PDA

View Full Version : Read this if you want a clue as to why the offense stinks

uclkyle
12-23-2012, 02:22 PM
Just prior to the long TD pass to A. Brown, Ben had attempted 10 passes. Of those 10 passes, SEVEN, that's right, SEVEN were on third down. On a cold day, to start a game, name me one NFL QB in the history of the league who could be successful in that scenario. I'm just saying. I realize we ran the ball well in the first half, but when you only pass on third down, it gives a good Cincy pass rush the ability to pin their ears back and rush. I'm not one to jump on the play caller......in the Burgh, nobody likes the O coordinator. But I've seen enough, this Todd Haley guy is a problem.

GoFor7
12-23-2012, 02:27 PM
Just prior to the long TD pass to A. Brown, Ben had attempted 10 passes. Of those 10 passes, SEVEN, that's right, SEVEN were on third down. On a cold day, to start a game, name me one NFL QB in the history of the league who could be successful in that scenario. I'm just saying. I realize we ran the ball well in the first half, but when you only pass on third down, it gives a good Cincy pass rush the ability to pin their ears back and rush. I'm not one to jump on the play caller......in the Burgh, nobody likes the O coordinator. But I've seen enough, this Todd Haley guy is a problem.

Because they're worried about time of possession, in turn ruining their own scoring chances.

Those of you who like this style of football but are pissed the offense doesn't score more - don't be. When you play this type of football, your offense won't score many points.

defence
12-23-2012, 02:32 PM
When they're supposed to run on 3rd and 1 from the 5 they empty the backfield. This offence is horrible and this style doesn't allow Ben to get into any rythm.

AndyWitmyer
12-23-2012, 02:36 PM
The team who wins the time of possession USUALLY wins the game. But that's only if you're team is good enough to put games away - otherwise, it's meaningless, and perhaps even detrimental.

Rowland2110
12-23-2012, 02:38 PM
The team who wins the time of possession USUALLY wins the game. But that's only if you're team is good enough to put games away - otherwise, it's meaningless, and perhaps even detrimental.

^^ this

The steelers do not score enough points for time of possession to matter.

uclkyle
12-23-2012, 02:47 PM

That is if (and only if) you score points with that time of possession. Moreover, teams with lots of time of possession typically have defenses that get turnovers and an offense that runs the ball well. We are what, 26th in rushing and last in turnovers.

Rowland2110
12-23-2012, 03:36 PM
We are now passing on every single third down wondering why ben is getting sacked.

steeltheone
12-23-2012, 03:48 PM
Does not help Decastro has been getting ran over.

defence
12-23-2012, 03:49 PM
Win or lose; this offence is a disgrace. I can't believe people actually can argue the facts. Haley is a joke. The d has played there hearts out; and he has shit his pants

STEELAMANIA
12-23-2012, 04:18 PM
Ben is the problem........I'm done watching this team until we get a new qb.....

FacemeIke
12-23-2012, 04:19 PM
That was horrid play calling....We ran on 95% of first downs. And is it just me or where our backs about 7 yards deep when they were taking the handoff every play? We hadn't been doing that all season have we?

defence
12-23-2012, 04:25 PM
Ben is the problem........I'm done watching this team until we get a new qb.....

Yup. He messed up. But get serious. Lets trade for Sanchez

steelfury02
12-23-2012, 04:25 PM
That was horrid play calling....We ran on 95% of first downs. And is it just me or where our backs about 7 yards deep when they were taking the handoff every play? We hadn't been doing that all season have we?

correct - one helluva a long way to get to the handoff, and Ben really leads the defense as to where the RB is getting the ball.

I wasn't a fan of the play calling, but, Ben needs to get his head right and start believing in other people over his John Wayne skills that haven't really payed off in the past two season. John Elway won 2 SBs by having faith in the rest of his teammates and playing sound football. Ben's best days may be behind him at this rate . . .

GoFor7
12-23-2012, 04:27 PM
correct - one helluva a long way to get to the handoff, and Ben really leads the defense as to where the RB is getting the ball.

I wasn't a fan of the play calling, but, Ben needs to get his head right and start believing in other people over his John Wayne skills that haven't really payed off in the past two season. John Elway won 2 SBs by having faith in the rest of his teammates and playing sound football. Ben's best days may be behind him at this rate . . .

The problem with your argument is Art Rooney doesn't know as much about football as many of you think he does. Lets not praise him just because he shares daddy's last name.

WVABE
Someone needs to hypnotize Ben so he thinks its inside the 2 minute warning of the 1st half.
This team sputters so bad when we reach the 30-40 yard line, then Ben gets sacked every damn time.

ZoneBlitzer

Ben is turning into a late in his career Brett Favre. He's lost IT.

EbonySteel86
Ben's been playing like crap! There were check downs he could've taken but don't. Bring in a LEGITIMATE number 2 Qb and watch Ben play a whole lot better!!!

defence
12-23-2012, 04:36 PM
Guys. Please; I know its a really tough pill to swallow right now; but let's be real here. Yes Ben messed up but the reality is that the coaching and playcalling was a disaster all game. To put ben in a situation like this every week when especially today; the game should have been way before that last drive. Kudos to our d!! Fantastic game!! Haley; you are a complete idiot. I have no idea what he was calling his 1st down run second down run shit. #rd and 8 getting Ben killed. A disgrace. Ben tried too much to make it happen. But that's Ben and I will take him anyday.

sexyllama
12-23-2012, 04:38 PM
I'm pretty sure there was a reason they didn't want Ben to throw...

GoFor7
12-23-2012, 04:38 PM
Guys. Please; I know its a really tough pill to swallow right now; but let's be real here. Yes Ben messed up but the reality is that the coaching and playcalling was a disaster all game. To put ben in a situation like this every week when especially today; the game should have been way before that last drive. Kudos to our d!! Fantastic game!! Haley; you are a complete idiot. I have no idea what he was calling his 1st down run second down run shit. #rd and 8 getting Ben killed. A disgrace. Ben tried too much to make it happen. But that's Ben and I will take him anyday.

LOL! I praise you for effort, but you're asking yinzers to think straight after being eliminated from the postseason.

I say let them fume for a few days, then show them tapes from the 80's and 90's. Then they'll understand why Ben is important.

eafratitpm3
12-23-2012, 04:44 PM
Ben has his millions now, he has two SB Rings, he's a new father. Playing QB for the Pittsburgh Steelers is just a hobby now for him. He used to be a tough guy with alot of heart but h is definatly comfortable where he is in his career. Think about it, he is the #1 guy, no competition behind him so if he has a bad game or two, three, four, who cares. He'll stand up in front of the media and say this loss is on him, same as Mike T does every week. Well, I guess they will own the couches they will be sitting on week after next. Thank you Big Ben and Coach T. I know, they made one more splash play than w did. We accep that.

therocksteeler
12-23-2012, 04:50 PM
@ Go....
I completely agree with you on this one. However, Coach Tomlin needs to stop using big words in his post game interviews that he can in no way help produce on the field of play. He has an internal problem that only a coach can fix. Rooney's need to break it to Coach T that they are from Missouri and that they are not seeing the efforts needed to right this ship. Ben is Ben he has been hammered for years now, yes years behind this line. Outside life may be the reason, low morale, lack of offensive coaching. The third down issue is the white elephant in the room that needs to be corrected even if someone needs to leave. The high school antics of I am going to make you ride the bench if you are not producing does not work in NFL. You have grab these guys by the face mask and get in their faces. Hmmm, sounds like a coach we all know and love huh? But that just my take of 2.5 cents on the matter....70's, 80's, 90, 10's and today fan and always will be. Its the meaning of what this team represents that defines it's fan base....Go Steelers!.......2013 DRAFT

steelersfan77
12-23-2012, 05:04 PM
After the first three series. Run, run, pass my dad looked at me and hinted Haley getting back at Ben for his negative comments. Funny thing is the gameplan never changed.

A shame there are differences between our leader and OC. Especially with the way the defense had been playing. Not one time this game did Rothlisberger and Haley communicate after a series. I had good seats and saw no communication, animosity if anything.

WVABE
12-23-2012, 05:06 PM
Wonder what spot we'll get in the draft when the Brownies take us down.

Lord of Lombardi
12-23-2012, 05:08 PM
When they're supposed to run on 3rd and 1 from the 5 they empty the backfield. This offence is horrible and this style doesn't allow Ben to get into any rythm.

3rd and 1 inside the 5 and Gayly calls a Ben shitlessberger throw? This after running the ball down bungholes throat on the drive???? We need to finish 7-9 and improve our pathetic team

defence
12-23-2012, 05:08 PM
LOL! I praise you for effort, but you're asking yinzers to think straight after being eliminated from the postseason.

I say let them fume for a few days, then show them tapes from the 80's and 90's. Then they'll understand why Ben is important.

7you got my respect. i don't give a shit how people want to see it. the reality of it is the Steelers tried to play a system that doesn't fit what you have. They tried to force players to play in a system that doesn't work. Haley MUST go or be forced to work with the strengths they have. I'm reading shit about getting rid of BEN. You fucking kidding me?? I will always be a fan. Love the Steelers since I was an 8 year old kid. I'm now 41. I've seen alot of bad shit but to talk shit about a guy who has come in and saved our asses sooooo many times and win super bowls is truly pathetic. Ben messed up. YES!!! But he didn't lose our season. Tomlin and Haley are responsible for that!!

Kanata-Steeler
12-23-2012, 05:09 PM
yep, I aggree, might as well look at the brighter side of all this now. - a potentially better draft pick

GoFor7
12-23-2012, 05:15 PM
7you got my respect. i don't give a shit how people want to see it. the reality of it is the Steelers tried to play a system that doesn't fit what you have. They tried to force players to play in a system that doesn't work. Haley MUST go or be forced to work with the strengths they have. I'm reading shit about getting rid of BEN. You fucking kidding me?? I will always be a fan. Love the Steelers since I was an 8 year old kid. I'm now 41. I've seen alot of bad shit but to talk shit about a guy who has come in and saved our asses sooooo many times and win super bowls is truly pathetic. Ben messed up. YES!!! But he didn't lose our season. Tomlin and Haley are responsible for that!!

There's too big reasons the Steelers played the way they did this season:

1.) Outdated philosophies. Worrying too much about TOP rather than scoring. Thus resulting in an offense that does not fit it's personnel. They took points away from themselves.

2.) Playing scared. Worrying about what "could" go wrong. Ben "could" get hurt (which he did), the defense "could" give up big plays (which they did at times during the season). They spent so much time worrying about what could go wrong rather than making plays.

Now, we saw the defense become aggressive today. GOOD. Take that into next season and learn that you have to play the same way on offense. This close to the vest shit resulted in a 7-9 or 8-8 season.