PDA

View Full Version : A Bit Confused Over The Hate

Darkstorm05
12-23-2012, 06:49 PM
The entire second half of the season the forum was swamped with people saying the Steelers don't deserve a playoff spot, or even that they don't want the Steelers in the playoffs. Now that we're eliminated, these people have their wish, yet they aren't happy. Instead they're mostly on here attacking fans who preferred to cheer for the team to win.

I don't really understand this mentality. You got the record you hoped for this season. Shouldn't you be celebrating this, since it's what you professed to want? Instead, just more bitching, but now aiming the hate at other fans. :noidea:

steve314
12-23-2012, 07:04 PM
The entire second half of the season the forum was swamped with people saying the Steelers don't deserve a playoff spot, or even that they don't want the Steelers in the playoffs. Now that we're eliminated, these people have their wish, yet they aren't happy. Instead they're mostly on here attacking fans who preferred to cheer for the team to win.

I don't really understand this mentality. You got the record you hoped for this season. Shouldn't you be celebrating this, since it's what you professed to want? Instead, just more bitching, but now aiming the hate at other fans. :noidea:

Can't speak for others, but I was disappointed in the Steelers this year, not just in the second half of the year, but in the sloppy losses to bad teams starting in week 3. I wasn't wishing that they missed the playoffs, but wishing for a forum where people could be critical of the Steelers when they aren't playing well. Now that the people who predicted missed playoffs were right, there is some "I told you so" going around, just as there would've been the other way, with the optimists saying that the Negative Nancies were foolish and wrong to give up too soon etc., if the Steelers had somehow made the playoffs.

I'd definitely rather the Steelers win than my being right, though!

SteelersCanada
12-23-2012, 07:09 PM
We're a spoiled bunch and instead of reacting reasonably, we lash out and cry when we can't win every year. Instead of objective thinking, they call for Tomlin's head and ask for someone else to be brought in when we play poorly and adjusting and dealing with injuries.

The loudmouth and guys that say stupid things should be ignored and laughed at. Tomlin isn't going anywhere and people that think he is don't know how this organization works.

Ricco Suavez
12-23-2012, 07:16 PM
Some on here do seem to relish the drama of an unsuccessful season (any season ending without another Lombardi). Others see only the light Black and Gold glasses emit. Truth is we are not going to be a great team every year, even a good team, the longer Cowher stays gone the better his career seems. We had some lean years during his tenure and as good as Cowher was his teams only made the big game twice and lost one and won one. But this season had a lot of promise and I was not concerned that we lost to an Oakland or Titan team early, I felt we would struggle some and the offense and the defense did both early. When we started to jell and where at 6-3 I was truly excited about our chances, but Ben's injury and many, many more to key personnel hurt our momentum. We never looked like a team capable of making a post-season run after that. So while I always root for the Steelers now that we are done I say so what if we lose next week. Improve our draft position and hope we can pick up some people that will fit in and help, hope the coaches come up with better game plans, and I personally hope either the Falcons, Vikings, Broncos, or even the Seahawks win the Superbowl.

plenewken
12-23-2012, 07:24 PM
It is precisely because we have watched great Steelers teams for years that we have a hard time accepting the fact that they have fallen so low. If it was due to lack of talent, it would be a good reason but it's mostly because of lack of effort, poor attitude, lack of discipline, no focus, and terrible management (coaching).
After 15 games this season, I will say that besides 2 games (in Baltimore and in NY), the 13 others have been been garbage.

I hope the Rooneys see the writing on the wall and act quickly and swiftly. Some players don't deserve to wear a Steelers jersey and others need to have their @ss kicked before they're allowed to wear it again.
The entire Coaching staff has also to be held accountable for this debacle.

Fire Arians
12-23-2012, 07:28 PM
never 'hoped' they would miss the playoffs, I'd never say that, never wish for a loss ever, even if it's the final game of the season and a loss would gain us the #1 pick in the draft.

with that said, I was a realist and didn't think this was a playoff caliber team after losing to SD. championship teams sometimes drop 1, maybe 2 games to weak competition, but not 4. I knew something was up with the team and knew they wouldn't be getting anywhere. with that said, I hope we win next week against cleveland, because getting swept by the browns would be the ultimate low

ZoneBlitzer
12-23-2012, 07:31 PM
This years edition was the Barney Fife of football teams. Most teams with their turnover differential are well below .500 so they are good, there is potential but I kept waiting for the O to ignite but it never did. Instead it fizzled out like a dud firecracker. It was like watching Edward Norton punch himself in the head in Fight Club.

steve314
12-23-2012, 07:52 PM
It is precisely because we have watched great Steelers teams for years that we have a hard time accepting the fact that they have fallen so low. If it was due to lack of talent, it would be a good reason but it's mostly because of lack of effort, poor attitude, lack of discipline, no focus, and terrible management (coaching).
After 15 games this season, I will say that besides 2 games (in Baltimore and in NY), the 13 others have been been garbage.

I hope the Rooneys see the writing on the wall and act quickly and swiftly. Some players don't deserve to wear a Steelers jersey and others need to have their @ss kicked before they're allowed to wear it again.

The economic argument for NFL teams is interesting. The more loyal the fans are, the less (economic) incentive there is for the team to actually improve. If some owner knew that he would sell out the stadium every week and sell plenty of merchandise despite going 7-9 or 8-8 or 9-7 every year, what's the economic incentive to improve the team? (Of course some owners have pride in the team and want to be good regardless of economics.)

Not saying that everyone should think of the NFL only as a business, but the NFL sure thinks of itself that way these days, so perhaps settling for a subpar product is unwise.

Of course this doesn't necessarily apply to the Steelers ownership. We'll see what happens going forward.

And it is easy to be spoiled as a Steeler fan with all their success. On the other hand, it's been a long time since I first sat through the Steelers losing to a crap team. One of the first ones I remember was the first ever game vs the Jaguars, back in 1995 (a crap expansion team that ended up 4-12)--yes, the Steelers managed to lose to a horrible expansion team. So this frustration with sloppy play, dropped passes, timeouts wasted in the 3rd quarter, and in general playing down to the competition goes back a long time.

steve314
12-23-2012, 07:58 PM

The 4th quarter vs the Jets was pretty good. True that the opponent wasn't great, but at least they held the ball and ran out the clock, including a 15 play TD drive.

tanda10506
12-23-2012, 08:12 PM
There's a big difference in hope and reality. Saying that they don't deserve the playoffs and not wanting them to get there are two different things. Does a team that loses to pretty much every bottom feeder they play "deserve" to be there, no. That doesn't mean I don't want to see my team bounce back and play like they should. I don't understand how every overly optimistic person on this forum doesn't understand that. It doesn't matter if I think we can/will win or not, I'm still watching on Sunday wearing the same jersey as the week before, but that doesn't mean I'm going to act like we are SB bound when we can't even beat the Raiders, Titans, Chargers, or Browns.

UltimateBengal
12-23-2012, 08:14 PM
This thread caught my attention and got me to log on for the first time in awhile. I have been avoiding message boards altogether for the past few months because they can be so consumed with such utter hatred and at times, pure ignorance. Take for example my own teams message boards. Even though we won and clinched a playoff birth, instead of being happy, many are still calling for the head coach to be replaced!

tanda10506
12-23-2012, 08:16 PM

I completely agree. You don't see Raiders fans all pissed because they suck again, or the Panthers, or the Browns, etc., yet we are and your reason is exactly that as you said, we've seen how good we can be, yet stupidity, laziness, and poor coaching has dropped us to a damn near bottom feeder level. That's not to say we're a bottom feeder team, I'm definitely not saying that, but we're 7-8 and have lost to nearly every bottom feeding team we played.

Steelers5895
12-23-2012, 08:17 PM
this team never had "it" this year. no key plays at key moments. no big plays on defense. no real comeback wins and several fourth quarter/ OT loses. way too many turnovers, way too many penalties, not many splash plays.

this team was undisciplined all year and the fact we were on the cusp on the playoffs was a miracle. between poor play and injuries it tells me this team can be great but needs to fix a few things.

jiminpa
12-23-2012, 08:20 PM
The economic argument for NFL teams is interesting. The more loyal the fans are, the less (economic) incentive there is for the team to actually improve. If some owner knew that he would sell out the stadium every week and sell plenty of merchandise despite going 7-9 or 8-8 or 9-7 every year, what's the economic incentive to improve the team? (Of course some owners have pride in the team and want to be good regardless of economics.)

Not saying that everyone should think of the NFL only as a business, but the NFL sure thinks of itself that way these days, so perhaps settling for a subpar product is unwise.

Of course this doesn't necessarily apply to the Steelers ownership. We'll see what happens going forward.

And it is easy to be spoiled as a Steeler fan with all their success. On the other hand, it's been a long time since I first sat through the Steelers losing to a crap team. One of the first ones I remember was the first ever game vs the Jaguars, back in 1995 (a crap expansion team that ended up 4-12)--yes, the Steelers managed to lose to a horrible expansion team. So this frustration with sloppy play, dropped passes, timeouts wasted in the 3rd quarter, and in general playing down to the competition goes back a long time.I lived in jacksonville at the time, and that really was their whole entire season to them.

jiminpa
12-23-2012, 08:25 PM

I don't really understand this mentality. You got the record you hoped for this season. Shouldn't you be celebrating this, since it's what you professed to want? Instead, just more bitching, but now aiming the hate at other fans. :noidea:Not me. I wanted it, even when it became obvious that the team, (or some players anyway--BR), didn't. Even without corners the defense came to play though. Too bad the head coach and quarterback were so heavily vested in a bad season. I hope the ownship was watching who was competing and who wasn't.

jiminpa
12-23-2012, 08:28 PM
this team never had "it" this year. no key plays at key moments. no big plays on defense. no real comeback wins and several fourth quarter/ OT loses. way too many turnovers, way too many penalties, not many splash plays.

this team was undisciplined all year and the fact we were on the cusp on the playoffs was a miracle. between poor play and injuries it tells me this team can be great but needs to fix a few things.
I disagree about the defense. They didn't gamble much, and just shut the other teams down once they found their rhythm. If the offense had stepped up the defense wouldn't have needed to gamble...and special teams...I highly doubt Tomlin will ever address our game-changing special ed teams.

steeltheone
12-23-2012, 08:29 PM
never 'hoped' they would miss the playoffs, I'd never say that, never wish for a loss ever, even if it's the final game of the season and a loss would gain us the #1 pick in the draft.

with that said, I was a realist and didn't think this was a playoff caliber team after losing to SD. championship teams sometimes drop 1, maybe 2 games to weak competition, but not 4. I knew something was up with the team and knew they wouldn't be getting anywhere. with that said, I hope we win next week against cleveland, because getting swept by the browns would be the ultimate low

Exactly.....to be honest on the present state or outlook of the team is not hate....I hope we win every game too, but i just knew deep down we would not beat both Cincy and Cleveland in consecutive weeks.

DoctorCAD
12-24-2012, 07:02 AM
Frustration with "cheerleaders" that could not see the obviously horrid coaching and playcalling.

Really, how many 9 yard deep hand-offs did we have this year. Can't blame that on Ben...

Fire Haley
12-24-2012, 07:16 AM
The same haters than ran Arians out of town are now crying for another scapegoat.

TRH
12-24-2012, 07:25 AM
Exactly.....to be honest on the present state or outlook of the team is not hate....I hope we win every game too, but i just knew deep down we would not beat both Cincy and Cleveland in consecutive weeks.

i completely agree. Being honest and knowing we're just not that good and making mental mistakes over and over and over, and then calling this team out as a team that isn't playoff caliber - isn't "hate". Not at all.
It's seeing it for what it really is. We're just not that good. Simple. They shouldn't be in the playoffs.

sloppyjoe
12-24-2012, 10:50 AM

maybe its because throughout tghe season when knowlegable fans point out deficiencies in this team they are label 'non fans' are told to 'root for another team' or that the 'sky isnt falling and those loses wont mean anything because will will get things going and make the playoffs'.
now that those observations come to fruition, those 'non fans' wnat to make it a point that they were right all along and now the 'real fans' want to pretend they didnt say those things.

Rotorhead
12-24-2012, 11:21 AM
Yes and all you realists think we should keep 1-2 players and start completely over, fire all the staff and sell the team lol. I also remember you all saying Lebeau should be fired, oh wait we ended with the #1 Def in the league. But being the whiners you all are, we really werent #1. Look around the league, alot of top teams have bad seasons, this was ours, get over it. Just because i like to be optimistic doesnt mean i am happy with this seasons results or think we will dwell in the league cellar for years. We will be a contender again next season as we have a good core of talent like we always do.

cowherpower
12-24-2012, 02:03 PM
Every team has to go through what we are about to go through. Aging players, bloated salaries, selfish players. It's the hangover from having a SB contender for years. Steelers usually are able to replenish and reload much quicker than most teams though.

Harrison, Hampton, Clark, Troy, Foote are all starters but on down side of their careers talent wise and production wise. Most likely Hampton and Foote need to be replaced. Do we have their replacements? McClendon looks promising, maybe T'Amu. Spence? Silvestor? Shouldn't Silvestor have taken it by now? Not a comforting thought. Who is pushing Troy or Clark? Anyone half the CB Ike is? Some here think so, I see some promise in Allen, but hot garbage everywhere else.

If DeCastro can be the stud we believe he can be, if Adams gets stronger and uses better technique and becomes above average starter, if Sanders can step up his game and take over for Wallace who is sure to leave...AND...we are able to draft at least one pro bowl player, whether a CB, RB, LT, LG, LB...I don't care which..then we have a decent shot at rebounding. A lot has to go right.

austinfrench76
12-24-2012, 02:16 PM
Completely agree with disappointed sentiments. Sloppy play and some really bad coaching Mainly on decisions regarding Field Goals!!! Cost us this game and Tennessee!

Darkstorm05
12-24-2012, 02:44 PM
Nnjkb4q6FKU

TheVet
12-24-2012, 02:49 PM

I think you're confused. Major league, bigtime, confused.
:noidea:
Just because the Steelers didn't deserve a playoff spot doesn't mean that we weren't hoping that they'd sneak in anyway. And accepting reality, analyzing weaknesses and suggesting changes isn't hate. Some of us actually watch the games and think hard about what we're seeing.

And hate isn't the same thing as having a different opinion than yours.

And who's "attacking fans" anyway? The fans didn't botch this season.

You're in La-La land buddy.

Darkstorm05
12-24-2012, 03:08 PM
I think you're confused. Major league, bigtime, confused.
:noidea:
Just because the Steelers didn't deserve a playoff spot doesn't mean that we weren't hoping that they'd sneak in anyway. And accepting reality, analyzing weaknesses and suggesting changes isn't hate. Some of us actually watch the games and think hard about what we're seeing.

And hate isn't the same thing as having a different opinion than yours.

And who's "attacking fans" anyway? The fans didn't botch this season.

You're in La-La land buddy.

Do you actually read these forums?

This isn't the first time I haven't wanted to see them in the POs and it won't be the last.

If they make the POs, yes they're a PO team, but in the AFC, that's not saying much. I never said they don't deserve to be there, I said I'd rather them not get there playing the ball that they're playing than to go one and done again.

If the the steelers lose I get to be "member of the month" where you honor me with a post thanking me for my insightful and correct posts :) Deal?

That's just a few I remembered off the top of my head.

LVSteelersfan
12-24-2012, 03:24 PM
This was a really good team that was torpedoed by absolutely way too many injuries. The players never got to stay on the field together enough to gel. Losing Ike is pretty much what sealed the deal. And now Heath is out with a torn ACL/MCL (read that somewhere). to make it even worse. Ben O'Donnell kept throwing the out routes that got intercepted at the worst possible times. Do those of you who hate O'Donnell now hate Ben just as bad because he railroaded us just as bad? I will still watch the last game despite the mess the last 6 weeks have been because the Steelers are my team and I never get tired of watching them. I don't hate the "I told you so, sky is falling" crowd. But the Steelers are what they are. Don't expect it to change much next year. Ben is what he is and that won't change no matter who the OC is.

steelerschik
12-26-2012, 06:22 AM

LOL, what a piece of work. Who's calling out fans who DARE to have a different opinion than you, different expectations, different outlooks? God forbid. I didn't see anyone celebrating the Steelers being out of the POs. Who the hell "hoped" for this record for the Steelers this season? I had them winning #7 at the beginning of the season. Seriously if fans have a different take than someone else on this site, well get out the cross, hammer and nails.

Were you at the game Sunday? Were you yelling and cheering the team on? Yeah, I was. Do you have season tickets? Have you been a diehard fan of the team since the 70s and stuck by them through any lean years? You don't have the right to question anyone. Everyone has the right to their feelings without being called out for them.

I noticed when you picked my quotes you conveniently left out my posts that stated I hoped they would prove me wrong and I would be the first one here shouting yay or the ones I posted that this is a down year for the Steelers, big deal, they happen. It's not the end of the world. Where are those posts? I wasn't on this board after the Steelers lost to Cincy. I didn't expect them to lose, I was certain they would win. They didn't. Not their year. I accepted that. Who the hell is celebrating? I'd rather them sit at home for the POs than play the way they played this season. And I'll say what I say any time they miss the playoffs "oh well, next year". Oooo, look out hell, here I come..,a Steelers fan who DARE to not think like some others. Get over yourself.

steeltheone
12-26-2012, 06:32 AM
This was a really good team that was torpedoed by absolutely way too many injuries. The players never got to stay on the field together enough to gel. Losing Ike is pretty much what sealed the deal. And now Heath is out with a torn ACL/MCL (read that somewhere). to make it even worse. Ben O'Donnell kept throwing the out routes that got intercepted at the worst possible times. Do those of you who hate O'Donnell now hate Ben just as bad because he railroaded us just as bad? I will still watch the last game despite the mess the last 6 weeks have been because the Steelers are my team and I never get tired of watching them. I don't hate the "I told you so, sky is falling" crowd. But the Steelers are what they are. Don't expect it to change much next year. Ben is what he is and that won't change no matter who the OC is.

You cannot compare throwing away a SuperBowl against a heavily favored rival to what happened the past few Sundays in a down year. Bad comparison.

Justp94
12-26-2012, 09:52 PM

I had hope for the Steelers to make the playoffs and turn things around, I never lost hope. When a teams fans turn on their team and start hating on their own team is what I call a disgrace and what I called FAKE FANS. These fans don't deserve to be called Steelers Fans.

OX1947
12-26-2012, 10:18 PM
I had hope for the Steelers to make the playoffs and turn things around, I never lost hope. When a teams fans turn on their team and start hating on their own team is what I call a disgrace and what I called FAKE FANS. These fans don't deserve to be called Steelers Fans.

Please, spare us the "fake fans" horse crap. Steelers are what they are, has nothing to do with what message board fan says on some forum. Steelers didnt start losing leads and blowing double digit leads to teams like the (bleep) Raiders just this year. It has been a tread with this coach. He almost lost us the Jets game in the AFCG, SB 43 with his lack of a 60 min game plan. Tomlin is an ok coach, he isnt anything special. He is good at using big words in post game interviews that no one on the planet but Steven Hawing understands. That is about as unique as he gets.

As far as Big Ben, he is been as unclutch for the last 3 years as you can be. I see no adjustments in his game and even if he does make them, which it looked like he did the first half of the year, he went back to the same crap eventually and got himself injured and shit on the rest of the season. These are facts, not whether someone is a fake fan or real fan or a hermaphrodite fan.

uclkyle
12-27-2012, 10:31 AM
Seems like there are lots of people on this board who say ridiculous things and insult other fans, only to hide behind the fact that they don't have say those comments to someones face. It's just typical of the world we live in. Look at this guy "Justp94." Guy shoots his mouth off at people and doesn't have to pay for it. It's because he can hide behind a keyboard.