by admitting:
I might be biased, because he was/is my all-time favorite player.

My dad swears it's Ham. My brother avows that it is Lambert. And, I tried to "be" Lloyd (Lloyd was prominent when I was in that very impressionable age). Make sense?

It's kind of like how my dad swear by Franco. My brother-in-law loves The Bus. And, my wife's best friend's husband is all about Rocky.

Bias... plain & simple.

austinfrench76
12-21-2012, 06:24 PM
Rod Woodson becasue of the length of our drought in regards to actual SHUT DOWN CB's. Ike has been very good but with Rod we would have been nd would be amazing in the defensive backfield.

harrison'samonster
12-21-2012, 07:47 PM
I would have to go with Woodson if I could only get one pick. And since we seem to be having trouble converting short passes and 3rd downs all of a sudden, if I got extra picks I would pick Ward followed by Eric Green.

nj1923steelgirl
12-21-2012, 07:50 PM
Mean Joe Greene!

jiminpa
12-21-2012, 10:53 PM
Tossup for me. Terry Bradshaw or Rod Woodson.

CanuckCurtain
12-22-2012, 02:03 AM
Rod Woodson! and not because i got his autograph about a month ago either:chuckle:

cubanstogie
12-22-2012, 09:33 AM
[QUOTE=desertsteel;1067300]That's your opinion. Just for fun, let's take a look at how the rest of the football world ranks him.

NFL .com Head Coach Power Rankings (April 2012)
1. Belichick
2. Coughlin
3. McCarthy
4. Tomlin

Sporting News (May 2012)
1. Coughlin
2. Belichick
3. McCarthy
4. Tomlin

Athlon Sports (Sept 2012)
1. Belichick
2. Jim Harbaugh
3. McCarthy
4. Coughlin
5. Payton
6. Tomlin

ESPN (Apr 2011)
1. Belichick
2. Tomlin
3. Reid
4. McCarthy
5. Payton

Obviously, the panel of experts that these outlets used thought a little higher of Tomlin than you.[/QUOTE
I spit my coffee out when I saw Andy Reid on there. ESPN has their head up their a$$.T

desertsteel
12-22-2012, 10:08 AM
Andy Reid is a great coach. It's just time for him to move on.

bornaSteelersfan
12-23-2012, 04:49 AM
Many of these are good choices, but what we really needed in most of the losses this year was a few more first downs.

Any defensive player would not really make that much of a difference on our already #1 (rated) defense. Sure, maybe a couple more take aways, but our offense struggled far too often to take advantage of those this season.

We already have great receivers and a great QB, not much help there. You could say Franco, but he always ran out of bounds instead of "knocking heads" (no intimidation factor there). There really is only one choice...Jerome Bettis.

With The Bus, we could have gotten a few extra first downs this season as well as a few TD's. All those players were great, but THIS year, in THIS season, no one would have been more valuable than Bettis.

steelermania
12-23-2012, 07:17 PM
Franco running out of bounds all the time is so much bullshit. Franco occasionally ran out of bounds. This was always in a situation where he was running near the sideline, had already gotten a first down, and a couple of linebackers were in position to lay some extra licks on him. Franco never ran out of bounds on short yardage plays. Franco missed very few games in his career, and is in reasonably good shape for a 60+ year old, who played 13 years in the NFL. Earl Campbell, who regularly fought for every yard, even with three men hanging off of him, took too many unnecessary blows from defenders, and wore himself out in half a decade, harming his team, and his health, as he is now a 50 something, 80 year old man.

VictoryFormation
12-23-2012, 07:57 PM
Bring Back Francoooooo!!

A player can't gain over 12,000 yards in his career by running out of bounds.

http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/360085/Franco_Six.jpg

steelfury02
12-23-2012, 08:01 PM
Ben Roethlisberger.

4xSBChamps
12-23-2012, 08:16 PM
... Franco never ran out of bounds on short yardage plays. Franco missed very few games in his career...

excellent first post
:tt02:

Franco may've stepped out-of-bounds when near the sideline, but only-after he had gained the yardage needed, and he saved himself from numerous unnecessary hits & injuries
had he not suffered what I recall to be a late-hit / cheap shot against Baltimore (Joe Earhmann jumped on an already-prone Harris?) in the '76 playoffs and missed the AFC Championship Game the following week, 'em Stillers probably would've won SB11, too

I grew-up enjoying seeing films of Jim Brown, and watching Larry Csonka bulldoze defenders, and the neanderthal in me wished to see Harris do that on-occasion, but it was also nice to see a healthy #32 week-in & week-out, too

bornaSteelersfan
12-24-2012, 06:41 AM
Yes, Franco stayed healthy, but I would still have taken Bettis in his prime for this season. Back on topic.