PDA

View Full Version : So Harrison is allowed to criticize coaches?

GoFor7
12-24-2012, 02:10 PM
Everyone crucified Ben for the comments after the Dallas game, but here's what Harrison said:

James Harrison spread the blame among all.

"We have to do a better job as players playing the game, individually and collectively. We have to do a better job as coaches, coaching the game, and putting our players in positions to make plays.

"We have to do a better job as players of playing, and a better job as coaches of coaching."

http://sulia.com/channel/cincinnati-bengals-vs-pittsburgh-steelers/f/a1da2200-c424-4d5f-bdcc-efdd45170253/?source=twitter

I expect several threads about how Harrison has an ego now.

harrison'samonster
12-24-2012, 02:13 PM
he's allowed to say anything he wants. Seriously, would you want to be the coach to tell him to shut up?

Seriously though, I'm surprised to have not heard anything about this either. Maybe it's because he's on his way out, who knows?

TRH
12-24-2012, 02:14 PM
yeah, i saw that earlier today and was like "uh-oh........Harrison's stirring the pot again" lol

Hard to figure who that is directed at. Tomlin or LeBeau. Or both. But i like the comment. Someone's showing some passion. And he's right : we have done a good job of playing OR coaching.

GoFor7
12-24-2012, 02:14 PM
he's allowed to say anything he wants. Seriously, would you want to be the coach to tell him to shut up?

Seriously though, I'm surprised to have not heard anything about this either. Maybe it's because he's on his way out, who knows?

Because in Pittsburgh, it's only bad when the star QB does it. Anyone else and it's swept under the rug. Which is odd, because his comments can be taken as a shot at LeBeau.

TRH
12-24-2012, 02:21 PM
yeah - it just gives you an example of the unbelievable scrutiny put in every single word Ben utters. If he said this (or anything that ANYone on this team has said about.....well....anything) - oh my - the s**t would be hitting the fan today all over the city and on all the sports analysis shows as well.

Darkstorm05
12-24-2012, 02:25 PM
Because in Pittsburgh, it's only bad when the star QB does it. Anyone else and it's swept under the rug. Which is odd, because his comments can be taken as a shot at LeBeau.

Given his price tag, he's likely to be gone next year. Problem solved.

Fire Arians
12-24-2012, 02:39 PM
well what he says is true, they need to do a better job all around

teams with good players + good coaching do not go 8-8

steelerchad
12-24-2012, 02:40 PM
he either restructures or he's gone or I if we keep him at his current price, I don't know who this front office is anymore. The Steelers of old had no time or money for guys who are incapable of living up to their contract value.

steelerchad
12-24-2012, 02:41 PM
James Harrison?
Who is this guy you speak of?
I thought he was on IR or something. I don't remember hearing his name called this year.

lloydwoodson
12-24-2012, 02:58 PM

No one cares what the crazy OLB says because no one takes him seriously.

Harrison made threats about Goodell.

If anyone has a quote where Harrison calls out coaches specifically on his side of the ball I'd love to see them.

Harrison blames Ben and the offense for the Steelers woes. He always has.

lloydwoodson
12-24-2012, 02:59 PM
James Harrison?
Who is this guy you speak of?
I thought he was on IR or something. I don't remember hearing his name called this year.

James Harrison is the best OLB the Steelers have ever had.

Now you know.

desertsteel
12-24-2012, 03:03 PM
Everyone crucified Ben for the comments after the Dallas game, but here's what Harrison said:

http://sulia.com/channel/cincinnati-bengals-vs-pittsburgh-steelers/f/a1da2200-c424-4d5f-bdcc-efdd45170253/?source=twitter

What's wrong with his comments? He didn't make it personal to any one coach. When a team expected to make a super bowl run but is 7-8, there is blame to spread to players, coaches and front office.

GoFor7
12-24-2012, 03:11 PM
What's wrong with his comments? He didn't make it personal to any one coach. When a team expected to make a super bowl run but is 7-8, there is blame to spread to players, coaches and front office.

This is the response I figured this would get. If it's anybody besides the star QB, it's okay. Being a hard-hitting linebacker makes it even better!

LLoyd&Greene
12-24-2012, 03:18 PM
Because in Pittsburgh, it's only bad when the star QB does it. Anyone else and it's swept under the rug. Which is odd, because his comments can be taken as a shot at LeBeau.Why would you take that as a shot at Lebeau when everyone knows that the offense is the part of the team that underachieved? To me that was an obvious shot at Haley and the offense. The offense has guys capable of making plays all over the place, yet they just couldn't get it together for an extended amount of time. I know people seem to think that the offense was rolling until Ben got hurt, but that's only in comparison to how they looked while he was out and when he came back. The reality is that the offense underachieved all year. Even before Ben got hurt they had left a ton of points on the field. Harrison was getting at Haley here imo.

GoFor7
12-24-2012, 03:23 PM
Why would you take that as a shot at Lebeau when everyone knows that the offense is the part of the team that underachieved? To me that was an obvious shot at Haley and the offense. The offense has guys capable of making plays all over the place, yet they just couldn't get it together for an extended amount of time. I know people seem to think that the offense was rolling until Ben got hurt, but that's only in comparison to how they looked while he was out and when he came back. The reality is that the offense underachieved all year. Even before Ben got hurt they had left a ton of points on the field. Harrison was getting at Haley here imo.

Then why didn't he just say it's the offense's fault? He hasn't been shy about it in the past.

LLoyd&Greene
12-24-2012, 04:07 PM
Then why didn't he just say it's the offense's fault? He hasn't been shy about it in the past.I don't know, I'm not James Harrison. I assume that he didn't just come out and throw the offense under the bus because he's smarter than that. Harrison criticized everybody so that the media couldn't nitpick and use his comment to try and divide the team. If only Ben was as smart.

sexyllama
12-24-2012, 04:19 PM
I don't know, I'm not James Harrison. I assume that he didn't just come out and throw the offense under the bus because he's smarter than that. Harrison criticized everybody so that the media couldn't nitpick and use his comment to try and divide the team. If only Ben was as smart.

The Offense underachieved? Uh...

How many 4th Quarter leads did this Defense give up?
The Defense gave up 34, 26, and 34 to the worst teams/offenses in the league.

The Defense played well for a few games and then was the same roll of the dice as the offense. Just because they showed up 4-5 games does not make them awesome. Stats we got'em. Wins we don't. Look up that 4th Quarter leads. I remember them all.

BTW- Overall the Defense played way better but I'm pretty sure he meant the coaching was suspect all year. They were never in synch. 50% of the team didn't show up each game (whether it be offense of defense) and the OFF & DEF took 4 or 5 complete games off this year. (i.e. they didn't even get off the bus)

SteelBobbleHead
12-24-2012, 04:20 PM

I say the same thing to this that I said about the Ben comments.......seriously? You want to make a big deal about this?
He didn't say anything that wasn't true or anything that hasn't already come out of Tomlin's mouth. Tomlin has said this after numerous games. He didn;t single anyone out, he said everyone has to collectively do a better job. If I'm not mistaken it is the coach's job to put players in a position to make plays and the players job to make those plays. If you lose the game there was obviously areas that could have been improved.

Going to be a looooong offseason

LLoyd&Greene
12-24-2012, 04:54 PM
The Offense underachieved? Uh...

How many 4th Quarter leads did this Defense give up?
The Defense gave up 34, 26, and 34 to the worst teams/offenses in the league.

The Defense played well for a few games and then was the same roll of the dice as the offense. Just because they showed up 4-5 games does not make them awesome. Stats we got'em. Wins we don't. Look up that 4th Quarter leads. I remember them all.

BTW- Overall the Defense played way better but I'm pretty sure he meant the coaching was suspect all year. They were never in synch. 50% of the team didn't show up each game (whether it be offense of defense) and the OFF & DEF took 4 or 5 complete games off this year. (i.e. they didn't even get off the bus)Yes, the offense underachieved all year. You can't just list points that opposing teams scored as if the they're all on the defense. Not even counting turnovers, the offense set up a lot of points for the opposing team simply by being so inept. Turnovers, constant 3 and outs, squandering good field position, and giving the other team good field position all played apart in the scores that you just listed. Did you not watch the games in favor of just reading the stats? The defense played much better than the offense did this year. The defense overachieved while the offense underachieved.

gameface75
12-24-2012, 05:09 PM
well what he says is true, they need to do a better job all around

teams with good players + good coaching do not go 8-8

Good coaches and consistency in play on the field is what makes a champion ,I have yet to see any form of consistentcy from the players ,except a few ( Heath Miller) and the coaches.

OX1947
12-24-2012, 05:38 PM
What's right is right, doesn't matter who says it.

Ricco Suavez
12-24-2012, 06:46 PM
QB versus LB. QB takes the limelight, every time. James makes the greatest defensive play in a Superbowl and Ben one ups him with a 4th quarter drive to win game, thats just the way things are. Like I said I have no problem with Ben calling out Haley, he should of done it man-to-man and not in the paper. Now James on the other hand was not calling out LeBeau, why should he, this defense played better than I expected and nearly everyone else. I feel he aimed his comment more at Haley and Tomlin. I am on record in these posts somewhere of saying that going into this year I felt the offense would struggle early and hopefully start to click around midseason. They did just that and when at 6-3 I felt they were on their way to a playoff berth and deep into the playoffs. I also was more worried about our defense going into this season, but with emergence of Lewis and improved DB play I was more than happy with our defense. I know they did not produce TOs like we would of liked, but I think they did great. Offense was out of sync since Ben went down and that even includes CBs win at Baltimore. Lucky to win even one of three Ben was out, Defense played outstanding those games. Do not see any real coaching changes but some real coaching attitudes need to be changed.

sexyllama
12-24-2012, 07:08 PM
Yes, the offense underachieved all year. You can't just list points that opposing teams scored as if the they're all on the defense. Not even counting turnovers, the offense set up a lot of points for the opposing team simply by being so inept. Turnovers, constant 3 and outs, squandering good field position, and giving the other team good field position all played apart in the scores that you just listed. Did you not watch the games in favor of just reading the stats? The defense played much better than the offense did this year. The defense overachieved while the offense underachieved.

Did you not understand a word that was said? Just reading stats? Jesus, read what was said. The Defense had great stats... but that is exactly what I was saying... Read much?

They both underachieved... they are 7-8. As was stated the DEFENSE overall played much better but they played just as bad at critical moments. Harrison said it correctly, both units were consistently inconsistent. Defensive did more but this is on the coaches... this team just didn't show up most of the time.

LLoyd&Greene
12-24-2012, 07:27 PM
Did you not understand a word that was said? Just reading stats? Jesus, read what was said. The Defense had great stats... but that is exactly what I was saying... Read much?

They both underachieved... they are 7-8. As was stated the DEFENSE overall played much better but they played just as bad at critical moments. Harrison said it correctly, both units were consistently inconsistent. Defensive did more but this is on the coaches... this team just didn't show up most of the time.You're wrong. Do you understand what that means? I read what you said clearly, it doesn't make sense. The defense didn't underachieve this year. With the injuries that they sustained, they overachieved to be as good as they have been this year. The defense showed up and played well for more than 4-5 games. I'm not saying that they've played perfectly, but they've played well enough for this team to have won the division. Yesterday's game was a critical moment. It was the most critical game of the season and what happened? You can come up here and say that they played just as bad as the offense did in critical moments but it's not true.

sexyllama
12-24-2012, 08:23 PM
You're wrong. Do you understand what that means? I read what you said clearly, it doesn't make sense. The defense didn't underachieve this year. With the injuries that they sustained, they overachieved to be as good as they have been this year. The defense showed up and played well for more than 4-5 games. I'm not saying that they've played perfectly, but they've played well enough for this team to have won the division. Yesterday's game was a critical moment. It was the most critical game of the season and what happened? You can come up here and say that they played just as bad as the offense did in critical moments but it's not true.

Yeah, I'm wrong:

Manning- 1st game after a year off: 31 points.
Incredible Raiders- 34 points
1st Team to give KC a lead? Steelers
San Diego- 34 points
Super Titans- 26 points (i think GB beat them 55-7?)

We've lost 5 games now when we've had the LEAD in the FOURTH QUARTER.

Shh....

This is a bad team. Defense had injuries? Yeah, the offense was a pillar of constitution...

Your wrong on most accounts but I'll agree again that the DEFENSE was the far better unit whatever that gets us : )

Stillers2012
12-24-2012, 10:15 PM
This quote is being blown out of proportion. It's just Harrisonm saying "We all need to step it up." Isn't this better than point fingers at individuals? Nothing more than playerspeak. Vanilla comments that someone twists around.

sexyllama
12-24-2012, 10:18 PM
This quote is being blown out of proportion. It's just Harrisonm saying "We all need to step it up." Isn't this better than point fingers at individuals? Nothing more than playerspeak. Vanilla comments that someone twists around.

Totally agree. The entire team needs to step it up but the coaches and talent evaluators need to do more. Way too many WTF moments...

Twentyvalve
12-24-2012, 10:19 PM
And since when don't coaches share blame for a loss? Especially after 3 in a row? Harrison just pointed to the elephant in the Steeler's locker room. No player ever blames coaches, but yet we know, the players know, and the fans know they are responsible as well. Hell, Tomlin even said that the last three weeks in a row - yes?

They are to blame.

Rowland2110
12-25-2012, 12:21 AM
I see nothing wrong with what he said suspecting a 7-9 season incoming. The truth is the truth and thats all it is.
We are not beating even the browns without heath and there is no reason to risk more injury playing for pride.

sloppyjoe
12-25-2012, 12:03 PM
does anyone besides mean see that the players arent happy with the coaching staff and there are internal problems?
ben says shit, harrison says shit and keisel says shit. 3 veteran players that know what it takes to win. they see its not happening and publicly voice their disapproval. if they are willing to go public, i have a feeling it is alot worse inside the lockeroom.

El-Gonzo Jackson
12-25-2012, 01:54 PM

Its not just Pittsburgh...........when a 3rd string QB for the Jets doesnt want to play the Wildcat...it makes headlines too.

When a guy that says he wouldnt piss on the commissioner if he was on fire says something.........its not always taken as seriously, except by the QB's fan club.

DoctorCAD
12-26-2012, 07:05 AM
Ive got no problems with JH calling the coaches out.
Ive got no problems with BR calling out the coaches.
Ive got no problems with the peanut vendors calling out the coaches.

THEY STUNK...HORRIBLY.

They deserve to be called out.

Rowland2110
12-26-2012, 08:09 AM
Ive got no problems with JH calling the coaches out.
Ive got no problems with BR calling out the coaches.
Ive got no problems with the peanut vendors calling out the coaches.

THEY STUNK...HORRIBLY.

They deserve to be called out.

Truth.

austinfrench76
12-26-2012, 03:48 PM
Give 'em hell Jimmie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gnutella
12-26-2012, 04:13 PM
Not even counting turnovers, the offense set up a lot of points for the opposing team simply by being so inept.

If not for the defense, Ben Roethlisberger would have been the NFL's Offensive Player of the Week for his performance against the Raiders. And I guess eight minutes was too much time to leave on the clock for the defense to protect a seven-point lead against the Titans. And for as lousy as the offense was against the Chargers, they're not the ones who allowed a 17-play, 10-minute drive for a TD to put the game away in the third quarter. The defense had a 15-minute breather at halftime and still failed when a stop would have kept the game alive.

jtbsteeler
12-26-2012, 05:35 PM
he either restructures or he's gone or I if we keep him at his current price, I don't know who this front office is anymore. The Steelers of old had no time or money for guys who are incapable of living up to their contract value.

The salary cap issues will remind you very soon. This team is about to get "ginsued".

Im excited about drafting in the mid-teens for a change. We draft game changers whenever we draft 11-21.

Steel Peon
12-26-2012, 05:50 PM
Harrison is a God amongst football players, and if he speaks, then everyone should listen. My guess is that he speaks for the entire defense, who certainly did their job this year, and is referring to our abortion of a ST, and to all of our dipshits on offense.

rpbncb
12-26-2012, 06:21 PM
i don't see anything wrong with what he said. i believe it's probably a shot at Dumb-Lin for not taking control of this team and letting his assistants screw up over and over again with their play calling, both offense and defense. Mr. Dumb-Lin, in case you didn't know, it's the HC's job to oversee plays being called and making adjustments during games and not just stand on the sidelines looking like a deer in the headlights. Good coaches override bad play calls when need be. DUH !!!!