PDA

View Full Version : Official Game Goat Thread

MACH1
12-23-2012, 04:17 PM
The entire O.

Lets keep all the bitching and complaining in one spot.

Blackout
12-23-2012, 04:18 PM
:shout:Fire Haley!

Had to make an Arians joke...

madtowndrunkard
No.... the line did their job... the running backs did ok... Ben's turnovers cost us the game... Ben was horrible... this is totally on him.

jb500ex
ben roethlisberger hands down suppose to be a elite qb he has been a elite choker for 3 years

Jahodac
12-23-2012, 04:19 PM
Roethlisberger, Tomlin, Haley

Defense kept us in the game.

STEELAMANIA
Ben lost this game and last weeks game.

GoFor7
No.... the line did their job... the running backs did ok... Ben's turnovers cost us the game... Ben was horrible... this is totally on him.

No, o-line doesn't get a pass. They were awful along with the rest of the offense.

fate0521
12-23-2012, 04:20 PM
Ben, Haley 1a and 1b

Terminator
The entire team. I am glad the season is now over, cause if I had to see any more of this pathetic waste of 4 hours every Sunday, I would have a fucking heart attack.

Fire Arians
the whole team that isn't on the defensive squad. special teams were horrible

warren's snap was as good as ben's pick 6 for a game loser. if suisham makes that kick, we could have milked the clock in the 4q or punted instead of trying to go for a long FG

ben was just bad. offensive line didn't give him any time

why didn't haley go with the hot hand and give mendenhall more action? he was the only running back that was getting any respect from cincy's defense

tomlin's decision to make suisham nail the kick is questionable. 54 yards toward the open end?

this loss was on everyone except the defense. defense played GREAT. too bad it was a wasted effort.

Kanata-Steeler
This seasons Offense is Officially called: Bozo and the Clowns ! (Not Ben and the Offense)

An Offense is a reflection of it's Leader, the now well-seasoned QB, Ben.
No Excuses ! Because our DEFENSE just PROVED it TODAY !!!

Ben, during this season, had NO HEART and Soul to even want to win, like he used to.

This behaviour HAS TO CHANGE next season. !

VegasStlrFan
That would be our $100 million dollar man Ben....again. This should close the door on the discussion about him being a top tier quaterback.

STEELAMANIA
12-23-2012, 04:21 PM
Ship Ben to backup Luck in Indy so he can be with his boy Arians. Ben is the laziest qb I know. He never checks down, too lazy to go through his reads....Arians ruined him.

Terrapin
12-23-2012, 04:22 PM
Once again, Roethlisberger is the goat of not only this game, but the season. Actually the last 2 seasons. How many 4th qtr choke-jobs do we need to see? Guess what everyone, maybe Haley isn't the problem. Maybe Arians wasn't the problem. Maybe the problem is the inaccurate QB w/ an IQ lower than his jersey number.

And let's talk about another front office failure. Are we the only team in the entire league now w/ a kicker that comes up short on 53yd FGs?

ZoneBlitzer
Tomlin is an idiot. He really is. I'm not kidding. 40 seconds left, deep in your own territory and you haven't been moving the ball? jYOU TAKE A KNEE

madtowndrunkard
That would be our $100 million dollar man Ben....again. This should close the door on the discussion about him being a top tier quaterback.

Well he used to be.... he's really been bad lately. He's lost that drive. Ben used to be unbeatable when the game is on the line... now he's got no heart...how does your QB play this bad in this big of a game?

VegasStlrFan
12-23-2012, 04:24 PM
Once again, Roethlisberger is the goat of not only this game, but the season. Actually the last 2 seasons. How many 4th qtr choke-jobs do we need to see? Guess what everyone, maybe Haley isn't the problem. Maybe Arians wasn't the problem. Maybe the problem is the inaccurate QB w/ an IQ lower than his jersey number.

AMEN! :doh::doh::doh:

GoFor7
Wow.... questioning his heart now are we?

Go back to the 90's yinzers if that's the kind of football you want. He made bad mistakes in two games in a row - but putting it all on him overshadows many, many more problems with this team.

Atlanta Dan
Ben

And Tomlin for the 54 yard FG attempi

I am over it - the season was a total cluster

Big changes coming

Terminator
12-23-2012, 04:25 PM
Tomlin is an idiot. He really is. I'm not kidding. 40 seconds left, deep in your own territory and you haven't been moving the ball? jYOU TAKE A KNEE

What do you expect from a coach who was only hired to fill a rule that the team's owner instituted?

FacemeIke
12-23-2012, 04:26 PM
Ben sucked....Haley's play calling was even worse and made Ben look worse than he was, and our running backs had to run 8 yards even to get to the line of scrimmage because they were lining up so deep. I didn't get that

Darkstorm05
12-23-2012, 04:26 PM
Ben handed over 10 of the Bengals 13 points. There's nobody else in the running for goat here.

VegasStlrFan
12-23-2012, 04:27 PM
Well he used to be.... he's really been bad lately. He's lost that drive. Ben used to be unbeatable when the game is on the line... now he's got no heart...how does your QB play this bad in this big of a game?

i dont think he ever was...he had years of some of the best defenses to bail his ass out and when they didn't there is always the Oline as a scapegoat.

GoFor7
12-23-2012, 04:27 PM
i dont think he ever was...he had years of some of the best defenses to bail his ass out and when they didn't there is always the Oline as a scapegoat.

Want 80's and 90's football?

Steel_Bus_24
12-23-2012, 04:28 PM
Man this just feels deeper then a lost season

Its as if Ben and Wallace said....

You know what screw you all.....if we aren't going run the plays, routes, and win in the way we see fit, then none of you sons a B***es are going to have any success

Im freaking gutted right now....because again it just feels worse.......It feels like theres some bad blood in that locker room that Tomlin tried to tell himself wasn't there

ZoneBlitzer
12-23-2012, 04:28 PM
We are stuck with an idiot for a head coach. God help us.

madtowndrunkard
12-23-2012, 04:31 PM
Wow.... questioning his heart now are we?

Go back to the 90's yinzers if that's the kind of football you want. He made bad mistakes in two games in a row - but putting it all on him overshadows many, many more problems with this team.

Like what? Seriously what is our biggest issue? Not being able to run the ball? If we are healthy I think our O-line is solid. Who do you replace on the O-line? The RB's? Yea I think we use an upgrade there...but how bad are our RB's really? I'd say we are average at the very least. WR's? These WR's are easily among the top 10 in the NFL as a group. Our Defense is still among the best in the NFL... yea we could use a playmaker...but does a lack of a playmaker on defense make us an 8-8 team?

We have talent... we are not losing because we have less talent then the rest of the league. We struggle to score points...that's the problem... . Why is that? You either got to point the finger at Ben or Mike Tomlin.... there really is no other person responsible... it's got to be one of those 2. You can't really fire Ben can you? We are really bad... and there is way too much talent on this team to be this bad. Tomlin is the problem..... he'll be back next year... I hope he learned something from this.. Great coaches learn from mistakes and get better. 2 years in a row now... Tomlin has failed to do his job.

steeldriver
12-23-2012, 04:31 PM
i honestly feel big ben played like crap on purpose just to prove a point to haley. just when i think they cant play any worse they go and do this. whatever happened to the dink and dunk. that was working back then.

steelerchad
12-23-2012, 04:33 PM
Ben totally sucked today.
His int at the end was horrible. but, he was back to his Bs holding the ball and taking sacks again. He has been putrid since his return.
When's the last time he won one on the last possession vs. Losing it

Disgusting..

steelfury02
12-23-2012, 04:34 PM
i honestly feel big ben played like crap on purpose just to prove a point to haley. just when i think they cant play any worse they go and do this. whatever happened to the dink and dunk. that was working back then.

I actually think Haley let Ben have his way more so in this game - and, "In Ben we trust." Yea effing right. The guy needs to have his head checked.

I love the Pittsburgh Steelers, I don't love the way our QB is looking. You can blame injuries all you want - but, his injury didn't have anything to do with his decision making since he has been back. He has zero faith in the Steelers way or any of the other players. On top of the 3 awful picks in the past 2 weeks - why the fuck can't this guy get it in his head to throw it away than getting sacked out of field goal range.

Fuck Ben.

VegasStlrFan
12-23-2012, 04:35 PM

whats your point, Ben is overrated - has been for years - how was this or last year different than the 80's or 90's

GoFor7
12-23-2012, 04:35 PM
Like what? Seriously what is our biggest issue? Not being able to run the ball? If we are healthy I think our O-line is solid. Who do you replace on the O-line? The RB's? Yea I think we use an upgrade there...but how bad are our RB's really? I'd say we are average at the very least. WR's? These WR's are easily among the top 10 in the NFL as a group. Our Defense is still among the best in the NFL... yea we could use a playmaker...but does a lack of a playmaker on defense make us an 8-8 team?

We have talent... we are not losing because we have less talent then the rest of the league. We struggle to score points...that's the problem... . Why is that? You either got to point the finger at Ben or Mike Tomlin.... there really is no other person responsible... it's got to be one of those 2. You can't really fire Ben can you? We are really bad... and there is way too much talent on this team to be this bad. Tomlin is the problem..... he'll be back next year... I hope he learned something from this.. Great coaches learn from mistakes and get better. 2 years in a row now... Tomlin has failed to do his job.

I've been telling you all what the problem is all week - playing close to the vest. All season the Steelers have been playing scared, worrying about what "could" happen as opposed to making things happen. When you just try to grind it out for 16 games, you aren't always going to win.

7-9 or 8-8, very justified for a team that plays that way.

Rotorhead
12-23-2012, 04:36 PM
Ben, he has now lost 3 this season with a pick at the end. He needs to go home and figure out if he wants to be a QB or that crap he showed this season. Stupids throws, stupid decisions, just a terrible effort all season in every aspect of the game this year. Hopefully this off season they can clean house with all these so called "super stars" and find a core of players that will show up every game. I honestly wouldnt care if they cleaned house and started over. The lack of discipline, effort and heart makes this team not fit to wear that uniform.

GoFor7
12-23-2012, 04:36 PM
whats your point, Ben is overrated - has been for years - how was this or last year different than the 80's or 90's

My points is the dumb yinzers calling for Ben to be cut need to remember what the team was before him. You so desperately wanted to put all the blame on Ben, that you don't realize this is a 4 win team without him.

Fire Arians
12-23-2012, 04:37 PM

i'll take the 1995 season minus o'donnell's performance in the big game :thumbsup:

Kanata-Steeler
12-23-2012, 04:38 PM

... because Ben is just a rich, immature, spoilt brat now, and TOMLIN as HC, didn't DO a darn thing about it.
Ben ain't no rookie anymore, he's definitely old enough to know better.
Tomlin has to stop "*****-footing" around with these players, or he's next.!

I want to bring in Wizenhunt even, give him the HC job, that'll break or busr Ben then.
Then again, maybe I'm just over-reacting becuase of this USELESS Offense this season, or the fact that the Defense gave our "O" a million chances to put this game away today.
mmmm, nope, that's about how I feel right now., fuk !

AndyWitmyer
12-23-2012, 04:40 PM
I agree with FireArians - Special Teams did screw up once again. But a lot of that (maybe more so than in any other phase) is on the Coaches. Tomlin should have known better - you don't kick 54 yard FGs on a field where 52 yards remains the longest kick - especially on the "bad side" of the field.

I gave Suisham about a 10% of making it - hell, I'd give the best FG in the league about a 15% of making it from 53 yards out in Heinz field. Again - Tomlin should have known this. This was, imo, the play that cost us the game. More so than Ben's interception...which would have never happened had Tomlin punted...or hell, at least attempted some sort of gadget play.

This was a game with bad coaching from both sides - which was reflected in the score. But ultimately, the offense could have (and should have) put this away, given the turnovers.

Ben's chemistry with Haley is worse than I anticipated. There's just something about the way that he's playing that the screams "passive aggression". This HAS to change. Or we're going to be in for a three to five year slide.

VegasStlrFan
12-23-2012, 04:40 PM
My points is the dumb yinzers calling for Ben to be cut need to remember what the team was before him. You so desperately wanted to put all the blame on Ben, that you don't realize this is a 4 win team without him.

4 win team gimme a break...there are tons of 4 win teams with the #1 D...happens all the time. He's overrated period!

FrancoLambert
12-23-2012, 04:41 PM
This just in.....Ben's on ESPN radio complaining about Haley's playcalling.
Haley's on NFL network complaining about Ben's poor decisions.
Both were the main culprits today.

GoFor7
12-23-2012, 04:42 PM
... because Ben is just a rich, immature, spoilt brat now, and TOMLIN as HC, didn't DO a darn thing about it.
Ben ain't no rookie anymore, he's definitely old enough to know better.
Tomlin has to stop "*****-footing" around with these players, or he's next.!

I want to bring in Wizenhunt even, give him the HC job, that'll break or busr Ben then.
Then again, maybe I'm just over-reacting becuase of this USELESS Offense this season.
mmmm, nope, that's about how I feel right now., fuk !

Kanta, lets get over his off the field issues from a few years ago. I would say, given he has a wife and kid now, that his personal life is straightened out.

Now, listen carefully. I know you're a simple-minded yinzer, and this is right after a loss, but listen carefully......

When you handcuff a QB for the first 58 minutes of games, he won't always be able to bail you out in the end. Sometimes he does, but not all the time. Most teams with franchise QBs let them try to win the game early, but not the Steelers. They are more focused on TOP and putting all the pressure on the defense to win it.

I know many of you were wishing for Ben to blow it, but this team has many, many more problems.

AndyWitmyer
I've been telling you all what the problem is all week - playing close to the vest. All season the Steelers have been playing scared, worrying about what "could" happen as opposed to making things happen. When you just try to grind it out for 16 games, you aren't always going to win.

7-9 or 8-8, very justified for a team that plays that way.

I agree - they really did try far too hard to keep Ben protected at all costs and played an offensively conservative game all season long. The irony is that Ben *STILL* got injured. And I can't help but to think it dampened the overall morale. Never a good thing.

GMU Steeler

This isn't going to be good. But perhaps it needs to happen too.

Fire Arians
12-23-2012, 04:43 PM

serious?

ben is more to blame, haley didn't tell him to throw 2 interceptions im sure.

i do have a problem with haley's personnel decisions though, mendenhall should have carried the rock more, dwyer/red were ineffective against cincy's run defenders up the middle

Terrapin

If Ben refuses to play within the system and gameplan his coaches put together, then he needs to go. Whether we agree with that system or not. Haley's system was working pretty good before Ben got hurt. Ben's mouth-running is proof that he not only wants to be QB, but also OC. Doesn't work that way.

You also make it sound like if we didn't have Ben, we'd be stuck with Mark Sanchez or Christian Ponder. Give me a guy that can play within a system, not make stupid mistakes, and can connect on deep balls (like Ben missed again today w/ Wallace), and we'd be a better team.

I'm not saying I want Ben gone, but I think it's time to adapt or leave. Same with Tomlin.

SteeleReign

I agree. I truly think that our game next week against the Browns will tell us a lot about Tomlin. If the team comes out and stinks it up & mails in another loss, then I think Tomlin has lost this team. Of course, he isn't going anywhere, but he sure as hell better grow some big boy balls and kick some serious ass in Latrobe next summer!!!

GoFor7
12-23-2012, 04:44 PM
4 win team gimme a break...there are tons of 4 win teams with the #1 D...happens all the time. He's overrated period!

Tons of 4 win teams with the #1 defense? So I guess you're saying without Ben the Steelers are a 4 win team!

You're stupidity has helped me prove my point. Thanks!

GoFor7
12-23-2012, 04:46 PM
If Ben refuses to play within the system and gameplan his coaches put together, then he needs to go. Whether we agree with that system or not. Haley's system was working pretty good before Ben got hurt. Ben's mouth-running is proof that he not only wants to be QB, but also OC. Doesn't work that way.

You also make it sound like if we didn't have Ben, we'd be stuck with Mark Sanchez or Christian Ponder. Give me a guy that can play within a system, not make stupid mistakes, and can connect on deep balls (like Ben missed again today w/ Wallace), and we'd be a better team.

I'm not saying I want Ben gone, but I think it's time to adapt or leave. Same with Tomlin.

No, if Ben doesn't fit in this system then the OC goes. You don't cut a 2x champ QB for some OC that never won anything.

SteeleReign
This isn't going to be good. But perhaps it needs to happen too.

I love Ben and don't want him going anywhere. It's clearly time to draft a QB that can make Ben grow up. I think if Ben has a youngster to "groom" maybe he'll start acting like a grown up rather than a whiny little 8 year old.

GMU Steeler
They need to adapt. Tomlin and Ben and I'd say Haley too aren't going anywhere. Our FO isn't the kind that make drastic decisions like that. So, what to do? We adapt. Come out a better team next year. All easier said than done of course. We need a good draft, improvement from our young veterans, and dare I say we need some luck on the injury front. We've had terrible luck with injuries the past couple years. That doesn't excuse peformance.

AndyWitmyer
12-23-2012, 04:48 PM
Ben, he has now lost 3 this season with a pick at the end. He needs to go home and figure out if he wants to be a QB or that crap he showed this season. Stupids throws, stupid decisions, just a terrible effort all season in every aspect of the game this year. Hopefully this off season they can clean house with all these so called "super stars" and find a core of players that will show up every game. I honestly wouldnt care if they cleaned house and started over. The lack of discipline, effort and heart makes this team not fit to wear that uniform.

He needs time to settle down and be a dad, and get over the change in Offensive Coordinator. Both were huge life changes - I know I keep saying that, but I study psychology. Both events are huge, and it doesn't surprise me in the least that Ben's level of play was affected by both of these major changes. I still believe that he's an elite QB - bc, believe it or not, even elite QBs have terrible seasons. This season was doomed from the start, with certain pre-season/early season injuries.

There was never any chemistry between the offense, defense and special teams. All of them accomplished things this season, but not as an entire team - just individually, in certain games. Had they been able to fire on all cylinders, things might have been a lot different.

And I know its cliche to blame the refs, but I'm still willing to put an asterisk on this season given the lockout (which changed the outcome of a whole slew of games) - and hell, the "real" refs weren't much better.

But I guess that's the way it is with football.

GoFor7
12-23-2012, 04:49 PM
I agree - they really did try far too hard to keep Ben protected at all costs and played an offensively conservative game all season long. The irony is that Ben *STILL* got injured. And I can't help but to think it dampened the overall morale. Never a good thing.

DING DING DING! YINZER NATION, WE HAVE A WINNER!

Maybe if they take some more risks earlier in the season, they would be in a much better position in the standings.

VegasStlrFan
Tons of 4 win teams with the #1 defense? So I guess you're saying without Ben the Steelers are a 4 win team!

You're stupidity has helped me prove my point. Thanks!

Really shit for brains, you don't get sarcasm...

AndyWitmyer

Is this for real or sarcasm?

Terrapin
12-23-2012, 04:50 PM
No, if Ben doesn't fit in this system then the OC goes. You don't cut a 2x champ QB for some OC that never won anything.

So you want Ben to be OC too? He didn't fit w/ Arians (who's doing pretty damn well in Indy, with a rookie QB). He doesn't like Haley. Who in the league would be sufficient for Ben? Tomlin didn't want Ben to hold on to the ball and take hits either. We need to find a coach that does. And I thought I heard Rooney saying the same thing, so I guess they should sell the team. Maybe they can sell it to Ben, and he can hire himself to be GM, HC, OC, and QB?

GoFor7
12-23-2012, 04:50 PM
Really shit for brains, you don't get sarcasm...

Apparently you don't either :chuckle:

I can understand though, you must be distracted counting all those Lombardi's from the 80's and 90's....

Terminator
12-23-2012, 04:51 PM
When you score this little amount of points every game, you aren't going to win shit. Look at teams like New England, Green Bay, San Fran, etc. 40+ points over multiple games.

"ohhhhhhhhhh but it's all about controlling the clock. waaaaaah waaaaaaaaaah."

Yeah. Eat it. We aren't even in the playoffs. So who gives a shit?

defence
12-23-2012, 04:52 PM

You know what 7; you have been correct all year. i doubted what you were saying but reality is exactly everything you have quoted. haley is a f***** disaster. everyone jumping on Ben; please!! this guy has saved your asses for years. In reality; you think we win superbowls without him?? C'mon!! This guy got fucked by the hiring of that dumb ass Haley!! He's been shackled all year by Haleys playcalling. Run Run pass get killed on 3rd down!! i hope Rooney was watching today. Tomlin; you are lucky that the Rooneys are patient people; if it were me; your ass is out the door!!

GMU Steeler
12-23-2012, 04:52 PM
I love Ben and don't want him going anywhere. It's clearly time to draft a QB that can make Ben grow up. I think if Ben has a youngster to "groom" maybe he'll start acting like a grown up rather than a whiny little 8 year old.

I don't want him going anywhere either and don't think he is. Honestly, that wouldn't be a terrible idea to pick up a QB in the third or fourth round to develop as a successor to Ben. I really hope Ben has one more Super Bowl title in him. That would be great. I guess I can't get too upset. Plenty of fans of teams who have never seen their team make the big game let alone win two like I have or six if you grew up in the 70's.

Rowland2110
12-23-2012, 04:53 PM
Roethlisberger, Tomlin, Haley

Defense kept us in the game.

I think you can be legit and add Ben in with Tomlin and Haley because you cant tell me it wasnt Ben who put those WR screens back into the play book.

Kanata-Steeler
Kanta, lets get over his off the field issues from a few years ago. I would say, given he has a wife and kid now, that his personal life is straightened out.

Now, listen carefully. I know you're a simple-minded yinzer, and this is right after a loss, but listen carefully......

When you handcuff a QB for the first 58 minutes of games, he won't always be able to bail you out in the end. Sometimes he does, but not all the time. Most teams with franchise QBs let them try to win the game early, but not the Steelers. They are more focused on TOP and putting all the pressure on the defense to win it.

I know many of you were wishing for Ben to blow it, but this team has many, many more problems.

Buddy, you've swung on both sides of the fence yourself, in yaying and "NAYING" ben many times. We used to win early in the games we played, and our Defense protected our "O"'s lead. I haven't seen that in many games this season.
Our Offense was terrible this season, that's a plain as the sun rising tomorrow, if you see behind the clouds.
Yinzer is better than a hypocrite.
"wishing for Ben to blow it" - huh? calm down now.
Ben did enough of that for both of US.

GoFor7
So you want Ben to be OC too? He didn't fit w/ Arians (who's doing pretty damn well in Indy, with a rookie QB). He doesn't like Haley. Who in the league would be sufficient for Ben? Tomlin didn't want Ben to hold on to the ball and take hits either. We need to find a coach that does. And I thought I heard Rooney saying the same thing, so I guess they should sell the team. Maybe they can sell it to Ben, and he can hire himself to be GM, HC, OC, and QB?

Oh it's not just Ben, it's the entire offense. This isn't a dink-and-dunk team, it's a down field team. These WRs should be blowing by DBs, not running routes that only go 5-10 yards beyond the line of scrimmage.

Besides, scheme doesn't protect a QB, offensive lines do.

FrancoLambert
12-23-2012, 04:55 PM
Is this for real or sarcasm?

This year it could be both. :wink02:

GoFor7
12-23-2012, 04:56 PM
Buddy, you've swung on both sides of the fence yourself, in yaying and "NAYING" ben many times. We used to win early in the games we played, and our Defense protected our "O"'s lead. I haven't seen that in many games this season.
Our Offense was terrible this season, that's a plain as the sun rising tomorrow, if you see behind the clouds.
Yinzer is better than a hypocrite.
"wishing for Ben to blow it" - huh? calm down now.
Ben did enough of that for both of US.

Now see, this is where the typical yinzer fails to understand the modern NFL.

The offense didn't get many early leads this season not because of Ben, but because the Steelers wanted to play close to the vest - a.k.a. scared football. They were more worried about TOP than scoring. When you play that style, your offense won't get you many leads, and more pressure will be on the defense.

Not hard to understand.

sharkweek
12-23-2012, 04:59 PM
No, the goat is Tomlin

this isn't the first game of the season lost because he elected to go for what would have been the Suisham's CAREER LONG as well as a record for the history of the field the kick was being attempted in...

how does that happen? even just once, let alone twice? did Tomlin have to take the Wonderlic before being interviewed?

Sure, the missed FG ultimately didn't directly cost the game as the Defense came up with a stop (yet again), however the decision lost the field position battle which put unnecessary pressure on Ben, of which we all now know how that turned out.

Tomlin is easily one of my favorite coaches ever solely due to his demeanor and how he handles the players and the media. However as far as tactical mind I can't help but think he's Forest Gump level the way he's handled live game decisions these past two seasons.

Rowland2110
12-23-2012, 05:02 PM
Ben aint going anywhere. Tomlin will be gone with 100% certainty if next season mirrors this one.

Terrapin
12-23-2012, 05:04 PM
Oh it's not just Ben, it's the entire offense. This isn't a dink-and-dunk team, it's a down field team. These WRs should be blowing by DBs, not running routes that only go 5-10 yards beyond the line of scrimmage.

I agree, but the problem is, Ben isn't a great downfield passer. He really isn't. He missed Wallace again today on what would have been a long TD. Green Bay and Dallas don't really air it deep all game either. Their WRs do something though that I read about once, they gain yards after they catch the ball.

AndyWitmyer
12-23-2012, 05:05 PM
No, the goat is Tomlin

this isn't the first game of the season lost because he elected to go for what would have been the Suisham's CAREER LONG as well as a record for the history of the field the kick was being attempted in...

how does that happen? even just once, let alone twice? did Tomlin have to take the Wonderlic before being interviewed?.

^ THIS

GoFor7
Ben aint going anywhere. Tomlin will be gone with 100% certainty if next season mirrors this one.

With Tomlin, while I don't think he'll last as long as Cowher, I don't think last year is it for him.

As for Ben - duh. But silly, knee-jerking yinzers want the 2x super bowl winning QB gone and the OC who never won anything to stay.

chizzler
I think Ben is still hurt. Big difference between before getting hurt and after. Tomlin is the goat all year.

OX1947
12-23-2012, 05:06 PM
too many injuries, too many bad decisions, too many fumbles and ints, too many bad losses to shitty teams. The season ended the exact way they have played. The thing that bothers me the most wasTroy finally came back to being Troy. The secondary has studs 4 deep now at corner and all I wanted was to get into the playoffs to see how awesome our defense would be. Great Defense in the playoffs is 10 times what it is in the regular season and the Steelers had the best defense in the league.

As far as Tomlin as a coach. He coached like the team played. Up and down and not enough killer instinct here and not enough adjustments there. I think his coaching on the field wasn't as bad as his leadership during the week. Too many distractions going on internally. Whether it was Mendenhall, or Big Ben and Haley. I think his pulse on the team hasn't been good this year.

MillerMania83
12-23-2012, 05:23 PM
This loss falls on Big Ben no doubt, but coaching wasn't too far behind....The defense was AWESOME today, but if our D wld have played and attacked like it today against Oak, Tenn, SD, Cleveland etc....our season wouldnt have come down to this game today...And IMO thats falls on coaching....This team has some serious issues right now, hopefully the proper people address this....Ben IS an elite QB, just has to figure things out and get comfortable in what direction this offense is going to go into the future....Tomlin, he's winning coach and he deserves another shot, but this year he has made some serious/questionable decisions that are starting to throw up warning flags about his decision making....2013 IMO will be a pivotal year for him....This team isn't good enough or deserves to make the playoffs, so I'm glad this torture every week will be over soon....One thing about today, Troy is starting to look like his old self again, lol.

sharkweek
12-23-2012, 05:23 PM
I think Ben is still hurt. Big difference between before getting hurt and after. Tomlin is the goat all year.

definitely

there's just no way we should have had losses to the Browns/Titans/Raiders, or the Bengals today. We this level of talent we should be in 1st place in the division and in contention for 2nd seed, instead we're eliminated.

torpedoshell31
12-23-2012, 05:30 PM
The play calling was awful. Every series was 1st down run for 2 yards, 2nd down run for no gain, 3rd and 8 Ben can't just throw a 5 yard slant because they will be short of the first down. So 3rd and 8 every time means Ben is sacked or hurried and throws the ball up for grabs because of the distance we need to pick up.

Rowland2110
12-23-2012, 05:31 PM

A couple of plays here and there and this team could have easily been a 4 or 6 win team. Considering the light schedule we had, the same team with tougher opponents could have easily yielded a two win result.

A little lesser of a FG kicker and we are probably a 6 win team or worse.

Think about that.

This team never played clean, mistake free football even when it won. Well maybe the win against baltimore was an exception. But they have proven to be not as good as their record at the time as well.

VictoryFormation
12-23-2012, 05:35 PM
When the scheme does not fit the team… Dink ’n Dunk is Junk.

It is apparent that the Todd Haley offense has not worked for the Pittsburgh Steelers. For an offense that is supposed to employ the run as an integral part of the game, the Steelers managed only 93 yards, on 28 attempts. Slant passes, and quick screens netted the Steelers just 220 yards, on 28 attempts. It is true that Ben Roethlisberger had a bad day, completing just 50% of his passes, and throwing 2 interceptions, but this offense does not play to his strengths as a quarterback. Standing in the pocket, and making quick throws is definitely not what Ben Roethliberger does best. He thrives on his ability to move outside the pocket, pump fake, stall the defense, and complete passes down-field. This offense is supposed to protect the quarterback, yet Ben Roethlisberger was sacked 4 times in this game.
The Bengals, on the other hand, were held to just 14 yards on the ground, yet the time of possession between the two teams was nearly 50/50.
There is always room for improvement, but the Steelers are a talented team and they deserve better than Todd Haley.

Won’t you go home, Todd Haley?
Won’t you go home?
Todd Haley won’t you PLEASE go home?

casteeler
12-23-2012, 05:36 PM
Ben made terrible decisions and I think he is playing injured.... If not better draft QB #1 in 2013 because he has lost his ability to read a defense and execute. The Coaching staff with exception of LeBeau should have RED HOT seats because this team has looked like trash since the playoffs of last year. A locker room full of Goats on the offensive side

SoCalFan
12-23-2012, 05:36 PM
Ben was put in a tough spot! Sure he made some bad decisions but EVERY focking series it was run, run pass on 3rd! Horrible play calling, I mean it was like Haley getting revenge on Ben by keeping the ball out of his hands for last weeks post game comments! I actually feel bad for Ben and I'm waiting for an interview blow up by him!

OliverPoop
12-23-2012, 05:38 PM
Is Haley another Ray Sherman?

One year and done?

I doubt it.

plenewken
12-23-2012, 05:39 PM
Watching the last 3 games of the Steelers, I completely understand what the Browns fans are feeling.
The Steelers played garbage football pretty much all year.
Heads need to roll and it starts at the top.
We'll see if the Rooneys give a pass to this pathetic coaching team, mostly HC and OC. And Ben an elite QB?? In your dreams. If he's ever been one, he's been one 2 seasons ago and it was during a very short period

Terminator
12-23-2012, 05:39 PM
I hope so. I hated Haley when he coached the Chiefs and hate him even more now. Guy is a complete scrub.

Terminator
12-23-2012, 05:40 PM
Watching the last 3 games of the Steelers, I completely understand what the Browns fans are feeling.
We'll see if the Rooneys give a pass to this pathetic coaching team, mostly HC and OC. And Ben an elite QB?? In your dreams. If he's ever been one, he's been one 2 seasons ago and it was during a very short period

Ben was never elite. Anyone who put Ben in the same category as Brady, Rodgers, Manning, or Brees needs their head examined.

plenewken
12-23-2012, 05:40 PM
and I was wondering if Lewis and Tomlin were competing for the most idiotic call during this game.
Unbelievable!

Terminator
12-23-2012, 05:43 PM
I'd also like to give a special mention to DeCastro. How many times did he get BURNED this game and last game? What a complete BUST.

plenewken
12-23-2012, 05:43 PM
Thanks Ben for 2 terrible calls 2 weeks in a row. You didn't lose these 2 games alone but you sure didn't help win them.
I haven't seen much great plays from you for at least 2 seasons.
Better shake it off, dude, cause you're not currently not worth the money you're paid.

PhantomJB93
12-23-2012, 05:46 PM
Has to be Ben. The ints were one thing, but he took too many sacks. Some of them were the OLines fault, and he certainly didn't have a lot of time, but there were a couple where he could have easily thrown it away and he took a sack instead. Both picks were 100% his fault and completely awful decisions.

BowCatShot
Ariens. Remember him? He's in the playoffs, isn't he?

Tomlin. Remember him? He's not.

That says it all.

Jahodac
To be fair, he saved the team many times in the past. He did play terrible though and if he were to be elite, he's borderline. He is, however, not replaceable at this time so the team just has to go forward.

BLACK_AND_YELLOW
12-23-2012, 05:47 PM

Stfu about Ben not being ELITE he was doing great early this year & everyone was on his nuts, he missed a month of football and could never knock the rust off cause he has been running for his life since he came back, we was not that good this year so calm the f down.

GoFor7
12-23-2012, 05:47 PM
Thanks Ben for 2 terrible calls 2 weeks in a row. You didn't lose these 2 games alone but you sure didn't help win them.
I haven't seen much great plays from you for at least 2 seasons.
Better shake it off, dude, cause you're not worth the money you're paid.

Translation: "I'm a dumb yinzer! I want 80's and 90's Steelers football! Those teams didn't need no stinkin' QB to win!!!!!!"

When they handcuff Ben for the first 58 minutes of a game, he won't be able to bail the team out each time. Want the offense to score more? Gotta let them try and win the game early on and not worry about TOP.

This has been the theme all this season, try to play the possession game, then if that doesn't work, "HELP BEN BAIL US OUT!"

By the way, isn't it interesting we see some more posters here only when Ben has a bad game? Seems like some of us hope the franchise QB fails...

PhantomJB93
12-23-2012, 05:48 PM
No, it really doesn't

GoFor7
12-23-2012, 05:49 PM
Ariens. Remember him? He's in the playoffs, isn't he?

Tomlin. Remember him? He's not.

That says it all.

Tell that to Artie...

harrison'samonster
12-23-2012, 05:50 PM
congrats to BA and the Colts, but it really doesn't say it all about the Steelers team this year.

Steel Peon
12-23-2012, 05:50 PM
No goat, we are simply not playoff material.

and I was wondering if Lewis and Tomlin were competing for the most idiotic call during this game.
And this was funny.

GoFor7
12-23-2012, 05:51 PM
Ben was never elite. Anyone who put Ben in the same category as Brady, Rodgers, Manning, or Brees needs their head examined.

Except he has one more Lombardi than 3 of those QBs you mentioned. If he's so unimportant, why didn't the Steelers win in the 90's when they had a dominant defense and a stout running game?

Blame Ben all you want for this game, but when you look over the course of the season, he doesn't even come close to being one of the problems on this team.

harrison'samonster
12-23-2012, 05:57 PM
Except he has one more Lombardi than 3 of those QBs you mentioned. If he's so unimportant, why didn't the Steelers win in the 90's when they had a dominant defense and a stout running game?

Blame Ben all you want for this game, but when you look over the course of the season, he doesn't even come close to being one of the problems on this team.

i'd have to agree. It seems like I'm reading a lot of Big Ben hate, but I think people are just upset about the loss today. I don't blame him for this season at all. After coming back from the injury, he's seemed off, but he's been keeping us in games all year.

tony hipchest
12-23-2012, 06:15 PM
ben is the goat. many want to call him a top 5 elite qb, but the top ones dont make the throws that have lost in the last seconds the past 2 weeks.

steelfury02
12-23-2012, 06:22 PM
Go For 7 - you calling out other Steelers fans because they aren't as much of a sofa-football expert as you are, is as "YINZER" as it gets

want to talk about modern football? There is a reason why Ben isn't protected, and it has as much to do with him, as it does the O-line. He is the only QB that relies on the improv as much as he does. There is nothing modern about setting up an O-line to ultimately fail because you want to give your QB 7-10 seconds instead of actually making reads and using his head on a regular basis. Ben has the most guts I've seen out of any quarterback - I think he can get off of trying to prove his toughness and get on board with evolving. I don't want Ben gone - but I hate his piss poor attitude - it screams immature. His decision making is starting to reflect where his head is at - not in the right place.

Do you want to see another SB victory or not? It won't happen with the current version of BR - count on it.

JeromeBetties63
12-23-2012, 06:26 PM

O Line did NOT do their job. Decastro got pushed 8 yards into the backfield the whole second half. Ben was terrible today but there were some very lousy coaching decisions as well.

JeromeBetties63
12-23-2012, 06:27 PM
ben roethlisberger hands down suppose to be a elite qb he has been a elite choker for 3 years

That's just dumb. He never got back after the injury and was terrible down the stretch this year. But choke for three years? Get a clue, bro. :doh:

BLACK_AND_YELLOW
12-23-2012, 06:27 PM
ben is the goat. many want to call him a top 5 elite qb, but the top ones dont make the throws that have lost in the last seconds the past 2 weeks.

Cause most top 5 QBs have great o-lines so they dont have to run for there lifes and have REAL playmakers for receivers...I would pick Ben over any QB you name besides Rodgers

JeromeBetties63
12-23-2012, 06:30 PM
This seasons Offense is Officially called: Bozo and the Clowns ! (Not Ben and the Offense)

An Offense is a reflection of it's Leader, the now well-seasoned QB, Ben.
No Excuses ! Because our DEFENSE just PROVED it TODAY !!!

Ben, during this season, had NO HEART and Soul to even want to win, like he used to.

This behaviour HAS TO CHANGE next season. !

I do think Ben lacked fire this season. Maybe getting married and having a kid made him realize their are more important things than football. He is gonna have to find a way to be a daddy and still have passion for his job. I hate Tom Brady but do you see how fired up he is in games? We need some fire on offense. The Steelers miss Hines Ward.

GoFor7
12-23-2012, 06:30 PM
Go For 7 - you calling out other Steelers fans because they aren't as much of a sofa-football expert as you are, is as "YINZER" as it gets

want to talk about modern football? There is a reason why Ben isn't protected, and it has as much to do with him, as it does the O-line. He is the only QB that relies on the improv as much as he does. There is nothing modern about setting up an O-line to ultimately fail because you want to give your QB 7-10 seconds instead of actually making reads and using his head on a regular basis. Ben has the most guts I've seen out of any quarterback - I think he can get off of trying to prove his toughness and get on board with evolving. I don't want Ben gone - but I hate his piss poor attitude - it screams immature. His decision making is starting to reflect where his head is at - not in the right place.

Do you want to see another SB victory or not? It won't happen with the current version of BR - count on it.

And handcuffing him until the last two minutes of a game, with bubble screens, has proven to be worse than what has happened in previous years. Don't expect him to bail the team out every time if the Steelers are going to continue to play like that. Do YOU want to see another SB victory or not? It won't happen with bubble screens and holding him back until the last 2 minutes. 7-9 or 8-8 proves that.

Perhaps it's time to stop pretending Ben is the problem with this team because of the last two games.

Now, want to know how the Steelers can better protect him and help the o-line? More no-huddle. Keeps the defense on their heels and tires them out. But the Steelers won't do that often enough because they are too concerned with TOP.

It's not Ben's attitude that has to change, it's Art Rooney's outdated philosophies. He needs to understand this isn't an offense built to grind down the clock with long drives. This is an offense built for quick strike with the WRs they have.

torpedoshell31
12-23-2012, 06:32 PM
This year Ben has 23 TD's and 8 interceptions, almost a 3 to 1 ratio. Who should we trade him for Sanchez or Tebow?

harrison'samonster
12-23-2012, 06:33 PM
And handcuffing him until the last two minutes of a game, with bubble screens, has proven to be worse than what has happened in previous years. Don't expect him to bail the team out every time if the Steelers are going to continue to play like that. Do YOU want to see another SB victory or not? It won't happen with bubble screens and holding him back until the last 2 minutes. 7-9 or 8-8 proves that.

Perhaps it's time to stop pretending Ben is the problem with this team because of the last two games.

Now, want to know how the Steelers can better protect him and help the o-line? More no-huddle. Keeps the defense on their heels and tires them out. But the Steelers won't do that often enough because they are too concerned with TOP.

It's not Ben's attitude that has to change, it's Art Rooney's outdated philosophies. He needs to understand this isn't an offense built to grind down the clock with long drives. This is an offense built for quick strike with the WRs they have.

I think the problem with opening up this offense is that nobody respects our running game. They blitz our passing game, they blitz our running game. I think if we fix the RB position, we'll see Big Ben and this WR corpse get back on track.

BLACK_AND_YELLOW
12-23-2012, 06:35 PM
This year Ben has 23 TD's and 8 interceptions, almost a 3 to 1 ratio. Who should we trade him for Sanchez or Tebow?

thats a tough one...what about we trade Ben for Flacco? :rofl:

steeltheone
12-23-2012, 06:36 PM
I do think Ben lacked fire this season. Maybe getting married and having a kid made him realize their are more important things than football. He is gonna have to find a way to be a daddy and still have passion for his job. I hate Tom Brady but do you see how fired up he is in games? We need some fire on offense. The Steelers miss Hines Ward.

Ben was an MVP candidate before his injury!!!

GoFor7
12-23-2012, 06:39 PM
I think the problem with opening up this offense is that nobody respects our running game. They blitz our passing game, they blitz our running game. I think if we fix the RB position, we'll see Big Ben and this WR corpse get back on track.

Wouldn't hurt. But ultimately they need to stop playing so scared. They don't attack, they just sit back and wait for something. Now you can say "Air-head took too many unnecessary risks!" Okay, so now they should just play chicken-shit scared football and wait until the last 2 minutes to use Ben?

Those of you who were clamoring all season "protect Ben!", don't be upset with this offense, because this is exactly what you get when you play that style.

SteeleReign
12-23-2012, 06:41 PM
Ben is NOT the problem. Ben is Ben. He will make some incredible plays and win games for us, and he will make mistakes that hurt us. The issue, which has been for several years, is that he has almost no help from the o-line. It's been incredibly frustrating to watch for so many years. Poor play, multiple and continual injuries, and little attention in the draft have led to a pathetic offensive line.

Couple that with some maddening play calling and what do you expect from Ben. He must feel like the entire offense depends on him escaping with his life and making an amazing play - down after down after down. Pretty heavy burden to bear.

**EDIT - That's only when they aren't running the ball headlong into an 8-man front on first and second down.

btaylor179
12-23-2012, 06:58 PM
tomlin sucks ive said it all season and ben is an average qb.......we wouldve been one and done if we made it......ben is bad

GoFor7
12-23-2012, 06:58 PM
**EDIT - That's only when they aren't running the ball headlong into an 8-man front on first and second down.

And this is why I fail to understand how this season can be blamed on Ben. This is exactly the kind of football Artie wanted them to play this season. Ben can't always save the Steelers from their own stupidity and stubbornness.

torpedoshell31
12-23-2012, 07:01 PM
We should start drafting more football saavy players. If you look at the Patriots they win with guys like Danny Woodhead who would have trouble starting at Robert Morris. Their players know when to run out of bounds, when to stay in bounds, when to come up and catch a punt and not let it roll 30 yards. They don't do the spectacular, they are steady and don't do the stupid things that lose football games.

GoFor7
12-23-2012, 07:02 PM
We should start drafting more football saavy players. If you look at the Patriots they win with guys like Danny Woodhead who would have trouble starting at Robert Morris. Their players know when to run out of bounds, when to stay in bounds, when to come up and catch a punt and not let it roll 30 yards. They don't do the spectacular, they are steady and don't do the stupid things that lose football games.

Or they could get good players and actually make sure their heads are screwed on.

TRH
12-23-2012, 07:15 PM
Ben.
Haley (poor offensive play calling again. No better than an Arians offense today).
Tomlin (once again, didn't appear to have all of the team ready. And REALLY dumb decision by attempting that long FG, that everyone knew he would miss, setting up poor field position - AGAIN)

You can also add the offensive line to the weekly "goat" award. Once again, they played atrociously for the most part, couldn't open holes, couldn't protect our QB for more than a second and a half. DeCastro surprisingly got abused today, hopefully it was just from favoring his recent injury and that he'll learn from it too.
Brown - keeps making bad mental mistakes.

TRH
12-23-2012, 07:18 PM
Cause most top 5 QBs have great o-lines so they dont have to run for there lifes and have REAL playmakers for receivers...I would pick Ben over any QB you name besides Rodgers

That is true, even though Ben threw a game deciding INT.

Rogers actually has gotten very little protection this year - but if you watched Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, Andrew Luck and a few others this year - they had ALLLLLLLLLLL day to stand back there and throw the ball. It's ridiculous.
Ben, on the other hand, as witnessed once again today, has like 1.5 second before he's swarmed on. There was only one play today that i can remember where he had all day to throw, maybe two.

steelfury02
12-23-2012, 07:23 PM

where's your proof that this is somehow the ownership's doing, other than Ben being pissy and saying "The fans should be happy."

If Ben is the be all, end all with this offense, and is bigger than the franchise as you put it - then the last two losses are squarely on him. Two awful throws on their own side of the field. That has nothing to do with philosophy, and everything to do with him not willing to live to play another down. I blame the whole offense, not just Ben - but he's the main culprit on that side of the ball. If we are supposed to go by today's modern NFL, then what exactly has Ben done for me lately with his supposed "strength" ? Not much. It hasn't meant the difference in the outcomes of huge games. Ben apologists need to wake up and realize he can't keep leaning on the live and die by the sword shit. He is losing games he used to win. You can't sit there and say he is bigger than the franchise and then say people can't dump on him. Who is responsible then if not for the biggest, most important guy on the team? Ben is no longer the difference maker on that side of the ball. It used to be, "ah well, we'll keep it close and Ben will pull it out at the end."

It's getting to be a long time since I've witnessed him win a game with playoff implications or the division on the line.

GoFor7
12-23-2012, 07:33 PM
where's your proof that this is somehow the ownership's doing, other than Ben being pissy and saying "The fans should be happy."

If Ben is the be all, end all with this offense, and is bigger than the franchise as you put it - then the last two losses are squarely on him. Two awful throws on their own side of the field. That has nothing to do with philosophy, and everything to do with him not willing to live to play another down. I blame the whole offense, not just Ben - but he's the main culprit on that side of the ball. If we are supposed to go by today's modern NFL, then what exactly has Ben done for me lately with his supposed "strength" ? Not much. It hasn't meant the difference in the outcomes of huge games. Ben apologists need to wake up and realize he can't keep leaning on the live and die by the sword shit. He is losing games he used to win. You can't sit there and say he is bigger than the franchise and then say people can't dump on him. Who is responsible then if not for the biggest, most important guy on the team?

You still aren't listening. Let me spell it out.....

When. You. Handcuff. Ben. For. The. First. Fifty. Eight. Minutes. Of. The. Game. Then. Ask. Him. To. Bail. The. Team. Out. In. The. Last. Two. Minutes. He's. Not. Going. To. Do. It. Every. Time. Maybe. They. Should. Let. Him. Do. More. Earlier. In. The. Game. To. Try. And. Win. It. Early.

Guess what steelfury, when your team wants to RUTM on the first two downs, he won't be successful each time on 3rd down. When bubble screens get tackled behind the LOS, he can't make all of it up all the time. They call those plays because their scared he'll get injured or worry about TOP. Yes, it very much DOES have to do with philosophy. The Steelers need to realize they cannot play like that anymore.

steelfury02
12-23-2012, 07:36 PM

When. You. Handcuff. Ben. For. The. First. Fifty. Eight. Minutes. Of. The. Game. Then. Ask. Him. To. Bail. The. Team. Out. In. The. Last. Two. Minutes. He's. Not. Going. To. Do. It. Every. Time. Maybe. They. Should. Let. Him. Do. More. Earlier. In. The. Game. To. Try. And. Win. It. Early.

Guess what steelfury, when your team wants to RUTM on the first two downs, he won't be successful each time on 3rd down. When bubble screens get tackled behind the LOS, he can't make all of it up all the time. They call those plays because their scared he'll get injured or worry about TOP. Yes, it very much DOES have to do with philosophy. The Steelers need to realize they cannot play like that anymore.

You seem to have a lot of experience with periods.:chuckle: Thanks, I completely get it now:thumbsup:

cowherpower
12-23-2012, 07:44 PM

Rogers actually has gotten very little protection this year - but if you watched Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, Andrew Luck and a few others this year - they had ALLLLLLLLLLL day to stand back there and throw the ball. It's ridiculous.
Ben, on the other hand, as witnessed once again today, has like 1.5 second before he's swarmed on. There was only one play today that i can remember where he had all day to throw, maybe two.

Well, when your QB can call out correct protections, direct his line to the coming blitzes for pickup, and audible, of course it will seem like their lines are so good. Teams can't play up and blitz all the time because they know those QB will burn them. They don't have that fear with Ben. They don't respect his ability to win the mental game so they just bring the house all day. No line can stand up to that. Not saying our line is good but I have a feeling if Peyton was playing behind it, it would magically be called outstanding before too long. Brown and Wallace would be easy 1000 yard receivers and that would open things up for our RBs.

cowherpower
12-23-2012, 07:47 PM

I could have sworn that pick six happened early in the game and not the last two minutes where they were 'forcing' Ben to win the game after wasting his immense talents for the first fifty eight.

steelfury02
12-23-2012, 07:59 PM
I could have sworn that pick six happened early in the game and not the last two minutes where they were 'forcing' Ben to win the game after wasting his immense talents for the first fifty eight.

When Ben goes deep into the playoffs, everyone else's input be damned, let me know, cause I've been waiting for a little while now . . .:coffee:

Blackout
12-23-2012, 08:03 PM
Ben was playing probably the best of his career before his injury this year. Such a shame.

ZoneBlitzer
12-23-2012, 08:07 PM
Ben was playing probably the best of his career before his injury this year. Such a shame.

Injury is just an excuse. You rely on a veteran to have the wisdom btw the ears. Ben didn't demonstrate that AT ALL.

Blackout
12-23-2012, 08:10 PM
Injury is just an excuse. You rely on a veteran to have the wisdom btw the ears. Ben didn't demonstrate that AT ALL.

And I don't want to bring up the Haley/BB relationship, since I think it's a lot of media hype.

But bad playcalling and boneheaded decisions by BB definitely cost us. And seriously can we stop running up the middle, please?

BLACK_AND_YELLOW
12-23-2012, 08:12 PM

im just saying look what he did before the injury and then after he does not look the same, just everyone calm down I would rather miss the playoffs then get knocked out of the first game of the playoffs...

GoFor7
12-23-2012, 08:13 PM
And seriously can we stop running up the middle, please?

But haven't you figured it out? That's Stillers Football. Gotta be like the old team and make granddaddy proud. And when it doesn't work, Ben's gotta bail us out or he stinks.

mikegrimey
12-23-2012, 08:13 PM

The colts don't have a very good o line, they haven't for a few years. The Packers too, you don't need the 9ers line to have great QB play.. Also the year Brady went down, Matt Cassel took A LOT of sacks. Brady and Mannings low sack number is as much due to their ability to quickly read defenses and get rid of the ball as anything... Today the Bengals got a lot of pressure on Ben, but people frequently exaggerate the shortcomings of the line to excuse shoddy play from him

GoFor7
12-23-2012, 08:17 PM
The colts don't have a very good o line, they haven't for a few years. The Packers too, you don't need the 9ers line to have great QB play.. Also the year Brady went down, Matt Cassel took A LOT of sacks. Brady and Mannings low sack number is as much due to their ability to quickly read defenses and get rid of the ball as anything... Today the Bengals got a lot of pressure on Ben, but people frequently exaggerate the shortcomings of the line to excuse shoddy play from him

Those guys hold onto the ball for several seconds at times, and they don't get killed. But you know what else those teams do? A lot of no-huddle. They tire out the other team's defense and don't allow them to change personnel. The Steelers could try doing that, but then they'd have to stop worrying about time of possession.

Terrapin
12-23-2012, 09:12 PM

What minute of the game was Ben's pick 6?

Terrapin
12-23-2012, 09:18 PM

And maybe the reason for those bubble screens is because of personnel. Arians loved them and so does Haley. Why? I've watched a lot of Colts games this year and I don't think I saw one bubble screen. Could it be that our diminutive primadonna WRs can't/won't run across the middle? Do you ever see 15yd 'in' routes from Wallace? How bout quick slants to Brown? The only one that'll run anything other than a fly patter is Sanders, and he can't catch. Why Burress wasn't dressed again is another Tomlin mystery.

Steel Warrior
12-23-2012, 09:33 PM
Tell me, why in the world with 44 secs to go would you call those plays? That was totally unbelievable . Run the clock out and go to OT. Our D was holding them, take your chances in OT. Plus, if you're going to throw it, it's got to be way down the field, hoping for a completion. a miss, or a PI, not where it could be picked. Has someone been feeding Tomlin, Haley, and Ben stupid pills!? Yesh, what a way to lose a game. Doesn't matter I guess, we'd be fodder to the top teams in the AFC anyhow.

ZoneBlitzer
12-23-2012, 09:36 PM
He's not only stupid, he's a great coach too

El-Gonzo Jackson
12-23-2012, 09:42 PM

I agree. The INT in OT last week vs the Cowboys, the fact you miss Chris Rainey in the endzone with Mauluga on him, overthrow Wallace when he beats Adam Jones in the 1st half and the overthrow INT to hand the game over today..........Ben has just been sub par.

I do think the shoulder injury has hampered the throwing motion and he isnt his self. I also think the best RB on the team is Mendenhall, but either his attitude or Tomlin's stubborness in making a point handcuffed the run game.

Lots to do in the offseason, such as look for successors to Foote, Harrison and a backup Safety, probably look for a replacement to Wallace and sign a 225 lb RB with some decent speed, as Mendenhall is likely gone.

Again, injuries and key mistakes cost all season long in losing to teams we could have beat like Titans, Raiders, Cowboys, Bengals. I say start Charlie Batch next week, get the best draft pick we can and start scouting talent.

tanda10506
12-23-2012, 09:49 PM
Think about this, the only reason Tomlin was even able to make the terrible 54 yard FG call is because Marvin Lewis HAD JUST MADE THE SAME FUCK UP. Our offense couldn't move the ball all damn day, if Lewis would have chose to punt and pin us back like they had all game then we would likely have not even been able to get to the 50 yard line, let alone FG range, yet Tomlin mimicked what he just watched fail. That's like watching someone burn there hands on something hot and then putting your hands on what that person burnt themselves on.

AndyWitmyer
12-23-2012, 09:52 PM
Think about this, the only reason Tomlin was even able to make the terrible 54 yard FG call is because Marvin Lewis HAD JUST MADE THE SAME FUCK UP. Our offense couldn't move the ball all damn day, if Lewis would have chose to punt and pin us back like they had all game then we would likely have not even been able to get to the 50 yard line, let alone FG range, yet Tomlin mimicked what he just watched fail. That's like watching someone burn there hands on something hot and then putting your hands on what that person burnt themselves on.

That's bad enough in and of itself - but he made the same exact mistake earlier this year and it also pretty much cost us the game. I think we've pretty much determined now that Suisham is accurate from 40+ yards out - and up to 52 yards - but not one yard further. Period. Especially not in Hines Field.

:doh:

madtowndrunkard
12-23-2012, 09:57 PM
attempting those FG's was just insane. When I saw Cinci go for that FG, my thought was " they have ZERO respect for our offense" No one goes for a FG that long, in that situation, unless you think the opponents offense is a joke.

Then Tomlin does it... I couldn't believe my eyes. With our defense shutting them down like they did, why would you not punt? So many bad decisions week after week from Tomlin.

If we aren't turning the ball over, our HC is setting us up to fail.

BmoreStyles
12-23-2012, 09:58 PM

This is just plain wrong. Despite his inconsistent play recently, Ben is an elite QB. With 40 seconds left in a tied game with the season riding on the line, you don't take a knee!!! That's incredibly stupid. You may never get the ball back in overtime, and if your reason for taking a knee is that you couldn't move the ball, who's to say you're going to move the ball in overtime? Hindsight is 20/20, but it was 100% the right decision, just poor execution.

jiminpa
12-23-2012, 10:01 PM
serious?

ben is more to blame, haley didn't tell him to throw 2 interceptions im sure.

i do have a problem with haley's personnel decisions though, mendenhall should have carried the rock more, dwyer/red were ineffective against cincy's run defenders up the middleI'm more inclined to believe that was on Tomlin than Haley. Tomlin has a real personal problem with Mendenhall, and he's not afraid to take it out on the team through the scoreboard. I just hope the Rooneys have noticed.

ZoneBlitzer
12-23-2012, 10:10 PM
This is just plain wrong. Despite his inconsistent play recently, Ben is an elite QB. With 40 seconds left in a tied game with the season riding on the line, you don't take a knee!!! That's incredibly stupid. You may never get the ball back in overtime, and if your reason for taking a knee is that you couldn't move the ball, who's to say you're going to move the ball in overtime? Hindsight is 20/20, but it was 100% the right decision, just poor execution.

You got to pick your spots and play the percentages. The Steelers D was having outstanding day. Your odds in OT would've been much better than the likelihood of driving the 60 odd yards in 40 seconds.

SteelCurtain5643
12-23-2012, 10:11 PM
Well I didnt watch today because I was at work(I work at a bakery and we were crazy busy getting stuff ready for tomorrow), but I listened on the radio. I was so pissed but not surprised at all. This team sucked this year and should be embarassed. They didnt deserve to be in the playoffs and they showed it today. Losing to teams such as Tennessee, Oakland, Cleveland, San Diego, Dalls, thats what killed us, this team had all the potential in the world to be a contender this year and couldnt win a big game to save their lives. They even had golden opprotunities to win the North and couldn't take advantage. So be it. Can't win em all. I really hope maybe this sends a message to the Rooneys that we need some retooling this winter to make this team better and younger. Hopefully with that, we'll be back and ready to make a run in 2013. Now I just gotta decide who I wanna root for in the playoffs.

jiminpa
12-23-2012, 10:13 PM
Go For 7 -
Do you want to see another SB victory or not? It won't happen with the current version of BR - count on it.I don't think he does.

GoFor7
12-23-2012, 10:15 PM
I'm more inclined to believe that was on Tomlin than Haley. Tomlin has a real personal problem with Mendenhall, and he's not afraid to take it out on the team through the scoreboard. I just hope the Rooneys have noticed.

I'm not really sure they want Mendenhall back anyways.

And maybe the reason for those bubble screens is because of personnel. Arians loved them and so does Haley. Why? I've watched a lot of Colts games this year and I don't think I saw one bubble screen. Could it be that our diminutive primadonna WRs can't/won't run across the middle? Do you ever see 15yd 'in' routes from Wallace? How bout quick slants to Brown? The only one that'll run anything other than a fly patter is Sanders, and he can't catch. Why Burress wasn't dressed again is another Tomlin mystery.

That's because these guys are speedsters, not dink-and-dunk receivers. These guys are too small to constantly take hits running across the middle by LBs. Everyone refers to New England's dinking-and-dunking - guess what? They actually have a pretty good #2 tight end in Aaron Hernandez. He can make though tough catches in the middle of the field because of his size. David Paulson and Lenard Pope are not the answers - they should have gotten a #2 TE with a better pedigree.

GoFor7
12-23-2012, 10:17 PM
I don't think he does.

I think some people have trouble reading as well. You've made it quite clear with some of your posts you're one of them.

BmoreStyles
12-23-2012, 10:17 PM
You got to pick your spots and play the percentages. The Steelers D was having outstanding day. Your odds in OT would've been much better than the likelihood of driving the 60 odd yards in 40 seconds.

Tom Brady, Drew Brees, Peyton Manning... You give any of those QBs the ball with 40 seconds left and the season on the line, and they're going to go for it. I'm a Ravens fan so I'm not blinded by my bias on this particular subject, but I think of Ben as an elite QB. Maybe not as elite as those that I named, but ELITE. I've seen him do it too many times. You give any elite QB 40 seconds to get in field goal position, I'd say you have to be a fool not to go for it.

jiminpa
12-23-2012, 10:22 PM
Injury is just an excuse. You rely on a veteran to have the wisdom btw the ears. Ben didn't demonstrate that AT ALL.Nah, he left the best of what was between his ears on the Veteran's Bridge. He's a dumb athlete who thinks he's bigger than the franchise, but the franchise will be aiming for championships long after Ben's "glory days," are a distant memory.

GoFor7
12-23-2012, 10:24 PM
Nah, he left the best of what was between his ears on the Veteran's Bridge. He's a dumb athlete who thinks he's bigger than the franchise, but the franchise will be aiming for championships long after Ben's "glory days," are a distant memory.

He can't be dumber than you jiminpa.....

But I know you don't have the time to make intelligent posts because you're too busy counting all those Steeler super bowl victories from the 80's and 90's.

jiminpa
12-23-2012, 10:28 PM
I think some people have trouble reading as well. You've made it quite clear with some of your posts you're one of them.I don't have much trouble reading at all, but you seem to have a lot of trouble comprehending. But maybe I'm just some dumb yinzer too stupid to realize your genius, or maybe it's that you're a player groupie, and have no love for the team at all. Which of those theories is there more evidence for, I wonder.

GoFor7
12-23-2012, 10:33 PM
I don't have much trouble reading at all, but you seem to have a lot of trouble comprehending. But maybe I'm just some dumb yinzer too stupid to realize your genius, or maybe it's that you're a player groupie, and have no love for the team at all. Which of those theories is there more evidence for, I wonder.

Oh I never claimed to be a genius, but you're right about the dumb yinzer part. Some of you really think the team is better without Ben, when history suggests that couldn't be further from the truth.

Not sure how Ben has ego issues btw. Cause he made some bad throws? Not sure how that adds up to a big ego. Does that mean every QB in the league with more INTs than Ben has a bigger ego? Considering he's been dumbed down to a Mike Tomzack for much of the season, only lashing out at the play calling once says he's a good soldier.

lardlad
12-23-2012, 10:51 PM

Except Ben misses them on the deep ball quite a bit.

lardlad
12-23-2012, 11:02 PM

Very true. The way Ben plays is anything but modern. Mostly effective, but the Yinzer thing is old and doesn't hold up.

Rotorhead
12-23-2012, 11:11 PM
The fieldgoal was a nonfactor, punting would not have made a difference. Ben's pick lost the game, the bad snap on the 24 ydr lost the game, Ben's pick six lost the game, our offense that couldnt move the ball lost the game.

ZoneBlitzer
12-23-2012, 11:15 PM
The fieldgoal was a nonfactor, punting would not have made a difference. Ben's pick lost the game, the bad snap on the 24 ydr lost the game, Ben's pick six lost the game, our offense that couldnt move the ball lost the game.

Don't forget the times when Ben could've run for a first down. A smart savvy veteran QB would recognize the importance of maintaining possession and moving the chains.

jiminpa
12-23-2012, 11:20 PM
Don't forget the times when Ben could've run for a first down. A smart savvy veteran QB would recognize the importance of maintaining possession and moving the chains.
Ben has never been interested in simply moving the chains.

GoFor7
12-23-2012, 11:21 PM
Except Ben misses them on the deep ball quite a bit.

And they are too small to run across the middle of the field on a consistent basis. Then again, when you hardly throw deep it's not surprising you have issues connecting. Still, something they need to work on.

Blackout
12-23-2012, 11:21 PM
Ben has never been interested in simply moving the chains.

He wants to play heroball.

lardlad
12-23-2012, 11:25 PM
Ok back to the OP.

I don't want Ben gone. He is a great QB. I don't believe he is anywhere near the top of the list in offseason concerns. But you cannot defend him in this game, you just can't. If we want to talk about his career and the past 30 years of football, fine that is another argument. Scale it back to this game, and this game only, Ben blew it. Ben gave them 6 early, and then the game at the end.

The wonderful Payton Manning threw a pick to lose a SB… Ben can come back from this.

jiminpa
12-23-2012, 11:29 PM
Ok back to the OP.

I don't want Ben gone. He is a great QB. I don't believe he is anywhere near the top of the list in offseason concerns. But you cannot defend him in this game, you just can't. If we want to talk about his career and the past 30 years of football, fine that is another argument. Scale it back to this game, and this game only, Ben blew it. Ben gave them 6 early, and then the game at the end.

The wonderful Payton Manning threw a pick to lose a SB… Ben can come back from this.
I question his willingness to come back from this. He doesn't like Haley. He doesn't like solid offensive strategy. He wants to call his own plays, even though that usually ends badly. He doesn't want to develop into the QB he has always had the potential to be. He doesn't want to be coached. And it looks like if he has to lose games to get what he wants, he is willing to do just that.

lardlad
12-23-2012, 11:35 PM
:tt:And they are too small to run across the middle of the field on a consistent basis. Then again, when you hardly throw deep it's not surprising you have issues connecting. Still, something they need to work on.

Maybe so but size has little to do with it. Walker has no problem going across the middle. Hines Ward likely makes the hall of fame going across the middle, he wasn't big.

GoFor7
12-23-2012, 11:36 PM
I question his willingness to come back from this. He doesn't like Haley. He doesn't like solid offensive strategy. He wants to call his own plays, even though that usually ends badly. He doesn't want to develop into the QB he has always had the potential to be. He doesn't want to be coached. And it looks like if he has to lose games to get what he wants, he is willing to do just that.

Yeah, because Ben has a history of intentionally losing games. :coffee:

Maybe Ben is tired of being turned into Mike Tomzack with bubble screens, then being asked to bail the team out on 3rd down.

lardlad
12-23-2012, 11:37 PM

I really hope you are wrong, but that has crossed my mind. But I think he will be fine.

jiminpa
12-23-2012, 11:48 PM
Yeah, because Ben has a history of intentionally losing games. :coffee:

Maybe Ben is tired of being turned into Mike Tomzack with bubble screens, then being asked to bail the team out on 3rd down.Ben is a friggin player, and not the smartest player on the field either. He is not the owner. He is not the coach. He is not the franchise. He is a player. If they want him to make a few Mike Tomczyk throws, or even mostly Mike Tomczyk throws that's his job, and guess what, it's a solid strategy. He is getting paid to hand the ball off or throw it to wherever he is told to throw it, and he hasn't been doing a very good job of that lately.

GoFor7
12-23-2012, 11:53 PM
Ben is a friggin player, and not the smartest player on the field either. He is not the owner. He is not the coach. He is not the franchise. He is a player. If they want him to make a few Mike Tomczyk throws, or even mostly Mike Tomczyk throws that's his job, and guess what, it's a solid strategy. He is getting paid to hand the ball off or throw it to wherever he is told to throw it, and he hasn't been doing a very good job of that lately.

Actually, yeah he kind of is. Without him, 8-8 will look like a championship season.

So bubble screens are an effective strategy? Tell me, what have they led to?

Time to come out of the 70's.

Lady Steel
12-24-2012, 12:19 AM
Ben gets a big lump of coal from me.

jiminpa
12-24-2012, 12:32 AM
Actually, yeah he kind of is. Without him, 8-8 will look like a championship season.

So bubble screens are an effective strategy? Tell me, what have they led to?

Time to come out of the 70's.So when he retires, or gets traded to jacksonville, or Detroit to collect a paycheck for his first two years of retirement the Steelers are going to fold up? Sell the team, Ben's gone. Yeah, no! You do realize that he led the offense to give up more points than it scored in at least three of those losses this year, and that the offense didn't look any worse with him out than it has since he came back.

He's not the franchise he is just an employee, and Steelers will be going for Lombardi's long after he's trying to trade home-burnt copies of the final drive of Superbowl 43 for free beers, and trying to convince menopausal women that he used to be a great football player, and that they should know who he is, while you are holding protest marches in Canton lobbying for his nomination to the hall of fame.

GoFor7
12-24-2012, 01:27 AM
So when he retires, or gets traded to jacksonville, or Detroit to collect a paycheck for his first two years of retirement the Steelers are going to fold up? Sell the team, Ben's gone. Yeah, no! You do realize that he led the offense to give up more points than it scored in at least three of those losses this year, and that the offense didn't look any worse with him out than it has since he came back.

He's not the franchise he is just an employee, and Steelers will be going for Lombardi's long after he's trying to trade home-burnt copies of the final drive of Superbowl 43 for free beers, and trying to convince menopausal women that he used to be a great football player, and that they should know who he is, while you are holding protest marches in Canton lobbying for his nomination to the hall of fame.

So how many super bowls did the Steelers win between Terry and Ben?

I don't see you post much when Ben has a good game...

therocksteeler
12-24-2012, 05:05 AM
The front office needs to carry some of this load. I mean during the games this year we have all scratched our heads and thought what are they thinking by running this play, using this player?? Talent or lack there of, able to develop new leadership within team resides with their decision making at the begining of year. I only hope as a group they can right this ship without damaging our strengths and what has made us great.

FacemeIke
12-24-2012, 07:28 AM
I mean, yeah, Ben played bad. He shouldn't have made that throw in the fourth quarter. But, seriously, he can only run the plays that Haley calls also, and that was some pretty $hitty play calling. Cincy loaded the box on first for the run, then expected a slow developing play action on 2nd and then we were in 3rd in 8. The offense was so predictable it was pathetic.

Not only that, but there were huge personnel issues too. Mendenhall should have been in more. There was also a play at one point where we actually attempted to throw the ball on 2nd down and heath and paulson were our wideouts. Seriously!? We've barely thrown the ball all game, wtf is Paulson taking the snap and not brown or wallace? I'm sure I missed others that were like that too. So, really, what is Ben supposed to do with that. Coaches can make quarterbacks look really bad at times, and I think thats what happened more than anything. Haley has to go.

TRH
12-24-2012, 08:50 AM
some of the most ridiculous comments i've ever seen.

Ben's a franchise player. Period. End of story. Guess what? Other teams have them too.

Get over it.

El-Gonzo Jackson
12-24-2012, 09:01 AM
Ben gets a big lump of coal from me.

Yeah, but the sad thing is that we will never know how bad the shoulder/sternum injury hampered play.

I think he was starting to get things moving in the right direction, but injuries to Brown, Colon, Pouncey, Gilbert, Adams, Cotchery, Mendenhall and finally Ben....derailed a lot of the progress that was going on.

It was either an injured Ben or a healthy Charlie Batch. I say we start Batch this week and play for the best draft pick we can find.

TRH
12-24-2012, 09:04 AM
Yeah, but the sad thing is that we will never know how bad the shoulder/sternum injury hampered play.

I think he was starting to get things moving in the right direction, but injuries to Brown, Colon, Pouncey, Gilbert, Adams, Cotchery, Mendenhall and finally Ben....derailed a lot of the progress that was going on.

It was either an injured Ben or a healthy Charlie Batch. I say we start Batch this week and play for the best draft pick we can find.

I hear what you are saying - but no NFL team plays "for a draft pick". Especially this one. We'll be on the field to win.
Thats known as a "loser" move in the NFL, to play for a pick. We just don't do it, ever.