PDA

View Full Version : Keisel celebration a personal foul

Darthslayrr
12-23-2012, 09:29 PM
I was more upset at the personal foul for excessive celebration that Keisel got than their loss for some damn reason. I have seen him do that same move all year long and was shocked as hell when he was flagged. It had to be a knee jerk response to the school shooting even though he imitated a bow and arrow because he us a hunter, not a shotgun.

BmoreStyles
12-23-2012, 10:06 PM
I don't think it had anything to do with anything you said, it was that he "went to the ground" by taking a knee in his pose. I'd be livid if that was called on my team. Pure bullshit.

FrancoLambert
12-23-2012, 10:27 PM
Bullshit call.

WVABE
12-24-2012, 06:15 AM
I agree it was a bullshit call, but once again celebrating has made another steeler look like an idiot.

Do it after a WIN.

steelfury02
12-24-2012, 06:17 AM
yea - bullshit call, but - don't they know by now that the officials are going to look for every reason to call them on something, because they are Steelers? They should know that they are more scrutinized than most teams.

TRH
12-24-2012, 08:54 AM
i don't like the call either - you see nearly the same exact celebration done by dozens and dozens of players throughout the NFL after a sack.
Clay Mathews anyone??

torpedoshell31
12-24-2012, 10:21 AM
Keisel has done this all year long, and the officials wait to call it after a 3rd down stop in a playoff elimanation game?

SteelCityMom
12-24-2012, 10:31 AM
I don't think it had anything to do with anything you said, it was that he "went to the ground" by taking a knee in his pose. I'd be livid if that was called on my team. Pure bullshit.

It's not that the rule in and of itself doesn't make sense, but it's been a rule that's been in place since 2006...and Keisel has done this after every sack he makes, for years now, and has never been flagged. I'd be fine with it if there were precedence for it.

I also guarantee you'll never see Tebow called for a penalty when he kneels down and prays after a TD.

I agree with the OP though, somehow this penalty really pissed me off a lot. Probably because I remember hating these same refs from a different game (can't recall which one offhand, but I remember them).

Twentyvalve
12-24-2012, 10:31 AM
There are many examples of this. I think it was last year Wallace, Brown, or one of those guys jumped on the edge of the first row seats to pose. Excessive celebration was called. Later that day, I saw a Packer do it, I can't remember who it was. No call. Nothing. How about Cruz's 15 second dance? Or backflips? Never called.

Yesterday after a TD Torry Smith jumped up, dunked the ball over the uprights, and hung on the post. They called a "technical." What? That is excessive celebration. Seems dumb.

I am not saying that the refs are against the Steelers. I just want to point out the inconsistency in the application of the rule. It is unethical to apply the rule so haphazardly when things like divisional titles and playoff spots are on the line.

The saying is "Football is a game of inches." I disagree. It is a game of inconsistent and uneven application of confusing rules. And stupidity.

My head will not itch for a long, long time. I have been scratching it all season over the officiating and application of supposed rules.

I was more upset at the personal foul for excessive celebration that Keisel got than their loss for some damn reason. I have seen him do that same move all year long and was shocked as hell when he was flagged. It had to be a knee jerk response to the school shooting even though he imitated a bow and arrow because he us a hunter, not a shotgun.

Atlanta Dan
12-24-2012, 10:32 AM
I think Keisel got caught up in a typically idiotic PR reaction by the league office to the Newtown shootings

Keisel celebrated the sack in his usual manner -- bending to one knee and pretending to shoot a bow and arrow. "They said I can't go to my knees and I can't shoot a weapon,"

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/gerry-dulacs-two-minute-drill-steelers-vs-bengals-667604/

I would be interested to find out if the refs have been sent a memo to flag any player conduct that involved guns in particular or a weapon in general

Eztarget
12-24-2012, 11:08 AM
If he can't do that then they need to eliminate ALL stupid celebrations.

MACH1
12-24-2012, 11:21 AM
It's not called the No Fun League for nothing.

FacemeIke
12-24-2012, 02:02 PM
I honestly can not watch the NFL anymore unless its a Steelers game. I love the Steelers too much to give up on the NFL completely, but I can't watch a game between any other two teams. Referees control the outcome of every game with calls like excessive celebration. They call wayyyyy too many pass interference, you cant hit anyone anymore without it being a flag. Its just not the same game. I feel like referees play too big of a part in the game. I don't like the product that Goodell has created, so I dont watch it unless its the Steelers.

Twentyvalve
12-24-2012, 04:04 PM
Players, coaches, and fans collectively hold their breaths after every play now. It is ridiculous. All of North America stops breathing for a second hundreds of times every Sunday.

What makes it worse is it is Penalty by Committee. The refs always seem to have to talk about the foul. And I can never remember any flag being thrown before where the refs meet and ultimately say there was not foul committed. That happens in every game now.

It used to be penalties were straightforward and obvious. Now they are muddled by subjectivity, spontaneous committee, confusing rules, uneven application, and constant change. Nor have I ever heard so many mis-explanations by the refs. Hell, even they are confused. It is worse than the US tax code.

I honestly can not watch the NFL anymore unless its a Steelers game. I love the Steelers too much to give up on the NFL completely, but I can't watch a game between any other two teams. Referees control the outcome of every game with calls like excessive celebration. They call wayyyyy too many pass interference, you cant hit anyone anymore without it being a flag. Its just not the same game. I feel like referees play too big of a part in the game. I don't like the product that Goodell has created, so I dont watch it unless its the Steelers.

SteelBobbleHead
12-24-2012, 05:50 PM

My sentiments exactly. I will only be watching one more NFL game this season.

STEELMANIAK
12-24-2012, 08:08 PM
Am I the only one getting sick and tired of the stupid celebrations after we make a play? Brett Keisel is not the only one guilty of this. Seriously these guys keep losing games and think its okay to celebrate after one single play? Get your ass up and do it again without the bullshit, taunting, dancing.

I have an idea, lets try and win the game and after we can dance and celebrate all we want.

VaDave
12-25-2012, 07:58 AM
I think Keisel got caught up in a typically idiotic PR reaction by the league office to the Newtown shootings

Keisel celebrated the sack in his usual manner -- bending to one knee and pretending to shoot a bow and arrow. "They said I can't go to my knees and I can't shoot a weapon,"

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/gerry-dulacs-two-minute-drill-steelers-vs-bengals-667604/

I would be interested to find out if the refs have been sent a memo to flag any player conduct that involved guns in particular or a weapon in general

If there was a memo, it should have been passed down to the teams, and distributed to all the players. Personally, I doubt there was a memo, and that this was just another case of PC run amuck.

As for the celebrations, in general: Quote, Charles Heny Noll," Act like you've done it before".

This business of looking like you just won the Spanish lottery after making a routine play is more than a bit cliche. It has all the pizzaz of going to a rock concert and the singer going "OOO YEAH"......

mikegrimey
12-25-2012, 10:03 AM
I almost forgot about the dumb penalty because it happened so early in the game, it was a stain on what was otherwise a very entertaining game.

The official reasoning for it was ludicrous too "going to his knee" was what the official said, I never knew that was considered inappropriate for a celebration before.

I think people may be right that he got caught up in a bit of PC nonsense, similar to when everybody had a spasm over Stevie Johnson mocking Plaxico Burress' self-inflicted injury.

As for celebrating after every play, I agree with a lot of people that it has become almost a comical thing in the league. People so frequently do a dance or flail around in jubilation after even a 1st down stop/catch/run that it's almost lost all meaning. I noticed no less than 3 times this Sunday that a Steelers or Bengal CB posed in celebration after breaking up a pass on 1st down. It's ridiculous, can't even be parodied properly, when I played touch football with the guys at work and mockingly did a "Frankenstein on hydrolics" walk after making a first down catch, I was an NFL player do the same thing like a month later... I couldn't believe it, I'd done the celebration as a joke, as a.. there's no way somebody would do something this stupid after making a silly play joke, but then it happened.

uclkyle
12-25-2012, 03:42 PM
I agree it was a bullshit call, but once again celebrating has made another steeler look like an idiot.

Do it after a WIN.

I couldn't agree more. It actually was the right call, if you read the rule book. But that aside, BK looked like an idiot for putting the team in that position.

austinfrench76
12-25-2012, 07:06 PM
This was nuts. Dudes been doing that celebration for years!

WVABE
12-25-2012, 07:14 PM
Only person I ever enjoyed doing a celebration was Merton Hanks,
how the hell did he do that with his neck.