PDA

View Full Version : Fire Tomlin

Cyphon
12-23-2012, 03:28 PM
Thread title says it all. He is competely failing us as a coach. We have maybe more talent than I can ever remember watching and we fail to make the playoffs. Tomlin has made shitty decision after shitty decision.

Maybe if he went Cowher would come back.

SteelersCanada
12-23-2012, 03:32 PM
Well, this thread is going to last long.

Closed in 3 ...

Tulsa
12-23-2012, 03:37 PM
Those who had problems with Cowher....I don't think any of those problems were because we lacked fundamentals. Tomlin's teams lacks fundamentals at times....and he has a low football IQ.

Prime examples ...why in the world would you attempt a 54 yard FG in that situation? Why did he go for a FG on 4th and 1 from the 6? Why not take a knee with 40 seconds left when your QB is obviously struggling and your leading WR is out?

mikegrimey
12-23-2012, 03:41 PM
Those who had problems with Cowher....I don't think any of those problems were because we lacked fundamentals. Tomlin's teams lacks fundamentals at times....and he has a low football IQ.

Prime examples ...why in the world would you attempt a 54 yard FG in that situation? Why did he go for a FG on 4th and 1 from the 6? Why not take a knee with 40 seconds left when your QB is obviously struggling and your leading WR is out?

I only agree with your first point
The long FG

Going for a chip shot FG when it's the first half and your only down by 7 is an easy decision, the odds of a miss are very low, you can't just call it bad coaching because of a rare miss

Also it's fine to try and win the game at the end, that's a case of just being outplayed

Tomlin won't be fired, I'd be shocked if he was, but I think the op seriously overrates some of the talent on this team
Could they be better? Easily
Do you really think they trump every other team w pure talent? I dont

Rowland2110
12-23-2012, 03:41 PM
After trying to move the ball with 44 seconds left. I want Tomlin out of here now. This season is 100% on coaching. Anybody who cant see that has blinders on.

Rowland2110
12-23-2012, 03:42 PM
I only agree with your first point
The long FG

Going for a chip shot FG when it's the first half and your only down by 7 is an easy decision, the odds of a miss are very low, you can't just call it bad coaching because of a rare miss

Also it's fine to try and win the game at the end, that's a case of just being outplayed

Tomlin won't be fired, I'd be shocked if he was, but I think the op seriously overrates some of the talent on this team
Could they be better? Easily
Do you really think they trump every other team w pure talent? I dont

Talent or not his decisions all year long have left me wondering if he deserves to be a HC in the NFL.

Blackout
12-23-2012, 03:42 PM
I just want Tomlin to start disciplining the veterans on this team to produce better and consistent results. Stop doghousing the RB situation and figure out what to do better on offense next year.

To some degree I am glad the Steelers lost so we could see some big changes next year, or so I hope.

ZoneBlitzer
12-23-2012, 03:45 PM
Sticky this. I'm done. This guy is an idiot. He can't prepare. He makes idiotic decisions. And he can't coach.

tanda10506
Ben's the one who really cost us this game. The offense, led by him, was terrible all day. Ben actually gave up more points (the pick 6 and the INT for the game winning FG) then he made (the one TD pass to A. Brown). This is the third game this season where he's had a chance to win the game, and not only does he not make the drive, he loses the game. The offense has WAY too much talent too be this shitty, and we've already chanced our OC, so who's to blame?

Tomlin's FG attempt was a complete dumb ass call but ultimately the defense bailed us out AGAIN. The offense should have at least been able to get in decent FG range in at least one of their last 2 tries, that combined with our terrible offense and Ben's INT"s is why we lost the game though, not Tomlin's call.
That said, I'm sure I'm in the minority here, but I agree. The problem is: who could we get that's better? I would definitely like to see Cowher come back, but that's unlikely, and the other good coach's that come to mind have been retired for a while also.

FrancoLambert
Another example of Tomlin's coaching genius.
In a big spot he usually makes the wrong decision.
His persona inflates his prowess as a coach.

chizzler
Why shut it down? this question has meret. I agree Tomlin has been horrible all year IMO. This team is undisciplined. Constantly making mental mistakes. the Defense hasn"t gotten turn overs on a consistant basis. Every year, this team would be at the top of the plus and minus. They can't tackle. Throwing yourself at a player isn't tackling.
I was listening to an interviwe with Boomer Isaiason. He said he was talking to Cower in between halves of the games about the Steelers lack of causing turnovers. Cower said that they practiced stripping the ball every practice. It doesn't seem they are practicing this still.
The offense obviously makes blunders as well as today and last week can attest. Trying a 50 yarder in Hienz field isn't smart. Antonio Browns consistent dumb ass playing is getting old.

No I don't think this should be shut down.

ZoneBlitzer
12-23-2012, 03:47 PM
After trying to move the ball with 44 seconds left. I want Tomlin out of here now. This season is 100% on coaching. Anybody who cant see that has blinders on.

This is so TRUE. Only an idiot would do what he did. The O struggled pathetically all day long and now you think you are magically going to move the ball??

Rowland2110
12-23-2012, 03:49 PM
I just want Tomlin to start disciplining the veterans on this team to produce better and consistent results. Stop doghousing the RB situation and figure out what to do better on offense next year.

To some degree I am glad the Steelers lost so we could see some big changes next year, or so I hope.

Agreed. Making the playoffs would have just sugar coated this teams problems.

Millers the sh!t
12-23-2012, 03:56 PM
Tomlin sucks as a coach. And Ben ain't clutch. Not worth arguing about, its just the facts.

Chris Fuamatu-Ma'afala
12-23-2012, 03:57 PM
Winning a Super Bowl shouldn't make him invincible.

Rooney's need to evaluate this situation very closely.

eafratitpm3
12-23-2012, 03:59 PM
If you haven't seen Mike T's press conference you didn't miss anything. Just go back and look at all this years losses press conferences. Same old song and dance! Thanks for getting the team ready Mike T!

ZoneBlitzer
12-23-2012, 04:00 PM
Winning a Super Bowl shouldn't make him invincible.

Rooney's need to evaluate this situation very closely.

He Switzered it. Plain and simple. Even in that game the O went to sleep and they almost lost. Ben was clutch then but he ain't no more.

PhantomJB93
12-23-2012, 04:07 PM
Why wouldn't you try to score with 44 seconds left? 44 seconds is a long fucking time in a two minute drill. If it were ten seconds then yeah you kneel it. You have an elite franchise quarterback who excels in the two minute drill and the 4th quarter. It's not his fault Ben made a stupid throw. Ben could have just as easily wound up driving down the field and saving the season, and Tomlin would be a hero.

OliverPoop
12-23-2012, 04:10 PM
I agree with all of you but you know that Tomlin isn't going anywhere!

But it is fun to imagine I know.

torpedoshell31
12-23-2012, 04:11 PM
I was shocked when I saw Ben standing in the shotgun when we got the ball back with 40 seconds to go and on our own ten yard line. Granted we would have probably done something stupid in OT to lose the game, but good grief you take a knee in that situation and take your chances in OT.

PhantomJB93
12-23-2012, 04:12 PM
And Ben ain't clutch? Not this season so much, but that's a damn idiotic statement. You can't just discount everything he's done in his career.

pittpete
12-23-2012, 04:17 PM
A 54 yard FG attempt into the open end of the stadium.
I walked out of the room before the kick.
I knew the outcome and so should an NFL head coach.
Fire Tomlin?
No, but he should be on the hot seat moving forward

ZoneBlitzer
12-23-2012, 04:20 PM
And Ben ain't clutch? Not this season so much, but that's a damn idiotic statement. You can't just discount everything he's done in his career.

I'm not. But he hasn't been as clutch of late. He used to be Mr. Clutch. And now, I haven't been feeling so good about our chances the last couple of seasons when the ball is in his hands. I think things are evening out for him and he's turning into a latter day Brett Favre.

ZoneBlitzer
12-23-2012, 04:22 PM
:tt04:I was shocked when I saw Ben standing in the shotgun when we got the ball back with 40 seconds to go and on our own ten yard line. Granted we would have probably done something stupid in OT to lose the game, but good grief you take a knee in that situation and take your chances in OT.

I feel like saying this like Herm Edwards...."YOU TAKE A KNEEEE"

BritishSteel
12-23-2012, 04:23 PM
I agree with all of you but you know that Tomlin isn't going anywhere!

But it is fun to imagine I know.

Quite. This is a team that hasn't sacked a head coach since the Merger. It's not going to happen. And that's from someone who thought the coaching today on the O side of the ball was very poor.

That said, there's been a lack of discipline in this team all year, both in terms of penalties (though that's improved in recent weeks) and in all-round play. Key personnel have underperformed and it's shown repeatedly in sloppy performances against poor teams. This has to change, and it has to come from Tomlin.

The Bungles aren't going to get worse - they're a young team with a good D, solid ST and the inckling of a decent offence. If we don't wanna be scrapping for Wildcard spots over the next few years, Tomlin has to get this squad by the scruff and give it a damn good shake. There are some critical player decisions to come in the Spring, and we have to get it right.

OliverPoop
12-23-2012, 04:33 PM
I'm not. But he hasn't been as clutch of late. He used to be Mr. Clutch. And now, I haven't been feeling so good about our chances the last couple of seasons when the ball is in his hands. I think things are evening out for him and he's turning into a latter day Brett Favre.

I'm totally with you on the Big Ben becoming Brett Favre comparison.

- -Too reluctant to change.
-- Wants to do "backyard football" way too much.
-- Throws costly interceptions when the game is on the line.
-- Stuck in the past.
--Too many people want to make him a legend that isn't necessarily justified (despite 3 SB appearances).

I've defended this guy since the beginning but now I fear that his best days are behind him and isn't this elite superstar anymore that we've all made him out to be. I used to get angry when people didn't mention BB in the top 5 QB's but now I definitely see that in fact he never belonged there.

Cyphon
12-23-2012, 04:34 PM
I will be more specific about what I didn't like this game and other things I didn't like all year.

1. Again, we rotated RB's instead of letting one stay in rythm. Dwyer had some big runs and even Mendy put 1 or 2 up in there. This is absolute fucking nonsense. We had 4 games this year with a feature runner and in 3 of the 4 we had 100 yard rushing games. Do I need to tell anyone whether we won or lost those 3 games? Before I go on I should say how I define feature runner which is, an RB with a minimum of say.....17-20 carries. Give or take. So my numbers may be slightly off in the give or take portion but it is close enough to strongly consider when making coaching decisions. (this also counts as a thing I didn't like during the season).

2. Sticking with the RB thing for a minute....Redman had 2 runs today where he converted short yardage. A third down run and a 4th down run. Now I have said it before and I will say it again, he has a near perfect percentage in converting those short yardage plays. During this game there was a time when it was 3rd and 2 (after Redman had converted earlier in the game) and we run Rashard Mendenhall as opposed to Isaac Redman. Terrible, terrible, terrible, terrible call. Even puting Redman aside, Mendenhall is our softest running back. When you are trying to put the ball up the middle you choose the HARDEST running back. Tomlin did the exact opposite.

3. You have all probably heard my opinion enough on this.....But did anyone notice who the RB was for that last play of the game when we needed a miracle or something major? I'll help you out. His name is Isaac Redman. And yes I know, he ended up throwing it to the other team but that happens pretty much every time those plays are called. My point is, look at who the go to guy was. So where was he the rest of the game? Like the time we were in the redzone (keep in mind Redmans nickname is Redzone for a reason) and Redman was on the sideline while our other backs lost yards and we ended up out of the redzone.

4. The decisions on the FG's. Ealier in the season late in the game we had a chance at a 54 yard FG or a punt. Tomlin chose to let Shuisam try it when he should be well aware there is no leg for that kind of kick on the man. He misses and we lose after giving the opponent good field position. Same scenario tonight but fortunately our defense held. That doesn't make the decision any less terrible however. If we had backed them up with a punt that helps our later field position and maybe gets us the score to win the game. These 2 field goal calls might just piss me off more than the whole RB thing.

5. Our team lacks discipline and consistency which has to go on the coach. He was hard on the RB's but let everyone else who made mistakes float on by. If you are going to be hard on one guy you need to be hard on the rest. The team just seemed uninspired during a lot of games like there was no real life in us. A coach should be able to change that if they want to keep their job.

Anyway, I am tired of even talking about it. If I think of more later I will add to it.

silver & black
12-23-2012, 04:35 PM
:rofl:

Kanata-Steeler
12-23-2012, 04:50 PM
how about re-hiring him instead, as our very own "HCC" <- Head Cheerleader Coach
-afterall, admittedly, he is a Player's Coach, freindly and kind.

SteelCurtainCall
12-23-2012, 04:52 PM
I'm from Newport News, Va, where Tomlin is from. Being a lifelong Steelers fan; I had my reservations about him being named head coach. The SB win relieved some of them. But now here we are. The press conferences after the games, make me sick. He acts like a guy who is trying to show the world how intelligent he is, and he never really says anything relavent about the game . He acts like it's no big deal when we lose;"we'll go back to work next week"; I've heard that till I'm sick of it.

My other BIG observation is; when Ben came into the league, before his success, he was more disaplined, and played a much more fundamental game. I understand that he has dealt with terrible blocking much of the time, and he has made some great plays for us by extending the plays when it was needed, but I think he is listening to the hype too much now, about how he is such a play maker, ect. He has gotten completely away from any fundamental football, and our offense looks like a sandlot offense.

I too think Tomlin "Switzered" in, and I really don't forsee any change next year. I think he simply doesn't get it. We need a Belicheck type guy that says either you make the plays or I'll get someone who will. Our team is SOFT. I can tell what every play is going to be before it's ran. Haley is not the answer either. I hope he moves on. All the BA haters have egg on their faces now too. I beg the Rooney's to make some drastic changes, and bring "STEELER" football back!

GoFor7
12-23-2012, 04:54 PM

Like I've said, when they handcuff him for the first 58 minutes of most games, he won't always be able to bail the team out in the end. I'm not sure why people are having a hard time understanding that. The Steelers need to change their philosophies on offense from a possession game to a quick strike game.

silver & black
12-23-2012, 04:56 PM
I apologize for posting that smiley. I don't come here for that.

It's just so weird to see so many of you freaking out over a bad season... like your lives have just come to an end.

If you've ever wondered why so many fans of other teams call Steelers fans spoiled, just read through all the threads on here. :wink02:

Kanata-Steeler
12-23-2012, 04:59 PM
Talkin' about 'Switzerizing" the HC job back in '06, and this has been mentioned countless times.
But, WHY, oh why, did Cowher/Rooney/whoever NOT give the HC job to the "Wiz", back in 06. ???!!!
Grimm/Shwimm, we could have just dumped him later. I dunno ?
I could never understand it fully, and I guess I never will.

"...they decided they didn't want to hire an HC within the Steelers' organization..." , huh?, that never did cut it with me as an excuse, even back then.
and now, it has become a very s-t-u-p-i-d management decision !

I'm dead certain, Cowher felt this team was gonna grab a couple more rings...? Cowher, didn't want, after 15 years, in this pressure-cooker of an HC job anymore, due to family, personal matters,..., fine. I don't deny the man that, and I respect his decision for not staying on as HC.

But why Tomlin, was Tomlin the nice little "yes" man that Steelers\' Management finally wanted ?
ya I know, but we won another SB (actually, LeBeau's DEFENSE had a lot more to do with that win than ppl want to admit!)
so Tomlin is ...., is what ?.
Tomlin inherited a SB calibre team that gelled, that "LeBeau", and Cowher handbuilt from scratch. In fact NO change was made anywhere else in coaching -even Arians' got to stay on, ... ?
Again, none of this makes sense, bringing in a Mike Switzer back then aka, just a "players' coach" -nonetheless, as he has obviously been proved to be now.

Will Tomlin grow through the heat and fire to become a good coach for the Steelers?. Who really knows?
But right now, crap travels UPHIL:L:, the buck stops at the HC position. Sooooo,...

GoFor7
12-23-2012, 05:04 PM
Talkin' about 'Switzerizing" the HC job back ikn '06, and this has been mentioned countless times.
But, WHY, oh why, did Cowher/Rooney/whoever NOT give the HC job to the "Wiz", back in 06. ???!!!
"...they decided they didn't want to hire an HC within the Steelers' organization..." , huh?, that never did cut it with me as an excuse, even back then.
stupid management !

*gasp* He criticized the Rooneys! LYNCH HIM!

Kanata-Steeler
12-23-2012, 05:28 PM
*gasp* He criticized the Rooneys! LYNCH HIM!

You gotta be kidding,
My question maybe, too late, water under the bridge, .... whatever, but if I am "questioning" managements HC decision back then, so what ? It's a forum, not a Corporate Meeting, with your BOSS.
;)

VictoryFormation
12-23-2012, 05:32 PM
Mike Tomlin has a winning record as Head Coach of the Steelers. He coached the team to two Super Bowls. Realistically speaking, they are not going to fire Tomlin unless the team totally collapses next season.

casteeler
12-23-2012, 05:36 PM
Talkin' about 'Switzerizing" the HC job back in '06, and this has been mentioned countless times.

and now, it has become a very s-t-u-p-i-d management decision !

I'm dead certain, Cowher felt this team was gonna grab a couple more rings...? Cowher, didn't want, after 15 years, in this pressure-cooker of an HC job anymore, due to family, personal matters,..., fine. I don't deny the man that, and I respect his decision for not staying on as HC.

But why Tomlin, was Tomlin the nice little "yes" man that Steelers\' Management finally wanted ?
ya I know, but we won another SB (actually, LeBeau's DEFENSE had a lot more to do with that win than ppl want to admit!)
so Tomlin is ...., is what ?.
Tomlin inherited a SB calibre team that gelled, that "LeBeau", and Cowher handbuilt from scratch. In fact NO change was made anywhere else in coaching -even Arians' got to stay on, ... ?
Again, none of this makes sense, bringing in a Mike Switzer back then aka, just a "players' coach" -nonetheless, as he has obviously been proved to be now.

Will Tomlin grow through the heat and fire to become a good coach for the Steelers?. Who really knows?
But right now, crap travels UPHIL:L:, the buck stops at the HC position. Sooooo,...

I agree Tomlin bought a race car,won a race with it and now it needs new parts and the guy cannot begin to replace broken/misfiring parts.

desertsteel
12-23-2012, 06:05 PM
Lol. There will be no big changes.

GoFor7
12-23-2012, 06:07 PM
You gotta be kidding,
My question maybe, too late, water under the bridge, .... whatever, but if I am "questioning" managements HC decision back then, so what ? It's a forum, not a Corporate Meeting, with your BOSS.
;)

lol! I don't care if you criticize them or not. Just don't be surprised if people here go up your ass about it.

ZoneBlitzer
12-23-2012, 06:20 PM
Mike Tomlin has a winning record as Head Coach of the Steelers. He coached the team to two Super Bowls. Realistically speaking, they are not going to fire Tomlin unless the team totally collapses next season.

Tomlin's success as a coach has been masked by the talent of his team and Lebeau. He doesn't read the game well. The players and in particular the QBs just placate to him. If you listen to the NFL SFX show featuring Tomlin, you can hear this false appeasement to his opinion from Ben and Chuck.

cowherpower
12-23-2012, 06:33 PM
What makes matters worse concerning Tomlin is that my buddies who are fans of other teams think he is a good coach. I then have to explain how abysmal his in game decision making is. The poor use of time outs, clock management, field goal attempts, field position mind games. I honestly believe that he adds absolutely nothing to this franchise. He hasn't been able to develop the secondary and that is his bread and butter. Our drafts under him are suspect. But, all you hear from the media (and not to sound racist-but every single black commentator ever) is how great he is so of course people not in the know think he is something he is not.

For his backers, please provide even a handful of instances where his coaching was something to be praised.

ZoneBlitzer
12-23-2012, 06:35 PM
What makes matters worse concerning Tomlin is that my buddies who are fans of other teams think he is a good coach. I then have to explain how abysmal his in game decision making is. The poor use of time outs, clock management, field goal attempts, field position mind games. I honestly believe that he adds absolutely nothing to this franchise. He hasn't been able to develop the secondary and that is his bread and butter. Our drafts under him are suspect. But, all you hear from the media (and not to sound racist-but every single black commentator ever) is how great he is so of course people not in the know think he is something he is not.

For his backers, please provide even a handful of instances where his coaching was something to be praised.

Actually the one bright spot has beem the development of the secondary. They are much improved IMO.

jb500ex
12-23-2012, 06:58 PM

you yourself answered why many want him to be a good coach. facts are hes not

Neil-Still-Rules-14
12-23-2012, 07:09 PM
So you guys who want to fire Tomlin...would you have fired Chuck Noll after the 1988 season? Or Bill Cowher after the 2000 season?

jb500ex
12-23-2012, 07:13 PM
chuck noll needed to go before he did so yes 88 would have been a good time

ZoneBlitzer
12-23-2012, 07:16 PM
So you guys who want to fire Tomlin...would you have fired Chuck Noll after the 1988 season? Or Bill Cowher after the 2000 season?

I look at the man's eyes and his demeanor on the field. Then I look at his decision making and adjustments. I don't see much intelligence there. I just don't. When I listen to him it's even worse. I think he's an average coach at best. That is all. He has been given a yacht to captain and he's turning it into a dingy.

casteeler
12-23-2012, 07:27 PM

What did Noll in '88 and Cower in 2000 not have that Tomlin has had? Take a look at the roster. Pro bowl/Championship players is the answer. Tomlin was handed a Superbowl quality team and has failed miserably at rebuilding. Tomlin cannot motivate or prepare this team properly week to week and this didn't start this season, I don't have the answer on a replacment coach but this team will not become the disciplined,well rounded team we all have enjoyed until some coaching changes and additude adjustments are made

Curtain_of_Steel
12-23-2012, 07:32 PM
Come on guys...Im sure by now, Tomlin has accepted full responsibility for the loss. Next question...

Mike about your play calling today? Guys, I accept full responsibility for the loss. Next question.

Ironically Between Tomlin and Marvin Lewis, I can not seem to gifugre out who is actually thebigger dumbass in the game?

SteeleReign
12-23-2012, 07:34 PM
Come on guys...Im sure by now, Tomlin has accepted full responsibility for the loss. Next question...

Mike about your play calling today? Guys, I accept full responsibility for the loss. Next question.

Ironically Between Tomlin and Marvin Lewis, I can not seem to gifugre out who is actually thebigger dumbass in the game?

Hey, at least he appreciates the efforts of men.

SteeleReign
12-23-2012, 07:42 PM
What did Noll in '88 and Cower in 2000 not have that Tomlin has had? Take a look at the roster. Pro bowl/Championship players is the answer. Tomlin was handed a Superbowl quality team and has failed miserably at rebuilding. Tomlin cannot motivate or prepare this team properly week to week and this didn't start this season, I don't have the answer on a replacment coach but this team will not become the disciplined,well rounded team we all have enjoyed until some coaching changes and additude adjustments are made

Yep. Bingo. I've been saying it since 2009. Players coaches don't last long in professional sports. It's unlikely Tomlin will change his stripes, so I'm afraid that the Steelers are in for a long few years. I pray that I'm wrong.

tanda10506
12-23-2012, 07:53 PM
Actually the one bright spot has beem the development of the secondary. They are much improved IMO.

Agreed, a lot better. We have Carnell Lake to thank for that. Since his arrival Taylor has played better (well, most games), Allen is becoming a good Nickle CB and played well as a starter today, and K. Lewis has turned into a real starting CB.

Cowherpowher, I'm surprised to hear that about your friends. EVERY friend that I have that is a fan of a different team thinks Tomlin is an average to below average HC. It's funny because last year I argued with them against that. Towards the end of the year I was thinking they were right, and after this season it's pretty clear to me that they are.

jiminpa
12-23-2012, 07:56 PM
I will be more specific about what I didn't like this game and other things I didn't like all year.

1. Again, we rotated RB's instead of letting one stay in rythm. Dwyer had some big runs and even Mendy put 1 or 2 up in there. This is absolute fucking nonsense. We had 4 games this year with a feature runner and in 3 of the 4 we had 100 yard rushing games. Do I need to tell anyone whether we won or lost those 3 games? Before I go on I should say how I define feature runner which is, an RB with a minimum of say.....17-20 carries. Give or take. So my numbers may be slightly off in the give or take portion but it is close enough to strongly consider when making coaching decisions. (this also counts as a thing I didn't like during the season).

2. Sticking with the RB thing for a minute....Redman had 2 runs today where he converted short yardage. A third down run and a 4th down run. Now I have said it before and I will say it again, he has a near perfect percentage in converting those short yardage plays. During this game there was a time when it was 3rd and 2 (after Redman had converted earlier in the game) and we run Rashard Mendenhall as opposed to Isaac Redman. Terrible, terrible, terrible, terrible call. Even puting Redman aside, Mendenhall is our softest running back. When you are trying to put the ball up the middle you choose the HARDEST running back. Tomlin did the exact opposite.

3. You have all probably heard my opinion enough on this.....But did anyone notice who the RB was for that last play of the game when we needed a miracle or something major? I'll help you out. His name is Isaac Redman. And yes I know, he ended up throwing it to the other team but that happens pretty much every time those plays are called. My point is, look at who the go to guy was. So where was he the rest of the game? Like the time we were in the redzone (keep in mind Redmans nickname is Redzone for a reason) and Redman was on the sideline while our other backs lost yards and we ended up out of the redzone.

4. The decisions on the FG's. Ealier in the season late in the game we had a chance at a 54 yard FG or a punt. Tomlin chose to let Shuisam try it when he should be well aware there is no leg for that kind of kick on the man. He misses and we lose after giving the opponent good field position. Same scenario tonight but fortunately our defense held. That doesn't make the decision any less terrible however. If we had backed them up with a punt that helps our later field position and maybe gets us the score to win the game. These 2 field goal calls might just piss me off more than the whole RB thing.

5. Our team lacks discipline and consistency which has to go on the coach. He was hard on the RB's but let everyone else who made mistakes float on by. If you are going to be hard on one guy you need to be hard on the rest. The team just seemed uninspired during a lot of games like there was no real life in us. A coach should be able to change that if they want to keep their job.

Anyway, I am tired of even talking about it. If I think of more later I will add to it.He wasn't hard on the running backs, (plural), he was hark on the running back, (singular), the one who is the best chance of the running game doing any good. I have no problem with either Dwyer or Redman behind a FB in short yardage situations, but in situations where you need at least four yards and could use a breakaway Mendenhall is the only RB on the roster for that. Tomlin has to know that, and if he doesn't he has no business coaching, and if he does he has no business coaching.

LLoyd&Greene
12-23-2012, 08:05 PM
For his backers, please provide even a handful of instances where his coaching was something to be praised.When you make a disclaimer like that then that means that you're aware that you're doing what you claim you're not trying to do. Tomlin certainly isn't above criticism and obviously a fair share can be made of him, but questions of his intelligence and implications that he's getting some kind of AA treatment are below the belt.

I also think that what you're saying is untrue. The drafts with Tomlin as HC have been pretty good. The team is loaded with talent that underachienved this year. Especially on the offensive side of the ball. This just goes to show you that it takes more than talent to win in this league, and Tomlin's job leading the team to 2 SBs(winning 1) shouldn't be underestimated. To say that he's added nothing to the franchise is just silly, and I question your intelligence for even saying that. If you don't think the 2 years that he has coached the team to the SB serve as evidence of contributing to the franchise then maybe you simply have an agenda here.

Like I've said though, he certainly isn't above criticism and personally I think that he has had a subpar year along with everybody else not on defense. I'm not concerned about his intelligence I'm concerned about his arrogance. I'm concerned about him being too arrogant thinking that he has it all figured out and not holding himself accountable. He has made some bad decisions all year. I became concerned about his willingness to admit when he's wrong when he didn't cop to the mistake of leaving Leftwich in the 1st Ravens game even after it became clear that he was too injured to play. The sloppy play at times is also a concern. Overall this season was inexcusable. Underachieving is unacceptable. However to answer the question, no way should he be fired. Another season or 2 like this one and then we could revisit.

jaybird07141970
12-23-2012, 08:08 PM
with 4 seconds left , what good are two time outs going to do for you?
You sweat the kicker with both of them ,. who is paying you tomlin ? you suck you stupid monkey and you should be fired today .Bring Cower back he has balls to cover his decisions . Have a poor life :banging:

jaybird07141970
12-23-2012, 08:09 PM
tomlin sucks get rid of him

jiminpa
12-23-2012, 08:16 PM
You sweat the kicker with both of them ,. who is paying you tomlin ? you suck you stupid monkey and you should be fired today .Bring Cower back he has balls to cover his decisions . Have a poor life :banging:Wow! It's just football. I know this is the Steelers, and we are fanatics, but get a life. I don't think Tomlin is a very good coach, and I wouldn't be surprised if he knows it, but I don't wish him a bad life, just the end of his coaching career in Pittsburgh. He would do very well as a spokesman for the FO. He articulates nothing with the best of them, which is the most valuable skill there is in PR and marketing.

Millers the sh!t
12-23-2012, 08:20 PM
You sweat the kicker with both of them ,. who is paying you tomlin ? you suck you stupid monkey and you should be fired today .Bring Cower back he has balls to cover his decisions . Have a poor life :banging:

Can't call back to back timeouts...

dpc13
12-23-2012, 09:41 PM
Tomlin now reminds me of Singletary!!

Steelers5895
12-23-2012, 09:43 PM
obsurd.

VictoryFormation
12-23-2012, 09:58 PM
In his post-game press conference, when Tomlin was asked about the Todd Haley offense, and why it devolved as the season progressed, he stated that it "...wasn't effective enough for us to win."
He, then, went on to say that "We gotta coach, and play better than we did."
You can read into it what you want, but it sounds like Todd Haley might be the one that gets the axe, after this season. If Mike Tomlin, Ben Roethlisberger, and some of the other players don't want Haley, he's gone.

casteeler
12-23-2012, 10:08 PM
In his post-game press conference, when Tomlin was asked about the Todd Haley offense, and why it devolved as the season progressed, he stated that it "...wasn't effective enough for us to win."
He, then, went on to say that "We gotta coach, and play better than we did."
You can read into it what you want, but it sounds like Todd Haley might be the one that gets the axe, after this season. If Mike Tomlin, Ben Roethlisberger, and some of the other players don't want Haley, he's gone.

Tomlin deserves the Axe. It's not only the offense that has sucked, its been everything and coaching is a major part of the blame.

SteelCurtainCall
12-23-2012, 10:09 PM
I believe with all my heart that Mike is a good guy, and would probably be a good contributor to the steeler coaching staff; just not as HC. He claims he understands the steeler fans, but I don't really think he really knows just how important the steelers are to their fans. I'm not even living in the city, or the state of Pa, but I ache after every loss, and rejoice after every win.

When he sits there at the press confs., and gives some lame speech about "the men", ect, ect; I just want to scream. He needs to get on camera and rake players, and/or coaches over the coals. This "we'll get 'em next year" crap aint cuttin' it. We are a franchise that deems anything less than a serious run at the SB as a failure of a season.

How can Belicheck take new players year in and year out and mold them into a real good team? because failure is unacceptable. I have nothing against Tomlin as a person, but there have been some very good assistant coaches who couldn't suceed as HC, and I think Mike might be one. For the guys who talk about him guiding us to 2 SB's; he had a SB team already assembled around him, and it's gone down hill ever since.Why? We're too soft!

The NFL channel has been running episodes of the steeler teams of the 70's all day yesterday, and those guys would tear your head off to get to the top. There was a fire burning deep inside then. I think the flame is but a flicker now, and this makes at least 2 years of it in a row. The HC isn't making it happen on the field or in the locker room. I love my steelers but right now I'm ashamed.

I love Troy for all he's done for us; what a gifted player he has been, but his body is done; he can't play the game anymore, and he's not the only one. We are injured all the time, and our staff obviously isn't good enough to prepare, or replace our reserves. I'm done now, and unfortunately; so are the steelers this year.:banging:

Blackout
12-23-2012, 10:09 PM
Fire Haley, get Norv or Wiz

lardlad
12-23-2012, 10:48 PM
Tomlin has made bad calls and I question his toughness (other than Mendy). But his offense put the ball in the opponents hands way too many times. If we aren't -14 or something in turnovers, we have at least three more wins.

Complain about Tomlin all you want, but he has done nothing to deserve to be fired.

lardlad
12-23-2012, 10:50 PM

I don't mind Haley, the O sure looked good early this year but yeah if you can get these guys it would be great.

Cyphon
12-23-2012, 11:07 PM
He wasn't hard on the running backs, (plural), he was hark on the running back, (singular), the one who is the best chance of the running game doing any good. I have no problem with either Dwyer or Redman behind a FB in short yardage situations, but in situations where you need at least four yards and could use a breakaway Mendenhall is the only RB on the roster for that. Tomlin has to know that, and if he doesn't he has no business coaching, and if he does he has no business coaching.

No, he was definitely hard on all of the backs. Earlier in the season Dwyer had a fumble and Tomlin called him out in front of the team in the film room and Dwyer ended up inactive for a week or 2. Then you get to the Browns game where every back got 1 mistake before they were benched.

I think how he handled Mendenhall was fine for a multitude of reasons. In fact, that was one of the few things he actually got right this year. And frankly, you are wrong about Mendenhall.

He is physically more gifted than any of the other backs, but it amounts to very little the way he has been running. Today was the first time in a long time I can remember him running hard. He has very little toughness (which our team is built on) and pretty poor ball handeling at times when it counts. He isn't a great blocker and has a bad attitude as seen in not showing up for the team in San Diego.

As for not being able to bounce outside or get the big runs....

Last year Mendenhall had 3 carries of 20 or more on 228 carries.

This year Dwyer had 3 carries of 20 or more on 121 carries and his career long is 76 yards. So he can break the big ones. And in case you didn't watch todays game, he had the speed to take outside for 10 or more yards.

Last year Redman had 3 carries of 20 or more on 110 carries and this year he had 3 of 20 or more on 101 carries. And in case you missed last week, he bounced one outside for 22 yards.

So all things considered, there really isn't even an argument to be made for Mendenhall at this point.

Rotorhead
12-23-2012, 11:11 PM
Oh, i get it, it was Tomlin that threw the pick at the end of this game, and the pick at the end of last game, and thst threw the pick at the end of the Denver game, AND he fumbled 5 times against the Browns and sacked Ben for a freak injury . . . He also didnt step up as a team leader when Ward and Farior left. This season is the entire teams fault, all of them, especially the people who should be stepping as real leaders to fill the voids. You are all pathetic with some of the things your saying.

Steel95
12-24-2012, 12:28 AM
Big Ben is the main reason this team lost the past two games; he doesn't like Todd Haley, his play on the field pretty much indicates that as well. Another thing is this, Big Ben extends the play too much; he extends the play when the play doesn't even have to be. He doesn't play the position like the average QB, this season has came back to bite him in the A$$.

However, I have to agree, Tomlin has made some idiotic coaching decisions this season. Sometimes I wonder W.T.F. is he thinking? General Coaching Philosophy 101, he needs to take his A$$ back to school and take the course again, and again, and again! His players are too undisciplined; Rashard Mendenhall has no respect for him. If they resign him, dumb move by the Front Office, period. I'm sure Mr. Rooney has plenty of notes to talk to Tomlin after the season. And I'm so sick and tired of this idiot saying "I went with the play, I had a gutt feeling." W.T.F? Are you kidding me? Gut Feeling? No! Use some simple logic when making those decisions.

No, Tomlin will not be fired, because of his resume he has earned himself a couple more seasons. However, he better be aware of these things going into 2013; and another thing, I'm sick of seeing his happy go face attitude on the sideline, then when the team loses he goes N2 the press conferences as though he is upset. Are you kidding me?

I will say this though, injuries has plagued this team all year long. Strength & Conditioning Coaches? Where the Hell Are You? Pack your bags and hit the road. I'm not going to even lie, I was hoping this team missed the playoffs, they need some quality picks in the draft. This team isn't as good as they continue to think they are. Hopefully they will blow it again next week so they can pick near the top 10.

And the GM? Can you please select some quality players rounds 3-5 that can possibly make the team and provide some support? Ok, I'm done venting.

Hawaii 5-0
12-24-2012, 12:31 AM

Ben doesn't like Whiz either...

GoFor7
12-24-2012, 12:35 AM
Ben doesn't like Whiz either...

And Whiz probably wouldn't want to work under Tomlin.

Hawaii 5-0
12-24-2012, 12:38 AM
And Whiz probably wouldn't want to work under Tomlin.

good point...

therocksteeler
12-24-2012, 03:32 AM
Another example of Tomlin's coaching genius.
In a big spot he usually makes the wrong decision.
His persona inflates his prowess as a coach.

I believe you are right. Tomlin means well by his decision making but he has failed in not developing leadership and/or the level of leadership on the team in the preseason.

TheVet
12-24-2012, 03:48 AM
I'm from Newport News, Va, where Tomlin is from. Being a lifelong Steelers fan; I had my reservations about him being named head coach. The SB win relieved some of them. But now here we are. The press conferences after the games, make me sick. He acts like a guy who is trying to show the world how intelligent he is, and he never really says anything relavent about the game . He acts like it's no big deal when we lose;"we'll go back to work next week"; I've heard that till I'm sick of it.

The funny part is that he likes to use what he thinks are big words, but he uses them incorrectly. Let's acknowledge that.

I
My other BIG observation is; when Ben came into the league, before his success, he was more disaplined, and played a much more fundamental game. I understand that he has dealt with terrible blocking much of the time, and he has made some great plays for us by extending the plays when it was needed, but I think he is listening to the hype too much now, about how he is such a play maker, ect. He has gotten completely away from any fundamental football, and our offense looks like a sandlot offense.

I too think Tomlin "Switzered" in, and I really don't forsee any change next year. I think he simply doesn't get it. We need a Belicheck type guy that says either you make the plays or I'll get someone who will. Our team is SOFT. I can tell what every play is going to be before it's ran. Haley is not the answer either. I hope he moves on. All the BA haters have egg on their faces now too. I beg the Rooney's to make some drastic changes, and bring "STEELER" football back!

So Haley earned a C- for the season, but that doesn't change the fact that Arians flunked out repeatedly.

Anyway, I think Tomlin is maybe a C coach who's surrounded by a great infrastructure. The Steelers could do better, but it's not going to happen. Tomlin will be here for awhile, and that's the way it is. Because the standard is the standard, lets acknowledge that.

SteelCurtainCall
12-24-2012, 07:54 AM
I'm certainly not advocating bringing BA back; just saying that even under him, we did much better than this debacle this season. I don't have the answers; I'm just posting my observations. We are an elite organization, and I just want to see us perform that way. Matbe follow the Raiders motto "commitment to excellence". We used to own the AFC North, and it's time to reclaim our throne, no matter how good the Raven's play each year. It's funnt DL got embarrassed early in the season, and he sat down, and orchastrated a plan that brought our D back up to standard. Now I know we still had some bad D games, but he made changes that brought results. This O seems to be stuck in the same rut year after year.

TRH
12-24-2012, 07:57 AM
i'd also like to hear something "new" from Tomlin.

Those post-game interviews and press conferences and seemingly all exactly the same - so much so that fans (on boards like these) are starting to quote them word-for-word and make jokes.
The "standard", "we accept responsibility", etc, etc.

And i agree - he never says much relevant to the game. Can we get something different, please?

Terrapin
12-24-2012, 08:24 AM
As fans, we are a spoiled bunch. Superbowl or bust every year, which is completely unrealistic.

However, Tomlin's teams have an alarming trend of playing down to their competition. I wouldn't care if this was an 8-8 team, with 7 of those losses being to legitimate teams. But consistently losing to scrubs like Tennessee, Oakland, SD, etc is absolutely unacceptable. Every elite team tends to get upset badly every year (NE lost to Arizona this year). But, it usually only happens once, not 3 or 4 times a season.

But the fact is, the blame doesn't lie with Tomlin. He is not a very good coach. Why would anyone think he would be? What was his pedigree coming in? 1 year as DC of a mediocre Minnesota defense? No, he got hired because he's black, and Rooney had to abide by his own stupid rule. The person that needs to be blamed for Tomlin, the underachieving seasons, the off the field issues, the horrendous upsets, etc are the Rooneys.

LLoyd&Greene
12-24-2012, 08:58 AM
As fans, we are a spoiled bunch. Superbowl or bust every year, which is completely unrealistic.

However, Tomlin's teams have an alarming trend of playing down to their competition. I wouldn't care if this was an 8-8 team, with 7 of those losses being to legitimate teams. But consistently losing to scrubs like Tennessee, Oakland, SD, etc is absolutely unacceptable. Every elite team tends to get upset badly every year (NE lost to Arizona this year). But, it usually only happens once, not 3 or 4 times a season.

But the fact is, the blame doesn't lie with Tomlin. He is not a very good coach. Why would anyone think he would be? What was his pedigree coming in? 1 year as DC of a mediocre Minnesota defense? No, he got hired because he's black, and Rooney had to abide by his own stupid rule. The person that needs to be blamed for Tomlin, the underachieving seasons, the off the field issues, the horrendous upsets, etc are the Rooneys.I really take issue with you and the rest who feel the need to make it a racial thing with Tomlin. "Stupid rule"? What, are you a racist? I suspect that people such a yourself have never really been behind Tomlin and are trying to use this season as an excuse to discredit him. The ideathat he's not a good coach or that he's incompetent is downright silly. The team is 62-33 under is watch with 2 SB appearances. You don't have that kind of resume if your team is always underachieving or playing down to its competition. Obviously this wasn't Tomlin's best season and he has made some bad in-game decisions, but there's no need to jump out of the window. Tomlin wasn't calling or designing the plays on offense, Tomlin didn't routinely drop passes, he didn't routinely fumble the ball, he didn't injure Ben, he didn't throw costly picks the last 2 games. The reality is that this team was ravaged by injuries and the offensive side of the team underachieved. There's enough blame to spread around to both coaches and players. Everyone has to look at each other and themselves to find the solutions.

Again, as a black diehard Steelers fan I take offense to you people who want to make it a racial issue concerning Tomlin. The irony here is that these kind of racist attitudes towards blacks coaches is why the Rooney rule was created in the 1st place.

Steel95
12-24-2012, 09:14 AM

I'm critical of Mike Tomlin and the decision he has made this year as well. And I'm on record as saying his clock management skills were awful this year, he should and probably will be reprimanded for his actions. He will not be fired for having a bad season. However, you sir/mam are just completely ignorant! Comments like this, calling this man a Monkey is just uncalled for. Ignorant individuals like yourself is the main reason our country is in the current mess that it is in. :mad:

Yes, Tomlin did a poor job as a H.C. this year, his teams were not mentally prepared at all. Stop it with the racial remarks, no need for it. Where is the moderator?

Terrapin
12-24-2012, 09:15 AM
I really take issue with you and the rest who feel the need to make it a racial thing with Tomlin. "Stupid rule"? What, are you a racist? I suspect that people such a yourself have never really been behind Tomlin and are trying to use this season as an excuse to discredit him. The ideathat he's not a good coach or that he's incompetent is downright silly. The team is 62-33 under is watch with 2 SB appearances. You don't have that kind of resume if your team is always underachieving or playing down to its competition. Obviously this wasn't Tomlin's best season and he has made some bad in-game decisions, but there's no need to jump out of the window. Tomlin wasn't calling or designing the plays on offense, Tomlin didn't routinely drop passes, he didn't routinely fumble the ball, he didn't injure Ben, he didn't throw costly picks the last 2 games. The reality is that this team was ravaged by injuries and the offensive side of the team underachieved. There's enough blame to spread around to both coaches and players. Everyone has to look at each other and themselves to find the solutions.

Again, as a black diehard Steelers fan I take offense to you people who want to make it a racial issue concerning Tomlin. The irony here is that these kind of racist attitudes towards blacks coaches is why the Rooney rule was created in the 1st place.

I take issue with the fact that you think blacks can't achieve things on their merit, thus needing affirmative action bullshit in order to compete. Who's the racist?

So again I'll ask, what credentials did Tomlin have that warranted a head coaching opportunity with possibly the best franchise in professional sports? Was he a succesful college coach? Was he a successful pro coach? Was he a seasoned coordinator, who's defense dominated? I really want to hear your explanation of this.

Since you are incapable of admitting it, I'll explain it to you. He was a defensive backs coach, then a DC for 1 year. He has had success as a head coach, largely due to walking into a team stocked with talent, including a franchise QB and the best D in the league. He has continually made coaching blunders that most pee wee coaches wouldn't make (not going for 2, trying FGs your kicker is incapable of making, misuse of TOs, leaving injured players in the game, etc, etc). His teams are very undisciplined, both on and off the field. And he has shown a tendency to play favorites, which will evenutally destroy a locker room.

Again, I'm not saying he's a terrible coach. But the team has way too much talent to be losing games to the likes of Tim Tebow, Brandon Weeden, Jake Locker, etc. All facets of this team are wildly inconsistent. That is a reflection of the coach.

teegre
12-24-2012, 09:15 AM
But the fact is, the blame doesn't lie with Tomlin. He is not a very good coach. Why would anyone think he would be? What was his pedigree coming in? 1 year as DC of a mediocre Minnesota defense? No, he got hired because he's black, and Rooney had to abide by his own stupid rule. The person that needs to be blamed for Tomlin, the underachieving seasons, the off the field issues, the horrendous upsets, etc are the Rooneys.

1. Tomlin had the #1 defense win Minnesota. He was the coach of the secondary that won the SuperBowl for Tampa Bay. He was one of the top candidates out there.

2. There are other minorities other than "black."

2-a. Ron Rivera also interviewed... and... he was (& still is) a minority.

2-b. If what you're saying is true, then they hired Tomlin because he was an unqualified minority... over another minority.

3. What's wrong with being "black"? Please, explain. Because, you are sounding reeeeally bad right now.

casteeler
12-24-2012, 09:18 AM
I really take issue with you and the rest who feel the need to make it a racial thing with Tomlin. "Stupid rule"? What, are you a racist? I suspect that people such a yourself have never really been behind Tomlin and are trying to use this season as an excuse to discredit him. The ideathat he's not a good coach or that he's incompetent is downright silly. The team is 62-33 under is watch with 2 SB appearances. You don't have that kind of resume if your team is always underachieving or playing down to its competition. Obviously this wasn't Tomlin's best season and he has made some bad in-game decisions, but there's no need to jump out of the window. Tomlin wasn't calling or designing the plays on offense, Tomlin didn't routinely drop passes, he didn't routinely fumble the ball, he didn't injure Ben, he didn't throw costly picks the last 2 games. The reality is that this team was ravaged by injuries and the offensive side of the team underachieved. There's enough blame to spread around to both coaches and players. Everyone has to look at each other and themselves to find the solutions.

The color of the coaches skin DOES NOT matter. He was handed a SB quality team and he has coached it into a JOKE. The team doesn't respect the guy. He cannot prepare the team no matter who the opponent is. Tomlin watched the Bengals miss a FG a few plays earlier and sent Suisham (who is an exellent kicker) to kick from the same distance. When a coach makes obviously stupid calls,people get upset. Tomlin can pack his bags and coach elsewhere as far as I'm concerned due to his coaching not ethnicity

MaidenIndiana
12-24-2012, 09:25 AM
Has Tomlin made bad decisions? Of course he has. I'd like for all of you "fire Tomlin" posters to name me one HC who hasn't made bad decisions? Hell the great Belidick went for it on 4th down against the Colts a couple os seasons ago from his own 20 yard line. They didn't make it and lost. For those of you wanting the great Whiz back, well you're in luck because his ass is gonna be fired. And I'm pretty sure that these same posters loved Tomlin after we he beat Whiz in the SB, probably even made statements about how the Rooney's made the right choice for HC. Man up, we had a bad year. IT HAPPENS!!! You're supposed to be Steelers fans but you come off as more fair-weathered fans than anything else

Terrapin
12-24-2012, 09:30 AM
1. Tomlin had the #1 defense win Minnesota. He was the coach of the secondary that won the SuperBowl for Tampa Bay. He was one of the top candidates out there.

2. There are other minorities other than "black."

2-a. Ron Rivera also interviewed... and... he was (& still is) a minority.

2-b. If what you're saying is true, then they hired Tomlin because he was an unqualified minority... over another minority.

3. What's wrong with being "black"? Please, explain. Because, you are sounding reeeeally bad right now.

1. Actually, the Vikings were ranked 6th that year. 1st against the rush, and dead last against the pass.

2. You'd have to ask Rooney why he chose Tomlin over Rivera, or anyone else for that matter.

3. I didn't say anything is wrong with being black did I? I said THIS SPECIFIC coach was unqualified to be the head coach of THIS team. Just because you accept mediocrity in the name of political correctness doesn't mean everyone does.

LLoyd&Greene
12-24-2012, 09:52 AM
I take issue with the fact that you think blacks can't achieve things on their merit, thus needing affirmative action bullshit in order to compete. Who's the racist?

So again I'll ask, what credentials did Tomlin have that warranted a head coaching opportunity with possibly the best franchise in professional sports? Was he a succesful college coach? Was he a successful pro coach? Was he a seasoned coordinator, who's defense dominated? I really want to hear your explanation of this.

Since you are incapable of admitting it, I'll explain it to you. He was a defensive backs coach, then a DC for 1 year. He has had success as a head coach, largely due to walking into a team stocked with talent, including a franchise QB and the best D in the league. He has continually made coaching blunders that most pee wee coaches wouldn't make (not going for 2, trying FGs your kicker is incapable of making, misuse of TOs, leaving injured players in the game, etc, etc). His teams are very undisciplined, both on and off the field. And he has shown a tendency to play favorites, which will evenutally destroy a locker room.

Again, I'm not saying he's a terrible coach. But the team has way too much talent to be losing games to the likes of Tim Tebow, Brandon Weeden, Jake Locker, etc. All facets of this team are wildly inconsistent. That is a reflection of the coach.Obviously you don't read and comprehend too well. I never said that black people can't achieve on their own merit. I said that racist attitudes such as yours are why the Rooney rule was instituted in the 1st place. The Rooney rule was created to assure that blacks are at least given an opportunity to interview for HC jobs because they were constantly denied those opportunities previously.

I'm not going to justify Tomlin's hire to you. His qualifications/resume is public record. If you disagree that Tomlin was qualified to be hired as coach then put that in a letter and mail it to Rooney to see if he cares. The bottom line is that Tomlin was hired 6 years ago and has since led the team to a 62-33 record with 2SB appearances and 1 title. The hire has been more than justified even if ignoramouses don't agree. Again, I suspect that people like have always had an agenda against Tomlin and you always will.

As far as your criticisms of Tomlin, I agree with some of them. The problem is that you don't give credit where it's due. Your criticisms of Tomlin don't hold weight if you can't give him the credit that's due. You dismiss any success the team has had under his watch because he supposedly inherited a talented team even though the same team went 8-8 and missed the playoffs the year before he got there. This current team illustrates that it takes more than talent to win in the NFL. You can't whine about and blame Tomlin for this year's team losing to less talented terrible teams when you gave him no credit for how he stepped in and kept the ship steady after Cowher stepped down. The truth is that Tomlin has shown that he's a good coach but this year has been a big disappointment. He has made some bad decisions throughout the season and he's going to have to do a better job. All of that racial BS you and others are trying to throw in the mix is for the birds. Gladly people like you don't rep the average Steelers fan.

LLoyd&Greene
12-24-2012, 10:01 AM
The color of the coaches skin DOES NOT matter. He was handed a SB quality team and he has coached it into a JOKE. The team doesn't respect the guy. He cannot prepare the team no matter who the opponent is. Tomlin watched the Bengals miss a FG a few plays earlier and sent Suisham (who is an exellent kicker) to kick from the same distance. When a coach makes obviously stupid calls,people get upset. Tomlin can pack his bags and coach elsewhere as far as I'm concerned due to his coaching not ethnicityObviously Tomlin's skin color matters to some of you. I only registered here because I became disturbed upon reading little slick/sly comments that had racial undertones. Look, there's no denying that Tomlin inherited a good team loaded with talent. The truth is that the team went 8-8 and missed the playoffs the year before he got there though.The truth is that the team is 62-33 with 2 SB appearances and 1 ring since Tomlin has been HC. So ibviously he has done something right. You sound silly. I understand that we are having a real disappointing season, but team is not a joke. I actually wonder how bright some of you actually are because some of seem to be downright stupid.

Terrapin
12-24-2012, 11:06 AM
Obviously you don't read and comprehend too well. I never said that black people can't achieve on their own merit. I said that racist attitudes such as yours are why the Rooney rule was instituted in the 1st place. The Rooney rule was created to assure that blacks are at least given an opportunity to interview for HC jobs because they were constantly denied those opportunities previously.

I'm not going to justify Tomlin's hire to you. His qualifications/resume is public record. If you disagree that Tomlin was qualified to be hired as coach then put that in a letter and mail it to Rooney to see if he cares. The bottom line is that Tomlin was hired 6 years ago and has since led the team to a 62-33 record with 2SB appearances and 1 title. The hire has been more than justified even if ignoramouses don't agree. Again, I suspect that people like have always had an agenda against Tomlin and you always will.

As far as your criticisms of Tomlin, I agree with some of them. The problem is that you don't give credit where it's due. Your criticisms of Tomlin don't hold weight if you can't give him the credit that's due. You dismiss any success the team has had under his watch because he supposedly inherited a talented team even though the same team went 8-8 and missed the playoffs the year before he got there. This current team illustrates that it takes more than talent to win in the NFL. You can't whine about and blame Tomlin for this year's team losing to less talented terrible teams when you gave him no credit for how he stepped in and kept the ship steady after Cowher stepped down. The truth is that Tomlin has shown that he's a good coach but this year has been a big disappointment. He has made some bad decisions throughout the season and he's going to have to do a better job. All of that racial BS you and others are trying to throw in the mix is for the birds. Gladly people like you don't rep the average Steelers fan.

You're absolutely right. I've always had an agenda against Tomlin, from the moment he was hired and I thought to myself "who in the fock is this guy?" Then when I looked at his resume and thought "this is the best they can do?" It was then I saw a picture of him, and it all made sense. Again, I'm not one of these politically correct idiots that's afraid of being labeled a racist because they point out facts. Maybe the Rooney's really liked something about Tomlin's pedigree. I just don't know what that is, and 1 year as a coordinator doesn't just scream out 'hire this guy!'

I, like 99.9% of Steeler fans I assume, could give a flying fock what 'color' somebody is. As long as the team is winning, and the team represents itself with class (not AB moonwalking into the endzone. Not Mendenlhall babbling about Bin Laden being a swell dude, and not Ben whining about personnel decisions and play calling).

And I never said I was calling for his head. I said he's not a good coach. He has done some great things here. Then again, Barry Switzer did some great things in Dallas. What I want is to see Tomlin actually get tough with ALL his players (not just certain guys), correct constant mistakes this team makes (turnovers, penalties, game awarness, etc), and brush up on his game planning and game managing. Not make the same mistakes over and over and over again, and sit there and say 'the standard is the standard', 'i'm keeping our 2pt plays in our back pocket', etc. Either get your shit together or be gone. And I said the same thing about Wallace and Ben.

casteeler
12-24-2012, 11:22 AM
Obviously Tomlin's skin color matters to some of you. I only registered here because I became disturbed upon reading little slick/sly comments that had racial undertones. Look, there's no denying that Tomlin inherited a good team loaded with talent. The truth is that the team went 8-8 and missed the playoffs the year before he got there though.The truth is that the team is 62-33 with 2 SB appearances and 1 ring since Tomlin has been HC. So ibviously he has done something right. You sound silly. I understand that we are having a real disappointing season, but team is not a joke. I actually wonder how bright some of you actually are because some of seem to be downright stupid.

You seem to be downright stupid. Don't come on a message board that some of us have been on for years and call people Rasict, I (along with many others) think Tomlin is not a good coach because of reasons I've already stated. The Steelers have lacked in areas that coaching usually provides. We have every right to be upset and this is a forum for expressing your feelings. Take your 1950s additude elsewhere

kent
12-24-2012, 11:47 AM
Thread title says it all. He is competely failing us as a coach. We have maybe more talent than I can ever remember watching and we fail to make the playoffs. Tomlin has made shitty decision after shitty decision.

Maybe if he went Cowher would come back.

Im new to this site and have been following it for the majority of the season and always been interested in everyone's opinions. Lately though Ive lost some respect for some of Steeler nation. Im obviously disappointed in the performance of the team and coaching staff. Lets not forget about the training staff either haha. But the way some people show no support and jump to conclusions is ridiculous. It is just one bad season and a true fan sticks with his team no matter what.

Firing Tomlin would be horrible and not the Steeler way. He is going to make some changes to make sure next year is successful. Lets not forget this guy has taken us to 2 super bowls and the playoffs in 4 of his 6 years. This will be his first non-winning season. Him and the team will come back stronger than ever.

As for Cowher, I loved him as a coach. He took the team to the playoffs in his first six years and a Super bowl. Then they missed the playoffs 3 years in a row. Yet the rooneys stayed loyal and it took him another 5 years to finally win a super bowl.

Cut Tomlin and the team a break, every franchise in every sport is going to have a down year. Go Steelers. :tt04:

cowherpower
12-24-2012, 11:51 AM
Agreed, a lot better. We have Carnell Lake to thank for that. Since his arrival Taylor has played better (well, most games), Allen is becoming a good Nickle CB and played well as a starter today, and K. Lewis has turned into a real starting CB.

Cowherpowher, I'm surprised to hear that about your friends. EVERY friend that I have that is a fan of a different team thinks Tomlin is an average to below average HC. It's funny because last year I argued with them against that. Towards the end of the year I was thinking they were right, and after this season it's pretty clear to me that they are.

haha, well my buddies happen to be Dolphin and Eagles fans so...take that for what it's worth. I am not sure what people are referring to when talking about our secondary being good. Every one of our serviceable defensive backs predates Tomlin. We get torched any time we play a team that can pass the ball. In those games we get no pass rush because we are trying to mask our secondary deficiencies and then people on here complain about our lack of pass rush. It might look on paper like we have a good pass D but that is misleading. The cupboard is bare as far as talent goes. With Troy, Ike and Clark all approaching that age where we let them go instead of offering them a final contract (maybe should have happened already) we have nobody to step into their roles. Which is sad because none of them are world beaters themselves any longer.

This offseason it is imperative to draft a cornerstone corner back. I mean a la Woodson or Chad Scott (I truly believe absent his knee injuries he could have been real good). The problem I see is that it shouldn't take a first rounder if you have anyone at the helm who can identify and develop DBs. In my opinion Tomlin should be able to find hidden gems and get them to first round production. His failure to do so in all these years is telling.

LLoyd&Greene
12-24-2012, 12:43 PM
You're absolutely right. I've always had an agenda against Tomlin, from the moment he was hired and I thought to myself "who in the fock is this guy?" Then when I looked at his resume and thought "this is the best they can do?" It was then I saw a picture of him, and it all made sense. Again, I'm not one of these politically correct idiots that's afraid of being labeled a racist because they point out facts. Maybe the Rooney's really liked something about Tomlin's pedigree. I just don't know what that is, and 1 year as a coordinator doesn't just scream out 'hire this guy!'

I, like 99.9% of Steeler fans I assume, could give a flying fock what 'color' somebody is. As long as the team is winning, and the team represents itself with class (not AB moonwalking into the endzone. Not Mendenlhall babbling about Bin Laden being a swell dude, and not Ben whining about personnel decisions and play calling).

And I never said I was calling for his head. I said he's not a good coach. He has done some great things here. Then again, Barry Switzer did some great things in Dallas. What I want is to see Tomlin actually get tough with ALL his players (not just certain guys), correct constant mistakes this team makes (turnovers, penalties, game awarness, etc), and brush up on his game planning and game managing. Not make the same mistakes over and over and over again, and sit there and say 'the standard is the standard', 'i'm keeping our 2pt plays in our back pocket', etc. Either get your shit together or be gone. And I said the same thing about Wallace and Ben.

Well your agenda against Tomlin is palpable. Obviously you're not being objective here. Just don't break your arm patting yourself on the back for being unapolegetically racist as an anonymous person on the internet. That takes so much courage, you're so brave.

A few questions though. Did you know who Bill Cowher was before he was hired? Did you approve of his resume, because it wasn't all that much better or extensive than Tomlin's was? Both Cowher and Tomlin were hired when they were about 35 years old with minimal coaching experience including no HC experience, yet some of you want to act like the Tomlin hire is something that the franchise has never done. You're trying to paint Tomlin as some type of AA HC who's proven himself unworthy of the job. That insults me as a Steelers fan who happens to be black. Tomlin has not been a perfect coach by any stretch and this season is a big disappointment. However, Tomlin's overall record and resume as the Steelers HC speaks for itself and fans who are still questioning whether he can do the job sound silly. If he couldn't do the job then he wouldn't have 2 SB appearances under his belt. I know I know, any success the team has had has been achieved despite Tomlin while he's responsible for everything that's gone wrong. That's how it goes with people like you, right?

This isn't true. Like you've already admitted, you(and others like you) have always had an agenda against Tomlin. You just couldn't express that anti-Tomlin agenda when we were winning without exposing yourself even more than you're doing now. I honestly wish that 99.9% of Steelers fans didn't care that Tomlin is black but apparently that's not true. You also need to get off of your high-horse and stop being disingenuous. This team is no more unclassy than some of the teams under Cowher. I certainly remember Hines Ward mimmicking the end zone celebrations of players from opposing teams. Was that classy? How about my main man J Peazy and his infamous list of antics? Are you a new Steelers fan?

Switzer was in Dallas for just 3 seasons and resigned after going 6-10 in his 3rd season. Tomlin has already coached the Steelers for twice as long, has been to twice as many SBs, and has never gone 6-10. Can we stop trying to make that comparison? Again, I agree with a lot of the criticisms made about the job that Tomlin has done this season. I think that we all want to see the problems plaguing the team be corrected. My issue is with the personal attacks towards Tomlin. My issue is with fans who have an agenda against him based on other ish and are using this season as an excuse to justify their non-football related agenda.You seem to be downright stupid. Don't come on a message board that some of us have been on for years and call people Rasict, I (along with many others) think Tomlin is not a good coach because of reasons I've already stated. The Steelers have lacked in areas that coaching usually provides. We have every right to be upset and this is a forum for expressing your feelings. Take your 1950s additude elsewhereIf the truth hurts........... The reasons that you and others have listed to support saying that Tomlin's not a good coach don't hold water. His resume as the Steelers HC speaks for itself. This isn't the only season that he's been the HC and a lot of the problems that haunted the team this season weren't there in his previous year's leading the team. It's ok to be disappointed, but it's not cool to be ignorant. You're ignorant, meaning you dont know what you're talking about. Tomlin has coached the team to being a joke? 2 SB appreances in 6 years is a joke?

LLoyd&Greene
12-24-2012, 12:51 PM
haha, well my buddies happen to be Dolphin and Eagles fans so...take that for what it's worth. I am not sure what people are referring to when talking about our secondary being good. Every one of our serviceable defensive backs predates Tomlin. We get torched any time we play a team that can pass the ball. In those games we get no pass rush because we are trying to mask our secondary deficiencies and then people on here complain about our lack of pass rush. It might look on paper like we have a good pass D but that is misleading. The cupboard is bare as far as talent goes. With Troy, Ike and Clark all approaching that age where we let them go instead of offering them a final contract (maybe should have happened already) we have nobody to step into their roles. Which is sad because none of them are world beaters themselves any longer.

This offseason it is imperative to draft a cornerstone corner back. I mean a la Woodson or Chad Scott (I truly believe absent his knee injuries he could have been real good). The problem I see is that it shouldn't take a first rounder if you have anyone at the helm who can identify and develop DBs. In my opinion Tomlin should be able to find hidden gems and get them to first round production. His failure to do so in all these years is telling.Wow, I couldn't disagree more my friend. The secondary seems to be in really good shape going forward from what I can see. Especially at cb. We have Lewis and Allen who have already proven to be solid starting cbs in this league and they should only get better. Then you have Curtis Brown who has shown signs lately that he will be solid as well. thats 3 promising cbs with Lewis being the eldest at 26. I don't think that cb is a position of need come draft time.

harrison'samonster
12-24-2012, 12:55 PM
Wow, I couldn't disagree more my friend. The secondary seems to be in really good shape going forward from what I can see. Especially at cb. We have Lewis and Allen who have already proven to be solid starting cbs in this league and they should only get better. Then you have Curtis Brown who has shown signs lately that he will be solid as well. thats 3 promising cbs with Lewis being the eldest at 26. I don't think that cb is a position of need come draft time.

our secondary looks pretty good at this point. It is the least of our worries.

LLoyd&Greene
12-24-2012, 01:01 PM
our secondary looks pretty good at this point. It is the least of our worries.Yes, I'm already looking forward to seeing how good this defense can be next year with a healthy Troy P. Injuries ravaged us on both sides of the ball, the difference is that guys on the defensive side stepped up while the guys on offense couldn't pick up the slack.

cowherpower
12-24-2012, 01:24 PM
Wow, I couldn't disagree more my friend. The secondary seems to be in really good shape going forward from what I can see. Especially at cb. We have Lewis and Allen who have already proven to be solid starting cbs in this league and they should only get better. Then you have Curtis Brown who has shown signs lately that he will be solid as well. thats 3 promising cbs with Lewis being the eldest at 26. I don't think that cb is a position of need come draft time.

that's cool. Looking at our schedule we really didn't face top QB or passing teams this season. The two times (Manning and Romo) were both losses and the opposing QB had great games. I hope you are right. I do see improvement over William Gay but that is not saying much.

harrison'samonster
12-24-2012, 01:58 PM
that's cool. Looking at our schedule we really didn't face top QB or passing teams this season. The two times (Manning and Romo) were both losses and the opposing QB had great games. I hope you are right. I do see improvement over William Gay but that is not saying much.

Who were the cb's against Dallas? Does anybody even remember their names?

For having a team that was lacking pressure against the QB, this secondary did a great job this year. I know we all want to see how we stack up against the great QB's, but it's not like our opponents were using High School QB's.

Cyphon
12-24-2012, 02:29 PM
It is just one bad season and a true fan sticks with his team no matter what.

Well you quoted me so I will answer for myself. At what point did you get the impression I wasn't sticking with the team? If I wasn't sticking with the team I wouldn't care that we have had one of worst seasons I have ever watched and I wouldn't care who was coaching and what decisions they made.

Anyway, I am with the team. I am not with the coach who is dragging our team down.

Firing Tomlin would be horrible and not the Steeler way. He is going to make some changes to make sure next year is successful. Lets not forget this guy has taken us to 2 super bowls and the playoffs in 4 of his 6 years. This will be his first non-winning season. Him and the team will come back stronger than ever.

Look, I am all for loyalty and love that our team stays so consistent. The problem here, is that there are VERY clear decisions that all fall on Tomlins head that were terrible and you can see our teams progression.

Superbowl, first round of the playoffs, not even in the playoffs. As some have pointed out, it is getting to a time when the original team he inherited is not going to be there anymore and it is starting to truly become the team he is building. I don't like what I am seeing.

So I will meet you in the middle. We can see what happens next year. If we miss the playoffs again, I say we let him go and start fresh. This team is too talented not to AT LEAST make the playoffs. Especially considering how bad our division actually was this year.

LLoyd&Greene
12-24-2012, 02:44 PM
Well you quoted me so I will answer for myself. At what point did you get the impression I wasn't sticking with the team? If I wasn't sticking with the team I wouldn't care that we have had one of worst seasons I have ever watched and I wouldn't care who was coaching and what decisions they made.

Anyway, I am with the team. I am not with the coach who is dragging our team down.

Look, I am all for loyalty and love that our team stays so consistent. The problem here, is that there are VERY clear decisions that all fall on Tomlins head that were terrible and you can see our teams progression.

Superbowl, first round of the playoffs, not even in the playoffs. As some have pointed out, it is getting to a time when the original team he inherited is not going to be there anymore and it is starting to truly become the team he is building. I don't like what I am seeing.

So I will meet you in the middle. We can see what happens next year. If we miss the playoffs again, I say we let him go and start fresh. This team is too talented not to AT LEAST make the playoffs. Especially considering how bad our division actually was this year.So which is it? Do you think that the team is talented, or do you not like the way that Tomlin and the FO are rebuilding the team? You sound silly.

Cyphon
12-24-2012, 02:54 PM
So which is it? Do you think that the team is talented, or do you not like the way that Tomlin and the FO are rebuilding the team? You sound silly.

I worded it poorly. Yes, the team is very talented. There is not 1 position on the team I am overly concerned with.

I am however, concerned with a lot of Tomlins coaching decisions and there are some roster moves they made I still shake my head about.

So again, I say we give him 1 more year to turn it around and if he doesn't he should go.

LLoyd&Greene
12-24-2012, 03:05 PM
I worded it poorly. Yes, the team is very talented. There is not 1 position on the team I am overly concerned with.

I am however, concerned with a lot of Tomlins coaching decisions and there are some roster moves they made I still shake my head about.

So again, I say we give him 1 more year to turn it around and if he doesn't he should go.So who are you thinking about replacing Tomlin with? Why wouldn't you be concerned about the precedent that that would set? I mean if you fire Tomlin after 7 seasons and 2 SB appearances, then how short will the leash be for the guy who replaces him. Does he get 2-3 years to lead the team to a SB before you replace him too? I just don't understand the lack of respect that fans here have for Tomlin and the overall job that he's done since replacing Cowher. Tomlin just had the team in the SB the season before last, yet some of you are saying he's on his last chance? Doesn't make much sense.

steelerchad
12-24-2012, 03:21 PM

of course you try to move the ball with 44 seconds and a timeout left. You only need 2 or 3 plays to get into a game winning FG situation to end the game. Leaving it up to OT is basically flipping a coin as to who's going to win.
Thinking that your star QB is going to float one over a wide open guy for an easy pick is ridiculous.
You have the ball. You control the game. Any team in the league goes for the win there.
That loss is on Ben. The D was great. The game was there for the taking. And our franchise, elite QB not only didn't get it done. He gave it away to the other team who couldn't move the ball any better than we could all day long.

Cyphon
12-24-2012, 03:23 PM
So who are you thinking about replacing Tomlin with?

Not sure. Dream come true would be Cowher back. Not going to happen but a guy can dream.

In any case, we would have a year to find a good choice.

Why wouldn't you be concerned about the precedent that that would set?

I am concerned. But my other concern is letting a guy continue off of reputation alone if they aren't producing results.

I just don't understand the lack of respect that fans here have for Tomlin and the overall job that he's done since replacing Cowher.

My lack of respect comes from seeing him make decisions that even retards could make better.

Tomlin just had the team in the SB the season before last, yet some of you are saying he's on his last chance? Doesn't make much sense.

It does make sense. As I have already pointed out. You just don't like it.

SB -> out in the first round of the playoffs -> can't even make the playoffs in a weak division. It is a disturbing trend.

kent
12-24-2012, 03:44 PM

So I will meet you in the middle. We can see what happens next year. If we miss the playoffs again, I say we let him go and start fresh. This team is too talented not to AT LEAST make the playoffs. Especially considering how bad our division actually was this year.

I was talking about the fans that have only been negative about the team for the last part of this season. I should have made that more clear, I was just quoting you when it came to Tomlin and Cowher. I do see your point with the regression over the past three years. Tomlin definitely deserves to come back and if the season next year is like this then we could talk about him leaving more seriously. He did make many mistakes but so did the players themselves and injuries were a big problem.

LVSteelersfan
12-24-2012, 03:49 PM
You all are totally wrong on Tomlin rebuilding the team. He has great players. He just doesn't seem to be able to motivate them to play hard every single game. Belicheat will send your ass packing right off the team if you are a slacker just collecting a paycheck. I really think it is time for LeBeau to hang it up and switch to a 4-3. Every team in the league knows how to attack the Steelers 3-4 with the 10 yard gaps on the WRs. They just throw an out route and pick up the 7-8 yards they need on third down. This leads to scores or bad field position for the Steelers because there are no 3 and outs. Game in and game out. This team was very disappointing to watch this year. They showed just enough flashes of good play to keep us hoping they would gel later on. Tomlin is going nowhere unfortunately. But the elder Rooney will be back from Ireland so I hope he lights a fire under the coaching staff.

ZoneBlitzer
12-24-2012, 03:58 PM
You all are totally wrong on Tomlin rebuilding the team. He has great players. He just doesn't seem to be able to motivate them to play hard every single game. Belicheat will send your ass packing right off the team if you are a slacker just collecting a paycheck. I really think it is time for LeBeau to hang it up and switch to a 4-3. Every team in the league knows how to attack the Steelers 3-4 with the 10 yard gaps on the WRs. They just throw an out route and pick up the 7-8 yards they need on third down. This leads to scores or bad field position for the Steelers because there are no 3 and outs. Game in and game out. This team was very disappointing to watch this year. They showed just enough flashes of good play to keep us hoping they would gel later on. Tomlin is going nowhere unfortunately. But the elder Rooney will be back from Ireland so I hope he lights a fire under the coaching staff.

Steelers would be lost without LeBeau. Him and his defensive scheme kept this team competitive and alive this season.

The majority of the blame lies on the offense which repeatedly shot itself in the foot with 3 and outs, negative plays and a plethora of turnovers.

LLoyd&Greene
12-24-2012, 04:00 PM
::rofl:Not sure. Dream come true would be Cowher back. Not going to happen but a guy can dream.

In any case, we would have a year to find a good choice.

Wow, thank goodness that you're not running a franchise that I root for. You seem to be completely oblivious. Good coaches aren't a dime a dozen, and how would the Steelers have a year to find one? Do you expect them to look during the season while Tomlin is still the guy? How old are you?

I am concerned. But my other concern is letting a guy continue off of reputation alone if they aren't producing results.

Tomlin has produced though. Again, the team was just in the SB and was 12-4 the 2 seasons before this one.

My lack of respect comes from seeing him make decisions that even retards could make better.

I think that you're giving yourself too much credit, I don't know if you could have done any better. Jokes aside, you don't think that you're being a little irrational? I think that Tomlin has made some bad decisions as well, but the bad decisions that he's made this year don't outweigh the success that he has led the team to over the course of his 6 seasons. Your lack of respect is a result of being ignorant.

It does make sense. As I have already pointed out. You just don't like it.

SB -> out in the first round of the playoffs -> can't even make the playoffs in a weak division. It is a disturbing trend.

I'll tell you what's disturbing, fans who are as cluelessly spoiled as you. You don't make any sense. No team is guranteed to make the playoffs and win games every year. Evidently it's not as simple or as easy as you think it is, don't you think? The team was just in the SB in 2010, but because they lost in the 1st round last year and didn't make the playoffs this year Tomlin should be fired? Obviously you weren't around when Cowher missed the playoffs 3 straight years. This isn't a franchise that makes knee-jerk reactions and fires coaches willy-nilly. Don't know why so many socalled fans don't understand that.

Cyphon
12-24-2012, 04:43 PM
L&G.....If you don't mind could you not respond inside the quotes like that? It makes it harder to respond to the specific points.

Wow, thank goodness that you're not running a franchise that I root for. You seem to be completely oblivious.

Pot calling the kettle black methinks.

Good coaches aren't a dime a dozen, and how would the Steelers have a year to find one? Do you expect them to look during the season while Tomlin is still the guy?

They could certainly start considering options if not outright speaking to specific people. Keep their eyes on people they like etc....

How old are you?

Tomlin has produced though. Again, the team was just in the SB and was 12-4 the 2 seasons before this one.

As I have pointed out, he is on a downward trend you seem to want to ignore. You are doing exactly what I don't want to see which is living off of old successes. His old successes are why I have said to give him another year. But what if we miss the playoffs again? What if we are out in the first round?

And I want to stress that I wouldn't even be so hard on him if we had a worse team but as you yourself point out, we have a team that has been the SB and been 12-4. So we have the talent to do it. Coaching has to be better though.

I think that Tomlin has made some bad decisions as well, but the bad decisions that he's made this year don't outweigh the success that he has led the team to over the course of his 6 seasons.

It depends on how you view it. If it were minor things I might agree with you. However, he is having major malfunctions in his decisions. One of the worst calls I have ever seen made was having Shuisam attempt from 54. So you can argue well....He probably showed the leg for it in practice so we gave him a chance. Cool. He had his chance and blew it. The problem is, Tomlin made the same call TWICE......TWICE. He mad the worst call I have ever seen TWICE in the same year and one of them was during what was basically a playoff game.

Your lack of respect is a result of being ignorant.

Again, pot calling the kettle black. You seem blind to what is right in front of you. You are ignoring current problems because of past successes.

I'll tell you what's disturbing, fans who are as cluelessly spoiled as you.

Pot kettle. Pot kettle. Pot kettle. If nothing else, you are consistent.

Evidently it's not as simple or as easy as you think it is, don't you think? The team was just in the SB in 2010, but because they lost in the 1st round last year and didn't make the playoffs this year Tomlin should be fired?

No. He should be fired if he doesn't get results next year, as I have already conceded.

And it kind of is as simple as I think. Again, I go back to the FG. That call cost us the game the first time Tomlin made the call. That one game has us in the playoffs or still in the hunt at this point.

LLoyd&Greene
12-24-2012, 05:50 PM
They could certainly start considering options if not outright speaking to specific people. Keep their eyes on people they like etc....Well you can't look for a coach without speaking to people to see who would or wouldn't be a good fit for your organization. I don't even know what "Keep their eyes on people they like" means.

As I have pointed out, he is on a downward trend you seem to want to ignore. You are doing exactly what I don't want to see which is living off of old successes. His old successes are why I have said to give him another year. But what if we miss the playoffs again? What if we are out in the first round? The team has been 12-4 the 2 previous seasons including a SB sappearance and you act as if I'm living way in the past. I'm not ignoring anything, you're just being irrational. Forget all of that "what if" negative talk. What if we bounce back and win the SB next year? Why aren't you thinking like that instead of being Debbie Downer ready to flip out and fire the coach because we had 1 disappointing season? There are a number of people who are culpable for the way this season has gone, it's not all on Tomlin.

And I want to stress that I wouldn't even be so hard on him if we had a worse team but as you yourself point out, we have a team that has been the SB and been 12-4. So we have the talent to do it. Coaching has to be better though. Yes, coaching has to be better going forward but players will obviously have to play better too. Coaches aren't out there dropping the ball, fumbling the ball, throwing inexcusable picks, or making boneheaded mistakes/penalties. There's nothing wrong with being disapppointed but if you're a true fan then I don't see why you're being so irrational. Even thinking of firing Tomlin at this point is just a dumb idea. It's stupid.

It depends on how you view it. If it were minor things I might agree with you. However, he is having major malfunctions in his decisions. One of the worst calls I have ever seen made was having Shuisam attempt from 54. So you can argue well....He probably showed the leg for it in practice so we gave him a chance. Cool. He had his chance and blew it. The problem is, Tomlin made the same call TWICE......TWICE. He mad the worst call I have ever seen TWICE in the same year and one of them was during what was basically a playoff game. Now you're just being hyperbolic. It was a bad call, and I was yelling at the TV telling Tomlin to punt the ball when he made it. It was hardly the worst call ever or anything close to that though. If I'm not mistaken, the kicker has only missed 3 fgs all year, and 1 of them wasn't his fault. It's quite possible that he had been making them from that far consistently in practice and that's why Tomlin gave him the opportunity to win the game. If he had made the kick nobody would criticize the decision and we'd all be happy.. Tomlin obviously had faith that the defense could bail us out and he was right in that regard. We lost the game because Ben threw an inexcusable pick, not because of Tomlin's bad call. To reiterate and make it clear, it was Ben's decison-making that cost the Steelers the game not Tomlin's.

Pot kettle. Pot kettle. Pot kettle. If nothing else, you are consistent. I'm starting to think that this "pot calling the kettle black" phrase is one that you've just learned or you're just trying to be slick. Either way it's clear that you have no idea what it means. Why don't you explain how I'm acting like a spoiled fan? This should be good.

No. He should be fired if he doesn't get results next year, as I have already conceded.

And it kind of is as simple as I think. Again, I go back to the FG. That call cost us the game the first time Tomlin made the call. That one game has us in the playoffs or still in the hunt at this point. Actually neither of those calls cost us the game. Imo the Titan game was not lost on Tomlin's decision to attempt that fg, it was lost in the 59 mins of lethargic football that the team played before that. That game shouldn't have come down to us attempting a 54 yd fg to win the game. You go for the win on the road, you don't play for overtime. The Bengals game wasn't lost on Tomlin's call either, as I've already explained. I put that lost on Ben, Haley, and the offense. The field goal team helped lose the game as well.

Tomlin's job is secure as well it should be. Sure he will have to make some adjustments and he's probably going to have to kick some ass next year, but he should not be on any kind of hot-seat. I'm not worried about the team not making the playoffs or not being improved as a team because I have confidence in not only Tomlin, but the organization as a whole from the players to the FO. They've earned it.

Terrapin
12-24-2012, 08:07 PM
Well your agenda against Tomlin is palpable. Obviously you're not being objective here. Just don't break your arm patting yourself on the back for being unapolegetically racist as an anonymous person on the internet. That takes so much courage, you're so brave.

A few questions though. Did you know who Bill Cowher was before he was hired? Did you approve of his resume, because it wasn't all that much better or extensive than Tomlin's was? Both Cowher and Tomlin were hired when they were about 35 years old with minimal coaching experience including no HC experience, yet some of you want to act like the Tomlin hire is something that the franchise has never done. You're trying to paint Tomlin as some type of AA HC who's proven himself unworthy of the job. That insults me as a Steelers fan who happens to be black. Tomlin has not been a perfect coach by any stretch and this season is a big disappointment. However, Tomlin's overall record and resume as the Steelers HC speaks for itself and fans who are still questioning whether he can do the job sound silly. If he couldn't do the job then he wouldn't have 2 SB appearances under his belt. I know I know, any success the team has had has been achieved despite Tomlin while he's responsible for everything that's gone wrong. That's how it goes with people like you, right?

This isn't true. Like you've already admitted, you(and others like you) have always had an agenda against Tomlin. You just couldn't express that anti-Tomlin agenda when we were winning without exposing yourself even more than you're doing now. I honestly wish that 99.9% of Steelers fans didn't care that Tomlin is black but apparently that's not true. You also need to get off of your high-horse and stop being disingenuous. This team is no more unclassy than some of the teams under Cowher. I certainly remember Hines Ward mimmicking the end zone celebrations of players from opposing teams. Was that classy? How about my main man J Peazy and his infamous list of antics? Are you a new Steelers fan?

Switzer was in Dallas for just 3 seasons and resigned after going 6-10 in his 3rd season. Tomlin has already coached the Steelers for twice as long, has been to twice as many SBs, and has never gone 6-10. Can we stop trying to make that comparison? Again, I agree with a lot of the criticisms made about the job that Tomlin has done this season. I think that we all want to see the problems plaguing the team be corrected. My issue is with the personal attacks towards Tomlin. My issue is with fans who have an agenda against him based on other ish and are using this season as an excuse to justify their non-football related agenda.If the truth hurts........... The reasons that you and others have listed to support saying that Tomlin's not a good coach don't hold water. His resume as the Steelers HC speaks for itself. This isn't the only season that he's been the HC and a lot of the problems that haunted the team this season weren't there in his previous year's leading the team. It's ok to be disappointed, but it's not cool to be ignorant. You're ignorant, meaning you dont know what you're talking about. Tomlin has coached the team to being a joke? 2 SB appreances in 6 years is a joke?

I call them like I see them. Since any criticism of a black man is racist nowadays, I guess I'm guilty. Hell, it's how Obama was elected, twice. Talk about someone with no resume and no record.

Anyway, back to Tomlin. If you reread my original post, you'll see that I was one of the few defending Tomlin. He's not a good coach. But how could we expect anything different? The blame lies with Rooney, for not only hiring Tomlin, but accepting this primadonna culture that's plaguing this team. And yes, it started back with Cowher. And Ben (a white guy) was/is a major part of that. Why should we have thought Tomlin would know how/when to go for 2, when to try field goals, how to use timeouts, how to discipline and manage personnel, etc? He has NEVER done any of that his entire life. His poor coaching decisions are no suprise to me, and they are no fault of his own.

He has led the team to 2 superbowls, and that can't or shouldn't be overlooked. He has had much success here, and again, I"m not calling for him to be fired. But he needs to change some things, including himself, if he intends on coaching here. And he cannot and should not be above criticism, regardless of the color of his skin.

And since you have still not answered my question (instead choosing to call me racist), I'll ask one more time. What on his resume propelled him into coaching this franchise? If it wasn't an AA/Rooney rule hire, and i hope it wasn't, then what was it that separated him from the other candidates? If it was his experience and record, then let's hear it. Personally I hope we go 16-0 and win a Superbowl each and every year, and I'd love it if Tomlin were the coach to lead us.

harrison'samonster
12-24-2012, 08:25 PM
What on his resume propelled him into coaching this franchise? If it wasn't an AA/Rooney rule hire, and i hope it wasn't, then what was it that separated him from the other candidates? If it was his experience and record, then let's hear it. Personally I hope we go 16-0 and win a Superbowl each and every year, and I'd love it if Tomlin were the coach to lead us.

What I remember reading or hearing was that Tomlin blew them away in the interviews. (And my assumption) Probably got a great recommendation from Tony Dungy, a pittsburgh guy who was getting a lot of credit for the Colts success at the time.

Terrapin
12-24-2012, 08:33 PM
What I remember reading or hearing was that Tomlin blew them away in the interviews. (And my assumption) Probably got a great recommendation from Tony Dungy, a pittsburgh guy who was getting a lot of credit for the Colts success at the time.

Thank you. While I don't agree that a stellar interview and recommendation makes someone with no experience the ideal candidate, at least it's an explanation. I remember the interview being a determining factor too.

lipps83
12-24-2012, 09:42 PM
Maybe we should have kept Whisenhunt? He has been doing an awesome job in Arizona. 5-10?

Oh yeah, I expect to hear the "but they don't have a QB" excuse.

It's not like he hasn't had 6 years to find one.

VictoryFormation
12-24-2012, 10:20 PM
Under Whisenhunt, the cardinals went 9-7, and, somehow, managed to get to the Super Bowl, one year. That was about it. When they went to the Super Bowl, Todd Haley was their offensive coordinator. It was the Whisenhunt-Haley offense that got them there. But, when Haley struck out on his own as Head Coach of the Chiefs, his offense had limited success.

OX1947
12-24-2012, 11:36 PM
Under Whisenhunt, the cardinals went 9-7, and, somehow, managed to get to the Super Bowl, one year. That was about it. When they went to the Super Bowl, Todd Haley was their offensive coordinator. It was the Whisenhunt-Haley offense that got them there. But, when Haley struck out on his own as Head Coach of the Chiefs, his offense had limited success.

Kurt Warner, John Skelton, Kevin Kolb, Matt Cassel. What do all these guys have in common?

ricardisimo
12-26-2012, 07:18 AM
I'm critical of Mike Tomlin and the decision he has made this year as well. And I'm on record as saying his clock management skills were awful this year, he should and probably will be reprimanded for his actions. He will not be fired for having a bad season. However, you sir/mam are just completely ignorant! Comments like this, calling this man a Monkey is just uncalled for. Ignorant individuals like yourself is the main reason our country is in the current mess that it is in. :mad:

Yes, Tomlin did a poor job as a H.C. this year, his teams were not mentally prepared at all. Stop it with the racial remarks, no need for it. Where is the moderator?
The moderator is right here, and the genius who authored that post has been infracted. Please remember that we're not omniscient, and we have other lives, so when this stuff pops up we're counting on other members to let us know about it.

Bayz101
12-26-2012, 08:51 AM
The moderators and administrators are watching over the forum, so need to worry about that. Infractions have been handed out.

Justp94
12-26-2012, 08:46 PM
Tomlin is one of the best coaches in the league, what are you smoking on?

OX1947
12-26-2012, 09:08 PM

HAHAHAHAHAH, what are WE smokin?

OliverPoop
12-27-2012, 12:40 AM

If by best you mean most overrated then yes you are correct.

silver & black
12-27-2012, 11:14 AM
All you guys yelling about how bad your coach is; you wanna trade even up for Dennis Allen?

harrison'samonster
12-27-2012, 11:23 AM
All you guys yelling about how bad your coach is; you wanna trade even up for Dennis Allen?

who? no offense meant.

stb_steeler
12-27-2012, 12:01 PM
Simply amazing.....Some Steeler fans are spoiled no doubt!
As i recall back during SB 43 when Harrison had the longest return in SB history i dont rememeber many askin for Tomlins head then. In fact i seen a few praise him for the effort that he prepared them for a play just like that in the event they would get a turn over.

OX1947
12-27-2012, 12:14 PM
Simply amazing.....Some Steeler fans are spoiled no doubt!
As i recall back during SB 43 when Harrison had the longest return in SB history i dont rememeber many askin for Tomlins head then. In fact i seen a few praise him for the effort that he prepared them for a play just like that in the event they would get a turn over.

Tomlin didnt prepare squat on that play. Harrison dropped back on his own because of homework HE had done. He was suppose to rush Warner on that play.

Tomlin is an ok coach, he isnt anything special. Tomlin to me is like Jon Gruden, his hype and mouth are bigger then their talent.

OX1947
12-27-2012, 12:15 PM
who? no offense meant.

What the Raiders do has no relevance to common knowledge. Dennis Allen isnt even a pop warner coach. I have no idea how the hell that guy got a head coaching job in the NFL, oh wait, its the Raiders, never mind.

steel striker
12-27-2012, 02:45 PM
Look did Tomlin make some mistakes yes he sure did but, it was not his fault on all of the TO's against the browns. Or giving up the leads in Oakland orgainst the Titians. Trying a 53 yard FG @ Heinze field not the best of choices. I did not like how he handled to RB situation as I know alot of you have mentioned. Tomlin should not be fired all we can to is reload for next year. Hopefully they can keep Ben healthy and, the defense as well. Let's face it too many injuries. No excuse just the truth.

silver & black
12-27-2012, 03:42 PM
What the Raiders do has no relevance to common knowledge. Dennis Allen isnt even a pop warner coach. I have no idea how the hell that guy got a head coaching job in the NFL, oh wait, its the Raiders, never mind.

LOL...... pretty much. DA is in over his head. No one knows why he was even considered for HC. He needs to be gone..... I've seen enough.

stb_steeler
12-27-2012, 04:18 PM
Tomlin didnt prepare squat on that play. Harrison dropped back on his own because of homework HE had done. He was suppose to rush Warner on that play.

Tomlin is an ok coach, he isnt anything special. Tomlin to me is like Jon Gruden, his hype and mouth are bigger then their talent.

Yes.. the play was all Harrison we know that.....But the blockin for James on the play was practiced all week by Tomlin in the even they would get INT's.

OX1947
12-27-2012, 04:23 PM
Yes.. the play was all Harrison we know that.....But the blockin for James on the play was practiced all week by Tomlin in the even they would get INT's.

Agreed. Points for Tomlin on that one. He said he woke up in the middle of the night on that one too.

Hawaii 5-0
12-27-2012, 06:45 PM
Mike Tomlin is Not Getting Fired

Dec 27

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTrlDzULUKJaGc4e9Ml7hSrAnJDPrxb4 yBnRKBgo57JqtrabotaiQ

Look, I’m just as disappointed as many of you are about the 2012 Pittsburgh Steelers. It was a season that offered some promise and at the very least another trip to the playoffs if nothing else. Those dreams crashed and burned with offensive ineptitude and a defense that couldn’t create enough big plays.

There will be and is lots of blame to go around and I know this will upset some of you but Mike Tomlin is not getting fired. Did he have a poor season? Well, that’s like asking if the Rooney Family is Irish. Like players, coaches can have bad seasons too and Tomlin certainly falls in to that category.

Those of you calling for him to be sent packing must be forgetting that you root for the Pittsburgh Steelers. This is a franchise that has had three, count’em THREE head coaches since 1969!! The Rooney Family does not take kindly to knee jerk reactions and they won’t in this case either.

Do you realize how ridiculous we sound to other teams’ fans when we call for a guy who has been to two Super Bowls and is just 40 years old to be fired? Imagine being a Chargers’ fan or a Lions fan or for the love of God a Browns’ fan!! Look at some the crap they’ve had to endure over the years and maybe you’ll see things differently.

Does Tomlin have things to prove? Absolutely he does. He has to address the special teams’ issues and he must bring in a new offensive line coach. He’ll have some soul-searching to do when it comes to his coordinators but I see no changes there, sorry to disappoint many of you.

Perhaps the biggest thing Tomlin has to do is review his game-management failures. He has to realize that his personnel has changed since he took the team over and yet he still coaches as if these are the same players they once were. A head coach must adapt to his team and I think this is where Tomlin has failed.

He often fails to recognize the ability of Shaun Suisham who has had a fantastic season, yet the entire fan base knows he can’t be relied on for anything over 50 yards yet Tomlin still trots him out there. He must realize that this team is not built to hammer the ball straight-ahead on a long fourth and one. If you’re going to go for it at mid-field then you have to be more creative than what has been shown in recent years.

This will be a big off-season for Mike Tomlin. He will have to work with Kevin Colbert and salary cap guru Omar Khan to decide who goes and who stays. In their place, he must find players who can make an impact and that will be around for a few years.

Many of the Cowher-Era guys are on their way out if they haven’t left already so the pressure is on Tomlin to draft better than he has in the past and find free agents who can contribute at a fair wage.

No, Mike Tomlin is not going anywhere but I do believe he will be in serious trouble if this team does not make the playoffs next year. The Rooney’s are patient but they understand this isn’t the 70′s or 80′s anymore and the fans’ voice is stronger than ever. Steelers’ Nation has high expectations and no one knows that more than Tomlin.

http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/article_external/mike_tomlin_is_not_getting_fired/12518404

Barry H
12-27-2012, 07:11 PM
It seems we're always looking up at the Ravens. And the one game when we did beat them (barely, with a last-second field goal), Tomlin didn't even have the class and professionalism to shake Harbaugh's hand.
We just have an inferiority complex toward the Ravens, and it's driving me nuts.

OX1947
12-27-2012, 07:39 PM
It seems we're always looking up at the Ravens. And the one game when we did beat them (barely, with a last-second field goal), Tomlin didn't even have the class and professionalism to shake Harbaugh's hand.
We just have an inferiority complex toward the Ravens, and it's driving me nuts.

Huh? Harbaugh is a class A douche. That's why Tomlin shit on him. Not because the (bleep) Ravens are in any way making the Steelers inferior to them.

harrison'samonster
12-27-2012, 07:41 PM
Huh? Harbaugh is a class A douche. That's why Tomlin shit on him. Not because the (bleep) Ravens are in any way making the Steelers inferior to them.

he's a worthless troll.

steelfury02
12-28-2012, 08:05 AM
Steelers>Ravens no matter if we're in the dance or not. The Ray Rice himself even said whatever they do won't mean anything unless they make it to the SB and/or win it - because that is what they are comparing themselves to - The Steelers.

How do you think they felt after Charlie Batch beat them? It messed with their head to the tune of a losing streak, and looking like the 4th best team in the AFC next to Patriots, Broncos, and Texans. They had a chance at a bye and maybe even Champ game at M&T and we totally messed it up for them.

The Steelers did it to them, yet again, even when injured and undisciplined.

plenewken
12-28-2012, 08:45 AM
How do you think they felt after Charlie Batch beat them?

I dunno. The same as we felt after they beat us 2 weeks prior? :noidea:

steelfury02
12-28-2012, 09:11 AM
I dunno. The same as we felt after they beat us 2 weeks prior? :noidea:

:thumbsup:

PantherFan23
12-29-2012, 06:40 PM
Are you people shitting me?

You want to fire, technically, the most successful head coach, in NFL history? lol. You don't go to two superbowls, and win one without good coaching. If you don't believe me, look at the Chargers, Cowboys,etc. Great teams, bad coaching. Bill Cowher had a couple awful seasons too, you know. Mike Tomlin isn't going anywhere, and if he was fired, 25 teams would dump their coaches to get him, and rightfully so.
?
Also, to address the AA hire crap. How many coaches get HC gigs, without ever coaching before? Uhh if that was the standard, you would have no coaches in 10 years. And I have two words for you. DENNIS ALLEN. You guys are spoiled brats. I hope Tomlin quits. You are slowly becoming Eagle fans.

Ricco Suavez
12-29-2012, 06:42 PM
Are you people shitting me?

You want to fire, technically, the most successful head coach, in NFL history? lol. You don't do to two superbowls, and win one without good coaching. If you don't believe me, look at the Chargers, Cowboys,etc. Great teams, bad coaching. Bill Cowher had a couple awful seasons too, you know. Mike Tomlin isn't going anywhere, and if he was fired, 25 teams would dump their coaches to get him, and rightly so.
?
Also, to address the AA hire crap. How many coaches get HC gigs, without ever coaching before? Uhh if that was the standard, you would have no coaches in 1 years. And I have to words for you. DENNIS ALLEN. You guys are spoiled brats. I hope Tomlin quits. You are slowly becoming Eagle fans.

Not all of us, but I suspect some of these posters are really trolls just trying to muddy things up.

SteelersCanada
12-29-2012, 06:45 PM
See guys, we're getting laughed at by other fanbases because they know what kind of whiny little girls we're all being. If that doesn't give us a little bit of perspective, I'm not sure anything will at this point.

PantherFan23
12-29-2012, 06:46 PM
Not all of us, but I suspect some of these posters are really trolls just trying to muddy things up.

I mean its just unbelievable to me that this was brought up, and discussed in a serious manner. Trolls or not.

PantherFan23
12-29-2012, 06:53 PM
The Panthers should be at least 10-5 right now. We are 6-9 solely because our entire coaching staff, are morons. When Tomlin punts the ball on 4th and Inches from midfield, and the other team drives down the field to win the game, twice in a span of 3 weeks, then you can talk about firing people. This thread is almost insulting to people such as myself, and fans across the league that would give a nut to have a coach, with half of the talent as Tomlin.

/rant

fansince'76
12-29-2012, 06:58 PM
I mean its just unbelievable to me that this was brought up, and discussed in a serious manner. Trolls or not.

Happens after EVERY freaking loss and has for as long as I can remember. And it was the same shit after every loss when Cowher was still around too, so it's not unique to Tomlin.

Blacksburg Zach
12-29-2012, 07:21 PM
It's threads like these that make me truly understand why Ryan Clark called Steelers fans a spoiled bunch.

steelerjames
12-29-2012, 09:57 PM
no way you get rid of Tomlin. Who would you get Andy Reed lol