PDA

View Full Version : What is our Standard on Offense?

eafratitpm3
12-23-2012, 03:46 PM
Can someone please tell me what is the Standard for the Pittsburgh Steelers on Offense. I've heard Tomlin "briefly" talk about the standard, LOL, but I'm not sure I've heard what our Offensive standard is. Thanks in advance for clarifying!!

Fire Arians
12-23-2012, 03:49 PM
give the quarterback 2 seconds to throw the ball, put yourself in 3rd and long, give the quarterback 1 second to throw the ball, punt

wait for the defense to give you a golden opportunity

squander opportunity, punt, give up field position

lose

Terminator
12-23-2012, 03:53 PM
Score 14 points or less.

Have a total running yardage game of 50 yards or less.

Throw 3 interceptions per game.

Have your top-ranked WR's play like shit every week because they know the offense sucks.

Stairway2-7
12-23-2012, 03:55 PM
run

run

pass

punt

steelersfan77
12-23-2012, 03:56 PM
Throw an interception to ice the game. You gotta come through when given opprotunities. That's what great, hell even good teams do.

WVABE
12-23-2012, 04:00 PM
lol, everyone hit it spot on, damn y'all are good.

ZoneBlitzer
12-23-2012, 04:03 PM
run

run

pass

punt

Correction

Run
Run for loss
Pass (sack)
Punt

harrison'samonster
12-23-2012, 04:07 PM
and don't forget to complain at the end of the day

NYC_Steeler
12-23-2012, 04:12 PM
The old Cowher game plan: Run Run Pass

PhantomJB93
12-23-2012, 04:15 PM
The offense was not only functional, but excelling in Haley's system early on this year. Everything went to shit when Ben got injured and was followed soon after by the entire OL and WR corps, but before then the offense looked better than it had in YEARS. It's not time to panic over Haley yet.

ZoneBlitzer
12-23-2012, 04:16 PM
:tt04:The old Cowher game plan: Run Run Pass

Yes, but even Cowher would recognize and adjust to use the pass on FIRST DOWN to open up the run.

GoFor7
12-23-2012, 04:19 PM
The Steelers are trying to go back in time with the offense. They are mostly concerned with TOP rather than scoring. This is why they don't use the no-huddle often, and when they do, they wait until the play clock goes down to snap the ball, allowing the other team's defense to change personnel.

Outdated philosophies. The Steelers need to come into the 21st century.

tanda10506
12-23-2012, 04:32 PM
Looks like the standard is #20-25th in the league, after the last two years there's no evidence to the contrary.

Penn
12-23-2012, 04:47 PM
The Standard on offense is running two back to back slow developing draw plays to your slowest running back on the team and then getting sacked on third down. Can we scrap this draw play from the playbook? It is worse than the bubble screen.

My god, and its also telegraphed when they do it because Dwyer stands inside of Bens jock whenever they run the draw. They are so close to each other they should just start holding hands so they remember the play call

FanSince72
12-23-2012, 06:16 PM
We HAVE a standard?

WVABE
12-23-2012, 08:09 PM
I wanna see Haley in the stands next week and let Ben go haywire with his own plays,
I never ever guantee any victories but I bet we would win convincingly. (<spellcheck)

tanda10506
12-23-2012, 08:27 PM
I wanna see Haley in the stands next week and let Ben go haywire with his own plays,
I never ever guantee any victories but I bet we would win convincingly. (<spellcheck)

I really hope we don't try to play this one for pride and we just use the game to try new things and play our young players. Yes I know it sounds stupid to get swept by the Browns, but the only thing we gain by beating them is lower draft pick. Let our young guys play, run some new plays on offense (since ours aren't working) and rest the vets that barely made it through the season, if we win we win if we don't we don't. It's more beneficial to the team to do that then to play all our starters and act like this game is one we have to win, let's just see what some guys can do.

ZoneBlitzer
12-23-2012, 08:34 PM

I heard someone on the radio suggest that maybe Haley should go upstairs and call the plays.

jiminpa
12-23-2012, 08:40 PM
The Steelers are trying to go back in time with the offense. They are mostly concerned with TOP rather than scoring. This is why they don't use the no-huddle often, and when they do, they wait until the play clock goes down to snap the ball, allowing the other team's defense to change personnel.

Outdated philosophies. The Steelers need to come into the 21st century.Your stupid unsubstantiated fantasy has been debunked time and time again. Who on the Steelers staff has ever said that TOP is the only thing they are concerned with? Please link to the quote. You can't do it, because it isn't true and you know it isn't.

TOP is useful, but no one with any understanding of the game believes it to be the only important facet to an offense, any more than anyone with any understanding of the game would think it irrelevant.

jiminpa
12-23-2012, 08:43 PM
We'd have more turnovers than points, just like every other time we let BR loose. Which is why the Rooney's had to take control of the OC situation, and get someone who would reign him in and try to force him to get better no matter how much he doesn't like the idea.

tanda10506
12-23-2012, 09:27 PM
I heard someone on the radio suggest that maybe Haley should go upstairs and call the plays.

I was actually just telling the group that I watch the games with that. I didn't think of it till I got NFL Rewind and watched coach's film. Watching the regular broadcast gives us fans a better view then Haley has. Up in the box would be equivalent to watching coach's film. He'd have a full view of the field. I can't see the advantage of being on the sideline. Sure you can talk things over during the breaks a bit better, but wouldn't it be much better to trade that off for actually being able to see what your players are doing?

therocksteeler
12-24-2012, 03:50 AM
give the quarterback 2 seconds to throw the ball, put yourself in 3rd and long, give the quarterback 1 second to throw the ball, punt

wait for the defense to give you a golden opportunity

squander opportunity, punt, give up field position

lose

Wow LoL ...... agreed....There really needs to be no standard of play for us. I mean hey thats what made us great in seasons past. How many games have we heard from broadcast followers to analysts to other NFL teams. The Steelers are great due to you never know what they are going to throw at you on Defense or Offensively.

FanSince72
12-24-2012, 07:00 AM

I think Haley should quit altogether and then we should start making calls to Indy and see if we can get Arians back.

WVABE
12-24-2012, 07:26 AM
When everyone is healthy and on the same page Haley looks pretty good, but when players are swapped around I start questioning his play calling. Some pretty bonehead play calls.

Fire Haley
12-24-2012, 07:29 AM
Third and one at the six...that was the game...and Tomlin doesn't make the playcalls.

Haley has to go!

You run on third and if you have to, you run on fourth.

TRH
12-24-2012, 07:48 AM
i think Tomlin himself is a little unsure of what "the standard" means.

A couple of things Tomlin probably should regret saying is "we're going to unleash hell" and this "standard" thing.
He's finding out that just being in Pittsburgh doesn't "guarantee you" some wins. And that other teams also have "a standard" that appears to be a little higher than the one we have here.