PDA

View Full Version : Will James Harrison Be Back In 2013?

VictoryFormation
12-25-2012, 12:08 PM
James Harrison will be 35 at the start of next season. Before the 2009 season, Harrison signed a $51 million dollar, six year deal with the Steelers. He is expected to make over $5.3 million in 2013, all of which counts against the salary cap.

Last August, Harrison underwent arthroscopic knee surgery, which was slow healing, causing him to miss the first four games of this season. When he came back, he did not return to100% the entire season and it showed in his play on the field. Harrison claims that he will be back to full speed next year, but that has yet to be proven.

The questions are: Do the Steelers keep an aging linebacker, with a bad knee, that will cost them over 5 million dollars against the cap in 2013? Do they replace him with Jason Worilds, a 2010 second round pick, who, coming of an injury himself, excelled as a backup this season?

SteelersCanada
12-25-2012, 12:12 PM
Not at that cap hit he isn't. He's still not 100% and at 35, I doubt he's ever going to be again. He was a shell of his former self when he came back and isn't worth the money. I also don't think Worilds is the answer and they're going to have to draft an outside 'backer to play opposite Woodley.

Darkstorm05
12-25-2012, 12:50 PM
His cap hit next year is actually 10 and some change. Troy's will be the same, and I wouldn't keep either.

Millers the sh!t
12-25-2012, 12:58 PM
I say keep him. He adds that nasty attitude and turn over factor this defense was neglecting us fans last season. James was starting to look like the James we all knew more and more each week. It took a few weeks to knock the rust off but he was consistently getting better and I believe in the last two weeks alone he made more sacks and turnovers than Woodley has all season. If James is healthy and doesn't require any surgeries or downtime this off season, I say let the man stay. If they let Aaron smith keep the pine bench warm for two seasons then I say let James stay for the 2013 season. James is a fucking beast man.... If he were healthy all season we'd probably have an extra 5-7 sacks and 2+ forced fumble turnovers. The man is a fumble forcing machine when healthy..... Which hopefully hell be all off season.

harrison'samonster
12-25-2012, 01:08 PM
At this point there's really no telling. I wouldn't be surprised either way. He has been looking like he could lose a little bit of weight, but what the hell do I know? He definitely did a good job getting back to playing at a higher level, just not the level we expect from him.

We all knew this was going to be an issue when they gave him a 6 yr contract when he was what 30-31? They must have had a plan at the time.

The front office is going to have to figure out who's worth keeping, who they want to invest in, and all that. I think Harrison should take a cut, but I don't think that will ever happen.

Millers the sh!t
12-25-2012, 01:09 PM
His cap hit next year is actually 10 and some change. Troy's will be the same, and I wouldn't keep either.

Damn for real? That's a lot of cash. You think we could get trades for any of them?

The Rooney way of not keeping players past their primes has kind of went out the window ever since uncle Tomlin took over. I have a feeling both men stay next season...... Weather they should or not. You have to admit though Silverback was getting better every week and was contributing to the team with big sacks and turnovers in key moments of many games...

WVABE
12-25-2012, 01:37 PM
I would have to sit both James and Troy down and give them an altimatum.
Slim down, stay physical, and take a pay cut and if you don't like that, theres the door.
No hard feelings.

harrison'samonster
12-25-2012, 02:48 PM
Slim down, stay physical, and take a pay cut and if you don't like that, theres the door.
No hard feelings.

sounds fair to me. These are two players that, if healthy all season, will give us a legitimate chance at competing for a SB. Coaches and FO are just going to have to determine whether they have the players to fill in behind these two, or if there is a player that we need to invest in (Wallace for example). We'll see were they go, but like I said, wouldn't be surprised either way.

Darkstorm05
12-25-2012, 04:16 PM
Damn for real? That's a lot of cash. You think we could get trades for any of them?

The Rooney way of not keeping players past their primes has kind of went out the window ever since uncle Tomlin took over. I have a feeling both men stay next season...... Weather they should or not. You have to admit though Silverback was getting better every week and was contributing to the team with big sacks and turnovers in key moments of many games...

This is true. Of the two of them losing Harrison would hurt worse, IMO. Going into this year all of Steeler Nation had a major hard on for Troy, with many claiming he was the only thing that was holding our D together. I wasn't on board with that, and think this season proved we'll be fine without him. When the coaches had no choice but to push in the young players in the secondary, yes we had some bumps, but most of them came together and proved they could get it done. Lewis and Allen really came through. TBH, I think our young CB's do better in pass coverage when we have the more traditional safety role, instead of Troy roaming around wherever.

sloppyjoe
12-25-2012, 09:16 PM
look at the moeny that is being WASTED on polomalu, harrison and woodley

FrancoLambert
12-25-2012, 10:57 PM
I'd keep James and Troy ONE more year IF they are fully healthy.
Otherwise time to move forward.

Justp94
12-26-2012, 09:29 PM
James Harrison will be 35 at the start of next season. Before the 2009 season, Harrison signed a $51 million dollar, six year deal with the Steelers. He is expected to make over $5.3 million in 2013, all of which counts against the salary cap.

Last August, Harrison underwent arthroscopic knee surgery, which was slow healing, causing him to miss the first four games of this season. When he came back, he did not return to100% the entire season and it showed in his play on the field. Harrison claims that he will be back to full speed next year, but that has yet to be proven.

The questions are: Do the Steelers keep an aging linebacker, with a bad knee, that will cost them over 5 million dollars against the cap in 2013? Do they replace him with Jason Worilds, a 2010 second round pick, who, coming of an injury himself, excelled as a backup this season?

I say we wait and see if Harrison can get healthy over the offseason and if he can't then Jason Worilds is the Replacement until next years draft as we other issues to deal with in this draft like Cornerback, O-Line, D-Line & Inside backers with Foote possibly retiring.

steelerchad
12-27-2012, 01:48 PM
I'm afraid Harrison and Troy are both done. Neither has lived up to contract value the last 2 years and both are due to make more in 2013. You can't carry dead weight with a 47 man roster and a tight salary cap.

TRH
12-27-2012, 02:27 PM
At this point there's really no telling. I wouldn't be surprised either way. He has been looking like he could lose a little bit of weight, but what the hell do I know? He definitely did a good job getting back to playing at a higher level, just not the level we expect from him.

We all knew this was going to be an issue when they gave him a 6 yr contract when he was what 30-31? They must have had a plan at the time.

The front office is going to have to figure out who's worth keeping, who they want to invest in, and all that. I think Harrison should take a cut, but I don't think that will ever happen.

That is correct. Anything by the fans is pure speculation. It could go either way. The FO is going to have to make decisions this year. Its time for more "change". Better change.
What i DO think will happen is that there will likely be at least one, if not two, huge off-season jolts/announcements to come out of the team office that will shock everyone, no matter what they "say" they're expecting.
No question we have to trim a whole....bunch....of money.

BLACK_AND_YELLOW
12-27-2012, 02:36 PM
I'm afraid Harrison and Troy are both done. Neither has lived up to contract value the last 2 years and both are due to make more in 2013. You can't carry dead weight with a 47 man roster and a tight salary cap.

Even tho we lost he looked like the old Troy against the Bengals, he was everywhere

Steel Peon
12-27-2012, 04:00 PM
Will James Harrison Be Back In 2013?
Yes......he'll want to have at least one good year before he retires, so hold onto something for 2013.....same with Troy.

pete74
12-27-2012, 04:30 PM
We're already 12 million over the cap so we're definitely cutting someone big

Fire Haley
12-27-2012, 05:11 PM
I hope so

but I'd cut fatass Woodley's 295# in a heartbeat, Worilds can miss just as many tackles, cheaper too

austinfrench76
12-27-2012, 05:20 PM
This situation screasm RESTRUCTURE! Both, IMO, will restucture and we will keep both. At best, we keep troy. I couldn't imagine him playing elsewhere! I know he's not the same guy but when healthy he is still a beast!

Steel Peon
12-27-2012, 05:29 PM
look at the moeny that is being WASTED on polomalu, harrison and woodley

Edit: look at the moeny that is being WASTED on woodley

There.......I corrected your grammatical errors.

nj1923steelgirl
12-28-2012, 05:43 PM
No hard feelings.

That is how it has to be...both cannot make full salary....too much of a health risk...if they take a pay cut.....then keep them.....

VictoryFormation
12-29-2012, 04:35 AM
If the Steelers decide to bring back James Harrison, and Troy Polamalu, and they are able to renegotiate both of their contracts, that would be an ideal situation for the team. But, these guys are big-name players, with big-name agents. and big-time egos. Who knows if the Steelers would be able accomplish that.

Weakside linebacker, and strong safety are both key positions in the Lebeau defense. It’s a big gamble for the Steelers, having two starters at two key positions that they are not sure of. Both players will probably be playing hard against Cleveland. It will be their last chance to show what they can do at game speed before the end of the season.

jjpro11
12-29-2012, 06:11 AM
Maybe it's just a coincidence, but we didn't really start creating turnovers this year until Troy was playing healthy. I still think he is a lot more important to this defense than people are giving him credit for... But as everyone knows, his issue is staying healthy.

Harrison has looked better over the past few weeks.. I mean the guy did come into the season straight from rehabbing his knee and no training camp or anything. Whether or not the Steelers think his knee can hold up another season is the question they have to ask.

TRH
12-29-2012, 09:12 AM
Yes......he'll want to have at least one good year before he retires, so hold onto something for 2013.....same with Troy.

it doesn't matter what "he" wants. It only matters what the team does with the checkbook.

VictoryFormation
12-30-2012, 06:20 PM
The way James Harrison played in this last game against the Browns, they probably could have gotten more production from his backup. For the weakside linebacker that is supposed to pressure the quarterback, he didn't get through one time. He was poor against the outside run, not being able to bring runners down. And, he was ineffective in short pass coverage. I could be wrong, but I can't see him coming back.
Troy Polamalu, on the other hand, has slowed down, but he was still productive. There is a definite possibility that he could come back next season, and be a pretty good strong safety. Ryan Clark outplayed everybody in the secondary. It looked like he was covering Polamalu's zone, too.

harrison'samonster
12-30-2012, 06:26 PM
at this point, my guess is that Harrison won't be back next year. I'll be sorry to hear it for sure, I've absolutely loved watching that guy play for the Steelers.

My guess at this point is that Harrison, Hampton, and Wallace won't be back. Foote might retire instead of playing as a back-up. I think either Batch or Lefty goes as well. Keisel and Polamalu I think stay on for at least one more season. If we've seen them play their last game, want to wish them luck. It's been an honor watching them play this last decade.

pittpete
12-30-2012, 06:26 PM
The way James Harrison played in this last game against the Browns, they probably could have gotten more production from his backup. For the weakside linebacker that is supposed to pressure the quarterback, he didn't get through one time. He was poor against the outside run, not being able to bring runners down. And, he was ineffective in short pass coverage. I could be wrong, but I can't see him coming back.
Troy Polamalu, on the other hand, has slowed down, but he was still productive. There is a definite possibility that he could come back next season, and be a pretty good strong safety. Ryan Clark outplayed everybody in the secondary. It looked like he was covering Polamalu's zone, too.

Do you people actually watch the FN games?
He had 11 FN tackles and a sack.
He went up against one of the best LT's in the league.
Are you kidding me bro?

austinfrench76
12-30-2012, 06:38 PM
I will answer the question but I'm reading people say that it's a "waste" of money for these guys and someone threw Woodley in there too. Did we just finsih with the #1 ranked defense in the NFL? We had a chance to finish with the #1 rush adn pass Defense. That just doesn't happen out of nowhere. I mean, Harrison and Troy were hurt quite a bit this year but they are still VERY good players. Woodley usually turns it on in the 2nd half of the season, that didn't happen this year so he is the guy I'm most dissappointed in but they still had a very good Defense this year so c'mon with the "wasted" talk.

Having said that, I hope Harrison knows who he is now. Meaning, he is not worth that money. He is still the best OLB on our team but not a Top 5 OLB in the league. Troy IMO is different. I think he just needs to get 100% healthy. They do need to draft for the future at Safety, unless they REALLY like Golden. However; both need to resructure or 1 has to go. And that's probably Harrison. It will be another tough off season in regards to losing another group of core vets. Hampton, Harrison, Foote and Starks are prpbably gone. Sucks but true.

Curtain_of_Steel
12-30-2012, 07:03 PM
Harrison plays every down full bore when he is on the field. Troy takes half the game off. James will redo and make it cap friendly.

Troy is not worth half his salary, and Woodley was extremely dissappointed. However I feel any pull back from woodley and harrison is on Dick. He didnt adjust to the changing of the opposing teams Oline, you cant just pressure from the outside, everyone doesnt have the POS line that we have. You need to bring it up the middle. Dick never really adjusted the past 2 years.

Stairway2-7
12-30-2012, 09:27 PM
My Steelers app today reported from NFL.com that he wont be back. :(

hopefully thats not the case!

PhantomJB93
12-30-2012, 09:30 PM
Yeah as soon as our game was over reports were all over the place that he was basically gone. I personally didn't see us parting ways with him so fast but I guess if they can't restructure his deal and make enough space then it makes sense. I'll be sad to see him go though.

kan_t
12-30-2012, 09:45 PM
Due to the cap situation I think he is likely gone next year. He will be missed but it's business. The Steelers better draft a OLB in early rounds. I don't have much faith to Worilds.

Rick5895
12-31-2012, 03:36 AM
I read this morning that James wants to stay in Pitt and will re-structure his contract to make that happen if he is wanted

The_Joker
12-31-2012, 09:46 AM
I read this morning that James wants to stay in Pitt and will re-structure his contract to make that happen if he is wanted

Link? Good new for me, I want him back but not at prima donna money.

steeltheone
12-31-2012, 10:27 AM

His contract needs cut to a quarter of what it is....Not just a few mill off ....

defence
12-31-2012, 02:17 PM
I was hoping this would be the year to transition to a 4 3. Harrison would not be needed if they were to do this. If they stay in there 3 4 ; then if you can bring him back CHEAP; then do it. But in reality; I think it's time to move on and get younger talent in there. Same goes for Hampton. He played well as he got healthier. Woodley was bad too; so if we are asking about Harrison; the real question should be on Woodley. Lots of tough decisions!

Steeler7BR
01-03-2013, 10:50 AM
We have to bring James back there is no question. He is still a very important factor to our defense and we need him back.

Which would be no big of a deal if we reconstructure it which we hopefully do. I think then his cap charge is only 5 mil and a few which is a absolut great prize for a dude like James.

And I'm very shocked actually to here these things from all you steeler fans. This freekin' nature trained his butt of the last pre season to get back in shape. He flew to Arizona to make kind of an special oxygen training to get back in shape for 2012. Then right before pre season it was obious that he needs knee surgery and he worked again his butt of to come on the field as fast as he can and played great through the strech of the season. Definitly not 100% healthy all year and now you say he's not worth it? Common give this dude his well deserved pay check and let him come back for another one or two runs at the Vince Lombardi.

Another word maybe to Hampton and Woodly who actually had a way worse year then James. Hampton came in not healthy either and had great games in the 2nd half of the season and Woodly also was unhealthy all year very sad but not much you can do there.

Fire Arians
01-03-2013, 11:04 AM
time for worilds to step up.

madtowndrunkard
01-03-2013, 11:12 AM
Link? Good new for me, I want him back but not at prima donna money.

This is what needs to happen. Everyone is so quick to say good bye to Harrison because his sack numbers are down... what people are failing to see is his ability to stuff runs. Teams don't run at Harrison.... when they do it typically ends up being a loss of yards. That's huge for a defense...if you can take away that much of their game just from Harrison being on the field...how much easier is it for Dick Lebeau to execute his game plan?

As for Harrison I think it would be smart for him to take a pay cut... he'll still make the $ he wants... and he'll get to end his career were he wants. It's pretty clear Harrison looks up to DL. A new contract makes sense for both parties. I think Harrison stays.

madtowndrunkard
01-03-2013, 11:27 AM
Lets not forget there are plenty of other places to free up $.

We've got some aging vets that are still good... but want to retire as a steeler... those players will likely take pay cuts to finish their careers in Pittsburgh. The guys that are likely goners are the guys looking for their pay day... so say goodbye to Wallace, Lewis, Mendenhall.

Most of the savings can be found with restructured deals for guys like Ben, Woodley, Timmons, Troy, and Harrison. Then add the $ freed up by the departures of Wallace, Starks, Mendenhall...and possibly Hampton and Foote. I think we'll be running this offseason just like we always run our off season. Very few FA signings... a handful of restructured deals, and a solid draft.

I think we need to target a RB and ILB in this draft. We also need depth on the D-line and probably a starting corner back. Add these moves with a healthy 2nd season for DeCastro, Mike Adams... a healthy Gilbert, Colon, and Spence... I think we look pretty good.

Also I dont think Heath Millers salary counts against our cap if he's on the IR next season. IMO we need a playmaker on offense - don't care if it's a RB or WR... we need one. We also need help at corner if Lewis leaves... which I see happening.

kan_t
01-03-2013, 11:27 AM
We have to bring James back there is no question. He is still a very important factor to our defense and we need him back.

Which would be no big of a deal if we reconstructure it which we hopefully do. I think then his cap charge is only 5 mil and a few which is a absolut great prize for a dude like James.

And I'm very shocked actually to here these things from all you steeler fans. This freekin' nature trained his butt of the last pre season to get back in shape. He flew to Arizona to make kind of an special oxygen training to get back in shape for 2012. Then right before pre season it was obious that he needs knee surgery and he worked again his butt of to come on the field as fast as he can and played great through the strech of the season. Definitly not 100% healthy all year and now you say he's not worth it? Common give this dude his well deserved pay check and let him come back for another one or two runs at the Vince Lombardi.

Another word maybe to Hampton and Woodly who actually had a way worse year then James. Hampton came in not healthy either and had great games in the 2nd half of the season and Woodly also was unhealthy all year very sad but not much you can do there.
$5M cap charge is a lot to a team that is currently over $10M cap limit.

Steeler7BR
01-03-2013, 11:38 AM
We're about 10 mil under if we restructure LaMarr, James, Ben, Antonio and Lawrence. Do you really want to be 15 under with a rookie OLB or Worlids although I'm a fan of the game he brings to a table as a sub. I want the monster in place because we're making a hugh step away from the Lombardi without him.

GoFor7
01-03-2013, 11:59 AM
We're about 10 mil under if we restructure LaMarr, James, Ben, Antonio and Lawrence. Do you really want to be 15 under with a rookie OLB or Worlids although I'm a fan of the game he brings to a table as a sub. I want the monster in place because we're making a hugh step away from the Lombardi without him.

You have a valid point there. Can Worlids step into that ROLB spot on a permanent basis for next season?

But if letting Harrison go allowed the Steelers to hang onto other guys like Wallace and/or Lewis, then Harrison has to go. You don't keep an aging LB over two young guys.

Steeler7BR
01-03-2013, 12:43 PM
You have a valid point there. Can Worlids step into that ROLB spot on a permanent basis for next season?

But if letting Harrison go allowed the Steelers to hang onto other guys like Wallace and/or Lewis, then Harrison has to go. You don't keep an aging LB over two young guys.

No but I would over Lewis, even if next year is Harrisons last I think he gives them a better chance to succed than Lewis and Lewis is replaceable. Not for Mike he would be a big loss over the next 5+ years. But I think there is a chance to go with James and Mike under the cap. Lewis can go if it needs to be.

Non the less I do think Lewis played a heck of a season and would be a loss too.

OX1947
01-03-2013, 12:51 PM
I believe Harrison plays two more years and retires. Worilds then takes over.

bornaSteelersfan
01-03-2013, 01:59 PM
We need to keep both Harrison and Polamalu. They are the two best at forcing turnovers. In my opinion, Woodley needs to go. LaMarr looks fat and slow out there. Woodley's cap hit is over $13 million next season and the second highest on the team (behind only Big Ben). He didn't look very good all season and either needs to restructure or get cut.

steelfury02
01-03-2013, 02:08 PM
If anyone needs to restructure - its Little Debbie Lamarr. He's worth 3 valuable roster spots at the moment.