PDA

View Full Version : 2013 Receiving Corp

xbroughneck
12-24-2012, 05:15 PM
So...we know...

Antonio Brown is back.
Sanders is probably back.
Cotchery...back.

Who are the other two receivers the Steelers will dress?

Mike Wallace is no Santonio Holmes. He's not even a young Hines Ward. He's a decent #2 speed receiver. Antonio Brown is a decent #2 slot receiver.

What do the Steelers do about the lack of a true #1 receiving threat on the roster?

Cyphon
12-24-2012, 05:26 PM
I have zero problem with our receivers. My only complaint is that I would have liked to see Burress dress at the end of the season. We could definitely use some height at the position.

truesteelerfan
12-24-2012, 05:28 PM
I think I'd prefer to let Wallace walk due to his attitude - resign Burress for one more year (will cost much less than the tag on Wallace) and draft. Our drafts and scouts have done good at WR lately. Could get something good in rounds 3-5 for the future of the position. (1 pick, not 3)

SteelBobbleHead
12-24-2012, 05:30 PM
I have no problem with the receivers on this team either. I just don't think the offense we ran utilizes their strengths. Wallace has never been known as a precise route runner. Brown and Sanders are both quick, precise route runners. 10 yard patterns wasted their potential.

WVABE
12-24-2012, 05:53 PM
The player with the best hands needs to be #1 and that is Cotchery.

OX1947
12-24-2012, 06:05 PM
Maybe we can get lucky and have one of those rare trades like Portis for Champ Bailey with Wallace and Fitzgerald. Sign and trade type deal.

xbroughneck
12-24-2012, 06:13 PM
I have no problem with the receivers on this team either. I just don't think the offense we ran utilizes their strengths. Wallace has never been known as a precise route runner. Brown and Sanders are both quick, precise route runners. 10 yard patterns wasted their potential.

You forgot an adjective to describe the Steelers receivers. UNDERSIZED.

But you're right about them not being used correctly. Why would Haley call an outside run play where the receivers are expected to sustain a block? STUPID. Now that Hines is gone the receiving corp (other than what I saw Cotchery do) doesn't run block well anymore.

cowherpower
12-25-2012, 08:40 AM
I think Sanders having injuries slowed his development but he seems like a legit receiver. Brown is a legit starter and Cotchery is a chains mover. No reason to go crazy and spend big on a FA but I would draft one in later rounds to develop. Let's not forget Gilreath who I really feel can be in 4 and 5 wide sets or spell the above three in some packages. He seems to have that 'it' factor that Brown exhibited before he had his coming out party. Yeah, WR is probably least of my concerns.

steeltheone
12-25-2012, 09:44 AM
Sanders has been a huge disappointment. His annual 350 yards receiving can be replaced by Veterans minimum type players.

Brown owes this team after his less than stellar ( after signing a 42 million plus contract ) season. Lets hope he picks it up next year.

desertsteel
12-25-2012, 09:47 AM
Wallace's year was just as good as Brown's. I'm for keeping Wallace. Wallace has the potential to be a great receiver.

harrison'samonster
12-25-2012, 09:54 AM
I think Brown and Wallace both could get better. I agree that Brown had a dissappointing season, Wallace needs to improve his game. Cotchery needs to see more playing time in my opinion.

sloppyjoe
12-25-2012, 11:43 AM
I think Brown and Wallace both could get better. I agree that Brown had a dissappointing season, Wallace needs to improve his game. Cotchery needs to see more playing time in my opinion.

the only thing wallace wants to improve is the size of his paychecks. i cant wait for him to leave.

austinfrench76
12-25-2012, 06:31 PM
Brown is their #1, Sanders will be there #2 and Cotchery will enter TC as #3. But they will need to find a 4. Haley's offense doesn't call for 5 WRs so they only need yo account for injuries like they did this year. Signed Burress who could be signed to a vet min contract of 2 yrs. I would like to see them sign a solid TE in free agency so that they can run Haley's offense correctly.

Ricco Suavez
12-25-2012, 06:40 PM
IMO I would like another quality TE, would love to see some two TE sets. Could possibly run out of them and/or set up mismatches with LBers. Of course finding one is the problem.

Millers the sh!t
12-25-2012, 07:15 PM
I'd like to drop 17 and pick up a tall physical receiver that had heart and fights for the ball. Wallace can't make catches unless he has 3 feet of seperation and the ball is delivered PERFECTLY into his cradled arms and torso. That happens once every ten attempts. I'd rather a slower receiver that snatches balls away from DB's and cones down with the catch. I think that type of receiver would compliment Ben ten times more than a speed ball ***** WR.

SteelBobbleHead
12-25-2012, 07:36 PM
You forgot an adjective to describe the Steelers receivers. UNDERSIZED.

But you're right about them not being used correctly. Why would Haley call an outside run play where the receivers are expected to sustain a block? STUPID. Now that Hines is gone the receiving corp (other than what I saw Cotchery do) doesn't run block well anymore.
Excellent point. I've been like a broken record repeating this ( :blah: ) and I know I did comment on their size in one of these threads. IMO their lack of size led to a lot of their fumbles. Rather than getting these guys deeper where they are going against defenders closer to their size the constant 10 yard patterns had them taking a beating by LBers. I wonder why the signed a guy like Burress and then never used him, not even in the red zone on games he actually dressed in.

FrancoLambert
12-25-2012, 11:14 PM
I think the Steelers are going to give Plax a legitimate shot next year to be a key player at the WR position.
Give him a full offseason of training and a full camp to compete with the younger guys.
His size would be a nice addition, something we don't have.