PDA

View Full Version : Why no Plax?

ZoneBlitzer
12-23-2012, 10:32 PM
Another coaching blunder...

Ben has been clamoring for a receiver like Plex ever since he left. Instead of having midgets who can't get separation, how about putting in a tall target that Ben can hit. I think having him in there would've been an emotional boost for Ben. But no, instead of changing the formula to find a way to win, Tomlin sticks to the status quo which resulted 5 losses down the stretch.

Cyphon
12-23-2012, 11:30 PM
I made a thread going into the Cincy game saying Plax was a key to us winning. He was inactive and well....You see the results. I won't say that was the main cause but it certainly didn't help.

I think part of the cause had to do with adding depth at CB or maybe somewhere else. That said, Mendenhall should have been inactive to make room for that sport and Plax should have dressed. So yes, just 1 more coaching blunder on top of many others.

ZoneBlitzer
12-24-2012, 12:01 AM
I made a thread going into the Cincy game saying Plax was a key to us winning. He was inactive and well....You see the results. I won't say that was the main cause but it certainly didn't help.

I think part of the cause had to do with adding depth at CB or maybe somewhere else. That said, Mendenhall should have been inactive to make room for that sport and Plax should have dressed. So yes, just 1 more coaching blunder on top of many others.

The Steelers dressed FIVE RBs. Plax should've taken one of those spots. As for Mendy, if you're going to dress him, play him. He's your best RB. He gained 50 yards on 11 carries the most out of any RB.

Cyphon
12-24-2012, 12:05 AM
The Steelers dressed FIVE RBs. Plax should've taken one of those spots. As for Mendy, if you're going to dress him, play him. He's your best RB. He gained 50 yards on 11 carries the most out of any RB.

I agree about him taking 1 of those spots. But it should have been Mendy's. Our best back is Redman btw.

ZoneBlitzer
12-24-2012, 12:09 AM
I agree about him taking 1 of those spots. But it should have been Mendy's. Our best back is Redman btw.

Yeah but Mendy was running better.

Cyphon
12-24-2012, 12:23 AM
Yeah but Mendy was running better.

Than Dwyer? Yeah. I said Redman though. You can't really compare the 2 because Redman had 3 carries and 2 of them were in predictable situations. Now if you want to compare situational.....Redman was 2/2 in short yardage converting on third and 4th down. Mendenhall got stuffed on a 3rd and 2. So (where comparable this game) Redman ran better.

ZoneBlitzer
12-24-2012, 12:28 AM
Than Dwyer? Yeah. I said Redman though. You can't really compare the 2 because Redman had 3 carries and 2 of them were in predictable situations. Now if you want to compare situational.....Redman was 2/2 in short yardage converting on third and 4th down. Mendenhall got stuffed on a 3rd and 2. So (where comparable this game) Redman ran better.

Well just on the day I thought he had the bit btw the teeth.

And, oh. Why no Plax?

defence
12-24-2012, 08:02 AM

Redman!! Really?? Look you guys can call it however you feel like calling it but let's not be ridiculous with the redman dwyer crap. Those 2 would have a hard time just making any other nfl roster

TRH
12-24-2012, 08:13 AM
..and we'll never re-sign him after the season. So that experiment was basically a waste of time.

Steel Peon
12-24-2012, 08:16 AM
I will agree......we should've benched Wallace and inserted Plax......at least he might tackle.

Cyphon
12-24-2012, 08:27 AM
Redman!! Really??

Absolutely. The guy consistently produces as the feature back. Numbers don't lie. You guys can keep ignoring the facts but that seems to be what the coaches did and we didn't even make the playoffs.

CaliStillersFan
12-24-2012, 08:27 AM
I hope all 3 RB's are gone next year. Mende is the best RB on the roster but he's a head case. Redman and Dywer are not starters and never will be. Neither of those guys can get outside, the only thing they are good at is running up the middle in short yardage. When is the last time you've seen a team use RBBC and make a successful run in the playoffs? Teams use RBBC because none of their RB's are good enough to get the majority of carries. BYE BYE thanks for playing, hope all 3 are gone next season.

Cyphon
12-24-2012, 08:31 AM
Neither of those guys can get outside, the only thing they are good at is running up the middle in short yardage.

Oh, you didn't see the last 2 games?

Just so you are better informed.....

Dwyer had a big run to the outside vs Cinci (forgot the exact yard amount) and Redman had a 22 yard run vs the Cowboys that he bounced outside. Point is, they can get outside. Haley just typically doesn't call runs to the outside.

defence
12-24-2012, 09:24 AM
Absolutely. The guy consistently produces as the feature back. Numbers don't lie. You guys can keep ignoring the facts but that seems to be what the coaches did and we didn't even make the playoffs.

Does he consistently produce?? This guy stinks!! You want numbers for your feature back? Here you go. Dallas 9 att 22 yards. San Diego 32 yards.39 yards yesterday. I can keep going. People; take off the glasses that blur the vision. This is the most troubling position on the team. All I know is Mendy is all we have there in terms of talent and everyone wants him gone. Just like Ben; throws a pick and heck let's bring in Sanchez or Tebow. The question the op asked about Plax. Well it doesn't take much to figure out that these coaches don't have a clue. You dress 5 rbs?? Clueless. According to Haleys philosophy; why would you need Plax for anyway when it's RUN RUN SACK?? Sorry Cyphon; not trying to sound off towards you personally. It is apparent to me that this coaching staff wouldn't know what to do with an all star roster

Cyphon
12-24-2012, 02:42 PM
Does he consistently produce??

Yes. I have provided the stats in multiple threads. But you may have missed them so I will post them here for you.

19 carries for 92 yards with a 4.8 avg and a long of 22.
17 carries for 121 yards with a 7.1 avg and a long of 32 (playoff game).
26 carries for 146 yards with a 5.6 avg and a long of 28.

So he is 3 for 3 with good games as a "feature" back. Including being able to get a splash play in each. He is our best blocking black, can catch out of the backfield and is a menace in short yardage situations which also makes him a menace at the goalline. He wears down defenses and never goes down on the first tackle. I am not sure I remember a back with more fight than this guy has. And looking at the numbers above his best game was a playoff game, so we know he can do it on the big stage.

Some may wonder why I say 17 carries. Earlier in the season some analyst pointed out how when Ray Rice had 17 or more carries the Ravens won and when less they lost. So I looked at one of the best backs in the league and one from our division which is who we have to compete with most to come up with that number. Keeping that in mind, we won 2 of the 3 games when Redman had 17 or more carries as well. And lets be honest, the one loss was on the defense in OT vs the Broncos.

If you want more reason to consider 17 or more carries go look at the league leading backs. The top 8 runners in the league average 17 or more carries per game.

So there is very clear evidence here that when Redman is given the same amount of carries as the best runners in the league he produces at a level they do. Can he do it consistently? We don't know because he hasn't been given the chance.

All I know is Mendy is all we have there in terms of talent and everyone wants him gone.

Lol. Mendy is a bum. He has a great physical skillset he rarely puts to use. He doesn't run hard and fumbles in big games.

Corey120120
12-24-2012, 08:08 PM
Wasn't this a thread about Plax...

steeltheone
12-24-2012, 09:03 PM
Wasn't this a thread about Plax...

To even have a thread about Plax, tells the story of this season!

Twentyvalve
12-24-2012, 09:07 PM
I see what you did there. Sneaky!

I will agree......we should've benched Wallace and inserted Plax......at least he might tackle.