PDA

View Full Version : Mock

cbrunn
12-21-2012, 12:30 PM
Couldn't sleep last night, so figured why not

right now I'm pretty sure power rankings would have us picking 17th

1st - TRADE W/ Chicago ... They want to move up to get their heir to Urlacher in Alec Ogeltree ... We get their 2nd and next year first ... so they can still draft a OT with their 1st this year ... and we get an extra 1st next year in what seems to be a loaded draft with these juniors going back to college (Louis Nix , CJ Mosley , Anthony Barr), gives us flexibility to trade up and secure one , or stay put and draft BPA

2nd - Kyle Van Noy - OLB - BYU
ok maybe this is a little over reaction to the game tonight ... but the kid impressed me, and could actually slip into the 1st round conversation depending on his workouts if he declares

2nd (Chicago) - Bacarri Rambo - FS - Georgia
crossing my fingers that Tomlin takes a chance on this kid ... one of my favorite players in the draft

3rd - Shawn Williams - SS - Georgia
why not keep these two playing together??

4th - Kenjon Barner - RB - Oregon
Speed, Speed, Speed ... catches , shows much more strength and harder running style since early in his career , I think this could be a steal here in the 4th ... just watch the USC game film if any questions about him ... maybe not a 20+ carry a game back, but who is in todays NFL? ... Him and Dywer could be a hell of a change of pace duo ... remember Dywer is still only 23, so it's just like he's a rookie and can only get better the more serious he takes the off season

5th - Aaron Mellette - WR - Elon
6'3 big body receiver with crazy production ... is invited to the senior bowl so his stock could rise depending how well he performs

6th - Josh Johnson - CB - Purdue
a CB that isn't afraid to help out in run support ... depth

7th - Phillip Steward - LB - Houston
Depth , great pass coverage LB ... and had 11 sacks this year when asked to rush the QB ... sleeper pick

teegre
12-21-2012, 12:43 PM
I don't mind trading back.

I also like the idea of getting players who've played together. Porter & Haggans worked out well.

All of that said, I prefer Matt Elam. He's my guy.

cbrunn
12-21-2012, 03:16 PM
I don't mind trading back.

I also like the idea of getting players who've played together. Porter & Haggans worked out well.

All of that said, I prefer Matt Elam. He's my guy.

Yeah I understand ... only problem is , is he worth a late middle first round pick? ... some have him going late 1st others have him gone early 2nd others have him gone late 2nd ... and he might not even declare for the draft yet

He is my first safety on my board though ... and wouldn't be mad at the pick

I really like the idea of Anthony Barr in the black and yellow and if he goes back to school , hasn't exactly decided yet, but looks like he's leaning towards going back... he'll probably go top 10 , so I like the idea of having 2 1st to be able to trade up and get him

cbrunn
12-21-2012, 05:07 PM
Nothing Concrete yet but it looks like Elam is leaning towards staying ... even more reason to get the extra pick next year ... a combination of Anthony Barr / CJ Mosely and Matt Elam next year paired with Kyle Van Noy and Bacarri Rambo this year , I'd be happy

http://www.gatorcountry.com/football/article/sources_easley_elam_to_return_next_season/15828

teegre
12-21-2012, 07:04 PM
If Elam goes back, then he'll likely go even higher next year.

That said, I see him at 32-45ish. So, with the trade back with Chicago, that might be about right. Make sense?

But, again, if he goes back to school & waits for next year, I see him going 25-32... with the Steelers taking him at 32.

I could wait a year for him. He's the bee's knees... ankles & toes.

SteelersCanada
12-22-2012, 12:30 AM
I can't be the only one thinking that this year, maybe going 7-9 isn't necessarily a terrible thing. Look, if we lose out we'd be picking around 11 - 13, and that is going to leave the absolute best pass rushers on the board for us if we so choose. We might have to take one for the team here and have a negative record for the team to bloom next year. Going 7-9 isn't necessarily the worst thing if it means longtime sustainability for the defense and reloading - not rebuilding - our team.

A decade of excellence and being a perennial contender leads to a down year in terms of reloading and if it's just one, then I'm ok with that. I'm not naive enough to think that we can keep picking 28 - 32 in every round and keep on getting All Pro players. Maybe one down year is worth it.

GMU Steeler
12-23-2012, 04:22 PM
I can't be the only one thinking that this year, maybe going 7-9 isn't necessarily a terrible thing. Look, if we lose out we'd be picking around 11 - 13, and that is going to leave the absolute best pass rushers on the board for us if we so choose. We might have to take one for the team here and have a negative record for the team to bloom next year. Going 7-9 isn't necessarily the worst thing if it means longtime sustainability for the defense and reloading - not rebuilding - our team.

A decade of excellence and being a perennial contender leads to a down year in terms of reloading and if it's just one, then I'm ok with that. I'm not naive enough to think that we can keep picking 28 - 32 in every round and keep on getting All Pro players. Maybe one down year is worth it.

We'll see. You're right though. We can't pick 28-32 and keep on getting all pro talent. Tough to find a silver lining in losing though.

SteelersCanada
12-23-2012, 04:29 PM
We'll see. You're right though. We can't pick 28-32 and keep on getting all pro talent. Tough to find a silver lining in losing though.

If there is one to be found, it's the fact that we can reload our defense in this draft and get younger. That, and we're going to clear out cap space and get rid of the guys that are too old or inconsistent to do anything.

That starts with getting rid of Hampton, Harrison and Troy. There has to be a market for Polamalu, let's see what it is.

GMU Steeler
12-23-2012, 04:39 PM
If there is one to be found, it's the fact that we can reload our defense in this draft and get younger. That, and we're going to clear out cap space and get rid of the guys that are too old or inconsistent to do anything.

That starts with getting rid of Hampton, Harrison and Troy. There has to be a market for Polamalu, let's see what it is.

Wouldn't be surprised if one of those three retires. It would be awesome though to have someone like J.J Watt fall into our laps like he did with the Texans.

SteelersCanada
12-23-2012, 04:43 PM
Wouldn't be surprised if one of those three retires. It would be awesome though to have someone like J.J Watt fall into our laps like he did with the Texans.

I mean, why win next game? There's no point of winning and falling down 6 - 8 spots in the draft for a win that means, literally, dick all. If we're not interested in drafting that high, we can pile up picks from teams that will trade up to get defensive talent.

Or, ya know, we could draft Dion Jordan and fix all of our pass rush problems in one player. Either one. But, you're right, to have someone like Jordan fall to our laps and play opposite Woodley would be amazing. I mean, not every year is it that we have, as some scouts have said, 'stronger and more athletic than Aldon Smith was' and have the legitimate opportunity to draft him.

casteeler
12-23-2012, 06:49 PM
When the draft was discussed earlier the team looked more promising now who knows. The Steelers need D line,CB,RB Saftey,Backup QB,WR and by the looks of it a punter. Maybe not all by draft but cleaning house doesn't look like a bad idea

BLACK_AND_YELLOW
12-23-2012, 08:24 PM
When the draft was discussed earlier the team looked more promising now who knows. The Steelers need D line,CB,RB Saftey,Backup QB,WR and by the looks of it a punter. Maybe not all by draft but cleaning house doesn't look like a bad idea

CB is not a big need imo Cortez showed me that he is ready for primetime

1. Dion Jordan, OLB, Oregon
2. Eddie Lacy, RB, Alabama or best safety
3. Bacarri Rambo, S, Georgia or the best rb

This would be a perfect draft

PhantomJB93
12-23-2012, 08:36 PM
Isn't Dion Jordan 6'7? That's a little huge to be a 3-4 OLB where having a low center of gravity is ideal. Don't get me wrong the guy is a beast, but he seems like one of those guys who's locked in as a 4-3 end and nothing else.

SteelersCanada
12-23-2012, 08:42 PM
Isn't Dion Jordan 6'7? That's a little huge to be a 3-4 OLB where having a low center of gravity is ideal. Don't get me wrong the guy is a beast, but he seems like one of those guys who's locked in as a 4-3 end and nothing else.

He's 6'7 245 and runs a 4.5. I agree with you, having a smaller guy is ideal but this guy makes up for it with his strength and speed. Think Aldon Smith, but less polished. I'm usually luke-warm at best regarding prospects coming into the NFL - especially on a defense like LeBeau's - this kid could break Strahan's sack record in his second season in the NFL.

I could throw you a couple YouTube links on this kid if you want - he's going to be for real.

cbrunn
12-23-2012, 09:29 PM
He's 6'7 245 and runs a 4.5. I agree with you, having a smaller guy is ideal but this guy makes up for it with his strength and speed. Think Aldon Smith, but less polished. I'm usually luke-warm at best regarding prospects coming into the NFL - especially on a defense like LeBeau's - this kid could break Strahan's sack record in his second season in the NFL.

I could throw you a couple YouTube links on this kid if you want - he's going to be for real.

I know you and others are really high on Dion Jordan ... but the guy has 14.5 sacks at college career 4 fumble force 0 int and 2 pass deflection and 29 tackles for loss... I know he could potentially turn into a beast and what not ... but to say he'll fix the pass rush in 1 year is a bit foolish I think ... And I've watched tape and I am no where near as high on him as you are

and also while somebody like Kyle Van Noy has 20.5 sacks in 3 years ... 4 INT and 13 pass deflections ... 41 tackles for loss and 10 FF ... and can be had in a trade back scenario to gather more draft picks , and maybe even had in the 2nd round ...and our OLB aren't just asked to pass rush they are asked to drop back in coverage more then most 3-4 OLB and that's something Van Noy proved he can do along with rushing the passer

if your talking potential Yes Dion Jordan may have a higher upside ... but I think I like Van Noy more then Jordan ... not to mention Van Noy has a nack for making a big play when his team needs it

teegre
12-24-2012, 12:19 AM
Van Noy destroyed my brother's Aztecs. DESTROYED them.

I think that he just made another tackle. :wink02:

R2?... or will he rise into R1?

cbrunn
12-24-2012, 08:53 AM
Van Noy destroyed my brother's Aztecs. DESTROYED them.

I think that he just made another tackle. :wink02:

R2?... or will he rise into R1?

I'm really hoping with this serge of now picking maybe anywhere from like 12-19 think that's what I've seen a R2

But in all honestly I think he shoots up to at worst a late R1 ... the Guy is the total package ... not just a Pass rusher but is able to cover too ... and a LB that can do both like a Timmons is so valuable

R1 - Alec Ogletree
R2 - Kyle Van Noy
R3 - Bacarri Rambo

is like a dream draft for me right now ... that would give us the best coverage LB in the game and Ogletree would Allow Timmons to attack much more then he can now, since he's always dropping back in coverage

and Also I highly doubt Rambo is their in the 3rd ...almost guaranteeing he won't

casteeler
12-24-2012, 12:35 PM
Maybe a little short sighted but the team seems to need offense a little more than defense but who could pass up Manti T'eo(forgive my spelling) if available..... He'd look great in Black&Gold. With how well the team does using Heath maybe Shannahan(Pitt) and a Top RB would put this team in the top 10 Offensively:thumbsup:

steel-EERS
12-24-2012, 05:39 PM
like the alec Ogletree pick, we need a stud in the middle, next need IMO is Safety if a good one is there in round 2, but it might be drafting the best available player as the best aproach if an obvious need filler isn't there at any given pick. Scouting department needs to start over achieving!