PDA

View Full Version : Who to draft in 2013?

Fire Arians
12-24-2012, 06:34 PM
If the season ended today, we'd have the #14 pick, who would you guys select?

Hawaii 5-0
12-24-2012, 08:51 PM
Rd1) Manti Te'o ILB Notre Dame

Rd2) Eric Reid S LSU

Rd3) Montee Ball RB Wisconsin

hey, I can dream can't I? :tt02:

pete74
12-24-2012, 09:03 PM
Te'o will be gone so the best Olb there

SteelersCanada
12-24-2012, 09:17 PM
Dion Jordan

teegre
12-24-2012, 11:35 PM
If Pittsburgh remains at 14, here are my thoughts (although, I think they win on Aubday, and in turn, will pick 17ish).

STAR LOTULELEI
If Star Lotulelei (NT, Utah) drops to 14, he is a monster. He "should" go top 5... but, the glamour positions always go higher; so, he "could" drop.

MATT ELAM
DION JORDAN
I really love Matt Elam. I've mocked him to the Steelers for six months... but, not necessarily at 14. (I was originally thinking Elam at 32.) While Elam had a great season, I think a pass-rusher makes more sense at 14. There are lots of safeties this year (lots), and even though I really like Elam, the value pick would be Dion Jordan (OLB, Oregon).

LINEMEN
Three other names:
NT John Jenkins (Georgia)
NT Jesse Williams (Alabama)
LT/LG Barrett Jones

I really like Jones, and I had replaced him in my list of most coveted player (by Elam). BUT, since The Colon can not stay healthy, since Foster is average, and since Jones CAN play both LG & LT, Jones is my dark horse once again.

SUMMATION
R1:
Star Lotulelei, NT, Utah
Dion Jordan, OLB, Oregon
John Jenkins, NT, Georgia
Jesse Williams, NT, Alabama
Barret Jones. LG, Alabama
Matt Elam, S, Florida;

R2:
TJ McDonald, S, USC
Robert Lester, S, Alabama
Eric Reid, S, LSU
Alex Van Noy, LB, BYU

R3:
Shayne Skov, LB, Stanford

R4:
Nico Johnson, LB, Alabama
Leon McFadden, CB, SDSU

PhantomJB93
12-25-2012, 12:02 AM
Here's who I like (separated by round). For the record I'm really not a believer that we need to take an OLB early on, but where we're drafting it's highly likely one will be the BPA and we'll take him anyway:

Manti Te'o (trade third and fifth to move up from 14 and pick at 7 or 8)
Dion Jordan (If we feel he can play OLB with his size)
Bjoern Werner (If Dion Jordan can't play OLB)
Matt Elam (if he by some chance doesn't return to school)
Alec Ogletree

Eric Reid
David Amerson (convert to safety, he has Ed Reed-esque ballhawk skills but poor in man coverage as CB)
Eddie Lacy
Montee Ball

Bacarri Rambo
Andre Ellington
Joseph Randle
Michael Mauti

My dream draft would be the trade for Te'o with Montee Ball in the second and the best safety available in the fourth.

sexyllama
12-25-2012, 12:43 AM
The draft is all the more reason to bench Ben, Troy, and all the other hurt players. No need to get anyone injured which screws us for 2013.

Ben Out
Troy Out
Harrison Out

None of them should play. If Tomlin coaches the reserves like the starters it should be an easy loss.

14th pick is the best option right now.

TheVet
12-25-2012, 02:34 AM
My thoughts are that Mike Tomlin should call Bill Cowher and ask who he would draft.

ricardisimo
12-25-2012, 04:49 AM
My thoughts are that Mike Tomlin should call Bill Cowher and ask who he would draft.
Neither Tomlin nor Cowher ever made anything more than suggestions at draft time. The Cowher worship should at least be guided by reality.

I think we need to look at a QB fairly early in the draft. Batch cannot last another year, and Lefty is made of glass.

WVABE
12-25-2012, 06:38 AM
I think we need to look at a QB fairly early in the draft. Batch cannot last another year, and Lefty is made of glass.I'm kind of surprised that many don't mention a QB early on in the up coming draft. Personally I pick one no later than the 3rd round.
1. LB
2. DB
3. QB
4. WR
5. DT
6. TE
7. RB

BlockMonsta
12-25-2012, 07:38 AM
Would be cool to see a friend play for the b&g but Manti is gone before we pick

teegre
12-25-2012, 08:58 AM
I'm kind of surprised that many don't mention a QB early on in the up coming draft. Personally I pick one no later than the 3rd round.

LAST year was the year to get a back-up QB. This year's crop is average at best.

I still say that acquiring Ryan Lindley (from Arizona) makes a lot if sense. He was thrown to the wolves, behind a horrible O-line. He plays just like BB does (only not nearly as good). The offense would be very similar if Lindley had to start.

I'd also like to add:
Caleb Sturgis, K, Florida

Suisham has been great this year, but Sturgis can kick from beyond 40 yards.

NSMaster56
12-25-2012, 01:40 PM
Montee Ball RB Wisconsin

This.

Doesn't matter what round.

Need a running game.

WokeUpWithaWoodley
12-26-2012, 04:43 AM
Round 1
The Steelers lacked pass rushed ability this year rather it be injuries or age I think we need to upgrade there. Since we will be drafting in the top 18. If he is still there I would be extremely comfortable they drafted bjeorn Werner to play olb. Great pass rush ability. Has the size speed strength and technique.

Round 2
If mike Wallace is let go there will he a huge need for a wr. I would look for Quinton Patton wr L.A. tech. Watch some videos on this kid cause most of you probably never heard of him. Decent speed but great hands and good yac. Really like this kid.

Round 3
I think we need to address the ilb position badly. The reason why I wouldn't draft one in the first or second is cause I think Foote will be back for one more year and Spence hasn't had to chance to prove himself. But there still a need cause its a lot of ?there. Gerald hodge lb Penn state would be a good fit. He listed to be a olb some places but I view him more of a ilb he has the size for ilb not olb. He has had 100+ tackles the last 2 season and is reliable in pass coverage. Depth at ilb won't hurt the Steelers

Round 4
Safety should and I believe will be address in this draft. We needbto find replacements. So either a guy like duke Williams Nevada or shamarko from cuse.

Rest of draft bpa

Still a long way to go with the bowl games senior bowl combine and pro days. So my mind will change so will yours and most importantly draft stock to be able to predict where players will be drafted is impossible.

Ricco Suavez
12-26-2012, 07:49 AM
We will NOT take a NT early in this draft. That is unless he is someone they can convert to a DE or we are going to a 4-3. I am not even sure a LB will be taken early unless a sure nuff stud falls to us or we trade up. I foresee DB/S picks early, possible LB, RB, QB, TE, and DE/OL in that order.

AgentGold007
12-26-2012, 08:20 AM
I know it's highly unlikely that the Steelers draft another defensive lineman with their first round pick, I would love to see them draft Marcus Hunt, the defensive end from SMU. He's 6'8" 280lbs runs a 4.6 40, has a high motor, is all over the field, can play the run and pass. Reminds me of JJ Watt. Let's face it, Keisel is getting older and Hood has been less than stellar at best. If Te'o is not available when we pick, which I doubt because I think the Brownstains are going to snatch him up, then I think this guy is worth the pick. Other than that, I think safety or olb should be the first round choice.

dcsteel5804
12-26-2012, 09:14 AM
Personally, I'm high on Kevin Reddick, ILB, North Carolina. I live in NC and saw him play a lot. IMHO, I think we would be an upgrade over Foote. But the question is this. Even if we draft a guy, not this guy necessarily, but any guy, will he play?

Terminator
12-26-2012, 09:47 AM
There isn't 1 specific position that sticks out over anything else that makes me think they will draft that way. I imagine they will simply draft the best prospect available, regardless of position.

BLACK_AND_YELLOW
12-26-2012, 10:59 AM
Personally, I'm high on Kevin Reddick, ILB, North Carolina. I live in NC and saw him play a lot. IMHO, I think we would be an upgrade over Foote. But the question is this. Even if we draft a guy, not this guy necessarily, but any guy, will he play?

Only depends on how high we drafted them & if they know the defense, Spence was a 3rd round choice last year and he was looking to start over Foote until he injured his knee

desertsteel
12-26-2012, 11:12 AM
Te'o will be gone so the best Olb thereI say that we go bold and move up in the draft to take him.

desertsteel
12-26-2012, 11:15 AM
I say let's go PUNTER in round 1...

lipps83
12-26-2012, 11:31 AM
I say that we go bold and move up in the draft to take him.

That would cost us a lot though. I believe he is expected to go top 5.

If he slips down some, I say do it.

desertsteel
12-26-2012, 12:39 PM
Interesting that in Scout Inc.'s Top 32 there are no skill position players until #23 (Geno Smith) and only 5 in the top 32 (2 QBs, 2 WRs, 1 TE).

BLACK_AND_YELLOW
12-26-2012, 01:39 PM
Only thing I worry about Te'o is he might just be another ND player with alot hype and then becomes a bust....

jtbsteeler
12-26-2012, 01:42 PM

Before drafting Ike and right after, Cowher didn't have a clue when it came to drafting a CB.

I'm hard on Tomlin just like the next man, but no one can argue that Tomlin's secondaries as a whole haven't been better than Cowher's. Even Gay turned out good last season.

The edge goes to Tomlin for drafting the secodary, wr's and Olinemen.

steeltheone
12-26-2012, 02:08 PM
Before drafting Ike and right after, Cowher didn't have a clue when it came to drafting a CB.

I'm hard on Tomlin just like the next man, but no one can argue that Tomlin's secondaries as a whole haven't been better than Cowher's. Even Gay turned out good last season.

Ike Taylor, Troy Polamalu, Chris Hope, Darren Perry, Deshea Townsend....Under Cowher....Tomlin beats that?

Tomlin has drafted Wallace, Brown and Sanders....Plax, Hines and El....sorta can say for certain none of the 3 young punks will be hall of famers. Plax and El are not super stars but will probably be better than Brown and Sanders in the long run.

Tomlin has drafted 1 lineman...Pouncey , sorta the obvious number 1 pick....The rest have been flops or just ok.

madtowndrunkard
12-26-2012, 02:40 PM
Interesting that in Scout Inc.'s Top 32 there are no skill position players until #23 (Geno Smith) and only 5 in the top 32 (2 QBs, 2 WRs, 1 TE).

I have to think this is good for us... There will definitely be some good talent dropping to us because of this. I'm guessing Casey Hampton's replacement will finally be found. It sure would be nice if we could trade up to get Manti Te'o but it would also be nice to win the lottery today. Fact is neither will happen.

If I had to guess today: Sylvester Williams or John Jenkins.

As for those of you who think we won't take a DT in round 1... I say you are wrong. I also think this will be the draft that moves us to a 4-3 next year. That will be Tomlin's great idea to get us to the promise land.

teegre
12-26-2012, 03:01 PM
We will NOT take a NT early in this draft. That is unless he is someone they can convert to a DE or we are going to a 4-3. I am not even sure a LB will be taken early unless a sure nuff stud falls to us or we trade up. I foresee DB/S picks early, possible LB, RB, QB, TE, and DE/OL in that order.

1. If Star is there, then all bets are off.

2. SteelersCanada and I have been discussing NT. Him opposed; me for (to a degree: see bellow).

3. I was a huge fan of Ta'amu. I thought that he'd be a R1 pick, and then, he injured his shoulder, and his production dropped off. I thought that he was the steals of the entire draft. YES, he was brought back... but, he could spend a year in jail. So, I'm not sure that his future is certain... and NT is the KEY to the 3-4.

Fire Haley
12-26-2012, 03:07 PM
Who's the #1 TE in the draft?

teegre
12-26-2012, 03:49 PM
Who's the #1 TE in the draft?

Tyler Eiffert, Notre Dame

El-Gonzo Jackson
12-26-2012, 04:55 PM
Only thing I worry about Te'o is he might just be another ND player with alot hype and then becomes a bust....

Wont be a bust, but I dont get all the hype. He will likely be there at #14 and I think will last until around #20 or later.

cowherpower
12-27-2012, 09:32 PM

You lost me at Gay turned out good last year.

Let's not forget if not for injuries Chad Scott could have been really good. He had speed, athletic ability and coverage skills but injuries to knees prevented him from being close to what he could have been. I cant count even one db Tomlin has drafted that is any good. Not one. Have to say Tomlin did well with lucking out with Brown but Hines and Plax are better combo than Wallace Brown. Cowher's earlier lines were formidable. You can't say Tomlin has ever fielded a good line.

lipps83
12-27-2012, 09:56 PM
You lost me at Gay turned out good last year.

Let's not forget if not for injuries Chad Scott could have been really good. He had speed, athletic ability and coverage skills but injuries to knees prevented him from being close to what he could have been. I cant count even one db Tomlin has drafted that is any good. Not one. Have to say Tomlin did well with lucking out with Brown but Hines and Plax are better combo than Wallace Brown. Cowher's earlier lines were formidable. You can't say Tomlin has ever fielded a good line.

I agree on Chad Scott. I thought he turned out to have a pretty decent career after obliterating his knee.

Same for Deion Figures after he got shot in the knee.

They both showed some promise after their rookie years, and they both wound up with serious knee injuries just after.

For some reason everyone wants to criticize them and call them busts, completely forgetting what actually happened to their knees.

SteelersCanada
12-30-2012, 12:00 AM
I hope ARob gets some snaps tomorrow and if he plays up to his potential, we might not even need to go OLB in the first round. I can stress how important that is - if Adrian Robinson plays well tomorrow and makes enough noise, we can go S or ILB in the first round which would be absolutely huge. If he plays well tomorrow, it changes the entire dynamic of our draft this offseason. Let's hope he has a huge game and plays like he did in Latrobe and in the preseason.

Hawaii 5-0
12-30-2012, 08:34 PM
after today's victory it looks like we will be drafting 17th overall. the last time the Steelers selected 17th was in 1994 when we picked WR Charles Johnson from Colorado.

SteelersCanada
12-30-2012, 08:39 PM
Drafting at 17 we should have our selection of who to pick in terms of a legitimate pass rusher opposite Woodley. Dion Jordan, CJ Mosley, Alex Okafor and Sam Montgomery might still be on the board at this time. If we wanted, we could also go Alec Ogletree to fill in at ILB with Timmons if Colbert and Tomlin aren't sold on Spence.

kent
12-30-2012, 08:44 PM

I don't think he will be a bust but he has a lot of improving to do. There's some plays where he is a non factor and the o line just eats him up and washes him out of the play. Needs to improve his handfighting when he gets to the league.

austinfrench76
12-30-2012, 08:48 PM
We are definitely drafting 17th based on our win. I think we are set at CB if we resign Lewis. Ike, Lewis, Allen (our new turnover machine) and Brown are a pretty good quartet IMO. Unless someone falls to us I don't see us going that direction. Maybe the Safety from Texas to replace Troy in a couple of years but other than that I think we are good. I really think we need to grab a WR or a RB. Of course, you can make any argument you want for any position, even QB at this point as we need to groom one for the future but those 2 positions, to me, are weak. We are going to lose Wallace and probably, hopefully,Mendenhall. I think Spence sounded legit at ILB and Ogletree or Manti would be great but I think the other 2 positions are more pressing. Just my opinion.

austinfrench76
12-30-2012, 09:00 PM
Totally forgot to say TE! I love Heath but if we could get a 2nd "go-to" TE, I think our O would be damn near unstoppable. Dink and dunk baby!

Hawaii 5-0
12-30-2012, 09:03 PM
Totally forgot to say TE! I love Heath but if we could get a 2nd "go-to" TE, I think our O would be damn near unstoppable. Dink and dunk baby!

plus Heath will be coming back from a pretty major knee injury...

NSMaster56
12-30-2012, 09:03 PM
DL/LB
RB
DB
WR (Can't have enough and Steelers have been good picking mid-rounders---Limas Sweed excepted)
OL (Again, can't have enough)
Backup QB (unless a viable FA can be signed)

kent
12-30-2012, 10:58 PM
Is Clowney from SC in the draft this year? I'd be willing to give up a lot for him. Our D is great but we lack that stud edge rusher.

SteelersCanada
12-30-2012, 11:01 PM
Is Clowney from SC in the draft this year? I'd be willing to give up a lot for him. Our D is great but we lack that stud edge rusher.

Next years draft.

teegre
12-31-2012, 12:22 AM

Next year... I can't wait for him to come out next year.

SteelersCanada
12-31-2012, 12:48 AM
I'm starting to lean toward this being our draft ...

R1. Manti Te'o / Notre Dame - ILB

- I can't believe that there's a chance we're going to be able to snag Manti Te'o. Dear god, imagine Te'o and Timmons in the middle.

R2. Giovani Bernard / North Carolina - RB
R2. Jackson Jeffcoat / Texas - ROLB
R3. Da'Rick Rogers / Tennessee Tech - WR
R5. Bacarri Rambo / Georgia - FS
R7. Quinton Dial / Alabama - DE

I realize there's two second round picks as well. I can picture the Steelers giving up a 2014 3rd & 7th, 2013 4th and 6th to acquire a second round pick from someone like St. Louis who needs all the extra picks they can muster.

teegre
12-31-2012, 12:56 AM

- I can't believe that there's a chance we're going to be able to snag Manti Te'o. Dear god, imagine Te'o and Timmons in the middle.

I realize there's two second round picks as well. I can picture the Steelers giving up a 2014 3rd & 7th, 2013 4th and 6th to acquire a second round pick from someone like St. Louis who needs all the extra picks they can muster.

Te'o...??? Even if he got past DET at #5, I just don't see him making it to 17.

You mention trading... maybe the Steelers trade up with DET. But, it'll cost a LOT... like a R2 & R4 pick.

That said, in 2011, the Steelers wanted Michael Pouncey... and were very willing to trade up for DD (after missing out the year prior).

In 2012, the Steelers (also) wanted Donta' Hightower... and might be willing to trade up for Te'o (after missing out the year prior).

cbrunn
12-31-2012, 12:57 AM
I just came in here to say if Kyle Van Noy declares he should be the first round pick ...

SteelersCanada
12-31-2012, 01:07 AM
Te'o...??? Even if he got past DET at #5, I just don't see him making it to 17.

Teegre, I love you man, but you're wrong here bruh! Let's look at the top 16 picks before Pittsburgh:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000116754/article/2013-nfl-draft-order-if-the-season-ended-today

All of those teams have much, much more pressing needs than Inside Linebacker. You brought up the Lions - which is a very good point - but they have to address that secondary or outside Linebacker position before they address the inside. If Jarvis Jones is on the board for them when they pick fifth - something I expect to happen - there's no way in hell they pass him up. Outside of the Lions, every other team has much more pressing needs than inside Linebacker. We're in the fortunate position of not needing to draft a quarterback or wide receiver in the first round, so we can address our defense. The teams ahead of us aren't so lucky.

teegre
12-31-2012, 01:18 AM
Teegre, I love you man, but you're wrong here bruh! Let's look at the top 16 picks before Pittsburgh:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000116754/article/2013-nfl-draft-order-if-the-season-ended-today

All of those teams have much, much more pressing needs than Inside Linebacker. You brought up the Lions - which is a very good point - but they have to address that secondary or outside Linebacker position before they address the inside. If Jarvis Jones is on the board for them when they pick fifth - something I expect to happen - there's no way in hell they pass him up. Outside of the Lions, every other team has much more pressing needs than inside Linebacker. We're in the fortunate position of not needing to draft a quarterback or wide receiver in the first round, so we can address our defense. The teams ahead of us aren't so lucky.

Hmmm... what you are saying makes a lot of sense... and you generally make a lot of sense... and, QBs and WRs always creep upward in the draft (despite being marginal players), which would push Te'o downwards...

But, I can not (yet) wrap my head around the idea of Te'o falling to 17.

I know that weirder things have happened (AP dropped to 7; Troy dropped to 15; DD dropped to 24)... but, I just can not see him being there at 17.

Let me propose a counterpoint and/or food for thought: if those other 16 teams base their draft on BAP (as opposed to need), wouldn't Te'o be drafted in the top 10???

kent
12-31-2012, 01:30 AM

Isn't Bernard the highest rated rb as of now? I'd love to see him fall to us though. If a guy like Montee Ball or Bell is available in the mid rounds I think we need to take them.

SteelersCanada
12-31-2012, 01:53 AM
Let me propose a counterpoint and/or food for thought: if those other 16 teams base their draft on BAP (as opposed to need), wouldn't Te'o be drafted in the top 10???

That's a good point, no doubt. But, look at it this way, too. How many of those teams are as fortunate as us that they actually can draft in the BPA mode? I mean, most of the 16 teams ahead of us are now forced to pick and choose specific players and holes to fill on their roster. Teams like Buffalo, New York, Kansas City, Arizona and (possibly) the Eagles have multiple holes just on their offense but most glaringly - Quarterback. I have a feeling most, if not all, of those teams will reach for a QB in the first round. Other teams have the possibility of losing multiple franchise guys and have to build for the young Quarterback they already have. Take Miami, for example. There's a good chance they'll make a play for Mike Wallace but that isn't enough. The 'Fins might have to pinpoint and target an offensive Tackle or Guard in order to give Tannehill protection. Or, they go Wide Receiver.

The only team I can see having a legitimate option and being in play for Te'o are the Saints. With Vilma's cap hit and the drama surrounding him, they might not be so keen on bringing him back. If they do decide to part ways with him and Te'o is sitting on the board, I don't see a way they don't take him. That, sadly, is a very likely scenario and one I can see playing out.

Most - if not all - of the teams ahead of us are forced to pick and choose specific positions to fill. We're in a unique situation here in that we're picking high-ish and have the ability and freedom to pick in the BPA mode. I don't know about the rest of you guys, but I like being in this situation. The freedom of who to pick is nice and the ability to take a player - regardless of position or need - because of his elite skillset is something we haven't been able to do in a long while. Whoever we decide to pick (Te'o, Okafor, Van Noy or Jordan are the most likely candidates) we're fixing a hole but also taking an elite prospect.

Isn't Bernard the highest rated rb as of now? I'd love to see him fall to us though. If a guy like Montee Ball or Bell is available in the mid rounds I think we need to take them.
He absolutely is. But, a lot of teams and scouts now aren't very keen on taking a Running Back in the first - or even second round - because it's starting to look like they're a dime a dozen, even in the later rounds. I very much doubt another team is going to make a play at him before we're able to, even in the second round. If there was a team to do so, it would be the Jets. However, I can see the next GM of the Jets taking someone like Eddie Lacy in the second round over Giovani Bernard due to the running style and scheme the Jets have in place (i.e, power run).

WokeUpWithaWoodley
12-31-2012, 02:10 AM
I'm starting to lean towards teo if he fell out of top ten I think we would strongly consider trading up. If teo was drafted not only would he be a great fit but I feel like it would allow us to take the leash off Timmons and let him blitz more and cause havoc with his speed. Timmons is held into coverage a lot because Foote isn't all the great and it doesn't allow us to use Timmons in the best way

Chris Fuamatu-Ma'afala
12-31-2012, 02:23 AM
If we could get Mingo or Te'o in the 1st and then have a stud safety fall into our laps in the 2nd round I'd feel a lot better about our defense moving forward

lloydwoodson
12-31-2012, 03:34 AM
I don't watch college football so I looked up Barkevious Mingo - he had 4 sacks this year was he hurt or something and missed games?

Anyways I think Teo will be there IF he has a bad combine which is likely. I don't think he will be a workout warrior and that counts for a LOT to some teams.

If that is the case I hope he is drafted.

I don't watch college football so I really can't say who should be drafted but Teo has excellent instincts and would make a great addition.

OLB is a reach in round one. I think Worilds will do the job but depth will be required.
Woodley needs to get back on track!

S is a huge need.

I think you go BPA and draft ILB/S/CB.

CB would replace Taylor eventually. S would replace Clark/Polamalu imminently. ILB is a need.

teegre
12-31-2012, 09:20 AM
That's a good point, no doubt. But, look at it this way, too. How many of those teams are as fortunate as us that they actually can draft in the BPA mode? I mean, most of the 16 teams ahead of us are now forced to pick and choose specific players and holes to fill on their roster. Teams like Buffalo, New York, Kansas City, Arizona and (possibly) the Eagles have multiple holes just on their offense but most glaringly - Quarterback. I have a feeling most, if not all, of those teams will reach for a QB in the first round. Other teams have the possibility of losing multiple franchise guys and have to build for the young Quarterback they already have. Take Miami, for example. There's a good chance they'll make a play for Mike Wallace but that isn't enough. The 'Fins might have to pinpoint and target an offensive Tackle or Guard in order to give Tannehill protection. Or, they go Wide Receiver.

The only team I can see having a legitimate option and being in play for Te'o are the Saints. With Vilma's cap hit and the drama surrounding him, they might not be so keen on bringing him back. If they do decide to part ways with him and Te'o is sitting on the board, I don't see a way they don't take him. That, sadly, is a very likely scenario and one I can see playing out.

Most - if not all - of the teams ahead of us are forced to pick and choose specific positions to fill. We're in a unique situation here in that we're picking high-ish and have the ability and freedom to pick in the BPA mode. I don't know about the rest of you guys, but I like being in this situation. The freedom of who to pick is nice and the ability to take a player - regardless of position or need - because of his elite skillset is something we haven't been able to do in a long while. Whoever we decide to pick (Te'o, Okafor, Van Noy or Jordan are the most likely candidates) we're fixing a hole but also taking an elite prospect.

As always, you're making a ton of sense.

Still, I see FOUR strong possible landing spots for Te'o.

1. LIONS
They need a CB, but at 5, there isn't a CB that makes sense. I could see them going Te'o, and then going CB at the top of R2.

2. CHARGERS
They really need O-line help, but they also have needed an ILB for nearly six years... and, Te'o reminds fans out in SD a whole lot if Junior Seau.

3. SAINTS
As you outlined.

4. RAMS
Not that the Rams would take Te'o, but as you mentioned, Jeff Fischer like to trade down & acquire more picks. The NYGiants need an ILB, and the Rams would only have to drop down five spots (while picking up an extra R3 pick). In other words, "a team trading up & taking Revis right before the Steelers pick"... part II.

TOP SEVENTEEN
Going along with what you mentioned (QBs & WRs going early), I usually make a list if players who a) I'd like for the Steelers to draft, and b) players who WILL go top 17, but the Steelers won't draft.

Will go/not for Steelers:
1. Geno Smith, QB, WVU
2. Matt Barkley, QB, USC
3. Keenan Allen, WR, Cal
4. Mike Glennon, QB, NC St.

Possible Steelers picks:
1. Manti Te'o, ILB, ND
2. Jarvis Jones, OLB, Georgia
3. Demontre Moore, OLB, Texas A&M
4. Star Lotulelei, NT, Utah
5. Bjoern Werner, OLB, Florida St.
6. Dion Jordan, OLB, Oregon

Please, add to this list...

teegre
12-31-2012, 10:03 AM
Will go/not for Steelers:
1. Geno Smith, QB, WVU
2. Matt Barkley, QB, USC
3. Keenan Allen, WR, Cal
4. Mike Glennon, QB, NC St.

Possible Steelers picks:
1. Manti Te'o, ILB, ND
2. Jarvis Jones, OLB, Georgia
3. Demontre Moore, OLB, Texas A&M
4. Star Lotulelei, NT, Utah
5. Bjoern Werner, OLB, Florida St.
6. Dion Jordan, OLB, Oregon

"Could" be the pick, depending on The Colon (& whether Gilbert switches to LG, & if Starks returns):
1. Chance Warmack, LG, Alabama
2. Jake Loekel, LT, Texas A&M
3. Tyler Lewan, LT, Michigan

It might be a tad high, but I really want:
1. Matt Elam, S, Florida

Kingmagyar
12-31-2012, 12:28 PM
I know we have been after a #1 safety in the draft for awhile now including myself, but the Steelers are in a world of hurt at the receiver postion going into next season if their starters are Antonio Brown and an injury prone Emanual Sanders. It's hard enough for any rookie receiver to make an impact his first year let alone we won't be playing the FA game very hard.

Any suggestions on a worthy WR pick at 17?

And if we only would have lost against the Browns I think we would be drafting with the 11th pick!

teegre
12-31-2012, 12:55 PM
I know we have been after a #1 safety in the draft for awhile now including myself, but the Steelers are in a world of hurt at the receiver postion going into next season if their starters are Antonio Brown and an injury prone Emanual Sanders. It's hard enough for any rookie receiver to make an impact his first year let alone we won't be playing the FA game very hard.

And if we only would have lost against the Browns I think we would be drafting with the 11th pick!

I say NO to a WR.

But, to answer your question.

Keenan Allen, Cal (10-20)
Justin Hunter, Tenn (15-25)
Tavon Austin, WVU (25-35)

stiller39
12-31-2012, 01:22 PM
It early as the season just ended but I predict the stillers will draft.............. drum roll..............

THE BEST PLAYER AVAILABLE!!

its the stiller way.

SteelersCanada
12-31-2012, 01:42 PM

There isn't a WR worth picking in the top 20 in my opinion. This class of receivers is fairly weak, unfortunately. That being said, I wouldn't mind us taking Robert Woods in the second or Da'Rick Rogers in the third. Rogers is arguably the most talented receiver in this class, but due to character issues and maturity concerns, he's dropped off some boards. We could use this to our advantage and potentially find a number one receiver in the third round (again).

If you're looking for a number one safety, our best bet in the first round would be Kenny Vaccaro. While I'm against taking him this high due to the amount talent in the secondary in this draft, I can see how it would address a need for this team. I wouldn't mind taking someone like Amerson in the second and McDonald / Lester in the third if we go that route, though.

Teegre, I'll get back to you on your post. Just have to do some reading first on different team needs and etc.

I don't watch college football so I looked up Barkevious Mingo - he had 4 sacks this year was he hurt or something and missed games?

OLB is a reach in round one. I think Worilds will do the job but depth will be required.
Woodley needs to get back on track!.

Mingo had a down season for a number of reasons. The biggest one I can point to is the fact that most of the time (or, at least appeared that way) he was asked to contain and not disrupt. The best example of this I can give is the game against A&M. He was going against Luke Joeckel the entire game, and for the most part, got his ass handed to him. That being said, for the majority of the game it looked like he was asked to contain Manziel and not let him make a play outside the pocket instead of getting to him and disrupting the play.

There are two big holes in his game. The biggest and most glaring one is the fact that he's too fast. He can get to the quarterback with so much speed that sometimes, it gives the QB an open lane on his left side to run or make a play. Speedy OLBs like him can easily be handled by Tackles like Thomas from Cleveland. He also doesn't use his arms effectively enough to disengage from strong Tackles and struggles against the run.

However, all that being said, he's a freak. He's an absolute freak of nature. He's so fast and so agile that he'll be able to just run around most LT's in the NFL and make them look silly. He's a little on the tall side being 6'5, but he uses his speed and body to maneuver around Tackles and get to the Quarterback. If he learns to use his arms properly, him and Woodley are going to wreak havoc on Quarterbacks.

I disagree greatly on the fact that OLB isn't a need. In fact, it's the biggest need on this team. Worilds hasn't shown he can do anything as a WS 'Backer and needs to be replaced.

pete74
12-31-2012, 02:03 PM
Jesse Williams NT from Alabama. He is 6'3'' 325lbs with a 600lb bench press. I doubt we have much faith in Tamu and if he's there we will anchor our line for the next decade.
Kenny Vaccaro SS is tho other possibility. He is awesome and would be a great asset

Galax Steeler
12-31-2012, 02:14 PM
If we don't go linebacker then I want Kenny Vaccaro SS.

StevieRayVol
12-31-2012, 02:15 PM
Justin Hunter is considered the best WR prospect in the draft...But he played this year "NOT TO GET HURT" again and wasn't the same player as he was last year...Da'Rick Rogers is a head case supreme...Reminds me of Bolden who played with The Cardinals and Ravens on the field..Acts more like Santonio off the field...The most talented of the three is Cordarelle Patterson...Played one year at UT and broke a 25 year old record for all purpose yardage...Isn't the most polished route runner you will ever see but he is dynamite with ball in his hands...The Steelers could probably grab him in the 2nd or 3rd round hopefully...

Steel95
12-31-2012, 02:51 PM
Don't really follow college that closely, I wouldn't even know were to begin. I do think a lot will depend on who is resigned and who isn't. I was thinking a pure NT, but I think Steve McClendon has been groomed to take over for Casey. I don't think James Harrison will be back at his salary, counting just over $10M for 2013, so I think OLB will be a priority. Although they could move Jason Worilds to that side, draft his replacement next April. Lets not forget Mike Wallace and Mendenhall; I really don't think either of them will return next year, especially Mendy. And to be honest with you, I hope Mendenhall doesn't. Lately, I've been reading reports that Mike Wallace now has a slim chance of returning, I don't see it though. I don't think he fits Haley's system; I wouldn't be surprise if they traded down and went for a W.R.

Steel95
12-31-2012, 02:59 PM
Neither Tomlin nor Cowher ever made anything more than suggestions at draft time. The Cowher worship should at least be guided by reality.

I think we need to look at a QB fairly early in the draft. Batch cannot last another year, and Lefty is made of glass.

Finally someone that actually has said something that made sense.

PhantomJB93
12-31-2012, 03:03 PM
Detroit just made a long term MLB commitment to Stephen Tulloch. They could be stupid and draft Te'o as an OLB but that would be wasting his talents. Either way I don't think they'll take him. Exact same thing goes for the Browns with D'Qwell Jackson, as I've seen a lot of people mock T'eo to them as well. I just don't see it. I'm not sure he'll make it past that Arizona-Buffalo-NYJ trio from 7-9 though, although all three have much greater needs but they could all take him as well. If he made it through there and were available at 10, that's when I'd start REALLY considering a trade-up.

teegre
12-31-2012, 04:45 PM
Detroit just made a long term MLB commitment to Stephen Tulloch. They could be stupid and draft Te'o as an OLB but that would be wasting his talents. Either way I don't think they'll take him. Exact same thing goes for the Browns with D'Qwell Jackson, as I've seen a lot of people mock T'eo to them as well. I just don't see it. I'm not sure he'll make it past that Arizona-Buffalo-NYJ trio from 7-9 though, although all three have much greater needs but they could all take him as well. If he made it through there and were available at 10, that's when I'd start REALLY considering a trade-up.

Awesome. One less team to take him.

San Diego is my biggest concern. The talk around there is that Te'o is the second coming of Seau.

BritishSteel
12-31-2012, 04:46 PM
I can't shake the idea that someone like Dion Jordan would be a great fit for a LeBeau defence (assuming he comes back) - LeBeau loves hybrid players who excel in different positions and Jordan might lack the size to play the traditional DE role in the NFL, but he can fill in there, and is quick and mobile enough to line up on the line and at OLB - The Ducks even had him drop into coverage on occasion. He's the sort of player LeBeau could draw zone bltzes up all day for, and having him and Troy to plan for would give OC's sleepless nights. As an added bonus, we might be able to trade down and get him, most of the mock drafts I've seen have him going in the mid-20's in Rd 1, so we might get him and an extra pick in the 2nd.

PhantomJB93
12-31-2012, 05:05 PM
Awesome. One less team to take him.

San Diego is my biggest concern. The talk around there is that Te'o is the second coming of Seau.

Yeah I have a hard time seeing San Diego pass on Te'o if he's there. I think for us to land him, we're going to have to swing a deal with Tennessee, NYJ, or Buffalo. I don't think we'd trade to any earlier than 8, but I'm not sure Tennessee would trade back either. I think our best bet is to trade with the Jets at 9, with a new GM they'll be looking for a QB who they can probably find at 17,considering everyone between us and them has their QB already.

teegre
12-31-2012, 05:09 PM
Yeah I have a hard time seeing San Diego pass on Te'o if he's there. I think for us to land him, we're going to have to swing a deal with Tennessee, NYJ, or Buffalo. I don't think we'd trade to any earlier than 8, but I'm not sure Tennessee would trade back either. I think our best bet is to trade with the Jets at 9, with a new GM they'll be looking for a QB who they can probably find at 17,considering everyone between us and them has their QB already.

While a QB should not go at 9, the QBs always go higher than expected. Look for Barkley to come of the board at 9.

IF a trade occurs, what about trading with San Diego? Since they are the most likely team to snag Te'o... why not take them out of the equation (by making them move downward via a trade).

I;m not sold on trading up (I say risk it & draft an OLB if he's gone)... but... if Te'o is the target, then SD would be a logical trade partner.

Galax Steeler
12-31-2012, 05:18 PM
While a QB should not go at 9, the QBs always go higher than expected. Look for Barkley to come of the board at 9.

IF a trade occurs, what about trading with San Diego? Since they are the most likely team to snag Te'o... why not take them out of the equation (by making them move downward via a trade).

I;m not sold on trading up (I say risk it & draft an OLB if he's gone)... but... if Te'o is the target, then SD would be a logical trade partner.

I agree I do not want to trade up in this draft.

SteelersCanada
12-31-2012, 08:16 PM
I suggest if anyone has any doubts on Barkevious Mingo, they turn on this Chick-Fil-A bowl and watch him. Holy shit, this dude is going to be for real.

And, Malliciah Goodman is someone to watch out for as well. He's a DE for the Clemson Tigers and would play 3-4 DE for us. He's explosive and quick with good feet and strong arms. He's also working through double teams right now and still getting to the QB. 2 sacks in the first quarter isn't bad.

WokeUpWithaWoodley
01-01-2013, 02:34 AM
I suggest if anyone has any doubts on Barkevious Mingo, they turn on this Chick-Fil-A bowl and watch him. Holy shit, this dude is going to be for real.

And, Malliciah Goodman is someone to watch out for as well. He's a DE for the Clemson Tigers and would play 3-4 DE for us. He's explosive and quick with good feet and strong arms. He's also working through double teams right now and still getting to the QB. 2 sacks in the first quarter isn't bad.

The only doubts on mingo is his strength and if he will be able to hold his own against nfl lineman. No question he is fast and explosive but he needs to bulk up. I believe he only had 5.5 sacks this season and for a first rounder that's very low

ricardisimo
01-01-2013, 04:51 AM

You want us to draft another DE in the first round? Even if Hood and Heyward were busts (they're not) it's far from an area of need.

Galax Steeler
01-01-2013, 08:45 AM
You want us to draft another DE in the first round? Even if Hood and Heyward were busts (they're not) it's far from an area of need.

Agreed I don't won't to go in this direction we have other needs.

steelerchad
01-01-2013, 09:46 AM
whatever our draft looks like next year, we will basically have an additional 1st and 3rd next year as neither DeCastro or Spence got any real time as rookies.
I think Spence will solidify our pass D to help shut down TE's and RB's in the passing game. In the more specialized NFL, I think he'll be valuable.
I think we all think and hope DeCastro will be the next Faneca. I think Troy's replacement is a priority. I'd take a RB somewhere, but not early. Other than that, BPA as usual.

Kingmagyar
01-01-2013, 10:04 AM
Does anyone know the compensatory picks the Steelers would get if and when Mike Wallace and Mendenhall sign elsewhere. I'm assuming there would be at least one third rounder in there plus something else. Two 3's maybe would be awesome.

Not sure how it all works but we could get quite a few picks actually with guys like Starks, Hampton, or any more of the 17 Unrestricted Free Agents we have signing elsewhere.

However does it even apply to the 2013 draft? or is it the one after that?

Galax Steeler
01-01-2013, 10:22 AM
whatever our draft looks like next year, we will basically have an additional 1st and 3rd next year as neither DeCastro or Spence got any real time as rookies.
I think Spence will solidify our pass D to help shut down TE's and RB's in the passing game. In the more specialized NFL, I think he'll be valuable.
I think we all think and hope DeCastro will be the next Faneca. I think Troy's replacement is a priority. I'd take a RB somewhere, but not early. Other than that, BPA as usual.

You have to throw Adams in there as well he was injured a lot this year as well.

steelerchad
01-01-2013, 10:37 AM
Does anyone know the compensatory picks the Steelers would get if and when Mike Wallace and Mendenhall sign elsewhere. I'm assuming there would be at least one third rounder in there plus something else. Two 3's maybe would be awesome.

Not sure how it all works but we could get quite a few picks actually with guys like Starks, Hampton, or any more of the 17 Unrestricted Free Agents we have signing elsewhere.

However does it even apply to the 2013 draft? or is it the one after that?

This explains the process.

Compensatory picks
In addition to the 32 selections in each of the seven rounds, a total of 32 compensatory picks are awarded to teams that have lost more or better compensatory free agents than they signed in the previous year.[58] Teams that gain and lose the same number of players but lose higher-valued players than they gain also can be awarded a pick, but only in the seventh round, after the other compensatory picks. Compensatory picks cannot be traded, and the placement of the picks is determined by a proprietary formula based on the player's salary, playing time, and postseason honors with his new team, with salary being the primary factor. So, for example, a team that lost a linebacker who signed for $2.5 million per year in free agency might get a sixth-round compensatory pick, while a team that lost a wide receiver who signed for $5 million per year might receive a fourth-round pick. awarded at the ends of Rounds 3 through 7
If fewer than 32 such picks are awarded, the remaining picks are awarded in the order in which teams would pick in a hypothetical eighth round of the draft (These are known as "supplemental compensatory selections").
Compensatory picks are awarded each year at the NFL annual meeting which is held at the end of March; typically, about three or four weeks before the draft.

The_Joker
01-01-2013, 11:10 AM
Am I the only one who wants to draft a HB in the 1st round?!

SteelersCanada
01-01-2013, 11:22 AM

Malliciah Goodman isn't going to be a first round pick. While he has tremendous upside and potential, he's more of a 4 - 5 round guy. I should have prefaced that before I started talking about him - my fault. He's been incredibly inconsistent so far for Clemson and this is his coming out game. That being said, a couple good games in your collegiate career doesn't warrant a first round grade. Or even a second or third if I'm being honest.

teegre
01-01-2013, 11:23 AM

No, there are many who want a RB in R1. (Not I.)

But, even if one wants a RB in R1, there is no R1-worthy RB. Marcus Lattimore got injured, and he was the only one. Giovanni Bernard is a late R1 possibility... but I like Knile David (Arkansas)... "if" a RB is taken... but, he'd go R3-R4-ish.

WokeUpWithaWoodley
01-01-2013, 11:38 AM

Yes that wouldn't be a smart move we have many needs more important this year

SteelersCanada
01-01-2013, 11:47 AM

There's no RBs worth a first round pick in this years draft.

greenaztec
01-01-2013, 03:26 PM
What about Ryan Nassib from Syracuse in the 3rd round? We need to address the backup QB situation now.

SteelersCanada
01-01-2013, 04:23 PM
http://cdn0.sbnation.com/uploads/chorus_image/image/5906727/clowney.0_standard_709.0.gif

I want Clowney so bad. I say we start Antonio Brown at QB for the 2013 season just so we can tank it, end up with the number one overall pick and take him.

Look at this fucking hit. Sweet mother of Jesus. He palmed the ball. Imagine Clowney on the line with Te'o, Timmons and Woodley as the Linebackers?

teegre
01-01-2013, 05:08 PM
http://cdn0.sbnation.com/uploads/chorus_image/image/5906727/clowney.0_standard_709.0.gif

I want Clowney so bad. I say we start Antonio Brown at QB for the 2013 season just so we can tank it, end up with the number one overall pick and take him.

Look at this fucking hit. Sweet mother of Jesus. He palmed the ball. Imagine Clowney on the line with Te'o, Timmons and Woodley as the Linebackers?

Clowney at OLB is my druthers, as well.

Tanking the season... no.

BUT, how about this instead: trade back from #17 & acquire an extra R2 for next year. tread down again, acquiring another R2 pick. Then, next year, trade those two "extra" R2 picks to move up for Clowney.

WokeUpWithaWoodley
01-01-2013, 05:26 PM
Make sure you watch the bowl games tonight.
Rose bowl look for Monte ball from Wisconsin and Taylor rb skov and Thomas linebackers ertz te from Stanford
And the fsu game watch Bjorn werner

As these guys could be possible draft picks

SteelersCanada
01-01-2013, 05:28 PM

BUT, how about this instead: trade back from #17 & acquire an extra R2 for next year. tread down again, acquiring another R2 pick. Then, next year, trade those two "extra" R2 picks to move up for Clowney.

If there was one season I'd be in favor of tanking, it would be 2014. However, I really like the idea of trading down or trading players.

We can potentially trade down from 17 to 22-ish and pick up second/third, and then trade out of the second round completely for 2014 picks. So, potentially, we could end up like this:

2014: 1 first round, 3 second rounds, 1 third, etc. and then trade up using the first round and all 3 second rounds to snag Jadeveon.

I realize that's worded in the worst possible fashion possible, but I hope you get it! I like that idea. A lot.

zcoop
01-01-2013, 06:30 PM

The Clown can't come out until after next season. I'm a GameCock. So you like that hit? Unfortunately he won't be in this year's draft. He'd be a good pick for us though.

teegre
01-01-2013, 06:53 PM
The Clown can't come out until after next season. I'm a GameCock. So you like that hit? Unfortunately he won't be in this year's draft. He'd be a good pick for us though.

That's what SteelersCanada & I were saying: trade down this year, in order to get more picks, to trade up for Clowney next year.

zcoop
01-01-2013, 06:57 PM
That's what SteelersCanada & I were saying: trade down this year, in order to get more picks, to trade up for Clowney next year.

I got it, I just couldn't delete my post.

BKAnthem
01-01-2013, 07:09 PM
I say we go Safety Rd 1...when Troy or Clark are out...the secondary turns into a sieve

teegre
01-01-2013, 07:28 PM
I just read a Steelers mock draft on drafttek.com. It has NO linebackers being drafted, but it has two players that I love (Elam) and/or have discussed ad nauseum (McFadden), plus one player that I really like (Warmack), and another player that other people have mentioned (Lacy).

R1: Chance Warmack, LG, Alabama
R2: Matt Elam, SS, Florida
R3: Eddie Lacy, RB, Alabsma
R4: Leon McFadden, CB, SDSU
R5: DJ Swearinger, FS, South Carolina

Again, there are NO linebackers... but, if I could get Elam in R2... well... I would indeed make that trade (no LBs in exchange for Elam).

REALISTICALLY SPEAKING
While I think that Elam goes in R1, the Browns & Saints both lost draft picks in R2, and thus, the Steelers hold the fifteenth pick in that round (47). So, it's not too much if a stretch to think they it "could" happen.

If I'm going to be hypothetical & greedy, I say:
R1 Manti Te'o, ILB
R2 Matt Elam, SS
R3 on... I don't care.

teegre
01-01-2013, 07:45 PM
If there was one season I'd be in favor of tanking, it would be 2014. However, I really like the idea of trading down or trading players.

We can potentially trade down from 17 to 22-ish and pick up second/third, and then trade out of the second round completely for 2014 picks. So, potentially, we could end up like this:

2014: 1 first round, 3 second rounds, 1 third, etc. and then trade up using the first round and all 3 second rounds to snag Jadeveon.

I realize that's worded in the worst possible fashion possible, but I hope you get it! I like that idea. A lot.

I see what you're saying (although, we both know that outside of New England, this many trades never occur). Here's what I'm thinking.

1. I want Matt Elam.
1-a. The 17th pick might be too high for him.

2. Trade back to 24-26ish (for someone's R3 pick & their next year's R2 pick).
2-a. Draft Elam at 24-26.

3. Trade this year's R2 pick for someone's R3 this year & their R3 next year.
3-a. No R2 pick this year.
3-b. Two R3 picks this year.

3-c. Two R2 picks next year.
3-d. Two R3 picks next year.

THIS YEAR
26. Elam, SS
R3. Shayne Skov, LB, Stanford
R3. Nico Johnson, LB, Alabama

NEXT YEAR
32. (traded, to move up for Clowney)
R2 (traded, to move up for Clowney)
R2 (traded, to move up for Clowney)
R3 ???
R3 ???

PhantomJB93
01-01-2013, 07:59 PM
I really don't know if 2 2nd round picks would be enough to move into the top 3, where I would expect Clowney to be drafted. Unless we suck next season again and have a top ten pick.

teegre
01-01-2013, 08:03 PM
I really don't know if 2 2nd round picks would be enough to move into the top 3, where I would expect Clowney to be drafted. Unless we suck next season again and have a top ten pick.

Stop crushing my delusions. :wink02:

(There you go, bringing "logic" into the discussion. LOL)

Hawaii 5-0
01-01-2013, 10:25 PM
Draft outlook

Despite their record, the Steelers don't have a ton of needs. Adding depth on defense could be a priority, especially with Taylor, Polamalu, and safety Ryan Clark all in their 30s. Inside linebacker Larry Foote is also long in the tooth but he's fared well as James Farrior's replacement. Plus, youngsters Stevenson Sylvester and Sean Spence are already on the roster.

NFLDraftScout.com's Rob Rang has the Steelers taking defensive tackle Jesse Williams (Alabama) with the 17th pick, while Dane Brugler likes cornerback Johnathan Banks (Mississippi State).

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/eye-on-football/21460135/end-of-the-road-2012-pittsburgh-steelers

kan_t
01-01-2013, 10:41 PM
I would like the Steelers to address OLB, ILB, S in the first 3 rounds (in no particular order). Then TE, RB, CB and WR in the later rounds (again in no particular order).

WokeUpWithaWoodley
01-02-2013, 12:05 AM
I've read that Elam might not declare

teegre
01-02-2013, 12:25 AM
I've read that Elam might not declare

I've heard rumblings of that, as well.

BUT, once he knows that I want the Steelers to draft him (possibly at 17)... well... he will obviously declare.

kan_t
01-02-2013, 03:59 AM

BUT, how about this instead: trade back from #17 & acquire an extra R2 for next year. tread down again, acquiring another R2 pick. Then, next year, trade those two "extra" R2 picks to move up for Clowney.Two extra second round picks wouldn't be enough for moving up for Clowney even if the Steelers do tank the season.

But I can see that the Steelers pick Clowney, if Big Ben gets hurt all season.

A side note, Taylor Lewan actually held his own well against Clowney in that game. The Steelers won't pick him but I wonder if teams in front of them will. That may help the Steelers' chance of getting Te'o.

steelersfan77
01-02-2013, 06:38 PM
I like Mingo with the first pick. That'll give us 4 solid olb with a year learning curve under Harrison. Harrison may be in his last season with the Steelers. We'll need at least 3 solid olbs going into 14. Woodley, Woirlds and a 1st round 2013 pick.

If Mingo is gone the middle linebacker position is in question. What does Spencer possess? Footer is getting older. Its hard to pass on a talent like Ogletree. Dudes a beast.

I also like Chance Warmack. Colon had had enough and can't stay healthy.

If these players are available in the second round they should get a look. Elam, our safeties are getting old. Taylor, if we don't retain Mendenhall. Wilson, a good talent and could sure up the backup Qb position.

BKAnthem
01-04-2013, 01:29 PM
I would like the Steelers to address OLB, ILB, S in the first 3 rounds (in no particular order). Then TE, RB, CB and WR in the later rounds (again in no particular order).

Steelers have like 50 Lb's, why would they draft more before developing what they already have?

what they lack and have for some time is quality depth at both Safety spots

Fire Arians
01-04-2013, 01:38 PM
I like Mingo with the first pick. That'll give us 4 solid olb with a year learning curve under Harrison. Harrison may be in his last season with the Steelers. We'll need at least 3 solid olbs going into 14. Woodley, Woirlds and a 1st round 2013 pick.

If Mingo is gone the middle linebacker position is in question. What does Spencer possess? Footer is getting older. Its hard to pass on a talent like Ogletree. Dudes a beast.

If these players are available in the second round they should get a look. Elam, our safeties are getting old. Taylor, if we don't retain Mendenhall. Wilson, a good talent and could sure up the backup Qb position.

Warmack is a strong possibility, I see colon possibly being gone because of his inability to stay healthy, and the penalties don't help

teegre
01-04-2013, 02:03 PM
Steelers have like 50 Lb's, why would they draft more before developing what they already have?

what they lack and have for some time is quality depth at both Safety spots

Because Carter, Sly, and Worilds have been average at best.

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-04-2013, 04:31 PM

I would like Mingo in the 1st too.

Rd 1 Mingo
Rd 2 Shane Skov ILB
Rd 3 Ryan Swope WR
Rd 4 DJ Swearinger S
Rd 5 Brian Mulroe G

cbrunn
01-04-2013, 05:01 PM

Rd 1 Mingo
Rd 2 Shane Skov ILB
Rd 3 Ryan Swope WR
Rd 4 DJ Swearinger S
Rd 5 Brian Mulroe G

2nd round ILB if he declares should be Andrew Jackson

qZQFoR363mw

dMK4a-NcbJ4

ujMyRhJntrw

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-04-2013, 06:43 PM
2nd round ILB if he declares should be Andrew Jackson

]

6'1" 265LBS...........I would want to see him in some change of direction drills. Looks like he plays downhill in the run game, but looks a bit heavy footed and could get lost by cutback runners.

Donta Hightower without the explosiveness or top end speed. He should stay in school 1 more year.

torpedoshell31
01-04-2013, 07:05 PM
Chance Warmack is 6'3' and 320 lbs, mobile and is an absolute mauler. Can you see our OL with Adams, Warmack, Pouncey, DeCastro and Gilbert for the next 10 years?

cbrunn
01-04-2013, 09:04 PM
6'1" 265LBS...........I would want to see him in some change of direction drills. Looks like he plays downhill in the run game, but looks a bit heavy footed and could get lost by cutback runners.

Donta Hightower without the explosiveness or top end speed. He should stay in school 1 more year.

I definitely agree he should go back to school for his last year ... and if he does come out his workout numbers on straight line speed and change of direction are huge ...but with that said he is a tackling machine and, I think He is as athletic as Skov

I just think Jackson would fit besides Timmons nice, and Spence for 3rd downs/ Passing downs, depending on his rehab (still have good hopes for him)

cbrunn
01-04-2013, 09:23 PM
I'm about to change draft strategies to all Offense , forget the Defense yes it's getting older ... but who cares if you can't put up 28+ a game you're not going to win in this new league

casteeler
01-04-2013, 09:28 PM
I know who to draft in 2015! Johnny Manziel,I have watched a couple of A&Ms games and the guy is AWESOME! Someone get that kid a Black&Gold Jersey:tt04:

teegre
01-04-2013, 11:20 PM

Rd 1 Mingo
Rd 2 Shane Skov ILB
Rd 3 Ryan Swope WR
Rd 4 DJ Swearinger S
Rd 5 Brian Mulroe G

I am a big fan of Skov.

I mocked him to the Steelers (R3) since September (I watch quite a bit of Stanford football).

Do you think he goes R2? I think that he will last until R3.

lloydwoodson
01-05-2013, 04:10 AM
1st "Michievious" Barkevious Mingo OLB or best fullback available
2nd Matt Elam FS / Eddie Lacy RB / Kevin Minter ILB
3rd Jordan Reed TE / D.J. Fluker OT / G
4th Kenny Ladler S / Andrew Jackson ILB
5th Knile Davis RB / Marcus Lattimore RB

Matt Elam looks really good. Very instinctive S who disguises what he is doing to the QB and reads plays well. I hope he becomes a Steeler but a pass rush is more important in the first round.

S is not as pressing a need as people make it seem. Troy at 80% is still better than most NFL S and Ryan Clark was the second best defender this year.

lloydwoodson
01-05-2013, 04:16 AM
I know who to draft in 2015! Johnny Manziel,I have watched a couple of A&Ms games and the guy is AWESOME! Someone get that kid a Black&Gold Jersey:tt04:

In order to get the first pick to be used on Johnny Manziel for the 2015 draft, I hereby volunteer my servies to play quarterback for the Pittsburgh Steelers of the National Football League for the entire 2014 season (not withstanding injury).

kan_t
01-05-2013, 04:29 AM
In order to get the first pick to be used on Johnny Manziel for the 2015 draft, I hereby volunteer my servies to play quarterback for the Pittsburgh Steelers of the National Football League for the entire 2014 season (not withstanding injury).
Maybe you should just kidnap Ben for 1 year then use the first pick on Jadeveon Clowney and release Ben after 2014 season.

BLACK_AND_YELLOW
01-05-2013, 04:31 AM
Maybe you should just kidnap Ben for 1 year then use the first pick on Jadeveon Clowney and release Ben after 2014 season.

:doh:

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-05-2013, 01:56 PM

the kid cant throw a deep ball, but can run and throw the short/intermediate routes. He is Colt McCoy with running ability. I dont see him as an NFL QB, but somebody will draft him around 15-25 in his draft year.

casteeler
01-05-2013, 02:01 PM
the kid cant throw a deep ball, but can run and throw the short/intermediate routes. He is Colt McCoy with running ability. I dont see him as an NFL QB, but somebody will draft him around 15-25 in his draft year.

He's a freshman. If College only lasted 1 year you would have a point

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-05-2013, 02:03 PM
I am a big fan of Skov.

I mocked him to the Steelers (R3) since September (I watch quite a bit of Stanford football).

Do you think he goes R2? I think that he will last until R3.

For years I have really liked what Tony Pauline sees in players. most of the time our assessments are similar (Tyson Jackson for instance). I actually like Van Noy better for the Steelers.

Pauline has a 2nd round grade on Skov and a later round grade on Van Noy right now.

Shayne Skov, LB -- Stanford: Skov was graded as a potential first-round pick at the start of the 2011 season before a knee injury during the third game ended his season. His return to form was slow this seaso, yet Skov has gotten stronger each week. His performance during the upset victory over Oregon was nothing less than dominant. The ferocious linebacker led the Cardinal with 10 tackles and single-handedly stopped an Oregon scoring opportunity in the first quarter. While the draft world is abuzz about the prospects of middle linebacker Manti Te'o being a top 12 choice, many scouts feel Skov in Round 2 could be better value.

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/tony_pauline/11/17/risers-sliders-week-12/index.html#ixzz2H84a9oEK

cbrunn
01-05-2013, 03:06 PM
For years I have really liked what Tony Pauline sees in players. most of the time our assessments are similar (Tyson Jackson for instance). I actually like Van Noy better for the Steelers.

Pauline has a 2nd round grade on Skov and a later round grade on Van Noy right now.

Shayne Skov, LB -- Stanford: Skov was graded as a potential first-round pick at the start of the 2011 season before a knee injury during the third game ended his season. His return to form was slow this seaso, yet Skov has gotten stronger each week. His performance during the upset victory over Oregon was nothing less than dominant. The ferocious linebacker led the Cardinal with 10 tackles and single-handedly stopped an Oregon scoring opportunity in the first quarter. While the draft world is abuzz about the prospects of middle linebacker Manti Te'o being a top 12 choice, many scouts feel Skov in Round 2 could be better value.

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/tony_pauline/11/17/risers-sliders-week-12/index.html#ixzz2H84a9oEK

Van Noy going back to school

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/cougars/55549796-88/byu-state-noy-season.html.csp

good website on those delcaring or returning http://www.gbnreport.com/juniorscoreboard.html

WokeUpWithaWoodley
01-05-2013, 07:43 PM
I've seen a lot of mocks with us taking mingo or Jordan. Mingo to me doesn't not have the strength the play against nfl caliber lineman he is extremely explosive but will get pushed around in the run game I believe and I don't know if I would happy with mingo.

Jordan is a little raw but has a high ceiling I wouldn't mind the Jordan pick but there is spmething I just don't like about him for some reason idk.

I see a guy like okafor from Texas being a much better nfl player than those two. He has both speed and power when rushing the passer and holds his own against the run. If you watch him he uses he's hands very well to get past lineman. Although 17 might be to high for him, I would rather him be a steeler than those two if you go olb first round.

SteelersCanada
01-05-2013, 07:52 PM
I've seen a lot of mocks with us taking mingo or Jordan. Mingo to me doesn't not have the strength the play against nfl caliber lineman he is extremely explosive but will get pushed around in the run game I believe and I don't know if I would happy with mingo.

Jordan is a little raw but has a high ceiling I wouldn't mind the Jordan pick but there is spmething I just don't like about him for some reason idk.

I see a guy like okafor from Texas being a much better nfl player than those two. He has both speed and power when rushing the passer and holds his own against the run. If you watch him he uses he's hands very well to get past lineman. Although 17 might be to high for him, I would rather him be a steeler than those two if you go olb first round.

Mingo's strength is a little bit of an issue, but his speed makes him enough of an asset for him to start over anyone we have. He'll bulk up eventually but he's quick and agile enough to make plays until he's strong enough.

Not liking Jordan because you 'don't know' isn't legitimate, sorry. There are things to not like, but you gotta find something specific that we can talk about.

Okafor is a very good player and he'll have a very good career. However, he doesn't have the speed or potential that Jordan and Mingo have. He's a solid prospect, but he doesn't show elite skills or ability and doesn't excel in any area.

teegre
01-05-2013, 08:32 PM

While I had the round incorrect, I had the right players. In September, I was thinking:
R2: Elam
R3: Skov

Now, it looks like, if the Steelers want those two players, it would have to look more like this:
R1: Elam*
R2: Skov

*(Maybe trading back, because while I like Elam, I think that 17 is too early to take him.)

Regardless of reality, I hope it goes like this (with possible trade ups in both R2 & R3):
R1: Jordan/Mingo
R2: Elam
R3: Skov

lloydwoodson
01-05-2013, 08:50 PM
Mingo's strength is a little bit of an issue, but his speed makes him enough of an asset for him to start over anyone we have. He'll bulk up eventually but he's quick and agile enough to make plays until he's strong enough.

Not liking Jordan because you 'don't know' isn't legitimate, sorry. There are things to not like, but you gotta find something specific that we can talk about.

Okafor is a very good player and he'll have a very good career. However, he doesn't have the speed or potential that Jordan and Mingo have. He's a solid prospect, but he doesn't show elite skills or ability and doesn't excel in any area.

Dion Jordan will be an NFL bust unless he is put in a 4-3 defense and only comes in on 3rd downs. He can not play the run AT ALL. I will put a vid up if I can find it again of him getting blocked by a 5'9 WR on a run play. (Yes, he is athletic enough in space to cover). Jordan is good in space but TERRIBLE against blockers. He can not play 3-4 OLB in the Steelers defense.

LSU defensive players are better coached. I like both Mingo as an OLB and Kevin Minter as an ILB. I don't like Eric Reid I think he is Taylor Mays-lite. Reid is slow to react to plays and is not a fluid player. Reid stands in one spot until he figures out what is going on (which takes him a while) then runs in a straight line to the ball.

Shayne Skov is slow. Look how bad Mauleuga looked today against the Texans. He got burned all day by TEs and is a huge reason why the Bengals lost the game. Larry Foote is faster than Shayne Skov. Skov is the antithesis to Sean Spence- I don't see him as an option either.

SteelersCanada
01-05-2013, 09:01 PM
Dion Jordan will be an NFL bust unless he is put in a 4-3 defense and only comes in on 3rd downs. He can not play the run AT ALL. I will put a vid up if I can find it again of him getting blocked by a 5'9 WR on a run play. (Yes, he is athletic enough in space to cover). Jordan is good in space but TERRIBLE against blockers. He can not play 3-4 OLB in the Steelers defense.

LSU defensive players are better coached. I like both Mingo as an OLB and Kevin Minter as an ILB. I don't like Eric Reid I think he is Taylor Mays-lite. Reid is slow to react to plays and is not a fluid player. Reid stands in one spot until he figures out what is going on (which takes him a while) then runs in a straight line to the ball.

Shayne Skov is slow. Look how bad Mauleuga looked today against the Texans. He got burned all day by TEs and is a huge reason why the Bengals lost the game. Larry Foote is faster than Shayne Skov. Skov is the antithesis to Sean Spence- I don't see him as an option either.

It's funny - every time I post something I come back to the thread, and holy shit, LloydWoodson has disagreed with me. Well, that doesn't surprise me.

So, you're lecturing me about a guy I've seen every game of but you admitted you 'don't watch college football'? No, that shit isn't happening right now. If you don't watch college ball, don't tell me what prospects are worth something. He isn't 'terrible against blockers' and needs to put on size and build strength - something I've already said.

Everything you just said about Jordan also applies to Barkevious Mingo. He isn't strong enough to disengage blockers but has the speed to get around them. Is this a joke? I feel like I'm living in the fucking twilight zone right now.

Here's a tip: if you don't watch college ball, don't come in here and add your two cents based on YouTube videos.

WokeUpWithaWoodley
01-05-2013, 09:09 PM

Mingo strength is a big factor at the next level tackles will eat him up in the run game. Florida had tremendous success at running the ball to his side. Dj flunked bama tackle who isn't know for his pass protection shut him down. For someone who is one dimensional isn't worth our pick at 17. Whatever team he goes to nfl teams should run at him and have plenty of success.

Jordan is in the same boat. He doesn't use his hands well on blockers and when he gets locked on to he struggles to shed off blockers. He relies on his speed and athleticism to much and doesn't process much else when he rushes.

I see and know they both have potential but I'm not sure i would want draft someone at 17 hoping they get stronger to be able to take on blockers.

Okafor excels at both his bull rush and speed rush and uses his hands extremely well to get around blockers and has multiple push rushing moves. And sites that list prospects and have 40 times on them (given I don't know where they get them but none the less has some credibility to it, so take it with a grain of salt) hav mingo in the 4.6 and Jordan 4.6 4.7and okafor 4.7.

Again I think 17 might be to high for okafor as well I just see him being a lot better prospect who isn't raw.

cbrunn
01-05-2013, 09:13 PM
Mingo strength is a big factor at the next level tackles will eat him up in the run game. Florida had tremendous success at running the ball to his side. Dj flunked bama tackle who isn't know for his pass protection shut him down. For someone who is one dimensional isn't worth our pick at 17. Whatever team he goes to nfl teams should run at him and have plenty of success.

Jordan is in the same boat. He doesn't use his hands well on blockers and when he gets locked on to he struggles to shed off blockers. He relies on his speed and athleticism to much and doesn't process much else when he rushes.

I see and know they both have potential but I'm not sure i would want draft someone at 17 hoping they get stronger to be able to take on blockers.

Okafor excels at both his bull rush and speed rush and uses his hands extremely well to get around blockers and has multiple push rushing moves. And sites that list prospects and have 40 times on them (given I don't know where they get them but none the less has some credibility to it, so take it with a grain of salt) hav mingo in the 4.6 and Jordan and okafor 4.7.

Again I think 17 might be to high for okafor as well I just see him being a lot better prospect who isn't raw.

I also like Okafor better ... He's like a Woodley clone ... and with them both coming off the edge it would Collapse pockets on QBs, at least that's my 2 cents ...

I have questions about his ability to drop back in coverage though

WokeUpWithaWoodley
01-05-2013, 09:17 PM
I also like Okafor better ... He's like a Woodley clone ... and with them both coming off the edge it would Collapse pockets on QBs, at least that's my 2 cents ...

I have questions about his ability to drop back in coverage though

Yes that's the one question on him is his coverage but most of the time when Woodley drops n coverage it's mostly a zone to the flat of shallow middle.

cbrunn
01-05-2013, 09:23 PM
I really like what Alec Ogeltree could do for this defense .... not so much on blowing up the guard and run stuffing, but coverage and he's also an underrated blitzer ... but he would allow Timmons to always attack , which Timmons is so dangerous at doing,

Ogeltree could guard all TEs and so on, while Timmons attacks attacks attacks

Also could go with Timmons Ogeltree and Spence all LBs that could cover better fits todays NFL

lloydwoodson
01-05-2013, 11:23 PM
It's funny - every time I post something I come back to the thread, and holy shit, LloydWoodson has disagreed with me. Well, that doesn't surprise me.

So, you're lecturing me about a guy I've seen every game of but you admitted you 'don't watch college football'? No, that shit isn't happening right now. If you don't watch college ball, don't tell me what prospects are worth something. He isn't 'terrible against blockers' and needs to put on size and build strength - something I've already said.

Everything you just said about Jordan also applies to Barkevious Mingo. He isn't strong enough to disengage blockers but has the speed to get around them. Is this a joke? I feel like I'm living in the fucking twilight zone right now.

Here's a tip: if you don't watch college ball, don't come in here and add your two cents based on YouTube videos.

All I was doing was agreeing with WokeUp after you so rudely dismissed him.

The only comment I made regarding the two players was saying Jordan is terrible against the run- which you appreantly agree with- and that LSU players are better coached. Which you should agree with.

-Jordan played in a 47th ranked Wide 9 Oregon defense that went out of its way to isolate him 1 on 1 with tackles and even running backs. Jordan was almost never double teamed and on a lot of plays he made was actually unblocked. Oregon's DC actually employed an offense-like zone-blocking scheme on his defense where Oregon would chip the tackle blocking Jordan on some plays.

-Jordan is a former TE. He switched to DE in 2010. His DC at Oregon was a former RB and RB coach who switched to DC late in his career.

-Jordan does everything he can to avoid contact, including backing up for more than a yard to shed blocks.

-Mingo played in an 7th ranked NFL-style 4-3 that has produced more current defensive standouts than any other school in the NFL.

-Mingo comes from the 7th ranked defense in college. His DC was a defensive player who has 30 years experience. Mingo played linebacker in high school and has never played offense.

-Mingo engages blockers and has drawn criticism for not doing so well enough.

-Most mocks have Mingo going in the mid-1st (often to the Steelers) while Jordan is usually projected as a 2nd round pick.

I am not saying Mingo is responsible for his team's success- he had way more talent around him- I am saying he learned from better teachers and there is a reason top defensive players go to LSU so often.

lloydwoodson
01-05-2013, 11:36 PM
He is an excellent edge rusher with outstanding speed and change of direction agility. He lacks the ideal frame you look for in an every-down end and could be limited to situational duties in the NFL because of his lack of bulk

He is a fluid and flexible runner who plays at a low pad level and has proven to be very successful playing off the edge. Even with his long arms, when he works in-line, he struggles to disengage when the larger blockers lock on to him.

He will make a lot of his plays coming from the backside, but when he gets too high in his stance, he will struggle to disengage trying to shoot the inside gaps.

Is this a fair criticism of Barkevious Mingo? Because this is actually the scouting report for DeMarcus Ware.

kan_t
01-06-2013, 06:03 AM
He is an excellent edge rusher with outstanding speed and change of direction agility. He lacks the ideal frame you look for in an every-down end and could be limited to situational duties in the NFL because of his lack of bulk

He is a fluid and flexible runner who plays at a low pad level and has proven to be very successful playing off the edge. Even with his long arms, when he works in-line, he struggles to disengage when the larger blockers lock on to him.

He will make a lot of his plays coming from the backside, but when he gets too high in his stance, he will struggle to disengage trying to shoot the inside gaps.

Is this a fair criticism of Barkevious Mingo? Because this is actually the scouting report for DeMarcus Ware.
It also looks like a Jordan's scouting report too.

The only complete package is Jarvis Jones. And the Steelers are not getting him. If they can stop the run at this stage, they won't be available at 17th.The upside of Jordan and Mingo both justify their mid-first round ranking IMO.

lloydwoodson
01-06-2013, 07:01 AM
It also looks like a Jordan's scouting report too.

The only complete package is Jarvis Jones. And the Steelers are not getting him. If they can stop the run at this stage, they won't be available at 17th.The upside of Jordan and Mingo both justify their mid-first round ranking IMO.

Mingo goes to a 3-4 team and Jordan goes to a 4-3 team or I will leave this message board... forever!

They are not the same player. I don't care who says they are.

BLACK_AND_YELLOW
01-06-2013, 08:35 AM
1. Alec Ogletree(Te'o would be a dream come true but he'll be gone)
2. Matt Elam
3. Montee Ball
4. Brandon Jenkins
5. Landry Jones
6. Marquess Wilson
7. Devin Taylor

im dreaming lol

kan_t
01-06-2013, 09:49 AM
Mingo goes to a 3-4 team and Jordan goes to a 4-3 team or I will leave this message board... forever!

They are not the same player. I don't care who says they are.
Relax. :drink:

surcalifero
01-06-2013, 11:30 AM
We got to wait until after the combine to predict where players are gonna go. Yall foolz are trippin out who we gettin. Chill out...

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-06-2013, 12:39 PM
Has Ogletree declared for the draft? Word was he was going to stay in school.

I personally think Jordan is a great athlete, but I'm not sold on him as an OLB in a 3-4. Think he is a 4-3 DE that needs some extra muscle on him.

Mingo I think is better suited to a 3-4, but may need to sit for a year and get coached up on the position, while he also adds some muscle. I still think Mingo and Skov would be a great 1-2 draft. Never gonna happen though, because I just jinxed it.

cbrunn
01-06-2013, 01:01 PM
Has Ogletree declared for the draft? Word was he was going to stay in school.

I personally think Jordan is a great athlete, but I'm not sold on him as an OLB in a 3-4. Think he is a 4-3 DE that needs some extra muscle on him.

Mingo I think is better suited to a 3-4, but may need to sit for a year and get coached up on the position, while he also adds some muscle. I still think Mingo and Skov would be a great 1-2 draft. Never gonna happen though, because I just jinxed it.

Yeah Ogeltree declared

http://scoutingthegridiron.wordpress.com/2012/12/12/2013-nfl-draft-underclassman-declarations/

http://www.draftcountdown.com/features/Underclassmen.php

CanuckCurtain
01-06-2013, 02:16 PM
Did you guys watch any of the bowl games and if so did it change your view on certain players that the steelers could possibly draft?

tburhans
01-06-2013, 02:44 PM
I've watched a bunch of bowl games. Ogletree is a great athlete at the linebacker spot. Matt Elam really lays the wood like clark. I didn't see much of the lsu game but I've read the reports that mingo played exceptional. Alex Okafor from texas was a sack machine in his bowl game. Later round guy who surprised me was margus hunt from.smu. He's 6' 8 280 and is a relentless pass rusher. He was originally predicted to be a mid round pick but after his bowl game his stock is rising. But knowing the steelers front office you just never know who they are targeting

AgentGold007
01-06-2013, 06:56 PM
Personally I say:
Rd 1: Alex Okafor, DE/OLB
2: Monte Ball, RB
3: Baccari Rambo, S
4: QB
5: TE
6: ILB
7: WR or S

AgentGold007
01-06-2013, 07:04 PM
I've watched a bunch of bowl games. Ogletree is a great athlete at the linebacker spot. Matt Elam really lays the wood like clark. I didn't see much of the lsu game but I've read the reports that mingo played exceptional. Alex Okafor from texas was a sack machine in his bowl game. Later round guy who surprised me was margus hunt from.smu. He's 6' 8 280 and is a relentless pass rusher. He was originally predicted to be a mid round pick but after his bowl game his stock is rising. But knowing the steelers front office you just never know who they are targeting

I hate to over-react, but I would love to see the Steelers draft Margus Hunt. He reminds me of JJ Watt so much. But I admit, I only saw the one game, so who knows, but he was a beast out there. 6'8", 280 lbs, 4.6 40, amazing. Wonder how the Steelers feel about him...

Set-Man
01-06-2013, 09:25 PM
Watched Monte Ball live in the Rose Bowl. Nothing he did was that spectacular but he is definitely solid.

kan_t
01-06-2013, 10:30 PM
Personally I say:
Rd 1: Alex Okafor, DE/OLB
2: Monte Ball, RB
3: Baccari Rambo, S
4: QB
5: TE
6: ILB
7: WR or S
Okafor is the kind of player who may slip to second round after the combine. If the Steelers want to take him, I hope they trade down.

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-06-2013, 10:34 PM
Watched Monte Ball live in the Rose Bowl. Nothing he did was that spectacular but he is definitely solid.

Yes and considering that RB's are somewhat devalued in todays NFL. He may be still sitting there in round 3.

Sad thing is that I think Mendenhall has better skills than Ball, but he cant seem to stay out of the Tomlin doghouse.

Hawaii 5-0
01-06-2013, 10:39 PM
Sad thing is that I think Mendenhall has better skills than Ball, but he cant seem to stay out of the Tomlin doghouse.

Mendy needs to close his Twitter account...

Steeldude
01-06-2013, 11:46 PM
If the Steelers draft an OLB then I hope it's an OLB, not a DE they hope to change into a OLB.

Okafor? How would he be in pass coverage and setting the edge? I don't want another Woodley.

Blackout
01-07-2013, 09:18 PM
Teo, the most overrated player in the history of CFB.

And he is getting schooled in this BCS game.

SteelersCanada
01-07-2013, 09:25 PM
Te'o is not looking like an elite prospect right now. He's looking borderline average, actually.

cbrunn
01-07-2013, 09:40 PM
Te'o is not looking like an elite prospect right now. He's looking borderline average, actually.

He always does to me ... I've been saying he's over rated(one of my friends is a Notre Dame fan , all year I've been telling him he's over rated) , especially by some of the Steeler fans

Blackout
01-07-2013, 09:53 PM
Teo is costing himself so much money. I wish ESPN would run a graphic that looks the national debt in reverse

Hawaii 5-0
01-07-2013, 09:55 PM

no, he's not.

Te'o may very well be available now when the Steelers select at #17.

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-07-2013, 10:00 PM
no, he's not.

But I dont think he is worth the #17 pick. He should go 25-30, but hopefully goes top 10.

Dontari Poe thinks he is overrated.

casteeler
01-07-2013, 10:03 PM
Te'o plays like a current Steeler.Miss the tackle and make damn sure you don't wrap up :chuckle:

kan_t
01-07-2013, 10:14 PM
Any chance of him being free fall to second round?

no, he's not.

I know it's small sample size. He may be very good in other games. But I rather take the chance on someone like Mingo, Jordan or Ansah at #17 now.

Steeler7BR
01-07-2013, 10:17 PM
My Draftboard for the steelers would be:

First of all trade 1. Round for 2nd 3rd and maybe a late but don't have to.

2nd Round
Sean Porter OLB Texas A&M
Raw Talent. Could be a very good speed rushing Linebacker. Like him very much in the Dick Lebeau Zone Blitz scheme could be very good in coverage too. But it also would be a risky pick because if his pass rush can't transpire into the League he would be a bust.

2nd Round
David Amerson CB NC State
Don't think he is 2nd Round worth because of his great junior season with 13 INTs. He is kind of riskey , but his ball hawking skils are amazing and he could very well translate into a a big shoot down corner. Like his upside. Could also translate into a Saftey, because of his lack of speed.

3rd Round
Bacarri Rambo S Georgia
Great Player. He has the speed the vision for a saftey. Could contribute well in the running game and has the monster body for a saftey. We have to get this guy. If his stock is rising till the draft I would go for him in the sacound round and look around for something diffrent than Amerson.

3rd Round
Joseph Randle RB Oklahoma State
I think we also have to take our chances at Running Back this year in the draft. If he declares he would be great. He has great speed at 6'1''. He is defenitly no Back who runs over every defender and fals forward all the time but he has the option to put up some weight. But not at cost of his speed this will be his bread and butter. I think he very well could be a great No. 1 back for us.

That would be my picks for the first 3 Rounds.

SteelersCanada
01-07-2013, 10:24 PM
Despite his play tonight, the rest of his tape almost solidifies him as a top 15 pick. He'll go to the Saints or Chargers. He won't be there at 17, but that might not be such a bad thing. Dion Jordan, Arthur Brown or Barkevious Mingo for us at 17, please.

Blackout
01-07-2013, 10:40 PM
Teo is as overrated as ND

kan_t
01-07-2013, 10:40 PM
Despite his play tonight, the rest of his tape almost solidifies him as a top 15 pick. He'll go to the Saints or Chargers. He won't be there at 17, but that might not be such a bad thing. Dion Jordan, Arthur Brown or Barkevious Mingo for us at 17, please.

Did you watch Ansah? He's also regarded as a high upside but raw talent like Jordan and Mingo.

SteelersCanada
01-07-2013, 10:57 PM
Did you watch Ansah? He's also regarded as a high upside but raw talent like Jordan and Mingo.

I've watched a little bit of it and, for the most part, I liked what I saw. I wasn't impressed or blown away, but he seemed to be good - not great - when given the opportunity. There's two knocks on him, though: 1) he's a little big to be a 3-4 OLB. He's 6'6 270 and best projects to me as a 4-3 DE. He reminds me a little bit of JPP in terms of his size and strength, but not production. 2) he's raw, like you said. Mingo and Jordan are both considered 'raw' prospects, but they're leaps and bounds more ready for a 3-4 system than Ezekiel is.

I don't expect the Steelers to take a shot at him unless our defensive scheme changes. If we do in fact change to a 4-3 scheme then there's a very good chance we take him. All that being said, I think he'll go to the Giants in this years draft.

cbrunn
01-07-2013, 11:13 PM
I've watched a little bit of it and, for the most part, I liked what I saw. I wasn't impressed or blown away, but he seemed to be good - not great - when given the opportunity. There's two knocks on him, though: 1) he's a little big to be a 3-4 OLB. He's 6'6 270 and best projects to me as a 4-3 DE. He reminds me a little bit of JPP in terms of his size and strength, but not production. 2) he's raw, like you said. Mingo and Jordan are both considered 'raw' prospects, but they're leaps and bounds more ready for a 3-4 system than Ezekiel is.

I don't expect the Steelers to take a shot at him unless our defensive scheme changes. If we do in fact change to a 4-3 scheme then there's a very good chance we take him. All that being said, I think he'll go to the Giants in this years draft.

Don't Ansah Play 3-4 DE in college? ... I think he'd be a great 3-4 DE ... but can't afford to take another one of those ... unless Hood moves to NT, which just wouldn't be smart

But they really need to take Chance Warmack , leaps and bounds better then Colon and or Foster ... Imagine a run game behind Warmack , Pouncey, Decastro , Adams

will be another top 10 talent guard that will fall cause guards aren't regarded as high as other positions ...

Fingers crossed no Te'o please

SteelersCanada
01-07-2013, 11:21 PM
Don't Ansah Play 3-4 DE in college? ... I think he'd be a great 3-4 DE ... but can't afford to take another one of those ... unless Hood moves to NT, which just wouldn't be smart

But they really need to take Chance Warmack , leaps and bounds better then Colon and or Foster ... Imagine a run game behind Warmack , Pouncey, Decastro , Adams

will be another top 10 talent guard that will fall cause guards aren't regarded as high as other positions ...

Fingers crossed no Te'o please

The difference between a 3-4 DE in the collegiate level and the NFL is substantial. He's just not big enough and would get absolutely man-handled against the bigger and better tackles/guards in the NFL.

We don't need another OLinemen. We need to stop panicking and getting worried about our offensive line - they haven't even played together when they're all healthy yet. I absolutely cannot stress that point enough - we need to let them play as a healthy unit before taking yet another linemen in the higher rounds.

I wouldn't be terribly upset if we took Te'o. Look, players have bad games. While he doesn't necessarily look like an elite prospect this game, his prior play and other games on film have pretty much solidified him as a top-15 pick. All these comments on Twitter of 'I can hear his pockets getting lighter' and etc. are from people that just don't know any better. Look at previous drafts and tell me that everyone in the top-15 had excellent games throughout their final year in the collegiate level. Te'o's worst game just came at the worst possible time - on a national level in front of most of North America.

edit -- Also, something that's getting lost in the noise of Te'o's poor performance is the game that Nico Johnson is having. He's playing very well and is looking more like the Nico Johnson from last year, not this one. We might have to use a third round pick to snag him, but it would be a great pick. If we were to get someone like Mingo in the first, Amerson in the second and Johnson in the third, our defense would be set. Then, we could shift focus to offense if we so choose.

cbrunn
01-07-2013, 11:31 PM
The difference between a 3-4 DE in the collegiate level and the NFL is substantial. He's just not big enough and would get absolutely man-handled against the bigger and better tackles/guards in the NFL.

We don't need another OLinemen. We need to stop panicking and getting worried about our offensive line - they haven't even played together when they're all healthy yet. I absolutely cannot stress that point enough - we need to let them play as a healthy unit before taking yet another linemen in the higher rounds.

I wouldn't be terribly upset if we took Te'o. Look, players have bad games. While he doesn't necessarily look like an elite prospect this game, his prior play and other games on film have pretty much solidified him as a top-15 pick. All these comments on Twitter of 'I can hear his pockets getting lighter' and etc. are from people that just don't know any better. Look at previous drafts and tell me that everyone in the top-15 had excellent games throughout their final year in the collegiate level. Te'o's worst game just came at the worst possible time - on a national level in front of most of North America.

I've never seen an elite prospect when watching Te'o

Why not need another Oline ... who is better unless a pass rusher falls??...
Warmack is head and shoulders better than Colon and Foster ... not to mention he is a Leader

Foster = Great backup , OK starter ... you expect a lot of holes with him?
Colon = Over rated , never healthy , Penalties, horrible contract extension

LG is a need , and to be able to get a top 10 Player in the draft ... is better than reaching on potential at a "position of need or sexier pick"

let PPL play ... why not let Worilds actually play, or Chris Carter(Injury Prone too) , before you just phase them out

zcoop
01-07-2013, 11:39 PM

Warmack is head and shoulders better than Colon and Foster ... not to mention he is a Leader

LG is a need , and to be able to get a top 10 Player in the draft ... is better than reaching on potential at a "position of need or sexier pick"

let PPL play ... why not let Worilds actually play, or Chris Carter(Injury Prone too) , before you just phase them out

Te'o was overrated to begin with. Notre Dame doesn't play many tough teams. LBs on the bottom tier SEC teams are in his class.

SteelersCanada
01-07-2013, 11:46 PM

We don't need to keep taking offensive linemen in the high rounds because they haven't played together yet, man. We haven't seen the line of ...

Gilbert - Foster / Beachum - Pouncey - DeCastro - Adams

... yet and thus we don't need to take any more OLinemen. Let's see how this line does and then decide whether or not we have to rebuild our line.

You said a couple of different things in the last few sentences, so you're going to have to clarify a little bit, but here's what I got:

It's not about taking a 'sexy pick', it's about addressing our defense first because of the decline in play of aging veterans. Our defense needs to be the first 3, maybe 4, picks in the draft this year. This ties into Jason Worilds and Chris Carter - they haven't shown anything yet. Worilds has shown he can play LOLB, but he struggles mightily on the right side which is what he was drafted for. If he can't replace Harrison, he has no business playing on this team.

It just so happens this year that a 'sexy pick' is also our biggest need. Sometimes it just works out that way.

PhantomJB93
01-08-2013, 12:20 AM
Yeah I can't really defend trading up for Te'o after that game, but I still think we should take him at 17 if he's there over a pass rusher. His instincts and playmaking skills are ridiculous and he would thrive in our defense. He's not the best athlete so his stock will fall even further at the combine, but his smarts and instincts are what will make him an elite ILB at the next level, just like Ray Lewis (who I know we all love to hate but Te'o is of the same mold without the ego and murder). His failure to wrap up tackles in this game today were completely uncharacteristic of his play all season and I don't think this one game where literally NOTHING went right for anyone on ND warrants him in particular these "overrated" comments.

lloydwoodson
01-08-2013, 12:29 AM
His failure to wrap up tackles in this game today were completely uncharacteristic of his play all season and I don't think this one game where literally NOTHING went right for anyone on ND warrants him in particular these "overrated" comments.

I like your style.

wwhickok
01-08-2013, 07:47 AM
Yeah I can't really defend trading up for Te'o after that game, but I still think we should take him at 17 if he's there over a pass rusher. His instincts and playmaking skills are ridiculous and he would thrive in our defense. He's not the best athlete so his stock will fall even further at the combine, but his smarts and instincts are what will make him an elite ILB at the next level, just like Ray Lewis (who I know we all love to hate but Te'o is of the same mold without the ego and murder). His failure to wrap up tackles in this game today were completely uncharacteristic of his play all season and I don't think this one game where literally NOTHING went right for anyone on ND warrants him in particular these "overrated" comments.

Exactly why I hope we draft him and the kid is a leader.

steelfury02
01-08-2013, 09:01 AM
Exactly why I hope we draft him and the kid is a leader.

yea - the game and the opponent, in more ways than one - just looked too big for ND

if he was available would I take him for leadership alone? Hell yes - great great potential to be our next James Farrior type of guy for years to come IMO - I wouldn't trade up for him though - like I was thinking of before last night's game. That Crimson O-line looked NFL caliber next to what seemed like kids playing Div III football - so overly matched in size and strength it wasn't even fair really. You coudl have plugged in any of the next 3 teams and thereafter in NDs place and I think they would have gotten steamrolled as well last night.

cbrunn
01-08-2013, 11:44 AM
yea - the game and the opponent, in more ways than one - just looked too big for ND

if he was available would I take him for leadership alone? Hell yes - great great potential to be our next James Farrior type of guy for years to come IMO - I wouldn't trade up for him though - like I was thinking of before last night's game. That Crimson O-line looked NFL caliber next to what seemed like kids playing Div III football - so overly matched in size and strength it wasn't even fair really. You coudl have plugged in any of the next 3 teams and thereafter in NDs place and I think they would have gotten steamrolled as well last night.

Is a James Farrior type needed in todays NFL???

Fire Arians
01-08-2013, 12:40 PM
Any 1st-2nd round TE prospects? Thinking because of Miller's injury he might not be ready to go at the beginning of the season.

SteelersCanada
01-08-2013, 12:47 PM
Any 1st-2nd round TE prospects? Thinking because of Miller's injury he might not be ready to go at the beginning of the season.

Ertz from Stanford and Eifert from ND.

I would prefer us making a push to go and grab Martellus Bennett in free agency, though. Sure-hands and finds ways to get open in the red zone. He won't command a lot of cash which fits in perfectly for our current cap situation.

wwhickok
01-08-2013, 12:52 PM

I think Farrior types work just fine, but Farrior lost a BIG step with his age. I agree initially I said I would trade up to 10get to get Te'o. I wouldn't after last.night but at 17the I would take him with my pick in under 10 seconds.

cbrunn
01-08-2013, 01:47 PM
I think Farrior types work just fine, but Farrior lost a BIG step with his age. I agree initially I said I would trade up to 10get to get Te'o. I wouldn't after last.night but at 17the I would take him with my pick in under 10 seconds.

I would take the guy that whopped him , Chance Warmack ...and Cut Colon and sign Foster to be a swing backup

yes I know it will cost more this year since cutting Colon only frees up 1 mill... but it frees up space for later years

just a quick Mock

1 - Change Warmack - OG - Bama - the guys a beast enough said

2 - Logan Ryan - CB - Rutgers - Not necessarily a "need" but if he falls to us in the 2nd you can never have enough talented CBs and Ike will be a cap casualty soon...plus he plays like a Steeler

3 - Duke Williiams - SS - Nevada - good value here , sit behind troy and clark for a year and ready to take over

4 - Gerald Hodges - ILB - Penn State - would move inside most likely , but he's a beast

5- Michael Williams - TE - Bama - Great Run blocking TE with some Red zone ability

6 - Phillip Steward - OLB/ILB - Houston - not to sure if he played inside or outside or
really anything about him ... but his stats seem really interesting http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/phillip-steward-1.html ... Interviews say he thinks he's best at pass coverage ...

7 - MarQueis Gray - WR - Minnesota - Big Body QB/WR , he played both in college ... maybe a project but he's a big body

lloydwoodson
01-08-2013, 01:48 PM
Ertz from Stanford and Eifert from ND.

I would prefer us making a push to go and grab Martellus Bennett in free agency, though. Sure-hands and finds ways to get open in the red zone. He won't command a lot of cash which fits in perfectly for our current cap situation.

Hi, I'm Stephen A Smith. You may remember me from such rants as "Kwame Brown has NO BUSINESS being near the ball in the 4th quarter" or "Jamarcus Russell has no shame." I love Martellus Bennett like a brother... it pains me to say this... but the Pittsburgh Steelers would be out of their minds to sign him!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrDvkkGvPTE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrDvkkGvPTE

:rofl:

SteelersCanada
01-08-2013, 02:14 PM
Hi, I'm Stephen A Smith. You may remember me from such rants as "Kwame Brown has NO BUSINESS being near the ball in the 4th quarter" or "Jamarcus Russell has no shame." I love Martellus Bennett like a brother... it pains me to say this... but the Pittsburgh Steelers would be out of their minds to sign him!

Broken link brah! Are all the YouTube tags on this site down or are most of us just not using them properly? I'm confused.

Darkstorm05
01-08-2013, 02:33 PM
Broken link brah! Are all the YouTube tags on this site down or are most of us just not using them properly? I'm confused.

They aren't being entered properly. You're supposed to enter just the video ID, not the entire URL.

SteelersCanada
01-08-2013, 02:38 PM
They aren't being entered properly. You're supposed to enter just the video ID, not the entire URL.

Gotcha.

Lloyd, here's the video that you linked:

NrDvkkGvPTE

This just in, Stephen A. Smith is still a ranting lunatic that overreacts to everything in sports media. How these two even have jobs still is amazing to me. They love to talk and say absolutely nothing at all and yet, their fanbases are huge?

steelfury02
01-08-2013, 02:39 PM

His tackling (in his prime especially), assignment smarts, and leadership are always needed

What is today's NFL anyways?

You still need a team that can either run or win TOP, or, if you're the best - you are in the top half of the league in both.
We'll still need a team that can be tops in run stuffing and pass protecting, primarily though - we need better pass rush so we keep these LBs jobs a little more simpler IMO

I'm never 100% sold on anyone - but, there would be worst mistakes taken in the 1st round - isn't any pick a gamble?

SteelersCanada
01-08-2013, 02:46 PM
I'm never 100% sold on anyone - but, there would be worst mistakes taken in the 1st round - isn't any pick a gamble?

If we're gambling on players, I'd like to see us taking Jordan over Te'o. My biggest fear is that Te'o has already hit his ceiling and can't progress any further - this is as good as he's going to get. While that isn't necessarily such a bad thing, when it's put in that light it makes me a little more cautious about taking him that early. Guys like Mingo and Jordan are more questionable prospects, but have much more potential and a much higher ceiling than Te'o does.

If we're going to gamble here, let's go with the prospect that has more room to grow but when he (they) do grow, look out.

steelfury02
01-08-2013, 02:57 PM
If we're gambling on players, I'd like to see us taking Jordan over Te'o. My biggest fear is that Te'o has already hit his ceiling and can't progress any further - this is as good as he's going to get. While that isn't necessarily such a bad thing, when it's put in that light it makes me a little more cautious about taking him that early. Guys like Mingo and Jordan are more questionable prospects, but have much more potential and a much higher ceiling than Te'o does.

If we're going to gamble here, let's go with the prospect that has more room to grow but when he (they) do grow, look out.

ok - so you're say grow past where Te'o is? gotcha

I'd think though - and I would love who you pointing out as well - they'd have plenty of growing to do with our 3-4 no matter who they were - Te'o could in fact be even better - who knows - I would be happy with any of these dudes

teegre
01-08-2013, 03:53 PM

I believe that he was referring to leadership.

Regardless, I would take the 2005 Farrior on ANY team... now... in the 70s... in ten years.

steelfury02
01-08-2013, 04:04 PM
I believe that he was referring to leadership.

Regardless, I would take the 2005 Farrior on ANY team... now... in the 70s... in ten years.

If Ray Lewis didn't do his stupid pre-game dance that somehow managed to entrance just about every media member and HOF vote, more people would talk about Farrior IMO. Extremely underrated and undervalued player - even in his later years

teegre
01-08-2013, 04:06 PM
I posted this in another thread, but it got not response. I truly think that of all of the years for the Steelers to trade DOWN, this is the perfect year.

Read more:
http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=95572&page=7

The truncated version:
Six teams in the top 10 need a QB. But, this QB crop does not really deserve to go top 10. Dallas is looking to take a QB at 18 (right behind the Steelers). I foresee one fo those six teams trading up, in front of Dallas, for a QB... akin to what Baltimore did when they traded up for Joe Flacco.

teegre
01-08-2013, 04:09 PM
If Ray Lewis didn't do his stupid pre-game dance that somehow managed to entrance just about every media member and HOF vote, more people would talk about Farrior IMO. Extremely underrated and undervalued player - even in his later years

Agreed.

In 2005, when Ed Reed got the DPOY, Farrior was the better LB than Lewis. Sure, Ray is a great player, but in that year, Farrior was LT-esque.

Speaking of that dance, my mother-in-law saw that dance and was like, "Who the eff is that idiot!?!" Ha, ha, ha... even caual bystanders are offended by his theatrics. Limo drivers, too. (Too soon?)

desertsteel
01-08-2013, 04:20 PM
Best PLAYMAKER on the board regardless of position.

SteelersCanada
01-08-2013, 04:46 PM
If we're sitting on the board in the second round and Cordarrelle Patterson is on the board, we just found our Wallace replacement. I'm not even necessarily against trading back to the 25ish spot and taking him, assuming Jordan, Mingo and Elam are all off the board.

WokeUpWithaWoodley
01-08-2013, 06:57 PM
If we're sitting on the board in the second round and Cordarrelle Patterson is on the board, we just found our Wallace replacement. I'm not even necessarily against trading back to the 25ish spot and taking him, assuming Jordan, Mingo and Elam are all off the board.

Patterson stock has been rising and a few reports have him no higher than mid second. If the steelers like him they would most likely have to trade up in second.

I do hope we address the wr position early on. Other guys I would target would be quitton Patton, Stedman bailey, and Chris Harper (Hines ward mold).

The more and more I look at the draft I hope we do trade back in the first to acquire a extra second or third.

teegre
01-08-2013, 07:00 PM
The more and more I look at the draft I hope we do trade back in the first to acquire a extra second or third.

That's what I've been thinking, too. This is a deep draft, and better to have a late R1 and two R2 picks.

As far as WR goes:
IF they go WR, I like Tavon Austin, WVU.

I know that others want a tall WR, but this kid is dynamic. He is smart, explosive, and a threat from anywhere (can take a short pass the distance, as well as, can be a deep threat).

SteelersCanada
01-08-2013, 07:08 PM

Like anything, there's positives and negatives to it. If Jordan or Mingo is on the board at 17, we can't really afford to give up a prospect like those two. The drop off of pass-rushing talent is significant from the first to the second. Despite what most of the guys on CBS Draft will tell you, guys Corey Lemonier aren't ready to be a premier 3-4 OLB right now.

If we do trade back, I'd love us taking Patterson in the first round. He's just as fast as Wallace, but runs better routes (slightly) and makes better plays in open space. I think this kid has the potential to be a great WR for us, so I wouldn't mind using a first rounder on him despite the heavy amount of defensive talent in this draft.

Assuming this scenario plays out, it would look something like ...

Trade from 17 to 25
R1. Cordarrelle Patterson / Tennessee - WR
R2. David Amerson / NC State Wolfpack - CB converted to FS for us
R3. Nico Johnson / 'Bama - ILB
R4. Robert Lester / 'Bama - SS

I wouldn't be upset with that. However, I'd still take Dion Jordan in the first and Robert Woods in the second as another, more likely scenario.

edit -- I don't know how many of you guys follow Matt Miller on twitter (@nfldraftscout) but he knows his stuff. In his latest mock, he has Arthur Brown being our first round pick and I gotta say, I don't hate it. I'd have to go back and watch some more of this kid to see what's what with him, but saying he's a '... better NFL linebacker [than Te'o]' caught my eye and of course, interested me. Here's what he had to say in his latest mock.

17. Pittsburgh Steelers

Arthur Brown, ILB, Kansas State

In last week's mock draft, the Pittsburgh Steelers were able to pick up Manti Te'o. This week doesn't reward them with Te'o, but they may have a better NFL linebacker in Arthur Brown.

If you haven't seen Brown play yet, do yourself a favor and at least YouTube clips of the Kansas State inside linebacker. Wearing No. 4, Brown has been a wrecking ball for the defense, showing off rare speed moving laterally and great vision to locate and get to the football.

Brown won't enter the league with the hype of Manti Te'o, but he's a more athletic option at inside linebacker. For the Pittsburgh Steelers, that's not a bad thing. Put Brown next to Lawrence Timmons at middle linebacker, and you have a duo to rival the one in San Francisco.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1472715-2013-nfl-mock-draft-latest-projections-after-wildcard-playoffs/page/18

-- Matt Miller, Bleacher Report

The first thing that jumps out to me is the comparison to Willis and Bowman. I believe that Timmons is probably the most underrated ILB in the NFL right now, but I'm also bias. However, that gets me excited. Timmons is already an outstanding 'Backer and if he could play with someone like Brown that would complement his abilities and give the opportunity to Timmons and allow him to blitz and disrupt, then our defense just improved mightily with one pick.

Here's a video of Arthur Brown against the Hurricanes:

V28z8J3QbtY

WokeUpWithaWoodley
01-08-2013, 07:40 PM
Like anything, there's positives and negatives to it. If Jordan or Mingo is on the board at 17, we can't really afford to give up a prospect like those two. The drop off of pass-rushing talent is significant from the first to the second. Despite what most of the guys on CBS Draft will tell you, guys Corey Lemonier aren't ready to be a premier 3-4 OLB right now.

If we do trade back, I'd love us taking Patterson in the first round. He's just as fast as Wallace, but runs better routes (slightly) and makes better plays in open space. I think this kid has the potential to be a great WR for us, so I wouldn't mind using a first rounder on him despite the heavy amount of defensive talent in this draft.

Trade from 17 to 25

I wouldn't be upset with that. However, I'd still take Dion Jordan in the first and Robert Woods in the second as another, more likely scenario.

edit -- I don't know how many of you guys follow Matt Miller on twitter (@nfldraftscout) but he knows his stuff. In his latest mock, he has Arthur Brown being our first round pick and I gotta say, I don't hate it. I'd have to go back and watch some more of this kid to see what's what with him, but saying he's a '... better NFL linebacker [than Te'o]' caught my eye and of course, interested me. Here's what he had to say in his latest mock.

17. Pittsburgh Steelers

In last week's mock draft, the Pittsburgh Steelers were able to pick up Manti Te'o. This week doesn't reward them with Te'o, but they may have a better NFL linebacker in Arthur Brown.

If you haven't seen Brown play yet, do yourself a favor and at least YouTube clips of the Kansas State inside linebacker. Wearing No. 4, Brown has been a wrecking ball for the defense, showing off rare speed moving laterally and great vision to locate and get to the football.

Brown won't enter the league with the hype of Manti Te'o, but he's a more athletic option at inside linebacker. For the Pittsburgh Steelers, that's not a bad thing. Put Brown next to Lawrence Timmons at middle linebacker, and you have a duo to rival the one in San Francisco.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1472715-2013-nfl-mock-draft-latest-projections-after-wildcard-playoffs/page/18

The first thing that jumps out to me is the comparison to Willis and Bowman. I believe that Timmons is probably the most underrated ILB in the NFL right now, but I'm also bias. However, that gets me excited. Timmons is already an outstanding 'Backer and if he could play with someone like Brown that would complement his abilities and give the opportunity to Timmons and allow him to blitz and disrupt, then our defense just improved mightily with one pick.

Here's a video of Arthur Brown against the Hurricanes:

V28z8J3QbtY

I saw that article to and made me think about that pick. I do like the kid as a linebacker and drafting him would allows to move back in the first to so do. He is a fast player who is instinctive but like most will need to bulk up just a little but is Someone who would be able to drop in coverage to allow Timmons to do what he does best. The kid can also lay the wood.

WokeUpWithaWoodley
01-08-2013, 07:41 PM
I think most of us agree that outside and inside linebacker safety and wr r the most pressing needs come this april

pete74
01-08-2013, 07:52 PM
A lot of people here seem to think Te'o is the next Brian Urlacher but after watching him get completely manhandled by the Alabama offensive line I just don't see it. He's a big linebacker so he should be a lot stronger then he looked. I'm not saying I wouldn't want him but he definatly got pushed around by the Alabama NFL size lineman and needs some serious work before he can start and make an impact

Hawaii 5-0
01-08-2013, 07:56 PM
Walterfootball is a very knowledgeable and reputable draft site:

1(17) Pittsburgh Steelers: Manti Te'o, ILB, Notre Dame

I think this is a good spot for Manti Te'o. He was brutal in the national championship, but that shouldn't erase all of his other great tape. He's still the favorite to be the first inside linebacker off the board, and the 16-25 range seems right for him. Besides, this is the type of move the Steelers normally make. They often are able to snag talented prospects who fall to them later in the first round for whatever reason.

The Steelers have shown interest in first-round inside linebackers. They wanted Dont'a Hightower last April, but David DeCastro was just too good to pass up at No. 24 overall. Pittsburgh still has to find an inside linebacker because Larry Foote was awful this year. He finished near the top of dubious rankings like missed tackles and touchdowns allowed by players at his position.

Pick change; previously Barkevious Mingo, DE/OLB LSU

http://www.walterfootball.com/draft2013_1.php

WokeUpWithaWoodley
01-08-2013, 08:04 PM
I also would think khaseem Greene could be a good ilb next to timmons although most have him as a olb. A former safety converted to linebacker good in coverage understands coverage, fast and pretty stronger. Get be a steal in late 2 or 3

lipps83
01-08-2013, 08:43 PM
A lot of people here seem to think Te'o is the next Brian Urlacher but after watching him get completely manhandled by the Alabama offensive line I just don't see it. He's a big linebacker so he should be a lot stronger then he looked. I'm not saying I wouldn't want him but he definatly got pushed around by the Alabama NFL size lineman and needs some serious work before he can start and make an impact

That's one game against Alabama. They have an offensive line that NFL teams would love to have.

Like Walterfootball.com said, that shouldn't erase his college career.

The kid can play ball. That doesn't mean he will be a great linebacker in the NFL, it never does with any player in any position. I do think it would be worth the gamble if he is available when we pick.

cbrunn
01-08-2013, 09:13 PM
If not taking Chance Warmack ... I love the trade back idea... i'd even trade out of the 1st round, to get a future 1st (CJ Mosely , Anthony Barr , Kyle Van Noy next year)

Using Walterfootball.com new mock to make the selections
Miami has 2 2nds and 2 3rds ... well they want to jump back up in the 1st to secure the best WR Keenan Allen

1st - Trade with Miami - receive their later 2nd, 3rd, 4th and future 1st

2nd (48) - Kasheem Green - ILB - Rutgers - I think would be nice ILB with Timmons, could also play outside if needed, tackling machine

2nd (54 from Miami) - David Amerson - FS/CB - NC State - need some splash plays and gives versatility

3rd (77 from Miami) - Da'Rick Rodgers - WR - Louisiana Tech - Troubled pass but take a flyer on him

3rd (79) - Logan Ryan - CB - Rutgers - Plays like a Steeler , Ike getting older , Lewis and Cortez showed they got what it takes, but what about behind them??

4th (108 from Miami) - Mike Gillislee - RB - Flordia - A beast with low miles on the tires, Dwyer and Gillislee would be a good Duo I think, with Gillislee taking over full time duty possibly

4th (112) - Duke Williams - SS - Nevada - can run with receivers/ TEs ... and decent tackler ...

WokeUpWithaWoodley
01-08-2013, 09:21 PM
If not taking Chance Warmack ... I love the trade back idea... i'd even trade out of the 1st round, to get a future 1st (CJ Mosely , Anthony Barr , Kyle Van Noy next year)

Using Walterfootball.com new mock to make the selections
Miami has 2 2nds and 2 3rds ... well they want to jump back up in the 1st to secure the best WR Keenan Allen

1st - Trade with Miami - receive their later 2nd, 3rd, 4th and future 1st

2nd (48) - Kasheem Green - ILB - Rutgers - I think would be nice ILB with Timmons, could also play outside if needed, tackling machine

2nd (54 from Miami) - David Amerson - FS/CB - NC State - need some splash plays and gives versatility

3rd (77 from Miami) - Da'Rick Rodgers - WR - Louisiana Tech - Troubled pass but take a flyer on him

3rd (79) - Logan Ryan - CB - Rutgers - Plays like a Steeler , Ike getting older , Lewis and Cortez showed they got what it takes, but what about behind them??

4th (108 from Miami) - Mike Gillislee - RB - Flordia - A beast with low miles on the tires, Dwyer and Gillislee would be a good Duo I think, with Gillislee taking over full time duty possibly

4th (112) - Duke Williams - SS - Nevada - can run with receivers/ TEs ... and decent tackler ...

Although that would me nice. You won't get hat much value trading back especially not all those picks plus a first next year

cbrunn
01-08-2013, 09:33 PM
Although that would me nice. You won't get hat much value trading back especially not all those picks plus a first next year

Your right probably just a 2nd and next year 1st ... lol But I like too many players

I would take off Da'Rick Rodgers and Gillislee in that case

cbrunn
01-08-2013, 09:38 PM

Trade from 17 to 25

I would like this , Although I like Lacy better at RB ... but either way I would be happy

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-08-2013, 09:44 PM
17. Pittsburgh Steelers

Arthur Brown is 6'1" 228lbs and a transfer from Miami. He is a smaller and more athletic LB than an inside run stuffer. Would be a weakside OLB in the NFL.

Sean Spence is 5'11" 231lbs and a similar athletic, but smallish LB from Miami. A guy that is more instinctive and a better student of the game than Brown. Watch tape of them both and there is no need to draft Brown, if Spence is back from injury this year.

That's one game against Alabama. They have an offensive line that NFL teams would love to have.

Like Walterfootball.com said, that shouldn't erase his college career.

The kid can play ball. That doesn't mean he will be a great linebacker in the NFL, it never does with any player in any position. I do think it would be worth the gamble if he is available when we pick.

With Te'o, the tape he put up is against some weak teams that they almost lost to. He got caught in the Notre Dame hype machine and he isnt as impressive as most think. I think he gambles and shoots gaps too often. I would like to see him in the Senior Bowl or Shrine Game and see how he responds to playing ILB where he isnt given free reign.

IMO, Te'o should go #25-35 in the draft, but he might not be too bad of a reach at #17. He is more like Paul Pozluzny or James Laurinitis than Patrick Willis or Junior Seau IMO.